Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
biggmike

Mississippi

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this from the bottle at Emerald Coast Brew Fest in Pensacola, FL in 09/2007, dont know how I forgot to rate this. Poured an attractive caramel/brown color. Had a nice white head that hung around a while. Aroma is sweet, possibly of caramel and brown sugar. Flavor is sweet up front, but finishes with a bit of a sour note. Mouthfeel is good. Drinkability is high for a beer with an abv north of 8%. My first weizenbock.

03-03-2008 10:29:53 | More by biggmike
mwilbur

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Bottle 00459 (2007).
A: Poured from 11.2oz bottle into cervoise. Cloudy dark cinnamon hue with light tan head that quickly dissipates.
S: Banana, clove, and bread. Simply wonderful!
T: Mmmm...taste well reflects the aroma...that wonderful banana and clove combo. Not very complex, but with this amazing taste...who cares?! Slight fresh bite to it (I would guess this softens with cellaring).
M: Slightly slick on the tongue...doesn't coat.
D: Very tasty brew and the high ABV is completely unnoticeable (that is until after you finish the last drop!). I love this style and it is a wonderful representative. Highly recommended.
I've seen cellaring has been recommended...I look forward to revisiting this one over the next few years.

03-03-2008 01:15:05 | More by mwilbur
counterpart9

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

I greatly enjoyed this beer. I related it to a favorite of mine, celebrator, except having a bit of a stronger more mature taste to it. The maltiness was well balanced with the alcohol warmth, combined with a deep caramel oak flavor. The higher alcohol feel was present, yet it wasn't over powering. It made for easy sipping beer that could be enjoyed over and over again.

02-29-2008 13:48:56 | More by counterpart9
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

What's with the amazing head on a 12% ABV un-bottle-conditioned, moderately hopped ale? This is beautiful beer, with a cappuccino foam head with a pearly shine and excellent retention, and a dark, only slightly hazy mahogany plum-brown body. Fine bubbles crawl up the sides of the glass, struggling against a very obviously viscous consistency.

Smell: Somehow this is very mild, not too far off from a normal Dunkel Weizen; notes of bubblegum, bananas, and brown bread dominate, with some very pleasant fruity notes, reminiscent of blueberries, raspberries, and dried apples. Clove character is huge as well, nearly overshadowing everything else here. Hops and alcohol seem to be completely AWOL.

Taste: Spicy and sweet, strongly phenolic with notes of clove and hot cinnamon and a well-developed yet subdued malt flavor, full of cocoa, brown bread, brown sugar, and Calvados. Alcohol is hot and enhances the beer's spicy character very well without overwhelming; it is the perfect strength to balance out the very sweet malt base, no more no less.

Mouthfeel: Deliciously creamy, but with a nice, sharp edge of alcohol. Somehow very clean in the finish.

Drinkability: Wow. For its strength, this beer is not that complex, but it sure is good, and it is dangerously drinkable. Mmm.

02-27-2008 12:51:51 | More by soulgrowl
HopHead84

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

A big thanks to Joey from Southbay for my first Eisbock.

A: Deep reddish brown with a 2 finger head that
dissipates almost immediately. Despite the careful pour, there is quite a bit of sediment floating in the glass that is beginning to settle at the bottom. A plethora of tiny bubbles continuously travel heavenward toward the head deceased.
S: I'm pleasantly surprised by a spicy aroma. Malt, alcohol, banana (!), a hint of coriander.
T: The taste is fruity, bready and alcoholic. A great deal of malt sweetness with a decently long biscuity alcoholic aftertaste.
M: Great carbonation and a smooth, full, mouthfeel.
D: The drinkability is scary. It would be easy to drink a few of these before the alcohol kicks in. This beer was thoroughly enjoyable.

02-26-2008 08:04:38 | More by HopHead84
illidurit

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a weizen glass. Body is the same color as the bottle, and there's little head and no lacing.

Smells like unfiltered apple juice, with a touch of banana and alcohol.

Flavors of bready malt with a lot of fermenting apple and some banana sweetness. Notes of dark chocolate.

Not a lot of carbontion, but still pretty smooth. Finish is dirty.

02-25-2008 21:14:03 | More by illidurit
PhageLab

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Tap House describes this one as "An Aventinus Milkshake" so yeah, I had to try one. Served in a frosted Aventinus glass, looks about a 14oz serving.

A - Deep dark brown coloration, beautiful head of froth that never left, great, thick layers of sedimentary lacing. Pair all of that with the gorgeous Aventinus glass, and yeah, perfect presentation.

S - Aroma of mint chocolate chip ice cream. I thought I may have been hallucinating, so I had a few others near me take in the aroma as well. While no one agreed with my ice cream theory, we all agreed on a strong dark chocolate presence.

T - Has the big yeast profile of Aventinus with a great dark malt backbone. Dark fruits also populate the body at various points, but the abv is quite apparent, and now, seeing the 12% mark on the site, I know why.

M - Smooth and creamy, but the alcohol burn causes a hit here. Full bodied.

D - Sorry, this is a delicious and balanced brew, but I could not do another, this is potent stuff. I'd recommend this one with confidence at any rate though, as it is quite tasty.

02-25-2008 00:13:10 | More by PhageLab
clayrock81

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Normally I don't mention presentation, but 2006/19193 posted on the label is classy. So here is my review of the 19,193 bottled beer of the 2006 batch (if they started from 00001) that was poured into my snifter glass.
The appearance is probably the least appealing characteristic, w/ a somewhat thick, cola-esque pour giving it a dark brown/syrupy look (imagine bourbon w/ a couple splashes of cola). The head is minimal and quickly dies., leaving very little lace.
The smell alone atones for this, as it has a strong clove scent coupled with a sugary and slightly fruity smell, sort of like a Belgian triple.
Overall, the taste is complex with a mixture of things but I would say the malts are the predominant thing your tongue will pick up. The spices hit the tongue first mixed with some wheat sediments, then as it passed it reminded me of an acidic red wine for a second. I say that because there is a mixture of fruits in there, possibly including grapes and/or cherries. It got a tad sour and sharp and then the malts kicked up and carried it on the backbite. I would pretty much say it was coffee malts, but there were hints of chocolate and toffee.
It is a heavy body that goes down smooth and slick, a tad buttery even. There could be traces of caramel, butter or even honey in there, the way it feels on the edge of the mouth as it washes down.
If it weren't for the high ABV, this would be a session beer but I would recommend that any beer drinker, no matter your style preference, drink at least one. Due to the thickness and overall bearing of this drink, I would recommend sipping, not just tossing it back, as the preferred method of enjoyment.

02-22-2008 19:33:09 | More by clayrock81
dsa7783

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Single bottle purchased for $3.50 from Gary's in Madison... Individual bottle number of 08545 on the back purple logo sticker... pours a mahogany-brown, ruby-red hue with a foamy head that soon dissipated... smell was very rich and intense, with plums, figs, and caramel... taste strongly complemented the aroma, with thick, rich, sweet caramel, dehydrated fruits, caramel, and figs... strong malts dominated this brew, and the very hefty 12% ABV was noticeable both in the nose and taste... good, thick mouthfeel but average drinkability due to the strong alcohol percentage and ultra-rich, very thick flavor that dominated the pallate and took over this beer... this is seriously flavorful stuff, very overbearing and powerful, and is better off sipped... strong, thick, rich, and dominating, this was certainly an interesting sample that should be enjoyed over a period of time... Worth a try, with a noticeable grape-taste...

02-19-2008 00:33:03 | More by dsa7783
MiguelMandingo

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Picked this up from Grape Vine Market. Thanks for the recommendation James. I shared the bottle with chadspivey. This is my first Eisbock, and if they are all as good as this was, it will definitely be a style that makes its way into my beer rotation.

2006 vintage.

Poured into an oversized wineglass.

Appearance - It is a hazy deep reddish brown. It produced a quickly dissipating one finger head. The head left a thin halo around the perimeter of the glass.

Smell - I get a lot of fruitiness in the nose, primarily overripe bananas. I also get notes of raisin and cherry. There is a spicy, peppery note as well. It is VERY boozy smelling.

Taste - The taste is very similar to the scent. I taste banana, caramel and burnt sugar, with a slight roastiness at the end of the flavor. I taste a lot of booze, but it doesn't detract from the flavor in any way.

Mouthfeel - It has a medium body. It has a very effervescent carbonation level. Prickly enough to cut through the booze.

Drinkability - This beer has awesome drinkability for its high ABV. The flavor and smell were on point. I could've easily had the entire bottle to myself. I will definitely get this again.

02-12-2008 05:17:54 | More by MiguelMandingo
seaoflament

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A 2005/12398 vintage courtesy of Joey (KingG) thanks!

Pours a dark brown but not impenetrable to light, some red highlights when held to the light. A fizzy inch of foam amassed but quickly disappeared.

A wonderful aroma of dark fruits like figs, sweet raisins, dried prunes, cherries, banana and a bit of alcohol. Very complex mixture of fruits, dark malts, and bread. Some hints of vanilla, red grape skins, and raspberry jam.

Just as great on the taste, very complex and I need a moment to think about what I'm tasting. Definitely some dark fruits, sweet, a little toasty and some bread. The wheat is starting to come through like toasted wheat bread with dark fruit jam.

Still well carbonated after almost 3 years. The alcohol is very well hidden and plays a role more in the taste, enhancing the fruity flavors, than the mouthfeel.

02-10-2008 04:53:43 | More by seaoflament
timbro81

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a deep mahogany with little to no head. Smells of deep, complex, rich malts mingled with noticable banana and clove scents and some licorice too. As it sits in my mouth the first thing I notice is that I can hear it bubbling in my mouth! It really comes alive in there. Taste is of dense malts, deep. The banana and clove aren't nearly as prominent. It is a fairly thick beer that coats the mouth. The aftertaste is bready and boozey.

02-08-2008 07:01:06 | More by timbro81
jph424

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Very dark brown with a thin head that leaves little lacing

S - Brown sugar, a lot like a Belgian Dark.

T - Candied sugar, roasted malts, with a wonderful sweet flavor that lingers. The 12% is extremely well disguised.

M - Well carbonated, thinner than I expected.

D - Pretty darn drinkable especially for such a big beer. If you didn't tell me the ABV and just kept pouring this for me I would be in big trouble.

This is very tasty. I think I still prefer regular Aventinus but this is a heck of a great beer.

02-07-2008 01:37:11 | More by jph424
NCSUdo

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle, #2006/20788

A: Pours a clear reddish-brown under a fingers worth of white head. No retention, no lace.

S: Smells of caramel, apples, banana, slight funk, raisins, chewy malt.

T: Sweet, syrupy maltiness, caramel, brown sugar, big boozy alcohol. Very fruity, plums, a little bit of cherry, slightly drying, but overall a sweet finish, and a tad bit of funk much like the nose.

M/D: Big thick, sticky, full body. Alcohol is there in bunches but very tolerable, also pretty warming. Carbonation is light to medium. Good beer, but I don't know how much I could drink. Very strong, very big, very good.

02-06-2008 00:29:13 | More by NCSUdo
chadspivey

thanks to miguelmandingo for sharing this bottle with me..

A: Pours a reddish oaky color w/ small thin head.

S: Boozy bananas and spices that I cant pinpoint.

T: bananas, booze, brown sugar, hints of caramel.

M: Good carbonation, medium body, warming from the booze.

D: They don't mask the alcohol, but I guess it's hard to mask 12%. It's still tasty enough to drink a couple.

Overall, the booziness in the taste and mouthfeel was too much for me.

02-03-2008 08:49:33 | More by chadspivey
brdc

Wisconsin

Small capped bottle, poured into a weizen glass.

Very dark, with crimson highlights, and you can still see some of the floating particles. Little to no head, and no lacing - just some "oily" coating.
The aroma is powerful, although the alcohol is not as evident as it could be for the strength, it is obviously there. Along with it, caramel, yeasts, some spiciness and perhaps cloves.
In the palate, the alcohol becomes even more evident, warming, spicy. A heavy maltiness and yeastiness balances it nicely.
Quite good and interesting, but the original is far better, and you can have more. This is one and out...

02-02-2008 03:14:26 | More by brdc
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Received in a trade with Younger35. Thank you for taking care of another one off my wants list!

This beer pours a very deep, dark, and dirty brown color with a minimal head. I was expecting that with as high an ABV as this beer has. I get big scents of dark fruit, heavy malt, banana, and alcohol. After my first sip I am thinking malt, malt, and more malt. There is a syrupy sweetness in the flavor profile with hints of banana and clove. The wheat flavor makes an appearance as well, but it isn't very pronounced. This beer is medium bodied with a subtle and welcomed alcohol warmth to it. I am surprised how well the alcohol is hidden on this beer. The drinkability is a nice surprise on this beer and went along perfect with cold night outside.

Thank you again Dan.

01-31-2008 03:04:12 | More by TheodorHerzl
Stanford

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

This was the first Eisbock that I have tried. All positive comments aside from the taste. I guess I was looking for the same experience one gets if you compare a glass Johannesburg Riesling with a glass of Eiswien- indeed the alcohol and sugar content of this Eisbock is stronger, but the flavor of this beer was not what I expected. It has a very strong syrup flavor and reminds me of port wine. I am eager to try other beers of this style.

01-30-2008 03:15:07 | More by Stanford
vikingloki

I splurged and bought a case for Christmas thinking I could drink the whole thing over the holidays - HA! I've had it a month and there is still a half a case, which I may cellar til next winter.

This is a whopper - carmelly dark, excellent carbonation, nice head sits on this big beer. Complex and almost too fruity sweet, but with a bite of wheat. I'm surprised how much the wheat comes thru. No noticable hop flavors. Alcohol warms all the way down.

It's a bigger beer than an Imperial Stout. I'm glad I bought it, even though I can manage only one per sitting.Recommended, even though I prefer the Kulmbacher Eisboch.

01-24-2008 13:42:45 | More by vikingloki
Risser09

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner - 2005 bottling #08092 - Cellar temp

Appearance: Brown color with orange highlights. 2" off-white head that is quite foamy. A little bit of lacing.

Smell: Heavy sugar and dark fruit. Apple tartness. Plum, raisin, rum, brown sugar, date and fig. Alcohol. Tannin aroma like a red wine. Licorice and anise. Wonderfully complex.

Taste: Intense sugary nectar. HEAVY dark fruits of date, fig, plum and raisin. I liken this to a pricey rum. Plenty of alcohol to go with the flavors and sugars. Biscotti. A touch of anise.

Mouthfeel: Very heavily bodied with sugar and chewiness. This is a great sipper for the coldest day of the year, while watching the 3rd coldest football game in history!

Drinkability: Pretty good. This is one to cellar and cherish from time to time during the winter. It was very good with 3 years on it. I suspect it could go longer without wavering very much.
I will be buying more.

01-21-2008 12:37:45 | More by Risser09
cichief

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Most recently had on draft at the Frisco Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a hazy amber with a creamy off-white head.

S- Lots of clove and banana, this is a big weizen beer!

T- Warming, without the alcohol burn, lots of spiciness, especially clove and banana.

M- Carbonated well, is smooth on the tongue, full bodied.

D- Too big to have many, but enjoyable. A great winter beer!

01-20-2008 05:03:09 | More by cichief
Antilochus

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 500mL bottle purchased at a Kingston LCBO as part of their winter seasonal selection. Poured into a small nosing glass for this tasting.

Alarmingly large head... cloudy orange-brown body with a large offwhite head that dissipates quickly.

Aromas of banana and bubblegum are immediately perceived. A bit of alcohol on the nose, not bad at 12% abv though. Notes of vanilla, yeast, some caramel and perhaps some medicinal character (cough medicine?). Bread. Whisky-like oakiness. Not too complex.

Big mouthfeel, remarkably carbonated.

Very sweet and syrupy on the palate. Bananas and plums. Hot finish, I suppose anything carbonated at 12% will feel like this. Imagine carbonated red wine... very punchy. Molasses, licorice, yeast, grape skins, pepper. Herby and medicinal, almost like bitters (liqeur). Spiced chocolate? Some sour citrus rind in there too. Feels like it could be loaded with tannins. Interesting.

A German powerhouse. I like how it retains the characteristics of the wheat very well. Why did they put this in a 500mL bottle?!?!

Edit: not as drinkable as I thought. The fact that it is 2/3 the size of a bottle of wine, just as strong, and as sweet as port makes it a little hard to finish. Still tasty though.

01-18-2008 06:40:25 | More by Antilochus
avalon07

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

I picked this up because I'd never tried an eisbock before. It's an interesting experience.

I poured the Aventinus into a flute glass and it produced little head. The color is a brown, not as dark as some beers, but more than a few.

The smell is quite powerful. There is evidence of fruit and some spices like cloves. Very pungent.

You can taste the fruit and spices easily. This beer has a really powerful taste. It's not unpleasant in the least, but be forewarned.

It had a high carbonation content, giving it a good mouthfeel.

In the end, this is a drinkable beer, though I don't know how many of these I could put away in the course of an evening.

01-16-2008 14:15:22 | More by avalon07
hegelec

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

I purchased a bottle of the stuff at the LCBO by mistake. I meant to get the regular Aventinus, but this surprise proved to be welcome.

When poured into its signature Aventinus glass, I was treated to a deep burgundy and very cloudy brew. The tan-coloured head receded quickly into the liquid whence it came, unfortunately. This beer leaves very little lacing.

A cursory sniff revealved the expected smells of bubblegum and banana. Fruity with a hint of clove. One whiff packs quite a punch -- like a stronger version of the original, though perhaps lacking in its subtlety.

The taste is gorgeous. Simple perhaps, but the sweet, dried fruit and rich, malty flavours are extremely pleasing. The hops breaks through occaisionally, with characteristic bitterness, but the sweet and grainy character dominates.

The mouthfeel is full, but refreshing thanks to the high carbonation. Goes down extremely easily considering the 12% ABV. Dangerously drinkable.

Overall quite enjoyable -- similar to the original, but kicked up a notch. Unfortunately, this is a slightly less subtle brew than it's weaker cousin; the more delicate flavours I expect from the regular Aventinus are here overwhelmed by the alcohol and malty sweetness. None-the-less, it is extremely tasty and highly recommended.

01-14-2008 21:56:28 | More by hegelec
funkengruven

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

This stuff poured a very thick and cloudy dark red/brown with very little head. Smell is very nice like the original, only stronger, banana clove aromas dominate. This stuff tastes really good, sweet banana bread and wheat malt are dominant here. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy on the alcohol, but very full and quite satisfying.

Alcohol level in this brew can make it a challenge to drink, definitely worth saving for an after-dinner dessert and then in small quantities. Large quantites can be headache inducing, but overall this is still a really good and complex brew that is worthy of a try.

01-12-2008 04:19:38 | More by funkengruven
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH