Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a DT snifter. 2008/04209 on the back label. Was a hazy dark mahogany color. Some carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was dark fruits, overripe banana, clove and a lot of alcohol. I liked the non-alcohol portion of the aroma as it reminded me of the regular Aventinus which I love. The taste was dominated by the alcohol with very little of the base Aventinus coming thru. Tasted like taking shots each time. I've only had one other eisbock (Kuhnhenn Raspberry) and it did a lot better job of blending in the alcohol. That one I'd have again but not this one.

Overall, not for me. The alcohol taste just dominated the flavor and made me think whiskey more than beer. The aroma seemed to blend it better but not in the flavor department. For me, one and done.

[1x]

TexIndy, Aug 26, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Picked up a few of these a while ago. I'd put them in my fridge but for some strange reason I couldn't bring myself to opening this one. Weird but true.

Poured into a snifter.

A rather agressive pour produced just one finger of foam that left quickly. Minimal amouts of lacing so I was left with something that looked like coca cola without all the bubbles.

Loads of smells on this would keep you from thinking it actually is coca cola. There is a soap like scent mixed with booze. Lots and lots of sweetness.

Flavors are intense but I just can't get passed the soapy chemical qualities in this beer. There is also dark fruits, banana and all that. Alcohol is present but not overwhelming.

Medium to full body. Lots of flavors that linger around.

I guess it's good. The soapy thing is just something I have a hard time with. I have one more left but think I will just pass it on.

doopiedoopiedoo, Jun 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -25.7%

This is fantastic if you like sweet beers. I do not so I was left a little cold. Opaque brown body, refined small bubbles. Large head. Sweet rye bread aroma. Taste of alcohol and rye bread. Sweetness pretty disturbing. It would be hard to believe if I found they had not brewed this in cinamon casks. Smooth mouthfeel with the elegant bubbles tickling. The flavor of this beer rocks, but I cannot get over the sweetness and the high alcohol.

Naerhu, Jul 22, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -25%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle number 28404 from 2008.

A: Dark with a head that quickly fades and leaves a thin film on the surface.

S: Cloves, bananas, and sugar. Like regular Aventinus turned up to 11.

T: Again, cloves, bananas, and sugar. It gets pretty cloying in a hurry. Slight roasted aftertaste.

M: Heavy. Not much carbonation.

D: It's an interesting idea, but in the end, it was way too big for me. I didn't come close to finishing the bottle. If I'm going to have this in the future, I'm going to have to split it with three or four people.

BarrelO, Apr 25, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle number 2004 / 23488 ~ It's old!

The pour into my too-large Aventinus normal weizen glass raises almost no head at all, just a thin tan layer that quickly (and noisily) fades to nothing. There's a lot of thick, chunky sediment in the murky brown/red/copper body. I suppose I should have poured carefully, but I didn't expect this from the style. A strong, sweet raisin scent poured out of the bottle with the liquid immediately. There are also notes of molasses, pepper, mint, and alcohol. The taste is syrupy-sweet, with huge maltiness. I suppose there's a bit of flavor reminiscent of wheat, but perhaps I wouldn't have said so if I didn't have a label to read. The alcohol is also quite forward. For something so huge, the mouth isn't absurdly thick. Carbonation is minimal, though. A bit rough, overall.

mjc410, Mar 08, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance: A slightly cloudy mahogany with an off-white head. Fair retention. Fine, slow-moving carbonation.

Smell: Dense! Alcohol fumes, sticky sweet dark malts, burnt sugar, overripe banana. A bit smoky, perhaps?

Taste/Mouthfeel: Jesus. Alcohol heat in a big, big way off the bat -- the vapors just roll down your throat. Once that clears slightly, uh... how about... burnt banana liqueur? Phew, it's just overwhelmed by the burning booze, methinks. Mouthfeel is pretty good, maple syrup with bubbles.

Drinkability: For me, bad. It's just too boozy, too hot, too saturated -- it's just too much.

WetCoaster, Apr 28, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -24.5%

A: An aggressive pour yeilds a small white head and a cloudy dark brown body. The head quickly fades to a thin ring around the outside of the glass leaving no lacing behind.

S: Smells of sweet overripe dark fruits. Strong notes of clove and alcohol, also some banana in there.

T: Alcohol is quite present in this one, as expected at 12%. Lingering tastes are of clove and spices. Big malty character and a bit sweet, almost syrupy.

M: Not much carbonation as I would like, but it is quite smooth and goes down easy.

D: Although this beer is quite smooth, it has some very strong flavors that I'm not enjoying all that much. It's not a bad beer, just not to my liking.

spartanfan, Nov 28, 2009

Dirty25, May 21, 2014

beernads, Feb 07, 2013

CwrwAmByth, Jun 29, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours out brown-amber with a low head that quickly is gone.
Smells winey , with some clove and cherry.
Tastes a little too sweet for me..and I like sweet beers. A lot of chocolate- covered- cherry flavor , with some cough syrup phenol; and the alcohol punching through. Very winey, with all kinds of spice. Sweet sherry finish.
Very low carbonation...almost syrupy mouthfeel...not crazy about the lingering sweet at the end.
This is actually very similiar to Kasteel Red in taste, mouthfeel and alcohol concentration.
Boy, just one is kicking my ass...pretty high ABV.
I really like Aventinus , but not sure I like it as concentrated as this.
I guess I'll stick to the Weizenbock...and leave the eis zum die kuhle leute( sorrry, high school Deutsch many years ago).

Hautacam, Jan 25, 2006

fredmugs, Apr 20, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

11.2oz brown bottle with bottle # 00490/2005 on the back. Pours a murky brown with some sediment. No head or lace to speak of. Looks thick. Smells of dried dark fruits, brown sugar, alcohol. Very complex. Again dried dark fruit and brown sugar. Very fruity. Thick and syrupy. Hard to drink on a warm June night. Not the best Eisbock I have had but it shoul age very well. I think I will buy some more and stash them away. This one was just too young.

sabrills70, Jun 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance: Poured a cloudy brown and was almost opaque in the glass. Fizzy head that disappeared immediately. Very little visible carbonation. Looks dead.

Smell: Smells sweet, rich, and less alcoholic than I would have thought. Banana, esters, and dark fruit aromas. Some molasses/caramel sweetness.

Taste: Very alcoholic to start with, also masking other flavors. Dark fruit flavors and molasses like sweetness. Almost too sweet (syrupy) with the alcohol and sugar giving a weird tingle in the back of your throat. Off flavors present at the end as well.

Mouthfeel: Strong alcohol bite that makes the beer a little hard to truly savor. Little carbonation makes it feel very flat and lifeless. Medium body.

Drinkability: Too much alcohol and too little flavor. Lack of carbonation and off flavors may indicate a bad bottle, though.

Buy Again? Maybe, to see if this one was an aberration.

jonziefle, Feb 05, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle from 2005. Pours a cloudy brown with a small, off-white head. It has a strong smell of alcohol and clove and secondary smells of soy sauce and cheese. Wasn't thrilled about the soy sauce and cheese aspects. Tastes of pepper, spice, clove and banana and bubblegum.

gameface23, May 01, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

-dark brown in color with a very deep reddish, almost purple hue to it. soda like light brown head that only sticks around the edges of the glass for the most part

-very fruity sweet on the nose. almost to the point of being tart...kind of like a sweet tart candy. powdery sense to it. there is a bit of malt deep in there too

-it's hard to really say what is going on in the taste. it's just a big mash-up. heavy malty, but not to a degree to where there is any standout flavors. the carb bite just really gets in the way

-quite carby. it is almost like a soda. big bite on the tongue and throat. it is warm, but not as much as i thought it would be

-not a big fan. i drank the whole thing, but it was more like soda to me. oh well. was excited for it, but cant like em all i suppose

juhl31, Mar 09, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer is strong! 12% really comes through and warms your insides.

Appearance:Musky and a little cloudy if you pour in the yeast sediment. Dark brown, kind of burnt umber. Head dissapates very quickly leaving an undynamic looking beer in the glass.

Smell: Fruitcake. LOTS of dried fruit flavours in here. As the beer warmed, however, a slight hint of soy sauce entered the mix. Not my cup of tea.

Taste: Very sweet and powerful flavours of fruit. The alcohol is definately there. I let a few other people try it and like me, all they could really define was the fruit and a whole bunch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation, but the strength of the alcohol will make your mouth numb if you keep it in there too long.

Drinkability: Haha. Well this, I would say, is a half-bottle-a-night beer. Make sure there's someone around to share with or you'll be dancing on the table in no time.

Overall: This is a beer probably for a more refined palette than mine. I could appreciate the fruitiness but the alcohol to me gave the beer an unpleasant character. I doubt I'll try it again.

Hornet2003, Dec 28, 2006

Reviewed 9/25/2007 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy dark brown reddish color. Light tannish head - diminishing. Flowery aroma, malty & hoppy but very flowery. Some alcohol. Flowery taste, some alcohol and, fizzyness. Very good. Tastes a lot like a Belgian triple or strong ale.

jujubeast6000, Feb 18, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Pours a very effervescent dark brown color with a huge head. The head settled down nicely though to just over one finger in size.

S: There is a huge malt smell from this one. I detect hints of banana, clove, and maybe even some vanilla, pretty nice.

T: Huge alcohol taste here, a little too boozy for my liking. I realize it is 12% ABV and it shows. Behind the alcohol I could taste a molasses like sweetness along with dark fruits like figs and raisins.

M: Full bodied and carbonated, leaves a slight sting from the alcohol.

D: Not my cup of tea, one bottle was plenty.

Overall: I was not a huge fan of this beer. The taste was nice, but I think the alcohol taste masked the true flavor of this beer. Nice to say I have had it, but I probably would not buy it again.

tpd975, Jul 01, 2007
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH