1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Reviews: 1963

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,338 | Reviews: 1,963 | Show All Ratings:
stckhndlr

1.73/5  rDev -60.1%

A- A good 3-4 finger sea foam head. White and creamy. A dark red tan colored beer. A little cloudy with some carbonation rising from the bottom. Head has a lot of staying power. Hangs around for a while. Good lacing as a result of the thick foam.

S- Smells like a mix between prunes and mildew. You can almost smell the carbonation burn your nostrils. Yeasty.

T- At first there is a yeasty foot taste to it. Every other sip there's a quick hit of dark figs and sweet dark fruit. Major taste of alcohol. The aftertaste is just a sour flavor.

M- Lots of carbonation that just overpowers the whole beer.

O- Some beers I have had in the past tend to get better as they get closer to the bottom. I poured out the first half of the beer and poured the second half of the bottle. No such luck. Just as unpleasant as the first half. Could not finish this one.

03-28-2011 22:50:07 | More by stckhndlr
mikeyv35

2.2/5  rDev -49.3%

This beer was tasted on 11/24/08, a 500ml. bottle out of a Duvel tulip glass. The beer was bottled on the 109th day of 2008. Initial appearance was a beauiful reddish-brown amber colour with a mouth watering 2 finger cream head. Unfortunately the smell and taste did not compare to the look. All I could smell was active yeast which overwhelmed any other flavours the beer might have had. The taste was the same yeast, yeast, and more yeast. I would say at least for me the beer is not very drinkable considering it was the first beer that I have poured in a long time. Not a big fan of German beer styles though, more of a Belgian guy, so I hope this brew will improve with more age. Overall, at this point of bottle ageing was very disappointed by this brew which is listed on BA's top 100 list.

11-25-2008 08:24:46 | More by mikeyv35
industrialswill

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -49.3%

I've heard so much about this one, thought it was high time to give it a shot.
Appearance is good, looks just like any dopplebock I've had.
The smell, well this is where we get off to a bad start. It's got a musky, mildewy smell like you get from a poorly kept men's locker room.
At best it tastes like rotten prunes spiked with acetone.
Let's just call this stuff, "Rotten Prune Punch", for lack of a better term.
I lived in Germany for 2 years many years ago, drank many a dopplebock and this junk wouldn't make it past first base.
I'm highly disappointed, but that's the chances you take in this "hobby".

12-09-2010 02:21:53 | More by industrialswill
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.25/5  rDev -48.2%

Dark brown pour, not particularly thick. Smell, a wallop of alcohol, and a bunch of dark fruit.

Taste, geez, this is not my thing. Tastes like a high alcohol brown ale, with all kinds of fig, raisin, dates type of flavor, throw in some tobacco and rubbing alcohol too.

Can't appreciate the mouthfeel or drinkability of a beer that is so disagreeable. Strong, sure, but good? No. This tastes like a big hodgepodge of contradictory flavors.

01-14-2010 18:51:06 | More by Beerandraiderfan
donmonkey1

Tennessee

2.35/5  rDev -45.9%

Appearance: Head recedes quick and leaves the glass looking like a glass of Coke.

Smell: Straight Molasses

Taste: Molasses and alcohol. A LOT of alcohol. No complexity here.

Mouthfeel: like water

drinkability: The alcohol is just too extreme to enjoy more than one.

03-29-2009 00:45:13 | More by donmonkey1
bobhits

Kentucky

2.38/5  rDev -45.2%

Dirty brown, no clarity, thin head, some legs, but not much lacing.

Bannas, cloves, wheat, vanilla, sweet skicky malt.

Sour considering the style…really sour. I really don’t know how to describe what I’m tasting here. There’s a sweet malt flavor here, some dark roasted fruits, some rum. I am not really noticing the spices mentioned on the bottle and in other reviews. Perhaps in the rum flavors.

8.2% can be nothing, but here it dominates this beer. Ever sip bites with alcohol. There isn’t anything else to help mellow this either.

I’m completely disappointed in this one. The body is thin, lacks carbonation, the taste is a touch sour, and frankly nothing here is done well. Considering the reviews I may have simply had my expectations too high but I’ve simply had much better doppelbocks and it isn’t a style I seek out. That said this comes off like say a dark imperial hef.

I really want to score this higher, but I can't think of a reason to do so.

04-12-2011 23:16:07 | More by bobhits
GuruDel

2.45/5  rDev -43.5%

Bottle poured into tulip glass.

Pour is a dark ruby brown with garnet highlights when held to light. Fluffy white head that leaves no lacing.

smell is strong of booze and ripe grapes and spice. I got no banana at all like others have described it.

taste followed right along with spices, booze and an odd wine, grape, prune taste. Not really enjoyable and totally different from what I expected. After the initial shock of the taste, it mellowed out into a sweet brown sugar malty flavor that was nice.

mouthfeel was nice, great carbonation and left a nice but brief coating in the mouth.

overall, not for me but i will give it another shot to make sure i didnt have a bad bottle or was just having an off day.

04-05-2011 22:11:53 | More by GuruDel
schrist275

2.58/5  rDev -40.6%

Here goes….another one down the hatch, a few more of these and I wont be able to judge a thing. Anyways, the head come in a shade of off-white that is often associated with cheap white walls. The bier color is…..um….root beer candy brown. The aroma is that of a lemon/citrus hefe. Slightly off-colored from most hefe smells. It tastes like a burnt orange peel soaked in a light hefe-weizen. Brewed for the hefe lovers only, and not for the beginner hefe drinker.

01-01-2003 04:02:14 | More by schrist275
jtierney89

2.65/5  rDev -38.9%

Very dark in color, pours thick, and has an oddly bright white head for such a thick beer. Smells of dark fruits, plums, and sugar.

Up front it tastes of barley, and dates but the swallow finishes with a wheats taste which clears up the sweetness that would normally persist from such flavors, a very nice balance. Goes very well with sushi!

Nice beer overall, id definatinely give it another go

After finishing the bottle, I noticed the upfront sweetness of the beer starts to build and kit gets sweeter as you sip, not something I enjoyed

10-03-2011 22:04:17 | More by jtierney89
NJpadreFan

2.68/5  rDev -38.2%

Aventinus

Appearance- dark hazy brown with a big thick head. Had to wait a few minutes and continue pouring.
Smell- Whoa.... Pepper and cloves!!!!
Taste- watery and thin with nothing more than clove and pepper.
Mouthfeel- watery. Slight bubbly carbonation.

Overall- The first sip gives you all this clove and pepper, and just when you think the beers about to kick it up a notch... it doesn't.
A beer I could drink a few of, but not worthy of the price. Not a bad 1 but nothing special here either!!!

10-27-2005 22:28:49 | More by NJpadreFan
hotstuff

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -37.8%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a dark brown head with medium sized bubbles. The nose was that of clove and I could definitely taste the alcohol in this beer. I just couldn't acquire a taste for this beer. I thought it had a slight bitter aftertaste. To each his/her own.

07-22-2003 22:17:13 | More by hotstuff
charlesw

2.7/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

OK, this is getting to be a bit much for me. How is it possible that I find similarities in three beers in a row? The color, here, is different. But the taste... Yeah. Nutty and malty, for sure, but some of that same brown sugar taste (not the sweet part). Fine mouthfeel. I'm just not interested today. I've got to go and grab something good - to make sure that it's not just an off day for me!

12-28-2008 22:01:37 | More by charlesw
Macca

Australia

2.75/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have found that I do not like what I would term big over the top alcoholic brews and this fits that description.

Two fingers of head when poured but this quickly drops with some retention. Murky brown in colour. Aromas of dark fruit and overwhelming alcohol which persisted on the palate. The alcohol just wiped out everything else for me. Totally dominant. Perhaps better with food?

11-18-2008 10:57:53 | More by Macca
MasterSki

2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

This is the 2002 brewery-aged version. Apparently Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Bucs won the Super Bowl, and the Euro was adopted in this fine year. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Two fingers of quick-dissolving foam, over top of an attractive transparent orange-brown liquid with lots of bubbles and suspended sediment. No lace, cap, collar, nada - looks like sparkling juice or something.

S - Very vinous, but also some date, caramel, and figgy malt character. There's a touch of booziness - kind of in a rum-soaked banana way - and maybe some spice as well. It's a little reminiscent of some Kuhnhenn beers (Winter Wonder, Fourth Dementia), but not as good.

T - Yikes! Taste is incredibly bland - there's a little bit of oxidized wet cardboard character, and only the faintest bit of sweet dark fruit malt. If I had aged this on my own and it had gone downhill like this I wouldn't bother reviewing it, but because Schneider actually packages these vintages and markets them as such I have no choice but to be hard on this brew.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, kind of watery. Not offensive, but not particularly interesting either.

D - If I wanted to get drunk I could finish this, as it's actually quite bland. However, since I actually want beer that tastes good, or at least tastes like SOMETHING, my drain will be savoring this brew instead.

I will review a fresh bottle at some point in the future, but for the time being people need to be warned that the "vintage" Aventinus is pretty bad.

12-02-2009 01:08:27 | More by MasterSki
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

The new style (TAP 6) bottle.

Poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

A deep off-white head sat on top of a moody reddy/browny coloured body, lots going on as bubbles rise through the beer to replenish the head.

Sweet malty/yeasty/banana/vanilla smells.

The taste is a toxic, vibrant, fizzy mix of the aforementioned aromas, a little too sweet in my opinion with the vanilla and banana flavours coming through the most. Add a large hunk of treacle toffee into the taste arena and you've got the right amount of sweetness I found.

The alcohol is well hidden and only arrives as you finish the beer, warming the mouth nicely. I expected more from this well respected and thought of beer, too sweet for me.

04-05-2010 19:56:09 | More by BlackHaddock
jjkatter

Australia

2.85/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

0,51 l bottle poured into a pilsner glass...

A- chocolate brown with a nice full tan head that settles into a generous lace.

S- caramel and roasted barley. there is also that"I drank too much at a German bier gaarten" smell to it.

T- yep, the bier gaarten thing again. This beer is plenty sweet with caramel and brown sugar leading the way. It packs plenty of wallop at 8.2% ABV, but (for me) it drinks like a strong barley wine.

MF- sweet that finishes wet. No too impressive for me, but this is not how I like my beer. .

O- if you like sweet German beers with lots-O-kick, this is your beer. This is not what I like in a beer. On my first trip to Germany my first beer was of a similar style, which left me wondering what all the "German bier" fuss was about.

01-16-2012 09:23:23 | More by jjkatter
Quaffer

Nevada

2.9/5  rDev -33.2%

16.9 oz. Bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Dark hazy brown. Surprisingly, the thin, coarse head acted just like the head on a soda. Rose up thin and fizzed away immediately. Very heavy bead.

Smell: Green apples and chocolate were the main components. Also some light banana, lemon zest, and a good dollup of grainy wheat. Became somewhat sour on the nose after a short period of time.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin in the mouth. A little chewy, but also a little chalky. Sometimes, it had an extrememly rough bite in the back of the throat.

Taste: Heavy clove, banana, and tart fruit. Seemed very sour and not really in a good way. Like extremely over-the-top green apple, but with a chemical bite. Powdered cocoa and light wheat rounded out the flavors with some hints of yeast and a continuation of the annoying sour flavor on the finish.

I was pretty disappointed with this one. Between the almost non-existent head and the weird sour flavor, I almost thought that I had on off bottle and didn't review it. But enough of the other flavors seemed on point that I think it is supposed to taste like this.

0 for 2 with Schneider.

04-20-2004 00:07:53 | More by Quaffer
santoslhalper

2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearence: Pours a deep mohogany with a thin, quickly dissapating off-white head. Perfect clarity, loads of carbonation.

Smell: The smell is strong and spicy, with strong alcohol notes. The wheat is noticable but not upfront.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Ouch. Too sweet. The flavors that are present (nuttyness, roasted malts, cloves) are overrun and overpowered by the incredibly malty sweetness. Too much for me, it's killing me. The mouthfeel is chewy and thick.

Drinkability and Overall: It's an ok brew just not quite my cup of tea. Too sweet, too overpowering, no balance, and definitly no focus. I've not had too many Weizenbocks, but I know enough about them to realise there is much more a Weizenbock can be than this. Not bad.

07-21-2005 04:32:55 | More by santoslhalper
mdwalsh

Iowa

2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

A: Pours a great, huge head that starts to disipate pretty quickly in my 22 oz. Wiezen Glass. It is a solid brown, and when held up to light shows amber, copper and orange. The head is just of white and looks rather creamy on top with bubbles of varying size underneath. There is decent active carbonation, but not too much.

S: Smells super wheaty, and it's confusing my brain being so brown and smelling like that. I also get a malty sweetness and a sort of funk I usually associate with Belgians. There is also a candi sweetness, perhaps that's what it is, and it's just confusing me. The more I smell it, the more I get just the candi sugar.

T: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I just can't seem to get into it though. Perhaps it's a bad bottle? The taste is mildly malty sweet, but tastes more like candi sugar to me than real malt. And the wheat is just a whisp at the end, more of an after taste. I get no hops whatsoever.

M: Ok, very plain. Thin but heavy, mild or little carbonation.

D: I could see where I certain set of people would like this. Must be a bad bottle?

09-01-2009 20:48:05 | More by mdwalsh
mryuk

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

pours an unfiltered reddish brown with three fingers of creamy head that dissipated but never entirely left.

smell is sweet molasses malts with raspberry and something that reminds me of bubble gum.

taste is a bit sweet and malty and very smooth with subtle fruit. unfortunately there are undertones of bubble gum flavor for me that is just not good and it got worse as the beer went on.

mouth is medium bodied with low carbonation.

i was shocked when I opened up the BA page and saw the reviews for this one. I have never been this far below the average but I just did not like this beer at all.

04-02-2011 00:50:24 | More by mryuk
JasonA

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a distinct carmel color. Significant head, but doesnt look carbonated in the body ... at least to the degree of head.

Smells like a malty bock. Sweet, doppel, citrus? Did I mention malt? Dont really smell the abv, though there is something crisp about the smell. Is crisp a smell?

Smells much more malty than the taste. Initial is a bit uninspiring. Was expecting something more pungent considering the envigorating smell. Ending is nice. A bit malty, but nothing that catches me. Maybe Im missing something. Its a bock, yes. I guess I dont understand the style difference from other bocks.

A bit smooth, better than the carbonation looks. Like most other bocks.

I gotta go average here. This beer hasnt done much to awe me. Its a decent beer, but Im not getting the part thats going to being me back to it unless Im in Germany ;)

10-27-2007 00:34:10 | More by JasonA
pd360

Maine

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

On first sip, this beer grabbed me. I liked it right away but after a few sips the sweetness got to me. It is very thick and syrupy and all I could think of was Dr. Pepper. Once the thought of Dr. Pepper was in my head thats all I could taste and I could barely finish it. I would not get this one again.

07-05-2009 21:57:44 | More by pd360
DKight

Indiana

3.03/5  rDev -30.2%

As a Bock fan, and having enjoyed a few weat-Bocks, I thought this beer would be a great late night treat. Especially after reading the reviews on here, and seeing it somehow managed to receive an "A".

Poured into a mug from the bottle I noticed the carbonation almost as soon as I was done pouring. This beer had a mouth feel of a soda, very bubbily and not very beer like. Very wheat taste, and as I would expect from a bock there should have been some sort of maltiness, sadly this was not the case.

on another note there were some nice fruity hints in the smell, but the bitter finish ruined any pleasantness I had with this beer.

01-22-2011 00:32:01 | More by DKight
DarthMalt

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

7/17/02
What's the deal with making dark wheat beers? Aren't they supposed to be light and refreshing?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAVEAT: Not my Style

Translucent amber, with a quick, foam-rubber looking head. Tart clove nose with a deep alcohol scent, kind of reminds me of Chimay Belgians.

Definite wood tones in the mid-taste, tangy throughout, and finishes on the dry side.

Good Beer. I could live on it.

Who's the monk-looking dude?

06-18-2002 21:25:33 | More by DarthMalt
tewaris

3.05/5  rDev -29.7%

Undecipherable date code, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Surprisingly clear, brilliantly burnt brown colored, with a light tan colored huge, dense head that dissipated with soda like fizzing into a rather modest one and, surprisingly, didn't leave any lacing. At first I thought that this was going to be a great looking beer, but as it turned out, not quite.

Aroma is, simply put, magnificent: very sweet with dark caramely sweetness and fruity banana sweetness. It does remind of a doppelbock and a hefeweizen at the same time and has all the toasty-caramel notes with the banana-clove-tart hints. Brilliant.

Although not as strong as aroma, the taste is equally complex: dominated by banana-caramel flavor, with slightly tannic and slightly bitter finish. Very good until the finish that is excruciatingly sweet and cloying, making it hard to take another sip. Some alcohol helps, but still, the overly sweet aftertaste kills almost all the pleasure derived from drinking this one.

Thin body, but still somehow manages to stay around on the palate as if I drank LME. I don't get it!

If you chugged it you won't know but as it is, very tough to drink.

11-19-2010 10:24:39 | More by tewaris