Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

jesus h christ ..this beer has got a bite... a bit thin...

pours a nice big head, low lacing.

..quite tart, with a sweet warming kick..

.batch 2006.

..has a strong wheat library...this is a big beer, but the thinness and appearance lower it to just average.

. needs to be more ...syrupy? ...but i have wanted this for a while and am not sorry i got it..if i had a cellar i would buy a few!!!

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

This was one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while. Its not a style that I visit very often either. After an aggressive pour I still didn't get very much head at all. It was a very dark brown and had a sweet molasses smell to it. First few drinks I pulled a brown sugar and kind of a hot cinnamon taste from it. Is a good mid body beer with a little bit of tobacco taste in it as well. The alcohol is recognizable but I would have never guessed 12%. Drinks more like a 8 or 9. A great beer overall. When I got down to the end of it I notice a ton of sediment. That's to be expected.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Mahogany brew, hazy with some highlighting. Great tight foaming head with good retention, lacing is okay.

Highly phenolic aroma, spices and malt flavor as well as wheat-grain lightness. Clove and fig.

Syrupy malt presence, sweet as hell, and very full and creamy. Diacetyl and clove fight with dark caramel-toffee malt, no real significant hop flavor. Wheat makes it so very easy to drink. Finish is full-bodied with lots of flavors left over. The first time I had this I thought it was the tastiest double digit abv beer I'd had. It's still way up there.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a snifter
Unknown brewing (bottle number 023597), iced 05/07

Poured a deep dark brown mahogany with a small very light brown quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of strong roasted dark rye bread, cloves and cinnamon, raisins, bananas, sherry, molasses.

Taste was upfront strong bitter sweet dry sherry or whiskey with molasses, raisins and leather followed by a harsh bitter earthy and leathery feel and some light burnt sugar and grassy hops on a long whiskey liquor finish.

Palate was medium to full bodied, creamy, softly carbonated lightly astringent and strongly alcoholic.

Overall, this feels like drinking liquor. Pairs up nicely with a cigar, but a little harsh to drink. A sipper at best. Very strong and interesting aromas though.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Has a dark brown red color that almost looks like a bruise, the head is small and dies quickly
S: Very sweet smell almost in the range of fruity candy.
T: the taste is very smooth and enjoyable. relatively fruity and sweet with a noticeable alcohol level, though it is faint enough that it does not impact the experience negatively.
M/D: this is a suprisingly smooth and esy to drink beer. there is a noticeable alcohol in the finish, but nothing bad, or too intense. overall its a good beer and very enjoyable

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle - A purplish brown with an soft white head. Good complexity in aroma and body. Flavor is sweet and rich with cloves and citrus tastes. Warming alcohol mouthfeel with alot of yeast and bread in the finish. Try this along with a piece of quality dark chocolate.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

This was the most tempting option available at my local bar (which always has an excellent selection of beers), so I went with it. Glad I did.

Appearance - Rich, tons of head, and quite inviting.

Smell - Somewhat floral, at least for the style. Other than that, pretty it pretty much had an aroma of what it tasted like.

Taste - Quite malty, and I'd imagine it would go well with a cigar. Hints of vanilla, but a stronger presence of toffee, dates, and caramel. The alcohol is barely noticeable behind all the flavor.

Mouthfeel - Absolutely exquisite. Very silky and velvety. I have never had a beer quite so luscious. Exceptional.

Drinkability - Surprisingly high, considering how complex and heavy it is.

Overall, this beer was extremely enjoyable. I would not hesitate to get it again, and in fact, I'll probably try to get it often.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Dark caramel color with a nose of candy corn and/or dark candy sugar. Flavor is the same with stewed dark fruits - raisins and prunes with yeasty burnt currants. It was not without a certain character reminiscent of a dark/ strong belgian ale. Because of that I will take the regular Aventinus over it for its bock/weizen character. Really good though.

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Update 3/4/11: What the hell happened to my Weizen Eisbock?

Poured into an Eisenbhan Wiezenbock glass, the color is the same, but there's better head retention. The aroma is more boozy and grapey, but I can still make out those weizenbock charactersitcs. The taste is where it goes downhill; lots of uber-sweet raisin flavored alcohol dominate with the clove and banana bread tastes pushed way aside. Mouthfeel remains very likeable, big, syrupy, and smooth, not too boozy in this respect, and sticky around the mouth. Damn, this is too sweet; I'm going to struggle to finish the 330 ml serving.

This bottle was a 2010 vintage (costing $5.49), so perhaps it needs a little more time to be outstanding. Or perhaps my tastes have changed so much since my last sampling nearly 4 years ago. I've had my helping of Aventinus Classic in between that time, and I'll be more than happy to drink that in the future.

(4/23/07)

This better be good. I spent $5.19 for an 11.2 oz. bottle at Town and Country Liquor, and it has a printed number on the back of the label. It says 2005/11325 on the back of the label. Well, the moment has come to try it out:

Dark red to brown in color, it's an eye catcher, but where's my head? I barely got one when it was poured, and it quickly went down. But that's okay, I enjoyed everything else this brew had to offer. Have you ever tried to mix a Doppelbock with a Hefeweizen and an Eisbock? That's the best way to describe this beer. It has that delicate yeasty, phenolic, fruity flavor of Hefe's, the chocolate maltiness and raisins flavors of a Doppelbock, and that body warming kick of a Eisbock. All of this creates an extremely well-balanced brew, an incredibly smooth texture, and the defying drinkablilty which begs me to have another of these. At 12% ABV, you better watch how much you drink of this, but it's so damn good.

If this review couldn't get any better, I now know I can find this at quite a few establishments, and cheaper too. Hooray!

Original rating: 3.5/5/5/5/5

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bottled marked as 2004 vintage...

A- Absolutely no head, barely any lacing as it decants which quickly recedes completely. There's tons of sedement in this guy, chunks floating around like a snowglobe. Murky dark brown body.

S- Apple cider, vinegar, the faintest banana.

M - Medium body, bitter, slightly carbonated finish with a tang of its 12% ABV. Leaves the mouth with a thick, creamy residue.

T - The alcohol comes out prominently. "It tastes like liquor," was the only help I got from my girlfriend on this one. There's an undertone of caramel and beneath that, butterscotch that counter the alcoholic tang.

D - Wow. I've had high ABV's before, but nothing like this. Be careful, this is like a couple of Bigfoots kicking you in the pants. Clocking in at a mere 12, this guy mirrors and even mocks the 19% Dogfish Head WWS, in my experience. It's bitter, but overall that should be countered by a cautious sipping.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a dark translucent brown with a thin head and little lacing. The aromas are of banana, clove, and toffee. The taste is complex and quite nice if a little bit on the sweet side. More clove, cinammon, baked apples, bananas, and a long sweet malty finish with lots of clove on the finish as well. Quite spritzy in the mouth, medium bodied. Not really cloying even though its a somewhat sweet beer. Surprisingly drinkable given the alcohol which is well hidden. A nice after dinner sipper.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

As I enjoy the normal Aventinus, was interested to try this when in the Weiss Haus in Munich! Bottle was dated 2006 with serial number around 13000. Aroma is heavy, very sweet, spicy, all you would expect of Aventinus but magnified in the Eisbock. Taste is almost overpowering at first, extremely fruity and sweet, spices, malts and heavy textured and almost burns the back of the throat as it slips down, like a shot of brandy. The alcohol content is very obvious and the heavy almost thick texture and sweet flavours linger long in the mouth. I enjoyed this very much, but would only want one, and it could never be considered and thirst quencher or session beer, and for that reason I rate the drinkability down. An amazing beer, but one to savour on a cold evening to warm you up!

JohnW
B'ham UK April 2007

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours opaque dark-brown with a long-lasting half-finger head.

The nose is a mixture of weizen and doppelbock-- a ton of fruity esters, bananas and berries. There's a shit-ton of malted wheat and barley, almost overpowering, and some alcoholic spiciness.

Tastes like it smells, tons of esters, fruit, and wheat. Malty sweetness dominates throughout, followed by a strong alcoholic finish.

Medium-bodied, with very little carbonation. Tasty as hell, but too malty and alcoholic to be drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Dark, murky brown with a thick tan head that is well retained. Aroma is very complex, banana, fruit (cherries and figs), tobacco, brown sugar, and spices. Flavor of caramel, clove, banana, and quite a bit of alcohol. Fortunately, the alcohol serves to cut the sweetness and spiciness, balancing the flavor quite well. An excellent beer, one of my favorites.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

a: dark brown with amber showing through edges, surprisingly small head that disappears, no lacing
s: very sweet smell -- caramel & plum aromas with hints of alcohol -- reminds me of a barleywine
t: brief carbonation to start that settles to sweek fruity taste & finishes with a nice warming alcohol sensation & brief carbonation to end -- aftertaste remains on the palate for continued enjoyment
m: almost full bodied & a roller-coaster ride from start to finish between carbonated book-ends, sweet flavor & great alcohol warmth
d: i enjoy heavy beers & this one is easy to drink vs. others. an excellent beer -- reminds me why i really like this style of beer -- too bad there aren't more brewers out there making this complex beer. can't wait to have the 2nd one i have in stock!

This is a more refined but bigger version of the regular aventinus doppelbock. The beer is basically a German version of the barley wine. Dark and very fruity ( almost clove-like ) on the nose. This is a sipper that evokes the complexity of doppelbock but with bigger finish with higher ABV.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $4.95 nearly a year ago. Bottle # 5901 of 2005.

I poured this beer into a brandy snifter. It was a dark, cloudy brown that took on a rubyish hue when held directly up to light. Modest half-inch of off-white head briefly appeared, then dropped to a thin collar of foam. Very sparse, spotty lace.

The nose on this beer was rich: clove-like spices vie with cherries, apples and toffee, with a whiskey-like alcohol scent cutting through like a hot knife through butter.

The alcohol flavor, while still quite noticeable, is not as dominant in the taste as in the smell. Lots of other flavors crowd in, none of them hoppy. This is a sweet and boozy malt bomb, in the best sense of the description. I let a friend take a sip, and he described it as caramel apples and bourbon. I second that motion, but in a way that neither gets out of hand. For all it's sweet booziness, this is a well-balanced beer.

Sticky, syrupy mouthfeel that is just right for this beer: it would be nasty if it was any thicker and sensibly diminished if any thinner.

Drinkable, in that I'm very much enjoying drinking this as a dessert after a filling dinner. But is it drinkable as a session beer, did I hear you ask? A SESSION BEER?!... Yeah, I didn't think you asked me that.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Eisbocks are something new to me. This will be my first. I enjoy the regular edition of Aventinus. I'm excited to see how this one compares.

APPEARANCE: Bottle 672 from 2006. Pours an amber brown into my Aventinus glass. A very small head forms despite a vigorous pour. Very few bubbles are left on the surface after just a short time. No lacing to speak of.

SMELL: A lot going on. Very strong aromas of caramel, wheat, banana, dark fruits, and oh man, alcohol. I'm no where near surprised at the 12% this beer has.

TASTE: This is delicious. It's just like the regular version but amped up quite a bit. Again, the alcohol is very noticeable, but it's not that dry. The familiar flavors of banana, caramel, and sweet fruits are all there, but this beer makes them all really intense.

MOUTHFEEL: Fairly undercarbed, but I don't mind it too much. Otherwise the mouth is great.

DRINKABILITY: I really don't advocate drinking several 12% beers in one sitting, but I really think you could do it with this. It's a very warming beer and goes down all too fast.

This is whole different experience than drinking the original. You can't really compare the 2 to each other, but each one is a unique and great drinking experience in and of itself.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

I'm writing this review as I drink this from a standard pint glass. Poured from an 11.5 ounce bottle (# 04029, 2006) with a quick fizzy head that dissipated quickly. Globs of yeast float around. Color is a very murky brown, and slightly unappealing. Aroma includes alcohol, grapes, an unidentifiable but distinctly sour smell, apples, and dried fruit. Taste is distinctly malty, with essentially no bitterness. It's quite sweet, with vinous and vanilla notes in the forefront, along with the distinct solvent taste of alcohol, which is quite pleasant with the other flavors. The bubble gum and banana flavors I hear about are also present, but subtle and harder for me to detect. There is a distinct smokiness in this beer, not unlike a pinot noir or merlot wine. The mouthfeel is syrupy, but fairly thin compared to what I was expecting. The drinkability is very high, except, I imagine, when you get to number 3 or 4 and realize you're tanked. Oops...I just burped...and the banana taste was bold! All in all, one of the best beers I've tried thus far. Very high recommendation.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

2006 batch.

Pours a chilled pumpkin orange with a few globs of yeast that plop into the goblet. The bottle is individually numbered -- neat! A tiny white head foams up briefly, then runs to the outside edge of the glass.

Smells quite spicy, with cloves and cinnamon and orange peel coming through the hefty alcohol and sweet malt. Up front banana really shows off the wheat character. No discernible hop aroma besides the vague citrus. Sweet, honey-like, and reminds me of a fall potpourri. Excellent.

A sip reveals a creamy, yeasty, sweet beer, very different from your normal Eisbock. Flavors of sour banana and clove bring to mind a German Hefe on steroids. This is spicy, estery, and maybe just a bit mouth-numbing…. Otherwise, the 12% (?!) is quite well hidden, I’d have guessed more around 8%. Quite warming in the back of the throat, and finishes malty with a bit of chocolate, but ultimately sour. Perhaps a hint of oak in the flavor? Intriguing.

This is quite the unique beer; I can’t say I’ve had anything else like it. Smells much better than it tastes, to me. It's odd, I keep thinking of a Belgian strong dark ale crossed with a German Hefe. Not a session beer at all, but it’s hitting the spot tonight, and I think it’s well worth a try. Thanks to Khaismus for sharing!

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

A- Slightly cloudy dark amber with a thin cream lace.

S- sweet and malty, with some alcohol and a lot of fruit... orange peel and bananas.

T- Very unexpected. slightly sour, with fruit flavors and honey, but no hops to speak of. Has an interesting quality that I can't place... peppery, spicy, sour, yeasty, biscuity... A little out of style for eisbock... even weise-eisbock seems a stretch. the wheat is there, but not as evident as... some off flavor...

M- creamy, with medium low carbonation, and little linger.

D- I would have a bottle, but not very often.

3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle number 2004 / 23488 ~ It's old!

The pour into my too-large Aventinus normal weizen glass raises almost no head at all, just a thin tan layer that quickly (and noisily) fades to nothing. There's a lot of thick, chunky sediment in the murky brown/red/copper body. I suppose I should have poured carefully, but I didn't expect this from the style. A strong, sweet raisin scent poured out of the bottle with the liquid immediately. There are also notes of molasses, pepper, mint, and alcohol. The taste is syrupy-sweet, with huge maltiness. I suppose there's a bit of flavor reminiscent of wheat, but perhaps I wouldn't have said so if I didn't have a label to read. The alcohol is also quite forward. For something so huge, the mouth isn't absurdly thick. Carbonation is minimal, though. A bit rough, overall.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. vintage bottle purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA
2005 vintage, no. 10023

Poured a thick, dark, copper-mahogany with no head but a ring of bubbly lace.

The aroma was absolutely amazing and hit me as soon as I cracked open the bottle. Super rich, dark, sweet and complex. Malty, boozy (brandy-like), yeasty and oaky with notes of ripe fruits, caramel, toffee, maple syrup and vanilla. As the beer warmed, the weizen characteristics came out strong. Sugary sweet banana esters and bubblegum were apparent.

Taste was very deep, complex and intriguing as well. Malty rich and very fruity up front (apples and pears were noticeable) with a big, bourbon-like alcohol kick that came in mid-palate and finished even stronger. Dark fruits, including raisins and plums, along with a woody quality, were also quite prominent.

Body was medium with a syrupy and unexpectedly fizzy mouthfeel.

At 12% ABV, this beer was surprisingly drinkable. While the alcohol made its presence known, the intense flavors and aromas compensated for its potency.

This beer is truly a seamless melding of a weizen and an eisbock. Definitely a joy to sip and savor.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Vintage 2005.

The beer poured a crystal clear brown garnet with no head. I was careful to decant off the lees which are quite abundant in this beer.

The aroma of the beer was bursting with vinous grapes, raisins, and alcohol.

The flavor of the beer was rich with melanoidins, concord grapes, dark raisins, and warming alcohol. The hops were there in the background to help balance out some of the sweetness.

The mouthfeel was syrupy and dextrinous and complimented the rich flavors perfectly. The carbonation was low, but perfect for the style.

This beer was immensly rich and complex. It was rediculously drinkable considering the 12% ABV. This beer is truly a masterpiece. I can find no flaws.

Pours a deep amber with hints of purple. Light head with very little retention.

S: Nose is light with notes of nut bread, banana, plum, rasin

T: Rich with a strong alcohol finsh. Sweet plum and rasin with hints of dried fruit.

MF: Smooth with plenty of carbonation. The finish is a bit raw with alcohol. Could be because I served this in a shaker glass ... d'oh!

D: Great stuff, though I prefer the subtler Weizenbocks. Great flavor, though I don't think I could/should drink more than one of these in one sitting. It's 12% abv and there is no hidding it. All in all though an all around good beer. Try it for yourself!

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH