Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,237 | Reviews: 1,096
4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

G. Schneider & Sohn's Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock: bottle dated 2011; serial # 005218.

I poured about half of the bottle into my glass, then gave the rest of the bottle a modest swirl, poured about half of what remained, then gave the final few ounces a more vigorous swirl, poured them in, and there still remained some sediment on the bottom of the bottle. This yielded a hazy, chocolate-brown body that allows some burnt umber and rust hues to shine through when held up to a strong light source. The grayish beige head rises high and stick around a while before slowly falling to a half-inch ring of foam that evenly covers the top of the beer. I waited and waited for the ring to dissolve into lace. It didn't. Rarely have I seen such staying power.

The beer's aroma is strong enough to reach my nose before I lean in for closer inspection. When I do, I'm greeted with an intriguing bouquet. Dark rum and molasses are at the fore, and complemented by notes of roasted dried figs, prunes and raisins, cloves, and black pepper. A very mild citral aroma lurks somewhere in the background. My mother decorates and perfumes the house in the wintertime by sticking cloves into whole, unpeeled oranges The aromas in this beer remind me of times spent sipping ports and red wine and eating rich holiday fare with the faint smell of those spicy oranges in the background.

My first sip of this beer tells me that it begs to be sipped slowly. Its body is thick, almost syrupy. The alcohol's flavor is well-integrated: It is palpable on the palate, and warms both throat and stomach.

The myriad flavors suggested in the nose are present in each sip, but to them are added those of tawny port wine and cane sugar, roasted hazelnut, black bread, and dates in molasses syrup. The flavors dance about on the palate and grow bolder and more complex as the beer warms. Drink this brew slowly.

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock is one of the most interesting beers I've tasted. It me over an hour to finish the 11.2 oz. bottle, and when I was finished I thought to myself that I was just growing accustomed to the beer's intensity and complexity. I'll be revisiting this one soon.

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle number 2012 23291. Served cool into a goblet.

Deep amber brown color with good clarity on the pour. Thin head settles immediately.

Aroma is sweet, malty, and boozy. Nutty, caramel, and toasted malt.

Flavor is intense and very enjoyable. It has a huge malt backbone which gives it a lot of sweetness but there is still a fair bit of hops to give balance. The alcohol is strong but not overwhelming. I bet it would only get better with a few years in the cellar.

Mouthfeel is big in body, low in carbonation, and well balanced.

Overall a very special beer and I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH