Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -12%

Bottle number 2008/08529

Poured into a snifter a hazy dark brown color with a smallish off white head that fell quickly leaving behind zero lacing. Aroma is lightly smokey, some raisins and mustiness. A little bit of fruitiness comes through as it warms, hints of banana and spice with some earthy, funky yeast. It almost has BSDA nose to it. Flavor is quite strong, notes of grapes, apples, bubble gum, rum soaked dark fruits, yeast, and spice. Lots of heat from the alcohol and the subsequent burn on the way down. It tastes pretty good, but the alcohol is just a bit too much for me.

KeefD, Feb 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Miller Lite fluted glass (give me a break, I don't have a proper glassware collection yet). Bottle number says 11085 with a date of 2005.

A - Mahogany, reddish-brown with highlights of gold on the rims. A very mysterious, yet appealing-looking beer.

S OK I've realized I have a bad sense of smell, but this one smells like ripe fruit, and I can definitely detect the slight banana smell that others have spoken of.

T Wow, this part is definitely noteworty! Raisins, vanilla, dark fruits, even a little bit of chocolate. Hold on while I take another sip...Some spice at the end, mint and pepper, maybe sage, or is that my hippie roommate?

M Syrupy and creamy, yet some carbonation in there, a fine and delicate balance, like the Cold War "balance of terror"

D Insidiously hides the towering ABV, I would drink several of these in a night before I start being a little too honest with my friends, and only then realize the predicament I was in.

raoulduke37, Feb 09, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one from a skinny 11.2oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This beer poured a dark, murky, brown color with huge amounts of sediment in suspension. The tan head started off 1/2" and quickly dropped to zero. No lace to speak of.

S= Very heady aroma profile full of fruity phenols, bubble gum, banana, clove, and some mild solventy alcohol...Nice.

T= Initial flavors of bready wheat malt and a general sweetness are quickly overshadowed by a huge phenolic and estery fruitiness. I noted an unbelievable dose of bubblegum with the banana trailing behind. No hops to speak of, and the finish was spicy and warming with solventy alcohol.

MF= Not quite heavy bodied, but certainly quite syrupy. The carbonation level was moderate and added to the slick mouthfeel.

D= This is a big beautiful beer. Though it wasn't much to look at, the concentration of flavors was incredible. Even the huge ABV is pretty well concealed, making this more drinkable than it should be!

spointon, Feb 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

First experience of this beer in North Bar...and i think i have never had one like it...just like a concentrated Aventinus!

Very very interesting beer indeed. Try it!

I'm guessing it might be a tad expensive(£6) but its a great example of why i'll be buried with a bottle of a schneider beer in my right hand and a BrewDog in my left!

futurefjp, Feb 07, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep opaque brown with a unique head that actually fizzes like soda. The carbonation head is like a pepsi rather than a beer and I thought that this was pretty cool. It continues to buble after settling and is audible.
Smells very cider-like, apples and some raisin. Sweet but light.
Taste is like most good thicker bocks- raisin, all around sweet like dark fruit. A strong presence of white grapes which I enjoyed quite a bit. Theres a bit of an earthy aftertaste, like cheddar cheese or something. The sweetness can really be a bit much, though. Aged bottles seem to be smoother than fresh.
The carbonation in the mouth is very biting and up front on the tongue, though not overpowering. Moderate body and fairly smooth considering the ABV and sweetness.
Overall its a very nice, sweet sipping drink. Not too heavy and the ABV givs a boozey warmth which is detectable when it warms a bit towards room temp. All around very nice.

BirdFlu, Feb 06, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Cedar wood with grains of orange and tawny that together resemble something like a very dark rum. It's a plethora of colours with lots of flashy accenting despite a thick and densely smoggy body. Surprising, given the natural cloudiness you would think it's unlikely so much highlighting would be possible. Less surprising is the leanness of its head which, despite a stable contribution of bubbles, struggles to support itself amongst the over 12% alcohol.

For a German beer it smells an awful lot like the tropics - an intensely effervescent yeast perspires notes of dark and tropic fruit. In particular, the beer is oozing - I mean absolutely sweltering - with over-ripened bananas. There's also a ton of prunes, raisins, grapes and apricots. A big dousing of spice and traces of vanilla and cocoa beans are noted as well. The strength of both phenols and esters is staggering and extravagant.

The yeast continues to work wonders in the taste as well. Spicy clove like phenols make a zesty, peppery perfumed addition. The esters contribute tangy, fruity notes and impart the taste of juicy orange, dried plums, and lemon zest. There's a sweet hint of bubblegum. The amount of suggested flavours is near limitless. I usually hail Belgian yeasts for their well cultured persona but apparently German strains deserve a little love as well.

The mouthfeel is truly artful: it's an ultra-creamy sensation with substantial alcohol warming. The beer is dark but void of roast. The gentle profile of tart fruit and spice is surprisingly full in character. The texture is fluffy and creamy and the beer drinks curiously light for something of 12% (of course the alcohol will hit your head even if not your palate). Be forewarned: the Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock is dangerously quaffable for its strength!

This doesn't have the toasty bread, sweet malt and rich dark caramel qualities of a normal eisbock. It does, however, share the fluffy, creamy fullness and dark, spicy, fruity, (nearly refreshing) character of dunkelweizen - and that makes for a dangerous drinkability. This is presented as the original eisbock and while I can't confirm that, I can say that it is still one of the finest examples of the style (wheat based or not) that I've yet to try.

biegaman, Feb 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

I poured from a 11.2 ounce glass into a hefeweizen glass. It pours a deep mahogany with a thin white head that leaves quickly. The aroma is phenols and alcohol. The flavor is deep molases, medicinal herbs and an overriding note of alcohol. The alcohol lingers in the finish. The beer has a full bodied chewy mouth feel. With its well hidden 12% abv the brew is a sipper. A very good beer that was nothing like I expected.

bonkers, Feb 02, 2009

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle into an oversize wine glass.

A- Rich, dark, translucent brown. Pours with very minimal white head, which fades quickly, leaving but a few tiny, inconsequential spots.

S- Smell is sweet and malty, with a bit of fruitiness (bananas and prunes?), and a touch of anise/cloves.

T- Sweet and malty, with hints of dark fruits/ripe banana. Bit of alcohol bitterness on the finish. 12% ABV is very well blended.

M- Moderate/low carbonation, but fairly full feeling and smooth. Bit of alcohol warming.

D- Considering the high ABV%, pretty good. Nevertheless, the level of sweetness + ABV would make me want to limit this to a one and done experience.
4's all around on this one.

Future outlook: Not stylistically one of my favorites, but a nice, interesting change of pace. I might get this one again to serve the same purpose sometime down the road.

DoctorDog, Jan 31, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -21%

Best before date may be the 238th day of 2008, in which case this would be a bit late. Poured into a snifter, it's particulate and dark brown with fluffy pale tan head. I get a very sweet smell, apricot maybe, with just a bit of skunk, yeasty and alcoholic. I taste immediate toasty bitterness, quickly mellowing with caramel sweetness. It's pretty full bodied, carbonation still holding up with warmth. I'm not sure I've ever had a wheat dopple bock before. It's warming and sweet, although I would not say approachable. A delicious darker brew for the adventuresome palate..

swanmann, Jan 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Not the biggest german beer fan, but this is a quality beer that really had me reevaluating my thoughts on beer.

The appearance is a clear dark amber brown with a very beautiful dark khaki colored head that retains fairly well.

My nose picks up chocolate and grainy malts, brown sugar and raisins. Very sweet.

Same as smell, starts off very and ends with subtle and nice bitterness that is very pleasing. I would jump at the chance to have a session with this beer.

CoolJosh, Jan 20, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +5%

Got this one from ABhatter, thanks for the beer dude!

Poured into my Duvel tulip, damn this thing can fit a lot of beer in it!. Pours a nice mahogany color with a small tan head that didn't appear longed for this world, but lasted almost until the very end.

Smell is dark and sweet as soon as you open it. Brown sugar/molasses. You get hints of prunes, raisins, and dark sugar all over this, slight alcohol smell as well.

Taste is over-ripe fruits, not sickeningly sweet, but sweet. Some spice to it. Tastes a little like a good ham glaze with booze in it. Has a slight bitter alcohol flavor akin to a child's cough syrup. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming, considering the 12%.

Mouthfeel - Almost off the edge of thick and syrupy. Teetering on too much, but right there to enjoy. Nice carbonation that surprised me from something so thick.

Drinkability - I loved this one, but would not crack open more than one in a sitting. I shoveled outside for a few hours and then chose this beer over some bourbon, or coffee to warm me up, and I was happy with my choice!

A good beer that I would gladly purchase and push on others to consume. I will be buying more of this in the future, that is for sure.

discovolante65, Jan 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a beer that will knock you on your butt if you aren't paying attention to that high abv. Poured a dark ruby color with a big head and lively carbonation. Head dissipated to a thin covering as I nursed this badboy. Smelled the typical weizen aromas and a bit of brown sugar or raisins. You get the same thing in the taste and get some real sweetness with the kick of alcohol. I could feel the alcohol more as the beer warmed while I nursed it. This Eisbock has a nice mouthfeel that has a bit of a medicinal feel to it. This Weizen-Eisbock hides the alcohol well though I still know it is there and therfore one in a sitting is more than enough for me.

cpn920, Jan 11, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Dark brown, thick and hazy with a little head and a bit of fizz.
S - Sweet and fruity smelling, notes of molasses and prunes with the boozy sting.
T - Quite fruity and strongly sweet. Tastes a bit of alcohol, but not much. Remarkably smooth
M - Quite effervescent with a pleasantly medium body.
D - Amazingly decent, much better than the massive ABV might suggest.

Quej, Jan 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Pours a vibrant garnet with a tan head that quickly dissipates.

S - Sweet like dark fruit, with a strong alcohol component. Sort of like sweet molasses with some mild spices backing it up.

T - Akin to the aroma, the taste is sweet and fruity with a powerful underpinning of alcohol. It is a more concentrated version of the standard Aventinus brew. Spices enhance but don't dominate, and the strong alcohol presence is well balanced by the dark fruit and malt.

M - Viscous, a little thicker than medium bodied, with plenty of carbonation.

Notes - This is an incredibly deceptive beer. The taste belies the strong alcohol percentage. One of the best beers I have ever enjoyed, to this point.

HeyItsChili, Jan 07, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Deep, dark and hazy. Carbonation provides a medium head with decent retention all they way towards the end of the pint.

Smell - unexpectedly mild. I thought this high octane eisbock would reek of booze but it is rather quite pleasant. Sweet perfumy alcohol and roasty, spicy and yeasty.

Taste - very nice and slightly complex. Similar to what you smell. Sweet and tons malty. A sweet start contains chocolate and dried fruit notes. The banana and clove are less than what I thought they would be for a wheat-based beer. The middle is only slightly coarse from the high alcohol. The finish is smooth citrus with nice lingering bubblegum complexity. Fits the style very well and has a little more complexity than I originally anticipated. I love this beer. Should it be called an eisweizen instead?

Mouthfeel - heavy body like a light syrup. Goes down smooth with nice carbonation.

Drinkability - Very easy drinking still at the end of my pint for a 12%... Fuck... suddenly I realize I'm bombed... What the hell happened?...

1 YEAR AGED:
The head retention is short but the aroma is great - a bit boozy, sweet malt, yeasty, dark fruits, chocolate, a bit more banana bread and clove maybe... The finish has less citrus I think. Very smooth

ecoastman, Dec 30, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Man, do I love this beer. Just when you thought Aventinus couldn't get any better, they went and froze the sucker. Who needs water, anyway? Pours a hazy dark brown with a good head from a steady pour. No lacing to speak of. Aroma is of ripe plums, raisins, sweet malt, cinnamon, blueberries, and a very little bit of alcohol. Thick and mouth-coating, pulling back just short of syrupy. Flavor is of bruised plums, braised pears, raisins, and sweet red apples. Finish is sweet and lingering, and warms as it goes down. I would never in a million years have guessed this was a 12% beer. Excellent brew.

BasementDweller, Dec 29, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -19.1%

Reviewed on 7/31/08. Bottle, 2005. Pours brown with a small tan head. Aroma is quite sweet, of raisins, alcohol, and super sweet malt. Flavor is rather vegetably (squash, carrot) and sweet. I tasted these exact same flavors in another bottle and wasn't sure if the bottle was in poor condition, but as this is my 2nd bottle, I feel pretty confidant in regards to its vegetably taste. Strong but still drinkable (wow, I couldn't believe it was 12%!). Decent, but not particularly a favorite.
6/4/7/4/15 (3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Pours an extremely thick opaque pitch with 1 finger of frothy, sticky, white head. Alcoholic aroma flows out of the bottle while pouring. Though it looks black in the glass, it glows ruby red when held up in light.

Smell: Wow, sweet spicy alcohol hits you like a slap in the face... or rather, a swift kick to the balls. Notes of sugar cane, molasses, cloves, powerful cinnamon and nutmeg, and a strange higher tone of freshness. Like smelling alcoholic pumpkin pie spices (I should try that for my next Thanksgiving).

Taste: Carbonation first tingles the tongue. This is followed by a tart, sour cherry or blood orange acidity. Bitterness ensues; the same type of bitterness as eating chinese herbal medicine. A slight rubbing alcohol taste afterwards. I would rate this one higher, but the alcohol is a little too evident.

Overall: This is POWERFUL. I mean... WHEW. I've had some Belgian 12%'s but the alcohol wasn't nearly as noticeable. This seems like it'd do a pretty good job cleaning engines... or killing brain cells. (catch the reference?)

thekanna, Dec 21, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer pours very cloudy and dark brownish amber with a really thick, pillowy head. No lacing.

The aroma is mostly dried fruit, prunes and raisins. A lot of roasted malt sweetness in the nose too

The taste is really quite sweet and alcoholic. If you'd had Aventinus the flavour is almost the same, just with a more pronounced alcohol and more malty sweetness. This is aventinus on steroids.

The mouthfeel is pretty highly carbonated and medium bodied.

Pretty hard to drink more than one of these beasts.

EatsTacos, Dec 18, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours dirty brown with lots of floaties and clouds. Strong off-white head that lasts. Banana bread, cane sugar, yeast, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and cake batter fill the nose. Rich, full mouthfeel and taste. Great balance between the wheat and banana / yeast esters and spice. A great winter beer.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +12%

As my beer taste refines, I like to try new things. Enter Aventinus, as recommended by some friends. Pours with more carbonation, but settles out quickly. The nose is a bit yeasty, but very pleasant. The taste is full and immediate. The cloudy chocolate brown presentation some find a bit imposing, but after a taste, I find myself willing to want another. The taste is smooth and exotic. So many flavors come across the palate that I find my taster confused, but very pleased. It is difficult to pinpoint the flavors, but raisins and a bit of beechwood come to mind as I recall my dad breaking a branch to allow me to smell and taste the unique beechwood flavor. This is one German brew that comes up tasting like the monks of Belgium had a hand in the recipe. This brew is outstanding! It has some sweetness about it, but not like the Christmas brews. It is certainly worth a taste, especially if you enjoy the Belgian brews.

micalj, Dec 15, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

2007 vintage.

A - Poured 3/5 of the bottle into my big snifter, going to let it sit and warm for a while. Creamy looking head surprisingly formative. Liquid is murky brown.

S - Wow, that's intense. Big-time raisin bread drenched in alcohol. Has some of the banana/bubblegum of a regular Aventinus, again, spiked with alcohol. Smells achingly sweet.

T - Not surprisingly, much like a regular Aventinus, with raisin, big lightly-smoked malts and clove, just considerably more intense. To taste, the alcohol does not burn terribly, but holy shit, do you ever feel it after just a few sips.

F - Syrupy, but not so much more than a normal Aventinus. Good feel.

D - A real intoxicating treat. Could easily go in place of a cordial.

Patrick999, Dec 11, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

a: This was a muddied dark brown. It poured with a smallish, creamy white head.

s: Huge aromas of yeasty, wheaty bananas dominate. Not much of the spiciness from the original comes through.

t: Big, yeasty, phenolic flavors of bananas and rasins absolutley crush the palate. I could feel the 12% abv more than I could taste it if that makes sense. This was good, but I prefer the more subdued original.

m: The chewy body and creamy carbonation are still here. The only difference is a warmer exhale.

d: I struggled a little with the 11.2 ounce bottle. I'm glad to have tried this, but I'll go back to the original.

DIM, Dec 05, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a dar, clougy brown with very small beige head. Aroma of wheat, chocolate, plum, raisin and alcohol. Stronger fruit and alcohol taste than regular Aventinus. Tastes of raisin, plum and blackberry. Nice warm alcohol presence.

corby112, Nov 28, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A) Poured dark brown , slightly translucent with a medium tan head, and very fizzy.
S) Scent is of very strong alcohol and heavy malts up front. Definite scent of wheat and dark roasted malts.
T) Sweet with a little bit of tang, with the clean and light bodied taste balanced by caramel. Strong alcohol notes.
M) Light yet still a little syrupy, Very fizzy.
D) Good drinkability for an eisbock, The extremely alcoholic presence detracts a little bit. I wonder if cellaring would help it mellow at all. Sounds like time for an experiment

gabemasiulis, Nov 26, 2008
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH