Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,237 | Reviews: 1,096

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Schneider's Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock last week for $4.59 at The Lager Mill. I have never tried this style before, so I went to the store to see if they had any I wound up with this one, the only Eisbock they had, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage Bottle #12966. Poured from a brown 11.2oz skinny bottle.

A- The label looks nice the shiny silver looks good against the purple background and it catches the eye. It poured a very dark muddy brown color that took on some nice mahogany hues when held to the light with barley a fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that eventually faded to nothing leave no lacing behind and noticeable alcohol legs. This is good looking for the style, I really liked the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that takes on some brown sugar and molasses like aroma followed by loads of malts that impart some bready, caramel, and wheat like aromas. After that comes the fruits which are mainly dark fruits with plum and raisins sticking out the most with some apple cider and a slight banana like aroma coming through. Towards the end I get a slight bit of spicy yeast with some cloves coming through and there is a noticeable alcohol aroma. This beer had a very good aroma, the fruits were nice and fairly complex.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, it starts of with a high amount of sweetness that impart a slight molasses flavor followed by loads of malts that impart a bready, caramel, and wheat flavors. Up next comes the fruits which are pretty much dominate by the dark fruits with some raisins, plums and concord grapes coming through along with a slight hint of banana. On the finish there's a light amount of spicy yeast with cloves sticking out the most followed by a pretty strong alcohol flavor that is pretty warming and it seems to blend with a lighter amount medium bitterness with a sweet and boozy dark fruit aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but the alcohol was a little to harsh and could have been hidden better.

M- Not so smooth, warming, chewy, on the fuller side being medium bodied, with a very low amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel seems to be true to style, it was nice.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of the style, but since this is my first one I'm mainly going off of how BA describes the style, and it seems to pretty similar to that. This beer didn't have the greatest drinkability, it's for sure a sipper, but the flavors did do a good job at holding my attention but one bottles is just the right amount, no way I would anymore than that, it would get too sweet and boozy. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, It was very good and full of nice fruity aromas that were pretty pleasing and it had just enough wheat in it. What I liked the least about this beer was how boozy it was, I know it's !2% but the alcohol seems a little harsh to me and I think it could have hidden better. I might buy this beer again for special occasion, but I don't see my getting it again in the near future, but I would I feel like it's worth trying, I think wine lovers would really like this. All in all I wasn't really impressed with this beer, but I wasn't disappointed either, I just think that that alcohol could have been hidden a little better and that really hurt the drinkability, but the other than that the flavors and aromas were pretty nice. This is my second beer from this brewery and I for sure like the Wiezenbock the most and I would like to try more of their beers and I will be on the look out for more examples of this style. It's a nice sipper, but I wouldn't call it a favorite.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

very little foam on top, vary dark. the foam that is present slides slowly down the side when tilted and is a little thick.
smell is thick and malty; almost a sweet kind of vinegar in there?
a little bitter fruit-y, a little almost over-ripe fruit-y to the point of a slight vinegar. a little bit like a wine, the alcohol comes through in the nose, and then again on the back of the tongue. have to keep it cool or i bet the alcohol will run rampant over the taste. medium to thick feel on the tongue and overall a decent brew considering it's 12%. reading over others' reviews the 'ripe cherries' description hits it on the head. such a difference in the german/austrian versio of high abv brews versus the belgians'.... i've had it before, i'll have it again, but it's not tops on my list for the higher abv taste. but they did do a great job on it....

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.11/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: 12 oz bottle.
Glass: Snifter
Price: $5
From: Plum Market in Ann Arbor, MI

Appearance: Dark dark brown almost black. opaque. a finger of off-white and foamy head. fades quickly to nothing. pretty good looking beer

Smell: dark fruits. some wheat and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Wheat, Dark fruits and alcohol. One drink at a time tastes pretty damn good, but if you take back to back sips and alcohol takes over the taste. I wish it were a tad more drinkable

Mouthfeel: Heavy, a bit chewy. low carbonation. warming sensation is certainly present.

Overall: very good beer but the alcohol is a bit overpowering. I like a strong alcohol presence in my strong beers but this one takes over the taste.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH