Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,102 | Hads: 2,350
4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I purchased htis 12 oz bottle from Heritage liquor in St. Paul MN

bottle # 2007/ 15723

It poured an off brown, dark cola. Head was very similar to a cola as well.
No laceing on the glass, thin off-white head on the top of the liquid.
Smelles of merlot, blueberries and malt, with sharp alchahol aroma.
Taste is mainly malt with alcahol present. Some black licorice present as noted before me. Very sweet. Some peppercorn in the middle.
Carbonation is high, this is a medium bodied beer with a very warm swallow.
I would really recommend this beer.
The process of freezing the beer and draining off the reamianing liquid is really interesting.

Damn good beer. Very simple in flavor, any more complexities and it may have interfered with the simple humble quality of this fine beer. (783 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance – This poured dirty brown in color with lots of carbonation and a big head considering the monstrous ABV.

Smell – Big, huge dunkles weizen aroma. The yeast is mammoth and shows off a bit of the traditional malty bock as well as a subtle warning of alcohol. The aftermath of this monster aroma is beautifully-spiced banana notes that complete the package.

Taste – Man, what a mouthful. This is the biggest, baddest, dark yeast flavor that I’ve ever tasted, and I lived in Germany for six years. The sharp alcohol just adds to the concoction. What a treat!

This is fine alcohol that you would expect from an expensive brandy, and the yeast is the real German deal. The fruity banana comes up huge as well, and the spices (predominantly clove) are large and in charge.

Mouthfeel – The alcohol tinge was big here, but this is what you’d expect from the real “ice beer”. The German weizen flavors came out wonderfully, puffing the cheeks and filling the mouth. It is fuller than full and well worth the effort to chew it down.

Drinkability – I felt like a king drinking this bottle. What an amazing example of this unique and often overlooked style. (1,179 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

A 330ml bottle with a BB of April 2015. Picked up from my local beer specialist some time ago. Been looking forward to this one for a while.

Poured into a Delirium chalice (I don't have an Aventinus glass). A hazy dark brown hue with tons of yeast sediment and strong carbonation. Produces a large head of light brown foam to begin with, but this rapidly subsides to nothing. Aroma - in a nutshell: liquid fruitcake. Notes of plums, dried fruit, marzipan, molasses and brown sugar. A big, warming hit of alcohol in the background.

Tastes of intensely sweet malt with a fruity character and a boozy finish. Notes of prunes, dried fruit, molasses, brown sugar and fruity yeast esters. The alcohol really makes itself known upon swallowing - hot, spicy and astringent, but blending nicely. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, with a slick sensation from the alcohol. Nice, tingly carbonation. Very astringent - feels like your tongue is being stripped. Aftertaste of fruity, boozy malt.

Mmmmm - very nice. Rich and tasty; makes a fantastic sipper. The booze is strong in this one, but doesn't detract from the experience. Now I want another! Add this beer to your must-try list. (1,177 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Given this as a gift in a single bottle for christmas. Poured into a wheat beer glass, pours deep cloudy orange with a 2-3 finger white head.
From here on out, my review is biased; I was given this because I like eisbocks, but the giver didn't realize it was a weizen-eisbock. I'm sure this is a world-class beer as the Bros have said, but wheat beers are NOT my thing.
The smell disgusts me entirely, almost to the point of throwing up. That yeasty, wheaty aroma which I know is a sign of a great wheat beer, makes me sick. It smells like an old peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me.
The taste isn't much better; if I ignore the smell I can stomach it, but barely. It's just a yeasty mess in my mouth. Again, I know it's an excellent beer, but I really do not like the style.
Mouthfeel was good, relatively full-bodied as wheat beers are wont to be. Unfortunately for me, the full mouthfeel only exacerbated my gustatory distress.
Overall, I feel like I'm not being fair to this beer. It's obvious it's an excellent beer, but wheat beers in general are not my thing. (1,074 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

I have had many an Aventinus in my day, but never an Aventinus Eisbock. I am not sure why I have overlooked it thusfar, but the beer is delicious, and I will certainly put it in my rotation.

A – A silky pour of dark mahogany, no foam.

S – Cinnamon raisin toast, funky sweetness, soft sherry mustiness dominate the olfactory.

T – Delicious. With the taste of a rich steak w/ burgundy mushrooms. Slightly salty or savory or rich. Malt is subdued. The whole taste is so cohesive that it is hard to separate the elements.

M – Viscous, velvety soft. I don’t like to use the term chewy for beverages, unless we are talking about a poorly made smoothie. So I will refrain from glossing it with the aforementioned attribute.

D – Very strong, so not a daily drinker, but it is still a delicious desert wine, errr… Eisbock. (861 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

bottle poured into a third liter mug. pours caramel brown with a cloudy character and a couple fingers of off white creamy head.

mildly fruity in the nose, with caramel malts and fruit notes of apple and grape. very pleasant in its aroma.

taste is more of the same, with a very smooth profile and a finish of subtle dark fruits and malts. excellent.

mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a medium to full bodied profile.

drinkability is excellent. although the brew has a decently heavy body, it works to its advantage. wonderfuly complex with an excellent profile in aroma and taste. prost! (594 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours an inviting dark brow, dark enough to reject light, with a modest one finger near white head. The head recedes but never leaves, coating the top of the beer with a slowly swirling layer of tiny bubbles. The smell is intense and complex, with layers of sweet molasses and dark brown sugar followed by raisins and plum, hints of toffee, and maybe a touch of black currant. Taste is equally intense and offers similar flavors including, oddly, coca cola. Alcohol is forward and present but doesn't distract. Mouthfeel is influenced by the warm alcohol, but not dominated by it. Fine bubbles tickle the tongue while a medium thick consistency coats nicely. Based upon the aroma, I expected this to be a touch too sweet for real drinkability, but while it is indeed sweet it never gets cloying and if not for the somewhat scary 12 percent I would be glad to have another. Highly recommended... (894 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer poured a dark but bright cherry amber with a nice film of pale white head.

Smells of chocolate pudding, wheat germ, rhubarb and cherry with a slight dry oak that is coupled to an delightful aromatic alcohol.

Tastes of smooth whole wheat and rye with some dark cherry. There’s also a dry tingly alcohol paired with a wet, sappy oak. The chocolate pudding comes back in the finish.

The mouth feel is medium bodied, silky and dense with a tingly but sparse micro-carbonation.

This one’s delicious and really well done. The alcohol is wonderfully mild making this extremely easy to drink. (609 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Not long ago I ran across the name of this brew in some beer periodical, and it became lodged in my brain like some mediocre tune on the radio. When I made my most recent reconnaissance trip to Sam's Quik Stop I noticed it staring at me from the third shelf of the German section, and I new it had to go home with me.

I was surprised at the very dark color of this one (dark, but not black), and the big-bubbled, short-lived head was non-existent for nearly the entire session. The smell is huge; malt character is huge, and the smell of dark, ripe fruit is just amazing. And the alcohol this beast emits just in the nose is enough to make one a bit dizzy. Really over the top! The taste is just as impressive. The front is sweet, while the center is malty and fruity; the finish is malty and full of alcohol. Not really of the fusel variety, but plenty, nonetheless. I'm sure hops were present, but you wouldn't know it from the taste. There's no bitterness to speak of, anywhere. It is a full-bodied wheat beer with no punches pulled in flavor, body, or strength. Carbonation is a bit on the low side. Simply put, it's one of the most interesting and pleasurable beers I have ever sampled.

This would be best served in a snifter.

(I hope my marks aren't too high for the style. Admittedly, I don't have any other experience with Eisbocks so I may be a little over-generous.) (1,379 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: solid dark brown 330mL bottle with a stylish German-style label. Has me expecting something high quality.

Appearance: very dark amber brown in colour with a limited, fine carbonation just visible. A two-finger head drops quickly to a solid, creamy one-finger with decent retention. Looks good!

Aroma: carries some definite dark wheat aromas - there are the usual bananas and cloves, but with an undercurrent of sweet malts, molasses and dark cherry.

Taste: there are the usual bananas and cloves, but with an undercurrent of sweet malts, molasses and dark cherry. A wonderfully rich and complex beer.

Aftertaste: a touch of sherry accompanies some warming alcohol that fills the mouth nicely.

Mouth feel: rich, velvety and smooth, with a low carbonation. Slides down easy - very nice!

Overall: this is an exceptional German dark wheat ale - smooth in texture with a complexity I haven't seen before in a dark wheat. Top notch! (940 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Dark, amber body with a dense, off-white head.

S- Banana bread, raisins, molasses, caramel and toffee; not much of an alcohol aroma.

T- Bit of clove spice up front followed by lots of sweet flavors like molasses and toffee, some phenols are present as is a slight alcohol presence. Very complex overall; hops try to come though, but aren't too noticeable.

M- Thick, syrupy feel with a nice carbonation towards the finish.

D- Really complex beer; I read that this is just a higher ABV version of Aventinus weizenbock, but I must say I don't agree. The complexity is awesome; making for a really enjoyable beer. (616 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-a hazy dark brown with red highlights and a nice creamy head that leaves a nice layer on top

S-malty, dark fruits, mild ester smell also

T-Very similar to the smell, lots of dark fruit, malt, spicy cloves, banana sweetness. Alcohol warming hits after a few sips

M-medium carbonation and a very nice medium body

D-really great, the 12% abv is not obvious, will definitely get again (386 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pouring a nice thick head in my tulip gives the Eisbock a robust look. The lacing on the sides is minimal, but the head retains a creamy foam that allows the smell to liven up the joint.

S: One of my favorite parts of this beer is the aroma. Heavy notes of banana, fig, malt, and even a slight nudge of pineapple create a complex and inviting panoply of olfactory experiences. There's a reason this thing gets so much love.

T: Candied plums, slightly roasted figs, clove, and cinnamon notes all colide in a beautiful collage of flavor. The malts provide a rich texture alongside the alcohol notes. Taking a breath allows the spices to tickle the tongue.

M: Medium-bodied, the leaves a slight aftertaste and goes down way too smoothly.

O: There's a reason this is one of my all-time faves. World-class, this beer is. (824 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

S:
very similar to the Tap6 with dark fruits coming through more
T:
-plums,raisins,dates come through heavy
-slight notes of banana and chocolate
F:
For a 12%er not that boozy
O:
Fantastic all around (199 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

When pouring from the bottle it is thick, lots of bubbly head, with a medium brown color.
This beer has tons and tons of different smells - (fruit, flower, hops, cloves, and very well rounded). All of the smells turn into tastes when you drink it. There are aftertastes of the alcohol and a smoothness feel. Definitely have another to drink. (341 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This offering from Schneider pours a dark purple with deep brown highlights leaving a yeasty body and a thin lacey head that disappears. The aroma is very fruity, sweet, dark pitted fruit, candy, wheat, yeasty deliciousness.

Whoa the taste is fantastic, sweet, syrupy, brisk carbonation, boozey but not overwhelming. The beer is slightly balanced by some faint hop essence but this is hard core wheat, fruit, honey, etc. Beautiful beer very tasty and inviting. And at 12% the alcohol is barely present. (503 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I like this beer ALOT. Its amazing that it can have such a high alcohol content and not taste like it. Pours dark with a decent head and when you smell it you know you are in for a treat. It does have more kick than the regular Aventinus, but I think I like this one better. I guess I will find out for sure when I sit down and rate it one of these days.

I had to wait for almost 6 months to get a case of this stuff from my local store and it was worth the wait. The best part about buying in quantity is being able to drink 2 in a row. (540 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown, even kind of purple with a slightly off white head.

The smell is strong on the dark fruits, plums and rasins, really strong.

The taste is much like the smell, big on the dark fruits, there is a bit of alcohol on the finish but not too much considering the abv.

The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, the carbonation is medium.

I really enjoyed this beer, and if you enjoy a dark fruit sipper I'd recommend this. There is a bit of alcohol on the flavour but it complements the taste. (508 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black, with a slight fogginess / murkiness. The head is a work of art, with amazingly consistent tiny beige bubbles, almost all the exact same size. Thick and luscious, it lasts for most of the slowly-sipped glass. The lacing down the glass is remarkably strong for the ABV, but is not particularly thick. Close to perfect in appearance, but let down by the lack of clarity and some small particulate matter.

Aroma: Wow, this is amazing. Sweet dark fruits (plums, cherries, dates, figs, currants) initially, mixed with some sweet malt and honey. Slight unfermented wort aroma appears, and some caramelised sticky-bun type notes.

Taste: Very interesting and complex. There was a lot going on here, so I will do my best to describe. The same dark fruit in the aroma makes an appearance, but the taste is almost as if they were stewed and candied. Very smooth malt and caramel, with rich juicy Port / Torquay aspects as well. Honey, brandy, grape skins, and a herbal aspect in the aftertaste. Warmth from the alcohol helps boost the aftertaste, and is quite effective at helping to offset the sweetness. The bitterness from the hops was extremely well balanced, and really helped prevent this beer from being too heavy and overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with medium-low carbonation. Thick and rich, but never heavy. Unexpectedly pleasant drying aftertaste for a beer this big (I assume from the high ABV). If I had to pick any flaw, maybe a little astringent and a little too dry (but I am grasping at straws here).

Overall: This is probably the best beer that I have had in a long, long time. It is extremely satisfying, amazingly balanced, and just so drinkable. It is something that can truly be appreciated sip-by-sip, like a fine wine or liqueur. I am interested in seeing how this one does with some age on it.

Bottle Date: Nov 2012 (1,894 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Had at the Brickskeller, at the hands of a server who rates this beer among his favorites; beautiful presentation

A: wheat-based doppelbock; dark brown, very cloudy; amazing dark brown, 4-finger head
S: fruity, smell of double fermentation
T: amazing cherry-laced; sweet waves of cherry-banana overtones; the entire thing is quite stellar; this was my first eisbock, and it certainly won't be my last

I can see why this beer would be rated as someone's personal favorite. (473 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a ruby-hued brown with a very lively, fizzy tan head. This bubbles and disappears within 30 seconds, leaving a very thin ring. Easily refreshed to a thin layer.

S - Banana, cocoa, bubblegum, clove, dried dark fruits, some plasticy/medicinal phenols tucked at the back, anise. Very, very nice.

T - Initial mouthful of the dark fruits, with the chocolate then bursting through. Banana and clove then take over, but the dark fruit remains in the background. Bubblegum slides through at the end, which is surprisingly dry. Aftertaste is leather/tobacco with a sweet hint of the dark fruit. Partway through the beer there's a pleasant tingle of alcohol warmth that lingers on the roof of the mouth and back of the lips and certainly isn't as punchy as the strength would suggest. Amazingly well crafted.

D - Thick, syrupy body with soft, but cleansing carbonation.

M - Very impressive beer. Incredibly easy to sip given the strength. (942 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew has no head, is a cloudy, murky brown color, with huge chunks of yeast floating about. Lovely bubblegum, wheat scent. Syrupy mouthfeel, loads of sweet malt, wheat flavors. Alcohol bite noticeable. Bubblegum flavors, banana, cloves. This is an intense beer. (266 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%

I purchased this before I learned of Michael Jackson's passing earlier today. I am reviewing this in memory of Michael Jackson, Beer Hunter.
Poured cool into a La fin du Monde tulip.

A - Pours a deep caramel, almost opaque brown w/ a 1.5 inch tan head. The head decends rapidly and becomes a thin ring that creates an almost transparent lace effect.

S - A rich caramel and raisin with a touch of spice and brown sugar. Very intense and slightly rum-like w/ a ripe banana and date note.

M - A smooth, sweet feel like rum raisin bread. Dry and mildly boozy feel, the ale/lager mix gives a very bold, yet smooth character w/ light carbonation.

T - Luscious immensely rich and pleasing malt like honeyed wheat one moment and a dark smooth bock the next. A splendid taste of roasted malt without any harsh flavors. Caramel and maple notes mix with full-on fruit. Ripe banana, fig, cherry and raisin w/ a cinnamon and brown sugar tinge. The subtleties of wood and touches of rum in its essence teeter back and forth while they slowly envelope the taste buds. Tastes of spiced apple and clove w/ a warming bock character that is unmatched criss-cross each other. A sugary flavor persists with an intensity of high abv, which translates into a very complex beer.

D - A unique wheat/bock blend to say the least. This is chock full of intense bombastic taste while still containing a good amount of finesse.
I consider it a great example of German brewing excellence and quality. A bit strong to be a 5 in drinkability for me, but it won me over. Such a great beer that was just another in a list of many that Michael Jackson promoted. The drinkability is great, a wonderful beer that is important traditionally as well flavor wise IMO. (1,731 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%

Had the other Aventinus brew, so here goes the other one. This one pours a dark ruby with a carbonated head the fizzes at the beginning before settling into a ring around the glass. Smell is a replica of a hefe weizen, bananas, gum and honey dominate the aromas, though the smell is a lot thicker.

As soon as the beer hits your mouth, you know it's not a hefe. Syrupy thick with a big peppery kick. Plums, prunes and bananas dominate the taste. Alcohol kicks you in the teeth and warms you on the way down. Judging from the description, it tastes exactly as you would assume: it's a what bock on steroids. You can feel 12 percent, but not in an undesirable sort of way.

This is totally different from the other eisbock (Kulmbacher) I have tried, which I don't think was made with wheat. But I may be wrong. This is a great and unique beer. (845 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11%

I wanted to get this one for awhile, but only saw it recently for the first time. Pours a cloudy brown color with high carbonation and a thin lace of head around the edges of the glass. The high alcohol content is definitely present in the smell and as sweet malty and a little bit fruity aromas. The taste is superb, malty slightly bitter and wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth with the alcohol leaving tingly feeling. I would of liked to see a little more head, but it is an extremely well balanced beer, that is hard to improve on. This is my first eisbock review a I'll be looking out for more in the future. (621 characters)

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH