Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,978 | Reviews: 2,048
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours medium dark, cloudy and thick dense head, looks wonderful! Aroma what you would expect of a wheat beer, fruity, bananas, cloves, a touch more malty than the lighter wheats, and sweeter. Head clings to the side of the glass (I am lucky to have the special Weiss beer glasses, one from Scneider, and Unertl and Weltenburger, so I can serve them at home properly!!) Wonderful rich fruity taste, richer and more malty than pale wheat beers, balance just right between crisp freshness and malty sweetness, not too sweet, just right. But still retains that fresh zestiness of a wheat beer. Not sure I would have realised it is 8%, as its very easy to drink. I love this beer, definately in my top ten of all time favourites. Heaven would be drinking this at the Schneider Brewery tap in Germany!!!! If only....

John W
B'ham UK

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Holy cow. Dark cloudy brown with a HUUUGE head, and I wasn't even trying. Giant bubbles quickly break down though, into a loose covering. Head retention is the weak point of this brew. Looks good though (except the head)

S - Yeast is first and foremost, with a strong menthol like coolness in the bottle. In the glass ripe dark fruits explode.

T - Mixed berries and mild bitterness. A touch of that cooling menthol/alcohol is noticeable. Who'd a thunk a beer could clear your sinuses. Sweetness that matches the fruit well, and a tartness follow. Some spiciness now - cloves maybe a touch of anise.

M - Medium bodied, maybe on the heavier side, but not at all chewy. Drying finish. Carbonation is a bit biting but short lived in the mouth - champagne like.

D - Another please. I pick up more tomorrow. Absolutely fabulous.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

2012 review (has it really been six years since my review of this)

Bottle from Hyvee in West Omaha, NE, USA
Poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass
11.340 stamped on label.

Pours a big, fluffy, hefeweizen-style off-white head that bubbles down to a centimeter-thick layer of tiny bubbles for the duration of the drinking session. As the foam descends, it leads to modest lacing on the sides of glass, giving one a clear view of beer’s deep mahogany color under normal lighting and light amber or garnet colors when held up to the bulb. Smoky and hazy in appearance due to the yeast, allowing just enough light through to see shadow imprints of my hand on the glass. Nearly perfect.

Aroma opens with musty yeastiness, bananas, and mild wheat malt. This is followed by a solid brown sugar scent, concluding with dark, dried fruit aromas, such as prunes, with added mild alcohol.

Taste opens with strong, dark wheat malt joined closely to flavors of vanilla, brown sugar, and prunes or figs. General pie spice spiciness is present, a bit of nutmeg joined to the heat of cloves. Closes with slightly tart wheat malt and caramelized sugar sweetness joined to modestly detectable ethanol. Aftertaste is of wheat malt twang with caramelized sugar and mild yeast.

Medium to medium-heavy body with modest carbonation that leads to a pillowy, comfortingly smooth mouthfeel. Mildly bitter, dry aftertaste that leaves one wanting more.

A: Pours a big, fluffy, hefeweizen-style off-white head that bubbles down to a centimeter-thick layer of tiny bubbles for the duration of the drinking session. As the foam descends, it leads no lacing on the sides of glass, giving one a clear view of beer's deep brown color under normal lighting and light amber or garnet colors when held up to the bulb. Smoky and hazy in appearance due to the yeast, but by no means impenetrably dark or thick.
S: Following the wheat style, the expected yeast smells lead into a strong burnt sugariness and ends with a deep sensation of sticking one's nose into a pile of prunes with an added mild alcohol aroma. All scent seems to diminish as the beer warms, with seemingly no new or fresh emphasis arising from the temperature change; strange. I would have liked to see a moderately constant or temperature-dimensional nose.
T: What first hits the tongue is a spicy clove aspect that starts out strong and weakens throughout the entire drinking experience. Alongside this there is a sweet, caramelized brown sugar taste that coalesces with the traditional banana flavor of other hefeweizens. Essences of slightly sour plum arise in the finish, with a slight hop presence for bittering effect.
M: Medium to heavy body with light, barely noticeable carbonation that leads to quite a smooth mouthfeel. Mildly bitter, dry aftertaste that leaves one wanting more.
D: Used a standard weizen glass for pouring this one, which worked out perfectly with its typical weiss head and rich color spectrum. I enjoyed the beer less as it warmed, however, for the deeper aspects of the taste and smell, the appealing parts of the beer to me, began to fade as this happened. That lessens my overall scoring in the smell and taste category, as well as this one. When I first started sampling the beer it was quite good, and remained above average throughout, but the decrease in its otherwise great attributes led me to conclude it as "above average" instead of purely excellent. I could, however, drink this relatively often on its positive aspects alone.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

750 ml bottle into Aventinus tulip glass.

This beer will always be special for me. I guess you could say it was the first beer that I fell in love with. Back in summer 2001, before my senior year in college, I was down in the DC/Baltimore area with a couple friends. We were at a bar near the harbour area in Baltimore that I can't remember the name of. But it had a great beer selection. Aventinus, which even then I loosely considered my favorite beer, was on the menu, and I had to have it. It was served in the classic Aventinus tulip glass -- the first time I had seen this glass. The bouquet the beer released in its proper glass solidified my love of beer forever.

Which brings me to tonight's tasting, in my own Aventinus tulip.

Pours a hazy, medium-deep brown, with a big, frothy head that sticks around for awhile.

The wonderful bouquet explodes from the glass and hits me from a foot away before I'm even done pouring, sending me into premature beergasm. Tons of fruit -- plums, figs, rum-raisin, caremelized bananas, Juicy Fruit gum, cloves, anise, alcohol esters. Incredible.

It tastes of banana bread, spiced rum, and dark ripe fruits -- dates, raisins, figs.

Silky smooth on the palate, thanks to fine carbonation. Finishes dry and warming. I could drink this all night.

I can't say enough about this beer. I have had many, many great beers since that day in Baltimore nearly five years ago, but I keep coming back to Aventinus, my first love.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours nut brown with a monstrous head that dissipates to nothing.

Smell is dark fruit such as plum and raisin and sweet carmelized malt. Light nuttiness. Slight alcohol notes.

Taste is similiar to the nose. This brew has a strong dark fruit presence with the plum flavor taking the lead. Sweet malt with hints of nut and caramel. A touch of hops in the finish with spices such as pepper and clove. The high ABV is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium and highly carbonated. I don't normally like carbonation, but in this brew it works fine.

This is an amazing, complex brew. I have not had another brew quite like this. If you haven't had it, you need to get it.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured much like a bottle of Cola, light brown and super fizzy. The head even when poured slowly fills all the way up to the top.

Smell is dominated by dark fruit and toffee flavors, with hints of plum, raisons, dates, chocolate, and bananas.

Taste is dominated by the sweet fruit flavors, very strong with the banana nut, and plum flavors. Very malty with almost no hint of hops at all.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and slightly oily.

Drinkability is very good on this tasty treat.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from the bottle into the Aventinus Weizen glass the beer was a mohogany brown color with three fingers of white fuffy head. The head was very blossoming and needed a carefull pour so as not to allow it to spill over the glass. The finished pour had the head crown the glass like an ice cream cone. Lots of carbonation bubbles streamed up the glass and continued to do so throughout the sample. Some lacing, but not as much as I expected. Still one of the best looking beers I've seen.

The smell was floral and fruitty. Raisin and banana aromas with malt, slight chocolate, caramel, freshly buttered toast.

The tast has so many flavors and so well balanced that it's hard to pick them out. A definite floral fruitty palate is the dominant taste. Chocolate covered raisons, bananas, some spicy clove, figs, and plums. Malty in the finish and very smooth to drink. Alcohol is well masked until the beers warms at which time you can tell this is of bock strength.

Mouthfeel is creamy in consistancy with a firm medium body, and well carbonated.

Supremely drinkable and enjoyable. So many flavors might lead to sensory overlaod, but the beer is well balanced with the fruit and spice and slight chocolate all complimenting each other. Nothing gets in the way of anything else. Smooth and easy to drink, although the alcoholic effects do kick in after consumption, so this is one to limit to one bottle and sip and savor.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A world classic, This beer is not in a style,, it defines a style. This particular bottle is probably 1 1/2 years old. I usually buy by the case and slowly consume over time keeping a bottle or two in the fridge always.

bottle is a 16.9 oz crown (standard) and of course served in a .5l Aventinus glass.

color: dark brown with light tan head covers the wide glass.
aroma: fruity, banana, clove, spice
taste: chocolate, caramel, spice, banana & clove are more subdued with age
mouthfeel: very smooth and easy drinking for the abv.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

Pours a dark tawny brown, hazy. Aroma is spicy and rich. One of the best smelling beers ever: orange peel, cinnamon, slightly peppary. Quite fizzy with tiny little bubbly head. Flavor leans toward malty with a slight citrus, slight sour edge. Perfect like that. Caramelish malts are evident is balance the sour. Something very very nice, but unexplainable in the finish. Uber satisfying to drink. Very little hop presence. I am a hop head but would not mess with this beer and add more. Top beer.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance- Deep, dark colors ranging from ruby to dark amber. Cloudy. Generous, clingy off-white head.

Smell- Tart, spicy aroma. Contains a mix of raisin-like fruit scents, clove spice, and alcohol. Slightly nutty.

Taste- Sublime & chewy. Sweet and tangy up front, with notes of dark fruits and carmelized malt. Clove flavors hit the taste buds later on, and the alcohol lends an estery, fruity taste to the finish. Overall hop bitterness is low. Alcohol is present, but well-concealed.

Verdict- Sweet, sweet nectar! This is loaded with flavor, but it's not raucous or overbearing. It's complex and mysterious; a wonderful, delicious beer.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Little to no head, but it doesn't take away from what this is. Dark brown beer, with a slight golden hue.

Light smell, malty with hints of bananas, but a deeper roasted aroma that is inviting and altogether delicious.

The taste. Jesus, what can I say about the taste? It's got the prominent malty characteristics of a doppelbock. It has the crisp, clean taste of a hefeweizen plus the over-the-top banana and wheat-taste of a dunkel. There's a huge yeast presence in the aftertaste. Vinous and grape flavors are abounding. Seriously? One of the best beers I've ever had. I could drink this for days on end, and never stop, but that would probably destroy my social life and my family and really, who wants to talk about that? Damn, a GREAT BEER!

4.01/5  rDev -7.4%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass. A thin layer of yeast sediment remained in the bottle.

A—deep, dark, rich brown; about a 1 inch thick foamy head that disappeared quickly, light lacing on the glass

S—spicy with a strong plum scent; a little banana and clove aroma as well. I do not like plums so I am not enjoying the smell as much

T—rich mild chocolate taste with nice combo of raison, caramel, and clove flavors; a little floral as well

M—strong carbonation; somewhat slimy to me, but finishes really nice

D—enjoyed trying it due to the positive BA reviews. I can clearly see why it is rated so high. I liked the taste very much but the smell was a little strong and foul for me.

This is my first wheat doppelbock so I do not have a comparison. The presentation, taste and mouthfeel are wonderful. I just don't care for the smell as much.

On-tap @ Firewaters in Hackensack, NJ.

Served in an Aventinus 0.5 L glass with a thin shaft and bulbous head. Sort of like a...ummm, hmmm, uhhh....nevermind. Just go here to see what I'm talking about: http://home.earthlink.net/~omniron/pictures_glasses/aventinus.jpg

Getting back on topic here, the appearance is brownish orange with an off-white head. The aroma is slightly spicy like cloves or cinnamon, but not as pungent as either of those. The taste brings out a bit more fruitiness, much like a wheat beer, and the spice is still evident. Medium bodied and easy on the palate for an 8% ABV beer. I didn't know the ABV until I wrote this review and I would have guessed that this was less than 8%. Drinkability was good, but I was ready to try something else after this beer. Actually, I was ready to put my head down on my pillow and go to sleep after this beer since it was preceded by a DFH World Wide Stout, haha. Aventinus was like a wheat beer with a kick to it, and although wheat beers are not my favorite, this was pretty tasty.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Purchased from Redmonds, Ranelagh, Dublin for €3.65. Tasted on Friday 13th Jan 2006, as it's "best by" date was looming.
A generous yeast sediment evident in the bottle.

Appearence: Poured a dark red brown cloudy brew with a generous white head.

Smelled of sweet fruits and malts.
Taste was complex, with malts (no hop flavour), some rust with a hint of tangy blackcurrant. Quite superb. Alcohol in the background.

Nice smooth mouthfeel. I'd imagine this would be excellent with food. Thank you Herr Schneider!
Footnote: I had a second, much fresher bottle and it did not pour as well as the older one.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance -- Dark and cloudy, unfiltered appearance. Nice white head with watery lacing. Very inviting.

Smell -- Like a hefe weizen with caramel, brown sugar and raisins. Or like some type of homemade fruit bread. It's complex and very enjoyable.

Taste -- My only benchmark here is a hefe weizen. It tastes like a hefe weizen with burnt or caramelized characteristics. Reminds me of bakery in a way.

Mouthfeel -- Medium, but on the heavier side.

Drinkability -- I find this beer to be quite enjoyable and am looking forward to trying more of this style. It is extremely drinkable, but at $3.19 per 500ml bottle I won't be drinking a lot of it.

Had a dark brown color with a soft, white head. Mild carbonation with very tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Smell was strongly wheat, with clove, but also had some roasted/toasted aroma. Taste was very interesting - lots going on. For me, the clove-like, wheat flavor dominated initially and was followed by a slight roasted flavor with a strong fruity, sweet and sour finish. A very full-bodied beer that sticks to your tongue. Very flavorful, but hard to have more than one.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark cloudy brown body, with a decent frothy head, which does disappear after a while. while it's there it does leave a little lacing.

Nose is very sweet, with a tannic smell of red wine. Good malt, lots of dark fruits, dates, black grapes, sultanas. Noticeable aroma of alcohol, and touches of sweet caramel. A deeply layered smell, very delectable.

Taste is quite vinous and wine-like also, with an astringent dry finish. rich fruits prevail with hints of dark alcohol, like rum. Taste is layered and complex. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, but a little less velvety than I would have liked. If it was a little more filling and caressing it would be great.

This is a deceptively drinkable beer. The high ABV can creep up on you unawares, as it hides it beautifully. Beautifully balanced, wonderfully enjoyable.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

AVENTINUS! Where have you been all my life?

Pouring into the glass produces a fluffy tan head that fizzes like a cola. The head quickly disappears. Clumps of yeast sediment slowly settle to the bottom, while tiny bubbles continuously make their way to the surface of this murky,cloudy brown ale.

This is sort of a hefe meets dunkel, meets doppelbock. Fans of many different styles will thoroughly enjoy this master work by our German friends.

This a medium to heavy bodied beer. Easy drinking. Higher ABV might make this more of an after dinner ale for me.
I will buy this again and recommend to friends.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Boy , is this stuff good. It's the first Weizenbock I've tried.
We had this at the Old Heidleberg Restaurant in Bethel, CT.served in .5 L tall Weizen glasses. Beautiful dark amber color with a rich, tan head...didn't last long , but looked great when it arrived.
Smelled spicy with a prunish, malt character...sweet bread dough smell...very inviting.
Tasted fantastic...rich fruit, caramel, malt; the right amount of alcohol just about coming through, and a spice very much like cardamon .... and maybe clove..not overpowering...a great, complex brew. Nice amount of sweet... barely a bitter hint, and a very smooth medium/full body finish. Carbonation was low , which was fine for this.
With the 8% alcohol, heaviness of the beer and German food, one of these was enough...but will definitely be looking for this one again.

Update..had a bottle at home..here's some differences from the above review:
Head much better and it lasted for the whole drink.
Carbonation..medium..doesn't quit.
Clove smell and taste more pronounced...still going with the cardamon taste.
A great beer ! And , even though they are very different styles, this tastes very much like Leffe Brune..but dialed up a notch.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours with a noisy, crackling, active head of small and medium sized pale tan bubbles. The head quickly dissipates, leaving a brief collar. There are tons of carbonation streams charging to the top through a beautiful burnt amber, copper-highlighted liquid. Smells fruity and rich with cloves, bananas, and raisins. Distinctly wheat. The first taste is initially bracing with alcohol, but this immediately disappears and the rich malty sweetness with the cloves and bananas appear. There are lingering alcohol notes which are warming. Medium bodied with vibrant carbonation. Slightly slick, but relatively light on the tongue. Absolutely drinkable, perhaps dangerously so. This was fantastic and worth tracking down.

3.97/5  rDev -8.3%

In my review of Aventinus on tap, I said it was similar in the bottle. I think I was correct, however the big difference I noticed this time was the lack of carbonation in the bottle. This really detracted from the brew, in my opinion.

Pours a translucent brown with a decently thick head. Smells of caramel, figs, almonds, maybe some vanilla. Tastes very strong of dried fruit and caramel. The lack of carbonation really made it have a robitussin-like mouthfeel. Drinkability wasn't so high. Tastes great, but towards the end I was a bit overwhelmed.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

I've heard that dunkel weizen and bocks are German Christmas favorites, so I decided that I would get a bottle of Aventinus and celebrate Christmas while watching the new Bavarian Pope.

This beer poured with a lot of carbonation, which is good for a wheat beer, but then the monstrous head eventually drops to nothing (which I think is typical for most of the German weiss bier that I'vd had.) The Aventinus has a certain lightly spiced caramel apple fruitiness to it, (which surfaces in the aroma, too) that is rather tasty, and hides the alcohol content of this brew pretty well. I seem to remember the spiciness being more assertive, but perhaps my palate has changed, and not the beer. I found lots of yeast in the bottle and I tried to rouse it so it would fall into my glass to add more flavor. I did appreciate the soft mouthfeel of this beer and it's surprising drinkability, but for all the hype I think it could be a bit more complex. I will drink this beer again, despite my criticism.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer pours a foggy cherry brown with a thin film of light tan head.

Smells of home made root beer and a slight fruity apple sourness.

Tastes of tangy prunes, sour plumbs and a musky root beer with a nice, unobtrusive sweetness. The flavors are marvelously blended together. I have a bit of trouble picking apart what’s bitter from the hops and what is spicy from the yeast. Very well done.

The mouth feel changes with temperature. As it is cold, the carbonation is very light, but it peaks as it warms up to a full mouth of foamy bubbles and dies down again as it approaches room temperature. The fact that I figured this out is a testament to its drinkability.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Hazy dark rust-water with steady sreams of small bubbles racing to the top to add to the gigantic bubbly head with a creamy top. Very intriguing. Smell is alcohol, rotting banana, and rum-soaked raisin bread. It all has a shimmering, magical quality to it. Flavor is not roasty like one might expect from the color. There is a little coffee, but it is subtle compared to the candyish caramel, cracked poppyseed, and a little citrus in the finish. Alcohol bites a bit and warms the lips. Malty, with a bitterness smoothly taking over after a second. Medium body, high carbonation. A bit too sizzly for a while after pouring.

Great beer. Only the banana really differentiates this from a BSD to my palate. Morphing dark flavors reminds me of Maudite a bit, but this is heavier and sweeter. Great to have on occasion.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

I was suprised to see how dark the color of this beer is. The smell is also much different than I expected, much more carmel and fruity than I guessed. But the best thing about this beer is the taste. The fruits come through strong, but dissapear a little too quickly. It reminds me a lot of Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit in that they are infusing many tastes together. It almost creates a wine-like idea. Very Pleased.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.