Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,039 | Hads: 4,090
4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

50 cl bottle, served in Aventinus glass.
Appearance-wise, this is one of the most beautiful beers around, especially when served in the right glass: Deep, opaque reddish-brown; enormous, stable head that sticks around until the very end; massive carbonation visible all the way up the tall glass. It's almost - almost - a shame to drink a beer this fine-looking...
Taste is highly complex, easily combining the freshness of a wheat beer w/ the depth and fullness of taste of a doppelbock. Exemplary. Luxurious mouthfeel and very good drinkability w/ the 8% abv. being well hidden.
A unique and wonderful brew that's become one of my all-time favorites. (655 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Clear and somewhat chocolate-shaded brown, my first crack at an Aventinus poured with a nice, white head and a surprisingly wheaty aroma. That same wheat melds with dark, rich bock flavors and some fruit sweetness in a beautiful union with the twinge of alcohol around the edges. These flavors dance wonderfully across the palate.

This is very, very, even exceptionally good, and pretty unique--at least in my limited experience. It's also astoundingly drinkable for something so dark and alcoholic. Wow.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid. (549 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Aventinus poors a deep cloudy brown with hints of amber. It develops a nice thin tan head that settles to a good lace. The carbonation ascending from the stem in the center of the glass was a nice touch. It had a strong malt smell with hints of yeast and fruit. I really was not prepared for the taste. It was winelike with a strong citric bite to it, with nice undertones of sweetness. At times I tasted grapes, cherries, and blackberries. It had a dry crisp feel with a citric finish. A one off beer when a different taste is desired.

I was expecting something nearer a stout. I was pleasantly surprised. I may have to experiment and try it with strong meats to see if that enhances the experience. I was having it with pasta and cheeses and the food seemed to stop the beers tastes. (787 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer. (349 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

This is my favorite beer, hands down. I read many of the reviews on Aventinus that talk about how great this beer is on tap. I have unfortunately never had this beer on tap but it is hard to imagine it being more exquisite than it is out of the bottle. I first had this beer at the Silver Swan in New York City while eating wild boar and venison. It is a great beer to accompany a heavy meal. It is a great dark weisse and right after you open the bottle you can smell the distant smells of banana and cloves. Once you taste this beer you will be astounded by the flavor. It is 8% alcohol but goes down smooth and if you aren't careful, after a few you will definitely feel it. I recommend Aventinus to anyone and if anyone knows where I can find it on tap in the NY/NJ area, let me know! (788 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge bubbly head that mounds high above the rim of the class. Nice clear deep brown color until the last pour when the yeast pours and slowly falls to the bottom of the glass. The head eventually recedes to a sparse bubbly lace. Clove and other spices stand out in the aroma, with a hint of plum and chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Medium mouth feel with a high amount of carbonation that gives a fluffiness to the mouth feel. Sweet dark fruity malt up front followed by clove and some yeast notes. A touch of citric hop comes in towards the finish. The alcohol is also a bit noticeable towards the end and ever so slightly warming. The clove flavor lasts into the long aftertaste along with some of the alcohol. Very pleasurable brew to drink again and again, yet not one that I’d consider a session brew. (809 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

My 500ml bottle pours a rich deep amber color into my tall glass and creates a nice tan head. Note: Wow, that is a lot of yeast in the bottom of my glass.

The boquet is thick, sweet and malty with a strong presense of fruit, wheat & spice. Its quite nice.

Flavor is spicy, sweet and has qualities of a belgian tripple. It has a fruity like banana flavor and some hints of nutmeg. The alcohol is definately there, but it is not overbearing.

Mouthfeel is thick, bubbly and very crisp.

Whew... down to the end of my glass and I am certainly feeling it. This one is a great way to unwind after a long day of work, but I don't think I could put many of these down in one sitting.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Definately my favorite Doppelbock to date. (768 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

In brief, liquid bubble gum without the sugar. A substitute for people who drink white sweet wines but do not care for beer taste. tasted like fruit flaroured bubble gum, alcohol well covered. Colour included. Also banana, cloves, nutmeg, some wheat. (250 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Brown body with orange highlights, topped by a fist-sized beige head of microbubbles, topped by a dollop of whip cream rising above the glass. A punch in the nose of bananas, clove, and bubblegum. Taste starts off very sweet, first with some candy, followed by some dark fruits, and finally a dash of hops in the aftertaste to take the edge off the sweetness. Still a little sweeter than I would ideally prefer. I expected the mouthfeel, while hardly classifiable as thin, to be slighty fuller. This is a wonderful beer. However, I will say that my local Ramstein Winter Wheat is even better. Still, this is a style to be reckoned with, and this is one of the standard bearers. (677 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this last weekend on tap, after much searching and seeking. Mmmm. It looked wonderful. It smelled deep and yeasty, like stacks of hucked wheat, like the soil from which it once came. It lacked the sweety, esteric character of the 'look how high our ABV is' wheat bocks, and I suppose it should. This is, so I'm told, the benchmark for a weizenbock. The nose was great, everything I expected. The appearance too, what I anticipated. The taste. Well, the taste knocked me off my bar stool and I hit the ground with such a resounding thud, I flew upwards 15,000 miles into the stratosphere of YUM. This is a seriously delicious beer. It had the wheat/yeast tone I expected, and yet there also were subtle pickerings of hop, of sticky malt, of vibrant carbonation. Sweet, but only enough to make you want more. An aftertaste you'd like to call sour, but really just readies your palette for another complex and delicious sip. The beer really surprised me. The 8.0% amazes me. It's there only because you expect it to be. It's a travesty to think that the invisible ABV hurts its drinkability. If only the availability in PA was better, I would have crowned myself a new king in Beerworld. Thank goodness for NJ. Go try. I hope the reviews aren't suffering from poor handling, but I do realize this is primarily a bottled beer in the States. I'm sure it's good in bottles, but on tap, the flavors are so intense, they last forever in the finish, and they slide gracefully across your tounge like you just ate a silk shirt dipped in axel grease. It's that good. Wow. WOW. KClinger's has it right now on tap upstairs. It's worth whatever you have to do to try it. Cheers!

-Update: Great from bottles also, but I prefer the tap. (1,733 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

I like German beer. I like strong German beer. I love strong, limited edition, German beer.

This beer comes packaged in a paper cover with dated events from 1999. It has a little tag on it. There were only 240 cases of this. I have been able to get 2 bottles. This beer makes a case for cellaered beer.

Imagine Aventinus. Then imagine Aventinus with less sweetness more balance and one of the smoothest taste you will ever experience. I can't say enough about this. Ecstasy is the word. Rivals any beer I have ever had. (522 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

While weizens are not my favorite style I was intrigued by the "doppelbock" aspect of this particular brew.Pours a hazy amber brown color with a very nice head that slowly receeded.Little or no lacing left on the glass.Very grassy aroma-spicy,cloves,yeasty.Yeasty comes thru in the flavor-some phenols,sourness.Very pleasant mouthfeel-full bodied and high level of carbonation.Slight "puckering" effect which I like.Overall a very nice beer-wouldnt be my first choice but is a great change from the stout,IPA,amber,etc routine that the average beer drinker consumes.I'd have another. (583 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a dark brown with tan highlights and big, thick white head that dies down quickly. First aroma is citrus hops. 2nd aroma is complex toffee malts in the mid-range. Flavor is somewhat sour and fruity with a dark malt kicker; raisins come to mind. Fee in the mouth is very lively and sweet followed by spice, very satisfying. Even though it is somewhat dry this beer is very thirst-quenching. Relativly high alocohol is hidden very well.

(This is my desert island beer and has been for awhile, interesting to actually write a review.) (540 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

I typically am luke warm when it comes to weizen/weiss beers. I've heard a lot of good things about Aventinus so I picked up a pint and gave it a try.

I'm not sure if the bottle got shaken up a bit on the car ride home from the store, but this beer poured with the biggest head I've ever seen. It was an off-white, light, beautiful foam. The beer beneath the head had a deep brown color with hints of amber.

The taste was just a bit less appealing than the appearance. I tasted hints of chocolate and spice and was left with an overall sweet taste. The typical grainy, wheat taste was also very noticeable, but not offensive as it has been for me in other weizen beers. Overall, this is the best weizen beer I've ever had and I'll not hesitate to pick up another. (771 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

started out dark brown with a good head that thinned and left nice lacing through the glass (Authentic Aventinus galss at that). The smell was of nuts, cloves, and bannana. The tatse followed suit with layered flavors of butter, vanilla, and herbs. The mouthfeel was both thian and thick at times and sweet malt flavors swooshed around.

Overall it was an enjoyable beer that made me sit back and examine what was going on with the beer flavorwise, kinda mysterious - like as in what am I tasting here. Well balanced and fun to drink. I think as many people who drink it will describe it differently. A good beer to compare directly with someone else. (654 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Tasted on tap at the Toronado bar in the Haight in San Francisco
Served in a beautiful and curvy Aventinus glass.

The beer is dark dark brown and doesn't carry a lot of head.

Sweet malty smell, faint smell of hops

This beer has huge flavor but is so well done that it doesn't overwhelm you. The beginning is malty and chocolatey. You get that bready wheat taste along with a hint of banana and spice. Big mouthfeel. Alcohol is very subtle. I could drink pints and pints of this.

Seemed much more smooth and flavorful on tap than when I tried it in the bottle.

This beer is the king of dark wheat. (613 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

2000 Vintage, caved aged for 36 months in Aventinus' ice cave in Germany. The appearance is very similar, if not the same as regular Aventinus. A dark, yeasty, murky brown colour with a humungous tan/beige head of foam. If swirled or allowed to garner up a big head, the aromas of this are also very similar to the regular Aventinus. I smell cloves, various fruits and esters, slight spicy alcohol, a bit of malt, and very, very slight floral hops. The aromas are actually a bit more well integrated than the aromas of the regular Aventinus, but at the same time, they are also less pronounces/pungent and complex. The taste is more subdued than that wild-fresh Aventinus, but all of the same major flavor hints are still there. Slight bitter-sweet chocolate, dark fruits, german yeast, malt and hops, alcoholic spiciness, and spicy clove hints. The mouthfeel is a bit creamier and more smooth in the mouth than fresh Aventinus and the drinkability is excellent for an 8.0%ABV wheat beer. Please remember to serve this cool, not cold at cellar temperature, because this is were Aventinus is at it's best. Since these 99 and 2000 reserve bottles have been aged in an ice cave for 36 months, they should be served straight from you ice cave (ie: cellar) or brought up to cellar temp, by sitting in the fridge for 30-40 minutes. (1,325 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours with a big, fizzy head of large, airy white bubbles that quickly dissipates into nothing at all! (BTW I had not cleaned my tasting glass with detergent, or a towel, so I'm at a loss as to why there's no head... what a downer!) The beer itself is well-carbonated, though, with plenty of streamers rising through a light-chestnut colored brew with highlights that border on amber. Immediately weizeny aroma up front, with the distinctive refreshing, near-citrus tartness; there follows a banana-bread mealiness in the middle; with toffee malt rounding out the back. Flavor is of clove and slight cinnamon; sour-wheaty with suggestions of bubblegum and melon in the midpalate with spicy clove; highlights of raisin and white grapes. And oh yeah, a lot more clove--so much that it almost borders on black pepper. If you don't like clove, then forget it. Mouthfeel is spicily dry, effervescent, champagney with more peppery tingle; yet somehow quenching in the back of the throat. This combination of spiciness and quenching character infers a high drinkability. I could drink this in session if I wasn't feeling the alcohol already... I might try this again to see if the "appearance" score goes up a bit, but for now let's just say I didn't get as much out of this beer as I had hoped. (1,288 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Vintage 2000: Ice cellar aged RESERVE

Really nice thick and pillowy tan head with tiny clean bubbles. Not much lacing but nice retention. Nice cloudy nut brown color from the yeast. The nose was of raisins, bananas and cloves and very appetizing. Mouth feel was smooth and full and enveloped my tough with flavors. Big flavors of clove, banana, dried sweet fruits and sweet malt. It has a mild wheaty acidic and spicy bite in the end that really finishes nicely. Also some hints of port, vanilla and anise somehow all mixed in this incredible creation..

Overall a superb brew and even smoother and more refined after aging. (630 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer poured a dark brown, with a fizzy tan head. Aromas were malt, caramel, smoke, grapefruit. There were many flavors, truly a complex beer! Malt, caramel, cherry, chocolate, orange, grapefruit, peach, clove, cinnamon, and sugar. 8%ABV is well hidden. The mouthfeel was smooth and light, with mild carbonation. The finish was smooth, with malt sweetness predominant.

I can see why this is on the Top 50 list; it's got that perfect combination of well-blended, yet complex flavors. Prosit! (497 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I couldn't remember the last time I'd had this, but I figured that since I was bottling my own weizenbock today, I should drink this purple beast. Pours a murky dark brown (with a reddish tinge) with a towering tan head. Smell: rich vinuous character with sweet hints of bubblegum, some banana, and hint of alcohol. Taste is tangy champagne banana wheat bread. Acidic, yeasty, sour apples, some clove. Finish is wheat bitter with lingering banana yogurt and alcohol. Delicious. Big and uncompromising, yet utterly drinkable. I can only hope my brew turns out one third as good! (577 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Bought a 1pt .9oz bottle for $2.49. Totally worth it for this amazing beer. This is one of my favorite brews of all time. It's not often that I give a 5 for taste but this one deserves every point. Poured a cloudy brown hue. Very nice fizzy head with good lacing. Very spicy smell. Can smell the wheat and malts right away. Tastes amazing. Not sure how anyone can give this less than a 4.5. I gave it a five. Wonderful weizenbock. Yummy malts and fruity spices. 8% is a decent amount of alcohol. Goes very well with almost any meal. Try it out. I'm sure you will enjoy it. (572 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Reddish dark brown with a gem-like glow, substantially tall evenly bubbled light tan head, frothy topped and whipped with a few divets and little sparkly specks within the foam. Fades slowly to a heavy skim always present but very little lace sticking, most drips back in. Aroma is citrusy and spicy with mild lemon and orange zest mostly coming through, lighter wheat and malty sweetness, musty yeast, and clove spices engaged within. Taste is a total brigade derived from the smell, pretty sharp toned up front with a strong wheaty carbonation that grabs hold right away and sticks with ya the whole ride through. Middle strikes with a yeasty take and citrus zest of lemon and orange, carbonation finally settles out and leaves prickly notions of malted sweetness with some dark fruityness of banana and starfruit tangyness and spice that lingers with a light chewyness that smoothes it out some but that carbonation really stands out and adheres to your mouth. Quite a ride in the feel dept., lots of hold and carbonation that creates lots of those little burps at first but as it warms it mellows and becomes more gratifying. A pretty nice brew, seemingly one dimension in a way, but complex enough to keep interest and finding something new nearly every sip makes for a welcome experience and favorable enjoyment. (1,318 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

I would call this an Imperial Hefeweizen. Appearance is dark brown, much lighter than I was expecting for a doppelbock. Smell is a blast of wheat, spice, and alcohol. Nice.
Taste is like a Hefeweizen on steroids, with a maltier presence as it warms. Very flavorful. Mouthfeel is a little too carbonated but otherwise pretty good. Drinkability is above average. Good beer, but doesn't seem like a doppel. Also very similar to Trois Pistoles. (442 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Hazy, iced-tea, brown-amber body. Huge, frothy, light-tan head packed with bubbles eventually subsides but a 1/4" refuses to give up. Lace is creamy and sticky.
Smell: Initial wheat blast is quickly pierced by sweet caramel and toasted malts. Definite banana, nutmeg, clove, pear, tart apple.
Taste: Initial wheat/yeast tartness is then balanced quite well by full malt sweetness. Finishes with a crisp citrus and hop/spice bitterness which still allows a muted sweet/tart to linger. Subtle alcohol warmth.
Mouthfeel: Rich, slick maltiness, smooth wheat graininess. Carbonation is crisp and balances well with the malt's thickness.
Drinkability: This will cause me to give even more wheat beers a try (big revelation for a stout guy). Straight high marks for a very balanced and enjoyable presentation. (818 characters)