Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

2004 vintage, found by accident at a beer store

A - Murky dark brown, very little head.
S - Cough syrup, cloves, banana and candy. Wow, did I type that? I expected funky, but this one is off my normal charts.
T - Cough syrup, figs, molasses, bananas and a warming feeling as I hit mid bottle.
M - Full thick bodied beer defined. Very nice, very rich without being cloying.
D - a treat! Hard to believe it's as strong as it is until you're done with a bottle. Enjoy!

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a delicious looking dark brown with an off-white bubbly head. The glass it comes in is also damn sexy. The nose gives a lot of malt, yeast, acohol, and sherry. When I drink this, I get the heat of the alcohol, as well as the malt from the nose, but I also get raisins and cherry. This goes down creamy, with light carbonation. It's heavy, but delicious, although when I wad one it felt syrupy and cloying. I can do 1-2 of these max.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #033356. Served in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature with a hunk of Chimay cheese.

Appearance- Pours a surprisingly light port tinged orange, with just a rim of head to encircle the beer's crown.

Smell- Gigantic malts and alcohol immediately on the nose... concentrated and enormously strong.

Taste- The initial blast on the tongue prepared me for what I thought would be a wicked alcohol burn... however, the bombastic flavors overshadowed this. A concentrated malt backbone lays the foundation, and a candy-like donkey kick to the taste buds follows next. Terrific balance, as a glittering hop tingle finishes after the swallow. No shortage of flavor here... it's mouth-encompassing just like a great Old Ale that's been cellaring for a few years.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Delightfully active and graceful in the mouth, and very refined... I was expecting something maybe along the lines of Scaldis, with its big ABV... this is a pleasure, so full of character. Almost too big for even a dessert beer, yet easy drinking... yes, quite a paradox. This is a difficult beer to review, so sample one for yourself and tell us what you think.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out like a root beer. No fizz whatsoever.
Very intimidating to say the least.
The smell is like a fine wine. So many aromas to take in.
Fruits and chocolate and clove and spices.
The taste doesn't fail here either. So many flavors. First is dark malt and sweet fruit. Followed by an alcoholic rush of warmth.
There is toffee and choclolate and coffee and (take your pick)
Mouthfeel is wonderful. Can't feel the alcohol in the mouth, you feel it in the esophagus.
You wouldn't and probably couldn't drink more than 2 of these at a sitting so I have to rate this a bit low even though it is one of the best beers I have ever consumed.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

2005 edition, bottle# 01790

A: Pours dark brown with ruby hues and a one-finger bubbly head that subsides to a thick frothy ring around the snifter

S: Huge smell with fruity aromas, notes of bubblegum, and tons of alcohol.

T: It's a bit hard to get past the alcoholic taste, but there are some strong fruity and spicy flavors with a sweet malty character.

M: Very full in body with a thick and syrupy texture and a not-so-subtle warming finish. Moderate carbonation.

D: My first eisbock review. I don't know if I'm crazy about this one, but it is still quite good and seems to fit the style description perfectly. I think I'll try this one again on a cold winter night.

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%

2004 bottle #18726

A: Pours a drab, cola looking concoction with a fizzy head. Fizzy like cola I might add. No head. None. And thats all I can say about that.

S: Huh. Not what I was expecting but I'm intrigued. Immediate thoughts are fresh cream with a minor backbone of caramel, hint of smoke and a smidgeon of alcohol. I think the age has done something to this beer. The aroma is not bock-like nor weizen.

T: Now thats smooth. Begins lightly malty with some serious creamy caramel flavors. Transitions quickly to blackstrap molasses then glides out leaving a wake of raisins, prunes and vanilla. There is alcohol in this beer, the numbness across the palate lets you know.

M: Full body but the mouthfeel isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. Has a touch of pricklyness.

D: 2004 doesn't seem to old for this beer but I feel a lot of the flavors are muted than they should be. The nose was the first hint. Very good regardless but I'd like to try this beer with a bit more bite so I know what I'm missing.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap."

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Dark dark ruby, such an amzing color. Tranquility from looking down upon it. A beautiful lake, during the late night hours. Not a very big head, but what it lacked on the head, was made up for in retention. This beer just retains, retains, and then retains some more.

S - Sweet ripe fruit, light chocolate, malt, and more malt.

T - Taste upfront is a huge malt rush. Dark fruits, rich chocolate, cloves, and spice. Alcohol presence is definitely there, and attributes the flavor incredibly well. Mouthfeel is creamy, fullfilling, and makes the palate tingle. Nice and full-bodied. This is one excellent sipper.

Aventinus overdid themselves with this beer. A mistake, that was well worth being mistaken for. A world class Eisbock.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Schazzamm! Poured from a no where near big enough bottle to satisfy me to my way cool Aventious Doppelbock glass. The liquid is a stunning dark amber that reveals red and orange highlights. Nice carbonation, and a nice 2 finger tan and very cream like head that fades quickly on queue.

The smell is strong of alcohol and caramely fresh fruit.

The taste is as good as this style (which should be a lot) can deliver. Lots of caramel and big time dark fruit. Some chocolate and coffee notes all at the right time. Taste and smell are not in harmony, Big alcohol is well covered by this very complex taste explosion. A weissen Eisboch delivered exceptionally, a great mistake, recreated perfectly.

Mouthfeel is on style, the minimal carbonation is very nice, full body and texture are true and wonderful.

Drinkability is way high, if you like this style go no farther. Prosit und Zum wohl!, MK

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Aventinus Weizen Eisbock

My number one favorite beer of all time is Aventinus' Wheat Dopplebock. I knew Schneider and Sons had a bevy of other brews in their stable, but they’ve been mostly hard to come by. So I was quite surprised to come upon single bottles of this one at my local soda pop and beer shop.

Normally I don’t read existing reviews before trying a new beer, but I was so perplexed by this one that I had to check suggested glassware and food parings before I indulged. How I missed the 12% ABV is beyond me – perhaps it was my excitement in finding another Aventinus variety that I didn’t have to book an overseas flight to get. Who knows? But the prospect of having something this strong – and reading that the high alcohol content was thinly veiled – intimidated me somewhat. Thankfully I’d be enjoying this one at home!

As others have noted, the brew pours like flat cola or a deeply colored tea. The two finger high tan colored head quickly dissipated as I poured the contents of a 12-oz bottle into an oversized wine glass (as recommended by the Bros Alstrom).

I was afraid that this would be a cloying, barley wine styled ale, but as I sip – and sipping here is key - I find that I’m pleasantly surprised.

This is not a composition for a big beer neophyte. As it is, the Dopplebock takes some working up to. However, this beer would be delicious as an apertif, or even a nice after dinner beer. I’m enjoying mine after a spicy, Cajun-styled pasta dish.

One thing you must do before serving this beer is to swirl before you pour. As I was enjoying my glass, I noted that there were huge particles – black when viewed looking down through the beer, and disturbingly cream colored when looking through the glass – floating around. Not very appetizing! I gave it a good swirl in the glass and you could hear the effervescence of the active yeasts bubbling like champagne.

Believe me – you’ll miss all that this beer has to offer if you fail to swirl – preferably in the bottle before your pour (silly me!). Thankfully I have a second bottle for a chance to get this right - on another night, of course.

Plums, dates…even a hint of clove or nutmeg, and caramel-chocolate undertones give this beer rich character. It could be the kissing cousin of a barley wine, but is nowhere near as cloying, and is thankfully absent the heavy syrupiness of holiday fruit loaves.

A deep sniff reveals the heavy alcohol content, yet the taste is smooth. I’m glad I’m done slicing and cooking, however, as I truly believe that I’d be greatly impaired to the point of risking injury by this one.

Truly a smooth, blankety mouthfeel, without feeling like you have sweaters on your teeth. Fizzy only when swirled, and settles to a near-creaminess. Drinkable? No. Worthy to be sipped, savored and enjoyed? Absolutely!

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

An insanely charcterful beer with a ton of power, elegance, and complexity. Why this one isn't considered better than the Aventinus Weizenbock is beyond me.

The beer pours with a weight and thickness that implies a very malty beer. Dark brown with deep ruby hues. A delicate, lightly-tanned head sits atop the beer is quite stately fashion. Where lacing is void, legging is very evident.

Deep malty aroma of very Old English Ales. Would be too sweet, but is tempered by fruit flavors of figs, dates, prunes, grapes and cherries...quite 'fruitcake' like, with a shot of rum. Very warming, but not fusal or caugh-syrup tasting.

Probably would be thicker if not thinned by the 12%, still very full, rich, and moderately syrupy. Sweet and sticky in the finish, but with remaining power and strength. The beer improved greatly as the brew warmed to room temperature and expelled its pin-prikling carbonation. A good 'beer alternative' to a port wine or brandy.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Appearance: Pours a hazy brown with a one-finger creamy beige head that thins to a quarter-inch layer.

Smell: Deep and rich malty and fruity aromas: bananas, dates, caramel and alcohol.

Taste: Fruity and malty. Flavors of banana, dark fruit, raisins, dates and caramel. The finish is spicy and warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick and rich, full-bodied with tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Delicious and drinkable, despite the alcohol.

Overall: This is my first expereince with the Eisbock style. Amazingly rich and flavorful.

4.26/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a deep dark brown with a small whitish tan head that falls fast with no real lace.

Aroma is big sweet malt loads of fruit dripping with molasses some light alcohol presence. Great aromas here.

Taste is big huge malt lots of sugars floating around mingled with loads of fruit and some light spice. There is some light alcohol mingled in the flavors that comes out and aides the flavors. Man this stuff is good huge taste.

Mouthfeel is nice big medium with mellow carbonation not quite as big as the flavors which is a little strange.

Drinkability is good a very enjoyable brew big on taste, malty is growing on me. Want to thank babydoc and BCG BIF for this bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a murky dark brown, with a thin swiling head that fades almost immediately to a very thin ring, leaving behind very little lacing.

Smell; lots of caramel, brown sugar and chocolate malts, with some sweet fruits, such as apples and plums. There's some wheat notes, as well as a touch of alcohol in the nose.

Taste; sweet brown sugar, and caramel with a little chocolate stand out up front. After the first couple of sips some of the fruits come out with apples, pears, plums and figs. There's more a weizen profile in the taste, with cloves and wheat, plus a very well hidden alcohol presence.
Mouthfeel is rich and full bodied, and very easy to drink for the high abv.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours with just enough foam to call it a head but not enough to please the eye. Body is brown like cola but far more inviting than an actual soda. Nose is slightly rummy, full of cloves, pine apple and a hint of banana. Nice.
Taste is pretty much the same ... but what I really marvel at is how well the alcohol is concealed. I've had many brews this strong, or nearly so and none of them concealed the alcohol as well as this one does. The taste kind of reminds me of some American barley wines, like Alesmith, or Stone or even North Coast's. I really enjoy the flavors here. Mouth is smooth, with low carbonation. I could really drink lots of this ... I'm really enjoying this one.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark and cloudy teak colored beer with virtually no head. Aroma hints at sweet flavors, with cloves, figs, and molasses present. Very bakery/patisserie type smells in here -- rich, warm, inviting sweetness on display. On the palate, the first thing to show itself is hugely sweet dates, then a flash of sour fruit comes in before a big, raw alcoholic burn takes over at the tip of the tongue and back of the throat. That alcohol burn is way too harsh and detracts from the mouthfeel and drinkability of this beer significantly. Overall, interesting effort, but it lacks balance and subtlety while displaying all the pitfalls of "extreme" beers. Still, I can imagine that if you want a warming drink in the winter time and don't want to drink liquor or mulled wine, this would do.

4.34/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock poured into a flute glass from a 11.2 oz. brown glass bottle.

Beer poured deep, cloudless mahogany color with a quick, fizzy head that didn't retain very well and left no lacing along the sides of the glass. The nose was quite good: dark, complex malts with strong tones of dark fruits and a lingering, sweet spiciness. The scents coming from This one are quite good. The mouthfeel was a thick, syrupy maltiness that slid about and around the tongue and left lingering alcohol taste on the pallette. The beer opens up and allows you quick glimpses into its narrow and interesting complexities: brown sugar and raisons along with other flavors poke up at you. Although the abv is aparent at the finish, this beer remains still deliciously drinkable although still hindered by it. I wouldn't reach for more than a few of these in a row on a single sitting, but I would drink it regularly if more available to me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

11.2oz brown bottle with bottle # 00490/2005 on the back. Pours a murky brown with some sediment. No head or lace to speak of. Looks thick. Smells of dried dark fruits, brown sugar, alcohol. Very complex. Again dried dark fruit and brown sugar. Very fruity. Thick and syrupy. Hard to drink on a warm June night. Not the best Eisbock I have had but it shoul age very well. I think I will buy some more and stash them away. This one was just too young.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

This pours out a brownish plum color with loads of carbonation rushing up. Not much head so to speak, but I didn't expect one. Smell is primarily alcohol and yeast with some sugared raisins and sweet dark fruits mixing around. This reminds me of a red wine, actually, maybe something like a cabernet sauvignon.

The taste isn't boozy at all, unlike the telling smell. I get a ton of alcohol warmth, but the main show is a very tender yeast and wheat. It reminds me of cream cheese a bit. Very soft and delicate the way they work together. Tons of dark fruit and sweetness work their way around in here, especially at the end where the nice "spike" of tartness hits. I half expected this to be a sludgefest, but this is surprisingly smooth and well carbonated. I'm sipping this thing way too fast, and the crisp finish only leaves me wanting more.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Why is it that I love Kulmbacher so much, but can't find another Eisbock that is even palatable??

This is a great brew up front - malty, caramelly (don't think that's a word, but oh well), some raisins, prunes, dried other various fruits, etc. But once the beer rolls to the back of your throat, the alcohol just burns the entire way down. It burns, it burns, it burns. it is like beer with a grain alcohol residue. Que horrible!

Was definitely worse when it was cold, but even as it warmed up the alcohol was just too much (I felt this about the EKU as well). Too bad.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

The brown body starts off with small specks of a head that quickly disappear. Alcohol and bananas are fighting to be the dominant aroma, but alcohol wins. Clove and phenols are also in the nose. The taste has all of the above as well as a bready flavor, brown sugar and a cough syrup cherry. The mouthfeel is chewy and somewhat sticky. This has good drinkability, but I think the looming 12% abv might disagree.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle: Poured a deep copper color beer with a small dark foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma is just plain incredible –mix of dry fruits (figs, prunes and raisins) with some floral malt. Taste is also dominated by the sweet fruit aspect but doesn’t go overboard. Alcohol is well hidden and body is just above average. I probably wouldn’t drink more then one in a session but I would love to smell this aroma over and over again.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

This pours a dark burgandy with a medium head. The smell is very strong almost wine like with alcohol and a smoked aroma. The taste is very powerful and concentrated with a dark fruit flavor,again wine-like, with a smoked wood flavor also. The m/f is heavy with the flavors all mixing well. For a beer that high in alcohol this is very drinkable. This is a beer that should not be missed.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a very murky brown with lots of sediment and a creamy thick tan head with great retention.

Smell is huge - Bananas, Yeast, alcohol, raisons, and other dark fruits. Very Sweet.

Taste is very fruity with hints of bananas, tangerine, dates, and other dark fruits, overall slightly sweet, but not overwhelming. Also a bit of alcohol flavor and yeast.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and thick.

Overall a very tasty treat, and very easy to drink.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH