2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Reviews: 1963

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,350 | Reviews: 1,963 | Show All Ratings:
99bottles

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this last weekend on tap, after much searching and seeking. Mmmm. It looked wonderful. It smelled deep and yeasty, like stacks of hucked wheat, like the soil from which it once came. It lacked the sweety, esteric character of the 'look how high our ABV is' wheat bocks, and I suppose it should. This is, so I'm told, the benchmark for a weizenbock. The nose was great, everything I expected. The appearance too, what I anticipated. The taste. Well, the taste knocked me off my bar stool and I hit the ground with such a resounding thud, I flew upwards 15,000 miles into the stratosphere of YUM. This is a seriously delicious beer. It had the wheat/yeast tone I expected, and yet there also were subtle pickerings of hop, of sticky malt, of vibrant carbonation. Sweet, but only enough to make you want more. An aftertaste you'd like to call sour, but really just readies your palette for another complex and delicious sip. The beer really surprised me. The 8.0% amazes me. It's there only because you expect it to be. It's a travesty to think that the invisible ABV hurts its drinkability. If only the availability in PA was better, I would have crowned myself a new king in Beerworld. Thank goodness for NJ. Go try. I hope the reviews aren't suffering from poor handling, but I do realize this is primarily a bottled beer in the States. I'm sure it's good in bottles, but on tap, the flavors are so intense, they last forever in the finish, and they slide gracefully across your tounge like you just ate a silk shirt dipped in axel grease. It's that good. Wow. WOW. KClinger's has it right now on tap upstairs. It's worth whatever you have to do to try it. Cheers!

-Update: Great from bottles also, but I prefer the tap.

01-07-2004 04:56:33 | More by 99bottles
daledeee

Iowa

4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I like German beer. I like strong German beer. I love strong, limited edition, German beer.

This beer comes packaged in a paper cover with dated events from 1999. It has a little tag on it. There were only 240 cases of this. I have been able to get 2 bottles. This beer makes a case for cellaered beer.

Imagine Aventinus. Then imagine Aventinus with less sweetness more balance and one of the smoothest taste you will ever experience. I can't say enough about this. Ecstasy is the word. Rivals any beer I have ever had.

01-01-2004 22:51:07 | More by daledeee
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

While weizens are not my favorite style I was intrigued by the "doppelbock" aspect of this particular brew.Pours a hazy amber brown color with a very nice head that slowly receeded.Little or no lacing left on the glass.Very grassy aroma-spicy,cloves,yeasty.Yeasty comes thru in the flavor-some phenols,sourness.Very pleasant mouthfeel-full bodied and high level of carbonation.Slight "puckering" effect which I like.Overall a very nice beer-wouldnt be my first choice but is a great change from the stout,IPA,amber,etc routine that the average beer drinker consumes.I'd have another.

12-28-2003 04:25:08 | More by lackenhauser
CRJMellor

Arkansas

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Pours a dark brown with tan highlights and big, thick white head that dies down quickly. First aroma is citrus hops. 2nd aroma is complex toffee malts in the mid-range. Flavor is somewhat sour and fruity with a dark malt kicker; raisins come to mind. Fee in the mouth is very lively and sweet followed by spice, very satisfying. Even though it is somewhat dry this beer is very thirst-quenching. Relativly high alocohol is hidden very well.

(This is my desert island beer and has been for awhile, interesting to actually write a review.)

12-25-2003 06:19:05 | More by CRJMellor
kwalters

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

I typically am luke warm when it comes to weizen/weiss beers. I've heard a lot of good things about Aventinus so I picked up a pint and gave it a try.

I'm not sure if the bottle got shaken up a bit on the car ride home from the store, but this beer poured with the biggest head I've ever seen. It was an off-white, light, beautiful foam. The beer beneath the head had a deep brown color with hints of amber.

The taste was just a bit less appealing than the appearance. I tasted hints of chocolate and spice and was left with an overall sweet taste. The typical grainy, wheat taste was also very noticeable, but not offensive as it has been for me in other weizen beers. Overall, this is the best weizen beer I've ever had and I'll not hesitate to pick up another.

12-23-2003 15:03:51 | More by kwalters
counselor

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

started out dark brown with a good head that thinned and left nice lacing through the glass (Authentic Aventinus galss at that). The smell was of nuts, cloves, and bannana. The tatse followed suit with layered flavors of butter, vanilla, and herbs. The mouthfeel was both thian and thick at times and sweet malt flavors swooshed around.

Overall it was an enjoyable beer that made me sit back and examine what was going on with the beer flavorwise, kinda mysterious - like as in what am I tasting here. Well balanced and fun to drink. I think as many people who drink it will describe it differently. A good beer to compare directly with someone else.

12-22-2003 20:17:15 | More by counselor
oggg

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Tasted on tap at the Toronado bar in the Haight in San Francisco
Served in a beautiful and curvy Aventinus glass.

The beer is dark dark brown and doesn't carry a lot of head.

Sweet malty smell, faint smell of hops

This beer has huge flavor but is so well done that it doesn't overwhelm you. The beginning is malty and chocolatey. You get that bready wheat taste along with a hint of banana and spice. Big mouthfeel. Alcohol is very subtle. I could drink pints and pints of this.

Seemed much more smooth and flavorful on tap than when I tried it in the bottle.

This beer is the king of dark wheat.

12-18-2003 04:43:06 | More by oggg
francisweizen

Arizona

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

2000 Vintage, caved aged for 36 months in Aventinus' ice cave in Germany. The appearance is very similar, if not the same as regular Aventinus. A dark, yeasty, murky brown colour with a humungous tan/beige head of foam. If swirled or allowed to garner up a big head, the aromas of this are also very similar to the regular Aventinus. I smell cloves, various fruits and esters, slight spicy alcohol, a bit of malt, and very, very slight floral hops. The aromas are actually a bit more well integrated than the aromas of the regular Aventinus, but at the same time, they are also less pronounces/pungent and complex. The taste is more subdued than that wild-fresh Aventinus, but all of the same major flavor hints are still there. Slight bitter-sweet chocolate, dark fruits, german yeast, malt and hops, alcoholic spiciness, and spicy clove hints. The mouthfeel is a bit creamier and more smooth in the mouth than fresh Aventinus and the drinkability is excellent for an 8.0%ABV wheat beer. Please remember to serve this cool, not cold at cellar temperature, because this is were Aventinus is at it's best. Since these 99 and 2000 reserve bottles have been aged in an ice cave for 36 months, they should be served straight from you ice cave (ie: cellar) or brought up to cellar temp, by sitting in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.

12-17-2003 17:23:58 | More by francisweizen
NearerMyBeerToMe

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours with a big, fizzy head of large, airy white bubbles that quickly dissipates into nothing at all! (BTW I had not cleaned my tasting glass with detergent, or a towel, so I'm at a loss as to why there's no head... what a downer!) The beer itself is well-carbonated, though, with plenty of streamers rising through a light-chestnut colored brew with highlights that border on amber. Immediately weizeny aroma up front, with the distinctive refreshing, near-citrus tartness; there follows a banana-bread mealiness in the middle; with toffee malt rounding out the back. Flavor is of clove and slight cinnamon; sour-wheaty with suggestions of bubblegum and melon in the midpalate with spicy clove; highlights of raisin and white grapes. And oh yeah, a lot more clove--so much that it almost borders on black pepper. If you don't like clove, then forget it. Mouthfeel is spicily dry, effervescent, champagney with more peppery tingle; yet somehow quenching in the back of the throat. This combination of spiciness and quenching character infers a high drinkability. I could drink this in session if I wasn't feeling the alcohol already... I might try this again to see if the "appearance" score goes up a bit, but for now let's just say I didn't get as much out of this beer as I had hoped.

12-16-2003 23:14:18 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
OatmattStout

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Vintage 2000: Ice cellar aged RESERVE

Really nice thick and pillowy tan head with tiny clean bubbles. Not much lacing but nice retention. Nice cloudy nut brown color from the yeast. The nose was of raisins, bananas and cloves and very appetizing. Mouth feel was smooth and full and enveloped my tough with flavors. Big flavors of clove, banana, dried sweet fruits and sweet malt. It has a mild wheaty acidic and spicy bite in the end that really finishes nicely. Also some hints of port, vanilla and anise somehow all mixed in this incredible creation..

Overall a superb brew and even smoother and more refined after aging.

12-16-2003 22:33:34 | More by OatmattStout
WaltTrombone

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer poured a dark brown, with a fizzy tan head. Aromas were malt, caramel, smoke, grapefruit. There were many flavors, truly a complex beer! Malt, caramel, cherry, chocolate, orange, grapefruit, peach, clove, cinnamon, and sugar. 8%ABV is well hidden. The mouthfeel was smooth and light, with mild carbonation. The finish was smooth, with malt sweetness predominant.

I can see why this is on the Top 50 list; it's got that perfect combination of well-blended, yet complex flavors. Prosit!

12-11-2003 16:03:51 | More by WaltTrombone
alexgash

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I couldn't remember the last time I'd had this, but I figured that since I was bottling my own weizenbock today, I should drink this purple beast. Pours a murky dark brown (with a reddish tinge) with a towering tan head. Smell: rich vinuous character with sweet hints of bubblegum, some banana, and hint of alcohol. Taste is tangy champagne banana wheat bread. Acidic, yeasty, sour apples, some clove. Finish is wheat bitter with lingering banana yogurt and alcohol. Delicious. Big and uncompromising, yet utterly drinkable. I can only hope my brew turns out one third as good!

12-08-2003 18:43:29 | More by alexgash
AbePhroman

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Bought a 1pt .9oz bottle for $2.49. Totally worth it for this amazing beer. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. It's not often that I give a 5 for taste but this one deserves every point. Poured a cloudy brown hue. Very nice fizzy head with good lacing. Very spicy smell. Can smell the wheat and malts right away. Tastes amazing. Not sure how anyone can give this less than a 4.5. I gave it a five. Wonderful weizenbock. Yummy malts and fruity spices. 8% is a decent amount of alcohol. Goes very well with almost any meal. Try it out. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

12-08-2003 05:42:26 | More by AbePhroman
tavernjef

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Reddish dark brown with a gem-like glow, substantially tall evenly bubbled light tan head, frothy topped and whipped with a few divets and little sparkly specks within the foam. Fades slowly to a heavy skim always present but very little lace sticking, most drips back in. Aroma is citrusy and spicy with mild lemon and orange zest mostly coming through, lighter wheat and malty sweetness, musty yeast, and clove spices engaged within. Taste is a total brigade derived from the smell, pretty sharp toned up front with a strong wheaty carbonation that grabs hold right away and sticks with ya the whole ride through. Middle strikes with a yeasty take and citrus zest of lemon and orange, carbonation finally settles out and leaves prickly notions of malted sweetness with some dark fruityness of banana and starfruit tangyness and spice that lingers with a light chewyness that smoothes it out some but that carbonation really stands out and adheres to your mouth. Quite a ride in the feel dept., lots of hold and carbonation that creates lots of those little burps at first but as it warms it mellows and becomes more gratifying. A pretty nice brew, seemingly one dimension in a way, but complex enough to keep interest and finding something new nearly every sip makes for a welcome experience and favorable enjoyment.

12-05-2003 03:24:03 | More by tavernjef
HossMcGraw

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

I would call this an Imperial Hefeweizen. Appearance is dark brown, much lighter than I was expecting for a doppelbock. Smell is a blast of wheat, spice, and alcohol. Nice.
Taste is like a Hefeweizen on steroids, with a maltier presence as it warms. Very flavorful. Mouthfeel is a little too carbonated but otherwise pretty good. Drinkability is above average. Good beer, but doesn't seem like a doppel. Also very similar to Trois Pistoles.

11-23-2003 22:52:15 | More by HossMcGraw
DagFishHead

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Hazy, iced-tea, brown-amber body. Huge, frothy, light-tan head packed with bubbles eventually subsides but a 1/4" refuses to give up. Lace is creamy and sticky.
Smell: Initial wheat blast is quickly pierced by sweet caramel and toasted malts. Definite banana, nutmeg, clove, pear, tart apple.
Taste: Initial wheat/yeast tartness is then balanced quite well by full malt sweetness. Finishes with a crisp citrus and hop/spice bitterness which still allows a muted sweet/tart to linger. Subtle alcohol warmth.
Mouthfeel: Rich, slick maltiness, smooth wheat graininess. Carbonation is crisp and balances well with the malt's thickness.
Drinkability: This will cause me to give even more wheat beers a try (big revelation for a stout guy). Straight high marks for a very balanced and enjoyable presentation.

11-20-2003 02:57:06 | More by DagFishHead
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured a full cola like offering with the exception of the deep tannish white head. No visable glass cling but ring and island lace are available for inspection.
The body is a medium and appears a little murky.
Carbonation light.
Aroma, a fruity alcohol challenge. No winner.
Taste has a spicy/fruit character to it. I pickup initially the taste of plum, backed by a shi(p)load of his fruity friends.
Warm alcohol back is secondary but noticable.

11-20-2003 02:03:04 | More by Shiloh
allboutbierge

Austria

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Much like a normal dunkelweizen, only with a tad more flavor and a little bit more alcohol.

Enjoyed in the festive enviroment of the Schneider Weiss tap house in Munich. Color was essentially that of any dunkel weiss, possibily with a slighter deeper brown color and more predominant orange hues. The head of the brew was extremely thick and long lasting. I bet I coudve floated a penny on the top of it (note-did not try). Flavor was particularly heavy in the aspects of bananas and even offered some notes of flat n/a apple cider. A very slight taste of alcohol could be tasted. Mouthfeel was extremely luxurious and thick. The strength of the flavors did however slightly detract from drinkability.

11-18-2003 14:54:19 | More by allboutbierge
diablo14

Australia

3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

while wheat bocks are not my favorite style, it cannot be deined that is a very very good beer. its got everything you expect and then some. possibly a bit too sweet for me, my my its compex.

pouring with a deep reddish brown color and thick creamy head that was a white coffee like hue. sensational aromas, subtle burnt tones, bananas, some chocolate and layered spiciness of cinnamon, anise and cloves. taste was sweet, too much so for my liking and just lacked a bit of bite, but with all smells mentioned present in the overall flavor, with some woody and fruit notes. good carbonation, gave the full bodied nature of the beer a crisp element, and had a lingering hop finish that was very complimentary. quite spicy, but has great balance. i could certainly dectect the AV in the mouth.

there are others i prefer to be drinking, but id never knock this back. if my tooth was a little sweeter these days i would have rated this much higher. there is no doubt aventinus a beauty even if its not really a style i go in for often.

11-17-2003 08:38:20 | More by diablo14
koolk

Australia

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Deep dark red in colour with a huge white head that takes a little time to calm down. Very strong carbonation.

Complex nose that is so enjoyable to smell. Cloves, banana, various spices, dried herbs and slightest fruitiness. Deep stuff that is an absolute joy to 'swirl n sniff'.

The palate is extremely smooth. It just falls over the tounge and down the throat without a care in the world. Same flavours: cloves, spice, fruit, banana, wheat. A perfect match to the wonderful aromas.

This is like a super version of their hefe's. Wild stuff, throughly enjoyed it.

11-13-2003 22:45:36 | More by koolk
SetarconeX

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Clove scent? In beer? How strange...

This is nothing like I thought it would be. I knew with the wheat, it wouldn't be as heavy as I'd usually expect from something claiming to be a Doppelbock, but it's really quite light. A light carmael, Pepsi cola color, with a fizz to match. Highly carbonated, watch yourself opening that bottle.

The taste, on the other hand, rests almost totally on the numberous spices which seem to have been added. Fruity, and yes, as the bottle says, it has a "clovelike finish." Quite cool.

Probably not the sort of thing I'd drink every day, but definately something which should be tried. Completely unique and enjoyable.

11-10-2003 03:59:49 | More by SetarconeX
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

This must be a rare case finding this stuff on tap - I just started getting Aventinus on tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn and I've never seen it tapped anywhere else before. I have to admit I prefer it on tap over bottled (though Aventinus Wheat is still one of my favorites in the bottle.) The color (deep brown) and flavor (fruity with a bit of cloves) are still excellent. I think the tap controls the carbonation better, cutting the head down, making it a bit heavier and giving it an even smoother mouthfeel and drinkability than the bottle. Feels a bit more like a 8.0 ABV beer on tap, and it will catch up to you after the second 16oz one, believe me.

11-08-2003 22:55:30 | More by PopeJonPaul
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Cloudy deep red to brown color. Very fruity smelling, notes of ripe plum, a bit of banana, and some definite clove in the aroma. Well carbonated, pours with a rousing head. Tastes sharp from the carbonation. There is some definite banana flavor in the finish. This beer is lightly sweet, has a light bit of astringency in the finish. the dark malt adds a richness to this beer, in combination with the yeast, it gives the beer dark fruit type flavors. This is like a richer, more chewy, fruitier older brother of a great Hefe-Weizen. All of the characteristics are here, just more so. My only complaint is that I wish it had finished with a slightly higher final gravity, a little more thickness & sweetness would have been ideal.

10-26-2003 22:18:53 | More by Gueuzedude
HappyHourHero

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Nice thick foamy head, light tan in color, a little overcarbonated though. There's definitely some alcohol present in the aroma, mixed in with some yeast and banana. The liquid has a creamy brown color to it. The alcohol aroma carrys over into the taste, and ends up as a warm feeling in you belly. The taste is just a little bit sweet, with maybe a little caramelized banana in there. Strong, but smooth beer, maybe more of a fall beer than a summer one.

10-26-2003 01:32:56 | More by HappyHourHero
Gump

3.6/5  rDev -17.1%

I hear this one is hard to find, so when I stumbled upon it at Surdyk's in Minneapolis I bought a couple bottles.
Extreme head on first pour, eventually settles out.
Color is like cloudy, dark, iced tea.
Sweet and earthy taste at first sip.

Some sort of brown fruit taste. (not sure which.. plum, raisin, grape?)
Imagine a box of apples and bananas that have started to ferment. That's the aroma ;)

Doesn't have the mouthfeel of my favorite wheats.
Tingly carbonation holds out for the full bottle.

Gets better as it warms.

10-25-2003 02:57:48 | More by Gump