Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,103 | Hads: 2,350
3.37/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

The Tap 6 Aventinus is one of my personal favorites,but I've yet to indulge in their eisbock offspring up until now. Poured from a 500ml bottle into an Erdinger glass. I think it's very fitting.

Appearance: Dark brown with a good half inch of brownish tinted head that dissipates rather quickly and little lacing. I notice that there are little to no sediment or "floaties" as opposed to the original Aventinus, which is an unfiltered brew. This beer in an Erdinger glass looks amazing, and I feel this is definitely how you should drink it.

Smell: My nose is a little plugged, but I can definitely smell the wheat, and I can pick up some caramalized scents and a bit of alcohol.

Taste: First taste makes me check the bottle. 12% alcohol. Huh, that was a little unexpected. I can taste the malt and wheat first and foremost, and some sweeter tastes, like toffee or burnt sugar. The alcohol is pretty noticeable, not sure if anyone else picked up on this.

Mouthfeel: This is thick, almost stout thick. Was really let down by this, because being a "Heffe Head" as I like to call it, one of my favorite things about this particular style is the smooth, easy drinking feel and taste to them.

Overall: When I heard about a second Aventinus beer that was a hybrid with a bock, I was struck with joy. After drinking this beer, I remember my dad telling me "Don't get too excited over things; Something about it will be bound to disappoint you". This beer is a good choice, but the feel really killed it for me. I guess I'll be sticking to the original. (1,553 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Murky and dark, with a sweet tea appearance. No head at all, even when poured vigorously...only a very thin ring of tiny white bubbles. No lacing.

S: Alcohol is in the forefront, with a slightly fruity smell. It's a bit like raisins, or more accurately raisin bread...it has a slightly sweet smell that you get when cooking raisin bread.

T: The flavors are very similar to the scent. It has a huge fruity flavor up front, with some bread-like aftertaste. No bitterness, just lots of sweetness. I don't taste much alcohol. Very malty.

M: The mouthfeel is very very full. It is unquestionably a sipper. It has a pretty sharp bite.

O: I like this beer, especially for the fact that it is 12% and it masks the alcohol relatively well. You can still tell it is there, but it still tastes like a beer. There were only a few downsides, where I thought it was a bit too fruity and I would have liked more head...even though it's hard for a high alcohol beer to have a decent head, this didn't have one at all. (1,008 characters)

12 oz bottle.
Aroma: Tons of spicey phenols. Prunes and raisins. Yeasty.
Appearance: Kind of a brownish/redish/purple? An odd color. Lots of bubbles and no head.
Flavor: Spicey as all get out. Roast and caramel. Prunes. Quite alcoholic.
Palate: At first its pretty silky and soft. Then settles into an alcohol burn and is prickly on the tounge.
Overall: Well worth the time, but I won’t have another. (406 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Had beer at beer fest in Seattle, poured into Four Ounce glass. It was poured out of a pitcher, I am not sure why it was in a pitcher and didn't come out of a tap or a bottle. It felt a little flat, didn't have a bad mouth feel, but it wasn't really one that I totally appreciated. I liked the taste, it had a good taste from what I could tell, perhaps I should try it in the bottle form from the local place and give it another look. I will look for this at world market in the future. (486 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer pours a brown color with very little head and no lacing on the glass. The aroma was very weak, but alcohol comes through well here. The flavor had a lot of alcohol in it as well, but it has a raisin sweetness. The mouthfeel is pretty thick on this one, but the alcohol character is too upfront and unmasked. (317 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -18.9%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a snifter
Unknown brewing (bottle number 023597), iced 05/07

Poured a deep dark brown mahogany with a small very light brown quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of strong roasted dark rye bread, cloves and cinnamon, raisins, bananas, sherry, molasses.

Taste was upfront strong bitter sweet dry sherry or whiskey with molasses, raisins and leather followed by a harsh bitter earthy and leathery feel and some light burnt sugar and grassy hops on a long whiskey liquor finish.

Palate was medium to full bodied, creamy, softly carbonated lightly astringent and strongly alcoholic.

Overall, this feels like drinking liquor. Pairs up nicely with a cigar, but a little harsh to drink. A sipper at best. Very strong and interesting aromas though. (818 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pouring this beer produces a thin head that quickly falls flat. The body is a deep garnet and purple with a lot of yeast particles floating around.

The nose of this beer is very strong with a notable wheat malt sweetness blended with prunes, figs and raisins. Alcohol is quite strong masked slightly by a moderate cinnamon smell.

Flavors start quite gentle with a nice dark fruit presence blending with a black pepper spice. The fruit flavors strengthen and mix with a rich, wheat malt sweetness. The finishes approaches with an increased spice flavor and stronger alcohol. I expected better flavor density and complexity from this beer.

The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and very spicy but it ends quite dry from the alcohol presence.

Drinkability is good but it is a sipping beer for sure. The alcohol content is always noticeable and kills the flavors after a while. I expected a bit of this effect from the style but not quite as much as received with this beer. I'll take a regular Aventinus, please. (1,022 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.4%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt.

Turbid, unfiltered brown. The head is dense and lasting.

Estery, fruity nose. Jam-like, very sweet. Ripe blackberries, fried bananas and figs, caramel, some breadiness.

Sweet and burning on the palate - unabashed booze and malt. Flavors of stewed dark fruit and banana bread with a slight clove spiciness beneath the malt onslaught. Syrupy body. Lingering caramel and banana flavors in the finish.

Not bad, but I much prefer regular Aventinus. (478 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 7/31/08. Bottle, 2005. Pours brown with a small tan head. Aroma is quite sweet, of raisins, alcohol, and super sweet malt. Flavor is rather vegetably (squash, carrot) and sweet. I tasted these exact same flavors in another bottle and wasn't sure if the bottle was in poor condition, but as this is my 2nd bottle, I feel pretty confidant in regards to its vegetably taste. Strong but still drinkable (wow, I couldn't believe it was 12%!). Decent, but not particularly a favorite.
6/4/7/4/15 (3.6/5) (509 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.2%

Not much head on this one, but that's to be expected at 12%ABV. Dark red-brown body looks OK, but is unremarkable.

The aroma reminds me of a sweet or semi-sweet red wine. Very fruity with some definite alcohol. Some clove/banana character does show up as it warms.

The taste is potent. This is the most intensely flavorful beer I've taste yet - moreso than Samichlaus or Abt 12. It's so intense that it's a little hard to get a reading on the individual components but there's definitely the banana and clove parts as well as a winey component that reminds me again of a sweet wine, but without the balancing acid. Lots of alcohol.

The body is medium-thick with too prickly carbonation. Less or creamier carbonation would work better here.

As much as the flavor of this one is pleasant, the drinkability is terrible for me. It's just too intensely sweet and flavorful and there's too much alcohol. (901 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

500mL bottle. Pours a dark brown with light brown hues and a half inch of head. No lacing. Aromas of banana, cloves, booze, and dark fruits. Flavors of banana, cloves, earth, dark fruits and a bit flowery. Some chocolate and vanilla. Almost too sweet. Doesn't taste as boozey as you'd expect from a beer with 12% Abv. Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, not something I could drink all the time but a decent beer. (403 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

I am reminded of those warm summer evenings, standing in the Delta Farm barn, idly running my hands deep into the bins of soft white wheat. Not the hard red, but that fine pasta flour white. Like a dream, I can see myself grab a handful of the grain, still full of field pea and vetch seeds, and push it towards my mouth. It enters me, I bite on the hard kernels and get...dried banana chips?

The nose consists of bananas, wheat, alcohol, and a bit of the larger order, spicy alcohols. Maybe cloves, I can't tell. The mouth, similar. Different, not bad, not great, just different. My first eisbock, not my last.

Victory! (624 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Aroma: Very yeasty. Fruity, banana. Banana bread. Bready. Spicy, cloves. Bubblegum. Dark fruits.

Looks: Very dark brown with ruby red highlights. Small-off white head that pulls a disappearing act like you wouldn't believe (poor head retention). No lace.

Taste: Brown sugar, cloves & spicy, yeasty flavours. It reminds me of guava ( a tropical fruit) juice. Banana. Alcohol bites your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Average carbonation. Alcohol bites your tongue.

Overall, I like it, but I prefer the wiezenbock much more. (527 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%

I found a bottle of this yesterday at a local beer distributor. The bottle is from 2007, and has a touch of dust on it, but was way in the back of the shelf where it was out of sunlight and was pretty inexpensive, so I snagged it. Excited to try this, as I've experimented a bit with Eisbock homebrews, but have never tried a professionally crafted one.

When poured into my Brooklyn Local 1 glass, which is kind of a hybrid Pilsner/Tulip glass, it yields a very dark mahogany color with ruby highlights around the edges. Cloudy in the center that clears on the sides. Tons of foam fluffs up, as expected from a brew with wheat, but dissipates quicker than I've ever seen a head dissipate. Very low carbonation after the initial pour.

WOW! I could smell this thing from a mile away and it smells AMAZING. The scent of Munich malt (which I love in any beer) is focused and sharp in a way I've never experienced before. This is also loaded with dark fruit character reminiscent of plums, raisins, etc., with a touch of tart fruitiness at the end. Needless to say, the alcohol scent is also massive, but very comforting and inviting, not offensive.

SWEET JESUS! This beer literally (not literally, figurative, but whatever) just punched me in the face with flavor. It tastes exactly how it smells (no I don't have synesthesia, you know what I mean). First impression is that it tastes more like a mixed drink than a beer, with really strong sugary sweetness and alcohol. Forefront of the sip really hits you hard with Munich malt, which goes into massive dark fruit flavors, followed by an abrupt tartness, then finishes with a big alcohol flavor.

However, unlike the aroma, the alcohol flavor here is pretty overpowering and unpleasant. It has a delayed effect on the palate where it doesn't interfere with the robust flavors of the beer, but kicks you in the nads a second or so afterwards to spoil the overall effect. I didn't mind it so much at first (despite the nad-kicking comparison), but as the drink warmed and I got deeper in, the alcohol became more intense with an aftertaste like cheap whiskey. Really surprising considering this beer has had two years to mellow. I've had beers this big before (Scaldis, Mephistopheles, many DFH brews, etc.) and the alcohol didn't bother me, but in this beer it seems to conflict with the other flavors instead of melding together into one experience.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy in a pleasing way, but the appetence assault and assertive alcohol (too much alliteration?) make this a sipper. I didn't want more than a few ounces of it.

In terms of pairings, I read that it works well with fruit-based desserts. Lucky for me, plenty of dessert left-overs were laying around from X-mas. Went well with most of them, but paired VERY well with mince pie. They just seemed like they were made for each other.

A bit disappointing overall, considering how excited I was to try this. Maybe the quantity is just too much for a beer this big? Next time around, I'll grab a fresh bottle, pour a few ounces into a snifter and see what happens. Though, big props to the brewery for throwing up something so unique and intense. They're certainly breaking the mold on this one.

On a side note, I didn't finish the last few ounces of the bottle. Not because it was a "drain-pour", as some say, because it certainly wasn't, but because the sediment kicked up into the glass. Normally this wouldn't bother me, particularly for a Weizenbock, but the sediment wasn't the cloudy haze you normally see, it was very solid and chunky (probably due to the age), which was really unappetizing. Not a fault of the brewer, so I didn't factor it into the scoring, but something to consider if you see an older bottle of this Eisbock. (3,758 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle 2007 / 01176

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark brown w/ a luscious 1 finger white head. Minimal lacing

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum, caramel and spice. As the beer warms up the alcohol becomes more pronounced.

Taste: Almost light at first(banana's)followed by dark fruit, caramel and a touch of spicy warmness. Clove and cinnamon come through. Very tasty

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is a bit lacking. It really coats the inside of your mouth w/ a....cough syrup like feel to it.

Drinkability: Well at being 12% alcohol it would be hard to have more than 1 or 2 of these during a single night.... (629 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.2%

To be honest. I feel bad giving this beer such a low score.

Poured a dark ruby color into a goblet. From the onset you could smell the alcohol off this thing. How much alcohol is it? 12%!!!

Anyway... It is medium bodied. I feel that it is Aventinus with an alcohol kick. You can taste bananas and hints of coffee and chocolate. However the alcohol definitely permeates through the entire beer. Definitely a sipping beer and not a session beer.

Worth a try none the less. Seek it out if you can. (503 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the brown bottle No. 023778 into a wine glass the beer was a medium brown color that setteled at a burgandy tinge when slightly warmed. A sliver of white head formed and no lacing at all, as expected.

The smell was wheaty with slight grain and malt. Perhaps a slight citrus in the nose with some corriander and caramel as well. Dark fruit and grapes are also apparent.

The taste of alcohol is apparent upfront. A very warming and smooth taste. Very red-wine like. A malty/wheaty taste to each sip. No bitterness at all and very little to no hop character. Darker fruits such as fig and grape are also in the taste.

Medium body, with no carbonation.

A good beer to sip, perhaps in even less than the 11oz. bottle size. The flavors did not really provide that much for me. An enjoyable beer, but my first of the style. Perhaps, this is just not for my taste. (880 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -17%

Poured a deep hazy caramel with thin off white head.

Aroma is sweet with strong scents of brown sugar. Pouring this is like cutting open a bag of brown sugar and sticking your face in it.

The first thing that struck me about the flavor was the taste of brown sugar and honey like candy. The initial flavor is like a smack in the face of sweetness. No bitterness to be found anywhere. No balance, just supersweet cloying sugar, honey, and candy. Definitely smells better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel is sticky and thick, one of my favorite parts actually.

Alcohol is so obvious, and the sweetness is so sickening, I don't know if I'll be able to finish the bottle. (673 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into new belgium snifter. 1 1/2 fingers of tan foam. Small speckled sediment immediately found it's way to the bottom of the glass. Color is a true brown that fades up to the foam.

Smell is very distinct with dark fruit, malt and a hint of chocolate. Whether or not oak is involved i seem to smell it.

Very sweet with a slightly tangy aftertaste.

Flavors transitions very fast from sweet to tangy

Definitely worth trying but far from being a session beer. I was one and done (498 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.7%

I like the label on the bottle, and i haven't noticed a quickly dissipating head.

Deep mahogany purple body, and a slightly off-white head that is nice and thick.

Scent is a cross between the lightness of a weizen and the richness of a bock. Coriander and citrus hints, with a rich, spicy malt and hop profile. Tastes of a maltier, heavier weizen; but the taste is predominantly weizen. Spicy, lemony tastes are quite noticeable.

Thicker than a weizen and smoother than back. Easy to drink, but the ABV can be a bit too much, even with the bottle size. (561 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

This beer is super foamy, dark brown with a ton of head but not much lace. The smell is strong with alcohol but the malt pleasantly breaks through. This beer is super smooth and sweet. There are some grain in the taste and closely resembles a barleywine. It is an all a round great beer with a nice warming feeling. (315 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Look: the beer pours a dark brown color with a fluffy light-brown head.
Smell: Strong alcohol, caramel malts, banana, clove, sweet dark fruits and peppery hops.
Taste: Roasted malts, clove, banana, wheat, dark fruits, citrus and spicy hops. The sharp alcohol is really strong.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation.
Overall: Unbalanced brew. The alcohol is very disturbing (379 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter. Served slightly chilled. Bottle number: "2012 09502".

A: Pours about a finger of thin white head which quickly dissipates to a thick cap and ring. Lots of carbonation which slowly built itself back up after the pour. Body is a clear burgundy.

S: Interesting nose. Strong port wine, salted meat (??), and sweet malts. Some warm booze does appear.

T: Strong port and sherry notes. Quite hot with sticky sweet malts. Some brown sugar and cherries. Almost like a huge aged barleywine.

M: Very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Low carbonation with a medium/full feel. Quite hot though. You definitely feel the abv on this guy.

O: A big, sweet, malty, and strong beer. As mentioned, like a big aged barleywine with no hops left. What was most appealing to me was the persistent head and creamy mouthfeel. Too sweet and hot overall though. Still, I can see holding back a few of these for an extra cold night. (945 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Poured a one finger light tan head that fell to a thin collar. Slightly chill hazed brown body.

S: Nose was fruity - banana, dates, figs - with light spice and alcohol notes that picked up in intensity as it warmed.

T: Huge on the tongue, where (unfortunately for me) the clove overpowers notes of bready malt, caramel, dark fruit, and some alcohol.

M: Full, almost syrupy body. Smooth - softly carbonated, with the alcohol warming the spicy aftertaste. After the glass warms some, the warming becomes a slight burn.

D: No surprise here, it's a sipper only. However, that's not due to the alcohol, which is present but not overwhelming. What hurts the drinkability (at least for me) it that it's both syrupy and clove dominated. (735 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

A- a good looking beer. A nice amber-yellow color that forms a stable, thick white head

S- Smells citrusy, with hints of caramel coming through

T- Banana is the most prevalent taste, although it starts off a bit citrusy. alcohol taste not overwhelming

M- very smooth and pleasant to swallow. Not harsh on the mouth at all

O- This a good beer. Although not a fan of banana taste in general, I can see how this beer would have much appeal with others. It scores well in other categories. (489 characters)

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH