2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Reviews: 1963

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Ratings: 3,349 | Reviews: 1,963 | Show All Ratings:
99bottles

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this last weekend on tap, after much searching and seeking. Mmmm. It looked wonderful. It smelled deep and yeasty, like stacks of hucked wheat, like the soil from which it once came. It lacked the sweety, esteric character of the 'look how high our ABV is' wheat bocks, and I suppose it should. This is, so I'm told, the benchmark for a weizenbock. The nose was great, everything I expected. The appearance too, what I anticipated. The taste. Well, the taste knocked me off my bar stool and I hit the ground with such a resounding thud, I flew upwards 15,000 miles into the stratosphere of YUM. This is a seriously delicious beer. It had the wheat/yeast tone I expected, and yet there also were subtle pickerings of hop, of sticky malt, of vibrant carbonation. Sweet, but only enough to make you want more. An aftertaste you'd like to call sour, but really just readies your palette for another complex and delicious sip. The beer really surprised me. The 8.0% amazes me. It's there only because you expect it to be. It's a travesty to think that the invisible ABV hurts its drinkability. If only the availability in PA was better, I would have crowned myself a new king in Beerworld. Thank goodness for NJ. Go try. I hope the reviews aren't suffering from poor handling, but I do realize this is primarily a bottled beer in the States. I'm sure it's good in bottles, but on tap, the flavors are so intense, they last forever in the finish, and they slide gracefully across your tounge like you just ate a silk shirt dipped in axel grease. It's that good. Wow. WOW. KClinger's has it right now on tap upstairs. It's worth whatever you have to do to try it. Cheers!

-Update: Great from bottles also, but I prefer the tap.

01-07-2004 04:56:33 | More by 99bottles
counselor

Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

started out dark brown with a good head that thinned and left nice lacing through the glass (Authentic Aventinus galss at that). The smell was of nuts, cloves, and bannana. The tatse followed suit with layered flavors of butter, vanilla, and herbs. The mouthfeel was both thian and thick at times and sweet malt flavors swooshed around.

Overall it was an enjoyable beer that made me sit back and examine what was going on with the beer flavorwise, kinda mysterious - like as in what am I tasting here. Well balanced and fun to drink. I think as many people who drink it will describe it differently. A good beer to compare directly with someone else.

12-22-2003 20:17:15 | More by counselor
oggg

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Tasted on tap at the Toronado bar in the Haight in San Francisco
Served in a beautiful and curvy Aventinus glass.

The beer is dark dark brown and doesn't carry a lot of head.

Sweet malty smell, faint smell of hops

This beer has huge flavor but is so well done that it doesn't overwhelm you. The beginning is malty and chocolatey. You get that bready wheat taste along with a hint of banana and spice. Big mouthfeel. Alcohol is very subtle. I could drink pints and pints of this.

Seemed much more smooth and flavorful on tap than when I tried it in the bottle.

This beer is the king of dark wheat.

12-18-2003 04:43:06 | More by oggg
allboutbierge

Austria

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Much like a normal dunkelweizen, only with a tad more flavor and a little bit more alcohol.

Enjoyed in the festive enviroment of the Schneider Weiss tap house in Munich. Color was essentially that of any dunkel weiss, possibily with a slighter deeper brown color and more predominant orange hues. The head of the brew was extremely thick and long lasting. I bet I coudve floated a penny on the top of it (note-did not try). Flavor was particularly heavy in the aspects of bananas and even offered some notes of flat n/a apple cider. A very slight taste of alcohol could be tasted. Mouthfeel was extremely luxurious and thick. The strength of the flavors did however slightly detract from drinkability.

11-18-2003 14:54:19 | More by allboutbierge
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

This must be a rare case finding this stuff on tap - I just started getting Aventinus on tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn and I've never seen it tapped anywhere else before. I have to admit I prefer it on tap over bottled (though Aventinus Wheat is still one of my favorites in the bottle.) The color (deep brown) and flavor (fruity with a bit of cloves) are still excellent. I think the tap controls the carbonation better, cutting the head down, making it a bit heavier and giving it an even smoother mouthfeel and drinkability than the bottle. Feels a bit more like a 8.0 ABV beer on tap, and it will catch up to you after the second 16oz one, believe me.

11-08-2003 22:55:30 | More by PopeJonPaul
BierManVA

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Most reviews I've read mention heavy banana. I must say that I smelled heavyclove in this beer. Other spices as well. Very little banana in mine. Maybe this is a difference between the bottle and draft.

A somewhat filling beer, I sampled this on an extremely hot day. Two half Liters were plenty. Smooth and refreshing, I was not dissatisfied.

An obvious favorite with beer drinkers, easy to see why.

John

08-02-2003 21:54:47 | More by BierManVA
UncleJimbo

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Sampled on tap at Redbones.

This wheat-doppelbock poured a cloudy brown color with a lot of light tan foam. The smell was very fruity (bananas), which surprised me for a doppelbock, but I suppose the wheat is responsible for these esters. The taste was also dominated by the fruity banana oils, but caramel malt, yeast, and a trace of musty grape flavor came through. The mouthfeel was sweet and fruity, with medium carbonation, and medium body. This bock was very drinkable (I guess I am a sucker for fruity esters).

03-22-2003 23:26:34 | More by UncleJimbo
avylover

4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I've tried this one from the bottle too and the difference in taste/drinkability is tremendous! On tap this stuff has no business going down as easy as it does with an 8% abv and tons of taste. Cloudy orangish/brown with a nice head that dies quick..but who cares? This beer still tastes great down to the last sip! A welcome fruity taste but not overbearing by any means. Definitely bananas detected, some other slight tropical type fruit tastes. Has a slight alcohol bite to let you know what you're getting into, but really adds to the overall taste. Two twenty oz. glasses and you're feeling grand, but could easily drink many more. This is great year round and should be sought out by all!! Fantastic!!

01-10-2003 12:38:22 | More by avylover
bierman2000

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

As tasted in Munich, a wonderful, full-bodied Weizenbock. Very drinkable with a chocolaty aftertaste and very filling being that it is a Weizen. Alcohol is noticeable and makes an impact at the end of an 18 oz. glass. The beer is excellent alone or with dessert, mainly a sweeter one. Worth seeking out on draft in March in Germany.

01-09-2003 08:51:22 | More by bierman2000
Murph

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

The brew was a dark amber/ruby color with a nice yeasty haziness and a good creamy head that fades slowly. The smell was sweet with tons of fruitiness and some nice biscuity yeast. The flavor starts off with some nice sweet/tart vinous fruity flavors with some definite banana qualities and some raisins as well. There is some yeasty biscuity/bready flavors as well as a nice warming alcohol glow. The brew was very smooth and creamy and had the trademark full mouthfeel of the unfiltered wheat beers. For the strength of this brew it was amazingly drinkable. I could see myself putting away a lot of these and being very happy to do so.

07-07-2002 23:03:13 | More by Murph
WilliamPhilaPa

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice light brown / dark copper color, bit foggy / hazy. Very nice creamy head. The aroma is a fruity / banana and yeast. The taste is fruity, sweet taste; hints of bananas and cloves, touch of caramel, and some raison notes in there as well. I thought it was balanced to near perfection. Overall a excellent brew! Enjoyed this at Ludwigs Garten (in Philly) with the Bierman9 & Artied2.

07-04-2002 08:58:10 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap review from recent München trip - 11OCT02.
I had a few of these on tap at the Weisses Brauhaus in Munchen...ooooh baby!! Poured a cloudy brown, with a huge, whipped head which lasts all night. Nose has clove, yeast, banana, chocolate...oh baby! Body is medium, and it's much smoother on the tongue from the tap than the bottled-version. Flavors produced are more clove, yeast, banana, chocolate, some malt and even a hint of raisins! Has an oh-so-smooth finish. Superb!! A huge Prosit for this one!!!!

overall: 4.7
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

Bottle review of 02MAR02:
This is a real nice one!! Pretty tawny russet-brown color, a touch hazy if you swirl the yeasties in (I do!). Sizable, fine, creamy tan head sticks around a bit, leaving nice lacework!. Nose is an appetizing, fruity banana-yeasty nose, with clove and chocolate as well. Nice fruity, sweet taste; bananas and cloves are evident. Has nice body, but I wish it were just a tad less carbonated...a bit prickly on the tongue. All-in-all a very pleasurable bier! (4.5/4.5/4.5/4.0/4.5 = 4.45)
Prosit!!

03-02-2002 18:34:44 | More by Bierman9
cjgiant

District of Columbia

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Having a bottle touted as brewed in 2005, aged for 8-9 years. Having not rated in the style before, I wasn't sure I'd like it, to begin with, let alone an aged version (or maybe ill like it better).

Upon pour and what little scent I got, it reminded me of some barleywines or some Belgian dark ales. Raisin notes win out emanating from the muddy-auburn brown liquid. The taste is also of dark fruit-fig and dark brown sugar, a touch of banana and a slight tang of alcohol bite. The feel has a surprising effervescence to it, considering there was so little head or obvious carbonation in the look.

A very smooth, dark-style beer. The bitterness I normally enjoy in a beer is nicely replaced with a bite of alcohol and presumably carbonation. I expected a well-balanced beer when I saw the rating, and I wasn't disappointed.

04-18-2014 03:01:39 | More by cjgiant
Flounder57

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml bottle was poured into a hefeweizen glass.

Appearance: A two finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a slightly murky amber brown color with some vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing down the glass as the best was drank.

Smell: Bananas, cloves, spices, caramel, loaf of bread, sweetness, raisins, grassy hops, and a little chocolate.

Taste: Hey bro, that's one loaf of bread with banana, clove, spices, grass, caramel, chocolate, and a little bitterness. Very tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, chewy loaf of delicious bread, medium carbonation, and smooth. So enjoyable and delicious.

Overall: What an awesome blend of a dunkelweizen and doppelbock. This beer is such a classic and traditional to the style. I forgot how good this beer tasted. I might need to enjoy it more often.

04-06-2014 02:22:53 | More by Flounder57
mevett89

Maryland

Appearance: big dense white head and opaque dark brown body.

Aroma: big clove with wheat graininess and a bit of banana.

Taste: lots of clove and banana with sweet malt blending well with some indistinct fruity notes. A slight tartness in the aftertaste. Low hopping serves to balance - no bitterness detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy, despite a medium-high level of carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall: awesomely delicious! This is a new addition to my top five beers list. Perfection.

04-04-2014 19:38:53 | More by mevett89
Caveworm

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH is another brew recommended to me by the knockout staff at my local craft/import shop. This is my first weizenbock. Poured from the bottle into a glass stein, this brew's got a creamy,light tan head that reminds me of nitrocanned beers with a murky,clear dark brown body. The lovely head and lacing get the majority of points here.

Kind of smells like clove&spices. I can dig it.

I taste the clove&spices, along with raisins and a hint of dark chocolate. This is kind of like an alcoholic birch or root beer in all of the very best ways. Its got a subtle cracked black pepper element about it that gives the aftertaste a small bit of oomph to Tap 6, according to my palate.

Mouthfeel is nice for this dark a brew. Not too light,and certainly not syrupy or chewy; just right.

Overall an outstanding 4 for my first weizenbock. I really the fact I couldn't much pick up the higher ABV when it came to the literal act of drinking this. But this is sure a creeper type of beer& a keeper too. I will certainly buy this brew again!

03-27-2014 02:08:40 | More by Caveworm
BradC

4.74/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a ruddy cloudy brown color with at least an inch of light tan head and lots of lacing.

Flavors of banana, clove, raisins, light chocolate, a malty sweetness, the high abv is well masked.

Medium high carbonation, smooth and full bodied. A pleasure to drink.

I've not been a fan of the weizenbocks until now, this is packed with flavor.

03-25-2014 00:14:19 | More by BradC
Andrew041180

4.16/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Honestly? This is the ugliest beer I have ever poured. Like, by a long shot. It's a murky, cloudy brown. There is no lacing. The only redeeming characteristic is streaming carbonation that doesn't quit and that keeps replenishing a thin, bubbly head.

S - Really nice. Not worried about this beer anymore, despite the appearance. Nice yeasty aroma. Banana and clove. Some sweetness.

T - Follows the nose. It really covers up the strong 8.2% alcohol. Barely noticeable. Little bit of funkiness lingers on the aftertaste, but it's pleasant. I could pound a liter of this stuff, stand up, and wonder why the world was spinning.

M - Soft, with a bit of tingle. Medium-bodied and sumptuous.

O - I definitely picked the right beer. It's a great sipper and/or gulper. Lasts a long time without any kind of degrading. Refreshing, but with a little tang. Leaves me wanting more.

03-22-2014 22:31:31 | More by Andrew041180
macrosmatic

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 16.9 oz. bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Hazy brown, or more accurately - it looks almost murky. Forms a thin white head over low visible carbonation. Not particularly attractive.

S: Cloves, banana, and fruity yeast esters. Sweet malts, wheat graininess, yeasty and some brown sugar.

T: Follows the nose well. Sweet maltiness with fruity (banana, pear) yeast esters, cloves, wheat malts and a touch of brown sugar Fruity ester sweetness in the hang but still dry on the tongue with moderate alcohol sweetness.

M: Medium body, low carbonation sensation, moderate alcohol presence - but you can feel like you can taste every bit of the 8.2% ABV.

O: A very good beer. One that I've found strange - lots of Belgian dubbel characteristics, but the wheat malts definitely show up in the flavor. But quite enjoyable.

03-16-2014 23:06:04 | More by macrosmatic
DaveBar

Ontario (Canada)

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Purchased at the LCBO 500ml bottle for approx. $3.20. Served at 8dec C in a draught glass.

A- Opened well, excellent head pouring to cloudy brown. Head stays for a looong time.

S- Excellent. Clove, coriander, cinnamon and yeast through out.

T- Definitely a wheat beer. Slightly sour and bitter. Not the best wheat example out there. Alcohol is very well hidden for 8.2%

M- Not bad. Bit grainy

O- Pretty good. Not worth a second try really.

Food Pairing

This unusual wheat beer paired well with... Grilled cheese sandwiches!

Enjoy

03-16-2014 15:19:43 | More by DaveBar
Ryanm1

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 1 pint .9 oz bottle into a a tulip glass. Now the most interesting part is not what came out if the bottle but what stayed in it. At some point I had stored the bottle on its side in a wine fridge (for 3 months after buying it) and found an exorbitant amount of yeast stuck to the side of the bottle. Now to me this is a good thing keeping natural unfiltered flavor with the brew especially the Bavarian style. Unlike any other beer this was a cloudy chocolate brown color. There was large amount of white head when poured violently from the bottle. Hints of chocolate malt taste similar to the color. Has the sweetness that accompanies bocks but also the breast wheat vibe. Has a good balance between wheat and malt with an elevated abv of 8.2% which is barely noticeable to the pAlate.

Don't think I've had a beer of this style before. It seems like American craft brewers would have their work cut out for them with this style.

03-14-2014 00:14:23 | More by Ryanm1
beerdrifter

Germany

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at a great beer shop in Darmstadt, Germany, Maruhn Welt der Getränke. Cloudy chocolate brown pour with a two finger off-white head with decent retention and great lacing. Big malty, bready nose with hints of banana, cloves, chocolate, dark fruits, brown sugar, licorice, and caramel. The taste is rich and bold with tons of malty sweet brown bread. banana, plums, caramel, cloves, tobacco, chocolate, anise, apple skin, and some nice subtle citrus hop notes. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with prickly carbonation and a creamy and slightly oily finish. Overall, another great offering from Schneider Weisse. Kicking myself for living in Germany all these years and not giving Weizens a second chance. Will definitely have this stocked in my beer fridge in the future!

03-04-2014 17:39:35 | More by beerdrifter
KFBR392

4.29/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Head of about three fingers on the pour which was certainly present while drinking. Dark brown color. Above average active carbonation in the glass while drinking.

Smell: Medium to darker fruits explode on the front. Semi-sweet malt body. Undertones of cloves and peppery spices add extra levels of complexity. Buttery doughy malt presence really makes this a bright, breathable aroma.

Taste: Huge fruity front of plums, bananas, and purple grapes. Bright buttery bread character warms up in the body with a potent undertone of exotic spices. Waves and waves of fruit continue to wash over the palate long after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Plums and bright malt character leave a mouth watering sweetness behind on the palate. So incredibly easy drinking for a brew coming in at 8.2% abv. Carbonation plays along perfectly with this brew by bringing out some of the brighter tones.

Overall: tough to put this one down even for a second. Mouth watering fruits and rounded malt character are the highlights. The spices are present but very subtle in a complimentary role.

02-25-2014 03:22:21 | More by KFBR392
cambabeer

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy brown color, visible yeast floaters at the bottom. Off white head and lace, not too thick. Not a very dark brown, somewhat hazy.

A very fruity smell, bananas and raisins. Somewhat spicy and sweet, obvious alcohol in the nose. Somewhat caramelized sugary.

Sweet toward the beginning, like the fruity smell, bananas and some warming alcohol. Becomes a little spiced with a small bit of hop characteristic. The malt bitterness does well to balance the sweetness. Somewhat wood like. Very obvious wheat malt character.

Definitely a great beer. Heavy and perfect for sipping on slowly. A really good example of a German style.

02-22-2014 19:16:40 | More by cambabeer
dar482

4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Comes in very dark brown. In the light, it’s an extremely deep rich ruby.

Aroma has white grape raisins, sharp light dried fruit, like apricot. Some light breadiness. Sweet toffee, caramel, and ripe banana and a good amount of clove and spice.

The flavor follows of raisin bread and fruit cake. Super sweet ripe banana and caramel sweetness. There's lots of spice, almost like winter spice. Clove, all spice, star anise.. Sweet juicy plum. The beer finishes off clean and gentle with tons of the carbonation.

Alcohol is completely hidden. A really flavorful and delicious drinking beer with lots of uplifting carbonation.

(The purple label is discontinued. It should now be the white label with "Tap 6.")

02-22-2014 06:50:47 | More by dar482