Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,047 | Hads: 4,117
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will probably purchase another bottle and do this again.

Aroma initially strong, sweet phenols, stong cloves. Malts very hard to pick up. Slightly oxidized and alcohol notes.
Rolled bottle prior to opening, thus mildly cloudy (although still a fair amount of setiment on bottom of bottle). Extremely fizzy head that settles quickly and then disappears. Dark amber brown, that's slightly gold on the edges.
Flavor shows stronger presence of malts in the mix than aroma, yet phenols still dominate. Dryness appears mid to finish. Slight sherry like oxidation and alcohol flavors.
Richness gives it a heavy feeling. Highly carbonated, lends some fullness and softness. Alcohol feels excessive.
I'm really disappointed. Phenol qualities dominated so much that I couldn't pickup enough malt. (795 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

One of my first beers of this type. Hard to forget.

Once I liked it extremely for the exciting taste.

Now, it is a bit too sweet for me. Only when it is very cold outside, just one bottle of this is perfect.

The aroma is crazy. Very intense banana and clove. Additional very strong sweet malty aroma.

The taste is very intense and sweet.

Due to high abv. and sugar content it gets fast to the head. (403 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice color of amber... good... slightly cloudy, with a decent ring left, not a lot of head. Smells like it should. Taste pretty freaking good. Malty, sweet, hints of something I can't put my finger on... Fairly easy to drink. I'd drink a couple. (250 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 5/11/12

Appearance: Hazy brown/dark amber body - mostly clear - fizzy, off-white head that fades to a nice ring but leaves minimal lacing

Smell: Holy banana bubblegum, Batman! - unexpectedly yeasty with a ton of ripe bananas, bubblegum, and clove - below the cloud of yeast, malts are actually interesting - wheat, roasted malts, chocolate, and some darker fruits, and some lighter fruits - very fruity overall

Taste: Yeasty dark fruits, dusted with chocolate - clove, banana, and a ton of fruity esters - some alcohol - malts are on the sweet side, lots of caramelized sugar, a little roasted, some chocolate, lots of fruits (especially raisins) - funky wheat, very lightly bitter, borderline sugary, some spices - at room temperature, the flavor really starts to become dominated by alcohol and yeast (not ideal)

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nicely carbonated, a touch of chewiness

Overall: Very interesting, not amazing

This is definitely different than I expected. But then again, this is my first Weizenbock... This kind of tastes like a yeasty, more alcoholic German Hefeweizen with some touches of funk and chocolate. Interesting, but it's a little too yeasty with too much alcohol flavor, especially by the end of the bottle. (1,256 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dense, dark brown pour providing a light head with some dark speckles. Sort of like a cocoa.

Aromas were slightly nutty with hints of sweet fig and smokiness.

The Aventinus tasted similar to how it smelled. A little earthy and bean-like with a bold smoky finish. A hair of sweetness adds a nice touch.

Intensity was very forgiving given the potency. A very smooth tasting weizenbock with rich, lively feel. (411 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark chestnut with a violet tinge in the light. Opaque with a half a finger and a half of head that dissipates to a very thin layer that doesn't quite cover the top. Lots of banana kick off the aroma with some clove and pepper, backed with a caramely malt with a little tinge of copper. Surprisingly Belgian Double-ish. Very smooth flavor. Caramel is the backbone with sweet chocolate and estery lightness. Banana and spices are there, but a bit muted from the aroma. Feel is a lot lighter than I expected. This ends lighter than it starts, which is something I've never experienced. Dry finish.

Very interesting. I'd like to try this aged a few years. I had the Eisbock and thought it was too heavy, but this is surprisingly light and more complex. Will try again. (774 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

I originally sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer has a very nice, complex aroma when poured. It's nice frothy head dies down quickly. It's dark amber in color w/ a flavor of cloves w/ hints of banana. It's a nice beer, but for my taste, it's nothing too exciting. At $3US a bottle, I won't get it again, not that it's bad tasting, it doesn't justify the cost for me. (414 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

Thick head with lacy bubbles on a hazy caramel colored beer. Strong straw-like yeasty smell, laced with plums, banana, and rum-alcohol. Thick and syrupy on the palate, with a strong earth yeast character, rich sugary plum, and heavy alcohol. Almost no bitterness of hops. Thick on the mouth, with a near perfect carbonation. All in all, perhaps a little sweet for me, a very very good beer, but a tad sweet. (407 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

This is a review for the Aventinus 2001 vintage, consumed in 2006. Basically this is the regular Aventinus, but brewed in 2001 and aged by the brewery -- which is an interesting idea, as it gives people who don't have appropriate aging spaces (such as myself) a chance to taste this beer in a more "mature" state. I tasted this beer side-by-side with a bottle of "regular" Aventinus purchased at the same time.

Pours almost the color of polished cherry wood -- quite dark and much more dark than regular Aventinus. The aroma is quite distinctive -- in this beer, the typical clove/banana/spice combo is pushed to the back of the nose, and up in front is a very sweet, candi/beet sugar type of smell. Something you'd expect more in a very dark Belgian winter ale than in a German bock. This sweetness is also present in the flavor, the complexity of which has been diminished to something cloying. I keep thinking this is what concentrated date syrup would be like. Not terribly appetizing or interesting. Mouthfeel is a bit surprising: it's a bit thinner than regular Aventinus, perhaps just a bit watery.

Overall, sad to say, I don't think aging is the best thing to do with a bottle of Aventinus. Aging has reduced the complexity of this beer, in aroma, flavor and even mouthfeel, with the only recompense being more candi-sugar-like sweetness. Not a good tradeoff. As an interesting experiment, I recommend trying this (especially alongside a bottle of regular Aventinus), but I, personally, can't imagine drinking this vintage beer without pairing it with very specific food items (the most sugary roasted sweet meats, some desserts). Worth a try but not a revelation by any means. (1,691 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A- beautiful dark copper with a huge head of foam. Great lacing

S-- The main thing I can smell is cloves

T- Nice cloves but the problem for me is that I can taste a little too much alcohol.

M- Nice creamy feel with some carbonation.

O- It's a good beer but not really for me. (280 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a deep amber brown color with a thick off-white foam head. Has a strong aroma of dark fruit. Has a yeasty clove taste with dark fruit notes on the backend. Has a thin to medium mouthfeel. Very Tasty. Not sure it will stay this high in the top 50, but a good solid brew. (275 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brewed in 2000, aged by Schneider for 3 years before release. Forms an airy beige head with very poor retention, literally fading to nill in a matter of seconds. Lacing is absent. Color is clear (when decanted, cloudy on the second pour), dark chestnut, with amber accents and medium-strong carbonation. Aroma has predominate notes of mandarin oranges, raisins, a unique funky & floral "caramel sourness", vanilla, husken Munich malt, and faint cloves. No bananas. Mouthfeel is ruddy and oxidized, otherwise smooth, with a semi-creamy consistency and buttery texture. Alcohol is not appreciated in mouthfeel, or aroma. Body is medium-dense. Taste begins with butter, caramel, toffee and cloves, followed by mandarin oranges, a brief glimpse of syrupy alcohol, and then a very brief buttery finish. The finish is fleeting and the mouthfeel disappears like water, leaving very little of itself behind.

This brew, while not as exciting to myself as most others, is balanced nicely between the sweetness of the wheat malt and the mellow hops. Comparing it to my memory of the uncellared version, I think this beer has lost it's brightness and life, and certainly it's mouthfeel, head, and lacing have suffered greatly. I give my support to the un-aged version. Still, it's a unique and otherwise very good brew. (1,310 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Wow, am I off the average BA review on this one! It looks good: cloudy, hazy, dark brown. It smells like clove, bananas, malt. The taste is ok, but this is not my favorite style of beer. I'm disappointed because the bottle says that there should be some chocolate notes, but all I'm getting is the spicy clove and banana. Now, I like bananas, but this is not my favorite taste for a beer. I like the other offering from this brewery MUCH better. Oh well, at least it gave me a pleasant buzz. (491 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%

500ml brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a Weizen glass. No dating.

A: Pours a beautiful glowing golden sunset orange with a nice cloudiness. Easy 3 fingers of off white head rises and falls slowly. No lacing.

S: Lol, I already know I'm not gonna like this much. Huge weizen yeastiness. Plenty of banana bread and clove. Fresh sour green apples. A touch of that 'soupiness' I get from weizens.

T/M: Big yeasty notes. More banana bread and clove. A white peppery spicy and a touch of cardamom(sp?). A more pronounced maltiness than in normal weizens. Body is beefed up as well with a nice creaminess.

D: This brew goes to show what frequent tastings and exploration will do to your palate. I'm still not a big fan of weizens but this was much better than I had anticipated. (794 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%

I hear this one is hard to find, so when I stumbled upon it at Surdyk's in Minneapolis I bought a couple bottles.
Extreme head on first pour, eventually settles out.
Color is like cloudy, dark, iced tea.
Sweet and earthy taste at first sip.

Some sort of brown fruit taste. (not sure which.. plum, raisin, grape?)
Imagine a box of apples and bananas that have started to ferment. That's the aroma ;)

Doesn't have the mouthfeel of my favorite wheats.
Tingly carbonation holds out for the full bottle.

Gets better as it warms. (538 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance - beer pours a dark cloudy auburn colour, very good amount of off-white fluffy head that appears to last. some very nice lacing, hard to tell carbonation levels due to cloudiness.

Smell - i can smell wheat, vanilla, nice spices and most of all banana. really well balanced.

Taste - not a bad tasting beer, found it to be less dynamic than the smell. I can pick up the banana, slightly and the spices and vanilla. Nothing comes fwd as dominant.

Mouthfeel - Very bland, nothing came through on this more than normal. little more bitterness, but not much else.

Drinkability - I gotta say, i think this was a bad beer bottle. there was nothing that stood out, even when it warmed to room temp. I am buying it again to try and see if this was just a bad bottle. (798 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

G. Schneider & Sohn - Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock 8.2% ABV.

A - Pours with a tan tight thick even head that rapidly dissipates. Color is an opaque light brown that reminds me of apple butter.. Zero lacing while drinking.

S - Has a distinct cider smell with just a hint of cloves. Quite pleasant and not overpowering.

T - This has a spicy semi-sour apple with a hint of banana taste that is very enjoyable. Cloves are definitely present. I'd like this a little better if it were just a touch on the sweet side and the clove taste was either gone or a lot less overpowering.

M- Very little bite, this is fairly smooth yielding a slightly bitter aftertaste.

D - Not really my style as I'm not a big clove fan. The cloves really took something away for me. A little too spicy for my taste. (790 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%

I picked up this beer the other day because I am trying to sample more beers of this style since they are becoming more attractive to me the more I have them.

The first time I ever had a wheat beer a few years ago I couldn't finish it, it was that bad.

Now I am liking these offerings. The appearance of this beer was quite nice, cloudy and dark, a rich copper colour. The head was perfect, building quickly and a light brown/gray colour that settled down with not too much lacing. The smell was very complex, many different things happening and really reminded me of Hoegaarden which I have really taken a liking to lately.

The taste was nice for a first try and I will follow up with a 12 pack or so to determine where this will go in my regular rotation. The comination of wheat beer and high alcohol content made it difficult to give too much of a complimentary review on my first tasting but I really think this will develop into one of my faves.

I cannot however imagine buying a 12 pack and drinking it down on a nice summer day like I would with one of my favorite pilsners.

A good first impression, I look forward to many more of these. (1,160 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While pouring Aventinus into my new weizen glass, I was stunned to see the crown rise quickly to the top. In fact, no beer was visible at first, just foam. As I type, the head is very slowly being replaced by beer. Give this one the gentlest of pours if you want to avoid a mess.

Golden brown... like freshly squeezed apple cider. The beer is hazy, almost turbid, with a torrent of carbonation rising off the bottom of the glass. The huge head is light toffee in hue and looks like it isn't going anywhere fast. Strangely enough, almost no lace sticks.

The nose is malty sweet with scents of melted caramel, apple cider, clove and light brown sugar. The beginning of each mouthful is reminiscent of sweet, fermented apples. Things then become pretty intensely dry and puckery. With warming, the spicier elements of the flavor (clove especially) come to the fore. This is probably the most clove-intensive beer that I've had yet.

The furious fizziness of the mouthfeel lessens over time, but never completely fades. The body seems fine otherwise; it's neither full nor light. Good job on masking the 8.2% ABV.

Aventinus is a bit of a letdown. I'm not sure what I expected from a weizenbock, but this wasn't it. It's a little too sour, a little too dry and way too carbonated. I'll probably give it another go sometime, since this may not have been a properly cared for bottle. (1,380 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

A_Pours a cloudy dark brown with a thick tan head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S_Mostly bananas and clove.

T_Sames as nose. Strong banana and clove presence and bread like yeasty flavor.Just a touch of heat from the alcohol.

M_Medium body and lots of carbonation.

D_Pretty easy drinking. (299 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a copper-orange with full tan head, that dissipates rapidly. I'm not a big fan of Wheat beers, and this is just a reminder why. I have tried it several times now, and I find it no better than drinkable. Way too fruity for my tastes, but it does improve as you go. Strong bannana and a bit of clove and raisin. A complex beer, if you enjoy the style you will likely find this a rewarding taste. I try to rate with the style in mind, otherwise this beer would have a very low rating from me. Its not the beer's fault I think the style tastes like ^%#@. (556 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Aventinus Weizenbock poured a plain brown color with a two finger beige head that rapidly dissipated to virtually nothing.

The aroma was bananas at first, and then after going to the kitchen spice rack, yes those are what cloves smell like.

The taste was banana, pears, prunes and caramel. I have to admit, I ate the clove I was sniffing for identification purposes (probably not the best idea), and it may have influenced (overwhelmed) the taste buds a bit.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

The drinkability was reasonably good.

Bottom line was that I'm not that impressed. If it was my fault because of the clove thing... well, my bad. Not quite sure what all the hoopla over Aventinus was about, but to each his own. (761 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

The head on this puppy is huge! It took me a few pours to get it all into my hefewiezen glass. It's pretty cool to see all of these tiny bubbles screaming from the bottom to the top of my glass. Color is a dark brown. This bottle went flat pretty quickly. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Smell is like bubble gum and then almost earthy. This is definitely a German brew.
Taste is bananas and bubble gum without much hoppiness to it. Overall pretty sweet. A really distinctive beer. Different from anything I've ever had. Not sure if this is my style though.
The 8% alcohol is hard to find here. Extremely drinkable. One 500ml bottle caught up to me quickly.
I would recommend you try this beer. (704 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%

Basically all this beer is, is spicy wheatness, combined with yeasty goodness.

A- Pours a slightly dark yellow with major haziness. A finger of head reveals not much lacing.

S- Wow yeast, yeast, and more yeast. Like a loaf of rising bread.

T- Like the smell, a lot of yeast. But also some spiciness. More sweet spiciness than intense spiciness- somewhat peppery but mostly cinnemon. Hops? I'm not really sure but I can taste bitterness which rounds out the sweet spice.

M- Great carbonation and decent creaminess, but could be better.

D- This beer has a strong taste, but it's mainly yeastiness. If there was something more complex it would be delicious, but as it is, it's hard to justify such a deliciousness. (716 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -15.5%

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about this beer. It looks like Coke, which isn't really all that appealing if you ask me. The smell is ok - at least it doesn't smell like Coke too. Taste is actually quite good. An interesting malt combination with a lot of alcohol. Great mouthfeel as well. Overall, not bad, but I'm not sure about a 'world class' rating. (363 characters)