Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Aventinus Weizen Eisbock

My number one favorite beer of all time is Aventinus' Wheat Dopplebock. I knew Schneider and Sons had a bevy of other brews in their stable, but they’ve been mostly hard to come by. So I was quite surprised to come upon single bottles of this one at my local soda pop and beer shop.

Normally I don’t read existing reviews before trying a new beer, but I was so perplexed by this one that I had to check suggested glassware and food parings before I indulged. How I missed the 12% ABV is beyond me – perhaps it was my excitement in finding another Aventinus variety that I didn’t have to book an overseas flight to get. Who knows? But the prospect of having something this strong – and reading that the high alcohol content was thinly veiled – intimidated me somewhat. Thankfully I’d be enjoying this one at home!

As others have noted, the brew pours like flat cola or a deeply colored tea. The two finger high tan colored head quickly dissipated as I poured the contents of a 12-oz bottle into an oversized wine glass (as recommended by the Bros Alstrom).

I was afraid that this would be a cloying, barley wine styled ale, but as I sip – and sipping here is key - I find that I’m pleasantly surprised.

This is not a composition for a big beer neophyte. As it is, the Dopplebock takes some working up to. However, this beer would be delicious as an apertif, or even a nice after dinner beer. I’m enjoying mine after a spicy, Cajun-styled pasta dish.

One thing you must do before serving this beer is to swirl before you pour. As I was enjoying my glass, I noted that there were huge particles – black when viewed looking down through the beer, and disturbingly cream colored when looking through the glass – floating around. Not very appetizing! I gave it a good swirl in the glass and you could hear the effervescence of the active yeasts bubbling like champagne.

Believe me – you’ll miss all that this beer has to offer if you fail to swirl – preferably in the bottle before your pour (silly me!). Thankfully I have a second bottle for a chance to get this right - on another night, of course.

Plums, dates…even a hint of clove or nutmeg, and caramel-chocolate undertones give this beer rich character. It could be the kissing cousin of a barley wine, but is nowhere near as cloying, and is thankfully absent the heavy syrupiness of holiday fruit loaves.

A deep sniff reveals the heavy alcohol content, yet the taste is smooth. I’m glad I’m done slicing and cooking, however, as I truly believe that I’d be greatly impaired to the point of risking injury by this one.

Truly a smooth, blankety mouthfeel, without feeling like you have sweaters on your teeth. Fizzy only when swirled, and settles to a near-creaminess. Drinkable? No. Worthy to be sipped, savored and enjoyed? Absolutely!

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

An insanely charcterful beer with a ton of power, elegance, and complexity. Why this one isn't considered better than the Aventinus Weizenbock is beyond me.

The beer pours with a weight and thickness that implies a very malty beer. Dark brown with deep ruby hues. A delicate, lightly-tanned head sits atop the beer is quite stately fashion. Where lacing is void, legging is very evident.

Deep malty aroma of very Old English Ales. Would be too sweet, but is tempered by fruit flavors of figs, dates, prunes, grapes and cherries...quite 'fruitcake' like, with a shot of rum. Very warming, but not fusal or caugh-syrup tasting.

Probably would be thicker if not thinned by the 12%, still very full, rich, and moderately syrupy. Sweet and sticky in the finish, but with remaining power and strength. The beer improved greatly as the brew warmed to room temperature and expelled its pin-prikling carbonation. A good 'beer alternative' to a port wine or brandy.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brown with a one-finger creamy beige head that thins to a quarter-inch layer.

Smell: Deep and rich malty and fruity aromas: bananas, dates, caramel and alcohol.

Taste: Fruity and malty. Flavors of banana, dark fruit, raisins, dates and caramel. The finish is spicy and warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick and rich, full-bodied with tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious and drinkable, despite the alcohol.

Overall: This is my first expereince with the Eisbock style. Amazingly rich and flavorful.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep dark brown with a small whitish tan head that falls fast with no real lace.

Aroma is big sweet malt loads of fruit dripping with molasses some light alcohol presence. Great aromas here.

Taste is big huge malt lots of sugars floating around mingled with loads of fruit and some light spice. There is some light alcohol mingled in the flavors that comes out and aides the flavors. Man this stuff is good huge taste.

Mouthfeel is nice big medium with mellow carbonation not quite as big as the flavors which is a little strange.

Drinkability is good a very enjoyable brew big on taste, malty is growing on me. Want to thank babydoc and BCG BIF for this bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a murky dark brown, with a thin swiling head that fades almost immediately to a very thin ring, leaving behind very little lacing.

Smell; lots of caramel, brown sugar and chocolate malts, with some sweet fruits, such as apples and plums. There's some wheat notes, as well as a touch of alcohol in the nose.

Taste; sweet brown sugar, and caramel with a little chocolate stand out up front. After the first couple of sips some of the fruits come out with apples, pears, plums and figs. There's more a weizen profile in the taste, with cloves and wheat, plus a very well hidden alcohol presence.
Mouthfeel is rich and full bodied, and very easy to drink for the high abv.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours with just enough foam to call it a head but not enough to please the eye. Body is brown like cola but far more inviting than an actual soda. Nose is slightly rummy, full of cloves, pine apple and a hint of banana. Nice.
Taste is pretty much the same ... but what I really marvel at is how well the alcohol is concealed. I've had many brews this strong, or nearly so and none of them concealed the alcohol as well as this one does. The taste kind of reminds me of some American barley wines, like Alesmith, or Stone or even North Coast's. I really enjoy the flavors here. Mouth is smooth, with low carbonation. I could really drink lots of this ... I'm really enjoying this one.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark and cloudy teak colored beer with virtually no head. Aroma hints at sweet flavors, with cloves, figs, and molasses present. Very bakery/patisserie type smells in here -- rich, warm, inviting sweetness on display. On the palate, the first thing to show itself is hugely sweet dates, then a flash of sour fruit comes in before a big, raw alcoholic burn takes over at the tip of the tongue and back of the throat. That alcohol burn is way too harsh and detracts from the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer significantly. Overall, interesting effort, but it lacks balance and subtlety while displaying all the pitfalls of "extreme" beers. Still, I can imagine that if you want a warming drink in the winter time and don't want to drink liquor or mulled wine, this would do.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock poured into a flute glass from a 11.2 oz. brown glass bottle.

Beer poured deep, cloudless mahogany color with a quick, fizzy head that didn't retain very well and left no lacing along the sides of the glass. The nose was quite good: dark, complex malts with strong tones of dark fruits and a lingering, sweet spiciness. The scents coming from This one are quite good. The mouthfeel was a thick, syrupy maltiness that slid about and around the tongue and left lingering alcohol taste on the pallette. The beer opens up and allows you quick glimpses into its narrow and interesting complexities: brown sugar and raisons along with other flavors poke up at you. Although the abv is aparent at the finish, this beer remains still deliciously drinkable although still hindered by it. I wouldn't reach for more than a few of these in a row on a single sitting, but I would drink it regularly if more available to me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

11.2oz brown bottle with bottle # 00490/2005 on the back. Pours a murky brown with some sediment. No head or lace to speak of. Looks thick. Smells of dried dark fruits, brown sugar, alcohol. Very complex. Again dried dark fruit and brown sugar. Very fruity. Thick and syrupy. Hard to drink on a warm June night. Not the best Eisbock I have had but it shoul age very well. I think I will buy some more and stash them away. This one was just too young.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This pours out a brownish plum color with loads of carbonation rushing up. Not much head so to speak, but I didn't expect one. Smell is primarily alcohol and yeast with some sugared raisins and sweet dark fruits mixing around. This reminds me of a red wine, actually, maybe something like a cabernet sauvignon.

The taste isn't boozy at all, unlike the telling smell. I get a ton of alcohol warmth, but the main show is a very tender yeast and wheat. It reminds me of cream cheese a bit. Very soft and delicate the way they work together. Tons of dark fruit and sweetness work their way around in here, especially at the end where the nice "spike" of tartness hits. I half expected this to be a sludgefest, but this is surprisingly smooth and well carbonated. I'm sipping this thing way too fast, and the crisp finish only leaves me wanting more.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Why is it that I love Kulmbacher so much, but can't find another Eisbock that is even palatable??

This is a great brew up front - malty, caramelly (don't think that's a word, but oh well), some raisins, prunes, dried other various fruits, etc. But once the beer rolls to the back of your throat, the alcohol just burns the entire way down. It burns, it burns, it burns. it is like beer with a grain alcohol residue. Que horrible!

Was definitely worse when it was cold, but even as it warmed up the alcohol was just too much (I felt this about the EKU as well). Too bad.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

The brown body starts off with small specks of a head that quickly disappear. Alcohol and bananas are fighting to be the dominant aroma, but alcohol wins. Clove and phenols are also in the nose. The taste has all of the above as well as a bready flavor, brown sugar and a cough syrup cherry. The mouthfeel is chewy and somewhat sticky. This has good drinkability, but I think the looming 12% abv might disagree.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle: Poured a deep copper color beer with a small dark foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma is just plain incredible –mix of dry fruits (figs, prunes and raisins) with some floral malt. Taste is also dominated by the sweet fruit aspect but doesn’t go overboard. Alcohol is well hidden and body is just above average. I probably wouldn’t drink more then one in a session but I would love to smell this aroma over and over again.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

This pours a dark burgandy with a medium head. The smell is very strong almost wine like with alcohol and a smoked aroma. The taste is very powerful and concentrated with a dark fruit flavor,again wine-like, with a smoked wood flavor also. The m/f is heavy with the flavors all mixing well. For a beer that high in alcohol this is very drinkable. This is a beer that should not be missed.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a very murky brown with lots of sediment and a creamy thick tan head with great retention.

Smell is huge - Bananas, Yeast, alcohol, raisons, and other dark fruits. Very Sweet.

Taste is very fruity with hints of bananas, tangerine, dates, and other dark fruits, overall slightly sweet, but not overwhelming. Also a bit of alcohol flavor and yeast.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick.

Overall a very tasty treat, and very easy to drink.

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%

Thanks to BA akeeper (my sis) for hooking me up with this one.

Served from a 12 oz bottle (number 044454) in a Duvel tulip at just below cellar temperature.

A - Cloudy, dark chestnut in color with a noisy, one-finger, cocoa colored head that shrinks rapidly into absolute nothingness - and silence. Mmm... that's about it. Even the etching at the bottom of the Duvel tulip can't raise even a whisper of head. When swirled vigorously, a gossamer appears like a materializing spirit, but is gone just as fast. No lacing at all. A tear rolls down my cheek. Sad.

S - Huge, sweet raisins and tawny port wine. Easily noticeable alcohol at cooler temperatures. Dark date bread. Molasses. Over-ripe bananas. If I didn't know better I'd think I was about to have a Quadrupel. Nice, but agressive and concentrated.

T - Very candy-sweet with a big punch of molasses and tawny port. The wheaty yeastiness makes a cameo in the middle, but is soon upstaged by the big alcohol that leaves a trail of embers all the way down the throat. Finish is yeasty and sweet, but hot. As the beer warms, however, the alcohol burn subsides significantly. Drinking at warmer temperatures is a must! Alcohol aside, this is a very tasty beer!

M - So nice going in - slick and substantial with a little tingle for the tongue. The looming alcohol, however, lacks any subtelty until the temperature nears 65 degrees. Unfortunately, by the time the beer rises to room temperature, it winds up being a smidge flat. Perhaps it's best to let the beer warm before popping the cap.

D - This beer curiously hangs somewhere in the limbo between a fortified dessert wine and a big beer. It definitely needs to be enjoyed as a nightcap like a glass of port wine or perhaps a cordial. If not, might I suggest the excellent Aventinus Weizenbock instead?

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle number 2005 05094.

After getting the yeast nicely swirled, it pours a very dark, very murky brown. A very thin head is force-poured, and fades after a moment to a barely-there white ring on top of the cloudy beer. Very small, very slow bubbles are barely apparent through the dark murk.

Heady scents of raisin, dark fruit, burnt sugars and alcohol are strong in the nose; There are very slight scents of wheat influence, banana or fluffiness, but mostly it's rugged, alcoholic, and yeasty.

Marshmallow and banana are more prevalent in the first half of each sip; The first flavors are smooth, slightly bouncy, then take a turn towards spicy yeast and tart alcohol. Big dark fruit and rummy alcohol and sugars build into the finish. It all mellows as it warms, the solvents of the alcohol fading out and more sweetness rising.

Mouthfeel is smooth, very lightly carbonated, with a creamy finish.

Be sure to drink warm! All the good properties come out as it warms.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

I was pleasently surprised to find this one in the blue mountains of Sidney. Poured a murky eggplant color into a wine glass with little head and faint ruby hue towards the bottom of the glass. Smell was delicious, dark over ripe prunes, red wine aromas and some chocolate notes in there as well. Taste was heavenly with powdered sugar, plum, wheat, chocolate, grape....the complexities were nerely innumerable. Mouthfeel was also a plus as there was a nice hoppy character accompanying the wheat and fruit flavors, making for a melange of different tastes to pick up on. This is some pretty strong juice, so for the unseasoned beer drinker one might be enough, however I think a couple bottles of this could potentially do quite nicely for just about anybody wanting to try an exceptional beer experience. Final thoughts: fabulous, this is a beer with some great complexities going on. Not only is it a great style of beer, but also one with alot of personality. Cheers

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle number 21542, dated 2004. Pours a murky, chunky, dirty brown. Protein chunks everywhere, and a very thin head. Not surprising considering the ABV. Honestly, it's not much to look at.

Aroma is huge. Dark ripe fruits, caramel, sugar, malt, a little banana, and a good amount of alcohol are mostly what I get.

Flavor is without a doubt, the best out of any eisbock I've ever had. Raisons, figs, dates, dark caramel, clove, and fruity belgian yeast are dominant. Sweet, and borderline cloying.... just as I feel an eisbock should be. Also slightly phenolic, with a solvent-ey kind of finish. Reminds me a bit of eiswine actually. Alcohol rears it head after the swallow. Hot finish lingers.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, and heavy. Drinkability is decent, but this is definitely a sipper.

This is the best eisbock I've had to date, and I think it owes quite a bit to the wheat. If you like the original Aventinus, you'll LOVE the eisbock!

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle marked "8.0% ABV" as opposed to the 12.0% listed on BA. Dated July, 2005.

The color was a dark amber-brown with a thin, tan head that fell quickly. Strong aroma of wheat malt with notes of caramel and citrus.

Very powerful wheat flavor with big alcohol buzz and some residual sugar. This is a big wheat taste and has the citrusy aftertaste as well.

Seems my bottle is really fizzy; maybe right for the style but not my preference.

Not completely drinkable owing to the strong alcohol and fizzy texture.

I'm glad I tried this but I won't be making a habit out of it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

I had this bottle at the Weisses Brauhaus in Munich.

Mindestens haltbar bis 23.02.07.

A: Murky, dark chestnut. Off-white head, some retention and lace.

S: Alcohol (sherry), raisins, bread, slight spice.

T: Bread, alcohol (sherry), raisin, nut, spice. Sweetness is nicely balanced by the alcohol. Potent, but very well rounded. Truly exceptional.

M: Moderate to full body, moderate carbonation.

D: Very good, especially considering the strength.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Thick cream colored head topped this dark brown beer. There was a strong smell of malt with hints of banana and alcohol sneaking in for the ride. The beer was very thick with profound malt flavors. There was also banana and hints of coffee noticed. The alcohol left the mouth dry and in need of another taste. This was a very good beer that needs to be enjoyed slowly and over a period of time. If not, the alcohol is bound to sneak up on you.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

Ruddy chestnut colour with a thin, light brown head. Fine bubbles formed sheets of lace on the glass. Bready yeast aroma with some warm alcohol, banana, clove, bubblesgum, and a vague tropical fruit character. Candy sweetness, breadiness, and banana hit the palate right away. More fruit, including banana, comes out towards the end. Spice stays quite mild throughout. Great depth of flavour with mild alcohol warmth. Full, almost heavy body, low carbonation. Smooth texture with some dryness due to the alcohol. Great complexity and balance - very enjoyable. Thanks northyorksammy!

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Appearance - pours a cocoa-cola brown with large irregular chunks of stuff floating around. The effervescence is strong enough that it is lifting these chunks upwards instead of letting then settle out. A tan head is under-developed and doesn't last long.

Aroma - intense yeast and grain, alcohol is prominent.

Taste - sweet, grainy, raisiny. A Belgian candy taste, yeasty flavors come in late. Brash, hot alcohol is in every aspect of this beer. An intense weizenbock for sure.

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, good carbonation, nicely done.

Drinkability - a potent form of wheat brew, a good pick now and then.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH