Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,118 | Hads: 2,395
4.52/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a chalice. Cheers to Corey for making me aware of this one!

A - Deep amber hue with a fair kacki head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Super sweet banana bread, prunes and a touch of fig. I like it.

T - Follows the nose with the addition of nuts and nutmeg. No trace of the booze, short of a slight warmth.

M - Full creamy body with moderate carbonation.

O - A fantastic Eisbock that I will return to regularly. Buy this.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from the bottle into a curved wheat ale glass. My first Eisbock, might as well go all out here, let's see what she gives. Bottle number 2011 049133.

A three finger head with lots of staying power, seriously looking frozen in place with a light caramel top that slowly settles. Body color is a classic mohogany brown, with a faint just super faint tiny pin head bubbles slowly rising.

Nose hits with, a real interesting character that I have never sense before in any beer. Fruit raspberry, but toned down with a chocolate faint malt backbone. Fruit character takes over, turns into an amalgamation of red fruits, into a nice jammy spread, and faint dry character hinting at a juicy texture maybe coming? I am very intrigued for my first Eisbock, this has major potential. I am sensing raspberry but with no sense of raspberry fruit in this at all.

Taste hits with a surprise. More liqueur like than beer, surprising nice rolling tolerable heat mixing with maraschino heat cherries and a dry yeast finish. Palate has a nice tolerable simple texture not taking away from anything in taste. No fizzy carbonation with truly a classic wheat chew texture. Malt richness turns to an incredibly fruit red sense, juicy, lingering.

Overall, this was NOTHING what I expected for this style on first try. I love this red fruit angle, and warming tolerable boozy character. Just a great unique brew.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

330mL bottle - best before 10th July 2019. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a deep rich dark brown, turning to a ruby red when presented to light. Thin head that quickly dissipates around the centre, hanging on to the edge of the glass.
S: Viciously complex - dark fruits, molasses sweetness. Caramel. The classic banana/clove notes that only the greatest wheat beers produce.
T: Wow. Take a belgian quad, and ramp up the taste profile. Dark fruit, massive sweetness. Banana notes linger on the palate. I would swear there was added sugar to this, but no. The magic of the eisbock. So rich, so amazing.
M: Low to medium carbonation, decent mouthfeel however a bit thinner than regular Aventinus maybe?
O: This is the daddy. I'll never forget the day I tried the original Schneider Weisse for the first time. I've been lucky enough to sample their product fresh in Munich consistently over the past two years. Sadly their bottled product does not compare to drinking the real thing fresh, however this is a true advertisement of what this special brewery is capable of. A true magnum opus - herzlichen glückwunsch, Schneider.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a almost black clour, with a big off white head. Good retention. Smell of dried fruits, spices, vanilla, clove, banana, lemon, alcohol. Medium body, one expect some more. Taste of prunes, figs, whisky, coffee, banana, spices. This is a hell of a beer, complex, rich and one that I sure will buy more.

500ml bottle

The pour puts a murky chestnut colored beer in the goblet with a sufficient sticky cap that laces.

Aroma is like Aventinus but less pungent and more defined and complex...clove phenolic bubblegum-passion fruit-banana and cocoa is very distinct...glorious !

The flavor is Aventinus doppelbock on steroids..the concentrated malt acts like a rich viscous sweet bread blanket which floods the palate leaving the banana-bubblegum-fruity esters to poke up through it and the clove phenols stab through this complexity the ice process creates.

This is my flag beer...I love it...it’s pretty much bottled sex

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

*Drool* A favorite of mine from last year; a bar owner friend of mine kept a small stash behind the bar just for me. I haven't had any in a while, and last night, hanging out with some good friends, seemed as good a time as any.

Dark brownish-red with a light tan head that quickly fades back into more of a ring than legitimate head. Reeks of alcohol, esters, and phenols. Clear and obvious, yet muddled (not in a bad way) fruits -- obfuscated tropicals like banana -- and a slightly peppery clove-ish sensation.

Too sweet to have a strong identification with a lot of the more subtle "wheat" characteristics. Ripened fruits, dry fruit, spiciness. Ass-kicking alcohol bitterness wipes up. As this warms even closer to room temp, its many subtlties come out to play. The alcohol becomes a bit dominant, of course, on the back end. But fascinating combinations of slightly plasticized fruits and phenolic flavors play around on the tongue a bit more. Just a powerfully large brew with a fairly dense mouthfeel.

For a 12% brew, this is impeccibly drinkable, on par with many of the other high abv greats from Belgium, Unibroue, etc. I've got 2 more of these in the back of the closet chilling out. I want to see what they're like in 2006.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

A weather advisory warning was issued in Southern Ontario for record snowfall since a decade ago. People were advised not to leave their homes. Drinking this Eisbock is one way of celebrating this occasion (or rewarding yourself after shoveling snow).

I have had this beer at warmer temperatures before, but this time I had decided to leave this beer in the freezer at -18 C (~0 F), just for this extra special day. No, the bottle did not explode, not a leak in fact. It poured into a stein glass like syrup with bits of ice pellets mingling with the 3/4 inch head. Soon the bubbles rise up like soft snowflakes.

This is very similar to the other Aventinus, but much more potent in flavour. There is a very evident plum taste, or a deep carmalized banana and clove taste. What follows is a taste of sweet grain. The taste of the alcohol is not too severe, but its mixed in nicely with the noble hops that were used. (You can't taste it, but the alcohol is certainly there). The aftertaste is slightly smoky and resiny. I imagine that the beer used before the freezing process must have been pretty sweet, and that additional yeast was added to achieve secondary fermentation.

This is a great beer. It is very drinkable for its high alcohol content. I wish I can do this again tomorrow.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A perfect pour. Cloudy dark brown with a great 1 finger white, creamy head. This head never dies and leaves the perfect creaminess on top. Nice. Really nice. Smells great. Sweet raisins, dark fruits and other intriguing smells.

Taste is excellent. Sweet raisins. Dates. Dark fruits. Caramel/toffee. Slight earthiness. Touch of brandy. Everything is perfectly balanced. Rich and delicious. Love it. This is how you do an eisbock.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Creamy, rich, yet with a nice carbonation level to give it a nice bite at the end (and keep it from being cloying). Alcohol warms at the end.

Drinkability is also excellent. For a 12% beer of this sort, I find this very drinkable. Oh so good.

Highly recommended. This is an excellent eisbock. I think it's time to buy some more...

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a cloudy brown. It pours with a beautiful amount of thick creamy head.

S: I can smell bananas. It smells like the banana laffy taffy. I can smell a touch of wheat and a touch of caramel malts.

T: Again a very nice banana taste. There is a nice yeasty bread taste. I can also taste some marzipan. A taste of green grapes and plum towards the end.

M: There's a nice carbonation feel. I can let it warm up in my mouth with out to much of a sting.

O: I think this is a great Eisbock. It's interesting, feels great in my mouth, and most importantly taste great.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

G. Schneider & Sohn's Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock: bottle dated 2011; serial # 005218.

I poured about half of the bottle into my glass, then gave the rest of the bottle a modest swirl, poured about half of what remained, then gave the final few ounces a more vigorous swirl, poured them in, and there still remained some sediment on the bottom of the bottle. This yielded a hazy, chocolate-brown body that allows some burnt umber and rust hues to shine through when held up to a strong light source. The grayish beige head rises high and stick around a while before slowly falling to a half-inch ring of foam that evenly covers the top of the beer. I waited and waited for the ring to dissolve into lace. It didn't. Rarely have I seen such staying power.

The beer's aroma is strong enough to reach my nose before I lean in for closer inspection. When I do, I'm greeted with an intriguing bouquet. Dark rum and molasses are at the fore, and complemented by notes of roasted dried figs, prunes and raisins, cloves, and black pepper. A very mild citral aroma lurks somewhere in the background. My mother decorates and perfumes the house in the wintertime by sticking cloves into whole, unpeeled oranges The aromas in this beer remind me of times spent sipping ports and red wine and eating rich holiday fare with the faint smell of those spicy oranges in the background.

My first sip of this beer tells me that it begs to be sipped slowly. Its body is thick, almost syrupy. The alcohol's flavor is well-integrated: It is palpable on the palate, and warms both throat and stomach.

The myriad flavors suggested in the nose are present in each sip, but to them are added those of tawny port wine and cane sugar, roasted hazelnut, black bread, and dates in molasses syrup. The flavors dance about on the palate and grow bolder and more complex as the beer warms. Drink this brew slowly.

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock is one of the most interesting beers I've tasted. It me over an hour to finish the 11.2 oz. bottle, and when I was finished I thought to myself that I was just growing accustomed to the beer's intensity and complexity. I'll be revisiting this one soon.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

A Schneider Weisse beer review has been a long time coming, and this is none other than their Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, Eisbock being based on the Lager style of Bock, which is German for ‘billy goat’ [go on, look it up, I dare ya]. ‘Eis’ is German for ‘ice’ and this style is made by freezing the Doppelbock barrel and scraping off the ice - meaning the alcohol content is higher than it would have normally been (as a side note: this is similar to the technique used by BrewDog to create their monster 40%+ ABV brews). Anyway back to Schneider Weisse - I once mentioned casually that I thought their Tap 7 Hefeweizen was as good as Weihenstephaner... well I finally got my hands on a bottle of Tap 7 [review forthcoming].

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A: Bronze-copper cloudy body with a nice half centimetre beige head that I’m amazed is there in the first place (12% ABV beers don’t normally retain any head). I’m giving an extra point for that. 9/10.

S: Deadly! There’s an unmistakeable aroma of over-ripe banana from the Weizen, but lurking in the background is one mother*****r of a huge ethyl alcohol note - I’m concerned I may be drinking disinfectant. There are added bread, dark fruit and brown sugar touches in there as well. Smells good... but deadly. 8/10.

T: Yes, it’s got a LOT of alcohol, but it’s been hidden well amongst the flavours of: over-ripe banana, clove, raisin, date, bread and brown sugar. This is one Eisbock that goes down deceptively easy... then “oh look, I’m tipsy”, not really but it does sneak up on you nonetheless. The finish is a curious mix of evaporating alcohol and bitter medicinal herbs. It is sweet, but not a sugar bomb. A+ Schneider Weisse. 10/10.

M: Mid to heavy bodied with a touch of cloying from the sugar and a creamy/dense Weizen carbonation. 8/10.

D: I do love a good Doppelbock... and I love a good Weizen, and this is both - so of course I love it. Cons: It’s a bit OTFT* This is definitely a night-cap of a beer. Also drink it chilled, I had it room temp and as a result it was a tad much. Otherwise I say prost! You will enjoy this if your love for Doppels and Weizens is as strong as mine. 9/10.

Food match: The back label has a few suggestions (in German) among which is “tiramisu and fully ripe parmesan” - hold the parmesan and you’ve got a deal.

*Over The F*****g Top.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This comes out of the bottle a deep, semi-transparent brown with a thick beige head. Aroma is strong and malty with a hint of molasses and a touch of hops. Flavor is rich and smoky, mainly malty but with a little hop taste. Texture is fairly smooth and with a nice ragged alcohol bite.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured in teku glass. The beer is dark brown, kind of reddish color and very opaque. The head looks very creamy, almost like a cappuccino froth with big bubbles at the base and finer ones at the top. This tends to dissipate fast. Very unique looking beer! The aroma is not a kick in the face. Definitely the banana, bubble gum and spice character of a wessbier but accompanied but a dark fruit character, typical of a quad. Almonds, cherries, brown sugar and no alcohol whatsoever! Wow! The taste reveals more its dark fruits character and a liquorous aftertaste with medium persistence. The first sips are quite prickly on the tongue. The beer has a medium body and a creamy mouthfeel again typical of a cappuccino. Very very nice!

Drinking as I type

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark dark reddish amber. Lots of gunk at the bottom, watch out if thats bothersome to you. Two finger head that virtually disappears. Very little lacing.

S: Phenolic, yes there is a hint of kindergarten art class paste there along with a rum and coke smell and a hint of clove and hard cider.

T: Wow there is a lot of shit going on here. Reminds me a bit of Dogfish Head's Raison D'etre, but I like this much much more. Deep dark caramel rum flavors intermingled with dried fruits and clovey spiciness.
Alcohol is strong and one is left with its warmth.

M: With a beer this high in alcohol I was expecting a light body, but what do I know? This one is medium to full bodied. A superb mouthfeel. The Germans know their Scheiße!!!

D: Very strong but if you likie sippie bier then you drink up. Ubermensch likie sippie this bier.

The story behind this beer is really cool. Read the back of the bottle. Serendipity at its finest, and reinvented to boot!!!11

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with active carbonation.
Smell: Aroma presents with highly pronounced notes of dark fruits, such as raisin, currant, black licorice, and a hint of chocolate. A little boozy in the nose.
Taste: Sweet and tingly upon first taste. Leans big-time on the malty side with mild chocolate,but bigger doses of raisin, dark cherry, and vanilla. Slightly cloying and again a bit boozy with a big alcohol warmth at the end.
Mouthfeel: Big, syrupy, and smooth.

Overall: Aventinus on steroids! Big-time sipper here, pretty darn complex and enjoyable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I could drink this all day. Well done Eisbocks are tough to beat and this is nearly the best that I’ve had. The booze Is covered remarkably well. The phenyls that do come through are pleasing and add to the feel by warming and soothing the mouth, tongue, and throat. Appears deep and dark and deceivingly purple, more a reaction to the bottle’s label then the beer itself. Medicinal aromas and rich spices, bananas and jams, fermented mystery fruits that you might find in your great aunt’s cupboard… Caramel, bubblegum, yum, yum, yum…This is so good! If I ever find this on tap it will lead to one hell of a drunken night, or rather, a great drunken couple of hours followed by a hellish and sleepless night and an even worse morning. This beer is like an M32 grenade launcher. It’s versatile and can hit you six times in 3 seconds. I love it.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours out like a root beer. No fizz whatsoever.
Very intimidating to say the least.
The smell is like a fine wine. So many aromas to take in.
Fruits and chocolate and clove and spices.
The taste doesn't fail here either. So many flavors. First is dark malt and sweet fruit. Followed by an alcoholic rush of warmth.
There is toffee and choclolate and coffee and (take your pick)
Mouthfeel is wonderful. Can't feel the alcohol in the mouth, you feel it in the esophagus.
You wouldn't and probably couldn't drink more than 2 of these at a sitting so I have to rate this a bit low even though it is one of the best beers I have ever consumed.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Dark dark ruby, such an amzing color. Tranquility from looking down upon it. A beautiful lake, during the late night hours. Not a very big head, but what it lacked on the head, was made up for in retention. This beer just retains, retains, and then retains some more.

S - Sweet ripe fruit, light chocolate, malt, and more malt.

T - Taste upfront is a huge malt rush. Dark fruits, rich chocolate, cloves, and spice. Alcohol presence is definitely there, and attributes the flavor incredibly well. Mouthfeel is creamy, fullfilling, and makes the palate tingle. Nice and full-bodied. This is one excellent sipper.

Aventinus overdid themselves with this beer. A mistake, that was well worth being mistaken for. A world class Eisbock.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

I arrived home and poured the eisbock into a goblet. It was as the Phantom said..."tremulous and tender; hard as lighting, and soft as candlelight". Such succulent sweetness! As if an entire school of fish of were traversing across my tongue, cascading myriad flavours to the fathoms below. Sweetnes unfolding into tartness fading away into absolute savoury perfection. Such a relief of thirst! And such a fire of warmth! I need fear not a single winter's night in the valiant arms of this faithful libation. How delightful is it to know that the nectar of the gods exists, and that you have dared to drink of it's delectable deliciousness?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Part of the Poitras/VA 2004 vacation.

Enjoyed at Capital Ale House - Innsbrook, Glen Allen, VA

Tan 1/2" head over a dark brown brew, and laced admirably. Deep grainy aroma, with alcohol character apparent. Flavor indicates a chewy wheat brew with hearty consistancy. Mouthfeel and drinkability excellent for the style.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one amazing brew, absolutely deserving of all of its acclaim. It's not the prettiest thing to look at--almost muddy and with minimal head--but its aroma is captivating, like a sweet and syrupy banana puree. The taste is much the same along with notes of dark fruit--raisin and prune. The alcohol is well hidden but the rich flavors keep it a sipper. A great dessert beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

oh baby.....what a beer. murky apple cider appearance, thin foamy head. aroma of caramel apples, cloves, and some banana....tons of malt...and sweet alcohol. above average carbonation, with a thick chewy mouthfeel. massive body on this one....lots of wheat and yeast flavors with caramel malt flavors in the background. a definite hop presence and......... oh yeah...an alcohol bite that is very noticeable, and very welcome. an awesomely powerful beer, huge in every way! alcohol warming effect immediately. 11.2 oz of sheer bliss in a bottle!

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
Served: March 2013

Appearance: Actually, if there is one fault in this beer, it is that it is not the prettiest. Kind of chocolatey, kind of raisin colored, but the yeast in it all makes it scatter the light a little weird around the edges which makes it kind of look brownish-grey at times. No head to speak of because of the alcohol content.

Smell: Smells just like an Aventinus- raisins, dates, molasses, and yeasts.

Taste: Tastes like a concentrated Aventinus (surprise!). The Aventinus flavors, if anything, hit you more in this beer because you have less carbonation and yeasty flavors to get in the way of the dark, molasses-y fruity flavors. Interestingly, I find you can feel the alcohol on this one way more than other high ABV beers (cf. 120 Minute IPA), which is actually a little offputting.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, but with an astringent alcohol presence.

Overall: Amazing beer. Though you can taste/feel the alcohol at times, it is still immensely pleasurable, especially if you like just plain-old regular Aventinus. Gets better as it warms.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

bought and drank in cambridge, ma, november '09.

pours a dark, dark brown, just short of black opaque from the side, but showing a light chocolate brown when held up to the light. off white head, medium dense, dies quick, but not that quick considering 12%.

smells of dark fruits with a touch of alcohol presence. a little earthiness is present, balanced with malty sweetness

taste is excellent - strong bock, rich dark fruits, just a bit yeasty and just a bit of alcohol presence on the end. just what i would expect from a strong wheat, very impressive.

decently carbonated, exceptionally smooth mouthfeel, decently thick

12% is barely noticeable - i'd have rated it ~6% by taste alone. tastes great. strong kick is not for guzzling, but could sip this all night.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: This beer poured a deep amber to brown color. It poured with a decent creamy tan head.

Smell: This beer has a very strong aroma of dried fruit, bready malt, sweet tropical fruit, and alcohol. It has a very sweet smell.

Taste: The taste is very similar to the smell. It is rich with a creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation is low and the finish is dry. Flavors of dried fruit and sweet malt are strong and there is a slight tartness. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy.

Overall: This beer is very good for its style. It is not my favorite style, but it is wonderful with grilled pork and chocolate.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH