Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into Watou chalice. Not sure if this is the proper glassware, but what the hell it looks good. Deep reddish brown color with thick head which quickly disappears to a thin ring around the glass.

I'm trying to increase my exposure to German beers, and this one proves that the Germans know what they're doing. Aroma is extremely inviting, bready and fruity. It delivers the fruit bread flavor and adds an alcohol punch.

Nice.

TurdFurgison, Nov 05, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aventinus is one of those beers I have always consumed and almost take for granted. Recently I ordered a batch from my local store though--it had been a while and I felt like rediscovering it. In its absence I found a new appreciation for this phenomenal beer. Just seeing the attractive purple-labelled bottle is enough to make me salivate. I want it at my local store for good, because this is truly a world class German beer. It always pours into my weizen glass nicely, if done slowly and carefully. The head can be as enormous as you see fit. Ultra-creamy, off-white bubbles form and give off the wonderful aroma very intensely after pouring. Sheets of lace cover the sides, sticking tenaciously, or sometimes running down the glass. The beer is full of colour: purples and burgundy, caramel or murky brown, ruby, maple and amber. Always impermeable too: the beer looks thick and hazy. The beer's appearance literally induces drinking. The first big, chunky aroma from this beast is the banana. Fresh, strong, almost rotten banana smells. Dried banana. The intense banana is not artificial smelling at all, as some unfiltered wheat beers smell as though they have had banana extract dumped into them. This is refreshing, natural and extremely appetising. Behind the fruitiness is the strong sweet maltiness with a little of the warming, port-like alcohol. The yeastiness is delicious, reminding me of the very first German hefeweizens I ever tried. Dates, prunes, light licorice, plums, and red wine. The malts add some saltiness, some meatiness. This is one beer very easy to over-sniff: the aroma is massively complex, yet very powerful. Sometimes you can smell it too much and it numbs your nose for a few minutes. The aroma is intense and can be overpowering, but only if you let it. The aroma is like a very good hefeweizen, with the addition of more alcohol and more maltiness, which begs the question: Why are there not more weizenbocks in this world? Again, I could go on and on about the smells in this beer's aroma, but we must move on to the taste. The taste could inevitably be compared to rich red wine. There literally is a very strong red grape taste in the beer. Even the tannic dryness is present. The finish clearly evinces that this is a beer though--strong banana yeastiness, perfumy hops and rich malting. The alcohol does come through quite strongly in the middle, but it is never overpowering--instead it reminds me of the taste one might get from warm brandy. Delectable dark fruits and mouth-filling maltiness. There are enough strong tastes here to deter the second sip of a beer-neophyte, but once this beer hacks its way to your beer-heart, this is at once both one of the most refreshing and complex strong beers you could ingest. Think the revitalising characteristics of a cold hefe with the arcane complexity of an aged barleywine. The carbonation on this beer is medium, the mouthfeel definitely full. A beer equally satisfying on a cold night or a warm one. I have tried Aventinus with a variety of different cheeses, and they all complement it very well. Try aged cheddar or gorgonzola--they were particularly good with this beer. This is one of those beers that truly does make Germany the preeminent beer producer; and it is one of those beers that we should feel privileged to experience every time we take a sip.

Cwrw, Nov 04, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber, the color of Coke of Pepsi. Nice, tightly bubbled 2" off-white head, dissipates leaving little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet and fruity malts, plum like, hints of caramel.

Taste: Beginning is sweet malt, hints of dark berry fruits, caramel.
Very clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, velvety, almost creamy. Perfect carbonation level.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable. Typically not my style of beer BUT, I'm really starting to like Weizenbocks. Super easy to drink, alcohol well hidden. Malty and sweet. Makes me wish I bought more than 1 bottle. I great change of pace for me. Definately seek this one, perfect for a cool autumn evening. Compare with Victory Moonglow.

SwillBilly, Oct 28, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -38.2%

Aventinus

Appearance- dark hazy brown with a big thick head. Had to wait a few minutes and continue pouring.
Smell- Whoa.... Pepper and cloves!!!!
Taste- watery and thin with nothing more than clove and pepper.
Mouthfeel- watery. Slight bubbly carbonation.

Overall- The first sip gives you all this clove and pepper, and just when you think the beers about to kick it up a notch... it doesn't.
A beer I could drink a few of, but not worthy of the price. Not a bad 1 but nothing special here either!!!

NJpadreFan, Oct 27, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this bottle up in Portland at a Whole Foods Market.

The color was a unique color that can be called a hazy, almost purple hued amber color. The beer poured with a big, beautiful head that retained very well. Lacing hung out around the top half of the glass.
The nose was sweet banana and with some yeasty, spicy elements to it as well.
The taste was spectacular, and no beer that I've encountered compares. The taste ranges from both bananas and also darker fruites to bready and doughy. This beer is complex, and my girlfriend commented about it's favorable comparison to wine. An excellent brew. Warmed nicely and allowed more flavors to slowly peak out.
This is a medium to full bodied beer that retains it's high drinkability because of the complex taste. I didn't want to put this down, and I am already considering driving up to Portland to pick up a few more bottles.
One truly great brew.

edmundfitzoil, Oct 26, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the first beer I'm re-reviewing in a different serving type. Why? Cause it's freakin' great. Poured into my big ole' weizen glass, the head took up half the height at first. The bubbles swirled around like living organisms until they settled into sweet beer. Once I tasted this, the malts and banana flavors were brilliant--sweet, rich, beautiful...poifect. This is unique. I don't know of any other beers that taste like this...or look like it. It's dark purple, dear heavens. You have to try this just to say you did, or because it's one of the best brews out there. Great. Bold. Innovative. Try it, my friend.

GnomeKing, Oct 25, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Last time I had this was I was sipping it in the Weisses Brauhaus am Tal in Munich. This time from the bottle. Pours a cloudy(yeast) orange-tinted brown with about an inch head that dissipates quickly to a standard collar. Smell is rich and full of banana bread, clove and loads of yeast spice--malty and sweet. Taste upfront is deep caramelized banana wheatiness. The hefe characteristic is magnified to epic proportions. Very round flavor. Then there's a slow progression into a warming clove finish. Hops are nominally present for bittering only. Delicious. Delicious banana burps. Mouthfeel is low medium but the carbonation is strong, working to create a very creamy mouthfeel, not unlike some belgian strong ales. Utterly drinkable at 8%, but one is more than enough for my tastes. I still prefer standards doppels.

numenor1, Oct 24, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours to a white head and cloudy amber color. Aroma is strong in esters, especially apple, banana and clove. Maltiness is also evident in the nose. Flavor is a very rich blend of sharp wheat flavors blended with fruity and spicy flavors contributed by the yeast. Alcohol wafts into the nasal passage as it dries out upon swallowing. Some spicy hop notes are noticable. This weizenbock is balanced, flavorful, potent and technically flawless.

EagleTalon, Oct 22, 2005
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

It's always a good way to end a day... to dive into this one. A look that is prototypical of a dark wheat (dark mohogany and clearly hazy!?), but after that, it's nearly perfect. Aromas are that of a light barleywine with bubblegum (juicy fruit) and esters (banannas and cloves). The flavors are intensely similar. Bigger and bolder sweetness than expected in wheat beers but complex and bold nonetheless. More akin to and Urbock. So is the body, texture, and mouthfeel. Wheat-like malty/bready flavors show nicely from nose to finish. Sweet and malty in the finish and with a fruity, warming aftertaste. One of the best beers out there.

BEERchitect, Oct 21, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep cherry walnut hue with a MONSTER of a head. The head gradually subsides to about a 1/2" beige cap.

Smells of fruits are overcome by big whafts of banana. There is a richness to the smell, a tone of quality and solidity. Also a strong bite of clove and malt to the odor... excellent smelling brew.

Incredible tasting beer. Fruity, zesty, and rich. Lots of banana, with the addition of dark fruit. I cannot taste too much of the chocolate that the brew says is in the taste, but a small hint of toffee is certainly there. As the beer warms, this becomes more evident. There is a brevity and tightness to the finish that is common in many high-quality hefe's.

The mouthfeel is rich, creamy, yet lively. A delight as soon as it hits your tongue.

All in all, what an incredible beer... a beautiful example of how hefe's and bocks can be combined to create an outstanding brew.
I paid $4.50 for this 500ml I believe, and will certainly grab it again the next time I see it.

nickss, Oct 19, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Foamy head, elegant bulbs, malty bitterness is formidably smoothed with flavours of dark chocolate, peach, figs and hints of tropical fruits (mango?);

This is the grand cru blanc de noir champagne of beers, complex but accessible ...

Handle with care (8 % ABV !!) ...

Daredevil, Oct 12, 2005
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

A: pours a nice deep amber. Nice head (not too much, not too little). Very inviting. Cloudy, unfiltered look.

S: Malty doppelbock. Maybe even fruity malt-ish.

T: A well balanced sweet, malty, fruity orgasm in the mouth. Very complex, but smooth.

M: Warm alcohol with cream highlights.

D: If you like a Weizenbock you won't be able to put it down. I bought it out of state 1-2 years ago, and I believe that it gets better with age, but, since you can now get it in NC, I will be cleaning out my stash for things that can't be bought in NC (looking for 120 min. IPA by Dogfish Head).

SSGPat, Oct 02, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very hazy brown color with a beautiful creamy and frothy off-white head that retains well. Aroma is very matly with strong, tangy wheat tones, fruity weizen yeast aroma, as well as some notes of chocolate and alcohol. Flavor is intense and beautifully balanced, with notes of tangy wheat, toasted bread, lots of dark fruits in the vein of belgian dark ales (plum, fig, date and raisin), some spice character (corriander and clove), chocolate and some light alcohol notes. Mouthfeel is lighter than expected with a light to medium body and moderate carbonation...creamy and smooth. Extremely delicious and approachable, an excellent beer. Been waiting for this one to show up in NC, and it was worth the wait for sure.

silver0rlead, Sep 30, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks like a very dark amber, almost chocolate, with a nice white head.

smells like a spicy banana dessert. its hard for me to get more specific, but it definitely smells good.

tastes delicious. a full-body beer, strong and complex but balanced. like many other reviewers of this beer, it's my first weizenbock, but it will not be my last! this is an awesome beer.

davidchollar, Sep 29, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

What a beer, what a beer! It's hard to talk about appearance when you're drinking the beer from the bottle in the toilet of a busy library, but mmm. Sniffing the mouth of the bottle I am bombarded by pleasant weizen flavors and that's just foreplay. The real action happens when it put the bottle to my mouth and WOW. So good. This beer is everything a weizen should be and since it's a dunkelweizen, it is a little less oppressively sweet than your standard hefeweizen. If you haven't already drank this beer, GO OUT AND BUY IT, NOW.

shbobdb, Sep 27, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

An excellent pour from a 16.9 oz bottle leaves a thick foamy head atop a deep roasted brown body. Looks thick and inviting, very high marks for appearance here. Topping off the glass from the bottle only increases the overall head and thus, the overall experience.

Interesting aroma, full of malty presence and smelling very much like a dopplebock. It has that "roasted" flavor that I associate strongly with memories of the crock-pot growing up, beneath which it has a greater complexity of citrus and a hint of banana. I've never had a weizenbock before, but I imagine it's supposed to smell something like a hefeweizen mixed with a dopplebock. High marks.

Very interesting flavor. Kind of tangy up front with the citrus taste, with more of a coffee, almost stoutish backend. Fascinating in the way the two flavors mix together -- it almost seems like flavors this disparate would get in each other's way, but here I think it works pretty well. Slight astringent flavor due to the high alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and prominent as anticipated, but it goes down smoothly and easily. Not the highlight of the beer, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Overall drinkability is decent -- I like this beer just fine, and will buy it again, but it's not one of my favorites, and at nearly five dollars a bottle, these are a bit steep on the price for regular consumption.

danielharper, Sep 23, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

For all the hype, all the great reviews, and the fact that I can get this at my nearby Kroger in Richmond, I'm now even more ridiculously impressed at how good this is. 1 pt 9 oz bottle.

Appearance: Lacing isn't crazy, but the head stays put on top of the beer, dissipating slowly with each pour. Unfiltered wheat haze with amber and brown undertones.

Smell: A fantastic mesh of clove, banana, slight cream, and malt at the forefront. Some slight dark fruit and chocolate undetones. This is absolutely ridiculous it's so good, and I'm having trouble getting my nose out of it.

Taste: As I'm tasting this, I'm thinking to myself, "Is this for real?" Beautiful malt sweetness, banana, clove, and cream. The aftertaste lingers for long on the tongue, and it should be savored. I have to say, the complexity here is NOT the point; it's that what's here is balanced so smoothly, so beautifully, and so tastefully, that it certainly, to me, warrants an exceptional rating. So goddamn good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to full-bodied, medium carbonation that fits the creamy and fuller body of the beer. Wonderful.

Drinkability: I had no clue what I was in for. This may be the beer that I expected worlds from and finally got them in return. I can't wait to get more of this, and that it's so readily available to me makes it almost laughable.

I wish I hadn't had Aventinus as my first Weizenbock, but either way I'm certainly getting some more. Regardless off what kind of beer is your favorite, a bottle of this is cheap enough to try, and even it wasn't, you should at least try this.

asabreed, Sep 23, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

A fizzy and hazzy dark amber to brown color. Definately unfiltered. Kind of light head that fizzes for a while and then settles down to a remaining thin head that stays for the duration. Right away you can smell that sweet malty fruit aroma as well as some grainy wheat aroma on further inspection.

Nice medium creamy mouthfeel with a bit of alchohol warmth. Flavor is clove and prune with a hint of banana and vanilla surrounded by a malty grainy wheat body, a hint of salt on the tip of the tongue.Taste is classic dunkleweissen with a heavy dose of malty bock. Just like you would expect but amazing how smooth they are together. A fair amount of tartness if you let it linger in you mouth a bit. This is an awesome beer with tons of complexity, taste even changes a bit as it warms and as you get into more yeast toward the bottom it becomes more bready. This is my first Wheat Doppelbock but trust me, it won't be my last.

kgotcher, Sep 23, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours tall. A very dark brown with an off-white mountain head. Settles down to 1/4" and wonderful stickage.

Smell is very nice and typical. Banana and even some clove.

Excellent mouthfeel. Smooth, yet bubbly. Nice.

Banana and spice. I'm enjoying this beer with some fresh zucchini bread with homegrown zucchini. Pairs very nicely. Spicy.

A very, very good beer.

Fugazme, Sep 20, 2005
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

BB date: 01/06/06.
A: in a (dry) 300ml weissbier glass, it pours a hazy, dark-caramel colour, coming with an effervescent, off-white thick beer head, so creamy and frothy even when the lively carbonation settles down it stays there without any trouble--looking everlasting, incredibly decent and elegant...
S: upfront is deeply fruity aroma of hefe-weizen, mixed of ripe bananas+banana skin+green guava, plus a refreshingly spicy note of clove, and profoundly sour-sweet wheatish grainy aroma. If "blind-sniffing" this beer, one might be tricked to believe it's just another pale-coloured hefe-weizen with a stronger, assertive malt and sugary presence~~ Very balanced as well as very delicious.
T: upfront on the palate comes a profoundly fruity (mainly banana-skin and the classic mixed-tropical fruity taste of hefe-weizen) flavour, followed immediately by creamy, deeply brown-sugary (close to caramel) palate of dark malts, on top of an underlyingly rich yeasty+sugary+intriguingly-spicy flavour common to Belgian dark ale. With an assertive alcoholic mouthfeel sitting firmly underneath, the refreshingly wheatish flavour adds to the otherwise profoundly rich and sugary palate a pleasantly tart-fruity kick to reach a nice balance in terms of both texture and flavour. Quite warmish alcoholic touch at first proves a bit too powerful for my taste, but expectable and thankfully short-lived.
M&D: the mouthfeel is a bit sharp upfront, turning more and more creamy and rounded towards the end as the alcoholic texture turns softer in strength and thinner/cleaner on the palate/between the teeth. A remarkable beer it is, much much more flavoursome than its cousin Schneider Weisse Original. I'd go for single bottle each time, as it's very powerful and hard to digest if consumed too much. A beer with characters to savour rather than quaff.

wl0307, Sep 17, 2005

Appearance: stained oak brown, hazy, sudsy layer of light tan foam that compacts slowly

Aroma: steeped figs, malt, raisins, wet dog (just a hint!), wheat, light banana esters, clove

Flavor: initially a sweet breadiness (like a malt loaf) which dries out with a swath of peppery alcohol and clovey phenols, chestnuts, finishes semisweet with a wheaty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, prickly fine carbonation, long-lingering alcohol warmth in the throat

Other comments: Weissbier was my first love (as far as beer is concerned), so a "super-weiss" like this one brings back those good ol' days!

GreenCard, Sep 12, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Aventinus glass, deep dark brown in color, lots of carbonation and a huge tan head which takes awhile to disapate. Tons of lacing left from the middle out to the edge's. I could smell grassy, chocolate, spicy, and fruity scents. Taste's like a hefe-weizen, but with a more doppelbock flavor, very nice. Has a medium body with a slight taste of alcohol, but not that much considering it is a 8% ABV. Very drinkable, it's a keeper.

Wasatch, Sep 03, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a huge off white head. The aroma is ocloves, banana, caramel, chocolate. The taste is above reproach. Huge clove and banana flavors with some darker caramel tones lurcking in the background. The mouthfeel is medium think, and juicy. Overall, this is one outstanding brew. Now if I could only find it on tap.

KarlHungus, Aug 28, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Aventinus is the name of a Swedish based multi-lingual drug term data base at Gothenburg University (http://www.spraakbanken.gu.se/av/index.html). It's probably a coincidence but this fine beer gives a pleasant alco-kick. More likely, the name is taken from the Roman hillock Mons Aventinus. It was orginally a workers residential area but was quickly gentrified and filled with villas, baths, and temples (the most famous being the one devoted to Diana, the godess of nature).In the middle ages the hill was apppropriated by monastic establishments, and they are still there. Enough of that. It's a beer review. Aventinus the Beer rules the Weizenstarkbiers. The foam, the sweet smell, the distinct taste of wheat and hops. But the guy on the label looks like Martin Luther.

JanM, Aug 24, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a dark amber color with a fizzy, light tan head that left spotty lacing on the glass. Sweet caramel malt, spicy clove, and alcohol in the aroma. Initial tart wheat taste, followed by lots of caramel maltiness, and some banana and bubblegum as well.

egajdzis, Aug 24, 2005