Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,331 | Reviews: 1,120

Presentation - Poured into Chimay Goblet, 2009 - 22177

Appearance - Poured a dark ruby colour with lots and lots of floaters settling at the bottle, no lacing and head was fizzy and off-white with almost no retention.

Smell - Mostly bananas and plums, I can detect some caramel coming through faintly

Taste - Very warm and boozy with lots of esters, bananas, cloves, and plum comes out here with a hint of cake

Mouthfeel - Viscous and fully bodied

Drinkability - A sipper of the barleywine variety

Overall - Once again, Aventinus is the true king of beers

I haven't found a better beer - smooth, creamy, caramel-ly, scrumptious. If it gets any better, I want to know!

Bottle #063233

I have been cellaring this for a little while on my own, I cant tell if its a vintage but I don't believe it is, I've finally unleashed it since I received the Aventinus Eisbock glass.

Upon first look into bottle all you see is black, that is about to change, so I pop it open.

After pouring it into the official glass with a 2 finger tan head that dissipates quickly it is very dark but has a brownish reddish hue in the thinner parts of the glass and along the sides that makes for viewing wonder. The yeast continuously funnels its way to the top, this thing wont stop bubbling. The yeast itself is a wonder with this beer. I'm not sure if this particular glass shape lends itself to the active yeast but it is a great looking and feeling glass to drink out of and I highly recommend getting one to try this beer with.

Massive amount of scents here, I've got some herbalness, fruitiness, and even some sourness in the nose. Soft clove and raisin are the main scent hits.

First taste. Woooow, creamy, smooth, with enough bite from the yeast, heaps of flavors begin to spill out, coffee, chocolate, raisin, clove, banana, honey, the yeast adds a bit of tartness and the aftertaste is of ripe fruit. This is a malty beer through and through and is like a total bier dessert. As it warms the yeast mellows out and the full flavor effect is reached. The last drop (gulp) was insanely yeast infested and was like the grand finale, maybe not the best part, but a taste experience nonetheless. And I'm not even tasting the alcohol in here one bit. This beer is highly drinkable despite its array of potent flavors, but it is best enjoyed with smaller sips.

This beer went great with chocolate truffles, dark cherries and to a lesser extent Assiago cheese.

Overall this is one of my favorites, full bodied, full flavored, and full strength. It is well worth the money and then some.

-edit had another fresher one and the appearance and smell were fabulous, it is great either way, aged or not.

Poured into my Schneider Weisse weizen glass.

A: Dark brown sugar caramelized bananas, much like bananas foster liquid, thinnest head even with a sloppy pour, semi-active carbonation is visible down bottom, some lacing.

S: Straight bananas foster: Sugar, brown sugar, and bananas.

T: Take Aventinus taste and put it on steroids. The brown sugar and banana flavor are so pure, realistic, and dominant. A nice bourbon alcohol note on the back-end that slightly burns as it goes down from your throat to your chest and warms while it lingers.

M: So creamy, very highly carbonated and bitey. Again, mellowed bourbon warming sensation that lingers in your chest for a while.

O: Love it. This is it. This is the best beer in the world. My first Eisbock, and now my absolute favorite beer. Schneider has earned the perfect score.

Had in Munich in a Weiss Haus...literally a perfect beer, if you like that sort of thing. Very dark, far mire so than the doppelbocks, and stronger than the many "ators" available (Celebrator, Optimator, Triumphator, etc.) due to extremely cold fermentation, I was told. Sweet but still distinctly German, unlike the wine-like sweet geueze of France or the barleywine old brown ale of England. Powerful, so beware.

To me this is the perfect beer. Dark, malty, and high in alcohol without being too boozy. Perfect.

Incredible taste and surprisingly light

Aventinus weizen eisbock is heaven in a bottle. The first taste will blow away your taste buds. I like this beer because the potent taste of alcohol is so pungent it almost tastes like acetone (but in a good way). I have noticed with this brew you must find it as fresh as possible, stay away from bottles over a year old. After one year much of the flavor depreciates.

Appearance: somewhat dark, yet somewhat light mixture

Smell: pungent alcohol medium hopped yet sweet.

Taste: all around well balanced taste, the alcohol taste will blow you away, in a good way.

Mouthfeel: light-medium, not fullbodied

Overall: at $4.99 a bottle this is worth it. I have never tasted a better beer. I give it an overall rating of 666!

A: Aventinus is tree-bark brown with a ton of haze. Head is pretty much absent.

S: potent bouquet, dominated by banana with heavy clove and brandy notes as well.

T: perfect balance is achieved through the sweet bananas, the spicy clove, and spicy ethanol. Very delicious

M: heavy carbonation is a nice contrast to the medium body of the brew.

D: this is a must try for anyone that wants to see the extreme side of the hefe. All the same flavors are here, they've just been amplified. Worth seeking out.

Poured from a bottle, into a bell glass, at 40 degrees F.

A: The pour is a cloudy dark brown, like old hickory wood. A thick head of very pale tan forms atop the beer, though lacing is more or less nonexistent (forms quickly, then slides right down the side of the glass). Nigh no light gets through the beer, just enough to let one know this is a seriously dark brown, cloudy brew. Bubbles rise slowly as it sits in the glass.

S: While I am tempted to simply write "awesome in the true sense of the word", that's not exactly helpful. The aroma is malt in all its best forms - toasty, bready toffee caramel goodness. Notes of banana and raisin wreathe through the nose beneath the malt bouquet.

T: Perfect.Toast, cracker, warm whole grain bread, caramel, and toffee, all singing in perfect harmony. Sweetness is undiluted in this beer. Fruity notes pull through as it moves along the palate, bananas and raisins spiced with clove and coriander, and some black cherries. The finish lasts a long while, toffee-slathered toast. The alcohol content is present, but as a background note, adding primarily the warmth.

M: Rich silk syrup, dancing lively and sparkling across the palate, sticking to every surface long after it passes.

O: This is one of my favorite beers brewed, ever, if not my absolute favorite. And yes, I've had BCBS, Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30, St Bernardus Abt 12, Espresso Aged Yeti, Celebrator...I would order this over any of those.

Great taste, fruity sweetness mid palate with a spicy finish

In my humble opinion, this is the most sublime beer ever made! It is truly (for my palate, anyway), "The Nectar Of The Gods," and I am certain they serve this in Valhalla!

4.99/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Dark brown, cloudy, no head.

S: alcoholic esters, bready, dark stone fruits, characteristic Belgian yeasts. It also has a sweet smell to it; molasses?

T & M: Amazing! Smoky, semi sweet, complex yet balanced. The alcohol is definitely present and in your face. It's creamy and rich but unlike a stout or a porter. There's a spicy feel up front followed by the alcoholic burn followed by a smokey and sweet finish.

Overall: The only thing that prevented me from giving this magnificent beer a perfect 5 rating was its lack of a frothy head and lacing. I know the high alcohol content killed the chances of this brew having any kind of a pillowy, frothy head but for a sticky beer you would imagine it leaving crazy lacing all over the glass. I've tried American style eisbocks as well as other German eisbocks but none compares to this one. This has got to be the king of eisbocks!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

A - very full and dark amber color with dark orange tones
S - very intensive and pleasant smell of banana and wild-rose
T - extraordinary banana start with great mixture of wild-rose and caramel and very nice carbonation and full mouthfeel ending pretty dry and not so hoppy, but the presence of yeast is awesome. Alcohol is perfectly hidden in the beer.
M - full body with brilliant carbonation
D - very drinkable, however very strong, so be careful.

This eisbock is totally great.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer is amazing and I was rather excited to see Trappeze Pub had it on tap. Since tapping the first keg, I have had at least 15 of these beers. Appearance is dark brown with purple colors mixed in. Smell is predominantly of sweet, dark fruits (e.g., plum, apricot) as well as banana and clove. Taste mirrors the smell with a bit more sweet and spicy clove. Mouthfeel is nicely sticky sweet and perfect for the style. I will drink this beer whenever I see it on tap!

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Looks very much like Aventinus, with the combination of orange wheat haziness and dark chocolate tones. Obviously a little darker and clearer than Aventinus. Poured with very little head--a brief flourish is all it gave. Low/medium viscosity.

Aroma: Very mellow rendition of the chocolate, banana, pepper and orange nose of Aventinus. More molasses, raisins and orange zest with a metallic hops/booze finish.

Taste: This beer immediately strikes with a mellow brandy booze bristle, followed by molasses, raisins and sweet malts. The wheat removes the bready quality of regular barley-based doppelbock, while boosting the fruits and some of the sweet notes and the wheat sours typical of a weizen. Full citrus wheat background, with a slightly dry finish and a little booze in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth--more drinkable than the regular Aventinus. Mellow and sweet but perfectly balanced. Low carbonation provides for a very clean and drinkable beer.

Drinkability: My tastebuds are still saying "Wow". I admire this version as much as regular Aventinus, albeit for the deft ice filtering and clean flavor. Fantastic--I wish I had six more.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This beer looks very appetizing both in and out of the bottle. It pours to be cloudy/opaque in terms of clarity (As it warms up it starts to clear). Its color is very much like that of the Cherry desk that it is sitting on. The Head on this beer was a nice size to begin with but quickly became lacing, which still looks appetizing. When agitated the head/lacing becomes a bit thicker but then quickly returns to how it previously was. A bigger creamier head would've been nice and would have made this appear a bit more appetizing.

The aroma of this beer is quality. It is very strong and can be described as malty and dark and fruity. Its smell reminds me of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I can detect hints of vanilla in the aroma. However what sets it apart from the smell of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale is the fact that to me its main aromatic quality is that it smells exactly like a mulled Victorian Holdiay Wine that I recently drank on Thanksgiving. I also notice a wheat/grainy smell in this beer. A very complex aroma to this beer, the mulled wine was the first scent I noticed but as I keep smelling it I detect more and more sweet aromas.

Wow! This stuff is great! The flavor is complex and is breathtaking. Alcohol is very evident in the taste. This has a similar but slightly different taste than wine. I believe that the easily detectable alcohol presence gives me this impression. It finishes much in the same way as wine. I don't really taste any bitterness, most of the flavor is from the malt and alcohol presence. I can taste a bit of the vanilla that I smelled and I also notice that it tastes somewhat like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. The evident alcohol presence and lack of bitterness make it taste different than the strong dark ale but I can taste similarities.

The mouthfeel of this beer is just as good as the rest of it. It is highly carbonated which perfectly complements the taste of the beer in my opinion.This beer is full bodied and, I believe leaves nothing to be desired in the way of mouthfeel. I would drink this all day if I could without getting alcohol poisoning but then I would become spoiled. I will definitely buy this one again, provided I can find it.

Vintage 2005.

The beer poured a crystal clear brown garnet with no head. I was careful to decant off the lees which are quite abundant in this beer.

The aroma of the beer was bursting with vinous grapes, raisins, and alcohol.

The flavor of the beer was rich with melanoidins, concord grapes, dark raisins, and warming alcohol. The hops were there in the background to help balance out some of the sweetness.

The mouthfeel was syrupy and dextrinous and complimented the rich flavors perfectly. The carbonation was low, but perfect for the style.

This beer was immensly rich and complex. It was rediculously drinkable considering the 12% ABV. This beer is truly a masterpiece. I can find no flaws.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Speechless! This is heaven on earth. Strong, yet smooth. This is a must have for any serious beer drinker. Just try it

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle dated: 2011 025869.

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours dark cloudy toffee brown with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Some bubbles can be seen rising from the side of the glass, but not many. It appears darker than the regular Aventinus. There are aromas of banana, sweet malt, bubblegum, dark fruits, sweet malts, and some alcohol. It is all the aromas I loved in the regular Aventinus, but intensified. The taste follows the nose. The banana flavors are strongly represented from the yeast. The sweet malt provides a nice backbone for this beer. There are dark fruits in the flavor as well. The alcohol is detectable in the taste, but it blends well with this beer. It does not come across as boozy, but well balanced. The body is full with solid carbonation. The beer is smooth with a clean finish. The alcohol provides a nice warming feel. I wouldn't mind having a few of these put away for cold winter months. This is an excellent beer that held up very well despite the age.

4.96/5  rDev +17%

Hazy amber/brown, with beige notes. Big head, goes away fast, big retention.
Smells of perfect banana and clove, flowers, wheat, yeasty bread dough.
Really complex fruitiness, with really sweet cherries (with a hint of sourness also), red berries, pulms, figs, all of this dark fruit having a very jam-like sweetness. Sweet banana chips also, light acidic red apple, red grapes. Big vineous character, like a sweet red wine. Honey notes, and spices are big vanilla, big clove and some nice prickly pepper. Sweet wheaty malts, caramel, reminding of sweet cake, going to gingerbread. Even if itțs really sweet, it's not unpleasant, complementing the warm alcohol (surprisingly not boozy, considering it's 12%). Herbal notes felt towards the hoppy finish, with a decent bitterness.
Somewhat creamy, low carbonation, perfect as a sipper.
A real delicacy, not one to pass up. Can't wait to get my hands on an old vintage. Top-tier brew.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

Wow. This beer is ridiculously good. As soon as I opened this bottle my nose was hit with an aroma so fine that I had to continue savoring it for several moments before I poured it. As far as the pour, head, lacing, blah, blah, blah-- don't care. What came next was a taste that I can only describe as liquid ecstasy. There's just so much going on with the complex favors in this beer (and I won't pretend that I have a palate so refined that I can identify every one) yet it still goes down so damn smooth. The only negative for me was that the carbonation was slightly less than what I would have preferred, but that may have a lot to do with how smooth the beer felt-- So is it really a negative?
I've had a few beers in my day and this one has to rank in my top five.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

11.2 OZ bottle. Bottle 2004/ 10697.

Pours a cloudy chocolate milkshake brown with some yeast floaters.

Smell is intense vanilla banana and cloves with an intense malt scent. Like Aventinus only concentrated more. Seriously spicy.

Taste is sweet and very intense; alcohol level leaves an unmistakable heat in the mouth. Pretty much concentrated Aventinus. Lots of vanilla and banana and cloves flavor.

Mouthfeel is almost chewable.

Incredibly drinkable and intense. Only the cost and rarity prevent me from having this as often as I like.

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

I've noticed that only one of Schneider Weisse's Brewpubs is listed here (the one in Kehlheim). They have a second one right near Marienplatz and the Hofbrauhaus in Munich!!! It's actually the original site of Schneider Weisse's brewery but due to bombing in WWII, they decided to move the brewing part to a more spacious location in Kehlheim. The Weisse Braeuhaus is the name of Schneider Weisse's brewpub in Munich and it's a institution with the locals for a very good reason: THEY CARRY the ENTIRE SELECTION of Schneider Weisse beers (even the limited edition ones) and they have amazing food as well- the cook there just came out with a cookbook containing rare collections of old German food recipes, most of which also feature either beer or organs as a main ingredient! http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=en&tpl=brauerei.brauhaeusser

4.92/5  rDev +16%

Nightcap of the 3rd Madison Style Session - Weiss is Neiss.

Pour: murky garnet, totally opaque under a surprising finger of khaki foam that succumbs to the booze and fades to a spotty skim.

Nose: deep and dark - notes of brown sugar/molasses, dark fruits (dates, figs, raisins) with a sharp balsamic vinegar bite in the finish.

Taste: raisins, Belgian wheat, sweet vegatal notes, brandy-booze, and more of that potent balsamic vinegar in the finish.

Feel: medium-slick body, fizzy carbonation with a brandy burn as it goes down.

Drinkability/Overall: a phenomenal beer. Insanely drinkable for a 12% eisbock. Interesting wheaty-sour/dark fruit complexity. A nice amped-up version of their already stellar weizen-bock.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH