Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-EisbockSchneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Eisbock |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,110 | Hads: 2,370
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

I'm a huge fan of the original Aventinus so when I first heard about this brew (back in the late 90's?) I couldn't wait to try it. I ordered some of the striped bottles back then and liked them a lot. Later, this brew finally arrived where I lived so I bought some more. I still thought it was good, but not as good as the regular Aventinus. I bought some more bottles on a few more occasions over the years, but they seemed to be hit-and-miss. (I think some of the bottles were old.) However, about a year ago, I had some of this eisbock on tap at the Brickstore in Atlanta and loved it. That restored my faith in this brew. Recently, I bought another bottle to try. I see that my bottle says 2007 on it. That made me a little nervous about it still having a fresh taste, but thankfully I'm enjoying this bottle quite a bit. It pours an unattractive, murky brown with little head. The aroma is a mix of classic weizen, but with some "stink" to it. I can't quite place my finger on what the stink is. Maybe it's just a phenolic that's a little bit out of control? Thankfully, the taste is better than the appearance and aroma. It tastes a lot like the regular Aventinus, but with more concentrations of everything. The alcohol seems to be well-hidden. Overall, I like this bottled brew, but I still think the regular Aventinus is easily superior. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to try some draft Aventinus Eisbock again in the future. It's been a little too long to remember for sure, but I think that version was better than this bottled version. (1,547 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a weizen - with the sediment swirled and included. Light, tawny lacing with staying power atop a dark brown - foggy body.

To the nose, grains are there - but the underlying theme is spiciness and wet earth.

In the mouth, this is one smooth beer. You are hit with layer after layer of sweet malts and grains. Very forthright from the beginning. This is no lightweight. The spices from the nose are there - but do not overpower the wonderful malts. There is a slight hop character that just doesn't make it past the malts.

The feel here is heavy and full - very substantial in the mouth. It's big alcohol and you know it - but not beyond the drinkability stage. It finishes still sweet - but very organic and not hard at all.

Musings: This beer will kick your ass. It is a delicious malt powerlode that will knock you out. Highly recommended. (880 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Picked this up, based on the recommendations of the authors of The Naked Pint. So glad I tried it, outstanding beer. Smooth, warm and intense all at the same time. Appearance: dark brown, reddish, very little head or lacing. Feel: almost syrupy and thick, maybe slightly viscous but the alcohol taste pushes through so it's not overly sickly sweet. Taste: cloves, bananas, malt, dark fruits, definitely can taste the alcohol but not in an obnoxious way. Smell: bananas, cloves, dark fruit. Drinkability: I probably wouldn't want more than one of these in a setting, due to the high alcohol content but I'll definitely have an occasional one for a special treat. (661 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

This is my first eisbock, or at least the first one I've paid enough attention to to rate, so take this rating with a grain of salt - the record is more for my benefit than it is for the general public's. I'll try other eisbocks in the future and check back on this one to see if my review still holds true. However, I did read up on the qualities an eisbock is *supposed* to have, so I'll follow my normal practice of reviewing relative to the style.

Poured into a Stone RIS tulip glass, this brew emerged a very dark, utterly opaque reddish brown, almost indistinguishable from black. Carbonation was apparent, but there was no head whatsoever - just a thin white lace around the edge.

The odor was somewhere between a very tart cherry and an alkaline battery.

First sip: WOW. The Bros weren't kidding about this style bringing out the alcohol. This brew packs a punch. However, while strong, this is perhaps the first beer that's really helped me understand why the idea of a non-alcoholic beer not only defeats the purpose of drinking for a buzz, but also compromises the purpose of drinking for flavor: alcohol plays a significant role in the tasting enjoyment.

What's odd about this one is that when it first contacts my palate, it feels like something I'm not going to like. Strong alcohol, relatively weak carbonation, a port-like sweetness. But somehow, it works. The alcohol burns my mouth going in, and its big, syrupy body coats my palate with its flavor, but only for a few seconds before its clean finish. And while the alcohol attacks my taste buds, it's softened by a sweetness that's partly fruity and partly carob/caramel.

This is a brew that has little hope of ever making it into the mainstream. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the majority of my friends. It's not something I expect to be drinking on a regular basis, but as a feelgood nightcap kind of beer, it's damn near perfect. I bet it would taste good poured over vanilla ice cream as well.

I'd like to cellar a few of these.

P.S. This is the most drunk I've ever gotten from a 12 oz. bottle, so be forewarned. I emphasize the word "nightcap." (2,146 characters)

Pours a deep amber with hints of purple. Light head with very little retention.

S: Nose is light with notes of nut bread, banana, plum, rasin

T: Rich with a strong alcohol finsh. Sweet plum and rasin with hints of dried fruit.

MF: Smooth with plenty of carbonation. The finish is a bit raw with alcohol. Could be because I served this in a shaker glass ... d'oh!

D: Great stuff, though I prefer the subtler Weizenbocks. Great flavor, though I don't think I could/should drink more than one of these in one sitting. It's 12% abv and there is no hidding it. All in all though an all around good beer. Try it for yourself! (631 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5%

Bottle number 2009 030388

A - Extremely murky dark brown with a red hue in the corners. The final yeast-filled pour produced a pretty nice, dark tan head, but that's receding pretty fast. It ended up forming a cap that stuck around for a good 10-15 minutes.

S - From over a foot away I'm getting a ton of different aromas. So far there has been a pungent dark fruit and banana, but now I'm getting chocolate. Upfront is pretty much the same, but the malt display is a lot more complex, with lots of bready notes mixed in.

T - Not to sound redundant, but if you've had regular Aventinus before, just picture what you think this would taste like and you're probably in the ballpark. Really pungent pumpernickel bready/fruity richness upfront with banana and spicy yeast flavors, along with some backing caramelized malts. There is a fair amount of heat from the alcohol, but I'm not getting any fusel alcohols, which is a plus.

MF - Very thick, slightly syrupy body with ample carbonation, though not on the level of regular Aventinus. It seems appropriate, but it's not as fun as other weizens.

D - I don't really know how to call this part. This is a one and done beer, meant for sipping. It's a huge beer, but handles itself well enough, I think. (1,252 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle into a tall, slim mug (more of a stang with a handle rather than a mug really) with a thin 1/4" light tan fizzy head with thin lacing that dissipated quickly. Carbonation was quite lively and the body was a crystal clear very dark brown, nearly black with no discernable highlights.

AROMA: Malts and a very slight alcohol with just a faint hint of hops (which may have been in my mind rather than my nose). Malts were mainly caramel and light honey with light notes of spices, banana, fig and wine grapes.

TASTE: Great, rich malt balanced with a mild alcohol tang. Almost no hops taste at all -- just enough to keep the malts from being overbearing. Malt flavors were roasted wheat, caramel, honey, and a very slight chocolate flavor. There were significant fruity esters including a hint of anise, a light flavor of banana, cinnamon, clove, dark cherry, fig, raisin, and a light spiciness, together with a modest taste of port. Delicious, pleasurable, refreshing and complex would be a good description of the overall taste.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodies with lively carbonation; very smooth with a healthy alcohol flavor that doesn't overpower but produces a very nice hotness. Body lacing is thin and dissipates quickly The initial flavor was a heavy, complex, spicy sweetness which led to a short finish, again with a spicy sweetness, and a slight alcohol dryness.

DRINKABILITY: Due to the high alcohol content, I wouldn't have more than one of these at a sitting unless there's a designated driver available, but that one serving will give you a delicious very strong dark lager -- smooth, well balanced, and absolutely delightful to drink. (1,687 characters)

APPEARANCE - Dark, opaque, 2-finger head that dissipates. Foamy. A little lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Fruits, grass, sweet.

TASTE - Malts, yeast, sweet, nutty.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Thick, little carbonation, smooth, creamy, syrupy.

VALUE - $6.49 for 11.2 oz - good for an import.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - A likable dark beer. Not overly boozy. Goes down nice. (364 characters)

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottled marked as 2004 vintage...

A- Absolutely no head, barely any lacing as it decants which quickly recedes completely. There's tons of sedement in this guy, chunks floating around like a snowglobe. Murky dark brown body.

S- Apple cider, vinegar, the faintest banana.

M - Medium body, bitter, slightly carbonated finish with a tang of its 12% ABV. Leaves the mouth with a thick, creamy residue.

T - The alcohol comes out prominently. "It tastes like liquor," was the only help I got from my girlfriend on this one. There's an undertone of caramel and beneath that, butterscotch that counter the alcoholic tang.

D - Wow. I've had high ABV's before, but nothing like this. Be careful, this is like a couple of Bigfoots kicking you in the pants. Clocking in at a mere 12, this guy mirrors and even mocks the 19% Dogfish Head WWS, in my experience. It's bitter, but overall that should be countered by a cautious sipping. (950 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Dark amber, a nice caramel color. Clear.
S- A little skunky, but I get some nice caramel and wheaty tones. I'd actually go with a little sulfur and spicy, alcoholic tones. Interesting...
T- A nice sweet caramel flavor. The spice covers up the alcohol bite for a minute, but then the alcohol heat comes through. HELLO 12%!
M- LIght bodied. Lager-like and appropriate.
O- Not my favorite, but that doesn't matter. According to the style I feel like they did a good job covering up a 12% beer while keeping it light bodied. I'd say the nose could use a little clean up with a dry hop, but that would be against the style; I'd do it anyway though. (646 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into my Pils glass. A rush of carbonation bubbles race to the top but no head remains after the initial pour. Caramel, figs, plums and grapes are the main things I get from the first noseful. The malts dominate the the full body leaving a sweet syrupy and fruity finish. The alcohol only enters into the equation as it hits my stomach. At $3.00 a bottle this is a steal for what's inside. (395 characters)

thanks to miguelmandingo for sharing this bottle with me..

A: Pours a reddish oaky color w/ small thin head.

S: Boozy bananas and spices that I cant pinpoint.

T: bananas, booze, brown sugar, hints of caramel.

M: Good carbonation, medium body, warming from the booze.

D: They don't mask the alcohol, but I guess it's hard to mask 12%. It's still tasty enough to drink a couple.

Overall, the booziness in the taste and mouthfeel was too much for me. (456 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Bottle number 09052.
2001 vintage.

Appearance: Opaque dark-brown with a tan head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell: Sweet fruit aroma (pears, raisins, dates). Can definitely sense the alcohol content as well.

Taste: Dark roasted fruit flavors up front, matching the fruits that were detected in the aroma. Very spicy flavors come in next (including cloves). Finishes with bitter aftertaste (alcohol, hops?). Alcohol makes its presence known and doesn’t try to hide. Every once in a while a wheaty malt flavor asserts itself in the aftertaste too. Nice complex flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Very tingly with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very strong tastes and high carbonation makes this a sipping beer.

Comments:

I first had a very small taste of this a few months ago at a Friday night BA get-together. Oddly enough, the aroma and taste of that sample were dominated by sweet banana, which I enjoyed a lot.

This bottle, however, was very different. No banana aroma or flavors at all. Very dark and roasted flavors instead. Perhaps this is due to the bottle being aged. But this too is very enjoyable. Nice flavor timeline. Wow can I sense the alcohol in this beer – straight to my head. A real belly warmer. Highly recommended. Too bad I missed this on tap at the extreme beer event at the Blind Tiger. Much thanks to schoolteacher and biruchan for the bottle. (1,424 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

This is one expensive ass 11.2 oz bottle! Never had an eisbock, so here was my chance...was slighly flustered by the fractured looking yeast cake that made it into my bottle. Was thinking infection...this one must have been in the warehouse a WHILE (the cap left rust dents on the bottle lip)...Anyways, after checking to see if this was normal and I wasn't going to die, damn. This is one heavy beer. I was slightly buzzed earlier in the day, but this brought me right on back. Heavy in every taste imaginable, although not hoppy. Very syrupy and boozy (WHICH is the point!). You can still taste the wheat through it all. Impressive beer, but, I couldn't even finish it. I love me some big beers, and maybe I just didn't want to get drunk, but you wouldn't taste a bud light for 5 hours after having this. Or want to... (820 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: in the bottle 2007 # 01619

Pours a rich caramel cider color, swirled the yeast with the last couple ounces, it was flocculated though, due do the age, into little hard clumps.

Nice head quickly dissipates, good carbonation with little flecks of yeast.

Slight scent of alcohol, banana and cloves and tasty caramel

Strong notes of caramel, banana, and clove, even some prune and raisin and a rich buttery smoothness, very warming, halfway through and the cobwebs have been dusted off my brain. Reminiscent of a warm banana bread with butter rum.

you can taste the alcohol in the finish but it holds a backseat to all the complementary flavors

This was my first beer of the day and I am left with a warm, relaxed euphoria. This is why I love beer.

Due to the alcohol this is no session beer, two of these will have you talkin funny. (853 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%

Very dark brown with much red and little gold. Beige head vanished within seconds. The nose was extremely yeasty and the alcohol content was obvious. Lots of caramel with some burnt wood also. Tasted of coffee grounds and severe alcohol. A challange for me to drink because of the alcohol content, but not bad at all to taste. Spices mixed with carbonation and alcohol make this a helluva kicker going down! Semi-sweet aftertaste. (430 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Aventinus pours a gorgeous caramel-brown color with a thick, creamy head that shows great retention. The nose is full of a delicious banana-bread smell (banana and spices), there are also notes of hops and citrus. The mouthfeel on this medium-bodied beer is quite smooth with a nice, dry finish. The taste is super balanced, picking up on the same bready, banana, peppery notes from the smell. Great use of hops to cut through the sweet, maltyness of this beer. (463 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Opaque dark amber, tan head.
S: Sassafras/sasparilla, ripe banana, fenols, rubber, some sweetness.
T: Pears in alcohol, a little bitterness, sourness, yeasty taste, alcohol. Apricot in the adtertaste
M: Above medium body, tiny bubbles of carboration. (253 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured dark brown with ruby hue. Foam quickly settled and disappeared. Light white ring. 70% opaque but clear and crisp looking. Moderate carbonation.
Aroma: Malty, raison, plum, molasses, cherry, banana and clove. Brandy-like.
Taste: Sweet malt, clove, cherry and plum. Bit of tartness in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Malty, wine-like. Minimal carbonation.
Overall: Smooth sipping beer to be enjoyed in a snifter. Complex flavors (425 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

A: Dark brown, cloudy, no head.

S: alcoholic esters, bready, dark stone fruits, characteristic Belgian yeasts. It also has a sweet smell to it; molasses?

T & M: Amazing! Smoky, semi sweet, complex yet balanced. The alcohol is definitely present and in your face. It's creamy and rich but unlike a stout or a porter. There's a spicy feel up front followed by the alcoholic burn followed by a smokey and sweet finish.

Overall: The only thing that prevented me from giving this magnificent beer a perfect 5 rating was its lack of a frothy head and lacing. I know the high alcohol content killed the chances of this brew having any kind of a pillowy, frothy head but for a sticky beer you would imagine it leaving crazy lacing all over the glass. I've tried American style eisbocks as well as other German eisbocks but none compares to this one. This has got to be the king of eisbocks! (886 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured this into a Leffe goblet, got a very thick and bubbling light tan head, which seemed to bubble away as if it were in a cauldron. Retention was good and I was left with a thick sticky lacing. The body itself was a very dark and murky burgandy with some very thick sediment lurking down the bottom.

The scent was very sweet malt, like ripe and dried dark fruits mixed together. There was also a definite phenolic character, more on the clove side of things along with just a plain wheat grain goodness.

Taste was dominated at first by sweetness, like dried plums and raisins. Other malt flavours followed though, toffee, caramel, rum etc. A tannin tartness at the back balanced things out along with clove spiciness and a wheat graininess. There is a very faint hops bitterness but it only makes a cameo. As it starts to warm down a smooth wild honey flavour becomes noticeable.

Very fullbodied drink, thick and syrupy. Decent carbonation which was noticeable when I thought about it, but it blended in with the spicness otherwise. Definite alcohol warming, but no alcohol burn.

For a strong and potent beer this was very drinkable. A very enjoyable sipping beer overall, I'm looking forward to exploring the style of Eisbock after this one. My only complaint was that it was a little too sweet for me, almost cloying to my palate. I thought it exhibited some very complex flavours but after a while the sweetness was just overloading my buds. (1,455 characters)

A: Hazy and caramel colored with well-retained foamy head, looks like a dark unfiltered cider (3/3)
S: Pretty strong banana and alcohol smell, reminiscent of strawberry-banana yogurt (10/12)
T: Sweet malt flavor balanced by very strong alcohol--an indistinguishable tang at the end of the sip (15/20)
M: Well-carbonated with dry finish (5/5)
O: 12% alcohol, you say? Yeah, you can tell. But honestly there’s a lot of dryness and malt character to balance it out. Would I drink this every day? No. But if someone asks me to recommend an eisbock, this’ll be #1 on my list. (7/10)
40/50 (592 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

This was one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while. Its not a style that I visit very often either. After an aggressive pour I still didn't get very much head at all. It was a very dark brown and had a sweet molasses smell to it. First few drinks I pulled a brown sugar and kind of a hot cinnamon taste from it. Is a good mid body beer with a little bit of tobacco taste in it as well. The alcohol is recognizable but I would have never guessed 12%. Drinks more like a 8 or 9. A great beer overall. When I got down to the end of it I notice a ton of sediment. That's to be expected. (594 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer poured a very clean coppery brown, with a nice head that subsided to long lasting lacing. The smell carried some sweet malts and mild alcohol. The flavor was excelent. Stong caramel overtones, with hints of clove and banana. a nicely balanced hops flavor enters duting the tasting though the caramel holds dominance. the finish is smooth with a bit of an alcoholic warming at the very end. This beer is amazingly smooth, with a creamy mouthfeel balanced nicely with a medium level of carbonation.
Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable beer and will look fo it again when I am inthe mood for an eisbock. (619 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Poured dark cloudy translucent brown but displayed some golden banana yellow highlights when held to the light. Head was extremely thick, frothy and tannish off-white in color.

S- Really like the smell in this one. Cloves, bananas, and wheat bread are foremost in the aroma profile, with some strong alcohol and hop tingle in the background and some dark fruits rounding it out quite well.

T- Wow. Strongest flavor present is cloves and spices, backed by bananas and wheat bread. Caramel candied apples, and a bit of raisin and licorice are also present as well as a hint of what may be cinnamon. These sweet flavors are balanced by a generous amount of hops and a modest kick from the strong alcohol in the finish. Delicious.

M- Silky smooth, tingly from spices, very full bodied and a bit bready. Very little more can be said as this is almost a perfect beer.

D- Very easy to drink and highly refreshing for such a full bodied and high gravity brew. The cloves and spices especially are phenomenal, concealing the alcohol beneath layers of delicious complexity and leave the pallet and the mouth craving the next sip and regretting the moment that the last drop is gone. I think this is one I would drink all night if my wallet and my liver could handle it. (1,266 characters)

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH