Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,055 | Hads: 4,153

Before you try Aventinus, you must know that there are BIG differences between fresh Aventinus and vintage bottles from the brewery. I'm reviewing both here, but my ratings pertain to vintage Aventinus. In my experience, a 4- to 5-year-old bottle is among the top 2 or 3 beers available today, while a fresh bottle is in the top 10. As such, a 5-year-old bottle gets a perfect 5.0, while a fresh bottle is about a 4.7 or a 4.8.

AFTER 5 years, Aventinus starts to break down. A 6-year-old bottle might rate a 4.0 or worse, so bear that in mind and aim for 4 or 5 years of age.

Appearance -- (Recent vintage) After a solid "weissbier pour" from a 500-mL bottle into my Aventinus glass (which is quite distinctive), I examine the beer from head to foot. This stuff serves up a whopping four-plus fingers of creamy, firm, off-white head, which lingers for over two minutes before settling into a quarter-inch cap for the remainder of my drink. Solid lacing leaves evidence of each sip. The body of the beer -- and this may be partly due to the glass -- fades from a deep, rich blackish-purplish-brown at the top to a deep amber at the bottom. Even from a "fresh" bottle, there are visible chunks of sediment floating in the beer.

(Five-year-old vintage) Similar pour, same glass. Two to three fingers of off-white head, which recede within about a minute and leave only a filmy cap. Lacing is minimal. Vintage Aventinus is marginally more brown than the fresh stuff, but man, it still looks great in the glass. Of considerable note, the yeast becomes much less chunky with age, blending with the body of the beer much as the flavors coalesce over time.

Smell -- (Recent vintage) Well, this is a wheat beer, but it smells like something altogether unique. Then again, if you don't like wheat beers, you may not like this one, either. I smell dried fruits (e.g., raisins, dates), honey, and the faintest metallic twinge. Oddly, this is somehow compelling, rather than off-putting.

(Five-year-old vintage) With age, the aroma sweetens and warms, and the metallic note disappears. Dried-fruit odors still dominate, but a wholesome wheatiness ties it all together. Scents of toffee and burnt caramel are also apparent...there's a lot going on here, but it all makes sense after a few whiffs. Stunning.

Taste -- (Recent vintage) Truly hard to describe. This is the "biggest" wheat beer out there, in my experience -- with the noted exception of Aventinus Eisbock. Sure, you'll detect some of that signature weissbier breadiness, but this beer is about more than that. I pick up brown sugar, dates, raisins, burnt caramel, and a heavy dose of malt. There's also a toasted-grain quality to this beer that I've never tasted elsewhere. Again, totally unique.

(Five-year-old vintage) Still huge, and still completely unique. The appearance/smell/taste/mouthfeel experience is the most integrated beer-drinking experience you're likely to find. The flavors listed above are the main attraction, but with age, they merge to form a strikingly unusual whole. Sweet, savory, fruity, malty, and earthy all at once. A masterpiece.

Mouthfeel -- (Recent vintage) As an avid wheat beer drinker, I find this one to be heavier and thicker in the mouth than most. The sediment in this one really is chunkier than that of a standard hefeweizen, and you'll feel it going down. Honestly, this is a mild drawback for me; I'd prefer the yeast to distribute itself more evenly throughout the glass. The sediment in a glass of fresh Aventinus is akin to what you might find in a particularly "dirty" Belgian abbey ale.

(Five-year-old vintage) The formerly chunky sediment is now an integral component of the beer's body. This elevates the mouthfeel to something uniquely sublime...think "thick chocolate milk," but with malty, yeasty, mildly carbonated alcohol. Coats the throat, to great effect.

Drinkability -- (Recent vintage) This is where the vintage stuff really shines, by comparison. A fresh bottle of Aventinus is some appreciably potent stuff, especially for a wheat beer. Between the the big taste, the big mouthfeel, the chunky sediment, and the relatively high ABV (by wheat beer standards), one bottle of this is probably enough for one sitting. But it does leave you wanting more -- this is a beer you'll think about for days after you drink it, identifying subtleties you couldn't quite place while drinking it.

(Five-year-old vintage) Whatever alcohol heat you feel in a fresh bottle has faded into the background with a few years of aging. I still don't think I could put away more than a half-liter of this in one sitting, simply because it's so rich. Drinking more than one bottle would be like eating half a cheesecake -- albeit a delicious, potentially life-altering cheesecake.

Aventinus is a truly unique beer, and required drinking for any fan of wheat beers. In fact, it's strongly recommended for ANY beer drinker.

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Pure heaven, great smell of yeast, caramel, honey and malt
Appearance- This is a dark murky brown brew with swirling sediment and a small off-white head.
Taste- A masterpiece! I love this flavor, well balanced fruit and spice with malt and yeast. perfectly blended.
Palate- This is a medium to heavy beer with moderate carbonation. Has a nice semi-dry finish.
Overall- World Class, drink at every opportunity.

From a 1 pint bottle into a weizen glass. The bottle was cold when purchased and I let it set a good 35 minutes before opening. Aventinus poured a lovely deep mahogany into the glass. The 2 inch foamy head was thick, rich and slightly off white. It settled after a while to the thickness of a couple of quarters. Oh my, the beautiful aroma hit seconds after the cap came off and before I even tipped the bottle. The chocolate vanilla, banana, clove and rich malts danced in my head. The taste does not disappoint. One can easily pick up the malts, creamy chocolate and wheat. She is properly carbonated for the style and the ingredients God supplied. The sweetness of the beer dances in your mouth and goes down ever so smoothly. A wonderful beer for a cold night, or anytime. Extremely drinkable. Perfect in every way.

First had this with a Tofurkey meal.

A: Dark brown with good head retention
S: Very malty with some vague banana split notes
T: Has a mixture of chocolate and fruitiness that is like no other.
M: Very smooth and heavy, definitely something to be enjoyed and not drank quickly
D: Crudweiser should be sued for false advertising, this is the true king of beers.

I bought this bottle on a whim at Marcello's in Lafayette, LA. Little did I know that I was in for. This beer was so delicious, and I could not find anything bad about it. Upon opening, I immediately poured it into a glass and noticed how nice of a head came out of it. As I began to drink it, I noticed aromas of fruit, a heavy but not-to-sweet taste with an incredible champagne-like carbonation.

I bought this beer at a time when I was strictly drinking IPA's and assorted Pale's, and I could argue that this beer helped change my taste. I highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes a variety of beers.

Arguably the best beer in the WORLD!!!

Schneider Aventinus is the beer that made a craft beer lover out of me. I have enjoyed this dozens of times and the magic never seems to fade.

(Did you know that bock beers are actually a style of lager?)

Stunning color, rich, deep and lovely dark brown-red-black with a great 2 finger head.

Smells of all the nutty, cocoa-ey, molasses-ey, and espresso-ey goodness of all that is doppelbock.

Tastes of the heavens. This is heavy without being weighty, rich without being overpowering, and supremely balanced.

The texture is the best I have had from bottle and pretty much draft (with the exception of the great nitro-tap stouts).

So drinkable it is with the great balance and smooth finish.

Honestly, superb!

I'm glad I can finally leave a review of Aventinus, a brew I found in Germany a year ago and have managed to enjoy often since then.

Served in a 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. bottle, no freshness date marked.

A: Pours a nice, deep brown. Good sized tan head with nice lacing. Pretty much clear, with some slight clouding.

S: Has an undoubtedly alcoholic scent, along with notes of clove, fruit and banana.

T: Wow. I've heard more than one reviewer call Aventinus "The Nectar of the Gods" and I couldn't agree more. Starts off sweet with a little bit of fruity tang, plus some slight caramel flavors. Finishes more with clove and an alcoholic taste.

M: For the most part, heavy and creamy... though there is paradoxally a crispness to the beer as well. Incredibly pleasant warming alcohol feel as well.

D: I would only suggest one or two of these in a night, but that doesn't mean that the beer has low drinkability. Rather, I could happily have Aventinus every night.

Notes: A golden standard for the Weizenbock, and for quality brewing in general. Probably as close to a perfect beer as can be found on earth.

Outstanding beer.
Pours a deep brown with hints of amber and a nice 2 inch head that dissipates slowly and leaves nice lacing.
Smell was Plum, and Dried Fruits with hints of Clove spices and a sweet malt and alcohol aroma in the background.
Taste was amazingly smooth with hits of caramel malts and alcohol and finishes with a nice hit of the dried fruit and spice.
Medium/full body and exceptionally smooth. Very enjoyable brew.

I generally try to refrain from reviewing beers that I know I love, beers that make me salivate at the mere mention of them, but sometimes I make an exception and post a completely biased and unscientific review of a beer I think is perfect. This is one of those beers.

A: A beautiful dark mahogany (I've seen Mercedes-Benz this color) that lets almost no light through. In an Aventinus glass this beer is a piece of artwork. The head comes up and over the rim of the glass and just hovers there before settling down and leaving a constant white outline on the top of the beer. I love the way the yeast creates mini-clouds inside of the beer after the initial pour before dispersing evenly throughout the beer.

S: Aventinus as the banana and clove that you'd find in a lesser weizen, but it also has hints of chocolate and dark fruits that are not only surprising to find in a weizen, but also exceptional for more traditional bocks and doppelbocks.

T: So good. I need to have a few of these on hand at all times, but I never have more than one or two a month. It is a beer that is too good to be consumed everyday. It needs to be savored and reserved for special occasions. The same dark fruit and chocolate flavors melt over the malty yeastyness that would be found in other weizens. There is a sweetness that comes out as the beer warms, but it is perfectly balanced by the hops.

M: I actually prefer the mouthfeel of Hefeweizens and Dunkelweizens to this, but it is still a wonderful thing to hold in my mouth. There is a subtle sting at the back of my throat, but otherwise this beer goes down perfectly. This is dessert in a glass.

D: Oh God does this beer go down smooth. If it wasn't for the 8%+ abv and the $4+ price tag I'd probably find more "special occasions" to enjoy this beer. As it is I think Aventinus is a perfect beer and nothing will inhibit my drinking of it.

A robust yet smooth, full-bodied bock that truly deserves its reputation as one of the world’s best beers. Aventinus pours a dark ruby brown color and there are notes of sweet malt and spices in the nose. The sweet malt and spices jump out in the taste as well, complimented by hints of banana, dark chocolate, vanilla, and wheat with light floral hops at the finish. There’s a lot going on in Aventinus, and the sweet candy backbone makes it a truly enjoyable bock.

Let me start this review off by saying that I am a HUGE and I mean a HUGE fan of doppelbocks. That being said, this doppelbock is rather unique. We have here a WHEAT DOPPELBOCK and a DELICIOUS one at that. I have nicknamed this beer the BANANA DOPPELBOCK BIER. I have had this beer at room temperature and cold and ICE cold. I always seem to enjoy it at room temperature more than the other methods. This beer is simply said, great. Period. I cannot say it better. It's not good, it's GREAT. It's a TRUE bock and it's heavy on the alcohol but not too heavy on the stomach!

A: Pours a solid dark brown. A very good sized head with lacing all over!

S: Smells of banana! Yes! That's the FIRST thing that hits my nose. Is that a bad thing? You say you don't like fruity beers? Well trust me, this is a DELICIOUS doppelbock! The smell is of ROASTED banana..if you can pinpoint that--and if you can't, then you have GOT to try this beer. It's fantastic.

T: Sweet caramel taste, not too overpowering and not underwhelming at all. Taste is of roasted malts and roasted banana! Wow. Roasted banana. This German doppelbock is awesome.

M: Creamy and crisp! Crisp? Yes, the water used for this brew is simply awesome. If you love beer you MUST try this bock bier!

D: Very drinkable, but be careful. The alcohol content on Schneider's Aventinus is HIGH at over 8 percent. The roasted taste will leave you wanting more. I can guarantee that. This is a beer that I always have stocked and have preserved. You should always have one in your fridge waiting for you!

This is quite possibly THE best Weizenbock you are going to encounter. As a doppelbock, I'd definitely put it in my top 5..perhaps even my top 3. Great brew

Served from a bottle...I'd love to try it on tap when I visit Germany this year

Good old Aventinus. Strange beer it is to me. When I first tried it I despised it, but like Orval, I kept coming back to it and now it's at the top of my list. Pours a beautiful mahogany with a big foamy, fizzy head. Smells of chocolate cherrys, and other unidentifiable fruits. Wonderful aromas are coming off of this that I just can't put my finger on. Smooth, smooth, smooth for something of this alcohol content. Instantly refreshing, yet at the same time, rich with flavour. Dark fruits and milk chocolate are all over this. The yeast assaults you with a million unidentifiable fruit flavours. The closest I can come is bananas, red delicious apples and cherries. Finishes with a slight, and I MEAN slight chocolately aftertaste. This is one of God's nectars and if Schneider and Sohn ever decide to stop making it they better start watching their backs! :)

The return to cold weather for a few days motivated me to bust out this beer and what a treat it was.

Poured a cloudy, rust-brown color with a bubble-laiden, soft, cream colored head that dissipated quickly and left just a touch of lacing. High level of carbonation with very tiny bubbles gracing the surface; seemed like I was dreaming. An incredible number of aromas seemed to come out including honey, grains, earth, sweet fruit, and alcohol. The taste was dominated by that of dark fruit and wheat. Subtle earth (mud) and smoked flavors added character and depth. The texture was slightly chewy with a medium-finish that seemed to involve figs and dates. The beer starts off smooth and semi-sweet, but finishes bitter. Start to finish this is one of the most incredible and flavorful brews I've ever had.

Outstanding flavor. Look, smell, taste & feel is what a great beer should be. Fantastic & highly recommended. Needs to be in the "World Class" league.

Pours a nice dark reddish-amber color with a fluffy,white head into my fluted glass.

Aroma has a very nice amount of clove and what reminds me of nutmeg in the nose. Mixes in well with the wheat.

Taste is again full of the clove and wheat flavors with a tiny hint of alcohol bite and banana.

Mouthfeel is full of clove with even a hint of raisin and a bit of alcohol warmth. Otherwise, alcohol is well-hidden. Beer goes down very well.

This is marvelous. I haven't had many authentic versions of this style but I would say that this comes out on top for authenticity and drinkability.

I rarely drink, but when I do, this is the beer I have... The taste is really indescribably, but to me , if there is a heaven, this is what is served there, it tastes that good... It has a very dark look to it, wonderful body, great head when you pour it in a glass. To me, it's pretty much the perfect beer. Put this one on your bucket list of beers to try, and taste what perfection really is.

Appearance: big dense white head and opaque dark brown body.

Aroma: big clove with wheat graininess and a bit of banana.

Taste: lots of clove and banana with sweet malt blending well with some indistinct fruity notes. A slight tartness in the aftertaste. Low hopping serves to balance - no bitterness detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy, despite a medium-high level of carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall: awesomely delicious! This is a new addition to my top five beers list. Perfection.

Wow, this is the real deal. A fluffy head and an opaque, greenish, *mysterious* hue hinted at what was to come. Fruity and floral on the nose and just as complex on the tongue--a typical wheaty citrus character balanced with clove. Chewy. This is a fantastic bottle-conditioned beer that has earned a place in my top 10, if not my top 5. Highly recommended.

Absolutely heaven. The taste of banana's and clove's are well balanced. I have never tasted a wheat dopplebock like this. First impression was like tasting heaven, smooooth and velvety. Absolutely the best wheat dobblebock I've tried this decade. Everytime I've tried it, it's still number one.

This my friends is the new sheriff in my town.THE King of all wheat beers and maybe the king of all beers period.The smell,the taste the appearance just incredible.This is the perfect beer if you love wheat beers hell if you love beer period.It is incredibly easy drinking for a high abv.
No where do you taste alcohol because is is such a complex beer.Caramel,banana's cloves,maltiness, tons of yeast and some chocolate,what a beer!

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into chalice glass as shared with a friend.

A- An opaque beer, very deep orangr/brown in colour with an off white head

s- cloves and banana dominate the smell of this brew, exceptional smell with every sip

t- almost a smokey taste, with banana and other spice overtones

m- smooth on the palate, low carbonation makes this a smooth strong beer.

d- very good brew, goes down quite smooth for a strong beer, would recommend this to any beer drinker who respects quality in their mouth

I ve had this beer many times before from a bottle but this time things were different - it was on tap and the tap was on fire fellows.

What can I say like the real thing just better even better my secon 5 rating in more than 110 ratings and it is awesome.

I had not one pint and not two of this not three or four either BUT 5 my friends yes!

Suggested to me after telling someone at Friar Tuck's in Peoria, IL my likes and dislikes. Spot on accurate suggestion. I wish I knew who this guy was! I'd ask him for more suggestions. I've wanted to find a “go-to” beer to buy as a regular. Probably too expensive for that, but oh so good!

Pours cloudy and unfiltered and smells like you're in for a complex treat. It tastes and feels like you should have bought more than one to try!

I'll be stocking up on this in the future. I wish I could taste this on draft. I can't imagine.

In the world of weizenbocks, this is the behemoth of greatness...

Gave a bit of a vigorous pour and gave up a big tan head but retained a firm amount of carbonation. A deep amber brown to almost purple hue. Great dopplebock appearance.

Has an intense German wheat scent, with a hint of that bock deal going on. A bit of dried plums and a dash of spicy yeast. There is a perfect, extra ripe banana tone to this as well. A lightly sweet aroma that is rich and earthy.

Taste is fantastic. This breaks some boundaries and sets a solid ground for this style of beer. Aventinus is for dopple-weizenbocks as St. Bernardus Abt 12 is for Belgian quadruples.
It's got a rich sweet wheat ale taste with plums and malty dopple-bock tones. Ripe, spicy bananas with a great clove and sharp German yeast kick. Has some hop to it that dries it up and balances with sweetness with just a tad earthy bitterness. Very rich and full flavored. The booze is slightly there but is complimented very well by the hops and bitter dryness toward the end of the beer.

Mouthfeel is fantastic as well. Creamy, medium body that is so drinkable and pillowy... Man, how can you not love this beer as a whole. Even with a vigorous pour, the carbonation maintains well into the end. Great sign of quality for me.

Overall, as stated right off. This fine weizenbock is a cornerstone. It is a beast, it is great. If you have been skeptical of German beers, if you think they are predictable and ho-hum, if you just haven't had it... Buy it if you see it, you won't be sorry. I haven't been ever since the first one I had years ago.

One of those "perfect" brews you encounter. Fruity yeasty punch to the face with a subtle alcohol ester present and creamy lingering head. Drank this beer with some foie gras spread on a crusty sourdough resulting in a delicious paring, perfect on a warm overcast day.