Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

First time trying this brew, picked up a few and put them back

A - A dark chesnutty color, with a big head and some pretty long retention.

S - slight hoppy smell, but definatly some fruity, clovey, smell with a touch of yeast

T - The taste was delicious, not my favorite style of beer but enjoyed it non the less, taste lived up to the smell

M - it had a decent medium to full body taste, the head made it a little thicker tasting cause it wouldnt go away

D - Found it to be a very drinkable beer just not sure if its my style but would reccomend trying for sure

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer has a billowing white head with a yellow, hazy body. The nose has a wheaty aroma with cloves mixed it. Taste brings all of the same, with some caramel/brown sugar. Mouthfeel is appropriate - medium body and fizzy.

All in all, a very inoffensive yet tasty beer. It won't necessarily be a staple in my fridge, since I like my beer to be a little more interesting and dynamic, but this is definitely a great beer.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Have had this many times, both in draft, liter, and multiple vintages, so finally rating.

Pours a dark burgundy with some fluffy white head and solid lacing.

Aroma is some great plum and spice, along with a strong molasses and caramel.

Taste is similar to the smell with some rich dark fruit, but a ton of slightly burnt caramel leaving a little roasted bitter finish.

Very full bodied, but still super drinkable, as I have put down liters at a time. Fantastic brew.

Great example of the style, but I would say that 3-5 years is far too long to age this beer. I like the bottles fresh to a year or so.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a dark, hazy amber color with light amber highlights. Pours with a thick white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a nice thin ring that last for the duration.

Sweet smell of wheat, fruit (primarily banana), and cloves. There are also hints of yeast and caramel.

Strong tastes of fruits, spices, and wheat. There are some hints of yeast, citrus and chocolate in there, but also a slight hoppiness that was rather surprising. The aftertaste has just the slightest bit of alcohol - this beer hides it pretty well.

Lower medium in body. Great carbonation level. Feels smooth and crisp, but leaves the mouth feeling a bit dry.

Tastes good, goes down nicely, but I feel like more than one or two and the mouthfeel would really start to bug me.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured into a half liter weizen glass. The color is a very attractive dark caramel brown. Three fingers of dense, off-white head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a creamy cap that lasted throughout the glass.

Smell: Very aromatic and awesome. Immediate sweet fruit overdose -- banana and apple -- and a lot of clove spice to tickle the nostril hairs. Woooo. It also has that sinister doppelbock edge with caramel and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: A perfect balance between doppelbock and weissbier. The flavor follows the lead of the aroma. Smooth and refreshing wheat, bananas, apples, and cloves; after that comes the toasty caramel malts and alcohol warmth of doppelbock.

Drinkability: Smooth. Creamy. Thirst quenching. Orgasmic. Numbing. I don't know what else to write. My first few sips almost drove me to tears. If there is a heaven, this is no doubt on tap. This is my first experience with weizenbock, and I am without a doubt blown away. Superb.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

A: chocolated colour, deep dark brown, opaque and cloudy, with very heavy and constant carbonation, presents a head with creamy beige color with very good retention and residual

S: Aroma of caramel and wheat, acid dyes

T: Perfect sensation in the mouth, does not feel heavy at all, are perceived caramel and the characteristic flavor of wheat, with a final toast tenuous, but very long where alcohol is accentuated and feels like a strong beer

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a flute glass...

A - Pours a hazy golden brown color. Very apple cider like. A fluffy 2.5 finger eggshell white head forms and sticks around fr a while.

S - Malt sweetness right up front with some fruity notes in there as well; apple and banana being the most notable. Caramel, clove and some sweet sugary notes as well.

T - Bananas right up front with some clove and nutmeg like spices there as well. Sweet malty caramel goodness undeneath as well. Some chocolate flavors are coming out a little too.

M - Light-medium bodied with mild carbonation. A slight bite at the front of the taste and then surprisingly smooth on the palate towards the end of the sips.

D - Very easy drinking beer and surprisingly light for the style and heft of the beer style.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a tall weizen glass.

Color is dark amber, with a large wheat-colored head that lasts for quite a while before dissolving into lace that sticks to the glass.

Smells of lemon, grass and clove - it's really quite nice. I can't wait to take my first sip.

Interesting taste, not what I expected. Starts with banana bread, which I did expect. After that, I get a pruny sensation, then a very light lemon and grassy note. I'm pretty sure I like it more than I thought I would, There's a bit going on, but it all works well together.

Mouthfeel is good - it's light- to medium-bodied, with reasonable carbonation and a slightly malty finish.

I'd rate drinkabilty higher if it weren't for the 8.2% ABV, which if you drink this beer quickly like I did, makes you feel it. Darn good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Schneider Aventinus
From tap to Aventinus glass 07/28/2010

A: Thanks to Toronado SD's little Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider promo, I was served Aventinus in it's own glass, which I got to keep. It's pours a deep, cloudy, leather-brown with red hues. Even though it's dim in Toronado, no light passes through this ale. Lots of carbonation and a two-finger head. Lots of immediate lacing which seems to collapse under its own weight and doesn't stick

S: The Bavarian yeasts are very noticeable with banana and clove as the most prominent scents. Some citrus is also in there.

T: This tastes exactly like it smells with banana and clove washing over your tongue. The hops nicely balance the malty sweetness with citrus notes, leaving a perfectly clean finish. The 8% alcohol is completely hidden, even as the beer warms, but a bready, chocolaty undertone becomes noticeable. These flavors work perfect together and are remarkably balanced.

M: One of the more viscous and creamy wheat ales I've had (I've avoided wheat ales because of my dissatisfaction with a lot of the popular American varieties)
Definitely the consistency of a 'big' beer.

D: With the amazing balance it's hard to stop drinking this. I could easily drink 4 or 5 more but I have to drive home. There are enough layers of flavors to keep any beer geek interested, but I can't imagine anyone who likes beer not liking this.

Notes: Well, I think this is going to be my gateway drug to German beer. I've had a few here and there, but I find many of the American beers that call themselves 'Hefeweizens' complete boring, which led me to avoid 'real' hefeweizens, and I haven't had a wheat ale in a long time. Not to mention, when I moved to San Diego, I found Karl Strauss (which used to specialize in German-style beer) to be the weaker of the amazing local breweries (not so much anymore, Karl Strauss has really stepped up their game). Schneider Aventinus just completely converted me, thank god Toronado SD sent out their promo email. This is truly a remarkable beer - I think I'm going on a weizenbock binge, as I have been with IPA's.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 500ml bottle into tulip.

Appearance - Pours a deep dark brown, looks like chocolate on the edges, only a bit of light goes through when held up to a light. Pours with a creamy off white head. Lacing all the way down as I drink.

Smell - I can get all the smells of a german wheat. The wheat, clove and even a tiny bit of banana. What I can also find is a nice sweetness, a bit of roastiness and maybe even a little chocolate. As it warms some dark fruits can be found.

Taste - The wheat is right there, tons of wheat. The clove, banana, chocolate and fruits all come out, as the nose indicated. This is an awesome beer. There is some great wheaty sweetness and a bit of yeasty and bready malt. The fruit seems to be plum or something similar. The taste that lingers is almost caramel like.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth, carbonation is where it should be, body is thick but not chewy. Not as heavy as I thought it would be but it works well. The taste lasts awhile due to a bit of a syrupy texture.

Drinkability - You wouldn't be able to tell this was over 8% Drinks like a 5% hefe. I could drink a few bottles of this definitely. Strangely refreshing on an 82 degree night.

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Warm, comforting brown. Similar to apple cider. With a perfect pour, the once settled yeast explodes through the glass and leaves a nice, foamy head.

S - Banana, clove, citrus

T - Smooth malty taste with a complex blend of citrus notes. Perfection!

M/F - Has a thick consistency for a wheat beer. The residuum allows the flavor to stay in your mouth longer.

D - This beer is easy to drink and enjoy. For me, it's more of a summer/early fall beer. That said, I would never turn one down.

I generally try to refrain from reviewing beers that I know I love, beers that make me salivate at the mere mention of them, but sometimes I make an exception and post a completely biased and unscientific review of a beer I think is perfect. This is one of those beers.

A: A beautiful dark mahogany (I've seen Mercedes-Benz this color) that lets almost no light through. In an Aventinus glass this beer is a piece of artwork. The head comes up and over the rim of the glass and just hovers there before settling down and leaving a constant white outline on the top of the beer. I love the way the yeast creates mini-clouds inside of the beer after the initial pour before dispersing evenly throughout the beer.

S: Aventinus as the banana and clove that you'd find in a lesser weizen, but it also has hints of chocolate and dark fruits that are not only surprising to find in a weizen, but also exceptional for more traditional bocks and doppelbocks.

T: So good. I need to have a few of these on hand at all times, but I never have more than one or two a month. It is a beer that is too good to be consumed everyday. It needs to be savored and reserved for special occasions. The same dark fruit and chocolate flavors melt over the malty yeastyness that would be found in other weizens. There is a sweetness that comes out as the beer warms, but it is perfectly balanced by the hops.

M: I actually prefer the mouthfeel of Hefeweizens and Dunkelweizens to this, but it is still a wonderful thing to hold in my mouth. There is a subtle sting at the back of my throat, but otherwise this beer goes down perfectly. This is dessert in a glass.

D: Oh God does this beer go down smooth. If it wasn't for the 8%+ abv and the $4+ price tag I'd probably find more "special occasions" to enjoy this beer. As it is I think Aventinus is a perfect beer and nothing will inhibit my drinking of it.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed first bottle of this so much I wanted another to take notes on.

Poured from 500ml bottle to a wine glass.

a - pours medium-dark mahogany brown with a thick (2 finger) tan head which subsides relatively quickly. Some lacing.

s - cloves, fruits, reminiscent of a Belgian (e.g. Delirium Tremens)

t - taste of cloves, sweet fruits, caramel, and chocolate. Hits the palate kind of like a Belgian, but not too fizzy. The spice, fruit, and sweet flavors take the front seat.

m - very nice body, low carbonation so not too sharp on the tongue. Spice, fruit, and caramel flavors linger.

d - very nice beer, very easy to drink (be careful). Counting this as one of my favorites. Exceptional brew. Poured one for my wife to sample and she loved it. She's already planning to buy more as Christmas presents for the family...

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 500ML bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a mahogany, murky brown color with 2 inches of white head and moderate carbonation visibile.

s - Smells of bananas, spices, and some dark fruit and roasted malts.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, dark fruit, bananas, and spices.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - A nice weizenbock. Very easy to drink and some nice banana in the smell and taste. Would try again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

This beer pours with a thin head that disappears quickly, even after the obligatory bottle swirl to pick up any yeast deposits. No lacing to speak of.

The taste combines the banana and clove flavors from a hefeweizen with the chocolatey, malty flavors of a double bock. A very slight alcohol taste, but well-balanced and not too forward. Finishes cleanly, with a very, very mild bitterness that's pleasant.

I didn't quite know what to make of this at first -- it's almost like chocolate banana bread, if I can say that. But the more I drank, the more I liked it. I'll definitely buy this again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle. Brown copper pour with thick head. Aromas of bananas mostly with lots of chocolate. Mouthfeel is very creamy thin bubbles delivers the flavors perfectly. The aromas are perfectly delivered in the taste, banana cake with cocoa. For something so readily available this is one of the best.

A: poured dark brown with a brown highlights with a half finger head that left a little lacing on the glass.

S: I got a strong whiff of bananas with molasses which also had dark fruit and caramel notes. I also got a hint of brown sugar and some underlying booze.

T: banana also seems to dominate the taste as well but the booze is a little stronger on the palate alongside molasses, brown sugar, and slight caramel flavors.

M: medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a fruity sticky finish.

D: very drinkable beer that was actually tasty and was surprising because on the real... german brews don't really tickle my pickle.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

First time having this style.

Poured into a glass probably better suited to porter. As such, the impressive tan head with fizzy carbonation throughout faded away to nothingness. No lace, no film. The beer itself is a cloudy brown that is actually quite pretty if you hold it up to the light. The edges almost look like a hefeweizen, but with a slight purplish tint. Very nice.

Smells like roasted malts, molasses, and suggestive of flowers. Like a slightly deeper hefeweizen without the frills.

The taste is the same as the nose, to a t. There's bitterness and even some sourness up front that fades to a lingering sweetness. The sweetness enhances the roasted malt. The floral wheat flavors come and go.

Low carbonation. Probably all was gone in that head. Surprisingly light body. Would be really perfect on an early fall day when there's a little crispness in the air, because there's enough alcohol in it to provide a little warmth. Great drinkability, although as with all beer, seasonal.

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Decent-sized head, good retention and nice lacing.

S - Strong malty yeastness. Dried fruits. Sweet.

T - More dried fruits (definitely getting the banana and clove profile mentioned by most reviewers).

M - Very smooth and almost creamy. Damn you Germans make a nice beer.

D - Fairly good, if you take the 8.2% ABV into consideration.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

500mL bottle poured into a cervoise.

A - Cloudy, light mahogany beer with a tall, airy crown of tan foam.

S - Overripe banana, clove, brown sugar, raisin, and fig.

T - Phenolics and dried fruit flavors, banana bread. Light hop bitterness is mostly overshadowed by the spicy yeast.

M - Medium-full body, very soft and creamy.

D - I offer this as a challenge to everyone who says he doesn't like wheat beers. Excellent stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a weissbier glass.

This beer pours a peculiar but intruiging off brown reddish color with a decent clarity and a beautiful white foamy head that leaves nice lacing. Aroma is on point and has that banana fosters aroma of caramalized brown sugar, bananas, cinnamon, and a touch of honey. Malty and dark fruitiness on the aroma. The taste is on point with a touch of astrigenty alcohol bite on the finish. Sugary, but on point with the style. Has a nice toasted marshmallow component on the finish. Mouthfeel is very very nice as its carbonated to all hell with a semi dry finish. Drinkability is very high as well as its got a nice delicious factor and pairs well with poultry and other lighter fare meals. a definate cold fall night beer.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A: pours a dark brown with a thick head (nearly 5 fingers!) into a weizen glass with little sediment.

S: strong smell of bananas and cloves with hints of various dark fruits.

T: bananas are very evident but there are touches of raisins and caramel as well.

MF/D: a really smooth beer, not overly carbonated and pleasing to the palate (even though im not a weizen drinker). certainly didnt taste the 8.2%...

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

.5 L bottle into a weizen glass. Back label says 09.315, it's a little old, but the 8.2% should keep it good for awhile.

This one's a gusher, even without trying! Pours a nice mud brown with dense cloudiness. Four finger head of off white bubbles form and leaves great lacing. Excellent head retention and carb. As a weizen lover, I'm enamored!

Smells like a strong dunkel weizen, rich banana with a nice raisin and some sweet dark fruits. A slight brown sugar sneaks in.

Taste similar, but wow! This has an excellent potent flavor. The banana, raisin and fruit are all there, with a nice sweet caramel in the middle. As the beer warms the spices come out to frolick, cloves with some pepper. Bready malts mixed in. Delectable.

The mouthfeel is a little smoother than a normal dunkel, it's pretty sticky with only a slight carbonation tingle.

All 8.6% ABV are completely... Absent. This is extremely and dangerously drinkable. As a lover of Bavarian beers, this is fantastic! Drinks like a potent and sweet dunkel with 5% ABV. Try this!!

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

I decided to re-review this beer after having it a second time. My first review of this beer was far below the average reviewer, and I suspected it was due to a badly handled bottle. I picked up a second bottle and was impressed.

I still like the way the beer looks, but this bottle produced a much more controlled head than the previous batch. The taste was much better than I remembered. Complex and rich, its a mixture of chocolates, grains, and dark fruits. Sneaky drinkability with none of the harshness I previously noticed. Basically, its a dopplebock that drinks like a weizen... which is exactly what this style should produce.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a bottle into an Aventinus glass (coolest looking glass ever!). Amazing looking beer, as it is a dark amber towards the top, and hazy at the bottom, with about 3/4 inch of head. Very smooth and balanced smell. The taste is amazingly complex, balance like the smell with the taste of some cloves, and bananas. Excellent mouthfeel, and very drinkable, with the alcohol hidden well. Refreshing like a wheat beer, but in a manly way (if that makes any sense). It may not be the best beer I have ever had, but it is definately my favorite!