Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Reviews: 2,060 | Hads: 4,197
Reviews by mobyfann:
4.7/5  rDev +9%

Paid .85EUR + .08EUR glass deposit for a 500mL bottle.

*Reviewed on 10.07.2005

The beer pours a hazy choclate colored base, huge white head, great rentention and some lacing effects from top to bottom. The smell is screams of sweet malt flavor, not too heavy.

The taste isn't overly complex but this is what I look for in a beer. Smooth flavor, tasty malt, and a remarkable aftertaste, maybe the best of any beer out there. The mouthfeel is as if it were a café crème coffee, the retention of the beer gives the beer a refreshing start to every savory taste. The drinkability is by default a 5, given the exceptional taste, the beer never shows any sign of alcohol, and is ever so smooth on the delivery.

Final Thought: Wow, I had this on-tap at the Weisse Brauhaus in Munich and didn't realize how good it was in bottle form, a world class beer from a favored brewery in the world capital of bocks and weizens!

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Good brew! Smooth, low IBU, dark fruits, wheat, banana, spices. This was different than the Ayinger weizenbock that I've had. Beeradvocate lists this as a "weizenbock" but they take different approaches to the style. Excuse my memory, but the Ayinger version seemed more what I would imagine a weizenbock to taste like. This reminded me much more of a dopplebock. While I will certainly drink a dopplebock, it isn't my favorite German style (although my second highest reviewed beer is a dopplebock... go figure). If I were to compare this to Ayinger's dopplebock: "Celebrator" I'd have to rate this one below that beer. Celebrator is at the top of the charts. This Schneider seems like a hybrid weizenbock and dopplebock together. I can respect that. It's tough for me because I'm not sure what I should review this as. A Weizenbock, a dopplebock, or just the pure enjoyment of the beer. The thing that this beer has going for it is that it seems like a dopplebock you can enjoy all year round. Celebrator is one of those beers you enjoy during the cold months. Its meant to be drank at a warmer temperature. This one seems like it would work even during warm days because its like it is asking to be drank at a cooler temperature. idk, just my take on this beer. Good stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer is a rich dark tan color. It's so good I decided to write a review which is rare for me. It pours a delightful head, and it just looks plain delectable.

The smell is phenomenal: I get banana, clove, peppermint, a touch of booze culminating in a fresh lemongrass aroma. It smells like a hefeweizen with some extra alcohol and earthy flavors. In the taste I get candy sugar, wheat, honey, clove, banana, and a little booze. It tastes like that clove gum with some alcohol added.

This is a great beer. I have to drink these occasionally to remind myself that there is more to beers than hops and coffee stouts. It is almost sad to realize that no American brewery could replicate this taste. I rate this among some of the best beers created. Its not barrel-aged or hop forward, but it's delicious and subtle, which I have yet to find in American beer.

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Aventinus is a dunkle weizen bockbier or "dark wheat bock beer" by style. It is one of the most complex and amazing beers that you will ever taste, and beer geeks world wide sing its praises. IThis beer is brewed with up to 60% dark wheat malt, along with a very distinctive ale yeast strain that produces estery aromas and flavors of clove, banana, and apple. Being a bockbier, this beer has strong aromas and flavors of alcohol, and packs quite a punch at over 8% abv. It was a phenomenal beer to match with my breakfast of sausages and pretzels, and one of the most amazing beers to ever pass my lips. Aventinus pours to a beautiful, murky and opaque, deep caramel color, with a big, tall, rocky white head, and a vibrant carbonation. . The nose on this beer is very complex, and packed with character. Aromas of sweet malt, nutty malty, clove, and aromas of ripe banana flood the nose. This is paired with peppery hints of alcohol. The palate is smooth and round on the tongue, with big sweet and caramel malt flavors, some tart wheat malt flavor, and an underpinning of estery fruit. Aventinus finishes with more complex and delicious, malt and fruit flavors, then ends with a slightly warming, malty and clove spicy finish that lingers. A true master piece of the brewer’s art, this beer fresh vom fass was a truly special beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a caramel brown with lofty tan head. Really complex fruity aromas ranging from fig and plum to banana bread. The taste include some of the fruit complexity but then finishes with a delicous malty caramel flavor as well as a hint of spicy clove. The 8% alcohol barely shows. Medium body but thick for a wheat beer. Overall a really amzingly complex and tasty beer.

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into flute

L: murky brown, a hint of amber/red; decent little head in the tight flute glass, tan color, disappears quickly, keeps a thick collar, no sticking or lacing; clears up at the bottom over time but still opaque at top

S: sour darker fruits ... sour/sweet ... dried fruits, darker fruits ... plum, dates, figs; slight sourness is definite ... I'm assuming its a combination of the darker malts mixed with the wheat

T: fruity fig, dates ... darker dried fruits, some raisin bread ... sweet ... very sweet, in fact; candy ... very Belgian abbey-ale like, almost tastes like a dubbel or quad

F: fantastic solid carbonated feel, easy to drink for such a big brew

O: I love this style ... I don't know much about it, but this brew in particular is very sweet, strong in ABV but easy to drink with all the alcohol hidden, lots of darker fruit tastes; only the slight sourness in the nose tips off the wheat, otherwise it comes off like a really good Belgian dubbel ... fantastic beer

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Time for some Tap 6, Schneider Weisse style! And this is the beer I promised to review over 4 years ago when I did my review of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, even though Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus is a Weizenbock, which would natürlich have to be compared to Weihenstephaner’s own Weizenbock: their Vitus. Anyway, let’s not dwell on how much of a beer-geek rookie I was back then, let us dwell on how beer-wise I have become. Oh, and let’s enjoy this tasty Weizenbock or “wheat billy goat” in the direct German translation [I kid you not. Ooo, that was an unexpected goat related pun right there!].

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: A nice deep hazy Doppelbock caramel brown body with a khaki cappuccino froth 1 inch head that soon settles down to a centimetre. So far so great. 9/10.

S: Ironically the aroma for Tap 6 is more bananary than their Tap 7 (aka their Hefeweizen). Following the bold banana note are hints of caramel and dark fruits, but they’re really sitting back and letting the banana do its thing, and I applaud them for it, go banana go! 10/10.

T: DA-AMN! This is why I was comparing this brew to Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen - it’s all that I love about that brew and more, more everything! Bananas with caramel-sticky-date-molasses. It’s big, bold chewy and sugary with a dry finish that has a hint of cola - yes you heard me - cola as in the biggest ™ in the world. There is a minor distraction in a hint of metal lurking about in the aftertaste but otherwise this is Weizenbock that beats all other Weizenbocks. 9/10.

M: Mid to heavy body with some cloying from the sugar (to be expected with an 8.2% ABV heavyweight) and a soft but creamy carbonation. Suits this brew to a T. 9/10.

D: Oh how the mighty have risen with Schneider Weisse! After reviewing their Tap 7 and being a tad disappointed by my memory, which I believe had betrayed me, it turns out my memory of Tap 6 and subsequent now drinking has totally redeemed Schneider Weisse to me as the brutal heavy-hitting awesome Bavarian brewer they are, and a young impudent upstart against die älteste Brauerei der Welt, aka Weihenste... you-know-who-the-hell-I’m-talking-about! If you love puppies and don’t want them killed (by someone named ‘Cletus’ in my employ) drink this beer, YHBW. 10/10.

Food match: Knuspriger schweinebauch mit rotkraut, knödel und püriert apfel.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a medium brown with a nice big creamy head,the aroma is slightly sweet ans clovey.Has a banana pudding quality to it with some chocolate wafer tones,like some of the others I think this a pretty complex beer.A little heavy in the stomach so its not a highly drinkable beer for me,but a great complex beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Deep, dark brown pour with an enormous foamy head. Light hoppy nose with underlying hints of chocolate and plum. Lovely mouthfeel. Flavours of light, unsweetened chocolate, raisin, plum, a hint of banana and a spicey finish including some clove & nutmeg. Of course there is a noticeable alcohol kick on the finish. Very warm beer but yet not heavy. It stays light on the tongue and refreshes and yet is intense and complex in its flavours. A classic in my book.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with lots of carbonation and a great head, but little lacing.

Smell – Huge dark yeast and malt aromas along with a variety of sweets. Raw sugar stands out to me, but there are also strong sticky caramel notes, bananas, and other ripe fruits. Well done.

Taste - This is a symphony of flavors. It is brewed in Munchen, Bayern, the home of great beer.

The dunkel weizen aspect is awesome, a hair sweeter than the standard. The carbonation is middling, the yeast deep, raw, and intricate to the flavor, and the dark, burnt taste is present but not porteresque. The huge sugars from the nose kick in as well, making this a mouthful.

The other half of the blend is the doppel bock. Here Aventinus shines as well. The burnt taste (different from the dunkles weizen flavors) is classic bock and, somehow, very distinctive from but not overpowering to the other aspects of the beer.

Together the myriad flavors add up to a smooth, most complex, slightly intoxicating (8.0 ABV) masterpiece. The Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is an amazing accomplishment within the brewing industry. I’ve never tasted anything like it.

Mouthfeel – A little off carbonation for a weitzen, but right on for a doppelbock. It’s not perfect, but really good.

Drinkability – In Germany a case of beer consists of 20 bottles like this in a plastic milk bottle type of carrier, and they are ribbed for stacking on top of one another. I’d like to have a walk-in cooler in my house and these things stacked to the ceiling. This went down exceptionally well.

Comments – I got down to the 39th review (high-low) before finding anything lower than a four (I’m number 40). This is the real deal and not just my partialness to weitzens and bocks. It’s incredible, and easily one of my favorite beers of all time.

Update: Reviewed 11/23/04 and raising the Mouthfeel from 4.0 to 4.5. This beer is utterly consistant from year to year.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Beautiful. In my Weizen glass the lower portion of the beer is translucent and an almost bright orange mahogany. The beer in the wider are of the glass looks considerably darker, almost red and deeply brown. The contrast is remarkably striking. The head is huge, tan, and frothy. Aromas are heavy of banana, and cloves. There is also some berry presence as well as chocolate and apple peals. Tastes is jammy and has a sticky caramelness about it. Banana, cloves, chocolate, anise, and dark fruits all enter into play. This is just wonderful, truly wonderful. Drinkability is supreme. Mouthfeel is smooth. Very sessionable even at 8 degrees.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Looks like a Long Island Iced Tea - chestnut-brown dark, but greyer still, and very cloudy. Most unusual.

S - Caramel and banana. Fresh made banana-loaf cake.

T - Fruits and spices the whole way through. Really fantastic. If you can have 'pudding wines', I think this might be a 'pudding beer'. Would compliment cheese and crackers very well.

O - I've been in Germany 3 years now, and this is the first time I've even heard of such a dark wheat-beer. Check it out is my advice, it's something really quite special.

p.s. As I swallow each mouth-full of this beer, I get pungent mouth-fulls of 'Christmas spicy flavours' running over the palette... This really is something special! One week left in Germany before I return to Asia: Note to Self - Must go to beer-shop tomorrow and get a few more of these in!

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Kevin for this one. Apparently this is the "go-to" weizenbock, much like Weihenstephan owns the title for "go-to hefe". Haven't had much weizenbock experience in my life, so I'll have to see how this plays out. Brown and swampy looking from the pour, hazy and cloudy all the way through with a puffy, off-white head showing nice retention and solid lacing as the beer shrinks in the glass.

Bubblegum. Yeast. Banana. Clove. Apple skins. Mild dark fruits. Sound familiar? Smells almost like a hefeweisen on acid - only with less wheat and a stronger alcohol presence. Yes, yes, the alcohol is noticeable on the nose, but doesn't really hinder at all - it only adds a bit of phenol presence. As this one warms up, I start picking up some more unique notes; mild tartness, cherries, dry wheat, spices, and light caramel. Overall, very pleasing to my nostrils, and it smells much like I expected. The wheat definitely picks up the pace a bit more during the latter half, too.

Well, well, well. Whatever bit of wheat was missing in the aroma is more than compensated for in the taste. The first sip coats the palate with a heavy blanket of wheat; subtly sweet, dry, and refined. The bubblegum-banana combo follows closely behind, and the banana almost takes on a "rotten" or "overripe" flavor profile. I know that sounds gross, but trust me - it works well. Yeasty and hefe-like all around with spices coming at you left and right. Clove, coriander, orange zest, pith, and peel, with a light sprinkling of mild white pepper covering everything. In the end, some light fruitiness surfaces; mild banana and mixed berries. Medium bodied with lots of carbonation, giving a floaty kind of mouth feel.

Hm, I still think I prefer Weihenstephaner Vitus to this beer, but there's no denying that this is still some good stuff. I don't know if I'm well-versed enough in weizenbocks to accurately rank this one among the rest, but it was definitely tasty, and dangerously drinkable for being 8.2% ABV.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Dark brown with some red hues. A khaki head reached 2 fingers of frothy foam from a fairly firm pour into my snifter. Said head receded almost immediately, which was surprising considering how dense it was. Lacing is present but uninspiring.

S: A vast array of aromas reside in this beer. I smell some vanilla and caramel sweetness along with banana and plum fruit notes. In addition, there is a good amount of spicy aroma in the form of salt, clove, and paprika.

T: A somewhat hot spiciness greets my mouth in the flavor of cayenne pepper (I know, weird) and clove. This rolls over into a fruity, sweet character, with banana, vanilla, and some light chocolate flavors emerging as the beer warms.

M: In a word, exciting. The beginning of each sip brings a blast of sharp, biting, spicy acidity to my tongue. This is followed by a light to medium spritzing of carbonation. For sheer originality, I rate this mouthfeel high.

D: For the style, I think this is quite drinkable. Bock beers are not my favorite, but this brew has a lot to offer in terms of complexity and think-ability.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

look ~ this one pouts a medium brown with some nice orange high-lights in it. the brew is very opaque. head is large: cream-colored, moussy, and long-lived; it rises to a decent height and falls at an average pace with little lacing. some nice visible carbonation.

smell ~ a really pleasant, strong aroma. the grainbill has some rich melanoidins (prunes, grapes, etc) and wheat. the yeast is filled with spices (cloves, vanilla) and some fruit (banana). A little bit of alcohol. No real hop presence.

taste ~ nicely complex and still light. the melanoidin on the grain-bill comes out a bit stronger on the palate, this is strongly reminiscent of prunes/plums with a bit of grape in mix. It also has some nice grain wheatiness. no darker roasty notes. the yeast flavor is very similar to a hefe (banana/clove/some black pepper on the finish) with some more vanilla in the mix. Overall, it tasted like a milder dunkelweizen with some stronger bock notes. No real hops, a light hint of alcoholic fussels (floral)

feel ~ light body with high carbonation. this lightness dries out the finish and also helps keep the complexity from getting too muddled. A bit of an acidic pinch and alcohol heat on the finish that give an interesting feel with the spiciness.

overall, I really enjoy this brew. I find that this brew is a little more Hefeweizen like than some others of this style. I find it one of those complex-without-being-too-muddled brews that I love because it achieves a great balance.

this one is the grand-daddy of weizenbocks and it richly deserves the title.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

16.9 ouncer poured into a Schneider Weisse glass.

A- Light amber with a big, highly carbonated off-white head. Very noisy as well, crackly.

S- Clovey, spicy, licorice, bubblegum, and a hint of banana. Subtle but complex.

T- Root beer cola, yeasty. Opposite the nose, it's a bit sweeter and less spicy. Sweet malt as it warms, hides the alcohol well.

M&D- Medium-full bodied, slightly filmy and almost syrupy. Tasty and drinkable, the alcohol could sneak up on you if you aren't careful. A must try and ageable to boot.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Aroma -bannana, bright plum, alcohol, berries, clove, - basically smells like hefe with great added complexity, little sugary

App - opaque plum color with loud, lively carbonation, head retention is not awesome but nontheless impressive for the strength of the beer

Taste - Wonderfully deep malt flavor is kept levitating on the palate by the wheat. Hefe yeast's signature banana/ clove combo runs through the whole thing with a nice raisin character. Stone fruits appear every now and then. Wheat dries out the finish. Alcohol is there but you've really gotta look for it.

MF- Wheat and carbonation really seem to play a key role in keeping this strong, full-bodied beeer from coating the palate.

What a magical beer style. Complex but humble and, knowing the Germans, probably a realatively simple grain bill. This is maybe the most drinkable beer upward of 7% ABV I've ever had. Could get into some real trouble with this one flowing on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Aventinus Weizenbock nice 8.2% abv.

A- Very stern pour produces a hazy dark brown fluid with fluffy quickly falling head. Head falls to a ring with small amounts of middle froth. Little to none lacing but for a wheat doppelbock expected. Beautiful hue in the sunlight.

S- Rigid smells of raisins, dark fruit, alcohol esters, and fresh yeasty zest dominate the nose.
Excellent scents of a Doppelbock wheat.

T-M- Smooth yeasty start with light flavors of prunes, raisins, and figs. Secondly followed by rich alcohol esters and wheat bite. Very light on the tongue with little to deter you from drinking alot of this heavily strong beer.
Thin layer of malty feel lays on the mouth after a gulp making this a excellent experience for the taste buds.

D- Highly drinkable and will go tomorrow for six more to keep and drink when the need for a real wheat beer is needed.