Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Longstaff

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Why mess with perfection and freeze Aventinus to take the water out of it just to make it stronger? The best thing about this beer is how the head is so thick and snaps, crackles, and pops all the way to the bottom of the glass. Other than that, I am not impressed and don't understand the hype associated with this beer. The chocolate malt flavor is more present in this version but does not blend well with the very harsh alcohol flavor. Its like someone took a imperial stout and dumped a shot of cheap vodka in it. I would rather see them try and brew a triple bock instead of just taking water out of the dopple bock to get a stronger more maltier beer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. What's next, kegs of Chimay?

06-17-2002 08:39:28 | More by Longstaff
bobhits

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Dark, cloudy, reddish/brown dirt colored. Well carbonated (amazingly so given the 12%) though not much lacing.

An over powering blast of sweet dark fruits, deep candy malts, and a huge alcohol nose.

There's a darn good beer here behind this strong alcohol kick. I just can't get past it though. This is possibly the hardest to drink beer I've had recently and by far the strongest german beer. This is like a Weizen concentrated with a shot added into it for good measure.

I'd guess this should hold up to some age and that should mellow the alcohol. There is a really good if not great beer hiding under that alcohol.

03-26-2011 19:10:03 | More by bobhits

08-20-2012 15:08:59 | More by ajs4bd
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -34%

Something to bring in the new years, or to start welcoming the new year. Pours a cloudy brown with a lot of sediment. Smells quite pruny. Tastes like whoa...prune juice, vodka, caramel, bit of apple and spices, and all of it quite strong. Overall it is a sipping beer and one you must approach with an open mind. Definetly not a session beer, a sipping nightcap type beer. It's a little too fruity for my hoppy palate, but just my opinion only.

01-01-2007 00:02:39 | More by Manosbeeroffate
DeltaGolfSierra

Tennessee

2.8/5  rDev -34%

Appearance is a dark brown with maroon to orange highlights when held to light. The head is thick and dense, but no lacing left behind. Powerful scents remind me of black licorice and root beer - very unique smell. There is a lot going on in the taste - both good and bad. Banana, clove, dark fruit, molasses. It's very complex. But the finish and after taste reminds me of cherry cough syrup. This seemed to get stronger as I drank it, and finally, I couldn't take it anymore. The alcohol is very prominent, and its effects are quickly felt. The mouthfeel is syrupy and slick. I'm not sure how to grade this beer, as it is so complex, but I did not care for it personally, and will reflect this in the overall score.

12-29-2011 12:21:44 | More by DeltaGolfSierra
ithacabaron

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a somewhat muddy brown into my glass. The head settles into a compact, clean ring. The bubbles are very tight, the structure more what I would expect from a lager yeast. Not wowing me, not terrible.

Aroma is rich, boozy, dark, and heavy. Leaden, really. Not really impressed here, either. The notes of banana and chocolate that occasionally poke through are smothered by a blanket of alcoholic fumes.

The taste is full, to be sure, and dense. It never feels rich, however, not the way a good aged barleywine does, not the way a beer of this strength should luxuriate in the drinking. This could be part of the aggressive carbonation (more on that in a second), but, even with a more forgiving CO2 ratio, the alcoholic, one dimensional flavor would not be worthwhile.

The mouthfeel I found to be completely inappropriate -- very tight bubbles, and lots of them, scrubbing too hard, never allowing the beer to sit properly. I let the glass sit for a half-hour at one point, hoping time and temperature would blossom the beer's flavors, and let the carbonation dissipate . The carbonation did dissipate, and the flavors became stronger, but they never developed.

Drinkability is low. It's boozy, gassy, all over the place. I wasn't all that thrilled about finishing the one glass. A 3.0 I consider generous.

All in all, a big disappointment. Perhaps I should be kind, as this bottle may have had ill effects from its trip across the Atlantic, but I can't use that excuse -- I've had countless, beautiful, ponderous glasses of Aventinus' regular offering, unharmed byth the travel. The regular Aventinus is a great beer, a world class beer -- this was a letdown. Just more proof that bigger doesn't always mean better (see Bastard, Double).

An unfortunate (and expensive!) loser.

04-08-2008 01:16:41 | More by ithacabaron
shippos

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

poured a deep garnet-blood red that is hazy in the center and a thin head that dissappears completly after a bit. winey/vinious aroma with alcohol and the german wheat beer aroma lying underneath it, estery and bubblegummy. good amount of carbonation that cuts through a little too much of the decent body on this beer. a thickish wheat beer upfront in the taste followed by a spicy phenolic finish with a good amount of alcohol. I couldn't even finish this though, either wasn't up to it/or couldn't. I was hoping for this to be better than what it was...worth a try at least.

12-27-2004 15:27:58 | More by shippos
Stanford

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

This was the first Eisbock that I have tried. All positive comments aside from the taste. I guess I was looking for the same experience one gets if you compare a glass Johannesburg Riesling with a glass of Eiswien- indeed the alcohol and sugar content of this Eisbock is stronger, but the flavor of this beer was not what I expected. It has a very strong syrup flavor and reminds me of port wine. I am eager to try other beers of this style.

01-30-2008 03:15:07 | More by Stanford
mentor

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -30.9%

12 oz single from Red Wagon (Rochester, Michigan) obtained and consumed in December 2004. Poured in a manner to retain the sediment in the bottle. Copper brown that is mildly cloudy and a thin head that quickly settled to a thin ring around the glass. Smells primarily of alcohol and perhaps some spice from noble hops (Saaz?). The taste is sweet alcohol and some bock character. The alcohol sting stays thoughout and after really searching beneath it, I could pick out some othe flavors. There was a hint of clove and, oddly, a hint of cocoa. Mouthfeel was medium-thick and carbonation was moderate. This bock wasn't 'bock' enough for me and the alcohol was just way too much. I'd like to recommend Kulmbacher as a much better representation of the style.

12-23-2004 04:09:46 | More by mentor
DoubleJ

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Update 3/4/11: What the hell happened to my Weizen Eisbock?

Poured into an Eisenbhan Wiezenbock glass, the color is the same, but there's better head retention. The aroma is more boozy and grapey, but I can still make out those weizenbock charactersitcs. The taste is where it goes downhill; lots of uber-sweet raisin flavored alcohol dominate with the clove and banana bread tastes pushed way aside. Mouthfeel remains very likeable, big, syrupy, and smooth, not too boozy in this respect, and sticky around the mouth. Damn, this is too sweet; I'm going to struggle to finish the 330 ml serving.

This bottle was a 2010 vintage (costing $5.49), so perhaps it needs a little more time to be outstanding. Or perhaps my tastes have changed so much since my last sampling nearly 4 years ago. I've had my helping of Aventinus Classic in between that time, and I'll be more than happy to drink that in the future.

(4/23/07)

This better be good. I spent $5.19 for an 11.2 oz. bottle at Town and Country Liquor, and it has a printed number on the back of the label. It says 2005/11325 on the back of the label. Well, the moment has come to try it out:

Dark red to brown in color, it's an eye catcher, but where's my head? I barely got one when it was poured, and it quickly went down. But that's okay, I enjoyed everything else this brew had to offer. Have you ever tried to mix a Doppelbock with a Hefeweizen and an Eisbock? That's the best way to describe this beer. It has that delicate yeasty, phenolic, fruity flavor of Hefe's, the chocolate maltiness and raisins flavors of a Doppelbock, and that body warming kick of a Eisbock. All of this creates an extremely well-balanced brew, an incredibly smooth texture, and the defying drinkablilty which begs me to have another of these. At 12% ABV, you better watch how much you drink of this, but it's so damn good.

If this review couldn't get any better, I now know I can find this at quite a few establishments, and cheaper too. Hooray!

Original rating: 3.5/5/5/5/5

Ontario (Canada)

11-07-2012 02:32:59 | More by cfalovo97
Nesued

South Carolina

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass. Head formed quickly, but resolved almost as fast. No head to speak of remained. Vibrant carbonation was present with dissipation not contributing to any lasting lacing.

Smell - Very strange aroma. Hints of banana, with a spice offering as well. Poured warm. ALOT of a phenol presence. Quite distracting for my taste.

Taste - Wow, big alcohol kick with a continued taste to what the aroma provided as a lead-in. At first, I almost equated this with a Samichlaus, but that was quickly dismissed as the body didn't continue to build. It was just the alcohol talking.

Mouthfeel - The big carbonation fills your mouth and gives you an added "kick" that was begun with the initial alcohol "umph". Watch it on this one. I will say that the intial aroma and taste continues unabated throughout the life of this beer. Nothing much more to see.

Drinkability - As this being my first Eisbock, I'm at a loss as to comparisons. However, I will say this is quite the sipping beer to be enjoyed throughout the evening. Don't try this at home without appropriate supervision! :) I'll have to put some of these away to see how well these mature. To my taste, I didn't find this high ABV as appealing as other offerings. I'll have to expand my experience with Eisbock's to provide a fair comparison.

06-16-2007 00:57:45 | More by Nesued

08-30-2012 17:27:26 | More by deanhead
goz

3.08/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottle 08158 from 2001.
Pours very dark cloudy brown, small head, and minimal lacing. Aroma is powerful - banana, dark fruits (raisin and plum), maybe some apple in there,too. Flavor starts with some banana, middle has the other fruits mixed in with alcohol, and ends dry with a strong alcohol feel to it. Very light carbonation, and a good bit of warming alcohol parade around the mouth.

02-04-2003 09:20:35 | More by goz
Geuzedad

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured this from an 11.2 oz. into a wine glass. Bottle dated 2010 batch #023869

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that faded quickly leaving some tan lacing.

Smell was dried fruits with some wheat and bread smells noted and a hint of alcohol.

Got a fruit/bread taste and finished with a bite, mostly alcohol, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel was smooth, and slick, carbonation noted but not overpowering, alcohol left a tingle.

This was my first Eisbock. Drank it on an empty stomach...wow. A noteworthy experience but not a beer I would have multiples of. Good for a winter night by the fire to feel the warmth, but a night out on the town and I would be looking at the bottom of the bar stool. I would definitely drink it again.

02-24-2011 22:49:10 | More by Geuzedad
TastyAdventure

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -26.9%

After reading all the extolling reviews on this rare and special beer, I prepared myself for a powerful punch of strong flavor and a malty rich mouthfeel that could live up to the hype (and price).
Honestly, I was disappointed.

The beer seemed a little "bland" in taste compared to the hype I was reading all over the internet. I'm sure if I would not have psyched myself up for "the best beer experience of my life" then I would have enjoyed this beer more and accepted it as the special delicate treat that it is.

I will definitely try this beer again while managing my expectations.
I'm sure I'll enjoy it more next time.

11-13-2012 02:01:51 | More by TastyAdventure
TexIndy

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a DT snifter. 2008/04209 on the back label. Was a hazy dark mahogany color. Some carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was dark fruits, overripe banana, clove and a lot of alcohol. I liked the non-alcohol portion of the aroma as it reminded me of the regular Aventinus which I love. The taste was dominated by the alcohol with very little of the base Aventinus coming thru. Tasted like taking shots each time. I've only had one other eisbock (Kuhnhenn Raspberry) and it did a lot better job of blending in the alcohol. That one I'd have again but not this one.

Overall, not for me. The alcohol taste just dominated the flavor and made me think whiskey more than beer. The aroma seemed to blend it better but not in the flavor department. For me, one and done.

[1x]

08-26-2009 22:30:07 | More by TexIndy
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Picked up a few of these a while ago. I'd put them in my fridge but for some strange reason I couldn't bring myself to opening this one. Weird but true.

Poured into a snifter.

A rather agressive pour produced just one finger of foam that left quickly. Minimal amouts of lacing so I was left with something that looked like coca cola without all the bubbles.

Loads of smells on this would keep you from thinking it actually is coca cola. There is a soap like scent mixed with booze. Lots and lots of sweetness.

Flavors are intense but I just can't get passed the soapy chemical qualities in this beer. There is also dark fruits, banana and all that. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Medium to full body. Lots of flavors that linger around.

I guess it's good. The soapy thing is just something I have a hard time with. I have one more left but think I will just pass it on.

06-10-2011 17:49:32 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH