Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a brackish brown with a minimalist carbonation of a head. Keeps bubbling up from the bottom of the glass and making little eddies of foam around the edge of the glass.

Smells strongly of dark fruit and a little bit of alcohol.

The taste is pure fruity goodness up front. Lots of sweet sugars rush right in. A little bit grainy and chewy in the middle with a minimal hop ending. Really a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel is very slick and a little drying at the end.

Drink till you can't.

yankeeheel, Mar 09, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark brown with slight orange tinges.
The head is insane, however, it does not stay around for too long.
Smells of dark malts, caramel and alcohol, there are some winey hints to the nose as well.
The taste is amazing, sweet, a little malty and smooth, wow, this is just excellent. There are also many spices, it seems like nutmeg, maybe cinnamon.
This is just one great beer, it's not something I could drink every night, but on cold nights and well whenever really, this very much hits the spot
Overall, this is just a tasty beer, I will definitely return to this from time to time.

LuckySevens82, Mar 08, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

I picked up this beer the other day because I am trying to sample more beers of this style since they are becoming more attractive to me the more I have them.

The first time I ever had a wheat beer a few years ago I couldn't finish it, it was that bad.

Now I am liking these offerings. The appearance of this beer was quite nice, cloudy and dark, a rich copper colour. The head was perfect, building quickly and a light brown/gray colour that settled down with not too much lacing. The smell was very complex, many different things happening and really reminded me of Hoegaarden which I have really taken a liking to lately.

The taste was nice for a first try and I will follow up with a 12 pack or so to determine where this will go in my regular rotation. The comination of wheat beer and high alcohol content made it difficult to give too much of a complimentary review on my first tasting but I really think this will develop into one of my faves.

I cannot however imagine buying a 12 pack and drinking it down on a nice summer day like I would with one of my favorite pilsners.

A good first impression, I look forward to many more of these.

SaunaKing, Mar 07, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

The wheat doppelbock pours a amazing apple cider in appearance and color. All sorts of very fine yeast sediment visible. Impossibly tight carbonation sits as a thin ring around the edges of the beer, only to foam and billow up as I swirl the glass. Low to moderate lacing of the glass. Aromas are all over the place: fruits by the truckload, with ripe banannas and granny smith apples leading the way. A spicy, almost peppery zip as well. I didn't note the chocolate that others have smelled. Flavor is complex. Large dose of grain-like flavor initially, followed by a quick burst of sweetness, then ends with a strange mix of peppery bitterness. Almost an acidic-dry finish. Warming effect from the alcohol becomes more prominent at the very end. Decent body and carbonation. Drinkability is good as well. For as complex a beer at this is, it comes off very well-balanced and flavorful. A keeper!

OldFrothingSlosh, Feb 26, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

While pouring Aventinus into my new weizen glass, I was stunned to see the crown rise quickly to the top. In fact, no beer was visible at first, just foam. As I type, the head is very slowly being replaced by beer. Give this one the gentlest of pours if you want to avoid a mess.

Golden brown... like freshly squeezed apple cider. The beer is hazy, almost turbid, with a torrent of carbonation rising off the bottom of the glass. The huge head is light toffee in hue and looks like it isn't going anywhere fast. Strangely enough, almost no lace sticks.

The nose is malty sweet with scents of melted caramel, apple cider, clove and light brown sugar. The beginning of each mouthful is reminiscent of sweet, fermented apples. Things then become pretty intensely dry and puckery. With warming, the spicier elements of the flavor (clove especially) come to the fore. This is probably the most clove-intensive beer that I've had yet.

The furious fizziness of the mouthfeel lessens over time, but never completely fades. The body seems fine otherwise; it's neither full nor light. Good job on masking the 8.2% ABV.

Aventinus is a bit of a letdown. I'm not sure what I expected from a weizenbock, but this wasn't it. It's a little too sour, a little too dry and way too carbonated. I'll probably give it another go sometime, since this may not have been a properly cared for bottle.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 22, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +3%

This beauty poured out a dark fudge brown with a huge fluffhead that completely receded and left no laceage. I was a little disappointed by the aroma; it was more of a beer-breath or spilled beer aroma.

But the taste was incredible. Hints of clove, tropical fruit, chocolate, sweet molasses. The mouthfeel was decent but a bit on the weak side for such a big beer.

The alcohol was hidden so well this could be lethal for a session. After a 1/2L, I was already struggling. I will definetely get this again.

GreenWBush, Feb 22, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I am very excited to try this brew as the regular version is probably my overall favorite beer. The bottle comes wrapped in paper with some purple type printed on it. Brewed in 2000 mixed with events that occurred that year. I peel back the paper and find the bottle cap to be a little rusty, hmmm could be a bad sign but I press on.
The cap pops right off.
The brew pours similar to the yearly offering. Soft creamy off white head foams up very easily, nice tight latticework. Color in my chalice is a rich,clear, dark red color.
Aroma, is yeasty bread, cherries, maybe grapes and actually birch beer. This last scent throws me a little but its there.
First sip gives me a fine prickly carbonation and slightly thick body.
Flavor is rich and complex. I get a sweet malty hit up front followed quickly by bready yeast flavor and then tart sour cherries and the finish brings back the birch beer from the aroma.
This is a very good complex beer that I think has improved greatly with 3 years in a cave. I am going to buy more of these if I see them for sure!

sulldaddy, Feb 18, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

This is the LOUDEST beer I've ever had. A virtual Rice Krispies of a beer, snapping and crackling with much gusto in the glass. Pours from the bottle racy, soft, and energized. UPS brown with a faded white head and an absolute ass-kicking aroma. The smell reaches out and puts a headlock on your sensibilities. It is oddly cola-like with a vibrant spice rack of fragrances that are both sweet and peppery; perhaps a chocolate-ginger mix though the bottle suggests clove.

The taste grabs the fragrance and accelerates its magnitude. It's like drinking a jigsaw puzzle. Every sip is curious and mysteriously imprecise though in the end it all comes together. A sort of citrus-licorice presence is maintained. It is inexplicably fabulous.

I honestly had no foreknowledge or expectations about this strange wheat doppelbock. It just looked good and it was on sale. It has proven to be an indispensable beer drinking experience I could not otherwise imagine was possible.

RedDiamond, Feb 14, 2004
4.58/5  rDev +5.5%

Newly brewed Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock is one of my favorites - let's see what happens when it's aged a few years.

Pours a dark orange brown color, with a nice medium-sized bubbly off-white head. As in the original, there's much carbonation to this beer, and the head disappears quickly.

The scent is a bit more smooth than regular aventinus. More fruity, too. The smell isn't as strong anymore, but it's still there, and still lovely. Orange and bananas and a nice hint of clove. Mmmm.

The taste is similar to the regular aventinus, but much smoother, maltier, creamier, and more biscuity. The predominant clove taste in the original seems less strong now (though it's still there), and the expected (fantastic) banana taste remains.

The alcohol is less in-your-face, and thus the beer is now a bit less warming. This takes away a bit from the taste, but makes the aventinus even more easy to drink.

Overall, I still prefer the original, non-aged version, in all its wonderful wildness (especially at half the price), but this was still a fantastic beer.

jahred, Feb 13, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%

If beer is liquid bread, then Aventinus is liquid cake (or some form of dessert). I love the decadence of this beer. Ludwig's on Samson St. in Philly pours all of mine. Speaking of the pour, it takes a while. I sometimes order an easy Hefe-Weizen to drink while I wait for the Aventinus. The thick head eventually subsides to a creamy topping. The color is a wonderful dark brown. The mouthfeel is creamy and sometimes milky. I have to remind myself that this is somehow related to watery macrobrews. Somehow...

There's the flavor of wheat and malt at the beginning and a nice alcohol taste at the end. In between are even more flavors, including bananas and some chocolate and all kinds of sweetness (I'll leave others to decide exactly which fruits are present).

I don't have to mention that I feel like curling up in a beanbag chair or a fluffy cloud after drinking this. I even find myself floating on a dark river in the land of dreams. I'm sorry, I was talking about beer.

Some may say I am nuts, but I have noted the smell and taste of bubble gum at times. Bubble gum!!! Is this beer? The answer is no. It's ambrosia.

ChimayMayDay, Feb 10, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Half liter brown bottle, no dates.

Cloudy dark brown. Intense carbonation. A tall, proud off white head retains well, & leaves a little bit of lace behind.

Cloves are prevelant in the nose, along with other spicy notes, a bit of fruit, & a hint of alcohol in the background.

Spicy, fruity - notes of figs & raisins, along with a big clove flavour that if overpowering. Medium/full bodied, slick, with robust pinpoint carbonation.

xgrigorix, Feb 09, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

It pours a deep, rich garnet, looking rather lustrous. Rising streams of carbonation proliferate. A thick, spongy light tan head expands rapidly, then clings to the sides as it slowly recedes, hollowing out a foamy crater. Ropy lacing slides down the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings spicy fruit, with citrus and clove springing to mind. A yeasty tartness works subtly throughout. A distant milk chocolate note comes gently in to fade at the finish.

The yeast delivers it tanginess upfront, almost instantly giving way to a mild dry citrus tone wrapped in cloves. The chocolate slides in again, understatedly, this time accompanied by a slight dark cherry tartness. A grain current flows lightly toward the end, fading along with a very mellow bitterness at the finish.

Medium bodied, the texture virtually fills the mouth, coating readily. The high carbonation and spicy character leave a fresh sensation on the tongue for some time after it slips away.

It starts as simply lovely to look at, then carries through as wonderful to the last drop in the bottle. The full flavor and spicy character give it a big and true identity. As full a beer as it is, though, it ever sacrifices being refreshingly drinkable. Even the relatively high ABV remains well hidden, and doesn't seem to wreak any havoc. It promises big things, them keeps those promises, a trait that makes it something to keep close by, like in your refrigerator, in quantity, so you always know the next one's there and ready for you.

Foxman, Feb 08, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

Deep amber hue, huge rocky, bubbly white head, decent lacing throughout the course of this masterpiece. Fresh fruit, grapes, orange peel, plums, bananas, cloves all grace the nose. Up front, a definitive sweetness, spicy cloves with a gigantic malt back base. The definition of full bodied, toasty and bready flavorings are offered, somewhat acidic, subdued, but revealed alcohol presence. The massively complex flavorings of apple pie, fresh plums, cherries, bananas, hefe-spices, and cloves are all there. Remarkable, world class and superb.

GeoffRizzo, Feb 08, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a murky gloomy crushed up spoiled pear with pit included. Head is white, frothy, lasts long and laces well.

Subdued chocolate covered banana aroma with some clove spicyness.

This tastes pretty damn good! This is wonderful! It is simple yet complex and very flavorful. Banana and clove spicyness with some other light fruits and moderate spices. Get a tiny bit of chocolate but not much. Alcohol is very well hidden which makes this just about as drinkable as a regular 5% Hefster.

I really enjoyed this!

Crosling, Feb 01, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

50 cl bottle, served in Aventinus glass.
Appearance-wise, this is one of the most beautiful beers around, especially when served in the right glass: Deep, opaque reddish-brown; enormous, stable head that sticks around until the very end; massive carbonation visible all the way up the tall glass. It's almost - almost - a shame to drink a beer this fine-looking...
Taste is highly complex, easily combining the freshness of a wheat beer w/ the depth and fullness of taste of a doppelbock. Exemplary. Luxurious mouthfeel and very good drinkability w/ the 8% abv. being well hidden.
A unique and wonderful brew that's become one of my all-time favorites.

ToolHead, Jan 29, 2004
4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

Clear and somewhat chocolate-shaded brown, my first crack at an Aventinus poured with a nice, white head and a surprisingly wheaty aroma. That same wheat melds with dark, rich bock flavors and some fruit sweetness in a beautiful union with the twinge of alcohol around the edges. These flavors dance wonderfully across the palate.

This is very, very, even exceptionally good, and pretty unique--at least in my limited experience. It's also astoundingly drinkable for something so dark and alcoholic. Wow.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

RockyTopHeel, Jan 25, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Aventinus poors a deep cloudy brown with hints of amber. It develops a nice thin tan head that settles to a good lace. The carbonation ascending from the stem in the center of the glass was a nice touch. It had a strong malt smell with hints of yeast and fruit. I really was not prepared for the taste. It was winelike with a strong citric bite to it, with nice undertones of sweetness. At times I tasted grapes, cherries, and blackberries. It had a dry crisp feel with a citric finish. A one off beer when a different taste is desired.

I was expecting something nearer a stout. I was pleasantly surprised. I may have to experiment and try it with strong meats to see if that enhances the experience. I was having it with pasta and cheeses and the food seemed to stop the beers tastes.

claytri, Jan 25, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer.

Jdiddy, Jan 24, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

This is my favorite beer, hands down. I read many of the reviews on Aventinus that talk about how great this beer is on tap. I have unfortunately never had this beer on tap but it is hard to imagine it being more exquisite than it is out of the bottle. I first had this beer at the Silver Swan in New York City while eating wild boar and venison. It is a great beer to accompany a heavy meal. It is a great dark weisse and right after you open the bottle you can smell the distant smells of banana and cloves. Once you taste this beer you will be astounded by the flavor. It is 8% alcohol but goes down smooth and if you aren't careful, after a few you will definitely feel it. I recommend Aventinus to anyone and if anyone knows where I can find it on tap in the NY/NJ area, let me know!

wsouloa, Jan 22, 2004
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge bubbly head that mounds high above the rim of the class. Nice clear deep brown color until the last pour when the yeast pours and slowly falls to the bottom of the glass. The head eventually recedes to a sparse bubbly lace. Clove and other spices stand out in the aroma, with a hint of plum and chocolate and a touch of alcohol. Medium mouth feel with a high amount of carbonation that gives a fluffiness to the mouth feel. Sweet dark fruity malt up front followed by clove and some yeast notes. A touch of citric hop comes in towards the finish. The alcohol is also a bit noticeable towards the end and ever so slightly warming. The clove flavor lasts into the long aftertaste along with some of the alcohol. Very pleasurable brew to drink again and again, yet not one that I’d consider a session brew.

byrd, Jan 15, 2004
4.7/5  rDev +8.3%

My 500ml bottle pours a rich deep amber color into my tall glass and creates a nice tan head. Note: Wow, that is a lot of yeast in the bottom of my glass.

The boquet is thick, sweet and malty with a strong presense of fruit, wheat & spice. Its quite nice.

Flavor is spicy, sweet and has qualities of a belgian tripple. It has a fruity like banana flavor and some hints of nutmeg. The alcohol is definately there, but it is not overbearing.

Mouthfeel is thick, bubbly and very crisp.

Whew... down to the end of my glass and I am certainly feeling it. This one is a great way to unwind after a long day of work, but I don't think I could put many of these down in one sitting.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Definately my favorite Doppelbock to date.

kmcnair, Jan 13, 2004

In brief, liquid bubble gum without the sugar. A substitute for people who drink white sweet wines but do not care for beer taste. tasted like fruit flaroured bubble gum, alcohol well covered. Colour included. Also banana, cloves, nutmeg, some wheat.

Sammy, Jan 11, 2004
4.13/5  rDev -4.8%

Brown body with orange highlights, topped by a fist-sized beige head of microbubbles, topped by a dollop of whip cream rising above the glass. A punch in the nose of bananas, clove, and bubblegum. Taste starts off very sweet, first with some candy, followed by some dark fruits, and finally a dash of hops in the aftertaste to take the edge off the sweetness. Still a little sweeter than I would ideally prefer. I expected the mouthfeel, while hardly classifiable as thin, to be slighty fuller. This is a wonderful beer. However, I will say that my local Ramstein Winter Wheat is even better. Still, this is a style to be reckoned with, and this is one of the standard bearers.

RonfromJersey, Jan 10, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this last weekend on tap, after much searching and seeking. Mmmm. It looked wonderful. It smelled deep and yeasty, like stacks of hucked wheat, like the soil from which it once came. It lacked the sweety, esteric character of the 'look how high our ABV is' wheat bocks, and I suppose it should. This is, so I'm told, the benchmark for a weizenbock. The nose was great, everything I expected. The appearance too, what I anticipated. The taste. Well, the taste knocked me off my bar stool and I hit the ground with such a resounding thud, I flew upwards 15,000 miles into the stratosphere of YUM. This is a seriously delicious beer. It had the wheat/yeast tone I expected, and yet there also were subtle pickerings of hop, of sticky malt, of vibrant carbonation. Sweet, but only enough to make you want more. An aftertaste you'd like to call sour, but really just readies your palette for another complex and delicious sip. The beer really surprised me. The 8.0% amazes me. It's there only because you expect it to be. It's a travesty to think that the invisible ABV hurts its drinkability. If only the availability in PA was better, I would have crowned myself a new king in Beerworld. Thank goodness for NJ. Go try. I hope the reviews aren't suffering from poor handling, but I do realize this is primarily a bottled beer in the States. I'm sure it's good in bottles, but on tap, the flavors are so intense, they last forever in the finish, and they slide gracefully across your tounge like you just ate a silk shirt dipped in axel grease. It's that good. Wow. WOW. KClinger's has it right now on tap upstairs. It's worth whatever you have to do to try it. Cheers!

-Update: Great from bottles also, but I prefer the tap.

99bottles, Jan 07, 2004
4.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I like German beer. I like strong German beer. I love strong, limited edition, German beer.

This beer comes packaged in a paper cover with dated events from 1999. It has a little tag on it. There were only 240 cases of this. I have been able to get 2 bottles. This beer makes a case for cellaered beer.

Imagine Aventinus. Then imagine Aventinus with less sweetness more balance and one of the smoothest taste you will ever experience. I can't say enough about this. Ecstasy is the word. Rivals any beer I have ever had.

daledeee, Jan 01, 2004