Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

I have been waiting to try this beer as there has been so much talk about it. It pours a ruby brown color with a three finger off white head that lasts and lasts. The smell is typical of most Weizens with bananas and yeast coming through. This beer has a more complex flavor than most in this style. Plums, raisins & bananas are the flavors that I find come through. Very smooth in the finish. I would love to try this on tap!

CharlesRiver, Dec 01, 2002

Pours a cloudy honey-brown color, crazy ass, foamy, clingy white head, nice lacing. Aroma of toffee and bananas, strong banana yeasty bubblegum flavor, some alcohol taste in the finish, a very good weizen bock.

maxpower, Nov 30, 2002
3.78/5  rDev -12.9%

Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. Dark amber color with an off-white head. Nifty fruit aroma of grapes and raisins (same thing I guess). Complex flavor of fruits and malt. I am new to the Weizen Bock genre but this was good!

Dogbrick, Nov 26, 2002
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a true artisan beer and a coup for Shneider Weise. If you like wheat beers or Dopple Bocks give this a try. I found using a belgian ale style glass better and more staisfying than the typical Pilsner glass. Fruity aroma, smooth and somewhat creamy head. Fantastic and satisfying flavor. Great before, during and after a meal. I recommend large thick pork chops with apple sauce or leg of Lamb and Jalepeno Jelly. Or if you like Corsendonk - try this as a finishing beer.

Little know fact: Schneirer Weisse also makes a distilled liquor from this brew called Aventinus Elderbrand (Noble Fire) waiting for a shipment from Germany to try this though - next week. Just got confirmation on it. I will add a review for that after we try it.

AtrumAnimus, Nov 25, 2002
4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Tasted single-blind with Bajuvator and Korbinian (qv.)
Medium to dark-brown like a Palo Cortado.
There is the typical mashed bananas and cloves of a Wheat with the addition of cocoa on the nose. Good intensity.
On the palate it displays very subdued acidity and bitterness. Not quite enough, in my opinion, to drive the flavors. These include mocha, mexican pastry and sweet spices on a clean, pillowy foundation. The finish is rather quick, again, because there is very little thrust provided by any bitterness or tartness.
A well-executed beer, but a tad boring for me. For those who desire softness, there may be nothing better.
__________________________

1999 Library Release:
Tasted 12-27--02. Aromas of clay, terracotta, wet rugs, cola, vanilla, fresh plum, very complex and subtle. Not having another, "fresh" Aventius to compare it to, I opened another "aged" beer, St. Georgen Kellerbier. The latter seemed to wear its age more gracefully, with plenty of lively flavor. I'm sure it's a difference of tank vs. bottle age as well.

putnam, Nov 21, 2002
4.08/5  rDev -6%

An Englishman, who loves Belgium beer, drinking his first bottled German beer, in America, hmmm… I think I picked a rather good one to start with as well.
Hoodwinked into the purchase by a very regal looking purple, gold and red label (the other German bottle labels nearby looked staid and boring). The label has a picture of some ancient looking chap that resembles a genetic cross between an archetypal Hamish Gent and the pictures of Christopher Columbus I remember from my school day history text books.
Enough drivel. It poured well into my Erdinger Weißbier glass (is this appropriate I wonder?), the tall glass did appear to suit the beer rather well, and showed off a lovely deep drown color, extremely clear. The head started well, a lovely off-white creamy smooth head but it retreated far too quickly to a thin collar for my liking, and was a tad disappointing. I found I preferred drinking the beer through the head, and constant replenishment of the contents of my glass from the remainder in the bottle helped to maintain a head to some degree. But rather annoying after a while though, perhaps the draft is better. Yeast is really prevalent in the nose, coupled with a fruity twang mixed with rum punch and a hint of malt sweetness. The beer has a very appetizing and soothing introduction, and immediately puts the imbiber at rest. No shocks here, just a well-balanced beer that is clearly “thought out”. A thick mouthfeel with a mild cough syrup introduction, brown sugar, caramel, molasses and malt sweetness in the middle. A strong hint of bananas is there as well, which lasts through to the end. I got some milk chocolate and wet straw at times? Weird. All this, 8% ABV and highly drinkable.
Detractions are that I find the sweet cloyness at the end, that lingers long after the beer has gone, just a little bit disconcerting though. Maybe I will come to appreciate it better as I drink other versions of this style. The lack of a head really annoyed me the most to be honest. That said, I have a feeling that Aventinus is the Led Zeppelin of beers, you come to understand and appreciate it the more you drink it. I need to see it play “live” (at the Bar in Deutschland preferably) to really appreciate this beer I feel.
Nonetheless, a damn fine beer. I just know I am going to enjoy my Suarez into the world of German beer.

TheLongBeachBum, Nov 13, 2002
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer has been at my favorite bar for a while, and I'm just trying it now, a cold, damp rainy October night, instead of the summer. What the hell was I waiting for?! Tuesday night special; wings. Beer to go with that; a Wheat Doppelback.
I never put the two together.
Pours a dark brown with the usual high off white head that lasts through the glass. Aromas of the usual Hefe- but with a more pronounced malt nose, not the usual banana/clove. An excelent beer with the meal I was having, thirst quenching. I will try it again without the meal.

HopheadEd, Oct 29, 2002
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer poured a murky brown color and formed a huge, I mean huge, foamy off white head that retained for quite awhile. Heavy amount of carbonation present. An aroma of clove, citrus and malt. The flavor was of clove and malt.

Wildman, Oct 26, 2002
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Long lasting, fine, creamy head. Deep cloudy mahogany color. Very strong currant/raisin, clove nose. Full bodied, tingly tongue sensations, mellows. Toasty malt, prune, currant, caramel flavors. A grassy/flower-like finish. Way nice!!!!

Alewife, Oct 21, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Wow, i like this one. Cloudy, well carbonated with a active off-white head. Toasted malt and a fruity (banana) aroma jumps at your nose. Smooth, spicy and clove just begin to describe the taste. The alcohol presence is comfortably warming. I'm dissapointed i only have one, wish i bought more.Well deserving of it's high ranking.

paceyourself, Oct 16, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Wow, here's an irrestible beer. Pours a fascinating, off-white head that positions itself nicely atop the cloudy brown liquid. The smell is very diverse with notes of clove, yeast, bananas, perhaps some chocolate and caramel, as well. Taste is similar, but is more on the malty side with some spiciness tied in. Tastes rather sweet, with that caramel and/or chocolate malt taking priority. Very tasty. It's all accompanied by a solid, smooth mouthfeel. For a doppelbock, this one easy drinking beer -- a must-try!

Jon, Oct 12, 2002
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Aventinus “Germany’s Original Wheat-Doppelbock, Ale” pours a red so dark that its a ringer for ebony. Head is a tan with firm small dense bubbles leaving lace all along the side of the glass as the liquid is consumed.

Nose of toasted wheat malt with burnt barley malt and alcohol. Palate is tart wheat, sweet burnt malt, and clove, with a pleasant but sticky sweet fig after taste.

Tasty with a pronounced sweet desert characteristic, Aventinus Wheat-Doppelbock is a major wheat Ale.

BeerBob, Sep 20, 2002
4.6/5  rDev +6%

Deep, dark chocolate color with cloudiness that you can see in the edges. Foamy, light tan head that is very active from the heavy carbonation caused by the yeast. Strong yeast character in the nose, a bit sour, almost like vinegar. Fruity and malty undertones are also noticeable. As it journeys to your palate, you find a very spicy dried fruit character with an underlying chocolate maltiness, and then a unique spicy finish, which the bottle describes as "clove-like". A smooth, yet exciting mouthfeel from the carbonation and spiciness. This reminds me of a Belgian tripel in many ways. This is excellent! I didn't know what to expect from it, but I got quite a pleasant surprise. A very complex brew that intrigues your palate and makes your taste buds dance for joy!

hyuga, Sep 16, 2002
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark, reddish brown, cloudy due to the yeast. Big, tight head with nice lace. The aroma seemed a little spicy, with a peppery bite and some alcohol to the nose. Well carbonated but slips down with ease, creamy and very full mouthfeel. Slight hint of alcohol (rum) with spicy and fruity flavors. In the end, the flavors are very well balanced and plentiful. Thankfully, it comes in the larger 500ml bottle, and I get the chance to have a generous second pour into the glass.

Lupe, Sep 11, 2002
4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a cloudy/murky brown with a densely packed head. Wonderful fruity-yeasty banana nose. Excellent clove and banana flavors wash over the palate, maltiness is balanced beautifully with the power of the alcohol notes of this awesome beer. Finishes malty-sweet, drying slightly at the end. A wonderful beer to enjoy slowly...almost a Belgian quality in it's taste profile.

beerluvr, Sep 07, 2002
4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Royal.

Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock has a white head & brown body. The nose was warm alcohol, liquorish, fruit, yeast, and clove. It tasted exactly the same with an added punch of maltiness for a well-rounded taste. This is one powerful beer and when it slides over your tongue, it tickles and stimulates at the same time. This is a wheat beer on steroids. With 8% alcohol by volume, Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is rather masculine. It is a notch “above” any other wheat beer variant I have had.

Drinkability is “only” 3.5 because… while I was very satisfied after I finished it, I did not need another one (right away). Maybe it was too damn delicious for me to handle.

bditty187, Sep 07, 2002
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

This is the mother-of-all Weizenbocks. The classic aroma hints strongly of Weihenstephan yeast. Full-bodied with a strong warming alcohol sensation. At 8% alcohol, this is definitely a strong beer, but the alcohol doesn't overpower the complex fruity malt flavors. Virtually no hop bitterness. Overall, an outstanding doppelbock.

Ueberales, Aug 22, 2002
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

Malty and deep with just the right amount of spiciness. Lighter than one would expect just by looking at it because of the relatively high (8%) alcohol. Great beer for relaxing with in the evening. Perhaps a little bit too carbonated.

yen157, Aug 22, 2002
4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

This is a truely amazing beer! When I first reviewed Aventinus 8 or 9 months ago, I didn't care for it very much... I can only imagine that I a) got a bad bottle or b) have different tastes in beer now. It pours a cloudy brown, with an impressive and persistent tan head. The aroma is a beautiful mix of banana, clove, and caramel. Flavor is quite complex, with clove, fig, caramel, and a touch of banana. Has a full body with medium carbonation, that makes for a very smooth and refreshing finish.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer, and something I can see myself coming back to again and again.

zerk, Aug 03, 2002
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Whenever I happen upon a beer that is as highly rated as this one, I feel I must give it a try, even if I think I won't like it. Well, this beer packs a punch on many levels. It poured with a dark chocolate color with tiny tan bubbles. Smell was that of a rich port, but with some citrus notes. The taste is truly overwhelming- massive amount of malt with a slight tang of cloves and figs or some other dried fruit was predominant. Filled up my mouth and my tastebuds. You cannot drink another beer after this one, and frankly, I'm not sure you can have two of these in the same sitting.

AaronRed, Jul 22, 2002
3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

I am not in love with this one as most other BAs are, but it is not bad. It poured a very cloudy amber with a thick off-white head. I thought the aroma was very malty. The citrusy taste of the wheat comes through at once, giving way to a smokey aftertaste. I do agree with most BAs that it is a thick, chewy beer. Refreshing, but not my style.

ryanocerus, Jul 22, 2002

An interesting beer - my first wheat doppelbock, so I don't have a standard by which to judge this. Very pleasant clove aroma and flavor from the yeast. Less malty than most doppelbocks, but more body than most weizen styles. Alcohol is a noteworthy flavoring component, lending some pepper to the finish, with some rum-like notes. I'm not sure I'm quite as taken with this beer as my fellow BA's, but a tasty beer, without question.

Brent, Jul 15, 2002
4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Dark reddish brown, like strong cloudy tea. Easy head had fairly large, soda-like bubbles form the head, but without the fizziness. As for taste, it's got the same strong esteriness of the Schneider weisse with the richer slight caramelly taste from the darker malts. Finishes with cloves. Tasty.

aracauna, Jul 10, 2002
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

The brew was a dark amber/ruby color with a nice yeasty haziness and a good creamy head that fades slowly. The smell was sweet with tons of fruitiness and some nice biscuity yeast. The flavor starts off with some nice sweet/tart vinous fruity flavors with some definite banana qualities and some raisins as well. There is some yeasty biscuity/bready flavors as well as a nice warming alcohol glow. The brew was very smooth and creamy and had the trademark full mouthfeel of the unfiltered wheat beers. For the strength of this brew it was amazingly drinkable. I could see myself putting away a lot of these and being very happy to do so.

Murph, Jul 07, 2002
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours with cloudy, dark tones that hint at the dark flavors that round out the taste. Ripe, fruity (banana?) aromas are inviting but are only part of the full flavor profile, which starts wonderfully crisp and finishes with a dark, full flavor. Exceptional mouthfeel. I can't imagine drinking tons of this, but I also can't imagine liking too many beers more than I like this one.

BitteBier, Jul 06, 2002