1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,819 | Reviews: 1,020 | Show All Ratings:
vikingloki

I splurged and bought a case for Christmas thinking I could drink the whole thing over the holidays - HA! I've had it a month and there is still a half a case, which I may cellar til next winter.

This is a whopper - carmelly dark, excellent carbonation, nice head sits on this big beer. Complex and almost too fruity sweet, but with a bite of wheat. I'm surprised how much the wheat comes thru. No noticable hop flavors. Alcohol warms all the way down.

It's a bigger beer than an Imperial Stout. I'm glad I bought it, even though I can manage only one per sitting.Recommended, even though I prefer the Kulmbacher Eisboch.

01-24-2008 13:42:45 | More by vikingloki
turkob

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Dark red with a little brown. Little head, no lacing at all.

S: Mmm, best of both worlds. Fruity like a weizen, malty and bready like a bock. Some raisin and banana.

T: Tremendous complexity from an intriguing crossover style. Strong but balanced with lots of malt in the middle and a fruity finish. If I took this blind I'd call it a dark, strong weizen, not really a bock so much.

M: Finishes awesome, with great fruit lingering on the palate. Refreshing yet powerful.

O: Very rich and complex. Never had a beer like this and I like what they did here. More a weizen than a bock to be sure, but elements enough of both styles to be worth trying.

05-25-2010 03:06:57 | More by turkob
dragonglen

Poured this into a Weizen glass.

A - Almost no head, zero lacing, just a few rising bubbles. Lots of sediment even though I tried to take great care in leaving most in the bottle. A dark brown with a reddish tinge, tough to see a lightbulb through it.

S - Lots of fruit, grapes and cherries? My wife said it smelled like wine. In my opinion, very similar, but a little more toned down and a little more earthy. Definitely some malt in there also.

T - The first sip is the best. Malty, sweet with a lot of fermented fruit, like wine. Definitely different than the smell for me. The more I drink, the more the alcohol takes over in my mouth. It's not exactly my type of beer but I like this more than others in it's category.

M - Thick, smooth, lightly carbonated but a zippy, tingling feeling most likely due to the high alcohol content. I wish my homebrew felt more like this.

D - Definitely a session beer, one a night for me. This isn't my favorite type of beer, but I definitely appreciate it. I would only buy this once every couple years as a celebration type of beer, and only to share with another. Even though it's not my favorite, I'm trying to review it based on and compared with other similar beers/styles. It's definitely above average for me, but I wouldn't want to drink this on a regular basis.

03-22-2008 01:03:55 | More by dragonglen
spike882

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Dark brown caramel and cola color with a small of amount of light tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal bubbles on top.

Smell is pretty strong of alcohol, fruit, and spices. Reminds me of plums and raisins but not in an over the top way. Also a hint of banana in the aroma that isn't as much present in the mouth.

Definitely had a sweeter taste than expected but not overwhelming. The first taste was pretty expected with the 12% but feels a little smoother on the second mouthful. Sweet and smooth with some spicyness. As mentioned by somebody else, the flavor really blossomed as it warmed up. Throughout the alcohol left a nice warming feel in the back of the throat. Perfect beer for cooler weather.

Good beer to enjoy at a leisurely pace and would definitely buy again. Even for a weizenbock I was still very suprised about the large amount of yeast in the bottle. Maybe I got one of the end of the barrels. Give this a try if you can get your hands on one!

11-11-2008 00:05:33 | More by spike882
reddomino

Germany

3.9/5  rDev -8%

2009 Vintage

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A This ale is a deep, rich brown with plum highlights. A billowy, off-white head sits about two fingers high from the rough pour, and slowly settles into a thin lace. Small flecks of sediment settle to the bottom of the glass.

S The scent is a bit subdued. Fruits hit right off the bat. Bananas, plums, and some herbal, slightly grassy notes are present. Later on roasted grains and a bit of chocolate come through.

T The taste is a bit hard to describe. A fruit sweetness hits right away with a taste of banana, grapefruit and mango. Some medicinal flavors and roasted notes follow, along with a strong alcohol warmth.

M Thick and creamy with a very low amount of carbonation.

D This is a nice slow sipper with some kick to it. The flavors are pleasant, but seem muddled when compared to the original. The warmth form the alcohol is strong, but not off-putting.

Overall, this is a really good beer, but not as good as the original when fresh. I'm sure with some age on it it would be perfect.

12-12-2009 21:46:45 | More by reddomino
Geuzedad

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured this from an 11.2 oz. into a wine glass. Bottle dated 2010 batch #023869

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that faded quickly leaving some tan lacing.

Smell was dried fruits with some wheat and bread smells noted and a hint of alcohol.

Got a fruit/bread taste and finished with a bite, mostly alcohol, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was smooth, and slick, carbonation noted but not overpowering, alcohol left a tingle.

This was my first Eisbock. Drank it on an empty stomach...wow. A noteworthy experience but not a beer I would have multiples of. Good for a winter night by the fire to feel the warmth, but a night out on the town and I would be looking at the bottom of the bar stool. I would definitely drink it again.

02-24-2011 22:49:10 | More by Geuzedad
HopsHops

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Man...this beer is great...a nice dark brown color...a wonderful sweet smell...and im not into sweet beers...This one is a major exception..the alcohol content at 12.0%ABV may take a few points off the drinkability but i will say outright that this is definitely one of my very favorites..i dont even need to describe it....if you are into beer and havent tried this one you absolutely must try it...
I had an 11.2oz bottle and
i sipped on it for about an hour...drank it straight out of the bottle...i only know the color cuz my mom asked to try it and so i gave her a little bit thinking she would be disgusted by it but she thought it was real good ...i was shocked ....must try it

10-01-2006 02:24:04 | More by HopsHops
jph424

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Very dark brown with a thin head that leaves little lacing

S - Brown sugar, a lot like a Belgian Dark.

T - Candied sugar, roasted malts, with a wonderful sweet flavor that lingers. The 12% is extremely well disguised.

M - Well carbonated, thinner than I expected.

D - Pretty darn drinkable especially for such a big beer. If you didn't tell me the ABV and just kept pouring this for me I would be in big trouble.

This is very tasty. I think I still prefer regular Aventinus but this is a heck of a great beer.

02-07-2008 01:37:11 | More by jph424
weezyfart

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer is absolutely delicious. The nose alone is something that I could spend hours swooning over. At one point I thought it was dutch apple pie. Of course on further examination a few other ideas pop up. But damn, baked apples keep taking my attention.

Anyway, the mouthfeel is delectible as well. Smooth, sultry, and just a touch of alcohol heat. You need it by the way, or you'll fall flat on your face after two or even three of these bad boys.

Big dark fruits on the taste profile. A considerable amount of spice as well. This is not as much a gorgeous beer as it is an utterly delicious beer.

UMAMI!!

11-12-2008 05:42:59 | More by weezyfart
sensorglitch

Ontario (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Had beer at beer fest in Seattle, poured into Four Ounce glass. It was poured out of a pitcher, I am not sure why it was in a pitcher and didn't come out of a tap or a bottle. It felt a little flat, didn't have a bad mouth feel, but it wasn't really one that I totally appreciated. I liked the taste, it had a good taste from what I could tell, perhaps I should try it in the bottle form from the local place and give it another look. I will look for this at world market in the future.

07-09-2009 01:25:34 | More by sensorglitch
Richter35

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into chalice glass; a thick head dissapears almost instantly, leaving just a bit around the edges. Nice appearance...dark brown colour that is quite cloudy, due to the wheat. I've got a bit of sediment floating around in my glass.

Very strong smell... mostly of spices and alcohol.

The first sip of this ale was a bit overwhelming for me, with alcohol immediately present and not very well hidden. Fruit and malt tastes are also there.

Mouthfeel is strange. Faily light for such a dark looking ale and a bit fizzy.

Drinkability is pretty high for me, considering the alcohol %, but should really only be sipped. Any attempt to chug this beer could result in a trip to the hospital.

I don't know what to say. This beer is intense, making it difficult for me to fully embrace it... yet it's rough character and unique taste are well matched to the 12% alcohol content. I beleive I would try this beer again, perhaps in a different glass.

01-05-2010 23:45:50 | More by Richter35
Alewife

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

I like this one!!! Big bubble-bath head that laces down the edge of the glass. Unfortunately, it fades fast. Raisin and prune nose. Rich, full bodied, robust! Lots of sweet malty flavor with molasses very dominant. Dark, very ripe fruit. Hints of dark chocolate. Very smooth drinkability. Give me one or two (careful with three!) of these on a cold snowy night!!
Wish my glass wasn't empty already!

10-21-2002 19:16:54 | More by Alewife
travelfrog

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Ironically, though I lived in Germany awhile back, I tried this in Washington, DC. The beer was available on tap and served in a specially designed, cloudy 0.3 liter glass. Because of that, it was hard to determine the actual appearance of the beer, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt in this category. There was almost no carbonation... but this is not surprising given we're talking about eisbock.

There was the trademark Aventinus aroma apparent (chocolate-molasses with a whiff of wheat), plus some hint of plum and a strong alcohol overtone.

Flavor was intense and alcoholic; it reminded me somewhat of Samuel Adams Triple Bock. Definitely best enjoyed as a cordial rather than drunk as a beer.

Mouthfeel was more brandy-like than that of a beer, with almost no carbonation and lots of alcohol-burn.

Drinkability was fine, with the stipulation that it is definitely something you want to sip rather than gulp. Overall, very good for its type, but I prefer the regular Aventinus personally.

02-09-2007 00:48:50 | More by travelfrog
BryanRex

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

As a big fan of Dubbels, Quads, and Belgian strong dark ales this beer is exceptional and my number one favorite. For the most part, this Eisbock is a "reduced" version of the the original Aventinus Doppelbock - meaning that extra water has been frozen off and separated leaving behind a thick fruity malt that is masked by a moderate amount of hops. Very similar to an Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock on steroids, this is a complex beer with hints of banana, fig, plum and raisin... delicious.

A: Pours a very dark brown with two fingers khaki colored head which dissipates moderately leaving decent lacing and excellent carbonation.

S: Dark fruits all over the nose including banana, plum and a slight peppery scent. There is also a bready yeast aroma and a significant alcohol presence. Excellent smell.

T: The flavor is loaded with sweet malts, but excellently balanced by light hops. Flavors of banana, fig, caramel and raisin malts are present. There is also plenty of spice and clove that give it a slightly burning character which is perfectly balanced with the overall taste.

M/D: This beer is incredibly easy to drink which is surprising for a 12% beverage. Unlike other beers, you can taste this all over your tongue from start to finish. Although the alcohol warms your body it's not to strong. The aftertaste is smooth, delicious and leaves you wanting another sip immediately. Dangerous!

O: Without a doubt this is a world class beer. I prefer it to others including Ayinger Celebrator, Trappist Westlvleteren 8 and and Trappist Rochefort 10. That's a bold statement, but this is an excellently crafted beer. Not to mention that bang-for-the buck it's cheaper than standard Aventinus and it can't be beat. I'm glad I have more in the fridge!

09-07-2011 06:03:58 | More by BryanRex
SoupKitchenBeerSnob

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow. This beer is ridiculously good. As soon as I opened this bottle my nose was hit with an aroma so fine that I had to continue savoring it for several moments before I poured it. As far as the pour, head, lacing, blah, blah, blah-- don't care. What came next was a taste that I can only describe as liquid ecstasy. There's just so much going on with the complex favors in this beer (and I won't pretend that I have a palate so refined that I can identify every one) yet it still goes down so damn smooth. The only negative for me was that the carbonation was slightly less than what I would have preferred, but that may have a lot to do with how smooth the beer felt-- So is it really a negative?
I've had a few beers in my day and this one has to rank in my top five.

01-03-2014 03:01:44 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
BlastTyrant

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark, murky brown with a thick tan head that is well retained. Aroma is very complex, banana, fruit (cherries and figs), tobacco, brown sugar, and spices. Flavor of caramel, clove, banana, and quite a bit of alcohol. Fortunately, the alcohol serves to cut the sweetness and spiciness, balancing the flavor quite well. An excellent beer, one of my favorites.

04-17-2007 01:12:17 | More by BlastTyrant
rm0312

Idaho

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle - A purplish brown with an soft white head. Good complexity in aroma and body. Flavor is sweet and rich with cloves and citrus tastes. Warming alcohol mouthfeel with alot of yeast and bread in the finish. Try this along with a piece of quality dark chocolate.

05-11-2007 23:39:37 | More by rm0312
rodcom

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

This was a hard beer to review since it was so different than most other beers. First observation - no way I would have thought it was 12% alcohol since there was little after taste. Second - I can't wait to get another bottle to try - it was that good and here is why

- nice thick flavor
- taste of caramel and coffee characteristics
- some floaters/clumps in the glass - I poured it in two parts first 2/3 and it was more clear, but adding the bottom yeast made it better

Definitely go buy a bottle.

05-04-2008 12:15:48 | More by rodcom
gabemasiulis

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A) Poured dark brown , slightly translucent with a medium tan head, and very fizzy.
S) Scent is of very strong alcohol and heavy malts up front. Definite scent of wheat and dark roasted malts.
T) Sweet with a little bit of tang, with the clean and light bodied taste balanced by caramel. Strong alcohol notes.
M) Light yet still a little syrupy, Very fizzy.
D) Good drinkability for an eisbock, The extremely alcoholic presence detracts a little bit. I wonder if cellaring would help it mellow at all. Sounds like time for an experiment

11-26-2008 05:12:16 | More by gabemasiulis
bareju

Washington

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into oversized wine glass.

A: Poured ruby-red with a white head that quickly dissipated.

S: Smell is definitely dominated by bananas and alcohol - may be better out of a pint glass.

T: Fruity, dates, plums, bananas comes through strongly, accompanied by sweet caramel malts and a sweet toffee and slightly alcoholic finish. For 12%, the alcohol is impressively hidden.

M: Medium body and carbonation, light coating on mouth. Very pleasant.

O: Delicious brew - flavor profile is very similar to their Tap 6, but everything is kicked up a notch. Alcohol is hidden well and this is actually a very easy drinking beer.

11-09-2013 21:20:07 | More by bareju
TomTwanks

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle, 2012 bottle date

Pours a dark brown with an off white color head, and the head never seems to disappear. Smells of burnt caramel, toasted wheat, figs, and alcohol. Taste is very similar; complex and lingering. Back of the palate is left in greed for another sip. Mouthfeel a is silky, medium-heavy bodied, and heavy carbonation. This is refreshing especially for a 12% beer.
Glad to have purchased this and is a very low key world class beer at an affordable price.

03-09-2013 02:48:20 | More by TomTwanks
diesel59

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

first off... I love high octane.. so right out of the gate we are off to a good start... @ 12% alc./ vol... I am in my comfort zone... poured into a snifter from a 12oz. bottle... looks and pours similar to a barley wine!... so far so good, smells much like a barley wine as well...lots of black cherry and a slight hint of vanilla...the taste is full of black cherry and is very carbonated...the finish is short with some lingering heat and slight flavor... all in all... I like this very much... minus the carbonation...

04-03-2013 01:07:37 | More by diesel59
dohastmich

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

a wonderful dark color with a fruity smell. No sense of the high alcohol content (12 points). That ends with the first sip, however its balanced enough so its not overpowering (unlike Weyerbacher IMO). I second the comment about raisins and vanilla taste. Long lasting taste, without the alcohol remains after swallowing.

Could drink more than one, but probably not a good idea.

02-19-2009 00:40:35 | More by dohastmich
swanmann

Oklahoma

3.35/5  rDev -21%

Best before date may be the 238th day of 2008, in which case this would be a bit late. Poured into a snifter, it's particulate and dark brown with fluffy pale tan head. I get a very sweet smell, apricot maybe, with just a bit of skunk, yeasty and alcoholic. I taste immediate toasty bitterness, quickly mellowing with caramel sweetness. It's pretty full bodied, carbonation still holding up with warmth. I'm not sure I've ever had a wheat dopple bock before. It's warming and sweet, although I would not say approachable. A delicious darker brew for the adventuresome palate..

01-28-2009 06:07:54 | More by swanmann
TPatuto

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Deep brown and cloudy. Tinges of orange and red. Nice little bit of head that quickly receeded to a ring around the edge.

S - Light cloves, yeast, with black cherry hiding in the background.

T- Sweet. Sweetness turned tart and almost bitter on the back end. Flavors of dried fruits impact up front but disappear too fast.

M- Medium body. Corbonation keeps this beer on the lighter side of things. The overwhelming lingering effect is the alcohol, not the flavor.

Overall Impression - Not a very often seen style. Easily drinkable, but the with the level of alcohol and the flavors not being as prominent, it would not be something that I would regularly search out.

04-30-2009 03:16:54 | More by TPatuto
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH