Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a thick brown with a white, fluffy, creamy head that left a slippery residue on my lips.

Smell was intense. Malty rich with cinnamon and other spices (similar to a Belgian Quad).

Taste was similar to smell but less intense than anticipated.

Body was somewhat thinner than expected.

A good beer overall but it fell short of my expectations.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours dark brown with a hint of the wheat color shining through at the edges. Pours a solid head. The smell reminds me of a golden field of wheat that got busy with some nice heady malt. It has a very complex taste, the dark malt dances on a beautiful moonlit night with spice of the wheat and the yeast. It is a marriage made by the beer angels.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours chocolately-brown and cloudy--looks just like a dark, unflitered wheat beer. Respectable head that settles down to a thick, bubbly layer over my beer. It smells rich and creamy, and the smell displays more of the German wheat beer characteristics than the taste actually does. Smells distinctly of bananas and cloves. The taste is mild and somewhat constricted, but really very good and it tastes like a classic, which I suppose it is. Definitely a good beer to watch out for and to try, at least once, on a warm summer night on the patio of your favorite beer bar.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a 16.9 to a tall pilsner glass. Listed as 8.2%abv.

A: Rich caramel-brown, semi-cloudy. Enormous multi-finger white head, minimal lacing.
S: Tons of spice, clove, a sweetness like raisins, baked bread (wheat)...lots going on. A truly wonderful smelling beer
T: As good as the smell - lots of spice including perhaps nutmeg or cinammon, malt & wheat predominantly, some fruitiness, a hint of alcohol but very nicely balanced.
M: Medium body with a smooth, lingering malty sweetness. The persistant carbonation makes drinking this somewhat like champagne.
D: Quite enjoyable. A terrific beer for all seasons and one that will go near the top of my personal favorites. Understandable why this is such a highly rated beer.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Cloudy brown pour with an incredible head that just wont quit. Just bubbles and bubbles.

Spicy clove and chocolate notes dominate the smell.

Smooth, creamy flavor up front explodes into an incredible biting spice on the back of the tongue. Fantastic.

Incredibly high carbonation defines the mouthfeel. A perfect strong summer beer.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a hazy chestnut with a foaming light tan head. Tons of carbonation keep the head in place.

S - Clove, banana, other light esters, alcohol, bubblegum, rum, wheat, yeast. Very enticing.

T - Burst of carbonation and refreshment initially. Fruit and brown sugar middle with a bubblegum and spicy rum-like alcohol finish, which remains into a long aftertaste. All the noted smells are in there at some point.

M - Medium to full body with moderate-high carbonation. Smooth.

D - Superb beer. Easy to see why it's so highly regarded. Even at 8% it is supremely drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Poured gently but ended up with more pillowy plumage than a fiercely shaken Duvel. 2/3 of the weizen glass was filled with rocky, beige head. As beer sits, a dark-copper body appears. Lots of carbonation rises through the clear brew. Head settles nicely and leaves minimal lacing.

S: Smells like a double-wheat. Sweet. Bready. Caramel hints. Slightly fruity. Whispers of bitter hops.

T: Smooth and sweet on the palate. Fruity and dark flavors. Chocolate becomes a big part as it warms. Hops are clean and slightly nutty? in the finish.

M: Creamy. Enough carbonation to be crisp, but not bubbly. Smooth and just light enough in the mouth. Doesn't finish clean enough.

D: Doesn't feel/taste anywhere near 8% (more like 5-6%). Easy to drink, but not particularly refreshing. One will do me fine before I move onto something else, but more of a style issue than the fault of this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Pours a very murky/cloudy bronze color with a white head that doesn’t last long with little to no lacing. The smell is what hit me right from the bat. A bouquet of fruit, raisins, cloves, wheat, a hint of bubblegum and a little bit of alcohol very impressive. The bubblegum flavor is present, not quite a hefe weissen taste, it’s labeled as a Wheat DoppleBock and that’s really what it tastes like a wheat beer crossed with a dopplebock. All in all an enjoyable beer, not something I’ll probably pick up all that often, but definitely something I’ll pick up as a switchup now and again.

4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Dark brown slight haze good two finger head that hangs around. Smells of wheaty booze with some toasty parts to it, the hops aren't realy prevelant to me. Slight clove flavors go with the wheat sweetness that is held back with the alcohol and natrual roasted bitterness. Good body a little thinner than I would have liked it to be at room temp, but it seems to have a better body in the 2nd bottle that was closer to 60F. Very drinkable and would pair well with just about any dish I can think of.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

(Bottle purchased at Green's in Atlanta). This pours a mixture of dark brown and amber, with a tan foamy head. Glass gives off a gentle, furity aroma. I enjoyed the spicy taste throughout the glass, and it left a long, good finish. Will definitely be drinking this again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Bock poured a beautiful ruby/amber color with a plentiful head .Smells of sweet malt , caramel ,unripe plum and slight alcohol and delicious fruit .I couldn't wait to take a sip .So I didn't
It seemed rather light bodied for a doppelbock , then it warmed a little and wow .
All I can say is round , balanced . this beer seemed to be created whole , complex but with everything seamlessly interlocked . You can taste the wheat , and it belongs there. Bitterness ,not harsh .Almost unnoticible , slightly tannic finish . Too tasty .Too drinkable . I can get in trouble with this one . So ..

3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a hazy chestnut brown with a 2 finger head, OK longevity and good lace. Soft caramel and dried fruit aroma. Smells "tart". Big caramel and brown sugar notes, mixed with dried dark fruits. Sticky and warming. Complex and flavorful. Not super drinkable on its own but would be great with food.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

I. Love. This. Beer.

A- Pours a nice warm copper. Pretty.

S-Like a good wheat beer should exept with a twinge more alcahol.

T-not what I was expecting from the style, tastes like a hefe with a stiffer backbone. Not as crisp, but in a good way. The flavor lingers on the palate and brew warms the chest as it slides down. Very floral and delicious.

M-a bit more carbonation than I needed, but after a while it becomes pretty creamy and nice.

DrA.- Wow, this thing is a gulper. I have to hold myself back from downing it. I like how its a high alch. content dunkel yet it goes down so easily.

Overall- Just awesome. As a huge hefe fan I am in heaven.

I am not a fan of Weizen neither of Bocks, so imagine when you mix the both of these worlds. But, I like it anyway.

Very dark golden beer with a foamy and present beige head.

Smell is alcoholic and wheats are present, with big notes of bananas and apples.

Taste is quite sweet, first the hops come in, with their fruity kick such as banana and apples followed by an earthy malty presence which ends with a cereal but shy flavors.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

I've had this beer several times before, and all of them were memorable occasions. Since you can't buy this in my home town, I bought a few when I was interstate and I saved this one until now, a cold winter's night, when you really want a weizenbock. But there's something wrong with this bottle - maybe because I've been storing it horizontally in the fridge for the past month or so, rather than vertically in a cool, dark place, the yeast kind of tastes funny. Best before 24.10.06 - I bought it about three months ago.

So here's my review - I'll edit it if a later bottle inspires me enough to do so.

Appearance: The head kind of died away quickly. Dark mahogany with not much red to it. Fairly effervescent, but not enough to keep the head going.

Smell: This is the part that tells me something's wrong with this bottle. Instead of christmas pudding, this tastes more like some amateur's home brew. Upsetting.

Taste: Despite the unusual smell, the taste is rounded, developed and satisfying. Sweet, chocolatey, rich like berries and stone fruit, and a brandy-like alcoholic nature to it. Tastes like a special occasion.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and fizzy, but this spreads the flavour around your mouth and makes the beer more exciting.

Drinkability: I remember one night I had the luxury of a few of these in a row. If I could afford it, I might drink these all night. Depends if you're in the mood for a nice weizenbock. Tonight I am, and if I had more, I'd definitely choose them over a thinner pilsener or pale ale.

Not the worst review, but I think with a good specimen bottle of this beer, it would get a better rating. Aventinus is renowned for good reason.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured cloudy brown with a thick, well-retained head.
Smell - robust and complex - pronounced wheat, yeast, and alcohol with underlying caramel and various spices (esp. clove).
Taste - Very full-flavored - wheat, yeast and alcohol all intermingled with enough spices to put a "kick" in it. Hints of citrus are noticeable - moreso in the aftertaste - which is lingering.
Despite the touch of bitterness, it is still fairly smooth and drinkable. Its complexities and spices make this a great sipping treat.

3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a very cloudy mahogany with the yeast pour. Soapy off-white head fills the glass then settles to three fingers. Good retention and a few sticky spots of lace. Belgian phenols like plastic and banana in the nose, and a plum ester as it warms. Sweet toasted wheat malt flavor with loads of Phenols and raisin-like ester. Weak noble hops in the aftertaste, semi-dry with a hint of cocoa. Medium carbonation and medium full body, lots of texture from wheat and yeast but also crisp. Tart and dry finish with no ester- phenols mellow out- but get in the way of the wheat flavor and seem out of place where you would normally find a residual sweet finish. Interesting, but not what I reach for when I want a wheat doppelbock.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brewed in 2001. I was very excited to give this a shot after hearing such good things....

It's dark in appearance, like apple cider, but even darker. Cloudy. Very cloudy. A decent tan head, retained well.

Initial smell was somewhat complex, raisins and bananas are right up front. The taste itself was similar, full bodied but not overpowering by any means. I really really enjoyed it, and would recommend to anyone who likes similar beers.

The only knock I'd have on this beer, if you could even call it that, is that I'm not sure if I'd want to drink more than one bottle in a sitting. One alone works just fine though.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy chestnut color featuring a rich, well-retained head. The fruity, slightly sour aroma includes some nice clovey hints. The rich, complex palate offers clove, banana, some distinct cinnamon (as well as an overall spiciness along those lines), a mild acidity and some definite dark fruit flavors. The finish is fruity with some graininess. The mouthfeel is slightly thicker than medium-bodied with an active carbonation tang.

What a classic, but unusual beer (though I guess the weizenbocks are certainly becoming more common). But like many such beers, you either love or you hate it; I, for one, love it. Complex and deceptively drinkable. Highly recommended.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

My first review, so take with a grain of salt. This is just what my young palate was able to pick up.

Poured a dark ruby color with a beautiful off-white inch thick head.

Nose was slightly chocolate, fruity banana-like esters.

I drank some without the yeast, and some with:
w/out: crisp carbonation up front leading to pleasant sweetness in the middle with tons of flavor and complexity I cannot even begin to describe (maybe one day). I did pick up on the spicy clove finish that the bottle describes, and finally an alcoholic warming of the tongue.
with: raisney fruitiness giving way to yeasty flavor. Flavors similar to w/out but even more complex and pleasing.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth--about what I expected.

I drank this slightly hungry just to make sure I could get it all down, but I ended up still getting quite full from this beer. I'm sure experience BAs could handle it with no problem, but I got quite full and surely felt that 8.2%. It's very deceptive. Make sure you take you time with this one. I imagine this would go well with grilled pork chops.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Best by 0508.

Pours a cloudy dark brown with a thick two finger head that slowly settles to a solid cap that never entirely fades, leaving behind a thin tattered lace.

Smell; lots of wheat and lemons, some hints of bananas. There's sweet caramel, bread and dark malts. The mix of wheat beer and dopplebock aromas go together better than I thought they would.

Taste; lemons, bananas and cloves are all present, along with a definite wheat profile. The sweet malts, caramel and dark fruits make their presence known on the back end. This is a great combination a wheat and dopplebock flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to full, and so drinkable I have to make myself slow down a bit with the big abv.

I will definitely be revisiting this one in the near future.

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear, cherry-brown, tea-like body. Incredibly massive, ivory, marshmallowy head with great retention.

Smell: Malted milk balls hit me first. Whoa. Then come bowlfuls of ripe bananas and bright, schnapps-like alcohol. Beneath that, fruit such as red grapes and cherries accompany sweet Hawaiian bread and mild chocolate aromas.

Taste: Everything from the nose, especially bananas, plus clove, apple cider, and a little musty yeast. A tidal wave of acerbic, up-front alcohol threatens to destroy the beer's complexities (along with my tastebuds), but it is still good.

Mouthfeel: The alcohol is just too fiery. Otherwise, it's fairly pleasant, light-bodied and slightly chewy.

Drinkability: Well, it's a fine beer but not one I want to have every night. The overly extroverted alcohol betrays the other flavors and makes this beer not as drinkable as it could be.

3.13/5  rDev -27.9%

Huge head, with a cloudy red amber look to it.
Malty, fruity in the nose.
You can definitely feel the carbination that leaves your tongue tingly.
The taste of chocalate,spices, coffee ,and what seems to be bananas, that for me left a unpleasant after taste. You can taste
the sweetness of the fruits, and sense the high alcohol content.
Still a good experience, but not sure how many more I'll have of this beer.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Great brew, but the cost could keep it from being in the fridge often. At the beginning, a clear mahogany brown pour, with a solid ivory topping. At the end, with I mixed the sediment, of course it turned ruddy brown, thick and chewy, yum.

Sweet malts and clove in the aroma and tasting, also noting some caramel undertones. A very sweet brew (making more than a couple bottles questionable), I would suggest this one for anybody - a fine solid brew. Very full bodied and carbonated.

Aventinus can stand alone with hard-core craft drinkers, or would make a good cross-over brew for beginners.

4.6/5  rDev +6%

EDIT: This is even better when fresh. Pick some up at the Weisses Brauhaus in Munich for a REAL treat.

(You know after 2 years of wondering why the brew sometimes kicks me in the teeth, I noticed that my local Old Chicago often mislabels the Aventinus Eisbock. This brew is wonderful, but that one just doesn't do it for me!)

Pours a cloudy brown color. You won't notice much difference between this an a dunkel weisen, although this might be slightly darker.

Smells are potent, but wonderful. Everything from chocolate, to banana, clove, dates, and sweet bread. Reminds me a little of ultra-potent banana bread.

Flavors change as this one warms. While this one starts out very bread-y, the chocolate flavor starts to come out more as time passes. The banana smell hold strong, but the flavor focuses more on cloves and sweet yeast. Alcohol's definitely there, but it's not too strong.

Mouthfeel is actually just right. It's just like drinking a dunkel weizen. No thicker or thinner.

Drinkability is solid. After being scared of this beer for so long...it's funny that I was drinking a different beer 1/2 the time. When drinking the Weizenbock, I have no issues in drinking a full bottle or even a second.

This is a definite world-class beer. My best advice is just to make sure you're drinking the Weizenbock and not the Weizen-Eisbock. The bottles look the same, so ask to look at the bottle before your server pours it!