Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Vintage 2001 bottle...
Appears a dark chestnut brown with traces of red and a 2 finger, foamy tan head that slowly fades out. Little remnants of lace are left around the glass. Small chunks of spent yeast sit at the bottom like artifacts of shrapnel from a battle at sea.
Smell is slightly oxidized but very acceptable for the age, along with mineral water, dusty, aged antiques, notes of port wine, rich brown sugar, raisins, prunes, and very phenolic with hints of cocoa & cloves. It holds it's own against any of the Belgian heavy hitters that you've been sitting on.
Taste is of raisins, cloves, caramel, brown sugar...no trace of any wet cardboard with this 5+ year old bottle. Nice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly sweet, phenolic, and herbal.
Seek this one out. It seems like the 2001 year is ripe and ready now. I recently had a vintage '99 bottle that hadn't held up nearly as nice as this one.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Funny - my review will be right after the guy from Calgary with the Toronto FC avatar, and I have my season tickets all ready for their inaugural season!

500ml bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a slightly cloudy brown with a fair amount of carbonation. Very nice wheaty aroma. Taste is rich, complex and lovely and full of wheat and malt and a bit of spice. Great lingering aftertaste. I'm not one that is able to pick out a bunch of distinct tastes within the beer, so I won't even try... All I know is that this beer is wonderful!

4.33/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a feast for the senses the moment your pour it. It filled my weizen glass to the top with a towering white head over a beautiful mahogany body. Lively carbonation zoomed from the bottom, adding compact white bubbles to the resilient head, which capped each sip with an attractive white ring.

Floral aromas mingled with banana, subtle roasted malt, and to a lesser extent, whiffs of chocolate and spice. The taste was sweet and malty and briefly interrupted by some alcoholic heat before a smooth end. This is a full-bodied — but not sticky — brew, and it finished crisp on the palate.

This is an easy-drinking beer despite the 8 per cent ABV, but is best enjoyed when it's sipped. Go slow and appreciate its greatness.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours with a moderate head with very good retention. Looks dark but when held up to the light it is a cloudy amber color. Fairly intense carbonation that invites you to drink more. The smell is a strong spicy fruitiness. Very malty taste with bits of pepper, cloves, and banana showing through. The aftertaste is bitter but not overwhelmingly so. I could have a few of these, but the high alcohol level might limit that. Very enjoyable beer that I plan on getting again.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

I don't know what writing a review after 729 others will add, but why not. Aventinus is worth trying for the appearance and aroma alone. 500 ml bottle serving. Poured a deep, dark, opaque brown, almost black. Rich think foam head that lasted and reformed with each re-pour. Aroma is nothing short of a bouquet. Sensed flowers, dried fruit, especially figs and date. Light undertones of wheat and chocolate.

It tastes as it looks; no false advertising here. It's the closest to a St. Bernardus I have tried. Similar to a Dogfish 90, but heavier and richer. This is not one to have when you're having more than one.

It's taste and depth give it a hefty mouthfeel. Really want to take it slow to appreciate.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Maybe it's because I've been craving malty, high gravity beers lately, but this one hit the spot like never before. So freaking delicious.

It's difficult to try and pour this beer and not get a huge head. The head sizzled for a good while, made of tight, compact, small bubbles, and it retained extremely well after thinning a bit. The color is a bronzed rusty dark brown.

Smell reminds me of a Belgian tripel or dark ale in some ways: raisins, plums, other dark fruits, while having a few spices and lots of banana and bubble gum aromas wafting around. Slight yeast tweak and even a little nostril heat from the alcohol. Dive in:

Maltiness is high, but the sweetness never overwhelms. A little bit like a chocolate brownie, definitely banana, warming from the alcohol, tootsie roll, and raisins. Mouthfeel is tricky: very fizzy, sizzles about in the mouth, but also attains a creaminess that helps give the beer another layer of depth.

This is so utterly delicious, but it's a little "hot" for an 8-percenter, and maybe just a little far over on the desserty side to make it an everyday indulgence. Or, screw it, indulge. You only live once. Chalk another one up for the Germans.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

About a three quarter inch head that was very frothy. I was suprised as to how murky the appearance was. Dark bread and hay aroma with some dough and moderate yeast. Dry tecture and a great level of carbonation. I've not had many of this style, but I certainly will be buying more of this.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Looks great, little bit of light shining through but other than that its a healthy, dark ruby/brown.

Smell is of dark fruits and rasins, spices and some roast malt with a little floral hops.

Taste is wonderfull deep and thoughfull, dark fruits cover the palate and leave room for a little hop profile but not long before the alcohol hit comes in.

Smooth down the troat with a nice alcohol warmth.

A wonderful complex brew with a moderate alcohol hit. Beautiful

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured dark, opaque copper with a three finger head. The fine, silky head retained quite well, including the grainy lacings.

Lots of fruity esters and spicy notes in the aroma, along with a bit of sweet malt and a touch of bubble gum. The spice profile includes pepper, clove, and coriander, while the esters include pear, plum and grapes.

The flavor is sweet malt up front that transitions into an earthy, wheat and yeast body. Banana, pear and apple esters, subtle bubble gum, spicy clove, pepper and anise make for a complex brew. The alcohol is nowhere to be found in the flavor.

The aggressive carbonation imparts a fizzy, almost creamy mouthfeel that is blissful on the palate.

The wonderful mouthfeel, balance, complexities and well-masked alcohol make this a very drinkable beer.

The initially massive head has a sweet malty smell that is fruity (banana) and lightly spicy with hints of chocolate and some alcoholic aromas. The pour is crystal clear and a caramel color with red hues. The taste is primarily that of toasted malt with some toffee notes. The Aventinus is medium bodied with medium low carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel. The finish remains malty but dries out nicely with a lingering hint of hop bitterness. Overall a very drinkable beer given the high ABV.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a powerful looking beer. Thick brown and hazy with a big billowing light-tan head. I love wheat beers, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something heavier....this is the best of both worlds. Smooth yeast aroma. Complex flavors...spice, cloves, banana. Not too fruity. And surprisingly creamy for a wheat beer, but still finishes crisp. Very full and chewy in the mouth...slightly malty. The only problem is a slight ethanol bite I get every few sips. Not an everyday beer, but amazing for special occasions.

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

A very cloudy brown/dark amber beer. Has a small beige head that evaporates quickly. A lot of clove character up front in the aroma. With some nutty malt notes in the background. The taste is malty sweet at first with some dried fruit notes in the middle. You get a hint of clove on the finish. Followed by the warming alcohol note on the end.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a deep red brown color with a slightly off-white head that is smaller in stature than I'd have thought it might be ... appears well carbonated, and some residual yeast in the pour toward the end. The nose is what I'd expect from a Weizenbock ... wheat, sweet malt, and a hint or two of mollasses. The pronounced yeast character almost smells Belgian to me. Palate is a nice agressive up front with good yeast and malted grain notes. Strong carbonation. Some slight spiciness, but mostly the sweet malts and a little banana bread suggestion. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but well balanced with the sweetness finishing pleasingly dry. Medium mouthfeel over all. I like this ... I can't say it quite lives up to the expectations I had for it, based on reputation, but this is a solid, Weizenbock all the way. If you're one for the style, it's a must try.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Revisited the Aventinus last night. My first experience with this beer was outstanding, my last, decidedly less so. Poured into a tulip with the color of a cola. Nice frothy head did not last long. Smelled of sweet clovey spice - a bit like a dunkel, but less banana bread. Taste was somewhat smokey, not overly spicey, not overly sweet. Some bitterness present. Light carob/caramel taste.

Moderate to light carbonation, which subsided as the beer warmed, leaving a nice full mouthfeel. Definately went down better at about the halfway point. Alcohol is not really too noticeable.

Don't know what went wrong last time, but this was very agreeable. I would not go so far to call it a favorite, but I'll certainly keep a couple on hand.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't normally comment on bottles, but this had beautiful gold and purple designs with excellent print quality.

Smells just like a dunkelweizen with some alcohol and banana esters; perhaps a whiff of hop aroma. Vibrant, active head and a murky, rich brown color beneath. Strong bublegum with a sweet malt and a hint of hop dryness in the finish. There is a slight tartness missing from doppelbocks (maybe from the wheat?) Smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Served from a 500 ml bottle into a Ayinger Celebrator pedestal glass. I don't think I've ever had this style, and I'm not familiar with German beers at all, so this will be something new for me. So with the fact that I'm a total novice in mind, off we go...

Pours a dark mahogany cola-brown, with a huge tan head. The aroma is strongly spicy, with malts and fruits as well. The taste is malty and full at first, with definite banana flavors, before brining on the clove notes... this in turn introduces the wheat and yeast characteristics. The flavor finishes on a citrus-y, wheaty, almost astringent note. The mouthfeel is fairly light, like hefewiezen, but it is well-carbonated. If you enjoy this style, I could definitely see enjoying a glass or two of this.

Overall, tough for me to judge. To be honest, I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but this one is obviously well beyond most other brews. If you're a fan of the style, you don't need me to tell you to try it.

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

Color is a dark garnet-tinged amber-brown. Huge light tan head that sticks around impressively well.

Potent, estery, spicy aromas with lots of fruit and a bit of smoke too.

Begins innocently enough, then overtakes the palate and especially the nasopharynx with a sledgehammer of cocoa-accented clove flavor. Hint of alcohol is also apparent. Significant carbonation combined with fairly full body make for a chewy mouthfeel. Finishes impeccably smooth, making this beer tremendously drinkable despite its undeniable power.

I love the intensity of character here without a terrible amount of sweetness. It really makes this beer satisfying and drinkable. The only minor disappointment is that it doesn't have much in the way of complexity, although that shouldn't be surprising given the simplicity of the ingredients.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

It pours a dark purplish brown with a simply enormous head. I poured this beer into a large glass stein and had to pause for quite some time for this monster head to go down. As it did so, small clumps of this frothy head were left behind. Oddly, the head consisted of large bubbles toward its base, and the top of the head was almost like whipped egg whites. Real nice smelling beer, sweet malts, caramel, and a grape like fruitiness that I was not expecting. It is the same in taste. Terrific. Very smooth, the well measured carbonation lends a creamy mouthfeel. A nice spice twang that seems to eminate from the alcoholic warm in the back. I might sense a slight hop hint as well. Nice and balanced. Very enjoyable.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked up a pint of this the other day from the Liquor Station because I needed a single and I thought I'd try something good. It was good, no doubt. One of the best I've had in a long time. But is it worth being one of the few 90+ brewskis on BA? Lower eighties would be insulting. Upper eighties, I'll give it that. But is this what an "A" is supposed to be?

While pouring it a thick head consumed my glass, leaving me with a glass that was 3/4 head and 1/4 beer. I thought, "Oh no, I'm gonna have to wait 5 minutes for this head to go down," but to my surprise it went away fairly quickly. The head was not what I was used to, and the awkwardness took away from the experience.

It had a creamy texture, sort of like Guinness, and tasted like a mix of fruit and chocolate. And seeing as it was up around 8% ABV I was surprised I couldn't taste a hint of alcohol.

A pleasing, but only slightly above average aftertaste also left this beer below perfection in my opinion.

Definately a high quality beer, no doubt, no question about it. If I gave it a rating though, I'd probably give it an 88. It was good, but as the first 90+ rated beer I've had, I have yet to be blown away.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a mildly cloudy deep copper hue with a four finger off white head. There was excellent retention and very good lacing.

The smell featured a spice clove aroma with a mildly sweet wheat malt. Nice caramel character. Good yeasty element as well.

The taste consisted of a good toasted wheat with a goodly amount of caramel sweetness. Good spicy clove as well.

The mouhfeel was full and very chewy. Very dry finish. Mild warming alcohol.

Overall an excellent beer. The natural progression up from the hefe. Remarkably drinkable.

3.94/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Guinness pint glass
A: Brown color with a large brownish-tan head that diminishes quickly.
S: Caramalized malts and cherry.
T: Very fruity. Sweet cherries and burnt wheat. Subtle alcohol hints at the end. Pleasant. Finishes clean with cherry and grapefruit flavors.
M: Disappointed with the mouthfeel. It feels thin, but maybe I was expecting it to live up to Celebrator(I know its a different style), one of my all time favorites.
D: Don't get me wrong, its really good. But I don't think it is $5 a pint at a liquor store good. I'd much rather go and spend $12 on a four pack of Celebrator if I'm in a mood for something along these lines. Definitely worth a try, because I could see someone who thinks this beer is great.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Deep, dark forboding mahogany and very cloudy with a wispy off white head that leaves minimal lacing after dissipating from a huge white plume of foam.
S - Ripe dark fruit, dark cherry, alcohol, plum, citrus... wait, is this a Belgian Dubbel or Quad?
T - Dark fruity malt meets Hefe wheat.... no other style of beer tastes like this and this is the perfect example of what a Weizenbock should be. Toffee, chocolate, dates, figs, slight acidic and astringent citrus notes as well.
M - Big, full, smooth and very light at the same time.
D - At 8.2% the alcohol is warming but extremely well-hidden and this just begs to be enjoyed over and over... dangerous.
This is my favorite Weizenbock hands down with only Victory Moonglow even coming remotely close to this in flavor and body. This is on my top 10 (maybe 5) all time best brews ever. Timeless.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Pours out a thick, brown head, tons of it. Beer is a little hazy.

S: Molasses, chocolate and banana, wheat bread, cloves, wow! Lots of aromas that all meld perfectly and make this one of those beers you just love to swirl around and smell.

T: Initially tasted the wheat bread mentioned in the smell. Then more vanilla, cloves and alcohol became apparent. Bananna and caramel round out the flavors after warming in your mouth. Medium body and creamy.

D: Could drink this one all the time. Very pleasant that is enjoyable thru and thru. Easy drinking for a complex beer. Almost anyone could drink this one, even the beer haters.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

I bought a .5L bottle and poured into a pint galss. Beer poured a cloudy brown as would be expected with bottle fermentation.

Got a large head (3 fingers) creamy. but did not last long. Did not leave a lace as others have noted.

Slightly fruity smell but not overwhelming. I expected a stronger smell. Taste is also fruity with hints of chocoate and carmel. Very nice mouthfeel. Pretty good amount of carbonation.

I liked the drinkability. The after taste is very nice and. Leaves a nice fruity taste which kinda hides the 8% alcohol congtent although I can see that drinking a lot of this beer could be dangerous if you want to drive a car or operate heavy machinery.