Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,121 | Hads: 2,424
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Miller Lite fluted glass (give me a break, I don't have a proper glassware collection yet). Bottle number says 11085 with a date of 2005.

A - Mahogany, reddish-brown with highlights of gold on the rims. A very mysterious, yet appealing-looking beer.

S OK I've realized I have a bad sense of smell, but this one smells like ripe fruit, and I can definitely detect the slight banana smell that others have spoken of.

T Wow, this part is definitely noteworty! Raisins, vanilla, dark fruits, even a little bit of chocolate. Hold on while I take another sip...Some spice at the end, mint and pepper, maybe sage, or is that my hippie roommate?

M Syrupy and creamy, yet some carbonation in there, a fine and delicate balance, like the Cold War "balance of terror"

D Insidiously hides the towering ABV, I would drink several of these in a night before I start being a little too honest with my friends, and only then realize the predicament I was in.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have not had the regular Aventinus, but I wanted to try an Eisbock.

A - This beer pours a dark, dark brown. Nice three finger head in my tulip glass that fades over a few minutes. As it warms, the lacing fades to nothing, which is expected at this ABV.

S - Mmm... Wheat, banana, booze... It smells like a banana split with whipped cream.

T & M - It tastes like a banana split with carbonation - and alcohol. It is sweet up front and spicy and hot at the finish. If there are hops, I am missing them, but the spices work just fine in their absence. The creamy mouthfeel is a bonus. This is a world class beer for sure.

D - Whoa - where did this beer go? I want more, but one is probably a good number for this one.

4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz bottle. Bottle number 2007/13066

Appearance: Verydark, opaque brown. 2 fingers off white head, settles slowly.

Smell: Very sweet. Malty, yeasty. Aromas of caramel, raisins or figs.

Taste: Starts sweet then alcohol becomes very apparent. Spicy again with hints of raisons or figs.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Watered down syrupy almost like a flat soda. Not as thick as I was expecting .

Drinkability: One in a sitting is enough for me. Very rich.

3.24/5  rDev -22.9%

A: An aggressive pour yeilds a small white head and a cloudy dark brown body. The head quickly fades to a thin ring around the outside of the glass leaving no lacing behind.

S: Smells of sweet overripe dark fruits. Strong notes of clove and alcohol, also some banana in there.

T: Alcohol is quite present in this one, as expected at 12%. Lingering tastes are of clove and spices. Big malty character and a bit sweet, almost syrupy.

M: Not much carbonation as I would like, but it is quite smooth and goes down easy.

D: Although this beer is quite smooth, it has some very strong flavors that I'm not enjoying all that much. It's not a bad beer, just not to my liking.

3.89/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearence - Murky brown, really dark, but not black like a stout, kinda like a deep chestnut color. Really no head to this, it dissipates so fast and leaves just a foam ring along the glass.

Smell - Smell is amazing, brown sugar, dark ripe fruit, caramel, and hints of alcohol. Quite possibly one of the best beers I have smelled.

Taste - Taste is ok, I guess after smelling it I had hoped it would taste like that, but this tastes like a really strong Weizenbock, which I guess in essence thats what it is. Would have ranked higher if it tasted just like it smelled.

Mouthfeel - Thick, very rich, a slight tingle from either the carbonation or alcohol, I cant tell which.

Drinkability - Definitly not a session beer, has a pretty high alcohol content and rich taste so its a sipper. I dunno as I would buy another, I have had a couple other eisbocks I have enjoyed more at a lower price.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

bought and drank in cambridge, ma, november '09.

pours a dark, dark brown, just short of black opaque from the side, but showing a light chocolate brown when held up to the light. off white head, medium dense, dies quick, but not that quick considering 12%.

smells of dark fruits with a touch of alcohol presence. a little earthiness is present, balanced with malty sweetness

taste is excellent - strong bock, rich dark fruits, just a bit yeasty and just a bit of alcohol presence on the end. just what i would expect from a strong wheat, very impressive.

decently carbonated, exceptionally smooth mouthfeel, decently thick

12% is barely noticeable - i'd have rated it ~6% by taste alone. tastes great. strong kick is not for guzzling, but could sip this all night.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

I have seen this beer sitting on our beer shelves for quite some time, finally decided to pick one up.

A: It pours a cloudy/hazy dark brown. I could actually see the cloudy'ness as I poured it. The head was nice off tan, which faded quickly.

S: Sweet and malty smell, I can't get super soft bananas out of my nostrils, maybe a very slight boozy note.

T: I have to say this is very well balanced. At 12% ABV I expected a very overpowering alcohol quality, not so! It taste a lot of the soft bananas, with light brown sugar. There are some slight dark fruits mixed in as well, plum and cherries.

M/D: The body is nice and rich, the carbonation is spot on. The drinkability is only limited by your capacity to handle 12% beer for an entire evening...

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours almost completely opaque black into the glass. Had a smallish head with tiny bubbles of carbonation, but I just kept noticing how dark it was.

Very big mouth feel with this this one. Flavors just explode; sweet, caramel malt, spicy clove, a bit of alcohol presence, too.

I finished this beer and enjoyed it to the end, but it had a pretty strong and lingering effect on me well after it was gone. Approach this one with respect.

APPEARANCE - Dark, opaque, 2-finger head that dissipates. Foamy. A little lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Fruits, grass, sweet.

TASTE - Malts, yeast, sweet, nutty.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Thick, little carbonation, smooth, creamy, syrupy.

VALUE - $6.49 for 11.2 oz - good for an import.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - A likable dark beer. Not overly boozy. Goes down nice.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass with a nice tan 1 inch head.
Mollasses & black licorice, I can taste the alcohol on the trail end of a sip, 3/4ths through and I can feel it.
Toasted and caramel malts with molasses and black licorice the primary tastes.

This is a good Eisbock no doubt, but my money is spent on the Kulmbacher Eisbock though

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Smells spicy, with dark fruits. Picking up some alcohol that lightly burns my nostrils. Taste is a little more impressive. Sweet plums, spices, figs, brown sugar, yeast, cola, and wheaty bread. Quite a bit going on here.

Alcohol is not as evident in the taste as the smell. Overall the flavor gets a little overwhelming after a while, which hurts the drinkability. However, mouthfeel seems perfect. Still amazed how much the 12% is supressed.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

pours finger and a half of mocha colour head, thick and foamy with good retention. Fully cloudy dark off-brown colour, almost grey brown.

wow! aroma is pungent! salty leather and beef jerky dominate. soy and miso scents, tarry. totally confusing and totally intriguing.

Holy shit, this is nuts! super rich and sweet dried fruits, dates, dried prunes, that belgian dubbel candy sugar hit. the weize is present with the fruitiness, rotten bananas for sure. caramelized sugar ala crem brule. burnt finish. Boose is super high at 12 ABV and alcohol comes through as brandy like, obvious but not offending.

BIg body and super creamy like a hefe. small bubbles but bright tingly carbonation.

Damn, saw that this got great reviews but did not expect much. not sure why because this is a beautiful and challenging beer. even my burps are tasting good! Have to say the schneider sons never made my favourtie hefe but this beer is exceptional. Great and wild flavours that balance well. sweet but as in fermenting and rotting fruit sweet, not just sugar sweet. Only drawback i find is for me the sweetness is on the very high end. but still, loving this one till the end.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

L- Light to dark brown body with little to no head. Huge lacing

S- Alcohol, Grape, Lots of dark ester, sugar sweetness

T- This taste a lot like a ruby port with lots of grape, low carbonation, and it does have some complexity as the beer warms and the palate adjusts.

F- Drinks with a nice alcholol sting

D- (non-session) I would enjoy having this beer anytime. It is balanced and eisbocks are what helped get me into the game of craft beer. Mmm such nice grape flavors and complexities. Seek out if you have not tried it.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

I'm a huge fan of the original Aventinus so when I first heard about this brew (back in the late 90's?) I couldn't wait to try it. I ordered some of the striped bottles back then and liked them a lot. Later, this brew finally arrived where I lived so I bought some more. I still thought it was good, but not as good as the regular Aventinus. I bought some more bottles on a few more occasions over the years, but they seemed to be hit-and-miss. (I think some of the bottles were old.) However, about a year ago, I had some of this eisbock on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta and loved it. That restored my faith in this brew. Recently, I bought another bottle to try. I see that my bottle says 2007 on it. That made me a little nervous about it still having a fresh taste, but thankfully I'm enjoying this bottle quite a bit. It pours an unattractive, murky brown with little head. The aroma is a mix of classic weizen, but with some "stink" to it. I can't quite place my finger on what the stink is. Maybe it's just a phenolic that's a little bit out of control? Thankfully, the taste is better than the appearance and aroma. It tastes a lot like the regular Aventinus, but with more concentrations of everything. The alcohol seems to be well-hidden. Overall, I like this bottled brew, but I still think the regular Aventinus is easily superior. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to try some draft Aventinus Eisbock again in the future. It's been a little too long to remember for sure, but I think that version was better than this bottled version.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a weizen - with the sediment swirled and included. Light, tawny lacing with staying power atop a dark brown - foggy body.

To the nose, grains are there - but the underlying theme is spiciness and wet earth.

In the mouth, this is one smooth beer. You are hit with layer after layer of sweet malts and grains. Very forthright from the beginning. This is no lightweight. The spices from the nose are there - but do not overpower the wonderful malts. There is a slight hop character that just doesn't make it past the malts.

The feel here is heavy and full - very substantial in the mouth. It's big alcohol and you know it - but not beyond the drinkability stage. It finishes still sweet - but very organic and not hard at all.

Musings: This beer will kick your ass. It is a delicious malt powerlode that will knock you out. Highly recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked this up, based on the recommendations of the authors of The Naked Pint. So glad I tried it, outstanding beer. Smooth, warm and intense all at the same time. Appearance: dark brown, reddish, very little head or lacing. Feel: almost syrupy and thick, maybe slightly viscous but the alcohol taste pushes through so it's not overly sickly sweet. Taste: cloves, bananas, malt, dark fruits, definitely can taste the alcohol but not in an obnoxious way. Smell: bananas, cloves, dark fruit. Drinkability: I probably wouldn't want more than one of these in a setting, due to the high alcohol content but I'll definitely have an occasional one for a special treat.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap."

Pours a deep amber with hints of purple. Light head with very little retention.

S: Nose is light with notes of nut bread, banana, plum, rasin

T: Rich with a strong alcohol finsh. Sweet plum and rasin with hints of dried fruit.

MF: Smooth with plenty of carbonation. The finish is a bit raw with alcohol. Could be because I served this in a shaker glass ... d'oh!

D: Great stuff, though I prefer the subtler Weizenbocks. Great flavor, though I don't think I could/should drink more than one of these in one sitting. It's 12% abv and there is no hidding it. All in all though an all around good beer. Try it for yourself!

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle number 2009 030388

A - Extremely murky dark brown with a red hue in the corners. The final yeast-filled pour produced a pretty nice, dark tan head, but that's receding pretty fast. It ended up forming a cap that stuck around for a good 10-15 minutes.

S - From over a foot away I'm getting a ton of different aromas. So far there has been a pungent dark fruit and banana, but now I'm getting chocolate. Upfront is pretty much the same, but the malt display is a lot more complex, with lots of bready notes mixed in.

T - Not to sound redundant, but if you've had regular Aventinus before, just picture what you think this would taste like and you're probably in the ballpark. Really pungent pumpernickel bready/fruity richness upfront with banana and spicy yeast flavors, along with some backing caramelized malts. There is a fair amount of heat from the alcohol, but I'm not getting any fusel alcohols, which is a plus.

MF - Very thick, slightly syrupy body with ample carbonation, though not on the level of regular Aventinus. It seems appropriate, but it's not as fun as other weizens.

D - I don't really know how to call this part. This is a one and done beer, meant for sipping. It's a huge beer, but handles itself well enough, I think.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a tall, slim mug (more of a stang with a handle rather than a mug really) with a thin 1/4" light tan fizzy head with thin lacing that dissipated quickly. Carbonation was quite lively and the body was a crystal clear very dark brown, nearly black with no discernable highlights.

AROMA: Malts and a very slight alcohol with just a faint hint of hops (which may have been in my mind rather than my nose). Malts were mainly caramel and light honey with light notes of spices, banana, fig and wine grapes.

TASTE: Great, rich malt balanced with a mild alcohol tang. Almost no hops taste at all -- just enough to keep the malts from being overbearing. Malt flavors were roasted wheat, caramel, honey, and a very slight chocolate flavor. There were significant fruity esters including a hint of anise, a light flavor of banana, cinnamon, clove, dark cherry, fig, raisin, and a light spiciness, together with a modest taste of port. Delicious, pleasurable, refreshing and complex would be a good description of the overall taste.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodies with lively carbonation; very smooth with a healthy alcohol flavor that doesn't overpower but produces a very nice hotness. Body lacing is thin and dissipates quickly The initial flavor was a heavy, complex, spicy sweetness which led to a short finish, again with a spicy sweetness, and a slight alcohol dryness.

DRINKABILITY: Due to the high alcohol content, I wouldn't have more than one of these at a sitting unless there's a designated driver available, but that one serving will give you a delicious very strong dark lager -- smooth, well balanced, and absolutely delightful to drink.

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

A- Dark amber, a nice caramel color. Clear.
S- A little skunky, but I get some nice caramel and wheaty tones. I'd actually go with a little sulfur and spicy, alcoholic tones. Interesting...
T- A nice sweet caramel flavor. The spice covers up the alcohol bite for a minute, but then the alcohol heat comes through. HELLO 12%!
M- LIght bodied. Lager-like and appropriate.
O- Not my favorite, but that doesn't matter. According to the style I feel like they did a good job covering up a 12% beer while keeping it light bodied. I'd say the nose could use a little clean up with a dry hop, but that would be against the style; I'd do it anyway though.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottled marked as 2004 vintage...

A- Absolutely no head, barely any lacing as it decants which quickly recedes completely. There's tons of sedement in this guy, chunks floating around like a snowglobe. Murky dark brown body.

S- Apple cider, vinegar, the faintest banana.

M - Medium body, bitter, slightly carbonated finish with a tang of its 12% ABV. Leaves the mouth with a thick, creamy residue.

T - The alcohol comes out prominently. "It tastes like liquor," was the only help I got from my girlfriend on this one. There's an undertone of caramel and beneath that, butterscotch that counter the alcoholic tang.

D - Wow. I've had high ABV's before, but nothing like this. Be careful, this is like a couple of Bigfoots kicking you in the pants. Clocking in at a mere 12, this guy mirrors and even mocks the 19% Dogfish Head WWS, in my experience. It's bitter, but overall that should be countered by a cautious sipping.

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into my Pils glass. A rush of carbonation bubbles race to the top but no head remains after the initial pour. Caramel, figs, plums and grapes are the main things I get from the first noseful. The malts dominate the the full body leaving a sweet syrupy and fruity finish. The alcohol only enters into the equation as it hits my stomach. At $3.00 a bottle this is a steal for what's inside.

thanks to miguelmandingo for sharing this bottle with me..

A: Pours a reddish oaky color w/ small thin head.

S: Boozy bananas and spices that I cant pinpoint.

T: bananas, booze, brown sugar, hints of caramel.

M: Good carbonation, medium body, warming from the booze.

D: They don't mask the alcohol, but I guess it's hard to mask 12%. It's still tasty enough to drink a couple.

Overall, the booziness in the taste and mouthfeel was too much for me.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Bottle number 09052.
2001 vintage.

Appearance: Opaque dark-brown with a tan head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell: Sweet fruit aroma (pears, raisins, dates). Can definitely sense the alcohol content as well.

Taste: Dark roasted fruit flavors up front, matching the fruits that were detected in the aroma. Very spicy flavors come in next (including cloves). Finishes with bitter aftertaste (alcohol, hops?). Alcohol makes its presence known and doesn’t try to hide. Every once in a while a wheaty malt flavor asserts itself in the aftertaste too. Nice complex flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Very tingly with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very strong tastes and high carbonation makes this a sipping beer.

I first had a very small taste of this a few months ago at a Friday night BA get-together. Oddly enough, the aroma and taste of that sample were dominated by sweet banana, which I enjoyed a lot.

This bottle, however, was very different. No banana aroma or flavors at all. Very dark and roasted flavors instead. Perhaps this is due to the bottle being aged. But this too is very enjoyable. Nice flavor timeline. Wow can I sense the alcohol in this beer – straight to my head. A real belly warmer. Highly recommended. Too bad I missed this on tap at the extreme beer event at the Blind Tiger. Much thanks to schoolteacher and biruchan for the bottle.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH