Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Dark with a light and airy head that dissapated quickly.

Aroma: Bready, slightly sweet and molasses-y. Rich and deep. I think the aroma was my favorite part of this beer!

Taste/Body: Molasses flavor up front with prevalent hops. Deep, rich and spicy with a kicky tang. Thick mouthfeel.

Aftertaste: Moderate bitterness and tang.

Overall: Very delicious and lush with lots of depth and layers of flavor. Again, I really liked the aroma.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Alright, this is my first eisbock ever. I was expecting similarities to the other offerings from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn. Nope.

500mL into a tulip, this beer pours as plum-brown with a uniform opacity of color. Foam is rich and copious. Smell reminds me of malt, plums, molasses / demerara sugar, and soy sauce (it would make an interesting marinate for fish)

Into the pie hole: the first two characteristics noted were sweetness and richness. There are syrup-like qualities to this beer. It is intense and heavy. To my tastes this beer should be matched with food: chinese cuisine or deep fried/battered fish would pair nicely.

Overall, an excellent beer, with the 12% ABV not immediately apparent.

3.37/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Murky and dark, with a sweet tea appearance. No head at all, even when poured vigorously...only a very thin ring of tiny white bubbles. No lacing.

S: Alcohol is in the forefront, with a slightly fruity smell. It's a bit like raisins, or more accurately raisin bread...it has a slightly sweet smell that you get when cooking raisin bread.

T: The flavors are very similar to the scent. It has a huge fruity flavor up front, with some bread-like aftertaste. No bitterness, just lots of sweetness. I don't taste much alcohol. Very malty.

M: The mouthfeel is very very full. It is unquestionably a sipper. It has a pretty sharp bite.

O: I like this beer, especially for the fact that it is 12% and it masks the alcohol relatively well. You can still tell it is there, but it still tastes like a beer. There were only a few downsides, where I thought it was a bit too fruity and I would have liked more head...even though it's hard for a high alcohol beer to have a decent head, this didn't have one at all.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Given this as a gift in a single bottle for christmas. Poured into a wheat beer glass, pours deep cloudy orange with a 2-3 finger white head.
From here on out, my review is biased; I was given this because I like eisbocks, but the giver didn't realize it was a weizen-eisbock. I'm sure this is a world-class beer as the Bros have said, but wheat beers are NOT my thing.
The smell disgusts me entirely, almost to the point of throwing up. That yeasty, wheaty aroma which I know is a sign of a great wheat beer, makes me sick. It smells like an old peanut butter and jelly sandwich to me.
The taste isn't much better; if I ignore the smell I can stomach it, but barely. It's just a yeasty mess in my mouth. Again, I know it's an excellent beer, but I really do not like the style.
Mouthfeel was good, relatively full-bodied as wheat beers are wont to be. Unfortunately for me, the full mouthfeel only exacerbated my gustatory distress.
Overall, I feel like I'm not being fair to this beer. It's obvious it's an excellent beer, but wheat beers in general are not my thing.

Purplish burgundy with off-white head that fades. Aroma of dark wheat, prunes, grapes, booze. Tastes of prunes, grapes, dark wheat, medicinal flavor, booze, minor apricots. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slick mouthfeel. Pretty tame for 12% ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
12% ABV, Bottle Number: 2006 10717

**2006 Bottle Review**

I've been hanging onto this for a number of years. Christmas seemed a fitting occasion to crack it open!

A - With any beer of this age and alcohol percentage, it's no surprise it pours without a head and very little carbonation for that matter. Still and gorgeous, I left the sediment resting in the bottle...for now. Aventinus is a clear deep tawny mahogany color with ruby highlights.

S - Subtle notes of soft wheat, sticky caramel, and ruby port-soaked raisin escape this low-key beer until it's swirled when disaster strikes! Good bye smoothness, hello soy sauce. Thankfully it hasn't reached that "Triple Bock" stage yet.

T - Malty depth consumes this beer from first sip as toasted wheat bread drizzled with melted caramel and clover honey marries the yeast's dark fruitiness. Layers of complexity unfold with sangria-soaked raisin, red grape, and fig newton notes.

M - Carbonation is faint giving this beer a flat, though not disruptively so, feel that aids it's already smooth body and warming alcohol finish. This beer goes to show how tacking a few years on a high alcohol beer can really smooth it out.

O - Aventinus Weizen Eisbock might be a high alcohol beer but this one is showing significant signs of age leading me to believe I waited a little too long to crack this precious beer open. Its thick maltiness creates a beautiful marriage with the yeast esters but peeking notes of soy sauce disrupt the flow. 2006 in 2012 is good but not as wonderful as it could be.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This is my first Eisbock. Looking forward to it- the only thing I know about Eisbocks are from the BJCP guidelines. Its Christmas Eve, the kids are in bed, the wife is wrapping gifts, so I think this is a great time to review this beer!

The appearance is a somewhat opaque/translucent dark brown with an off-white head that is gathering at the sides of the pour. Almost stout or porter like until you hold it up to the light. Smells of dried dark fruits like raisins or plums, very malty and slight alcohol. Tastes sweet, dried fruits, toasted malt, some alcohol evident, and a dry crisp finish. This is an intense beer with many developed flavors, and I find it interesting that hop flavors are not one of them. This may be the antithesis of an American Barleywine. Mouthfeel is full, and low carbonation. This one is a sipper, and is developing more of a flavor profile as it warms.

From what I understand, this is a difficult and time consuming beer to make. First it must be brewed to a higher strength, then frozen to concentrate, then lagered for a long period of time. This one is a nice alternative to other high strength, highly hopped ales like American Barleywines, Russian Imperial Stouts and Imperial IPAs. Highly recommeded-just to expand the palate perspective! Merry Christmas!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH