Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,092 | Ratings: 4,344
3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a sweet Aventinus glass recently, so immediately I needed something to put inside it. Not surprisingly, I opted for the logical choice.

APPEARANCE: Poured into aforementioned glass a golden brown with slight rusted-colored tones, on top of which sat a huge, pillowy off-white head. A layer of foam lasts until the very end, and it leaves a few small patches of lace down my glass.

SMELL: Very yeasty and very banana-y! Whew, it smells like someone put some banana flavored candy in my beer. Some spice is also present (clove?). The whole aroma is very complex and flavorful, but very up front and in your face.

TASTE: Much more rounded out than the smell. Clove is much more pronounced, now outshining the banana. The taste is quite yeasty, with the banana and clove entering as the beer crosses my palette. The finish is fruity and sweet, if not a bit dry.

MOUTHFEEL: Smooth and easy. Perhaps a little undercarbonated for my liking.

DRINKABILITY: The alcohol hits you a bit, but despite that, I only have half my beer left. It certainly goes down easy enough, but I don't know if I'd have another.

This is a great beer and worthy of being at the top of its style, but it leaves me wishing for a bit more. Perhaps I'm spoiled having such access to a beer like this, or perhaps it's just has qualities that are inherent to the style that I wish it didn't. Probably a combination of both. I really like this beer, though. I just don't love it.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours with a big, fizzy head of large, airy white bubbles that quickly dissipates into nothing at all! (BTW I had not cleaned my tasting glass with detergent, or a towel, so I'm at a loss as to why there's no head... what a downer!) The beer itself is well-carbonated, though, with plenty of streamers rising through a light-chestnut colored brew with highlights that border on amber. Immediately weizeny aroma up front, with the distinctive refreshing, near-citrus tartness; there follows a banana-bread mealiness in the middle; with toffee malt rounding out the back. Flavor is of clove and slight cinnamon; sour-wheaty with suggestions of bubblegum and melon in the midpalate with spicy clove; highlights of raisin and white grapes. And oh yeah, a lot more clove--so much that it almost borders on black pepper. If you don't like clove, then forget it. Mouthfeel is spicily dry, effervescent, champagney with more peppery tingle; yet somehow quenching in the back of the throat. This combination of spiciness and quenching character infers a high drinkability. I could drink this in session if I wasn't feeling the alcohol already... I might try this again to see if the "appearance" score goes up a bit, but for now let's just say I didn't get as much out of this beer as I had hoped.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured out of a 500 mL bottle into a weizenbock glass.

A- Nice amber color with tints of orange reflections. An inch and a half of white head with tons of carbonation.

S- Smell of wheat and fruit were the first thing that came to mind.

T- The taste was a little to variable for me. At first the fruit and wheat were prevalent, but just when you thought the sweetness would settle on your tongue, the carbonation killed it. The fruit taste really came out mid-drink when the carbonation settled.

M- Medium-bodied and almost tasted like soda at first with all the carbonation.

D- At 8.2% abv, this beer is extremely drinkable, the alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall, a very nice beer that I wish had a little less carbonation. As I said before, the more you let the carbonation settle, the more the fruit and flavor are prolonged when consumed. I may store my other bottle for a while to see how it affects the beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fruits and malts. Taste is good, fruits, malts, spices, very flavorful. Feels full bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a high quality beer.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Obtained as part of a trade with GClarkage.

This beer was NOT what I expected at first. Of course, no one plans to pour a 22 oz. pilsner glass of head. Just for ha-has, I decided to measure... TEN fingers! Quite amusing.

The aroma was definitely of dark wheat malt... also day-old bread, and acidic fruitiness. A definite yeastiness was there.

The taste was of slightly sweet, heavily carbonated wheat, with bananas, cloves, and yeast. The alcohol was present at the first sip.

I don't know exactly what I expected... I think I presumed it would be darker. It was good, but not as wonderful as I presumed it would be.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Half Litre bottle, poured into over sized wine glass

A: Very dark amber, opaque, retained some of the one finger head, initially lots of lacing but faded.

S: Yeast, wheat, candy sugar, fruit, apple.

T: So many layers, wheat, fudge, banana, molasses, initial booze burn faded to the point where it was undetectable, cocoa like bitterness at the finish.

M: Heavy body, thick texture, smooth, moderate carbonation.

O: A sipper, holds up against moderate Belgian offerings, second half went down much faster than the first.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Sampled on tap at Tyler's in Apex, NC.

A - Copper with a reddish tinge and good clarity. Very little head.

S - Malty and earthy with some cherries.

T - Very complex flavor. Starts slightly tart with cherries and quickly goes sweet and syrupy with a very earthy, malty tone. This was my first time having it on tap and I found it much different than in the bottle. Not necessarily better but certainly much more complex.

M - Low carbonation with a good, thick consistency. Almost chewy.

D - A bit rich to have more than one but very good.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Spotted this among all the weiss beer at a local beer stop...

Dark and cloudy beer, looks a lot like root beer, but with cloudiness...massive amounts of yeast and sediment at the end of a pour. Tan off colored head that receeds quickly to leaves a small amount around the ring of the glass...no lacing noted.

A definite fruity malty odor to this one that was pleasing to say the least

tastes of sweet raisins on the initial swig followed by that 8% ABV kick and then some very balanced malts.

A nice feel in the mouth, the carbonation is just about right.

Would make a nice dinner beer to say the least, but a bit too sweet and strong to pound more than 1 or 2 in a sitting.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

It's a very dark and murky brown color with a moderate tan head which leaves a nice coating. Aroma consists of raisins, bananas, faint alcohol....flavors in this beer are very much ripe fruit and faint alcohol as it warms. Quite an enjoyable and full-bodied brew. I don't think I could have more than one though.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a two finger light caramel head. Dark brown red and cloudy. Smell frutiy and caramel wafting up from the glass, but to the nose it's quite clovey with banana.

Tastes clovey with an underlying malt sweet and some banana fruity. Mild caramel and smooth sweet. Cinamon and touch of dark fruits. Decent, but nothing that's knocking my socks off. What's all the fuss?

Delciously smooth lucious body. Md-heavy carbonation and md liquid.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Sept. 9, 2008. Poured from bottle into glass.

Appearance - Very cloudy reddish-brown. Small head, disappears almost immediately. Lots of activity beneath the surface.

Smell - Strong wheat-beer smell. Fruity aroma. Alcohol detected.

Taste - Smooth. No strong alcohol taste up front, slightly heavy on the finish. Definitely tasting the "Bock". Not a light refreshment like a Hefeweizen. Very enjoyable though.

Mouthfeel - Coats the tongue. Lasting alcohol on the breath. Not unpleasant yet.

Drinkability - Very enjoyable as a sipping beer. Not unlike a stout in that way. I can really feel it though. The 8.2% is immediately evident.

Overall - I like it. I have enjoyed a lot of Schneider beers before. Would drink again. I would really consider aging this a bit to see if that would take the edge off the alcohol.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

Poured a medium hazy brown with a very large off-white fizzy head that dissapated rapidly and had no poor lacing. The aroma was complex with a dark chocolate malt and a sweet earthy yeast that had notes of clove, banana, vanilla and a mild alcohol scent. It tasted sweet and acidic with a mild hint of banana and chocolate in the begining and the become mildly sweet with a yeasty-sour flavor that had a nice spiciness at the finish with the flavor lasting only a short time. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and watery in texture with a lively carbonation. Overall an awesome wheat/bock beer, in fact I think I will just have to drink another.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

A - Pours a deep brown colour with an inch or so of off white head that slowly falls away.
S - Dark fruits, some caramel. Some slight spice & alcohol notes.
T - Like the smell the caramel and dark fruit is most present with a clove spice note being a lot more noticeable as well.
M - Quite full bodied with a medium carbonation.
D - A nice beer for sure. Not something I'd drink often but once in a while wouldn't be bad.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a thick brown with a white, fluffy, creamy head that left a slippery residue on my lips.

Smell was intense. Malty rich with cinnamon and other spices (similar to a Belgian Quad).

Taste was similar to smell but less intense than anticipated.

Body was somewhat thinner than expected.

A good beer overall but it fell short of my expectations.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up this purported best Weizenbock in the world tonight for a cool $4.39. I'm sure it's half that price or less in Germany. 8.2% ABV confirmed. 1 pint .9 fl oz brown glass bottle with sophisticated label art and white branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its country of origin, traditional brewing methods, the style (coupled with the country of origin), and its current ratings. Bottle fermented. When I acquired it earlier tonight, it was in the store's refrigerated section - which makes me feel at ease even if there isn't a best before date. Besides, I doubt a fairly old weizenbock would drink poorly.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a massive head - 90% of the glass and about 8 fingers in thickness. Appearance is beautiful with a soft frothy complexion - gorgeously smooth and seemingly refined. One of the best heads I've seen in ages. Lacing is perfect, coating the sides of the glass evenly and consistently as the head slowly recedes. Retention is incredible for the ABV - about 10+ minutes. I won't be waiting that long to sip it given how inviting it appears.

The body colour is less exciting than the head. It's a dark nontransparent caramel-brown. Slight translucence, but it largely blocks out light. Solid. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Carbonation seems perfect; the bottle conditioning seems to be a success. Hugely excited to try this.

Sm: Lovely nutty notes. Intoxicating bready malts. An amazing rustic wheat backbone. Fresh alive biscuity yeast redolent of vitamins and fermented grains. Fuck that wheat is lovely. Extremely subtle hints of vague dark fruit; not prune or date or most of the dark fruits you'd expect from something like a good quadrupel - more bright cherry, ripe plum, and dark apple skin. The plum in particular comes through more as it warms. Clove spice. A magnificent aroma for the style. Moderate in strength, with impressive subtlety. I can't wait to try it. Any hopping is minimal in strength and floral in character. No alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Shocked the plum comes through as much - and as well - as it does. The clove note is majestic here, very evocative and fresh. There's no artifice here; this beer tastes as natural as can be. Carbonation is downright perfect. The wheat foundation at the core of the flavour profile is refreshing and perfectly guides the central focus of the beer - refreshing qualities meeting deep diverse flavour - whilst holding everything in balance and lending it a natural sense of cohesion. Hints of biscuity malts lend it a bit more body and accentuate the spicy clove. Lightly nutty. No alcohol is detectable.

The mouthfeel features delightful smoothness and wetness which keeps the beer refreshing in spite of its high alcohol - which isn't at all noticeable - and its "dark" character - which is flavorful but never overbearing. Presentation on the palate is excellent. Body is excellent. Thickness is excellent. There's just enough dryness to coax out the flavours more, but I would like more coarseness to complement. Shockingly light and pleasant on the palate for the style/ABV.

I do get some nice biscuity yeast notes, which also add a dash of spice (and are probably the source of the clove notes to boot)

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the high ABV and style. I'd definitely get this again, preferably a litre's worth fresh on-draught in classic German fashion. For my money, it's certainly one of the - if not the - best beers in the style. Pretty well priced as an import. Special in my mind; I don't have many traditional German beers that evoke notes of plum - or dark fruit at all. I'd recommend it to friends. Makes me more interested in this brewery.

All of the above said, it may be the best beer I've had in the style, but it still doesn't hit the upper echelons of wow-dom. It's a damn good beer, but it's not blowing my mind. As such, it doesn't quite cross into my upper ratings; an A- or higher has to be truly great and I don't give such ratings out lightly. There's room for improvement here in spite of its high quality. I remain optimistic that there's an even better weizenbock out there, but this will be stiff competition. Incredibly well-executed stuff.

B+

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

I recently tried a few weizenbocks and did a little comparing, this was a good weizenbock, but a little heavy for my taste. This poured a hazy dark brown with a tall off-white head. Smells of wheat banana and clove. Taste is similar, but included some malts. Mouthfeel was thick, too think for my taste. The heavy feel really brought down the drinkability. This is a good beer, but I would suggest checking out some others too.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured from 1 pint 9fl oz bottle into an over-sized wine glass. Firm pour yielded one finger of pure brilliant white head, that contrasts dramatically with the Starbucks brown body. Head fades quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose- slightly burnt nuttiness, caramel, notes of coffee.

Palate- Interesting, not what I was expecting. Almost porter-esque. Some dark fruit, dates, raisins, plums. As it warms it really develops. Chewy raisin. Some elements of a Belgian Quad. Dates, Alcohol. Very smooth and clean. I enjoy how some elements of a heffe come through initially, and are followed by light caramels and brooding dark fruits. Complex, each sip seems a little different.

Mouthfeel- Slick, smooth and clean.

Drinkability- Very good. Probably could not have more then 2.

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Split a bottled pint between a snifter and a stein. More head in the snifter. Very murky.

Nose is dark fruit and sour

Taste is the same. Cherries, soured grapes. Bananas. Nuts. Brandy. Red Ale reminiscent. Breadier in the stein.

Mouth is rough. Demands you slow and contemplate. Well done, nature.

World class indeed. For fans of oud bruin, flanders red ale, doppelbock, and, of course weizenbock. Drink slow. Savor this king.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

For one of the few times in my misbegotten life, I am scared! This is a huge beer and my Honey-Honey is nowhere around.

Well, now, I have a finger of light-tan head with decent retention in light of the heat and humidity. Color was a slightly hazy deep amber. Nose smelled heavily of red grapes, like a preparation for wine and now I was shaking! Mouthfeel was smooth and the nose had nothing to do with it. This was a semi-sweet beer with an alcohol content that would put any of us on the road to perdition. Finish was deadly smooth and all of a sudden, I felt the urge to operate heavy machinery. This may be the devil's work!

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Nice thick foamy head, light tan in color, a little overcarbonated though. There's definitely some alcohol present in the aroma, mixed in with some yeast and banana. The liquid has a creamy brown color to it. The alcohol aroma carrys over into the taste, and ends up as a warm feeling in you belly. The taste is just a little bit sweet, with maybe a little caramelized banana in there. Strong, but smooth beer, maybe more of a fall beer than a summer one.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

a - Pours an attractive dark, clear brown. Very little head or lacing to speak of.

s - smells of banana, clove, rasin, fig, grape, and a bit of soy

t - all the crazy yeasty flavors as the smell would indicate. not so much of a soy thing going on in the taste thankfully

m - nice prickly mouthfeel with a sticky finish

d - relatively drinkable but I certainly couldn't pound these. I think you can taste all of the 8% abv.

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

2009 vintage. Pretty dark pour, not too much head, looks almost like a trendy hard root beer. Tons of alcohol esters coming from the nose, very sweet with a black grape must aroma as well as moist fig and cola. A lot of that carries over to the taste profile, with the cola flavor being surpringly noticeable. Dark fruit (date, raisin) weaving around with the alcohol esthers gives it a high booze taste. Very little perceptible hops or malt but thats not surprising given the style and age, though there are some caramel malt flavors in it. Thin mouthfeel, almost watery. I havent had too many weizenbocks so I was taken aback that it wasn't as malty and hefty as some German beer, but it definitely is a good beer and should be tried once.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Very nice appearance with a clear amber color capped with a huge creamy white head.

The typical weizen clove phenolic is evident in the aroma, but competes for attention with a fruity/candy kind of sweetness.

Bubble-gum sweet flavor with some alcohol undertones. No discernible hop, and settles gently into a sweet, slightly spicy finish.

Brutally carbonated, but that is in the style. Medium to med-full body, with minimal alcohol warming - alcohol character very well controlled for an 8% ABV beer. No astringency, and very nice on the tongue in general.

I personally wouldn't throw back a bunch of these (too sweet, and too much alcohol), but a pleasant to drink, big wheat beer.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

pint bottle into an imperial pint glass. Pours a very cloudy brown with a nice head. Sweet malty smell with some bread smell. Bananas and malt in the taste. Nice carbonation, crisp mouthfeel. Strong alcohol is very well masked. As good in the style as I have had.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Love the purple label, makes the bottle stick out on a shelf. This pours a dark ruby color with slightly off white head that just billows in my hefe glass. Just from the 16.9 oz. bottle it felt like I had to do a Guinness pour just to get the whole damn bottle in the glass. Good off the bat. The smell has a whisk of alcohol to it already and this is dead "bock" cold, and it shows in the taste right after the immediate sip is taken. Has alot of character to it underneath though, its just the alcohol masks it fairly heavily unfortunately... ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE WHEAT INFLUENCE!!! The mouthfeel is quite good, and makes for an interesting mix of wheat ale character and bock sweetness. A very interesting beer, however not my style. Well...not yet at least. I recommend it as something every BA should try.