Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros

vectrexgamer, Jun 20, 2012

Spitfirejay, May 14, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -70.5%

Drk93TT, May 20, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -57.5%

Pours dark brown with no head. Some yeast and sediment is present. Looks like crap.

The smell is a little sour and tart. Some cloying sweetness and a lot of alcohol. Blech.

Taste? Yuck. All alcohol. There's way too much booze in this guy. I greatly enjoy the Weizenbock, but this is overdone. I miss the banana and clove notes. This is just a disgusting mess. I will never have this again.

Litterbean, Sep 25, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -56.8%

A: maple syrup to brown. Slightly off white head.

S: German malty and slight bitey that's unpleasant. Maybe Belgian yeasty. Maybe tiniest smoke and spiciness.

T: malty with tons of residual sweetness. Lacking any bitterness.

M: thin overall

O: not good. Won't ever buy or recommend to anyone. Just not my style.

JerseyKirk, Dec 22, 2011

michaelfcasey, Mar 02, 2014

danieelol, Nov 28, 2011

SavvyStudent, Oct 31, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -49.3%

Holy cow, I just looked at the ABV...12%?!?! OK...

Even with my nose away from the glass I can smell the alcohol...reminds me of the whisky my Uncle and Grandfather would sip in the evenings. But we'll get there.

On the pour: vigorous carbonation with an odd cacading effect that nevertheless creates only a short-lived head. Beer is something of a muddy cola in appearance. No head and no lacing detract from the appearance score.

Aroma: Fruit and booze, like a fruitcake soaked in rum.also detect notes of something...beefy, for lack of a better word, like Worchestershire sauce. Complex, but man! There's no escaping that alcohol.

Taste: Good God. Sharp and nigh undrinkable. The high-octane flavor is more akin to a shot than a beer. Hits the back of the throat and leaves a trail of warmth all the way down. Afternotes of raisin and grains, but the alcohol is just too much. Much more watery in the mouthfeel than I would suspect.

Certainly different and not for the faint of heart. Might go down better paired with food, I suspect something cheesy or blood-rare. An acquired taste, and one I probably wouldn't recommend. Just not my thing.

Hunter, Feb 09, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -48.1%

Appearance: A nice transparent orangey brown, but the head was stubborn to form and didn't stick around very long.

Smell: The usual Aventinus aroma, wheaty and sweet, but this one seems to be extra extra sweet. We'll have to see how it pans out in the taste.

Taste: Not panning out very well. The sweetness is worse than I thought. It's just so caramely and sickening that I couldn't wait to be done with it. As an added minus, the alcohol really starts to show about halfway through the glass. And I mean really.

Mouthfeel: Alright until the alcohol kicks in, and then it produces a not so nice burning sensation.

Drinkability: Between the over the top caramel sweetness and the brashness of the alcohol, I hardly wanted to finish the glass, let alone have another.

Beef Notes: I was interested in this one, as I like Aventinus, but it turned out to be just plain disappointing, though I was into it at first. I don't think I'll be coming back.

BeefyMee, Mar 25, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

Given this as a gift in a single bottle for christmas. Poured into a wheat beer glass, pours deep cloudy orange with a 2-3 finger white head.
From here on out, my review is biased; I was given this because I like eisbocks, but the giver didn't realize it was a weizen-eisbock. I'm sure this is a world-class beer as the Bros have said, but wheat beers are NOT my thing.
The smell disgusts me entirely, almost to the point of throwing up. That yeasty, wheaty aroma which I know is a sign of a great wheat beer, makes me sick. It smells like an old peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me.
The taste isn't much better; if I ignore the smell I can stomach it, but barely. It's just a yeasty mess in my mouth. Again, I know it's an excellent beer, but I really do not like the style.
Mouthfeel was good, relatively full-bodied as wheat beers are wont to be. Unfortunately for me, the full mouthfeel only exacerbated my gustatory distress.
Overall, I feel like I'm not being fair to this beer. It's obvious it's an excellent beer, but wheat beers in general are not my thing.

BurgeoningBrewhead, Dec 26, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

prisoner1572, May 10, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -46.2%

Bottle number 052651

Brown goo on the bottom of the cap. Pours a brownish/red color. Yeast in suspension is very chunky. Little to zero head. What bubbles are left are very small. Sweet, malty, phenolic nose. Alcohol smell. Strong alcohol in the taste. Very hot. Whiskey aftertaste. Yeasty. Does not change much as I drink. I could barely finish it and considered dumping it. I was hoping to get over the initial flavor shock and pick up hints of something. None to be found. My tongue could simply not get over the whiskey and yeast. How could something as wonderful as Aventinus be mutated into something like this? I am told it is the same recipe, just finished off in the Eisbock manner. It works for some other Eisbocks I have had, but for this one it completely stripped away the blend of flavors that make Aventinus great and replaced it with an unpleasant alcohol burn.

sacfly, Jul 22, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -43.9%

Note: I am now seeing the reviews of others and noticing that this bottle is dated 2005. It is August of 2007. Perhaps I have reviewed spoiled or stale beer, but isn't this supposed to be one you can cellar?

Murky beer has little carb and no head. Looks like a flat glass of cola. Dark fruit nose with heavy sugar dates, slight, gentle yeastiness, blue berry, black berry, gingerbread...

Wow. Very different. Heavy dark cherry flavors hit hard at the outset. Peppery quality ushers in alcohol, I get ginger again. Alcohol vapors really bring the heat toward the finish. Aftertaste leaves my palate coated and I pretty much feel like I just drank some exceptionally great-tasting cough medicine, but not some exceptionally great-tasting beer.

Everything mellows out and comes together when the beer warms, but still, I am just not into this. I get some herbal hop finally. Any slight flavor contribution from the use of wheat seems to only add to or be swollowed by the harsh qualities of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is flat and very syrupy. I can not finish this.

I know many BAs will have issue with what I'm about to say, but really, if I want this kind of alcohol presence with this kind of flavor profile, I'm going to seek it out somewhere in the world of wine or spirits. I loved Klumbacher's Eisbock becuase I actually thought it did a geat job of bringing a dark, complex, flavor profile with warming alcohol, but still managed to taste very much like beer.

I think this is an interesting drink but lacks the drinkability of beer or the more etherial subtleties of spirits.

JudgeRoughneck, Aug 28, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

51mmz0rz, Jul 04, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -42.9%

Beer #15 sampled at Eastern Oregon DONG (Dudes of Northwest Grog) "We Will Bock You!" tasting @ Barley Brown's, 8.6.11.

Light gold a bit hazy body, white head, multiple streams of carbonation, quick dissipation and a thin ring of foam around edge of glass. There's something wrong here, wet cardboard, obviously oxided, overpowered any aroma and flavor nuances. While I'm not sure we would have enjoyed this re the wheat after being pounded by brown sugar, prunes, raisins etc, we all noticed this was one frigging boozy monster. The low light of the tasting. Another of my big deviation beers, the booziness reminded me of Founder's Devil Dancer, and while their are proponents of both of these beers, I'm not one of them. Pass.

jdense, Aug 07, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -41%

alicemcneil, Sep 12, 2012
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH