Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Reviews: 2,048 | Hads: 4,121
Reviews by Hopstamon:
3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

A classic version of the style-- tasty...tasty...tasty.

Pours a cloudy ruby/mahogany brown into the glass with a big head that settles to a heavy film. Minimal spotty lace.

Smells wonderful. Cloves, banana, caramel, fruitiness. A wonderful beer. Thick and creamy mouthfeel. Taste is gentle, no overpowering cloves like some others in the family. Nice comfortable warmth from the alcohol.

Not a beer that I would have multiple of in one session... but certainly one that I crave and enjoy the 16.9 oz portion down to the last drop. (533 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Good brew! Smooth, low IBU, dark fruits, wheat, banana, spices. This was different than the Ayinger weizenbock that I've had. Beeradvocate lists this as a "weizenbock" but they take different approaches to the style. Excuse my memory, but the Ayinger version seemed more what I would imagine a weizenbock to taste like. This reminded me much more of a dopplebock. While I will certainly drink a dopplebock, it isn't my favorite German style (although my second highest reviewed beer is a dopplebock... go figure). If I were to compare this to Ayinger's dopplebock: "Celebrator" I'd have to rate this one below that beer. Celebrator is at the top of the charts. This Schneider seems like a hybrid weizenbock and dopplebock together. I can respect that. It's tough for me because I'm not sure what I should review this as. A Weizenbock, a dopplebock, or just the pure enjoyment of the beer. The thing that this beer has going for it is that it seems like a dopplebock you can enjoy all year round. Celebrator is one of those beers you enjoy during the cold months. Its meant to be drank at a warmer temperature. This one seems like it would work even during warm days because its like it is asking to be drank at a cooler temperature. idk, just my take on this beer. Good stuff! (1,276 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer is a rich dark tan color. It's so good I decided to write a review which is rare for me. It pours a delightful head, and it just looks plain delectable.

The smell is phenomenal: I get banana, clove, peppermint, a touch of booze culminating in a fresh lemongrass aroma. It smells like a hefeweizen with some extra alcohol and earthy flavors. In the taste I get candy sugar, wheat, honey, clove, banana, and a little booze. It tastes like that clove gum with some alcohol added.

This is a great beer. I have to drink these occasionally to remind myself that there is more to beers than hops and coffee stouts. It is almost sad to realize that no American brewery could replicate this taste. I rate this among some of the best beers created. Its not barrel-aged or hop forward, but it's delicious and subtle, which I have yet to find in American beer. (860 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into flute

L: murky brown, a hint of amber/red; decent little head in the tight flute glass, tan color, disappears quickly, keeps a thick collar, no sticking or lacing; clears up at the bottom over time but still opaque at top

S: sour darker fruits ... sour/sweet ... dried fruits, darker fruits ... plum, dates, figs; slight sourness is definite ... I'm assuming its a combination of the darker malts mixed with the wheat

T: fruity fig, dates ... darker dried fruits, some raisin bread ... sweet ... very sweet, in fact; candy ... very Belgian abbey-ale like, almost tastes like a dubbel or quad

F: fantastic solid carbonated feel, easy to drink for such a big brew

O: I love this style ... I don't know much about it, but this brew in particular is very sweet, strong in ABV but easy to drink with all the alcohol hidden, lots of darker fruit tastes; only the slight sourness in the nose tips off the wheat, otherwise it comes off like a really good Belgian dubbel ... fantastic beer (1,018 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Time for some Tap 6, Schneider Weisse style! And this is the beer I promised to review over 4 years ago when I did my review of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, even though Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus is a Weizenbock, which would natürlich have to be compared to Weihenstephaner’s own Weizenbock: their Vitus. Anyway, let’s not dwell on how much of a beer-geek rookie I was back then, let us dwell on how beer-wise I have become. Oh, and let’s enjoy this tasty Weizenbock or “wheat billy goat” in the direct German translation [I kid you not. Ooo, that was an unexpected goat related pun right there!].

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: A nice deep hazy Doppelbock caramel brown body with a khaki cappuccino froth 1 inch head that soon settles down to a centimetre. So far so great. 9/10.

S: Ironically the aroma for Tap 6 is more bananary than their Tap 7 (aka their Hefeweizen). Following the bold banana note are hints of caramel and dark fruits, but they’re really sitting back and letting the banana do its thing, and I applaud them for it, go banana go! 10/10.

T: DA-AMN! This is why I was comparing this brew to Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - it’s all that I love about that brew and more, more everything! Bananas with caramel-sticky-date-molasses. It’s big, bold chewy and sugary with a dry finish that has a hint of cola - yes you heard me - cola as in the biggest ™ in the world. There is a minor distraction in a hint of metal lurking about in the aftertaste but otherwise this is Weizenbock that beats all other Weizenbocks. 9/10.

M: Mid to heavy body with some cloying from the sugar (to be expected with an 8.2% ABV heavyweight) and a soft but creamy carbonation. Suits this brew to a T. 9/10.

D: Oh how the mighty have risen with Schneider Weisse! After reviewing their Tap 7 and being a tad disappointed by my memory, which I believe had betrayed me, it turns out my memory of Tap 6 and subsequent now drinking has totally redeemed Schneider Weisse to me as the brutal heavy-hitting awesome Bavarian brewer they are, and a young impudent upstart against die älteste Brauerei der Welt, aka Weihenste... you-know-who-the-hell-I’m-talking-about! If you love puppies and don’t want them killed (by someone named ‘Cletus’ in my employ) drink this beer, YHBW. 10/10.

Food match: Knuspriger schweinebauch mit rotkraut, knödel und püriert apfel. (2,412 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a medium brown with a nice big creamy head,the aroma is slightly sweet ans clovey.Has a banana pudding quality to it with some chocolate wafer tones,like some of the others I think this a pretty complex beer.A little heavy in the stomach so its not a highly drinkable beer for me,but a great complex beer. (311 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Deep, dark brown pour with an enormous foamy head. Light hoppy nose with underlying hints of chocolate and plum. Lovely mouthfeel. Flavours of light, unsweetened chocolate, raisin, plum, a hint of banana and a spicey finish including some clove & nutmeg. Of course there is a noticeable alcohol kick on the finish. Very warm beer but yet not heavy. It stays light on the tongue and refreshes and yet is intense and complex in its flavours. A classic in my book. (461 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with lots of carbonation and a great head, but little lacing.

Smell – Huge dark yeast and malt aromas along with a variety of sweets. Raw sugar stands out to me, but there are also strong sticky caramel notes, bananas, and other ripe fruits. Well done.

Taste - This is a symphony of flavors. It is brewed in Munchen, Bayern, the home of great beer.

The dunkel weizen aspect is awesome, a hair sweeter than the standard. The carbonation is middling, the yeast deep, raw, and intricate to the flavor, and the dark, burnt taste is present but not porteresque. The huge sugars from the nose kick in as well, making this a mouthful.

The other half of the blend is the doppel bock. Here Aventinus shines as well. The burnt taste (different from the dunkles weizen flavors) is classic bock and, somehow, very distinctive from but not overpowering to the other aspects of the beer.

Together the myriad flavors add up to a smooth, most complex, slightly intoxicating (8.0 ABV) masterpiece. The Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is an amazing accomplishment within the brewing industry. I’ve never tasted anything like it.

Mouthfeel – A little off carbonation for a weitzen, but right on for a doppelbock. It’s not perfect, but really good.

Drinkability – In Germany a case of beer consists of 20 bottles like this in a plastic milk bottle type of carrier, and they are ribbed for stacking on top of one another. I’d like to have a walk-in cooler in my house and these things stacked to the ceiling. This went down exceptionally well.

Comments – I got down to the 39th review (high-low) before finding anything lower than a four (I’m number 40). This is the real deal and not just my partialness to weitzens and bocks. It’s incredible, and easily one of my favorite beers of all time.

Update: Reviewed 11/23/04 and raising the Mouthfeel from 4.0 to 4.5. This beer is utterly consistant from year to year. (1,957 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Beautiful. In my Weizen glass the lower portion of the beer is translucent and an almost bright orange mahogany. The beer in the wider are of the glass looks considerably darker, almost red and deeply brown. The contrast is remarkably striking. The head is huge, tan, and frothy. Aromas are heavy of banana, and cloves. There is also some berry presence as well as chocolate and apple peals. Tastes is jammy and has a sticky caramelness about it. Banana, cloves, chocolate, anise, and dark fruits all enter into play. This is just wonderful, truly wonderful. Drinkability is supreme. Mouthfeel is smooth. Very sessionable even at 8 degrees. (640 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Looks like a Long Island Iced Tea - chestnut-brown dark, but greyer still, and very cloudy. Most unusual.

S - Caramel and banana. Fresh made banana-loaf cake.

T - Fruits and spices the whole way through. Really fantastic. If you can have 'pudding wines', I think this might be a 'pudding beer'. Would compliment cheese and crackers very well.

O - I've been in Germany 3 years now, and this is the first time I've even heard of such a dark wheat-beer. Check it out is my advice, it's something really quite special.

p.s. As I swallow each mouth-full of this beer, I get pungent mouth-fulls of 'Christmas spicy flavours' running over the palette... This really is something special! One week left in Germany before I return to Asia: Note to Self - Must go to beer-shop tomorrow and get a few more of these in! (815 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Kevin for this one. Apparently this is the "go-to" weizenbock, much like Weihenstephan owns the title for "go-to hefe". Haven't had much weizenbock experience in my life, so I'll have to see how this plays out. Brown and swampy looking from the pour, hazy and cloudy all the way through with a puffy, off-white head showing nice retention and solid lacing as the beer shrinks in the glass.

Bubblegum. Yeast. Banana. Clove. Apple skins. Mild dark fruits. Sound familiar? Smells almost like a hefeweisen on acid - only with less wheat and a stronger alcohol presence. Yes, yes, the alcohol is noticeable on the nose, but doesn't really hinder at all - it only adds a bit of phenol presence. As this one warms up, I start picking up some more unique notes; mild tartness, cherries, dry wheat, spices, and light caramel. Overall, very pleasing to my nostrils, and it smells much like I expected. The wheat definitely picks up the pace a bit more during the latter half, too.

Well, well, well. Whatever bit of wheat was missing in the aroma is more than compensated for in the taste. The first sip coats the palate with a heavy blanket of wheat; subtly sweet, dry, and refined. The bubblegum-banana combo follows closely behind, and the banana almost takes on a "rotten" or "overripe" flavor profile. I know that sounds gross, but trust me - it works well. Yeasty and hefe-like all around with spices coming at you left and right. Clove, coriander, orange zest, pith, and peel, with a light sprinkling of mild white pepper covering everything. In the end, some light fruitiness surfaces; mild banana and mixed berries. Medium bodied with lots of carbonation, giving a floaty kind of mouth feel.

Hm, I still think I prefer Weihenstephaner Vitus to this beer, but there's no denying that this is still some good stuff. I don't know if I'm well-versed enough in weizenbocks to accurately rank this one among the rest, but it was definitely tasty, and dangerously drinkable for being 8.2% ABV. (1,997 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Dark brown with some red hues. A khaki head reached 2 fingers of frothy foam from a fairly firm pour into my snifter. Said head receded almost immediately, which was surprising considering how dense it was. Lacing is present but uninspiring.

S: A vast array of aromas reside in this beer. I smell some vanilla and caramel sweetness along with banana and plum fruit notes. In addition, there is a good amount of spicy aroma in the form of salt, clove, and paprika.

T: A somewhat hot spiciness greets my mouth in the flavor of cayenne pepper (I know, weird) and clove. This rolls over into a fruity, sweet character, with banana, vanilla, and some light chocolate flavors emerging as the beer warms.

M: In a word, exciting. The beginning of each sip brings a blast of sharp, biting, spicy acidity to my tongue. This is followed by a light to medium spritzing of carbonation. For sheer originality, I rate this mouthfeel high.

D: For the style, I think this is quite drinkable. Bock beers are not my favorite, but this brew has a lot to offer in terms of complexity and think-ability. (1,092 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

look ~ this one pouts a medium brown with some nice orange high-lights in it. the brew is very opaque. head is large: cream-colored, moussy, and long-lived; it rises to a decent height and falls at an average pace with little lacing. some nice visible carbonation.

smell ~ a really pleasant, strong aroma. the grainbill has some rich melanoidins (prunes, grapes, etc) and wheat. the yeast is filled with spices (cloves, vanilla) and some fruit (banana). A little bit of alcohol. No real hop presence.

taste ~ nicely complex and still light. the melanoidin on the grain-bill comes out a bit stronger on the palate, this is strongly reminiscent of prunes/plums with a bit of grape in mix. It also has some nice grain wheatiness. no darker roasty notes. the yeast flavor is very similar to a hefe (banana/clove/some black pepper on the finish) with some more vanilla in the mix. Overall, it tasted like a milder dunkelweizen with some stronger bock notes. No real hops, a light hint of alcoholic fussels (floral)

feel ~ light body with high carbonation. this lightness dries out the finish and also helps keep the complexity from getting too muddled. A bit of an acidic pinch and alcohol heat on the finish that give an interesting feel with the spiciness.

overall, I really enjoy this brew. I find that this brew is a little more Hefeweizen like than some others of this style. I find it one of those complex-without-being-too-muddled brews that I love because it achieves a great balance.

this one is the grand-daddy of weizenbocks and it richly deserves the title. (1,569 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

16.9 ouncer poured into a Schneider Weisse glass.

A- Light amber with a big, highly carbonated off-white head. Very noisy as well, crackly.

S- Clovey, spicy, licorice, bubblegum, and a hint of banana. Subtle but complex.

T- Root beer cola, yeasty. Opposite the nose, it's a bit sweeter and less spicy. Sweet malt as it warms, hides the alcohol well.

M&D- Medium-full bodied, slightly filmy and almost syrupy. Tasty and drinkable, the alcohol could sneak up on you if you aren't careful. A must try and ageable to boot. (522 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma -bannana, bright plum, alcohol, berries, clove, - basically smells like hefe with great added complexity, little sugary

App - opaque plum color with loud, lively carbonation, head retention is not awesome but nontheless impressive for the strength of the beer

Taste - Wonderfully deep malt flavor is kept levitating on the palate by the wheat. Hefe yeast's signature banana/ clove combo runs through the whole thing with a nice raisin character. Stone fruits appear every now and then. Wheat dries out the finish. Alcohol is there but you've really gotta look for it.

MF- Wheat and carbonation really seem to play a key role in keeping this strong, full-bodied beeer from coating the palate.

What a magical beer style. Complex but humble and, knowing the Germans, probably a realatively simple grain bill. This is maybe the most drinkable beer upward of 7% ABV I've ever had. Could get into some real trouble with this one flowing on tap. (948 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Aventinus Weizenbock nice 8.2% abv.

A- Very stern pour produces a hazy dark brown fluid with fluffy quickly falling head. Head falls to a ring with small amounts of middle froth. Little to none lacing but for a wheat doppelbock expected. Beautiful hue in the sunlight.

S- Rigid smells of raisins, dark fruit, alcohol esters, and fresh yeasty zest dominate the nose.
Excellent scents of a Doppelbock wheat.

T-M- Smooth yeasty start with light flavors of prunes, raisins, and figs. Secondly followed by rich alcohol esters and wheat bite. Very light on the tongue with little to deter you from drinking alot of this heavily strong beer.
Thin layer of malty feel lays on the mouth after a gulp making this a excellent experience for the taste buds.

D- Highly drinkable and will go tomorrow for six more to keep and drink when the need for a real wheat beer is needed. (868 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%