Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle number 2004/08211. I gave it a good home. 12% abv noted.
Aroma: Rich banana and malt with a good twinge of alcohol.
Appearance: A nice tan finger of head formed at the pour and settled to a patchy cover fed by slow rising bubbles. Slightly translucent deep brown glass with pretty legs but no lace.
Flavor: It’s Aventinus on steroids. Much more assertive alcohol presence. Warm, but not hot. It adds a very spicy note to the malt. This beer assaults the senses with alcohol
Mouthfeel: Pass the fork and knife please. This beer is HEAVY. Thick body triggers an instinctive chew.
Overall Impression: Heady stuff. The alcohol jumped right on me. It’s been a while since I’ve had a head rush like this. This one demands respect. I keep harping on the alcohol aspects, but it all is infused into a heavy wheat beer. I found that very small bites, I mean sips, helped me savor the sweet malt flavors and fruit/raisin notes. The subtle nose is just the bait then WHAM, meet my little friend. It’s almost syrupy in taste and mouthfeel, about half way to a Sam Adams Triple Bock. Very intense; one to savor not to session. Enjoyable, but I think I’ve punched my ticket.
Recommended

HardTarget, Jan 15, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

a barleywine tempered by the taste of some wheat and over-the-top barley. This is not an ice-filtered weizen. Barleywine aroma and colour. The original Eisbock? Well that's something, although I thought that happened in the WWI transportation to the Kraut troops.

Sammy, Jan 14, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -20.3%

This beer pours a brown color with very little head and no lacing on the glass. The aroma was very weak, but alcohol comes through well here. The flavor had a lot of alcohol in it as well, but it has a raisin sweetness. The mouthfeel is pretty thick on this one, but the alcohol character is too upfront and unmasked.

clvand0, Jan 04, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Very dark brown with much red and little gold. Beige head vanished within seconds. The nose was extremely yeasty and the alcohol content was obvious. Lots of caramel with some burnt wood also. Tasted of coffee grounds and severe alcohol. A challange for me to drink because of the alcohol content, but not bad at all to taste. Spices mixed with carbonation and alcohol make this a helluva kicker going down! Semi-sweet aftertaste.

Opethsprite, Jan 04, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer pours a nice brown color with a small head that flals to lightly ring the beer. The nose is rather light, with some raisin coming through, but lots of alcohol hit me as well. The flavor is full of raisins, but also a very strong alcohol character that isn't hidden by the malts at all. The feel is very thick. Drinkability is just okay. I am not a real big fan of this beer. Its not bad, but still not good.

kmpitz2, Jan 03, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass with a nice tan 1 inch head.
Mollasses & black licorice, I can taste the alcohol on the trail end of a sip, 3/4ths through and I can feel it.
Toasted and caramel malts with molasses and black licorice the primary tastes.

This is a good Eisbock no doubt, but my money is spent on the Kulmbacher Eisbock though

HogHill, Dec 30, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

poured a deep garnet-blood red that is hazy in the center and a thin head that dissappears completly after a bit. winey/vinious aroma with alcohol and the german wheat beer aroma lying underneath it, estery and bubblegummy. good amount of carbonation that cuts through a little too much of the decent body on this beer. a thickish wheat beer upfront in the taste followed by a spicy phenolic finish with a good amount of alcohol. I couldn't even finish this though, either wasn't up to it/or couldn't. I was hoping for this to be better than what it was...worth a try at least.

shippos, Dec 27, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

So here I sit, finishing off my bottle of Aventinus Weizen Eisbock after drinking the majority to fortify myself as I wrapped a few last minute Christmas presents. It's 11:30 Pacific time, almost Christmas, but I feel I will be sleeping in a bit tomorrow.
Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle, number 10550, 2004 vintage, into one of my favorite tasting glasses, Aventinus Eisbock had a semi-clear brown hue and some yeast-imbued sedimentary chunks that settled to the bottom. The off-white head was modest and quickly shrank down to a thin collar, leaving no lace.
The nose had elements of bready malt like dark rye bread, fruity esters of raisin and plum, a sneaking spiciness and a blast of alcohol. The taste was quite sweet on various levels. First was the fruity swwetness of raisins and grape juice overlaid with plum, followed by a sweet caramel malt note. More fruity sweetness came through in the form of banana and a hint of vanilla. Then, after a short-lived detour to some mild spicy hops taste, it was back to the sweet, this time brought on by the smooth alcohol bite that left a glowing warmth in the chest as each taste was swallowed. The feel was medium-bodied, smooth and rich.
Overall, I found myself liking this beer the more I sipped. The alcohol content isn't subtle by any stretch and that limits this beer a bit. However, it was a nice late night relaxing beer that will ensure that Santa's reindeer crashing onto my rooftop won't roust me from the blissful slumber I will soon embark on once I finish this beer.

Boilermaker88, Dec 25, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

12 oz single from Red Wagon (Rochester, Michigan) obtained and consumed in December 2004. Poured in a manner to retain the sediment in the bottle. Copper brown that is mildly cloudy and a thin head that quickly settled to a thin ring around the glass. Smells primarily of alcohol and perhaps some spice from noble hops (Saaz?). The taste is sweet alcohol and some bock character. The alcohol sting stays thoughout and after really searching beneath it, I could pick out some othe flavors. There was a hint of clove and, oddly, a hint of cocoa. Mouthfeel was medium-thick and carbonation was moderate. This bock wasn't 'bock' enough for me and the alcohol was just way too much. I'd like to recommend Kulmbacher as a much better representation of the style.

mentor, Dec 23, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Where to start? A beer not to be trifled with.
Not a beauty, as it sits in the glass, the off white head having disappeared in mere moments, even after an agressive pour. Deep murky purple ink, very cloudy, a bit oily looking. Detritus floats around the glass and I can hear a bit of rice krispies. I want to know what colors are hidden in the mud so I hold it right up to a bare light bulb. I can just make out dirty brown with purplish edges, lots of flotsam and jetsam....
The nose is a bit understated, but interesting. Bananas and wheat as you would expect, then a lot of roasted malt, burnt sugar, toffee and a hint of chocolate. Then alcohol.
The taste is not understated. It says MALT. Bread, fruits, plums maybe, almost like a dubbel, and a tart acidic finish that STINGS. There's the alcohol. Like a sip of single malt without the peat. Vanilla esters, assertive alcohol, Wild.
It looks only slightly carbonated, but the mouth says different. Lots of zing and a full, oily, lip numbing fizz.
Very drinkable, but one at a time. I couldn't see having more than one of these, and then only as the tasty punctuation to an evening.
Yes yes yes.

horndecker, Nov 10, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep caramel with a very vigorous, thick light tan head. Sweet candy and caramel tones on the nose. Rich wheat also noticable. Lots of tropical esters, dark wheat, and candy tones dominate the palate. Very thick and concentrated flavors on the palate. Thick and coating mouthfeel. Almost syruplike texture. An intersting version of a world-class beer. Always worth a try, but definately not an everyday brew.

winomark, Nov 03, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Rather clear brown hue with ruby hints, bottle-conditioned with a few floaties around. Aroma is indeed reminiscent of an aventinus in the breay malt profile and gentle spiciness + plummy and banana fruitiness, but the difference lies in the heating factor. The eisbock is quite alcoholic and sweeter. In mouth, wheat chunks are to be found playing around with lovely aventinus flavours, but it’s very heating which makes it less friendly on a sunny day. Dark ripe fruits and pancake syrup character is quite appealing, but this remains vastly inferior to the regular to me, although I prefer the lower level of carbonation in here.

Rastacouere, Nov 01, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had no idea what to expect from this one, and had no clue that I was going to be drinking something 12% ABV. Pours a dark red like black cherry. Fizzy white head quickly disappears. Aroma is of tart fruit, almost like a soured belgian ale. The flavor is of Black cherry, banana and spice with a dose of yeast and a warm alcohol, along with slight chocolate in the background . Similarities to hefeweizens are there but with more of a strong belgian or barleywine character. Incredibly smooth and rich, this is very easy to drink and a highly recommended beer.

yeagerbm, Oct 07, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The reddish brown body was clouded with oodles of yeast. The initial fizz of carbonation was cola like, and the resulting head did not last. The latent carbonation was soft and steady. The aroma was mostly alcohol with some red cherries thrown in the mix. The wheat based origin of the beer was not quite evident on the nose, as there was nary a hint of banana. The taste was again quite different than the unfrozen Aventinus, with the front and center flavor being peppery spiciness. The fruitiness showed up in the form of rum raisins, licorice, and plum. There was some evidence of oxidized character in the form of tobacco juice like bitterness. The hops only provided an aromatic floral background with minimal bitterness. This beer is much closer to a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, than a Weizenbock that it started as. The alcohol is more concentrated than the non frozen version and it does not hide quite as well. Very warming and spicy, but a bit harsh. As a result, the drinability takes a hit.

rajendra82, Oct 06, 2004
4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Good God. I don't know where to start. I've had this brew twice now, and finally willed myself to write something about it. I'm reviewing this from memory, but that's not much of a problem as the ghost of this brew is firmly implanted in my anterior cingulate (check it out -- the part of the brain responsible for long-term memories). It is a nice dark color, much like a porter, very dark brown. The aroma is mystifying -- chocolate-covered cherries, raspberries, and blueberries, combined with a dark, biscuity or cookie-like maltiness that will not be repressed.
The taste is unimaginable. I mean it. You have to try it, because reading about it does you no good. It is at once aggressive and caressing. It is cloying -- pure chocolaty, malty, dark fruit death. Then it changes to banana, and plenty of it. Then it introduces a hint of soy sauce. Have you ever had bananas Foster? Liquify it, drink it, and you'll get an idea. The mouthfeeel is luxurious, the drinkability better than it should be for such a high ABV. Both times this was my finishing beer in a night full of German brews, and both times, it marked my demise. Respect it or pay the consequences.

bultrey, Oct 01, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Aroma shows a deep dark fruity quality from malts. Phenols a lot less present than the regular version. Seems like a yeast quality.
This is pleasing.
Fizzy head that dissipates rather quickly. Dark amber with brown hues, cloudy, yeast setiment floating.
Very nice balance of malt and phenols. Starts with a mice dark (bock type) malts, moves to phenols iwth nice blending of both. Somewhat sweet, but not even approaching excessive. Alcohol in taste with warmth. At the end a slight oxidation presence round of flavors nicely.
Impressively smooth. Thick oily quality that adds to smoothness. Fair amount of carbonation despite no head.
Lovely in its intensity. Can't move through this quickly. I like that malt intensity without it being cloy.

garymuchow, Sep 26, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

This is my first Eisbock, so i'm really not sure what to expect. I do love it's younger brother though and hope for a similiar experiences with this one.
Pours frothingly into a tulip glass with it's large off-white head receding to 2 fingers while guarding the deep amber liquid. Huge aroma of bannana and other fruits with just a slight hint of alcohol. Taste hides the alcohol remarkably well. It does warm as it is going down the throat though. Mouthfeel was slightly sticky. Definetely an interesting beer and style, one which I will try to sample more.

soper2000, Sep 23, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

This is, by far, the least-offensive high alcohol beer I've tried. It poured a muddy brown with faint, almost champagne-like, bubbles. The head dissapated quickly and left no lace on my glass.

The aroma was a sweet, dark raisin smell, not unlike sweet wines. A sugarlike acohol presense was also noted.

The taste was intense, yet pleasant! There was a quick alcohol blast when it hit the middle of my tongue and the vanilla/green banana flavor whipped around in my mouth. What a ride! The alcohol then warmed me deep with nearly no aftertaste.

Surprisingly drinkable for a high alcohol brew...this one could be dangerous.

Guinness4me, Sep 13, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -5%

Almost reminded me of the sports drink Orbit when I first took a look at it. I recomend that everyone hold it up to a light after they pour themselves a glass. This beer is a cross between Kwak and a Banana daquieri. A good level of carbonation makes it easy going down, which is good because you can really taste the booze. But the alcohol flavor works well with the fruity flavor of the beer itself, so it doesn't detract from the easy of drinking.

StuFox, Aug 26, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a cloudy reddish brown, with a finger and a half or so thick sandy-offwhite head that dissipated into a thick haze over the surface. Real nice lacing. The smell is very powerful of banana and cloves. I didn't get any vanilla out of this, but I damn sure smelled a lot of banana and a lot of cloves. The taste, too, seemed almost exclusively these two things. Exceptionally spicy. This one also makes no secret about its 12%abv, either. It's right up front and you know it the whole way down. Very warming. Perhaps august in Atlanta isn't the ideal time of year to drink this one. Maybe closer to Christmas this would be more appropriate. Still real good, though. This stuff is also really thick and almost seems to leave a thin coating in your mouth. Very good. Very smooth. Will definately buy this one again.

SilentSabre, Aug 22, 2004
4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

11.2 OZ bottle. Bottle 2004/ 10697.

Pours a cloudy chocolate milkshake brown with some yeast floaters.

Smell is intense vanilla banana and cloves with an intense malt scent. Like Aventinus only concentrated more. Seriously spicy.

Taste is sweet and very intense; alcohol level leaves an unmistakable heat in the mouth. Pretty much concentrated Aventinus. Lots of vanilla and banana and cloves flavor.

Mouthfeel is almost chewable.

Incredibly drinkable and intense. Only the cost and rarity prevent me from having this as often as I like.

Zorro, Aug 16, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 - Bottle #10304

Presentation: 33cl brown glass bottle. Both the obverse and neck label has a familiar looking dark metallic purple color which has the words Aventinus Weizen Eisbock in metallic silver. The reverse label has a bottle number of 2004/10304 and a listed strength of 12.0%.

Appearance: Pretty clear body, dark brown, its sits in my tulip with a thin whispy head that falls out from an initially large frothy tan colored head. Some nice looking lacing when it is allowed to rest, but I dearly love swirling this beast in my Duvel Glass and watching the alcohol coat the sides and slide down the glass walls with a thick viscous swish. Amazing.

Nose: Incredibly sweet luscious mashed Bananas leap right out of the Glass. Strong banana alcohols, yeast, banana milk, a whiff of banana peel, fresh bread, cloves and, erm did I mention Bananas?? Lots of bubble gum, candy and some tropical herbs mix into the alcoholic Banana body.

Taste: This is one Big Ass Weizen Eisbock. Clove encrusted Bananas, figs, some chocolates, molasses, more Bananas, thick feeling alcohols, tropical herbs in the back end that quickly swing into a viscous estery ending.

Mouthfeel: This has an awesome body, massive texture, feel and a viscous banana torso. Creamy and smooth, the alcohol is there but it is a pleasurable experience to witness its strength.

Drinkability: I found this to be easily imbibed, way too easily, and it will buzz you. So much so that I drank this one last night and only now am I in a fit state to submit this heavily edited Review from last nights drunken typing. Yes, this one DOES creep up on yer!!!

Overall: It’s like imbibing Liquid Alcoholic Bananas at times, way, way, way over the top but I dearly love it!!! Fantastic!

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 12, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

This is the less appealing cousin of the great Aventinus Wheat Beer. The taste of the malt and alcohol overwhelms some of the fruit tastes and other flavors, making this a less drinkable beer than regular Aventinus. Still, it's a complex and rich brew, well worth trying.

GnomeKing, Aug 06, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle number 018238, although I have no idea what that means. The previous reviewer seemed to be able to deciper the year from this number. I cannot.

Pours a nutty clear brown with red glints. Short-lived coarse head and a collar. I didn't expect this to be foamy. At this high an alcohol level I wouldn't have been surprised if there were legs in this glass, but there are not. This beer has big chunks of yeast in the bottom. Watch out if you don't like yeast.

You must let this warm up to at least 50 degrees Farenheit before drinking. Colder than that makes this beer seem harsh and acidic. The warmer it gets the better.

Smell is rootbeer, cloves, band-aid-like phenol, and smoke. You can definitely tell this is going to be a sweetie from the smell! I get no hops in this at all.

Taste is long and substantial and completely echoes the smell. Rootbeer, ricola cough drops, cloves, maple syrup, and a touch of bubble gum and cotton candy on the end. After half a glass I feel the alcohol warming in my mouth. Pouring in the yeast lends a slightly more dark fruit nuance to these flavors. Think dark fig and over ripe banana. Nice!

Mouthfeel is like slick and thick with a creamy carbonation that keeps things nicely in balance.

This beer is not tiresome nor too sweet and will have me coming back for more!

silenius, Aug 06, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter glass. Pours a dark chocolaty brown with some ruby highlights. Minimal head. Smell is of chocolate, brandied fruits, spicecake, and a touch of caramel. Alcohol is evident in the nose. Taste is like Aventinus on steroids. All the lovely clovey spice and cocoa flavours are concentrated. Alcohol is clearly present in each sip, but not overpowering like in DFH WWS. Mouthfeel is smooth albiet a bit heavy. Drinkability is good but not great. It makes a great after dinner drink and goes well with strong dessert cheeses. A great weizen eisbock!! Snuggle up with this on a cold windy winter night and you wont be sorry.

TinusTime, Jul 28, 2004
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH