Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,089 | Ratings: 4,320
4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

This must be a rare case finding this stuff on tap - I just started getting Aventinus on tap at Mugs Alehouse in Brooklyn and I've never seen it tapped anywhere else before. I have to admit I prefer it on tap over bottled (though Aventinus Wheat is still one of my favorites in the bottle.) The color (deep brown) and flavor (fruity with a bit of cloves) are still excellent. I think the tap controls the carbonation better, cutting the head down, making it a bit heavier and giving it an even smoother mouthfeel and drinkability than the bottle. Feels a bit more like a 8.0 ABV beer on tap, and it will catch up to you after the second 16oz one, believe me.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Cloudy deep red to brown color. Very fruity smelling, notes of ripe plum, a bit of banana, and some definite clove in the aroma. Well carbonated, pours with a rousing head. Tastes sharp from the carbonation. There is some definite banana flavor in the finish. This beer is lightly sweet, has a light bit of astringency in the finish. the dark malt adds a richness to this beer, in combination with the yeast, it gives the beer dark fruit type flavors. This is like a richer, more chewy, fruitier older brother of a great Hefe-Weizen. All of the characteristics are here, just more so. My only complaint is that I wish it had finished with a slightly higher final gravity, a little more thickness & sweetness would have been ideal.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Nice thick foamy head, light tan in color, a little overcarbonated though. There's definitely some alcohol present in the aroma, mixed in with some yeast and banana. The liquid has a creamy brown color to it. The alcohol aroma carrys over into the taste, and ends up as a warm feeling in you belly. The taste is just a little bit sweet, with maybe a little caramelized banana in there. Strong, but smooth beer, maybe more of a fall beer than a summer one.

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%

I hear this one is hard to find, so when I stumbled upon it at Surdyk's in Minneapolis I bought a couple bottles.
Extreme head on first pour, eventually settles out.
Color is like cloudy, dark, iced tea.
Sweet and earthy taste at first sip.

Some sort of brown fruit taste. (not sure which.. plum, raisin, grape?)
Imagine a box of apples and bananas that have started to ferment. That's the aroma ;)

Doesn't have the mouthfeel of my favorite wheats.
Tingly carbonation holds out for the full bottle.

Gets better as it warms.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a wonderful experience to enjoy this masterpiece of brewing art! I was lucky enough to sample a bottle of 1999 vintage Aventinus at the Olney Ale House in Olney, MD (more about them in the Beerfly section). I must say that this is one of the finest winter warmers or dessert beers that I have ever tasted. It pours with a deep opaque body with garnet undertones and is topped by a dense beige head that demands you to taste this beer. And oh what a taste it is! Starting with the ripe, fruity nose of plums and cloves that hints at the taste to follow. A velety mouthful of warm, fresh baked bread with definite chocolate undertones. Despite its high alcohol level, there is an almost indistiguishable amount of alcoholic bite. The beer lingers on the back of the palate with a hint of toffee and clove spiciness that perfectly balance the tast of this marvel. This beer is truly a maltsters dream!

Prosit!

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

open it up and out poors a deep cloudy monster with a thin white lace. smells of spices and clove with bits of fruit and alcohol present. the taste is spicey with no hop bitterness present. the alcohol taste is present but subdued by the wheat/spice. the mouthfeel is slightly thick yet crisp and finishes a bit dry. this is a pretty big beer and pretty complex and hard to describe for a n00b like myself. but all i know is i like it.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a solid dark amber with a light head, the essence of any bock. When held up to the light the redness can really be shown, but in a medium lit room it is a very nice, not quite black amber. The most distinguishable characteristic of this beer is banana. It is overall fruity and quite sweet, but the banana overshadows all. Other flavors present are chocolate, cola nut, and apple. there is not initial hit to the pallete, rather the malt steadily accumulates, first with banana flavor, then trailing with the others. As it warms up the flavor changes noticably, becoming even sweeter and more balanced amongst the flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit more carbnated than most other dopplebocks, and I like it. Perhaps I'm partial to my celebrator, but this beer makes a great substitute for dopplebock when you need some variety.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

I quite enjoyed this. Pours a cloudy mahogany brown into the glass with a big head that settles to a heavy film. Minimal spotty lace.

Smells wonderful. Cloves, banana, caramel, fruitiness. A very pleasant beer. Thick and creamy mouthfeel. Taste is gentle, no overpowering cloves like some others in the family. Nice comfortable warmth from the alcohol.

Quite solid overall. Not something I could see drinking a ton of at a sitting, but delightful as a one off.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Saved this one for a while.. Its one of my favourite beers around ( given my handle). Pours a almost cola colour with a nice firm head when poured properly. The nose is full of life with , caramel, bananas, cloves and even a almost light tobacco. The taste is the nose times three.. All of the sences are hit with the fruity, spicy, and almost cola like sensations. The carbonation just lifts these onto the palate and makes the tongue dance with joy.. The mouthfeel is smooth and the carbonation keeps this from being to heavy.. This would be a great beer to through back if not for the fact that 3 or more will leave you hurting due to its ABV, which is not even noticable. An all time favourite. For a great treat drink this with Bananas foster for dessert!!! now if i could keep my wife from drinking half of my Tinus id be a happy boy.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Deep trouble copper appearance with a nice head that stayed there for a while. Aroma is quite complex, mayble a little bit fruity and even roasty. Alcohol is very discreet. Not my favorite style or indeed a style that I know much about but I wouldn't mind trying this again.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours an opaque woody chocolate brown with an effervescent off white head that dissipates quickly, but hugs the edges of the surface, (and returns upon swirling). Small amount of yeast sediment on the bottom. The nose is classic wiezen, sweet and sour, yeasty . I don't know if I have the words to explain this beer, a complex flavor. Fruity (sour apple) and alcoholic esters. The yeast is prominent in the finish, as it should be, but the malt is balanced. Woody notes, maybe oak, reminds me a bit of scotch.

The mouthfeel is slick and full but medium body, made lighter by the carbonation throughout. As for drinkability, this beer is a great example of the style, easily one of the most complex and well balanced versions I've had. The sour notes overwhelm the alcohol,(until it warms) making it barely noticable, for a beer this strong, and this drinkable, a dangerous combination. If this is your first, get up yourself to get the second, it might hit you...

Notes; This is the first beer (of those I have not had) on the top 50 list that I went out and bought based on BA rank. I now understand exactly how valuable BA is as a resource.... thanks all.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours with a nice head that is a bit craggy for a wheat beer but head stay throughout the drink. Aroma is not too strong, with a bit of clove to suppliment the general wheat beer breadish aroma. There is a fair amount of body and which I think comes from the wheat side of the brew but the finish owes more to the bock side. This is a fairly strong brew but the combination of characteristics diguises the alcohol and you would be tempted to make this a session brew which would be a mistake

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Poured a very dark caramel with an off-white head into my chalice. Very good head retention.

Smell: Ripe/overripe fruit (banana) and spices (clove)

Taste: Fruity with somewhat of a bitter chocolate finish.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Not especially smooth, but a very drinkable beer.

I like this beer a lot. I think it would pair well with a blue cheese -- given the bitter finish of the beer, maybe a blue cheese with a sweeter finish like the Roaring Forties.

I made a good choice of beer for my first review.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

I've never had a wheat doppelbock before tonight. I was always told that this was a beer to check out and now I understand why. I was never a big fan of wheat beers in general, just a little too sour for my tastes really. But a wheat bock? This beer smells like a wheat beer. But the taste is exactly half sour wheat-ness half malty bock-ness. An excellent balance with lots of flavor. Might be my new favorite beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

I don't think it gets any more dangerous for the average beer drinker than this. A perfectly constructed weizen that is highly drinkable and an 8% abv. Awesome to look at in an Aventinus glass. While this is not my favorite style, my wife loves it now and I will be on the hunt for more.

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

I has this at David Copperfield's as it came highly recommended by Dorothy, who was behind the bar that night. She poured it quite expertly into a Weihenstephan weisse glass and made sure to get all the little yeasties out of the bottle, too.

Appearance: A murky brown in color with a good thick offwhite head. Pretty decent lacing.

Smell: I could have stuck around and sniffing this baby all night, but there was a train to catch the next day. I caught candi sugars and molasses with a bit of banana. There were also some floral hops in the background. It was a nicely complex aroma.

Taste: Very sweet maltiness. The alcohol is not shy about making it's presence felt, either, but it doesn't smack you around like a red-headed stepchild. This beer reminded of whiskey at some points.

Mouthfeel: Man, this beer has got some junk in the trunk. There's some fries with that shake. Very full-bodied and rich.

Drinkability: I would definitely have one of these again. Thankfully I can find it. However, due to the serving size and richness, this would probably be the only bottle I'd be consuming that night.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

served in large 1 pt. .9 oz. bottle with cool-ass purple label. (very psychadelic)

anyway, this one is a beast in a bottle.
huge fruity, wheaty aroma. huge grape-like sweetness in the flavor. the familiar coriander-and-banana flavors that come with hefeweizens.

badass, baby.

this is like the lightest, fruitiest beer and the heaviest, darkest, stoutest beer all at the same time. a real enigma.

i highly highly recommend trying this. it goes a step beyond the doppelbocks.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Half a liter bottle poured into a weizen glass. It pours a dark muddy brown, almost like chocolate milk, with 4 huge fingers of head. There is almost no lacing left on the glass, despite the huge head. The smell is super malty and yeasty, and very full of clove spice. It smells like a dunkelweizen on steriods. The taste is also packed with malt and cloves, and also contains some fruity esters. There is a bit of yeast to the finish. The mouthfeel is very thick and super smooth. The drinkability is also fairly good for being 8.0%. My first taste of this style, and I'm already wondering how anything could come close to this.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Time to drink a good beer for a change. Pours a dark murky brown with swirling yeasts and enormous thick tan head that I could barely contain in the glass. Be sure to swirl the yeast at the bottom of the bottle--it's imperative. Smells of bread with Nutella; with hints of chocolate and vanilla and some spices, clove, sweet. Rich tastes of dough up front with sweet dark fruits in the middle smoothed by a banana flavor from the yeast and some cloves and a warming alcohol sensation on the finish. This beer is 8% abv?! Wouldn't know it until the end. This is an amazing, complex, drinkable and flavorful beer.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Big beautiful head dissipated at a moderate pace. Dark red color with a lot of big bubbles of CO2. Aroma is very fine with a slight estery character that is very spicy and clovelike. Taste is a balance of sweet and dry malt flavors starting with a dark brown sugar flavor and a dry balance. There is a definite carbonic bite in this one that somewhat detracts from the flavor. Very smooth clean finish with a hint of alcohol and a lot of clove and spicey esters. Mouthfeel is light despite the high alcohol. Drinkable as long as it is paired with the right foods or the right moods. An excellent brew to enjoy on a cold winters evening with some good cigars.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presented as pictured. Filled my tall, proud weissbier glass with a hazy, deep brown color topped with a big bubbly beige head that faded quickly into a squirming, writhing, almost living cap kept alive by steady streams of bubbles rising from the depths.

Smell is a wonderful melange of bananas, cloves, brown sugar, caramel, prunes and light alcohol. The alcohol really made itself known after swirling the glass a bit.

Taste: Wow, that's damn good! Starts off with a yeasty, bready flavor followed and some light banana and clove, not as strong as in a Bavarian-style hefeweizen. The taste is sweet and is intensified by the caramel/brown sugar flavor and dried fruits. The alcohol is well hidden. You don't really taste, you just feel it as a faint warming sensation.

Feel is light-to-medium bodied and bubbly. A little too carbonated, maybe. It really wakes up the tongue.

This beer is incredibly drinkable save for the ABV %. I could keep on drinking this but I'd be whacked in short order. That said, this is an excellently crafted beer wholly worthy of the praises sung on its behalf by BA's in countless Forum threads. Add another devotee to the list!

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%

Alright Mr. Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock, I could care less about your reputation and your clammering, twitching following. We've had something of a history together, and an abrasive one at that. Long ago, before I ever had a real job, I had my first sip of you right from the bottle before I figured things out (hey dunderhead, pour it into a glass, just like that Unibroue you once tried to drink out of the bottle!). You swore me off wheat ale, especially German wheat ales for years and years. The last time I tried you, a mere 4 months ago, and after many other multinational samplings, I described you to the waitress and my friends as similar to chewing on a wet IKEA throw-rug--yes, I am clever, and got points for creativity on that one. Oh, but ever since then I've been training, working hard, saying my prayers, taking my vitamins, watching the tapes over and over again, figuring things out. Oh yeah, I think I'm ready for you once again. Come over here tough guy...

You all know what the bottle looks like, I poured it out of that. It's a rather intimidating, yet somehwat appealing hazy (murky) deep mahogany colour, massive beige head on the pour, spilling over, bursting at the seams. But that soon fades away, leaving me to deal with the matter at hand. The nose is quite nice, never noticed it much before now, rather inviting. Spicy and rummy, hints of preserved fruit, like the jarred cherries my Baba used to make. Quite intense. Flavour is very similar. It's something I've yet to find the words for. Wet IKEA throw-rug is not it though, I stand corrected. Like spiced buttered rum mixed with fruit, and then that elusive special ingredient (oh yeah, banana, that's it!). Yeah, this is pretty good stuff. Not the cat's ass like everyone else makes it out to be, but not as bad as I first took it to be either. Not a big fan of the style, couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I'm willing to give it the respect it deserves. I'd rather have a Unibroue instead. I think I will...

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with lots of carbonation and a great head, but little lacing.

Smell – Huge dark yeast and malt aromas along with a variety of sweets. Raw sugar stands out to me, but there are also strong sticky caramel notes, bananas, and other ripe fruits. Well done.

Taste - This is a symphony of flavors. It is brewed in Munchen, Bayern, the home of great beer.

The dunkel weizen aspect is awesome, a hair sweeter than the standard. The carbonation is middling, the yeast deep, raw, and intricate to the flavor, and the dark, burnt taste is present but not porteresque. The huge sugars from the nose kick in as well, making this a mouthful.

The other half of the blend is the doppel bock. Here Aventinus shines as well. The burnt taste (different from the dunkles weizen flavors) is classic bock and, somehow, very distinctive from but not overpowering to the other aspects of the beer.

Together the myriad flavors add up to a smooth, most complex, slightly intoxicating (8.0 ABV) masterpiece. The Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is an amazing accomplishment within the brewing industry. I’ve never tasted anything like it.

Mouthfeel – A little off carbonation for a weitzen, but right on for a doppelbock. It’s not perfect, but really good.

Drinkability – In Germany a case of beer consists of 20 bottles like this in a plastic milk bottle type of carrier, and they are ribbed for stacking on top of one another. I’d like to have a walk-in cooler in my house and these things stacked to the ceiling. This went down exceptionally well.

Comments – I got down to the 39th review (high-low) before finding anything lower than a four (I’m number 40). This is the real deal and not just my partialness to weitzens and bocks. It’s incredible, and easily one of my favorite beers of all time.

Update: Reviewed 11/23/04 and raising the Mouthfeel from 4.0 to 4.5. This beer is utterly consistant from year to year.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I Have not had to many bock beers, but this beer is quite good.

poured a dark brown with a nice lacey head. has a full malt\fruty smell that comes through in th taste.with the higher abv i doubt i will be drinking too many in one sitting. but at has a nice body and a all around very nice beer.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 50cl bottle. A Wheat Doppelbock, hmmm what to expect from this? I have no idea what is in store. Let's find out.

It started by pouring a dark, hazy brown with a big beige head in the glass. Small bubbles and great lacing all around the glass.

Aromas of fruit, sweet malt, and biscuity dough waft from the glass. The scents become more prominant as it warms.

The taste is much like the smell. Something of a combination of a typical bavarian wheat beer and a doppelbock, much like the name would imply. Tastes of sweet malt, fruit, wheat, biscuit dough.

The mouthfeel was bubbly, carbonated, and light. The small bubbles tingle on the tongue and awaken the mouth. It finishes very clean and smooth. Hides the alcohol very well, barely detectible and helps balance the sweetness.

Another truly wonderful beer. Proving that once again this world is full of new tastes to be explored. Granted this one is quite old, but it was new to me!