Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I don't think it gets any more dangerous for the average beer drinker than this. A perfectly constructed weizen that is highly drinkable and an 8% abv. Awesome to look at in an Aventinus glass. While this is not my favorite style, my wife loves it now and I will be on the hunt for more.

beernbbq, Sep 13, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

I has this at David Copperfield's as it came highly recommended by Dorothy, who was behind the bar that night. She poured it quite expertly into a Weihenstephan weisse glass and made sure to get all the little yeasties out of the bottle, too.

Appearance: A murky brown in color with a good thick offwhite head. Pretty decent lacing.

Smell: I could have stuck around and sniffing this baby all night, but there was a train to catch the next day. I caught candi sugars and molasses with a bit of banana. There were also some floral hops in the background. It was a nicely complex aroma.

Taste: Very sweet maltiness. The alcohol is not shy about making it's presence felt, either, but it doesn't smack you around like a red-headed stepchild. This beer reminded of whiskey at some points.

Mouthfeel: Man, this beer has got some junk in the trunk. There's some fries with that shake. Very full-bodied and rich.

Drinkability: I would definitely have one of these again. Thankfully I can find it. However, due to the serving size and richness, this would probably be the only bottle I'd be consuming that night.

ManekiNeko, Sep 12, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +6%

served in large 1 pt. .9 oz. bottle with cool-ass purple label. (very psychadelic)

anyway, this one is a beast in a bottle.
huge fruity, wheaty aroma. huge grape-like sweetness in the flavor. the familiar coriander-and-banana flavors that come with hefeweizens.

badass, baby.

this is like the lightest, fruitiest beer and the heaviest, darkest, stoutest beer all at the same time. a real enigma.

i highly highly recommend trying this. it goes a step beyond the doppelbocks.

vitesse, Sep 09, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Half a liter bottle poured into a weizen glass. It pours a dark muddy brown, almost like chocolate milk, with 4 huge fingers of head. There is almost no lacing left on the glass, despite the huge head. The smell is super malty and yeasty, and very full of clove spice. It smells like a dunkelweizen on steriods. The taste is also packed with malt and cloves, and also contains some fruity esters. There is a bit of yeast to the finish. The mouthfeel is very thick and super smooth. The drinkability is also fairly good for being 8.0%. My first taste of this style, and I'm already wondering how anything could come close to this.

SheepNutz, Aug 31, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

Time to drink a good beer for a change. Pours a dark murky brown with swirling yeasts and enormous thick tan head that I could barely contain in the glass. Be sure to swirl the yeast at the bottom of the bottle--it's imperative. Smells of bread with Nutella; with hints of chocolate and vanilla and some spices, clove, sweet. Rich tastes of dough up front with sweet dark fruits in the middle smoothed by a banana flavor from the yeast and some cloves and a warming alcohol sensation on the finish. This beer is 8% abv?! Wouldn't know it until the end. This is an amazing, complex, drinkable and flavorful beer.

chaduvel, Aug 27, 2003
3.8/5  rDev -12.4%

Big beautiful head dissipated at a moderate pace. Dark red color with a lot of big bubbles of CO2. Aroma is very fine with a slight estery character that is very spicy and clovelike. Taste is a balance of sweet and dry malt flavors starting with a dark brown sugar flavor and a dry balance. There is a definite carbonic bite in this one that somewhat detracts from the flavor. Very smooth clean finish with a hint of alcohol and a lot of clove and spicey esters. Mouthfeel is light despite the high alcohol. Drinkable as long as it is paired with the right foods or the right moods. An excellent brew to enjoy on a cold winters evening with some good cigars.

RenoZymurgist, Aug 27, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Presented as pictured. Filled my tall, proud weissbier glass with a hazy, deep brown color topped with a big bubbly beige head that faded quickly into a squirming, writhing, almost living cap kept alive by steady streams of bubbles rising from the depths.

Smell is a wonderful melange of bananas, cloves, brown sugar, caramel, prunes and light alcohol. The alcohol really made itself known after swirling the glass a bit.

Taste: Wow, that's damn good! Starts off with a yeasty, bready flavor followed and some light banana and clove, not as strong as in a Bavarian-style hefeweizen. The taste is sweet and is intensified by the caramel/brown sugar flavor and dried fruits. The alcohol is well hidden. You don't really taste, you just feel it as a faint warming sensation.

Feel is light-to-medium bodied and bubbly. A little too carbonated, maybe. It really wakes up the tongue.

This beer is incredibly drinkable save for the ABV %. I could keep on drinking this but I'd be whacked in short order. That said, this is an excellently crafted beer wholly worthy of the praises sung on its behalf by BA's in countless Forum threads. Add another devotee to the list!

Boilermaker88, Aug 22, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

Alright Mr. Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock, I could care less about your reputation and your clammering, twitching following. We've had something of a history together, and an abrasive one at that. Long ago, before I ever had a real job, I had my first sip of you right from the bottle before I figured things out (hey dunderhead, pour it into a glass, just like that Unibroue you once tried to drink out of the bottle!). You swore me off wheat ale, especially German wheat ales for years and years. The last time I tried you, a mere 4 months ago, and after many other multinational samplings, I described you to the waitress and my friends as similar to chewing on a wet IKEA throw-rug--yes, I am clever, and got points for creativity on that one. Oh, but ever since then I've been training, working hard, saying my prayers, taking my vitamins, watching the tapes over and over again, figuring things out. Oh yeah, I think I'm ready for you once again. Come over here tough guy...

You all know what the bottle looks like, I poured it out of that. It's a rather intimidating, yet somehwat appealing hazy (murky) deep mahogany colour, massive beige head on the pour, spilling over, bursting at the seams. But that soon fades away, leaving me to deal with the matter at hand. The nose is quite nice, never noticed it much before now, rather inviting. Spicy and rummy, hints of preserved fruit, like the jarred cherries my Baba used to make. Quite intense. Flavour is very similar. It's something I've yet to find the words for. Wet IKEA throw-rug is not it though, I stand corrected. Like spiced buttered rum mixed with fruit, and then that elusive special ingredient (oh yeah, banana, that's it!). Yeah, this is pretty good stuff. Not the cat's ass like everyone else makes it out to be, but not as bad as I first took it to be either. Not a big fan of the style, couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I'm willing to give it the respect it deserves. I'd rather have a Unibroue instead. I think I will...

IronDjinn, Aug 21, 2003
4.78/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with lots of carbonation and a great head, but little lacing.

Smell – Huge dark yeast and malt aromas along with a variety of sweets. Raw sugar stands out to me, but there are also strong sticky caramel notes, bananas, and other ripe fruits. Well done.

Taste - This is a symphony of flavors. It is brewed in Munchen, Bayern, the home of great beer.

The dunkel weizen aspect is awesome, a hair sweeter than the standard. The carbonation is middling, the yeast deep, raw, and intricate to the flavor, and the dark, burnt taste is present but not porteresque. The huge sugars from the nose kick in as well, making this a mouthful.

The other half of the blend is the doppel bock. Here Aventinus shines as well. The burnt taste (different from the dunkles weizen flavors) is classic bock and, somehow, very distinctive from but not overpowering to the other aspects of the beer.

Together the myriad flavors add up to a smooth, most complex, slightly intoxicating (8.0 ABV) masterpiece. The Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is an amazing accomplishment within the brewing industry. I’ve never tasted anything like it.

Mouthfeel – A little off carbonation for a weitzen, but right on for a doppelbock. It’s not perfect, but really good.

Drinkability – In Germany a case of beer consists of 20 bottles like this in a plastic milk bottle type of carrier, and they are ribbed for stacking on top of one another. I’d like to have a walk-in cooler in my house and these things stacked to the ceiling. This went down exceptionally well.

Comments – I got down to the 39th review (high-low) before finding anything lower than a four (I’m number 40). This is the real deal and not just my partialness to weitzens and bocks. It’s incredible, and easily one of my favorite beers of all time.

Update: Reviewed 11/23/04 and raising the Mouthfeel from 4.0 to 4.5. This beer is utterly consistant from year to year.

RoyalT, Aug 21, 2003
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

I Have not had to many bock beers, but this beer is quite good.

poured a dark brown with a nice lacey head. has a full malt\fruty smell that comes through in th taste.with the higher abv i doubt i will be drinking too many in one sitting. but at has a nice body and a all around very nice beer.

ellman, Aug 20, 2003
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

Sampled from a 50cl bottle. A Wheat Doppelbock, hmmm what to expect from this? I have no idea what is in store. Let's find out.

It started by pouring a dark, hazy brown with a big beige head in the glass. Small bubbles and great lacing all around the glass.

Aromas of fruit, sweet malt, and biscuity dough waft from the glass. The scents become more prominant as it warms.

The taste is much like the smell. Something of a combination of a typical bavarian wheat beer and a doppelbock, much like the name would imply. Tastes of sweet malt, fruit, wheat, biscuit dough.

The mouthfeel was bubbly, carbonated, and light. The small bubbles tingle on the tongue and awaken the mouth. It finishes very clean and smooth. Hides the alcohol very well, barely detectible and helps balance the sweetness.

Another truly wonderful beer. Proving that once again this world is full of new tastes to be explored. Granted this one is quite old, but it was new to me!

Loki, Aug 12, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer poured a huge white tan head with a translucent dark reddish brown body.

The nose was a lovely smell of cloves, spices, some slight chocoloate touches, slight phenol, yeast. Basically it smelled like a fresh german dunkel weis with a slight kick of alcohol.

The taste was very nice. Medium to full bodied. Lots of spice. Very carbonated. Lots of clove, some slight fruit. Banannas, prunes, some mellow soft chocolate and caramel. Very wheaty. Touches of yeast as well. Very very slight touch of bitterness.
The alcohol is actually pretty scary. You really don't notice it's 8% at all.

Basically this beer is pure germany. I'm not sure if it's the high alcohol content or what, but this beer really tastes like a fresh wheat dunkel as if you're in Germany.

taez555, Aug 07, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Presentation: 17oz. brown bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date; $2.99 from the Wine House in West LA; classic, tyrrhean purple label.

Appearance: Pours a deep, cloudy ruddy-brown; thick, fluffy, two-fingered head; moderate-to-heavy lacing; stalwart head retention.

Aroma: Banana, ripe fruit, chocolate, honey and cloves.

Taste: Sweet, thick malts predominantly characterized by notes of clove, banana, chocolate and ripe fruit. Full, smooth mouthfeel.

Notes: Absolutely beautiful. Ripe fruit characteristics begin to rage as beer warms.

Mustard, Aug 03, 2003
4.1/5  rDev -5.5%

Most reviews I've read mention heavy banana. I must say that I smelled heavyclove in this beer. Other spices as well. Very little banana in mine. Maybe this is a difference between the bottle and draft.

A somewhat filling beer, I sampled this on an extremely hot day. Two half Liters were plenty. Smooth and refreshing, I was not dissatisfied.

An obvious favorite with beer drinkers, easy to see why.

John

BierManVA, Aug 02, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Another wonderful brew from Schneider... Rich colouring, Beautiful head! Cloves and pepper with a slight amount of bannana on the nose. Taste was one of raisons and a slight choc/toffee flavour, this kept developing as the beers temperature changed until fruity bannana became evident in the taste as well as aroma.

A very drinkable beer, I would be happy with glass after glass.

ALEBOY, Jul 26, 2003
3.55/5  rDev -18.2%

I originally sampled this brew many moons ago. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer has a very nice, complex aroma when poured. It's nice frothy head dies down quickly. It's dark amber in color w/ a flavor of cloves w/ hints of banana. It's a nice beer, but for my taste, it's nothing too exciting. At $3US a bottle, I won't get it again, not that it's bad tasting, it doesn't justify the cost for me.

jcalabre, Jul 26, 2003
2.7/5  rDev -37.8%

When poured into my glass, this beer poured a dark brown head with medium sized bubbles. The nose was that of clove and I could definitely taste the alcohol in this beer. I just couldn't acquire a taste for this beer. I thought it had a slight bitter aftertaste. To each his/her own.

hotstuff, Jul 22, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Presentation: 500ml bottle poured into 500ml pilsner glass.

Appearance: A deep reddish bronze with a large fluffy tan head that dissappates quickly. Pretty opaque... only faint traces of light.

Aroma: Ripe bananas and some spices (clove?). Also, I detect a faint licorice aroma.

Taste: Sweet and malty up front with a nice warming effect from the alcohol. The cloves are coming through again as well as the faint hint of licorice. Finishes sweet--a warm cinnamon bun with raisins. *Update: The beer has warmed a bit and I'm picking up some delicate fruit flavors, raspberry in particular. The hops are also coming through more now that the temperature has risen to about 55-60 degrees F.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy, chewy even. Warming from the alcohol, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability: Very good. I could have 2 or 3 pints of this in a session and enjoy each one all the more.

Overall: Highly anticipated, and now much respected, Aventinus is a legend well worth the hype. Dopplebocks are one of the most fascinating styles and this is an amazing interpretation of such. If you see it buy it, its that simple.

TripelJ, Jul 17, 2003
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a medium brown with a nice big creamy head,the aroma is slightly sweet ans clovey.Has a banana pudding quality to it with some chocolate wafer tones,like some of the others I think this a pretty complex beer.A little heavy in the stomach so its not a highly drinkable beer for me,but a great complex beer.

oberon, Jul 16, 2003
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer would be fantastic late fall with a home-made apple pie, perhaps covered with some melted chedder, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This stuff is loaded with spicy apple/raisin, cinnimon, clove, and even a dusting of cocoa powder. The fruitiness is faint, while the waves of flavor attack with cheerful willingness, over and over again. A warmth from the alcohol is present throughout the experience with some noticeable heat on the palate. In addition, a near perfect bitterness keeps the beer in check. This is cool stuff, but after one I'm done for a while-kinda like cheese fries. The low drinkability reflects my personal idea of drinkability, which perhaps reflects the season In which I have sampled a particular beer. Drinkability to me means when I have finished (a fairly regulation size serving) drinking the beer, I say man, I'd really, really like to experience that again, and very soon at that!

moulefrite, Jul 16, 2003
3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a light mahogany color and is topped with a beige, fizzy head that runs away quickly. Nose is full and sweet, fruity and malty. Flavor is very rich and sweet, primarily of strong malt plus some plum highlights. A slight alcohol aftertaste lingers on. Very tasty and enjoyable, but perhaps a bit too rich to have high drinkability.

far333, Jul 12, 2003

This brew poured a nice dark brown pour with a very lively medium head full of medium sized bubbles. It has a very mild cloven aroma. The body contained some yeast residue floating in it. It's taste leaves a lasting impression on your tongue as it goes down. It has a very nice taste with a hint of raisin and at the top of my list, but not the very top. After a few drinks, the alcohol content really comes through.

TheDM, Jul 01, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Initial aroma of apple cider eventually leads to aromas of wheat and a slight phenolic waft. Poured a reddish-brown in color with a nice head. Chocolate and dark fruit come out more as the beer warms. Caramel and dark fruit are the most dominant flavors. Spicy on the back of the tongue leaving a nice tang. Very nice. I wouldn't necessarily call it to style, but damn is it good.

jreitman, Jun 25, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Apperance: Nice Dark Brown colour with and off white heat that sticks for a little bit. A nice lace.

Smell: A nice full smell. Smells of spices and a caramel smell also.

Taste: This definitely tastes great! Strong spice at the end. It is has a bite, definitely has an alcohol taste. Caramel is in there.

Mouthfeel: Leaves coating on the toungue. It is very smooth and rich.

A good brew, thick, rich, flavourful

Ellbert, Jun 17, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Deep, dark brown pour with an enormous foamy head. Light hoppy nose with underlying hints of chocolate and plum. Lovely mouthfeel. Flavours of light, unsweetened chocolate, raisin, plum, a hint of banana and a spicey finish including some clove & nutmeg. Of course there is a noticeable alcohol kick on the finish. Very warm beer but yet not heavy. It stays light on the tongue and refreshes and yet is intense and complex in its flavours. A classic in my book.

Popsinc, Jun 03, 2003