Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have found that I do not like what I would term big over the top alcoholic brews and this fits that description.

Two fingers of head when poured but this quickly drops with some retention. Murky brown in colour. Aromas of dark fruit and overwhelming alcohol which persisted on the palate. The alcohol just wiped out everything else for me. Totally dominant. Perhaps better with food?

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

This poured a hazy dark mahogany with white head. It smelled like lemon and wild yeast, salt and vinegar, and no malt. It tasted like prune malt and sour wild yeast with lemon and salty hops. It was watery with lots of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall this was much more Belgian and less dark (lacking malt) than I expected. It was clean and drinkable, but didn't have a flavor that I particularly enjoy. It had decent body and hid the alcohol fairly well, and will hopefully become much more balanced with tasty malt character as it ages.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured this 500 mL brown bottle into a Duvel glass. No date. Coded 08.134 1-1 0205 2822 ? The body was a dull plum color. Semi-opaque with a crepe-like head.

Smell was dark berries and molasses.

Taste was tangy and spicy. Cloves. Banana bread and blackberry cobbler.

Mouthfeel was zippy at first but smoothed out as it warmed a little. A classic,although it is far from my favorite style.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA. Served in a 10 oz. snifter.

Appearance: A dark, hazy, muddy beer with slow-moving but ample carbonation that creeps up around the edges of the glass to contribute initially to the one-finger of white, frothy head and then to the ring of puffy lace left in its wake. Lacing is glittery, runny, slick, likely slightly alcohol retarded,

Aroma: Deep, roasted maltiness - sweet, with flourishes of brown sugar and honey - and lots of fruity notes that run the gamut from pear, dates all the way to dark raisins, figs. As things warm, a sharp alcohol note emerges, lending that definite rum raisin edge to things.

Taste: Similar to the nose, and that's a good thing. A definite banana/spice edge added by the yeast, which themselves also impart a few other earthy, funky flavors, but all in a wonderful balance with the fruity notes and malt overtones mentioned above. There's also a few light, fluffy wheat notes that actually help lighten the mouthfeel a little. A warming, lightly-spicy alcohol in the finish rounds things off.

Mouthfeel: Big and fluffy, but wonderfully even and smooth. A little crisp carbonation adds a wonderful element.

Drinkability: Better out of the bottle, I think. The flavors just seemed a little less vibrant here. Nonetheless, it's still a fantastic beer, flavorful, aromatic, attractive, creamy, and a definite winner.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Dark brown with a thick tan head. Has some reddish streaks to it as well. Head retention is great.

Aroma: Dark fruits, wheat, banana, cloves...absolutely amazing. Has the typical hefeweizen smells (and dunkel), but its noticeably a bock. Already anticipating this one

Taste: Follows the aroma rather well. Some spices, the dark fruits, the wheat, everything comes into play creating a complex, but not too strong or overpowering beer. The alcohol taste is minimal, and it does not taste like the ABV it has

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, nice coating as well. Goes down really well.

Drinkability: I don't know if its a great idea to have a few of these..it has a relatively high ABV, along with a body and taste that doesn't reflect that. Its easy to have a couple. But its more of a dessert type drink, or a nice nightcap, as opposed to a refreshing beer.

I can't recommend this enough.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 500ml bottle
A nice thick oatmeal colored head that slowly falls to a quarter inch tall head. It is a pretty brew...nice cloudy honey brown in color.
Smells of wheat, clove and malt.
Sweet chocolate covered cherries hit me off the bat. Raisins follow.
Medium body. Effervescent carbonation initially when mellows with time. After a while the beer becomes quite smooth.
The carbonation when first poured was a bit much but after it settled I was a happy man. This is one of the great Weizenbocks. I have an aged one that I am eager to try and will look for it on tap which should be interesting.

A - Muddy brown and rust. Not much head. Leaves ring and sticky web.

S - Banana and clove, cooked pear, sweet candy, sumpin funky, too.

T - Rich meaty fruity pie. Dark flavors, complex and tasty.

M - medium to full boy, great carb, coating and balance.

D - For the style, very.

4.6/5  rDev +6%

Exceptional!

The main adjective for this brew is creamy. I don't think I have experienced a brew with such a smooth mouth feel as this one. Having said that, it is a complete surprise coming from a dopple-bock. (Athough i guess this is technically a Weizenbock)

The color is also incredible... one reviewer stated it is almost a purple appearance. I couldn't agree more.

Taste is amazing. The complexity was great. Fruity.. Banana, Clove, Plum, Date even, with a hint of spice. For an abv of 8.2% there was almost zero alcohol burn.

In sum this is a must try...

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

Aventinus comes in murky and deep, purplish amber with a big cap of very finely bubbled, fluffy-creamy, light caramel toned color.

Awesome nose. Everything comes through in the flavor too. Bit of chocolate and raisin, lots of red grape and apple with a caramel drizzle, some banana and clove, wheaty-yeasty-estery, earthy-grassy hops come through as well, and spicy alcohol. Way too drinkable. Ridiculously tasty. Nice full-medium body, not too heavy, Perfect carb, loads of it (not too much though), fluffy-creamy-wheaty and very lightly crisp.

The BEST of the style, a classic, and one of my favorite brews.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a cloudy opaque dark brown with huge billowy, but fast fading, tan head. Smell: banana, clove, pear, vanilla, bubblegum, candied fruit, yeast, wheat, a whiff of alcohol. Taste: caramel, hint of chocolate, ripe banana, clove, dates, yeasty, subdued wheat, warming alcohol. Medium to full body, almost chewy, bready. Ever had chocolate banana bread? Wow, there is a lot going on here, all of it excellent. As a dunkelweizen fan this is a fantastic beer and a great option as the temperature randomly jumps from the 80s down to the 40s in north FL.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from 1 pint 9fl oz bottle into an over-sized wine glass. Firm pour yielded one finger of pure brilliant white head, that contrasts dramatically with the Starbucks brown body. Head fades quickly and leaves minimal lace.

Nose- slightly burnt nuttiness, caramel, notes of coffee.

Palate- Interesting, not what I was expecting. Almost porter-esque. Some dark fruit, dates, raisins, plums. As it warms it really develops. Chewy raisin. Some elements of a Belgian Quad. Dates, Alcohol. Very smooth and clean. I enjoy how some elements of a heffe come through initially, and are followed by light caramels and brooding dark fruits. Complex, each sip seems a little different.

Mouthfeel- Slick, smooth and clean.

Drinkability- Very good. Probably could not have more then 2.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

I've never been a huge fan of wheat beers until I Tried this one. The Aventinus pours a rich, syrupy brown with an aggresive head that rapidly dissapates. The aroma is all malt. Sweet with hints of toffee and carmel. This beer coats the palate upon the first sip. Flavors of carmel, dates, and malt are first noticed, followed by a slight dry finish. I found it to be quite easy to drink, despite it's ABV and viscosity. Aventinus is the best wheat beer I have ever had, and one of the best German brews I have tasted in my life.

4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a brownish red color with a nice foamy head and lots of carbonation.
It smelled of sweet malts, dark fruits, plums, banana and clove.
Tasted of vanilla, cocoa beans, spices and some alcohol, very complex.
The mouthfeels was pleasant, pretty smooth, creamy and a little carbonation on the tongue.
This is one of the best bock style beers out there, without a doubt.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a very interesting, very enjoyable beer which I loved, although I was not sure what to expect.

Deep, murky brown with a little reddish-ochre hue to it, this has a big, dense, light tan head that slowly shrinks to a foamy ring and leaves a little weak lace.

The aroms is fruit - banana and stewed and spiced plums and pears, with a hint of burnt/caramelized pumpkin, bubblegum, whole wheat bread. It's very aromatic yet light and complex, with a definite hefeweizen element but also a stronger, bock-like quality, which seems logical.

The taste is highly interesting, lively and complex, which was what hit me before any specific flavours did. It is light, yet strongly flavoured, zesty, lively. It has a lto of fruit, spice, apple, 7-up, whole wheat bread, a hint root beer and a hint of rum - with alcohol evident but restrained and smooth. SUpposedly it's has some choclate, but I did not really get that. It does not taste its strength. it is highly drinkable and engaging.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Served on top at the Blind Tiger, NYC

The draught board at BT listed this as a doppelbock, so being that I was unfamiliar with the drink (and that I am particularly keen on doppelbocks) I was fairly surprised when I recieved it at the lightness in color as well as the somewhat-subdued flavor. I knew then that this was probably not a doppelbock and I checked BA to confirm it was a weizen... ANYWAY, once I'd adjusted to the beer's true identity I was ready for it and enjoyed it quite a lot. It smells like rootbeer and looks like it too.. Tastes sweet and a bit like caramel but very smooth, the sweetness is subdues and not so upfront. Mouth is on the lighter side of moderate. Highly carbonated. Very easy to drink and delicious as well.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 500 ml Euro bottle into an Aventinus glass.

A--Pours a deep raisiny brown body with plenty of fizzy white head, about two and a half fingers. Cap dissipated quickly and didn't leave much behind, but the bottom of the glass funnelled bubbles to the surface for the entire tasting.

S--Oh dear God does this smell heavenly. Real sock of old tropical fruit, real deep brown banana, mellowed by a touch of vanilla. I detected less clove and more sweet maraschino cherry and yeast, with an almost palpable wheat and banana aroma.

T--Follows the nose faithfully with some added complexity, especially on the back end, which has a raisin and malt character to it that I really enjoy. This thickens and creeps into the middle of the palate as the beer warms and the esters recede a bit. A full, satisfying taste spectrum that I could actually see pairing well with brown sauces and heavier, winter meat dishes. Anyone down for braising pork jowls for six hours with me?

M&D--More bread-like than any other wheat beer I've had, and so pretty chewy, which I actually like. Carbonation is active without stinging, and the ABV doesn't really come through until the end and the beer has warmed considerably. This is kind of a sock to the jaw after one, so not the most drinkable. More worth savoring than swigging.

One of my favorite beers, hands down. I like this beer the first time I tasted it so damn much I immediately went out and bought the attendant glass to it. Superior product--masterful!

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

"Germany's original Wheat-Doppelbock Ale" on the label. I used to think that bock implied lager, but now I know otherwise. I have heard wonderful things about this beer and so I am curious; it's supposed to be the ultimate in wheat beers. We shall see if it lives up to this claim.

Look - Poured into a weizen glass a cloudy brown, maple syrup like color. Thick off white head as is typical for wheat beers.

Nose - The scent of clove is very intense. Bananna goodness is there as well. Deep chocolate sweetness...alcohol is their but doesn't completely dominate the situation.

Taste - This is the clove and bananna bomb to end all clove and bananna bombs! Next I'm blasted by a rich maltiness that I have not noticed in wheat beers before. Chocolate is here but it is balanced by bitterness of hops, alcohol, and clove spiciness. I can see also why some say that this tastes like bubblegum; there is a definite bubblegum flavor there but it is not bad at all. I like to think of it as chocolate covered bananna. To sum this all up it as though there is a war being waged between wheat, malt, and yeast that created a symphony of complex goodness that rivals Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. If I haven't sung the praises of this enough I will say that this beer has done the unthinkable and combined my two favorite types of beer: wheat and doppelbock. Very nice tasting and something that I will be returning to.

All of this being said I can see why some beer drinker's might not care for it much. If there is a beer spectrum that stretches from hoppy on end (IPA) to malty on the other, Aventinus would be representative of the malty side...so hopheads beware.

As I sip further I am starting to feel the warming effects of the relatively high, 8.2%, alcohol. This will be a nice beer to bring to my family's Xmas gathering to keep warm and to endure their idiotic banter.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Taste: NOM NOM NOM! Plunging in I get some severe starchiness which is why I retract my notion of banana move directly to PLANTAIN! Cloves, raisons, and other spices all come together to make one rocking party!

Mouth Feel: Gave that baby a swirl and it's nice and creamy. Medium viscosity.

Smell: Cloves and Banana are defiantly right there. It just smells nice and starchy, obviously from the wheat.

Look: Popped this baby into the one and only Aventinus glass. Seriously its my favorite glass in the world!
Pretty looking beer but the color was not what I was expecting. More apple cider looking then I expected.

Drink: For such a unique style this brew is DRINK-A-BLE, friendly and inviting. Have one of your friends taste one of these and watch them enter a new beer dimension; especially those who don't drink dark beers.

Notes: I forgot how special this beer is. Bored of all the wheats - the hefeweizens the wits - as well as the bocks, but pop the two together, SYMPHONY!
Really this is the best blend of two styles I've ever had. Lately there seems to be an attempt to do the same with barlywines, called wheatwines, not as high caliber
as this baby. Best German I can think of... maybe Weihenstephaner can come along on the German train as well.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Dark cloudy brownish-red. Off white average head...with some lacing
S: Very fruity - dark fruits / plums / raison / little clove / nutty / banana
T: Much of the same as smell...lots of dark fruits...also spices. Very complex & full bodied, & smoooth - loved it...Alcohol a little evident. Dryish finish
m: Found it to be a little moussey, beautfiul & soft...although a medium mouthfeel
D: Impressive, dry enough to keep me going back, & my palate loves the complexity. One of the smoothest mousseist beers I have tasted.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours cola, syrup brown with a a dainty little head. Smell is sweet malt, pancakes and syrup actually. Strange but awesome. Also hints of apricot, crisp red apples, clove. A very strong sweet cake and maple. Taste begins with a nice dark wheat bread and is followed by spicy clove, notes of apple and a bit of maple moves through. A bit of alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is coating but dry on the swallow. Very good Weizenbock!

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into an Aventinus weizen glass. Yeast swirled and poured with the beer.

A - Pours a dark and cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin layer of suds. Lacing is moderate.

S - Banana, clove, orange, dark fruit, and just a hint of alcohol.

T - Unbelievably complex. Dark fruit comes out the strongest, with some banana and spice coming through as well. The phenolic tones I caught in the nose are completely absent on the palate, which is fine by me.

M - Medium bodied, semi-dry finish. A hint of fruity sweetness lingers on the palate for just a moment, begging you to take another sip.

D - This one is as drinkable as any good dunkelweizen, despite the higher alcohol content. A finer wheat beer could not be asked for.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At first glance, it can be said that it has the exact tone of apple cider. The head is extremely uniform, sticking together to create a thin but consistent layer on the surface. Also, it has to be noted that there is a coat of yeast on the bottom as well as very tiny chunks floating around in the beer, something typical for a bottle fermenting beer.

The smell is good and has an array of flavors; it's obvious that this is a very complex drink. A starchy plantain scent is identifiable but everything else is as hazy as the color of the beer to me.

The creamy texture held my tongue a prisoner - and I had no issues with that. Caramel, fruits (citrus and a hint of grapes), cloves, and the wheat found in Belgian styles turned slid into my stomach with glee. And to top it off, although it's not that heavy, it's weighted and it definitely hits you where you want it to.

Overall, this beer was really good. The taste is extremely unwavering, which makes this a very approachable drink for almost anyone. Most importantly, it's not extreme in any sense of the word.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured out of a 500 mL bottle into a weizenbock glass.

A- Nice amber color with tints of orange reflections. An inch and a half of white head with tons of carbonation.

S- Smell of wheat and fruit were the first thing that came to mind.

T- The taste was a little to variable for me. At first the fruit and wheat were prevalent, but just when you thought the sweetness would settle on your tongue, the carbonation killed it. The fruit taste really came out mid-drink when the carbonation settled.

M- Medium-bodied and almost tasted like soda at first with all the carbonation.

D- At 8.2% abv, this beer is extremely drinkable, the alcohol is very well hidden.

Overall, a very nice beer that I wish had a little less carbonation. As I said before, the more you let the carbonation settle, the more the fruit and flavor are prolonged when consumed. I may store my other bottle for a while to see how it affects the beer.

4.6/5  rDev +6%

Pours dark brown colour with thin white-ish head. Smell - wheat, malts with hint of frutiness. Taste - it's great! Wheat, plums and raisins with hint of chocolate. It's really complex and alcohol is very well hidden there. Beer is very balanced and very drincable for the ABV. Fantastic brew I will definately go back to it!

3.95/5  rDev -9%

I poured this into a pint glass. With no tilt, Aventitus poured a cloudy brown, with a massive, thick head.

The smell is fresh, with apparent malt and yeast. Some fruity tartness is there; perhaps cranberries or cherries.

The flavor is complex and hard to pin down, seeming to change subtly between sips. The advertised cloves and banana did not arise until mid drink, but the whole time there was tart fruit; some times cranberry, other times raspberry. A welcome malty sweetness appeared here and there.

The beer is somewhat thick but very wet, and carbonated almost like a soda. Very refreshing and highly drinkable.