Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.01/5  rDev -7.4%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. A thin layer of yeast sediment remained in the bottle.

A—deep, dark, rich brown; about a 1 inch thick foamy head that disappeared quickly, light lacing on the glass

S—spicy with a strong plum scent; a little banana and clove aroma as well. I do not like plums so I am not enjoying the smell as much

T—rich mild chocolate taste with nice combo of raison, caramel, and clove flavors; a little floral as well

M—strong carbonation; somewhat slimy to me, but finishes really nice

D—enjoyed trying it due to the positive BA reviews. I can clearly see why it is rated so high. I liked the taste very much but the smell was a little strong and foul for me.

This is my first wheat doppelbock so I do not have a comparison. The presentation, taste and mouthfeel are wonderful. I just don't care for the smell as much.

On-tap @ Firewaters in Hackensack, NJ.

Served in an Aventinus 0.5 L glass with a thin shaft and bulbous head. Sort of like a...ummm, hmmm, uhhh....nevermind. Just go here to see what I'm talking about: http://home.earthlink.net/~omniron/pictures_glasses/aventinus.jpg

Getting back on topic here, the appearance is brownish orange with an off-white head. The aroma is slightly spicy like cloves or cinnamon, but not as pungent as either of those. The taste brings out a bit more fruitiness, much like a wheat beer, and the spice is still evident. Medium bodied and easy on the palate for an 8% ABV beer. I didn't know the ABV until I wrote this review and I would have guessed that this was less than 8%. Drinkability was good, but I was ready to try something else after this beer. Actually, I was ready to put my head down on my pillow and go to sleep after this beer since it was preceded by a DFH World Wide Stout, haha. Aventinus was like a wheat beer with a kick to it, and although wheat beers are not my favorite, this was pretty tasty.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Purchased from Redmonds, Ranelagh, Dublin for €3.65. Tasted on Friday 13th Jan 2006, as it's "best by" date was looming.
A generous yeast sediment evident in the bottle.

Appearence: Poured a dark red brown cloudy brew with a generous white head.

Smelled of sweet fruits and malts.
Taste was complex, with malts (no hop flavour), some rust with a hint of tangy blackcurrant. Quite superb. Alcohol in the background.

Nice smooth mouthfeel. I'd imagine this would be excellent with food. Thank you Herr Schneider!
Footnote: I had a second, much fresher bottle and it did not pour as well as the older one.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance -- Dark and cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Nice white head with watery lacing. Very inviting.

Smell -- Like a hefe weizen with caramel, brown sugar and raisins. Or like some type of homemade fruit bread. It's complex and very enjoyable.

Taste -- My only benchmark here is a hefe weizen. It tastes like a hefe weizen with burnt or caramelized characteristics. Reminds me of bakery in a way.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, but on the heavier side.

Drinkability -- I find this beer to be quite enjoyable and am looking forward to trying more of this style. It is extremely drinkable, but at $3.19 per 500ml bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.

Had a dark brown color with a soft, white head. Mild carbonation with very tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Smell was strongly wheat, with clove, but also had some roasted/toasted aroma. Taste was very interesting - lots going on. For me, the clove-like, wheat flavor dominated initially and was followed by a slight roasted flavor with a strong fruity, sweet and sour finish. A very full-bodied beer that sticks to your tongue. Very flavorful, but hard to have more than one.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark cloudy brown body, with a decent frothy head, which does disappear after a while. while it's there it does leave a little lacing.

Nose is very sweet, with a tannic smell of red wine. Good malt, lots of dark fruits, dates, black grapes, sultanas. Noticeable aroma of alcohol, and touches of sweet caramel. A deeply layered smell, very delectable.

Taste is quite vinous and wine-like also, with an astringent dry finish. rich fruits prevail with hints of dark alcohol, like rum. Taste is layered and complex. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, but a little less velvety than I would have liked. If it was a little more filling and caressing it would be great.

This is a deceptively drinkable beer. The high ABV can creep up on you unawares, as it hides it beautifully. Beautifully balanced, wonderfully enjoyable.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

AVENTINUS! Where have you been all my life?

Pouring into the glass produces a fluffy tan head that fizzes like a cola. The head quickly disappears. Clumps of yeast sediment slowly settle to the bottom, while tiny bubbles continuously make their way to the surface of this murky,cloudy brown ale.

This is sort of a hefe meets dunkel, meets doppelbock. Fans of many different styles will thoroughly enjoy this master work by our German friends.

This a medium to heavy bodied beer. Easy drinking. Higher ABV might make this more of an after dinner ale for me.
I will buy this again and recommend to friends.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Boy , is this stuff good. It's the first Weizenbock I've tried.
We had this at the Old Heidleberg Restaurant in Bethel, CT.served in .5 L tall Weizen glasses. Beautiful dark amber color with a rich, tan head...didn't last long , but looked great when it arrived.
Smelled spicy with a prunish, malt character...sweet bread dough smell...very inviting.
Tasted fantastic...rich fruit, caramel, malt; the right amount of alcohol just about coming through, and a spice very much like cardamon .... and maybe clove..not overpowering...a great, complex brew. Nice amount of sweet... barely a bitter hint, and a very smooth medium/full body finish. Carbonation was low , which was fine for this.
With the 8% alcohol, heaviness of the beer and German food, one of these was enough...but will definitely be looking for this one again.

Update..had a bottle at home..here's some differences from the above review:
Head much better and it lasted for the whole drink.
Carbonation..medium..doesn't quit.
Clove smell and taste more pronounced...still going with the cardamon taste.
A great beer ! And , even though they are very different styles, this tastes very much like Leffe Brune..but dialed up a notch.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours with a noisy, crackling, active head of small and medium sized pale tan bubbles. The head quickly dissipates, leaving a brief collar. There are tons of carbonation streams charging to the top through a beautiful burnt amber, copper-highlighted liquid. Smells fruity and rich with cloves, bananas, and raisins. Distinctly wheat. The first taste is initially bracing with alcohol, but this immediately disappears and the rich malty sweetness with the cloves and bananas appear. There are lingering alcohol notes which are warming. Medium bodied with vibrant carbonation. Slightly slick, but relatively light on the tongue. Absolutely drinkable, perhaps dangerously so. This was fantastic and worth tracking down.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

In my review of Aventinus on tap, I said it was similar in the bottle. I think I was correct, however the big difference I noticed this time was the lack of carbonation in the bottle. This really detracted from the brew, in my opinion.

Pours a translucent brown with a decently thick head. Smells of caramel, figs, almonds, maybe some vanilla. Tastes very strong of dried fruit and caramel. The lack of carbonation really made it have a robitussin-like mouthfeel. Drinkability wasn't so high. Tastes great, but towards the end I was a bit overwhelmed.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

I've heard that dunkel weizen and bocks are German Christmas favorites, so I decided that I would get a bottle of Aventinus and celebrate Christmas while watching the new Bavarian Pope.

This beer poured with a lot of carbonation, which is good for a wheat beer, but then the monstrous head eventually drops to nothing (which I think is typical for most of the German weiss bier that I'vd had.) The Aventinus has a certain lightly spiced caramel apple fruitiness to it, (which surfaces in the aroma, too) that is rather tasty, and hides the alcohol content of this brew pretty well. I seem to remember the spiciness being more assertive, but perhaps my palate has changed, and not the beer. I found lots of yeast in the bottle and I tried to rouse it so it would fall into my glass to add more flavor. I did appreciate the soft mouthfeel of this beer and it's surprising drinkability, but for all the hype I think it could be a bit more complex. I will drink this beer again, despite my criticism.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer pours a foggy cherry brown with a thin film of light tan head.

Smells of home made root beer and a slight fruity apple sourness.

Tastes of tangy prunes, sour plumbs and a musky root beer with a nice, unobtrusive sweetness. The flavors are marvelously blended together. I have a bit of trouble picking apart what’s bitter from the hops and what is spicy from the yeast. Very well done.

The mouth feel changes with temperature. As it is cold, the carbonation is very light, but it peaks as it warms up to a full mouth of foamy bubbles and dies down again as it approaches room temperature. The fact that I figured this out is a testament to its drinkability.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Hazy dark rust-water with steady sreams of small bubbles racing to the top to add to the gigantic bubbly head with a creamy top. Very intriguing. Smell is alcohol, rotting banana, and rum-soaked raisin bread. It all has a shimmering, magical quality to it. Flavor is not roasty like one might expect from the color. There is a little coffee, but it is subtle compared to the candyish caramel, cracked poppyseed, and a little citrus in the finish. Alcohol bites a bit and warms the lips. Malty, with a bitterness smoothly taking over after a second. Medium body, high carbonation. A bit too sizzly for a while after pouring.

Great beer. Only the banana really differentiates this from a BSD to my palate. Morphing dark flavors reminds me of Maudite a bit, but this is heavier and sweeter. Great to have on occasion.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

I was suprised to see how dark the color of this beer is. The smell is also much different than I expected, much more carmel and fruity than I guessed. But the best thing about this beer is the taste. The fruits come through strong, but dissapear a little too quickly. It reminds me a lot of Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit in that they are infusing many tastes together. It almost creates a wine-like idea. Very Pleased.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent dark wheat beer from germany, mabye as good as it gets. definitely one of the best, i would say top five examples of darker wheat beers in the world. i really love it, and buy it at every opportunity. it has a clovey taste with a subtle maltiness. Overall the beer is amber, but is a true example of the darker wheat beers. it is one of my absolute favorites, so try to buy it as soon as you can. the head on it is perfect and the beer has a great overall body. excellent with sausages or just by itself. this is truly a remarkable beer.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew has a dark reddish brown plum-like color, with a nice head and lots of fizz. The smell is complex and fruity, maybe a hint of raspberry in there. There is a nice acidic, tarty sweet taste followed by a solid bitter finish, with some spiciness at the end. It's full bodied and the high carbonation lifts you right up. For 8% the alcohol is not overpowering. Definitely worth stocking up on this one...

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in my Aventinus glass so nicely provided by BeerPanther (mucho gracias). Poured a rich brow in color with so much haze I feel like my eyes are drowning in it. Thick head on top that receded down to a not insignificant coating. Fairly heavy carbonation. Nose is full of a cacaphony of subtle smells of wheat, banana and cloves.

Cannot find any sense of the alochol in the flavor. The taste just knocked me off the couch. The wheat provides a nice sweet base but is extremely pronounced by strong banana and cloves. The cloves pick up a bit to a slight hop presence that creates a wonderful balance. Got bits of chocolate, raisins and prunes coming through as well Mouthfeel is light but has a full body that just wraps itself around the inside of my cheeks. So easy to drink either on its own or with dessert.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%

appearance: The head is white and very slight, and quickly dissipates until nothing is left. The beer is a cloudy dark brown in color.

smell: Dark, moderately fruity malt up front. Also hints of light fruit, maybe pear, apple, and kalamata figs with brown sugar sauce. Yeast and wheat notes are also present. Some hints of spice add to the complexity, along with some banana bread. Slight ethanol is noticeable as the beer warms and the malty flavors become more complex.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is on the lower end of the high range, and the body a lighter medium.

taste: A mixture of dark and light fruits, slightly sweet, teases my tastebuds. The spice is less noticeable on the palate than it was on the nose, but is still there. I notice some dates and similar dark sugars. The description on the bottle mentions chocolate, but I'm not getting any. A light hop balance in the finish with just a touch of Ethanol presence after the swallow.

drinkability: Nice flavors and the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

A bunch of codes on the back label: 05.179, 1-1, 0357, 2822.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This is by far one of the best beers i've ever had. Poured to a medium cloudy brown with a fast forming thick head, not bad. Smell is of sweet grains, enough to make you want it.

Taste is amazing, a slight sweetness and a body that fills the mouth, Smoother than anything i've ever drank, goes down so so easily. Making this one of the most drinkable and delicious things I've ever had.

My only fear is that there won't be any of this left next time i go to buy beer.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours an espresso brown with a two finger head that lingers for minutes and leaves nice little patches of lacing. Sadly with time that find their way down the sides of the glass. Even though this beer is very dark, I can see carbonation bubbling to replace the head. It keeps a small head almost indefinitely (certainly longer than the life expectancy of the beer!)

S - Smells strongly of the sweet malt. Esters from bananas, dates and faint cherries entice me to drink. These three are accompanied by cloves and allspice to further the cause. The odor is amazing. It is a shame it isn't stronger.

T - Delicious. It is moderately sweet from a strong malt presence. Bananas, dates, tart cherries and figs make a presence, while some cloves, allspice, faint nutmeg and a bit of white pepper spice it up. There is a very strong toast presence - and it is well toasted at that. Abv is in the flavor. Even so, the alcohol taste works - it is simply a character trait. This weizenbock is almost everything that I hoped to find in a wheat beer. Banana bread beer. Mmmm.

M - Not quite as thick as I expected. It is thick and quite frothy, but I expected a more chewy texture from this beer. Although, I must say the texture is still excellent. The beer is very refreshing and smooth.

D - Well at the price, 8% abv and .5L bottles, this isn't the ideal session beer. Although any session with this beer would be a wonderful session indeed! It is sweet, but well rounded enough to be an excellent compliment to a meal. I will definitely drink this again. It is my favorite beer to date (I do have a Rochefort 10 in the fridge though). Weizenbocks are probably my favorite style. I wish more breweries would release them.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer pours a deep brown color with a medium hazy body that just lets light through in the narrow part of the glass. The head is a perfectly smooth big creamy light tan with a strong carbonation to keep it going.

S- The notes of banana and cloves are strong and pleasant in the aroma. Hints of vanilla and bubblegum are in the background. A very soft bready aroma smoothes over the other flavors and the finish has a very delicate hop bitterness.

T- The soft taste of wheat is complimented with some caramel and bready notes. The finishes with a bit of a carbonic taste but no real hop flavor. The soft taste of banana is very faint and a bit more pronounced as it warms. The slight tartness in the malt comes through as it warms also.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with some creamy texture to it. No alcohol warmth but a hint of fizz on the tongue.

D- This is a great wheat beer that has increased its complexity with all the dark malt. It would be nice to taste even more of the dark qualities to compete with the banana flavor and other flavors of lighter German wheat beers.

3.42/5  rDev -21%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

This beer was interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. It poured a nice orange color and had a vigorous foamy head. The aroma was very fruity with no hops present. The beer had a sweet maltiness with a pronounced apple flavor. The hops were very subdued and provided barely enough bitterness to balance out the malt. The body and mouthfeel was relatively light considering the alcohol content. The carbonation was very high - almost like that of a witbier. A decent beer, but not outstanding in my opinion.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

.5 liter bottle poured into an Aventinus weizen glass. 2001 vintage.

A - This beer has a great look. One of those unique looks in its glass that's all its own. An orangish brown on bottom that lets a litle light through leading up to a deep purple tinted brown at the thicker part of the glass. Lots of carbonation feeds a decent sized foamy head at the top.

S - Huge smell of tart cherries/berries on the initial whiff. Alcohol is definitely pushing through here. Got a nice spicy kick in the nose that hits the nostrils hard. A very nice smell.

T - Basically indescribable on the first sip. Simply different than most beers I've ever tried. I'm definitely tasting some of the flavor described on the 2001 vintage tag. A bit of chocolate under the spicy flavor. Some fruity alcoholic kick mixed in there. Balanced nicely with a nutty flavor.

M - A nice amount of carbonation with a fairly thick texture in the mouth.

D - Keeps me coming back for more. I definitely can sip on this one till the last drop.

Notes: Wouldn't drink this every day as wheat beers are not my favorite style but this is the best wheat beer or bocks I've ever had. Definitely one I will pick up from time to time to enjoy for a change of pace.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

The pour is orange, closing in on lavender. The head seems small for a weizen, although this does have more alcohol then the average hefe, leaving minimal lacing. It's got the phenols and esters as expected- a malty nose with bananas and cloves. The taste has plenty yeast, spice, fruit (in addition to bananas), and roasty wheat malts. The 8% abv is more detectable then you would think, but this is still mighty easy to drink.