Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
2.43/5  rDev -42.7%

Note: I am now seeing the reviews of others and noticing that this bottle is dated 2005. It is August of 2007. Perhaps I have reviewed spoiled or stale beer, but isn't this supposed to be one you can cellar?

Murky beer has little carb and no head. Looks like a flat glass of cola. Dark fruit nose with heavy sugar dates, slight, gentle yeastiness, blue berry, black berry, gingerbread...

Wow. Very different. Heavy dark cherry flavors hit hard at the outset. Peppery quality ushers in alcohol, I get ginger again. Alcohol vapors really bring the heat toward the finish. Aftertaste leaves my palate coated and I pretty much feel like I just drank some exceptionally great-tasting cough medicine, but not some exceptionally great-tasting beer.

Everything mellows out and comes together when the beer warms, but still, I am just not into this. I get some herbal hop finally. Any slight flavor contribution from the use of wheat seems to only add to or be swollowed by the harsh qualities of the alcohol. Mouthfeel is flat and very syrupy. I can not finish this.

I know many BAs will have issue with what I'm about to say, but really, if I want this kind of alcohol presence with this kind of flavor profile, I'm going to seek it out somewhere in the world of wine or spirits. I loved Klumbacher's Eisbock becuase I actually thought it did a geat job of bringing a dark, complex, flavor profile with warming alcohol, but still managed to taste very much like beer.

I think this is an interesting drink but lacks the drinkability of beer or the more etherial subtleties of spirits.

2.5/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into 0.5L Duvel tulip. 2004 / 24881 on the back. From 2004?

A: No head. Looks like a dark iced tea, but cloudy with small bubbles.

S: Smell of yeast, some honey sweetness, and alcohol.

T: Not much here besides yeast sweetness and alcohol. Slight bitter finish. I wish the sweetness would at least hide the alcohol, but it doesn't.

M: Carbonation is good, mouthfeel good too, but the alcohol is a bit overbearing.

D: Alcohol is high, and not masked well. Not horrible if I sip it. I can't give it a one, because I didn't pour it down the drain.

I'm keeping in mind that the bottle might be a little old, but I thought for the abv, it would have aged fine. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy this.

2.5/5  rDev -41%

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

A- murkey brown colored with lots of fast moving small bubbles, and a huge head that vanishes quickly

S- yeast, alcohol, banana, clove, and bubble gum

T- woah, lots of alcohol burn. not as many wheat like characteristics as i could smell.

M- thin and liquor like with tons of carbonation

D- i liked the idea of a stronger flavored aventinus, but this had just too much noticeable alcohol and felt like i was sipping a glass of hard liquor. maybe this style just isnt for me. one bottle was just about more than i could stand.

2.76/5  rDev -34.9%

Dark, cloudy, reddish/brown dirt colored. Well carbonated (amazingly so given the 12%) though not much lacing.

An over powering blast of sweet dark fruits, deep candy malts, and a huge alcohol nose.

There's a darn good beer here behind this strong alcohol kick. I just can't get past it though. This is possibly the hardest to drink beer I've had recently and by far the strongest german beer. This is like a Weizen concentrated with a shot added into it for good measure.

I'd guess this should hold up to some age and that should mellow the alcohol. There is a really good if not great beer hiding under that alcohol.

2.82/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a somewhat muddy brown into my glass. The head settles into a compact, clean ring. The bubbles are very tight, the structure more what I would expect from a lager yeast. Not wowing me, not terrible.

Aroma is rich, boozy, dark, and heavy. Leaden, really. Not really impressed here, either. The notes of banana and chocolate that occasionally poke through are smothered by a blanket of alcoholic fumes.

The taste is full, to be sure, and dense. It never feels rich, however, not the way a good aged barleywine does, not the way a beer of this strength should luxuriate in the drinking. This could be part of the aggressive carbonation (more on that in a second), but, even with a more forgiving CO2 ratio, the alcoholic, one dimensional flavor would not be worthwhile.

The mouthfeel I found to be completely inappropriate -- very tight bubbles, and lots of them, scrubbing too hard, never allowing the beer to sit properly. I let the glass sit for a half-hour at one point, hoping time and temperature would blossom the beer's flavors, and let the carbonation dissipate . The carbonation did dissipate, and the flavors became stronger, but they never developed.

Drinkability is low. It's boozy, gassy, all over the place. I wasn't all that thrilled about finishing the one glass. A 3.0 I consider generous.

All in all, a big disappointment. Perhaps I should be kind, as this bottle may have had ill effects from its trip across the Atlantic, but I can't use that excuse -- I've had countless, beautiful, ponderous glasses of Aventinus' regular offering, unharmed byth the travel. The regular Aventinus is a great beer, a world class beer -- this was a letdown. Just more proof that bigger doesn't always mean better (see Bastard, Double).

An unfortunate (and expensive!) loser.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Something to bring in the new years, or to start welcoming the new year. Pours a cloudy brown with a lot of sediment. Smells quite pruny. Tastes like whoa...prune juice, vodka, caramel, bit of apple and spices, and all of it quite strong. Overall it is a sipping beer and one you must approach with an open mind. Definetly not a session beer, a sipping nightcap type beer. It's a little too fruity for my hoppy palate, but just my opinion only.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Why mess with perfection and freeze Aventinus to take the water out of it just to make it stronger? The best thing about this beer is how the head is so thick and snaps, crackles, and pops all the way to the bottom of the glass. Other than that, I am not impressed and don't understand the hype associated with this beer. The chocolate malt flavor is more present in this version but does not blend well with the very harsh alcohol flavor. Its like someone took a imperial stout and dumped a shot of cheap vodka in it. I would rather see them try and brew a triple bock instead of just taking water out of the dopple bock to get a stronger more maltier beer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What's next, kegs of Chimay?

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

poured a deep garnet-blood red that is hazy in the center and a thin head that dissappears completly after a bit. winey/vinious aroma with alcohol and the german wheat beer aroma lying underneath it, estery and bubblegummy. good amount of carbonation that cuts through a little too much of the decent body on this beer. a thickish wheat beer upfront in the taste followed by a spicy phenolic finish with a good amount of alcohol. I couldn't even finish this though, either wasn't up to it/or couldn't. I was hoping for this to be better than what it was...worth a try at least.

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance is a dark brown with maroon to orange highlights when held to light. The head is thick and dense, but no lacing left behind. Powerful scents remind me of black licorice and root beer - very unique smell. There is a lot going on in the taste - both good and bad. Banana, clove, dark fruit, molasses. It's very complex. But the finish and after taste reminds me of cherry cough syrup. This seemed to get stronger as I drank it, and finally, I couldn't take it anymore. The alcohol is very prominent, and its effects are quickly felt. The mouthfeel is syrupy and slick. I'm not sure how to grade this beer, as it is so complex, but I did not care for it personally, and will reflect this in the overall score.

2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

12 oz single from Red Wagon (Rochester, Michigan) obtained and consumed in December 2004. Poured in a manner to retain the sediment in the bottle. Copper brown that is mildly cloudy and a thin head that quickly settled to a thin ring around the glass. Smells primarily of alcohol and perhaps some spice from noble hops (Saaz?). The taste is sweet alcohol and some bock character. The alcohol sting stays thoughout and after really searching beneath it, I could pick out some othe flavors. There was a hint of clove and, oddly, a hint of cocoa. Mouthfeel was medium-thick and carbonation was moderate. This bock wasn't 'bock' enough for me and the alcohol was just way too much. I'd like to recommend Kulmbacher as a much better representation of the style.

2.96/5  rDev -30.2%

This was the first Eisbock that I have tried. All positive comments aside from the taste. I guess I was looking for the same experience one gets if you compare a glass Johannesburg Riesling with a glass of Eiswien- indeed the alcohol and sugar content of this Eisbock is stronger, but the flavor of this beer was not what I expected. It has a very strong syrup flavor and reminds me of port wine. I am eager to try other beers of this style.

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass. Head formed quickly, but resolved almost as fast. No head to speak of remained. Vibrant carbonation was present with dissipation not contributing to any lasting lacing.

Smell - Very strange aroma. Hints of banana, with a spice offering as well. Poured warm. ALOT of a phenol presence. Quite distracting for my taste.

Taste - Wow, big alcohol kick with a continued taste to what the aroma provided as a lead-in. At first, I almost equated this with a Samichlaus, but that was quickly dismissed as the body didn't continue to build. It was just the alcohol talking.

Mouthfeel - The big carbonation fills your mouth and gives you an added "kick" that was begun with the initial alcohol "umph". Watch it on this one. I will say that the intial aroma and taste continues unabated throughout the life of this beer. Nothing much more to see.

Drinkability - As this being my first Eisbock, I'm at a loss as to comparisons. However, I will say this is quite the sipping beer to be enjoyed throughout the evening. Don't try this at home without appropriate supervision! :) I'll have to put some of these away to see how well these mature. To my taste, I didn't find this high ABV as appealing as other offerings. I'll have to expand my experience with Eisbock's to provide a fair comparison.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH