Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aventinus poured a deep brown color with a large head that never quite went away. I poured the entire contents of the bottle into my glass, including the yeast at the bottom, so it was nice and cloudy. The aroma was heavenly with whiffs of bubblegum, spices and malt in the nose. Taste was equally impressive with notes of clove, spices, chocolate and malt in the palate. This beer was medium to full bodied and had a nice spicy/sweet finish with just a touch of alcoholic warmth. This is really an incredible Weizenbock and one that I will come back to again and again. Recommended.

rodrot, Feb 28, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

This is an incredibly deep, rich, sweet beer for a weizenbock.

Pours dark mahogony with a slight head that fades away quickly.

Aromas are of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla and butterscotch.

Taste is deep, rich and sweet for a weizenbock. Quite an impressive taste. Nice alcohol warmth.

Big beer with big taste, aroma and big alcohol kick.

BillyB, Feb 26, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Pours a nice dark cloudy copper color with a big off-white head. It also has good lacing

S - Strong aroma of the sweet wheat which gives it a nice chocolate orange aroma.

T - Tart wheat flavor. Kind of lemony but with backgrounds of malty sweet. There is a strong alcohol aroma on the end of it.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink, if it wasnt for the tartness of it.

D - For its style I think it is very drinkable. Nice would be nice on cool summer nights.

quasimoto, Feb 25, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours out a dark root beer - cola brown with a fluffy, thick tan head that rises happily despite the imperfect cleanliness of my glass - it sits there in a fat layer despite no visible rising bubbles. I do what I can to add all of the yeast, but it is well compacted and some remains in the bottle.

Cotton candy, bubble gum. What an unusual scent. It's like a fruity Belgian to the tenth power! Very one sided and powerful, but not unpleasant.

Fruity, fruity, bananas, just a tiny bit of orange peel zest, marshmallow sugar - oak, mahogany, wood chips - spicy, clove/coriander yeast and hops. Holy smokes, there are a TON of VERY distinct flavors in here. It's like a car running up through the gears. I can taste each one of them individually and in turn. Extremely full-flavored. This is a sipper, for sure. It's damn near a Belgian. Try to drink quickly and fusel alcohols really stand out.

A bit spritzy / seltzery on the tongue, unfortunately, which is a bit of a drawback. It's not bad, but being a bit smoother and less carbonated would complement the full flavors better than the carbonation does as is.

Very nice! This deserves to be rated so highly. I've never had such complex, full tastes from a bock before, which is saying something.

Tupperwolf, Feb 21, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a hefeweizen glass.

Pours dark copper with bubbles contiously rising from the base/bottom of the beer. 3 finger deep chunky tan head. Good head retention and lacing

Smell: Bubbegum, pepper & not much else

Taste: Frutiness, yeasty/band-aid, bannana peel, pepper, oaky and vanilla notes. and alcohol. Dryness, pumpernickle, frutiness and pheynolic tastes in the finish

MF: Hard to believe a beer with this much heft can be this effervescent (sp?)

Very drinkable but tastes are too intnese to make this a session choice. Not a huge weizen guy. I think the bock side of this appeals to me more. This is probably amongst top 3 of the weizenbocks I've tried. I'd love to have this with a rueben sandwich & some pickles or hell even blutwurst, enjoy. I do like everything this brewery puts out that I've tried, despite the fact they are ALL wheat beers.

russpowell, Feb 17, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy, amber beer with a thick, beige head. Heavy aroma with sweetness, toffee, cloves, dried fruits, a little banana and a hint of alcohol. It is quite fizzy in the mouth, but not as sticky as expected, and flavors of caramell, cloves, hops, alcohol, banana and dried fruits swirls around your mouth along with some yeasty notes, finishing off in a sweet, yet bitter, warming aftertaste that leaves you very satisfied. Full-bodied classic beer, and it was a good choice for this cold, snowy evening. It left me very pleased. (060216)

yngvar, Feb 16, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

It was a very clear dark amber with fantastic white head. It was fairly well carbonated and looked great in the glass. The smell was very wheaty almost like a hef. It was very cidery in scent with tons of floral notes. The only deduction I had was that an alcohol quality was sensed during wafting. It tastes of malty richness as wheat fills the mouth. It is exceptional for the style but a tinge too sweet for my taste buds. The mouthfeel was creamy and rich but not too thick- fantastic. I found this beer to be very drinkable and I will break another one out during the summer, poolside.

poluti, Feb 16, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Deep brown color, but not anything like opaque, with a light tan head. The smell and taste are so much more like a typical hefe-wiezen than I expected. Loads of hefe yeast in the nose, in fact, thats nearly all. Taste is pretty much typical hefe too, bananna and clove plus wheat, but both the smell and taste have a little something extra. I guess it would be a caramelized malt, but it does not have nearly the impact that color would make me guess it would have. The other thing is that the alcohol is extremely well masked. The mouthfeel is pretty light as well. This beer is pretty interesting and really well done.

zjungleist, Feb 16, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

This is a review for the Aventinus 2001 vintage, consumed in 2006. Basically this is the regular Aventinus, but brewed in 2001 and aged by the brewery -- which is an interesting idea, as it gives people who don't have appropriate aging spaces (such as myself) a chance to taste this beer in a more "mature" state. I tasted this beer side-by-side with a bottle of "regular" Aventinus purchased at the same time.

Pours almost the color of polished cherry wood -- quite dark and much more dark than regular Aventinus. The aroma is quite distinctive -- in this beer, the typical clove/banana/spice combo is pushed to the back of the nose, and up in front is a very sweet, candi/beet sugar type of smell. Something you'd expect more in a very dark Belgian winter ale than in a German bock. This sweetness is also present in the flavor, the complexity of which has been diminished to something cloying. I keep thinking this is what concentrated date syrup would be like. Not terribly appetizing or interesting. Mouthfeel is a bit surprising: it's a bit thinner than regular Aventinus, perhaps just a bit watery.

Overall, sad to say, I don't think aging is the best thing to do with a bottle of Aventinus. Aging has reduced the complexity of this beer, in aroma, flavor and even mouthfeel, with the only recompense being more candi-sugar-like sweetness. Not a good tradeoff. As an interesting experiment, I recommend trying this (especially alongside a bottle of regular Aventinus), but I, personally, can't imagine drinking this vintage beer without pairing it with very specific food items (the most sugary roasted sweet meats, some desserts). Worth a try but not a revelation by any means.

geexploitation, Feb 13, 2006
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer was a vintage 2000. The beer came wrapped in a wrapper with things written on it that happened in the year 2000. Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very cloudy murky dark copper coloration. There is a minimal head. No lacing is apparent in the glass.

Smell: The beer has a massive sweet maltyness. There is a biscuity quality that when combined with the spicy cinnoman and apples creates a faux apple pie smell.

Taste: The beer really delivers on the smell. The hops have mellowed out. The malty sweetness combines with an apple pie kind of taste. There is the wierd prescence of bannanas in the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium bodied. Carbonation is low. The beer is a very smooth drinking beer overall. I have had this one alot fresher and I seem to recall it being better fresh. Oh well, I will give this one another drink next week.

nlmartin, Feb 10, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This is the 2000 vintage Aventinus:

I bought this bottle in Wisconson on my last beer run right before Christmas. I'm excited to try an aged Aventinus and wonder what the differences are between the 5 to 6 year aged and the original. I don't know if it's because of the aging process, but there is a little white powderof some sort around the rim underneath the cap.

The beer pours out a little less head than a fresh hefeweizen, but I can only guess that that is due to the aging process. The lacing is a little less pronounced. The same dark brown color is present, but looks more inviting.

Smell is very spicy and very fruity and flavorful. It's excellent! It has so many flavors like raspberry. It's very mellow with a little more coffee tone.

The taste is familiar, but with slightly different tones. I taste a dark fruit that is light. I also taste clove with a hint of nutmeg.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a slight carbonation.

Drinkability is good, but to find another 2000 is most likely impossible.

Erdinger2003, Feb 06, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

appearance - it is a solid caramel color, not at all what i was expecting. pretty unique color wise, thick appearance and little foaming.

taste - it says 'dopplebock' on the bottle but it tastes more like a hefe-weisse to me, its lighter and more fruity. tastes like a rich fruity caramel. not my style really, but still it is the best of this kind ive had.

drinkability - unlike other 'fruity' beers it had more staying power, it didnt get any worse or more plain as i drank more. quality beer but not as deep as the best ones. it says its 8% but i couldnt tell where the alcohol was, its hidden extremely well and i hardly felt it either.

Optimat0r, Feb 04, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

medium cola brown with a touch of red. an inch of loud bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

cloves, bananas and a cola sweetness in the aroma.

bananas and a malty sweetness in the taste. heavy mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. leaves the taste of cloves in the aftertaste, but the finish is fairly empty. second glass tastes better than the first with the sediment adding some complexity. straightforward and drinkable, but nothing stellar.

Prufrock, Feb 04, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours medium dark, cloudy and thick dense head, looks wonderful! Aroma what you would expect of a wheat beer, fruity, bananas, cloves, a touch more malty than the lighter wheats, and sweeter. Head clings to the side of the glass (I am lucky to have the special Weiss beer glasses, one from Scneider, and Unertl and Weltenburger, so I can serve them at home properly!!) Wonderful rich fruity taste, richer and more malty than pale wheat beers, balance just right between crisp freshness and malty sweetness, not too sweet, just right. But still retains that fresh zestiness of a wheat beer. Not sure I would have realised it is 8%, as its very easy to drink. I love this beer, definately in my top ten of all time favourites. Heaven would be drinking this at the Schneider Brewery tap in Germany!!!! If only....

John W
B'ham UK

JohnW, Feb 01, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Holy cow. Dark cloudy brown with a HUUUGE head, and I wasn't even trying. Giant bubbles quickly break down though, into a loose covering. Head retention is the weak point of this brew. Looks good though (except the head)

S - Yeast is first and foremost, with a strong menthol like coolness in the bottle. In the glass ripe dark fruits explode.

T - Mixed berries and mild bitterness. A touch of that cooling menthol/alcohol is noticeable. Who'd a thunk a beer could clear your sinuses. Sweetness that matches the fruit well, and a tartness follow. Some spiciness now - cloves maybe a touch of anise.

M - Medium bodied, maybe on the heavier side, but not at all chewy. Drying finish. Carbonation is a bit biting but short lived in the mouth - champagne like.

D - Another please. I pick up more tomorrow. Absolutely fabulous.

allergictomacros, Feb 01, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

2012 review (has it really been six years since my review of this)

Bottle from Hyvee in West Omaha, NE, USA
Poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass
11.340 stamped on label.

Pours a big, fluffy, hefeweizen-style off-white head that bubbles down to a centimeter-thick layer of tiny bubbles for the duration of the drinking session. As the foam descends, it leads to modest lacing on the sides of glass, giving one a clear view of beer’s deep mahogany color under normal lighting and light amber or garnet colors when held up to the bulb. Smoky and hazy in appearance due to the yeast, allowing just enough light through to see shadow imprints of my hand on the glass. Nearly perfect.

Aroma opens with musty yeastiness, bananas, and mild wheat malt. This is followed by a solid brown sugar scent, concluding with dark, dried fruit aromas, such as prunes, with added mild alcohol.

Taste opens with strong, dark wheat malt joined closely to flavors of vanilla, brown sugar, and prunes or figs. General pie spice spiciness is present, a bit of nutmeg joined to the heat of cloves. Closes with slightly tart wheat malt and caramelized sugar sweetness joined to modestly detectable ethanol. Aftertaste is of wheat malt twang with caramelized sugar and mild yeast.

Medium to medium-heavy body with modest carbonation that leads to a pillowy, comfortingly smooth mouthfeel. Mildly bitter, dry aftertaste that leaves one wanting more.

A: Pours a big, fluffy, hefeweizen-style off-white head that bubbles down to a centimeter-thick layer of tiny bubbles for the duration of the drinking session. As the foam descends, it leads no lacing on the sides of glass, giving one a clear view of beer's deep brown color under normal lighting and light amber or garnet colors when held up to the bulb. Smoky and hazy in appearance due to the yeast, but by no means impenetrably dark or thick.
S: Following the wheat style, the expected yeast smells lead into a strong burnt sugariness and ends with a deep sensation of sticking one's nose into a pile of prunes with an added mild alcohol aroma. All scent seems to diminish as the beer warms, with seemingly no new or fresh emphasis arising from the temperature change; strange. I would have liked to see a moderately constant or temperature-dimensional nose.
T: What first hits the tongue is a spicy clove aspect that starts out strong and weakens throughout the entire drinking experience. Alongside this there is a sweet, caramelized brown sugar taste that coalesces with the traditional banana flavor of other hefeweizens. Essences of slightly sour plum arise in the finish, with a slight hop presence for bittering effect.
M: Medium to heavy body with light, barely noticeable carbonation that leads to quite a smooth mouthfeel. Mildly bitter, dry aftertaste that leaves one wanting more.
D: Used a standard weizen glass for pouring this one, which worked out perfectly with its typical weiss head and rich color spectrum. I enjoyed the beer less as it warmed, however, for the deeper aspects of the taste and smell, the appealing parts of the beer to me, began to fade as this happened. That lessens my overall scoring in the smell and taste category, as well as this one. When I first started sampling the beer it was quite good, and remained above average throughout, but the decrease in its otherwise great attributes led me to conclude it as "above average" instead of purely excellent. I could, however, drink this relatively often on its positive aspects alone.

falloutsnow, Jan 30, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

750 ml bottle into Aventinus tulip glass.

This beer will always be special for me. I guess you could say it was the first beer that I fell in love with. Back in summer 2001, before my senior year in college, I was down in the DC/Baltimore area with a couple friends. We were at a bar near the harbour area in Baltimore that I can't remember the name of. But it had a great beer selection. Aventinus, which even then I loosely considered my favorite beer, was on the menu, and I had to have it. It was served in the classic Aventinus tulip glass -- the first time I had seen this glass. The bouquet the beer released in its proper glass solidified my love of beer forever.

Which brings me to tonight's tasting, in my own Aventinus tulip.

Pours a hazy, medium-deep brown, with a big, frothy head that sticks around for awhile.

The wonderful bouquet explodes from the glass and hits me from a foot away before I'm even done pouring, sending me into premature beergasm. Tons of fruit -- plums, figs, rum-raisin, caremelized bananas, Juicy Fruit gum, cloves, anise, alcohol esters. Incredible.

It tastes of banana bread, spiced rum, and dark ripe fruits -- dates, raisins, figs.

Silky smooth on the palate, thanks to fine carbonation. Finishes dry and warming. I could drink this all night.

I can't say enough about this beer. I have had many, many great beers since that day in Baltimore nearly five years ago, but I keep coming back to Aventinus, my first love.

petemoss14, Jan 29, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours nut brown with a monstrous head that dissipates to nothing.

Smell is dark fruit such as plum and raisin and sweet carmelized malt. Light nuttiness. Slight alcohol notes.

Taste is similiar to the nose. This brew has a strong dark fruit presence with the plum flavor taking the lead. Sweet malt with hints of nut and caramel. A touch of hops in the finish with spices such as pepper and clove. The high ABV is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium and highly carbonated. I don't normally like carbonation, but in this brew it works fine.

This is an amazing, complex brew. I have not had another brew quite like this. If you haven't had it, you need to get it.

Blakaeris, Jan 28, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured much like a bottle of Cola, light brown and super fizzy. The head even when poured slowly fills all the way up to the top.

Smell is dominated by dark fruit and toffee flavors, with hints of plum, raisons, dates, chocolate, and bananas.

Taste is dominated by the sweet fruit flavors, very strong with the banana nut, and plum flavors. Very malty with almost no hint of hops at all.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and slightly oily.

Drinkability is very good on this tasty treat.

bashiba, Jan 28, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from the bottle into the Aventinus Weizen glass the beer was a mohogany brown color with three fingers of white fuffy head. The head was very blossoming and needed a carefull pour so as not to allow it to spill over the glass. The finished pour had the head crown the glass like an ice cream cone. Lots of carbonation bubbles streamed up the glass and continued to do so throughout the sample. Some lacing, but not as much as I expected. Still one of the best looking beers I've seen.

The smell was floral and fruitty. Raisin and banana aromas with malt, slight chocolate, caramel, freshly buttered toast.

The tast has so many flavors and so well balanced that it's hard to pick them out. A definite floral fruitty palate is the dominant taste. Chocolate covered raisons, bananas, some spicy clove, figs, and plums. Malty in the finish and very smooth to drink. Alcohol is well masked until the beers warms at which time you can tell this is of bock strength.

Mouthfeel is creamy in consistancy with a firm medium body, and well carbonated.

Supremely drinkable and enjoyable. So many flavors might lead to sensory overlaod, but the beer is well balanced with the fruit and spice and slight chocolate all complimenting each other. Nothing gets in the way of anything else. Smooth and easy to drink, although the alcoholic effects do kick in after consumption, so this is one to limit to one bottle and sip and savor.

Sycodrummer, Jan 27, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A world classic, This beer is not in a style,, it defines a style. This particular bottle is probably 1 1/2 years old. I usually buy by the case and slowly consume over time keeping a bottle or two in the fridge always.

bottle is a 16.9 oz crown (standard) and of course served in a .5l Aventinus glass.

color: dark brown with light tan head covers the wide glass.
aroma: fruity, banana, clove, spice
taste: chocolate, caramel, spice, banana & clove are more subdued with age
mouthfeel: very smooth and easy drinking for the abv.

aleyeast, Jan 27, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark tawny brown, hazy. Aroma is spicy and rich. One of the best smelling beers ever: orange peel, cinnamon, slightly peppary. Quite fizzy with tiny little bubbly head. Flavor leans toward malty with a slight citrus, slight sour edge. Perfect like that. Caramelish malts are evident is balance the sour. Something very very nice, but unexplainable in the finish. Uber satisfying to drink. Very little hop presence. I am a hop head but would not mess with this beer and add more. Top beer.

ahking, Jan 22, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance- Deep, dark colors ranging from ruby to dark amber. Cloudy. Generous, clingy off-white head.

Smell- Tart, spicy aroma. Contains a mix of raisin-like fruit scents, clove spice, and alcohol. Slightly nutty.

Taste- Sublime & chewy. Sweet and tangy up front, with notes of dark fruits and carmelized malt. Clove flavors hit the taste buds later on, and the alcohol lends an estery, fruity taste to the finish. Overall hop bitterness is low. Alcohol is present, but well-concealed.

Verdict- Sweet, sweet nectar! This is loaded with flavor, but it's not raucous or overbearing. It's complex and mysterious; a wonderful, delicious beer.

bearrunner44, Jan 22, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +6%

Little to no head, but it doesn't take away from what this is. Dark brown beer, with a slight golden hue.

Light smell, malty with hints of bananas, but a deeper roasted aroma that is inviting and altogether delicious.

The taste. Jesus, what can I say about the taste? It's got the prominent malty characteristics of a doppelbock. It has the crisp, clean taste of a hefeweizen plus the over-the-top banana and wheat-taste of a dunkel. There's a huge yeast presence in the aftertaste. Vinous and grape flavors are abounding. Seriously? One of the best beers I've ever had. I could drink this for days on end, and never stop, but that would probably destroy my social life and my family and really, who wants to talk about that? Damn, a GREAT BEER!

Litterbean, Jan 21, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -6%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. A thin layer of yeast sediment remained in the bottle.

A—deep, dark, rich brown; about a 1 inch thick foamy head that disappeared quickly, light lacing on the glass

S—spicy with a strong plum scent; a little banana and clove aroma as well. I do not like plums so I am not enjoying the smell as much

T—rich mild chocolate taste with nice combo of raison, caramel, and clove flavors; a little floral as well

M—strong carbonation; somewhat slimy to me, but finishes really nice

D—enjoyed trying it due to the positive BA reviews. I can clearly see why it is rated so high. I liked the taste very much but the smell was a little strong and foul for me.

This is my first wheat doppelbock so I do not have a comparison. The presentation, taste and mouthfeel are wonderful. I just don't care for the smell as much.

hanco005, Jan 20, 2006