Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,103 | Hads: 2,350
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

I love the regular aventinus, the eisbock version is very good; it suryp-like, medicinal, and slightly burnt (at least this sample). I aroma is rich with concentrated malt and alchol, with hints of chocolate. the flavor is thick and full of carmelized malt with a burnt chocolate flavor that warms as it goes down. (314 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours very dark and noticeably cloudy brown. The head doesn’t last long at all, but then again that’s to be expected with this style. Very malty aroma, mostly dark fruits accompanied by pungent alcohol. There is also some clove and banana too. The flavor is intensely malty, one of the maltiest I’ve ever encountered. Dark fruits (raisins, prunes, etc), some dark rum notes, chocolate, toffee, but interestingly there are also wheat beer flavors as well; that yeasty combination of banana and clove spice. An alcohol bite persists throughout and a nice roastiness makes an appearances towards the finish. Syrupy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Now, I should mention that this one has been in my cellar for about a year and a half, so it’s a bit mellowed. In fact, I’ve had fresher examples of this brew on several occasions and I can tell it’s quite a bit richer than my review might indicate. The nice thing about this one (and regular Aventinus as well) is that it combines wheat beer and eisbock/dopple-bock flavors, which is a combination ya don’t find to often. Anyway, highly recommended. (1,109 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer looks very appetizing both in and out of the bottle. It pours to be cloudy/opaque in terms of clarity (As it warms up it starts to clear). Its color is very much like that of the Cherry desk that it is sitting on. The Head on this beer was a nice size to begin with but quickly became lacing, which still looks appetizing. When agitated the head/lacing becomes a bit thicker but then quickly returns to how it previously was. A bigger creamier head would've been nice and would have made this appear a bit more appetizing.

The aroma of this beer is quality. It is very strong and can be described as malty and dark and fruity. Its smell reminds me of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I can detect hints of vanilla in the aroma. However what sets it apart from the smell of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale is the fact that to me its main aromatic quality is that it smells exactly like a mulled Victorian Holdiay Wine that I recently drank on Thanksgiving. I also notice a wheat/grainy smell in this beer. A very complex aroma to this beer, the mulled wine was the first scent I noticed but as I keep smelling it I detect more and more sweet aromas.

Wow! This stuff is great! The flavor is complex and is breathtaking. Alcohol is very evident in the taste. This has a similar but slightly different taste than wine. I believe that the easily detectable alcohol presence gives me this impression. It finishes much in the same way as wine. I don't really taste any bitterness, most of the flavor is from the malt and alcohol presence. I can taste a bit of the vanilla that I smelled and I also notice that it tastes somewhat like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. The evident alcohol presence and lack of bitterness make it taste different than the strong dark ale but I can taste similarities.

The mouthfeel of this beer is just as good as the rest of it. It is highly carbonated which perfectly complements the taste of the beer in my opinion.This beer is full bodied and, I believe leaves nothing to be desired in the way of mouthfeel. I would drink this all day if I could without getting alcohol poisoning but then I would become spoiled. I will definitely buy this one again, provided I can find it. (2,198 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a La Chouffe 25cl snifter. A nice size head is formed but leaves immediately. No lacing is left behind. No carbonation activity under the dark, Cinderella Ruby Slipper colored beverage. When held up to the light, little yeasties are swimming around, having a grand time.

Right off, smell is bubble gum and clove. Also a medicinal smell is present which I assume is the alcohol. Hints of banana and pear as well. Also smells like a red wine, possibly shiraz. Very sweet smelling. I likes.

Taste is pretty damn complex. In comlex tasting beers, I have a hard time discerning flavors. But I will give it a shot. Lots of bubble gum flavor in this one. Alcohol taste is actually very subdued given its 12 percent abv. Banana is also a big flavor note here. As the beer warms, a more medicinal taste comes out and the alcohol becomes apparent.

Slick mouthfeel and surprisingly easy drinkability with the high abv. My first eisbock. I will definitely try more. (997 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle number 040372. Beer poured out a burnt caramel color. Smells of yeast and banana, wonderful! Taste is caramelly with a strong presence of banana and various fruits. Mouthfeel is very syrupy and has an alcohol burn in the end, though not enough to take away from the beer. Drinkability is good, though I wouldn't want to have a lot. One is probably enough in a night. (373 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

I have to admit right off the bat, this is my first Eisbock. I tried to keep that in mind while rating this beer.
It poured a medium brown color with virtually no head. Lots of carbonation and very little sediment. What head it did have faded quickly leaving only minimal lacing on the glass. The color was similar to that of many other darker beers I’ve had, but there was something less attractive about this one. I can’t seem to put my finger on it, it was just brownish, not a golden hue to be found.
The smell was strong and exciting; mostly apple and wheat, but loads of alcohol and sour fruits. Possibly some clove and citrus.
The taste was overwhelming at first; I knew to expect alcohol but that’s by far the first thing you notice. And lots of it. Bitter and sours fruits, an almost cider-like apple quality, plenty of wheat. It starts out very bittersweet and acidic, but ends with a less intense, softer almost sweet flavor.
This was enjoyable but I’ll need much more experience with Eisbocks to make a good judgment. Also this is a 12% beer, so not the kind of beer you want to down a 6er of. Give it a try anyhow, see what you think. (1,157 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

This is probably my favorite representation of an eisbock. Pours to a clear-ish caramel amber color. Simply a beautiful hue, remniscient of one of those polychromatic paint jobs that seem to shift colors in different lighting angles. The beer pours with a very thin, highly effervescent head that crackles like champagne bubbles. However, lack of carbonation severely hinders the staying power of the head, but frankly I was quite surprised to see what little I did based on the style and its characteristicly high ABV. Subsequently there is little to no lacing, though it does leave a little clear syrupy coating that slowly finds its way back to the rest of the liquid.

The smell is great. The wheat and yeast have imparted a great banana and clove aroma in the forefront, along with the strong fruity aromas traditionally associated with the style. Almost has a bit of a grapey red wine aroma, but combined with the malt and banana/clove it is distinctly beer.

The taste has a thick syrupy caramel flavor with the banana and clove on the forefront. Undertones of maple syrup and earthy berry flavors. Not too cloyingly sweet like some eisbocks tend to be. The alcohol is actually very well hidden as well.

The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, obviously. Lots of residuals stick to the palate. Finishes a bit dry. As far as eisbocks go, this is pretty much as drinkable as it can get. (1,393 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

I was expecting an Aventinus on steroids, but got something else. It pours a deep rich brown with ruby highlights. A beige head fizzles up and dissapears in a matter of seconds. Zero lace and only the faintest ring left in my glass. The head fizzles so loudly you can hear it from several feet away, like a shaken can of soda. I even use the appropriate Aventinus bulb-topped glass, which usually promotes a health and staying head.

Aroma is sweet and malty, with lots of caramel and scorched brown sugar. Though it shows none of the sweet spice and fresh banana bread nuances that regular Aventinus has. Alcohol is prominant.

Flavor is a bit better, though still rather one-dimensional. Chewy malt with very little wheat character. A faint whisper of the raisin and spice that makes me love the regular version. Alcohol is hot and almost biting too, limiting drinkability.

Body is medium, definately not dense enough for the carry the flavor well. Vigorous carbonation keeps the belches coming. Worth trying, but I'll take the regular version any day. (1,061 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

this one was opened, and there was no noise, no smell, nothing. perhaps the calm before the proverbial storm. The smell is low and big plum and brandy. There is some nice brandy and port wine complexity here. Some fruit; big alcohol; thin finish, balanced.

Its 12 percent and you know it. Its quite unlike anything else german that I have had. Its pretty damed worth a try for beer geeks everywhere; it may be a notch below giant belgians, but damned close. (460 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Eisbock is a style that's new to me. For some reason I never got around to trying one through my years of craft beer drinking. That said, here goes...

Bottle no.063209

Pours like soda, only prettier. A rather dark mahogany brew with a head that fizzes away like soda poured into a glass. A small off-white ring does stay though.

Lots of aroma going on here, and I'm sure there will be more as it warms more. My first thought is vinous, I'm getting some of that grapey vinegar aroma. With closer "inspection" I get a more raisiny (VERY raisiny) feel from this. I go again and I get, of all things, buttered cinnamon pizza dough bread with raisins. No kidding.

On my first sip, my first thought is port wine or some such thing. Then I detect quite a heap of clove spiciness. This mixed with the alcohol creates a very definite tingling sensation, though the alcohol isn't so much detectable in the flavor. It certainly lets you know it's there with the warming and the tingling. Big raisiny molasses sweetness all over. That yeasty spiciness is what keeps reminding me that this is a wheat beer. Really chewy. Slightly doughy along with that. Maybe a little banana now that it's warmed some. Seriously raisiny bourbon soaked banana though. Vinous tones hit here and there. Hops come through ever so slightly in the finish, but it's still very sweet and syrupy.

Thick, thick, thick and syrupy mouthfeel. Not in a bad way though. Carbonation is low, but that's not a problem.

This could be more complex for its strength, if it was I'd have given it a higher score, but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. Very enjoyable. I honestly think this is very drinkable for the alcohol content. I may even be able to have one more, but that would be it. A great experience this one, my first eisbock.

My bottle had enough yeast in the bottom to dam a river, so be careful when pouring yours. (1,899 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

It has a brown sugar colour in the glass, topped by just a small head, which is gone fairly quickly.

The smell is malty, with some banana and papaya, as well as a bit of spice.

Flavour is sweet, with a mix of over-ripe banana, malt, and spice. A bit tangy at the end.

Mouthfeel is a bit fizzy at first, turns thick and just a tad cloying.

This one's not bad for drinkability- it's not too storng, but has a bit of Oomph.

Be well
-UF (448 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

This was an 11.2 oz bottle with a label date of 2002. Dark cola brown in color with a tall light tan head that left light streaks of lace. Very big fruitiness in the aroma, raisins mainly. Some syrupy molasses with a light chocolate note in there. More sweet dark ripe fruits in the flavor with some caramel. Light chocolate and some spiciness. Pretty interesting flavor with some other small things in there. Pretty thick but not as much so as other Eisbocks I’ve had. Pretty drinkable stuff that I would like to try a younger version of. (540 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

This is one strong looking brew. It pours a dark brown color. The head is massive, thick, and looks as though it could support the weight of the empty bottle on top of it. And it doesn't leave, rather it stays forever (must be the wheat). The aroma is of dark fruits, spices, caramel, and alcohol. The taste is of dark fruits and spices, with a strong alcohol burn in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a might fine brew for sipping. (484 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: syrupy, coke-like appearance. The head came on semi-strong after a vigorous pour but vanished almost immediately. Didn't expect much head from a 12%'er. Yeast conglomerates floated in the Ruby-hued body.

Aroma: Huge raison and sweet mollasses smell kicks you right in the face. The sweetness is detected just by the awesome nose on this. A hint of clove is detected beneth the heavy alcohol.

Taste & Mouthfeel: A sweet malt is dominant in front of the mouth as a thin layer of alcohol warmth runs throughout the entire mouth and throat. The dried, dark fruity taste finishes strong and leaves you wondering if this is a beer or a desert. The high alcohol warms the entire body and remids you how wonderful this would be on a cold winter night in Wisconsin.

Drinkability: Great beer that holds eisbocks as one of the finest styles available in my mind. Not for the weak, but also could be enjoyed by many who enjoy ports and cognacs. Couldn't really see myself drinking this more than every once in a while because of the strength of it, but it is phenomenally smooth and soothing after a long day. Just be carefull; this one packs a mean wallop! (1,168 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%

I tried to hold out drinking this brew. I was saving it for a special occassion but my curiosity got the best of me. Especially since Aventinus is my second highest rated beer I had to try the Eisbock to see if they are a one beer show. They are an outstanding brewery and this is another excellent offering.

Poured into a chalice the head faded fairly quick but there is decent lacing. dark caramel color with yeast present. I like to swirl this around and pour it in at the end.

First drink floored me. Outstanding balance of flavor. Caramel was the most dominant flavor but it has some plumb, brown sugar, chocolate, coffee...ohhh yeah perfectly balanced. Big welcomed warming finish. For 12% this is well hidden though. Is there a better brewery for these types of beers on the planet? I haven't found it yet but I have lots of searching still ahead of me. What I've enjoyed in the two styles i've gobbled from this brewery is the rich, deep complexity and contrasts of flavor that they seem to thrive on, and pay particular attention to. Thanks. (1,057 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Very, very nice chestnut brown color. No real head. I have to knock it down a bit due to the floaters. This thing is way chunky!! I havnt had this much sediment in a beer in ages. Even after a few days of refrigeration and a careful pour. Good aroma-the banana and cloviness is subdued Im assuming by the eisbock process. Nice sweet malt in the backround of the aroma. Some banana and phenolic flavors but mellow and sedate. No hop bitterness. Good, soft malt flavor. A well done and well balanced sweetness. A slight trace of alcohol but not much. Very smooth body-amazing for 12%. An extremely enjoyable beer and dangerously drinkable. (637 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

This is one huge, ass kicking beer. 2002 vintage poured into a widemouth DT glass. Caramel brown, head dissipates somewhat quickly but leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is spicy, loadoed with alcohol, some wine notes. Taste is rich, syrupy, very sweet and spicy with cloves and brown sugar making their way to your tastebuds. Lots of alcohol present, very warming. It would be great on a cold day. Drinkability is low however due to the pronounced alcohol content. Finishing one of these must be done patiently. (516 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the brown bottle No. 023778 into a wine glass the beer was a medium brown color that setteled at a burgandy tinge when slightly warmed. A sliver of white head formed and no lacing at all, as expected.

The smell was wheaty with slight grain and malt. Perhaps a slight citrus in the nose with some corriander and caramel as well. Dark fruit and grapes are also apparent.

The taste of alcohol is apparent upfront. A very warming and smooth taste. Very red-wine like. A malty/wheaty taste to each sip. No bitterness at all and very little to no hop character. Darker fruits such as fig and grape are also in the taste.

Medium body, with no carbonation.

A good beer to sip, perhaps in even less than the 11oz. bottle size. The flavors did not really provide that much for me. An enjoyable beer, but my first of the style. Perhaps, this is just not for my taste. (880 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Anticipation builds as the whipped meringue head settles back into the glass. This "King of the Weizens" pours up with a beautiful lacy tannish-white head that dissipates rather quickly due to the higher alcohol. Nice mahogany-reddish brown color with fine natural carbon bubbles. Extremely vinous with a very, spicy sweet nose reminisant of mince meat pie. A rich caramel/treacle maltiness carries through to the finish which is very distictive & clovelike. The bitterness is perfectly balanced against the candied plum sweetness. As the beer warms by the fireplace, the alcohol and ripe fruit aromas dance to the rim of the glass beckoning for a second whiff. Nice! This beer is very disceptive in its appearance and alcohol. It actually makes one believe that they're enjoying its smaller cousin Aventinus (8%ABV). Make no mistake, this Knight Aventinus carries a lance, sword and a morningstar! Buy, steal, hoard, and cellar all that you can find.

CHEERS! Beertracker (972 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle # 18995: Poured a dark ruby color with a small off white head that left light lacing on the glass. Wheaty, clove, and some banana in the aroma. Sweet caramel taste, pepper noted as well. Alcohol burn. Creamy mouthfeel, this was different but awesome! (257 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Served into an approximation of the actual glass (stange with a bulge on top) at Loreley in NYC...

Appears quite dark, but in light you can see the massive chunks floating around inside. Always excites me. A nice 1.5 finger head that stuck around for a abit, made the whole thing look quite respectable. decent lacing throughout, even after the head settled.

Smells ... quite rich, very yeasty, similar smoked character to the weiss bock...very autumnal all around. No missing the fact that there's plenty of alcohol in there.

A nice first sip...smoky flavors, a bit of roasted quality as well as lots of sweet maltiness (though a bit less IMO than a serious quadrupel)...slightest hop hints...but then then the alcohol hits and does it pretty hard. Just as the eisbock should, I believe.

Fairly smooth, moderate carbonation makes it easier to drink initially than the abv would suggest...although that alcoholic burn does come out and slow the pace considerably. Smoother as it warms, although the alcohol gets a bit more prominent, overpowering the malts. Thus, while I enjoyed it quite a bit, I can't say this would be a regular plunge. Probably very nice for keeping warm on a frosty day, which is when I'll be trying it next I'd imagine. (1,254 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz bottle.
Aroma: Tons of spicey phenols. Prunes and raisins. Yeasty.
Appearance: Kind of a brownish/redish/purple? An odd color. Lots of bubbles and no head.
Flavor: Spicey as all get out. Roast and caramel. Prunes. Quite alcoholic.
Palate: At first its pretty silky and soft. Then settles into an alcohol burn and is prickly on the tounge.
Overall: Well worth the time, but I won’t have another. (406 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11%

11.2oz bottle # 07421 / bottled 2004

Aventinus Eisbock is a dark ice tea color (kind of murky amber) with lighter highlights towards the bottom of the glass. A 1/4" beige head recedes quickly down to a cap. Ton of particles floating around. Visibly high carbonation. No lace left.

The nose is spice, licorice, alcohol, fruit and an odd aroma of latex.
Pretty complex but it is almost overpowered by the alcohol.

The first taste was full of rich toffee and caramel. The alcohol is evident. Dark fruit like a ripe plum begins to emerge midway through. There is a good deal of sweetness in the finish.

This beer has a rich, heavy mouthfeel. Highly carbonated. Big-time warming effect. This is definitely one for sipping with the high ABV. This beer has vague similarities to Aventinus (IMHO), but if I tasted them blind I don't know that I could pick them out as relatives. (883 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

This pours dark brown with floaty chunks all about. I poured mine cold, and tried it all along as it warmed. Don't let this get too warm...

Smells of alcohol and molassis and malt.

Taste of alcohol. By the time I'm reviewing it, it got too warm. I'll back up to the cooler flavors - alcohol, malts and a slight hop balance. Some sweetness that is pleasent. Warm it is just alcohol syrup - but that doesn't count.

Mouthfeel is creamy before it warms up too much. At room temperature it is flat, but that doesn't count.

Finish is butery and warm and sweet with no bad aftertaste.

This is a good beer to try, highly recommended. I just noticed it says "12% abv" - wow - this hides it very well at the colder temps, I was guessing 8 or 9%. If you see this, do give a bottle a try. But drink it cool, not warm. (820 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights. A small tan head lasts only a moment before subsiding. Bizarre behavior of the ample carbonation - bubbles come to the surface and immediately dissipate, leaving no head behind.
Aroma is rich and complex. Prunes, brown sugar, roasted malt, and a touch of wheat are enveloped by a huge alochol presence. Palate is similar to the nose - lots of roasted malt tempererd by a touch of wheat. Notes of dark fruit (prune, plum) and brown sugar followed by a huge alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is pleasant - thick, slightly syrupy, slightly chewy, and a little foamy if agitated. A slow-drinking pleasure - be sure to reserve the better part of your evening to enjoy this phenomenal beer. (724 characters)

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH