Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

A very cloudy brown/dark amber beer. Has a small beige head that evaporates quickly. A lot of clove character up front in the aroma. With some nutty malt notes in the background. The taste is malty sweet at first with some dried fruit notes in the middle. You get a hint of clove on the finish. Followed by the warming alcohol note on the end.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a deep red brown color with a slightly off-white head that is smaller in stature than I'd have thought it might be ... appears well carbonated, and some residual yeast in the pour toward the end. The nose is what I'd expect from a Weizenbock ... wheat, sweet malt, and a hint or two of mollasses. The pronounced yeast character almost smells Belgian to me. Palate is a nice agressive up front with good yeast and malted grain notes. Strong carbonation. Some slight spiciness, but mostly the sweet malts and a little banana bread suggestion. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but well balanced with the sweetness finishing pleasingly dry. Medium mouthfeel over all. I like this ... I can't say it quite lives up to the expectations I had for it, based on reputation, but this is a solid, Weizenbock all the way. If you're one for the style, it's a must try.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Revisited the Aventinus last night. My first experience with this beer was outstanding, my last, decidedly less so. Poured into a tulip with the color of a cola. Nice frothy head did not last long. Smelled of sweet clovey spice - a bit like a dunkel, but less banana bread. Taste was somewhat smokey, not overly spicey, not overly sweet. Some bitterness present. Light carob/caramel taste.

Moderate to light carbonation, which subsided as the beer warmed, leaving a nice full mouthfeel. Definately went down better at about the halfway point. Alcohol is not really too noticeable.

Don't know what went wrong last time, but this was very agreeable. I would not go so far to call it a favorite, but I'll certainly keep a couple on hand.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

I don't normally comment on bottles, but this had beautiful gold and purple designs with excellent print quality.

Smells just like a dunkelweizen with some alcohol and banana esters; perhaps a whiff of hop aroma. Vibrant, active head and a murky, rich brown color beneath. Strong bublegum with a sweet malt and a hint of hop dryness in the finish. There is a slight tartness missing from doppelbocks (maybe from the wheat?) Smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Served from a 500 ml bottle into a Ayinger Celebrator pedestal glass. I don't think I've ever had this style, and I'm not familiar with German beers at all, so this will be something new for me. So with the fact that I'm a total novice in mind, off we go...

Pours a dark mahogany cola-brown, with a huge tan head. The aroma is strongly spicy, with malts and fruits as well. The taste is malty and full at first, with definite banana flavors, before brining on the clove notes... this in turn introduces the wheat and yeast characteristics. The flavor finishes on a citrus-y, wheaty, almost astringent note. The mouthfeel is fairly light, like hefewiezen, but it is well-carbonated. If you enjoy this style, I could definitely see enjoying a glass or two of this.

Overall, tough for me to judge. To be honest, I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but this one is obviously well beyond most other brews. If you're a fan of the style, you don't need me to tell you to try it.

4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Color is a dark garnet-tinged amber-brown. Huge light tan head that sticks around impressively well.

Potent, estery, spicy aromas with lots of fruit and a bit of smoke too.

Begins innocently enough, then overtakes the palate and especially the nasopharynx with a sledgehammer of cocoa-accented clove flavor. Hint of alcohol is also apparent. Significant carbonation combined with fairly full body make for a chewy mouthfeel. Finishes impeccably smooth, making this beer tremendously drinkable despite its undeniable power.

I love the intensity of character here without a terrible amount of sweetness. It really makes this beer satisfying and drinkable. The only minor disappointment is that it doesn't have much in the way of complexity, although that shouldn't be surprising given the simplicity of the ingredients.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

It pours a dark purplish brown with a simply enormous head. I poured this beer into a large glass stein and had to pause for quite some time for this monster head to go down. As it did so, small clumps of this frothy head were left behind. Oddly, the head consisted of large bubbles toward its base, and the top of the head was almost like whipped egg whites. Real nice smelling beer, sweet malts, caramel, and a grape like fruitiness that I was not expecting. It is the same in taste. Terrific. Very smooth, the well measured carbonation lends a creamy mouthfeel. A nice spice twang that seems to eminate from the alcoholic warm in the back. I might sense a slight hop hint as well. Nice and balanced. Very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

I picked up a pint of this the other day from the Liquor Station because I needed a single and I thought I'd try something good. It was good, no doubt. One of the best I've had in a long time. But is it worth being one of the few 90+ brewskis on BA? Lower eighties would be insulting. Upper eighties, I'll give it that. But is this what an "A" is supposed to be?

While pouring it a thick head consumed my glass, leaving me with a glass that was 3/4 head and 1/4 beer. I thought, "Oh no, I'm gonna have to wait 5 minutes for this head to go down," but to my surprise it went away fairly quickly. The head was not what I was used to, and the awkwardness took away from the experience.

It had a creamy texture, sort of like Guinness, and tasted like a mix of fruit and chocolate. And seeing as it was up around 8% ABV I was surprised I couldn't taste a hint of alcohol.

A pleasing, but only slightly above average aftertaste also left this beer below perfection in my opinion.

Definately a high quality beer, no doubt, no question about it. If I gave it a rating though, I'd probably give it an 88. It was good, but as the first 90+ rated beer I've had, I have yet to be blown away.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a mildly cloudy deep copper hue with a four finger off white head. There was excellent retention and very good lacing.

The smell featured a spice clove aroma with a mildly sweet wheat malt. Nice caramel character. Good yeasty element as well.

The taste consisted of a good toasted wheat with a goodly amount of caramel sweetness. Good spicy clove as well.

The mouhfeel was full and very chewy. Very dry finish. Mild warming alcohol.

Overall an excellent beer. The natural progression up from the hefe. Remarkably drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Guinness pint glass
A: Brown color with a large brownish-tan head that diminishes quickly.
S: Caramalized malts and cherry.
T: Very fruity. Sweet cherries and burnt wheat. Subtle alcohol hints at the end. Pleasant. Finishes clean with cherry and grapefruit flavors.
M: Disappointed with the mouthfeel. It feels thin, but maybe I was expecting it to live up to Celebrator(I know its a different style), one of my all time favorites.
D: Don't get me wrong, its really good. But I don't think it is $5 a pint at a liquor store good. I'd much rather go and spend $12 on a four pack of Celebrator if I'm in a mood for something along these lines. Definitely worth a try, because I could see someone who thinks this beer is great.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Deep, dark forboding mahogany and very cloudy with a wispy off white head that leaves minimal lacing after dissipating from a huge white plume of foam.
S - Ripe dark fruit, dark cherry, alcohol, plum, citrus... wait, is this a Belgian Dubbel or Quad?
T - Dark fruity malt meets Hefe wheat.... no other style of beer tastes like this and this is the perfect example of what a Weizenbock should be. Toffee, chocolate, dates, figs, slight acidic and astringent citrus notes as well.
M - Big, full, smooth and very light at the same time.
D - At 8.2% the alcohol is warming but extremely well-hidden and this just begs to be enjoyed over and over... dangerous.
This is my favorite Weizenbock hands down with only Victory Moonglow even coming remotely close to this in flavor and body. This is on my top 10 (maybe 5) all time best brews ever. Timeless.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours out a thick, brown head, tons of it. Beer is a little hazy.

S: Molasses, chocolate and banana, wheat bread, cloves, wow! Lots of aromas that all meld perfectly and make this one of those beers you just love to swirl around and smell.

T: Initially tasted the wheat bread mentioned in the smell. Then more vanilla, cloves and alcohol became apparent. Bananna and caramel round out the flavors after warming in your mouth. Medium body and creamy.

D: Could drink this one all the time. Very pleasant that is enjoyable thru and thru. Easy drinking for a complex beer. Almost anyone could drink this one, even the beer haters.

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

I bought a .5L bottle and poured into a pint galss. Beer poured a cloudy brown as would be expected with bottle fermentation.

Got a large head (3 fingers) creamy. but did not last long. Did not leave a lace as others have noted.

Slightly fruity smell but not overwhelming. I expected a stronger smell. Taste is also fruity with hints of chocoate and carmel. Very nice mouthfeel. Pretty good amount of carbonation.

I liked the drinkability. The after taste is very nice and. Leaves a nice fruity taste which kinda hides the 8% alcohol congtent although I can see that drinking a lot of this beer could be dangerous if you want to drive a car or operate heavy machinery.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a nice, deep brown. Good sized tan head with nice lacing. Has an alcoholic nose, with clove, fruit and banana. Taste starts off sweet with a little bit of fruity tang, plus some slight caramel flavors. Finishes more with clove and an alcoholic taste. Heavy and creamy... though there is a crispness to the beer as well.

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Pours a dark amber in color. There is an excellent head to this beer, the best I've seen in so long. Big and beefy and would hang on to the end if you didn't drink it. Very pleasing.

Smell:
Rich scents of banana bread blast up from the glass. Very sweet with just the right alcohol uppercut.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
It's nice and smooth and paints your mouth with the banana bread taste I smelled from the pour. There's a weird and welcomed tropical fruit note that kind of undulates amongst the banana bread flavors. The alcohol sting has disappeared for the most part but there's still a little kick in the fore.

Drinkability:
I was expecting this to drink a little heavier but I was pleasantly shocked. The beer is very tasty and pretty refreshing, but with an 8% ABV this could easily become a danger beer.

Bottom Line:
A very interesting and delicious beer. A fine addition to any German beer fans repetoir.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

This is massive beer by every measure, especially taste, smell, mouthfeel, alcohol content. The color is deep brown, almost beginning to redden with sparkling carbonation. The offwhite head was small and dissipated quickly and no lace ever formed. The smell is smoky and clove-spicy with dark fruity aromas. The higher than average alcohol is detectable in the nose. The taste is complex and multilayered with deep wheaty malts and bready notes followed by sharp spicy phenols with significant tart character. The mouthfeel is warming from the alcohol to be sure and very carbonated and crisp, almost sharp. The finish is long and not solventy, but a bit hot. This is very drinkable, in spite of its high alcohol content. A superb beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy brown with a 1 inch layer of creamy off white head on top. This beer has the best head retention I've ever seen. Aroma is yeasty, smells like a wheat beer, masking most of the malts. Carmel like malts and maybe chocolate are evident in the flavor along with the yeasty flavor. There is a faint alcohol burn in the finish, but overall it hides the high alcohol volume well. Full bodied. Drinkability is great, it would be easy to drink more than one (but it might not be a good idea).

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Split a bottle of this one with my dad last night.

Appearance: Nice head, tawny in color with purple highlights. Little in the way of lacing, however.

Smell: Smells like a maltier, darker hefeweizen. Bubblegum aromas in particular stood out, along with caramel malt and a bit of tanginess.

Taste: Lots of weizen-like phenolics, but enough malt character to keep them in check. Hops balance, but don't play much of a flavor role themselves. Alcohol is obviously higher than average.

Mouthfeel: Body is rather thick, along with the bubble gum flavors makes it seem a bit medicinal.

Drinkability: Good, but not exceptional.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

This is my first experience with any kind of non-american wheat beer. I probably should have started with a traditional hefe, but a buddy bought this for me at the bar one night.

Appearance: Pours out a thick, brown head. Head was much darker than I expected. However, with the consistency of the beer, I was surprised at how quickly the head dissipated. Dissapointing... The beer itself was an extremely hazy brown. Under the dim light of the Electro Lounge, it almost looked as if there were bits of sediment floating around.

Smell: Heaven. Rich chocolate and carmel with a touch of vanilla. Little bit of dark fruit, almost like raspberries. Delightful.

Taste: Much more of the subtle layers of chocolate. Still got a lot of carmel, as well. Layers of vanilla were intermingled . As the beer got warmer, (was served at about 40 degrees F), I began noticing the presence of the yeast more. Lingering notes of banana bread and soft mocha replaced what was previously chocolate and carmel. Incredible taste.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly full bodied beer. Some may argue viscosity and an almost "syrupy" mouth feel, but I believe this beer is pure velvet. Slides across the tongue depositing lingering pockets of taste to delight the palate. Very nice.

Drinkability: The only thing about this beer that I had any issue with. Not that it's necessarily hard to drink, but that it is something that should not be consumed in any sort of excess due to it's overall sweetness, amount of yeast and alcohol content. Not a beer to trifle with, which is sad, because it's so delicious.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Rich brown with a very tan head... tons of very tan head. The beer itself is a little hazy, with no lacing and weak head retention, but it's still pretty on the intial pour.

Smell: A mix of blackberry cheesecake, molasses, chocolate and banana... quite the nasal experience.

Taste: Dark chocolat runs the show with supporting characters of molasses, banana, fudge, breadiness. The aftershow is lead by a strawberry character that allows the brew to clear the palate nicely.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol is the major presence here, and really makes the brew enjoyable to the palate.

Drinkability: This beer stays interesting through the whole session which is helped by its full flavored nature. The one draw back is how rich it is.

4.95/5  rDev +14.1%

I've reviewed this on several occasions. Ratings above are of my most recent tasting....

Review of 10-28-06:

AP: 4.5, SM: 4.5, T: 4.5, MF: 4.5, D: 4.0

Dark muddy hazy brown brew with a giant head that lingers for awhile and slight glow when held up to the light

Refreshing mouthfeel. Kinda tingly. The aroma is warm and inviting.

Dark spicy wheat bread, lots of cloves, a bit of cinanum and nut meg, a tiny tinge of bananas, a strange mix of citrus (maybe sorta a tiny bit of orange)

The hops I know are there but they seem to only lend a tiny bitter note to the otherwise fruity/spicy mix.

Lots of alcoholic warmth

The best part is at the end, as this beer is best enjoyed by leaving a little beer in the bottle, then swirling it (or rolling the bottle horizontally on the bar) and then pouring the remainder into your glass so you get all of the yeast. The extra yeast adds a very pleasant spiciness to the end.

This bottle is not as good as some I've had (maybe it is too cold). I thought it improved as it warmed up, but still wasn't quite to the level of past Aventinus bottles. I also wonder if it could be the age of the bottle (Aventinus to me really improves with several months or more of aging). The aroma is still superb in this bottle, but the flavor is slightly less complex than normal.

Also another difference to note, is that the label now says it is 8.2% ABV, while it used to be 8.0% ABV. I wonder if the recipe has changed or what?

Review of 1-1-10: One of the great beers. My all time favorite over the years, so take this with a grain of salt. Enjoyed tonight after midnight on New Year's day 2010.

Massive richness. Magnificent aroma. The aroma is full of nice rich honey wheat bread. A bit of banana and citrus. Tons and tons of spices. Cloves for sure. Maybe a a little bit of cinnamon. A little of prckliness from maybe some hops and carbonation.

Thinking of all of the dear friends I've enjoyed this beer with over the years, as I drink it again tonight. Happy New Years to all!

2-23-10 - Changed the taste rating from 1-1-10 from 4.5 to 5.0. Have no idea why I said this was only a 4.5 that night. Must have enjoyed "too much alcoholic warmth"

5-11-12 - Changed the overall rating. This is 5.0 beer if there ever was one.

appearence: poured murky dark brown with a ruby hint accompanied by a small off white head which left a small amount of lacing.

smell: heavy caramel malt scent, sweet banana, hint of clove or allspice, also a hint of alcohol

taste and mouthfeel: began with a fizzy sweet caramel with a hint of root beer (weird), ended dry, clove spice and a long acidic aftertaste such as lemon. Has a nice mouthfeel, full body, clean, and well balanced flavor.

drinkability: smooth

Overall imo this brew is really good. Love the subtle flavor of clove, fruit and root beer. Having drank several weizenbock this is the best on so far.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

Good dark brown with just a hint of ruby red shining thru. The mouthfeel was full body one of the best features about it.mid palate was a nice fruitcake with dried plums and a splash of chocolate.
For most of the flavor being on the sweetside the finish leans toward a dry clovelike finish. This company is the king of wheat beers!

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Pours to a plum colored amber with a finger thick head that dissipates quickly. Smells of wheat and hmmm grapes, plums or prunes, not sure.

Taste definitely was prunes I think, with wheat and a bit of alcohol in the background. Finish was a chocolate covered clove leaf.

Swishing about the mouth brings out the suds and alcohol taste, a light and frothy feel.

Drinkability is good but the alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer.