Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,241 | Reviews: 1,098

2.22/5  rDev -47.6%

Holy cow, I just looked at the ABV...12%?!?! OK...

Even with my nose away from the glass I can smell the alcohol...reminds me of the whisky my Uncle and Grandfather would sip in the evenings. But we'll get there.

On the pour: vigorous carbonation with an odd cacading effect that nevertheless creates only a short-lived head. Beer is something of a muddy cola in appearance. No head and no lacing detract from the appearance score.

Aroma: Fruit and booze, like a fruitcake soaked in rum.also detect notes of something...beefy, for lack of a better word, like Worchestershire sauce. Complex, but man! There's no escaping that alcohol.

Taste: Good God. Sharp and nigh undrinkable. The high-octane flavor is more akin to a shot than a beer. Hits the back of the throat and leaves a trail of warmth all the way down. Afternotes of raisin and grains, but the alcohol is just too much. Much more watery in the mouthfeel than I would suspect.

Certainly different and not for the faint of heart. Might go down better paired with food, I suspect something cheesy or blood-rare. An acquired taste, and one I probably wouldn't recommend. Just not my thing.

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

2.26/5  rDev -46.7%

Appearance: A nice transparent orangey brown, but the head was stubborn to form and didn't stick around very long.

Smell: The usual Aventinus aroma, wheaty and sweet, but this one seems to be extra extra sweet. We'll have to see how it pans out in the taste.

Taste: Not panning out very well. The sweetness is worse than I thought. It's just so caramely and sickening that I couldn't wait to be done with it. As an added minus, the alcohol really starts to show about halfway through the glass. And I mean really.

Mouthfeel: Alright until the alcohol kicks in, and then it produces a not so nice burning sensation.

Drinkability: Between the over the top caramel sweetness and the brashness of the alcohol, I hardly wanted to finish the glass, let alone have another.

Beef Notes: I was interested in this one, as I like Aventinus, but it turned out to be just plain disappointing, though I was into it at first. I don't think I'll be coming back.

2.27/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

It just didn't work for me. I've had others by Schneider and enjoyed them, but didn't care for the Eisbock.

2.31/5  rDev -45.5%

2.32/5  rDev -45.3%

Bottle number 052651

Brown goo on the bottom of the cap. Pours a brownish/red color. Yeast in suspension is very chunky. Little to zero head. What bubbles are left are very small. Sweet, malty, phenolic nose. Alcohol smell. Strong alcohol in the taste. Very hot. Whiskey aftertaste. Yeasty. Does not change much as I drink. I could barely finish it and considered dumping it. I was hoping to get over the initial flavor shock and pick up hints of something. None to be found. My tongue could simply not get over the whiskey and yeast. How could something as wonderful as Aventinus be mutated into something like this? I am told it is the same recipe, just finished off in the Eisbock manner. It works for some other Eisbocks I have had, but for this one it completely stripped away the blend of flavors that make Aventinus great and replaced it with an unpleasant alcohol burn.

2.42/5  rDev -42.9%

Beer #15 sampled at Eastern Oregon DONG (Dudes of Northwest Grog) "We Will Bock You!" tasting @ Barley Brown's, 8.6.11.

Light gold a bit hazy body, white head, multiple streams of carbonation, quick dissipation and a thin ring of foam around edge of glass. There's something wrong here, wet cardboard, obviously oxided, overpowered any aroma and flavor nuances. While I'm not sure we would have enjoyed this re the wheat after being pounded by brown sugar, prunes, raisins etc, we all noticed this was one frigging boozy monster. The low light of the tasting. Another of my big deviation beers, the booziness reminded me of Founder's Devil Dancer, and while their are proponents of both of these beers, I'm not one of them. Pass.

2.43/5  rDev -42.7%

Note: I am now seeing the reviews of others and noticing that this bottle is dated 2005. It is August of 2007. Perhaps I have reviewed spoiled or stale beer, but isn't this supposed to be one you can cellar?

Murky beer has little carb and no head. Looks like a flat glass of cola. Dark fruit nose with heavy sugar dates, slight, gentle yeastiness, blue berry, black berry, gingerbread...

Wow. Very different. Heavy dark cherry flavors hit hard at the outset. Peppery quality ushers in alcohol, I get ginger again. Alcohol vapors really bring the heat toward the finish. Aftertaste leaves my palate coated and I pretty much feel like I just drank some exceptionally great-tasting cough medicine, but not some exceptionally great-tasting beer.

Everything mellows out and comes together when the beer warms, but still, I am just not into this. I get some herbal hop finally. Any slight flavor contribution from the use of wheat seems to only add to or be swollowed by the harsh qualities of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is flat and very syrupy. I can not finish this.

I know many BAs will have issue with what I'm about to say, but really, if I want this kind of alcohol presence with this kind of flavor profile, I'm going to seek it out somewhere in the world of wine or spirits. I loved Klumbacher's Eisbock becuase I actually thought it did a geat job of bringing a dark, complex, flavor profile with warming alcohol, but still managed to taste very much like beer.

I think this is an interesting drink but lacks the drinkability of beer or the more etherial subtleties of spirits.

2.5/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

2.5/5  rDev -41%

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

A- murkey brown colored with lots of fast moving small bubbles, and a huge head that vanishes quickly

S- yeast, alcohol, banana, clove, and bubble gum

T- woah, lots of alcohol burn. not as many wheat like characteristics as i could smell.

M- thin and liquor like with tons of carbonation

D- i liked the idea of a stronger flavored aventinus, but this had just too much noticeable alcohol and felt like i was sipping a glass of hard liquor. maybe this style just isnt for me. one bottle was just about more than i could stand.

2.76/5  rDev -34.9%

Dark, cloudy, reddish/brown dirt colored. Well carbonated (amazingly so given the 12%) though not much lacing.

An over powering blast of sweet dark fruits, deep candy malts, and a huge alcohol nose.

There's a darn good beer here behind this strong alcohol kick. I just can't get past it though. This is possibly the hardest to drink beer I've had recently and by far the strongest german beer. This is like a Weizen concentrated with a shot added into it for good measure.

I'd guess this should hold up to some age and that should mellow the alcohol. There is a really good if not great beer hiding under that alcohol.

2.82/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a somewhat muddy brown into my glass. The head settles into a compact, clean ring. The bubbles are very tight, the structure more what I would expect from a lager yeast. Not wowing me, not terrible.

Aroma is rich, boozy, dark, and heavy. Leaden, really. Not really impressed here, either. The notes of banana and chocolate that occasionally poke through are smothered by a blanket of alcoholic fumes.

The taste is full, to be sure, and dense. It never feels rich, however, not the way a good aged barleywine does, not the way a beer of this strength should luxuriate in the drinking. This could be part of the aggressive carbonation (more on that in a second), but, even with a more forgiving CO2 ratio, the alcoholic, one dimensional flavor would not be worthwhile.

The mouthfeel I found to be completely inappropriate -- very tight bubbles, and lots of them, scrubbing too hard, never allowing the beer to sit properly. I let the glass sit for a half-hour at one point, hoping time and temperature would blossom the beer's flavors, and let the carbonation dissipate . The carbonation did dissipate, and the flavors became stronger, but they never developed.

Drinkability is low. It's boozy, gassy, all over the place. I wasn't all that thrilled about finishing the one glass. A 3.0 I consider generous.

All in all, a big disappointment. Perhaps I should be kind, as this bottle may have had ill effects from its trip across the Atlantic, but I can't use that excuse -- I've had countless, beautiful, ponderous glasses of Aventinus' regular offering, unharmed byth the travel. The regular Aventinus is a great beer, a world class beer -- this was a letdown. Just more proof that bigger doesn't always mean better (see Bastard, Double).

An unfortunate (and expensive!) loser.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Something to bring in the new years, or to start welcoming the new year. Pours a cloudy brown with a lot of sediment. Smells quite pruny. Tastes like whoa...prune juice, vodka, caramel, bit of apple and spices, and all of it quite strong. Overall it is a sipping beer and one you must approach with an open mind. Definetly not a session beer, a sipping nightcap type beer. It's a little too fruity for my hoppy palate, but just my opinion only.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH