Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,057 | Reviews: 2,068
3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

An excellent pour from a 16.9 oz bottle leaves a thick foamy head atop a deep roasted brown body. Looks thick and inviting, very high marks for appearance here. Topping off the glass from the bottle only increases the overall head and thus, the overall experience.

Interesting aroma, full of malty presence and smelling very much like a dopplebock. It has that "roasted" flavor that I associate strongly with memories of the crock-pot growing up, beneath which it has a greater complexity of citrus and a hint of banana. I've never had a weizenbock before, but I imagine it's supposed to smell something like a hefeweizen mixed with a dopplebock. High marks.

Very interesting flavor. Kind of tangy up front with the citrus taste, with more of a coffee, almost stoutish backend. Fascinating in the way the two flavors mix together -- it almost seems like flavors this disparate would get in each other's way, but here I think it works pretty well. Slight astringent flavor due to the high alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and prominent as anticipated, but it goes down smoothly and easily. Not the highlight of the beer, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Overall drinkability is decent -- I like this beer just fine, and will buy it again, but it's not one of my favorites, and at nearly five dollars a bottle, these are a bit steep on the price for regular consumption.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Reviewed on 4/6/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown with a medium-sized white head. Aroma of light fruits and some BBQ sauce, if you search for it. Taste of bubblegum, spices (clove), and some vegetable. A very good weizenbock, although I'm not sure I'm a fan of the style as a whole. 7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Alright Mr. Aventinus Wheat Doppelbock, I could care less about your reputation and your clammering, twitching following. We've had something of a history together, and an abrasive one at that. Long ago, before I ever had a real job, I had my first sip of you right from the bottle before I figured things out (hey dunderhead, pour it into a glass, just like that Unibroue you once tried to drink out of the bottle!). You swore me off wheat ale, especially German wheat ales for years and years. The last time I tried you, a mere 4 months ago, and after many other multinational samplings, I described you to the waitress and my friends as similar to chewing on a wet IKEA throw-rug--yes, I am clever, and got points for creativity on that one. Oh, but ever since then I've been training, working hard, saying my prayers, taking my vitamins, watching the tapes over and over again, figuring things out. Oh yeah, I think I'm ready for you once again. Come over here tough guy...

You all know what the bottle looks like, I poured it out of that. It's a rather intimidating, yet somehwat appealing hazy (murky) deep mahogany colour, massive beige head on the pour, spilling over, bursting at the seams. But that soon fades away, leaving me to deal with the matter at hand. The nose is quite nice, never noticed it much before now, rather inviting. Spicy and rummy, hints of preserved fruit, like the jarred cherries my Baba used to make. Quite intense. Flavour is very similar. It's something I've yet to find the words for. Wet IKEA throw-rug is not it though, I stand corrected. Like spiced buttered rum mixed with fruit, and then that elusive special ingredient (oh yeah, banana, that's it!). Yeah, this is pretty good stuff. Not the cat's ass like everyone else makes it out to be, but not as bad as I first took it to be either. Not a big fan of the style, couldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I'm willing to give it the respect it deserves. I'd rather have a Unibroue instead. I think I will...

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance - medium to dark hazy brown color that starts out with a nice off-white/light tan head, steady bubbly carbonation

Smell - light aromas overall, would have liked a stronger nose for all the nice sweet whiffs, light banana, wheat

Taste - bready wheat, yeasty film on palate, fruity sweet bang in middle of tasting

Mouthfeel - scrubbing bubble-like busy carbonation, almost a nuisance

Drinkability - easy drinking, could not feel the 8.2%???

Would try again, though not my style, smell hinted to memories of Germany...ahhh....Germany

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a deep red brown color with a slightly off-white head that is smaller in stature than I'd have thought it might be ... appears well carbonated, and some residual yeast in the pour toward the end. The nose is what I'd expect from a Weizenbock ... wheat, sweet malt, and a hint or two of mollasses. The pronounced yeast character almost smells Belgian to me. Palate is a nice agressive up front with good yeast and malted grain notes. Strong carbonation. Some slight spiciness, but mostly the sweet malts and a little banana bread suggestion. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but well balanced with the sweetness finishing pleasingly dry. Medium mouthfeel over all. I like this ... I can't say it quite lives up to the expectations I had for it, based on reputation, but this is a solid, Weizenbock all the way. If you're one for the style, it's a must try.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

500mL bottle. Pours a cloudy, earthy brown color with very little head. Aroma of clove, banana, yeast, earthiness and a bit sweet. Taste is much like the smell. Spices, banana, sweet grains, and breadiness. Has a bit of that banana bread flavor. Boozey taste is present but not too overwhelming. This one reaches a nice balance of flavor while not having too much spice flavor to it. Overall, its not a style I often have but this is certainly one of the better Weizenbocks out there. Worth grabbing for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Rich brown with a very tan head... tons of very tan head. The beer itself is a little hazy, with no lacing and weak head retention, but it's still pretty on the intial pour.

Smell: A mix of blackberry cheesecake, molasses, chocolate and banana... quite the nasal experience.

Taste: Dark chocolat runs the show with supporting characters of molasses, banana, fudge, breadiness. The aftershow is lead by a strawberry character that allows the brew to clear the palate nicely.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol is the major presence here, and really makes the brew enjoyable to the palate.

Drinkability: This beer stays interesting through the whole session which is helped by its full flavored nature. The one draw back is how rich it is.

3.87/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from16.9oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. Purchased in 2009 at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $4.25.

A: Honey-gold with scant, wispy off-white head with a minimum of lace around the glass.

S: Banana and honey mix with some lightly toasted malt, light herbal hops, and bready yeast.

T: Very sweet and delectable with a light fruitiness of banana and apple cider coupled with bready yeastiness. Very good, but very sweet.

M: Very silky mouthfeel with an initial punch of carbonation that dissipates with warming and a soft, banana bread aftertaste.

D: A good beer, but I guess I'm a little underwhlemed by this brew -- very sweet, not cloying, but lacking some in complexity. I will give a fresh bottle a run sometime and see if the time in the cellar hurt this guy.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this 500ml bottle in a trade with deepsouth. Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours like a glass of champagne. Very fizzy with lots of head, even when poured gently. This head disappears in no time. The color is beautiful. A nearly opaque deep brown like of a silky smooth Belgian Strong Dark. Several medium sized dark brown floaters. No lacing.

Smell is even reminiscent of fine champagne. Very carbonated, even in the nose. The wheat/weiss qualities are apparent, but pleasant. I usually am not fond of this style, but this one is very appealing. Yeast, raisins, figs, bananas, sweet malts and all earthy at the same time. A class of its own in smell.

Trying so hard to like this one, but the wheat/weiss qualities are too much for me. Granted this is what the style is, but those are the qualities I don't like in a beer. The complexities of the nose are lost in the taste.

Light bodied. Fizzy mouthfeel.

The best I've had of this style.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a beautiful deep ruby amber, with a light tan head, that lasted beautifully.
The smell is sweet, with a strong fruit aspect, especially banana. Also a bit yeasty on the nose.
The taste follows the nose, but with a bit more bitterness. The dominant flavours remain the banana and yeast, some cloves and the aforementioned bitterness. Reminds me in some ways of the New Belgium Abbey, but only in some nuances.
It's gentle on the palate, the carbonation is not overwhelming, and it goes down quite smooth. For an above average alcohol content beer, it is not particularly noticeable, which in this case is kind of nice. It's also a beer I could see myself drinking several of if that happened to be what I had, as there are no aspects that really limit it's repeatability.
I bought this on recommendation from one of my residents, who had overflowing praise. I came in a little bit skeptical, because that's just the way I take other people's recommendations. I enjoyed it, though.

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Served at cellar temperature into hefeweizen glass. Was a pain in the arse to pour.

L) Deep chestnut brown opaque, huge fluffy off-white head that dissipates quickly to a bubbly film.

S) Fresh banana and citrus-orange definitely there. Alcohol and red wine notes too. Definitely more there than the standard weizen.

T) Smooth creamy dunkel weissebier taste is soon overtaken by a bit of alcohol burn. There is dried fruit and Christmas cake in the aftertaste.

F) Smooth, not as fizzy as a standard weizen. Pleasant warmth from the alcohol a moment after the swallow.

O) Simply a stronger version of their standard Tap Unser Original, if you like that, you should like this. I spent nearly £5 on this - next time I would just buy 2 Tap 7s.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle, into a pint-glass. I know, I know.

Poured a dark copper/brown with flashes of red. Head is extremely lively and I have to pour this one slow. The head recedes after about 30 seconds leaving no lacing. Smells of that grassiness and malt character.

Extremely fizzy and lively mouthfeel. Taste is heavy-duty on bananas, with that strong wheat character and spiciness. I also detect some raisins, prunes and a very light finish with mild toasting. I can't even hint at the alchohol, very well hidden. I can detect a very similar character in Hoegaarden, another wheat beer, of course.

I'm not keen on this style yet, I'm having a hard time getting into the wheat feel in general. I will explore, learn and return later.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

500ml bottle pulled from the fridge poured into an imperial pint glass. 10 160 on the back label that indicates it was bottled in early june of 2010.

pours a cloudy brownish amber color with a big 3 fingers of off white head. head lasted a few minutes and then eventually to some spotty foam. bits of lace.

sharp sweet malts kind of reminiscent of a belgian dark or quad. flouride, clove, alcohol, bits of bannana and bubblegum.

big flavor. your hit with big sweet dark malts, dark dried fruits, flouride. seems just a little tart at times. the yeast cuts through the malts nicely. clove, bannanas. maybe some cherries. lots of alcohol.

thick heavy, almost syrupy at times. lively and sparkly on the palate after each sip.

i didnt enjoy this as much as i thought i would. very reminiscient of a belgian quad, same flouride like feel and power. i prolly wont buy this again, but thats not to say i wont drink it again.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer is one of the most complex I've ever tasted. It is a very dark beer, almost no light can be seen through it. The smell reminds me of various fruits, but I can't peg one. The taste was similar, it was a wave of flavor. The mouthfeel and drinkability were okay; the beer was a bit heavy for my tastes. I had to sip this beer slowly over the course of dinner to get it down.

I'm glad I tried it, I don't think I'll do it again though.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

2007 Vintage poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip.

Appearance: Deep, dark reddish-brown body. No head, probably due to my VERY gentle pour to keep the sediment out, so I won't take points off for that.

Smell: Dark fruits. Cherries & plums. Yeasty. Lots of spices. Alcohol is noticeable but nothing too extreme.

Taste: Just like the smell, fruity with lots of spice. Nice warming alcohol.
Drinkability: Very smooth but the alcohol doesn't hold back.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer is an old favorite of mine and one that's been around before bars had a huge selections available. More of a winter drinker but the wheat aspect really make it a three season beer. Typically served in a heffe glass, the full 20 ounces can really put you away. Be careful with this one but enjoy.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Eyes. incredible cream head. goood carbonation and yellow pale color
Nouse: Aroma was citrus, clove, frutal banana aroma.
Tonge: The flavor is good and very complex. Many fruity notes malt wheat yeast and citrus. it is very cream and smooth.
Very Niceee

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours chocolately-brown and cloudy--looks just like a dark, unflitered wheat beer. Respectable head that settles down to a thick, bubbly layer over my beer. It smells rich and creamy, and the smell displays more of the German wheat beer characteristics than the taste actually does. Smells distinctly of bananas and cloves. The taste is mild and somewhat constricted, but really very good and it tastes like a classic, which I suppose it is. Definitely a good beer to watch out for and to try, at least once, on a warm summer night on the patio of your favorite beer bar.

bottle into tulip

appearance: dark brown, caramel unfiltered, 1 finger white head

smell: dark fruits, bready malt, citrus, almost medicinal

taste: dark fruits, wheat, plums, figs, subtle citrus, blackberry, currants, and some slight roasted malt, you can taste the alcohol

mouthfeel: decent amount of carbonation

overall: To me this tastes like a trappist beer from Belgium, mixed with a Dunkelweizen. Decent brew but not really my cup of tea, it tries to be too many things at once. I would rather have a Franziskaner Dunkelweiss or Rochefort if you want something similar but a little more drinkable. May get more in the future to try again, but as of now I prefer their hefe.

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a murky brown with some purple hues. A huge amount of off-white head that dissipates rather quickly..

S.

Lots of aromas in this beer. Big time wheat, banana/clove, candied fruits (like dark fruits covered in brown sugar), and some slight booziness. Kind of reminds me of Banana's Foster.

T.

Like a typical weizen beer but with a little sweet dark fruits in it. This beer seems like a hybrid of a Belgian strong ale and german weizen. Just like nose, it is kinda boozy tasting.

M.

A little thin but not too light bodied. Loads of carbonation, which is expected. A slight dryness in this beer as well.

D.

A pretty good beer that's complex and relatively easy to find. I don't see myself rushing out to buy bottles of this as it's a tad pricey. I think I'd opt for other weizen/hybrid beers than this.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

pint bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a caramel brown color with a semi haze and four fingers of off white tight head. no lacings

aroma is of wheat malt and caramel malt, along side a bit of citrus and a touch of banana. a base of dark fruit rounds out the profile. nice overall character.

taste is mainly of wheat and caramel malts, with the same fruit notes, only with a less pronounced citrus and more pronounced dark fruits. again, a nice profile, but a little less on the wheat malt would make this one excellent.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture and a smooth finish. residual caramel and wheat malt make up the aftertaste.

drinkability is good. this is a nicely crafted wheizenbock, with good proportioning, it just lacks the malty character that comes with the bock tag. overall a solid brew. prost!

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%

Served from a 500ml pop off bottle

A- brown/foggy in color. Nice pour, small tan head which disappears after a few seconds.

S- Fruits, Bananas/orange peels, coriander, kind of spicy as well.

T- Very fruity, lots of banana, clove, citrus, bread>very nice

M- medium bodied, carbonation is persistent but not over the top, very well done.

D- Very enjoyable. Could definately have a few of these with a nice turkey dinner and not feel stuffed after.

Overall i recommend this. The flavor is very distinct>awsome

An interesting beer.

Cloudy, red-brown, with an immediate citrus and spice aroma. The head is massive and immediate, but short-lived with little lacing.

Taste is citrus and a little hoppy, with a burn of spice and an edge of malt sweetness as it warms in your mouth. To me, the spice tastes like cinnamon. Slightly gritty mouthfeel, and yet it is not uncreamy at all. (Is uncreamy a word? Necessity is the mother of invention!)

It is necessary to pour twice from this beer if you are using a standard beer glass, since it comes in a 500 ml bottle. The explosive head contains bits of sediment; you can taste the beer in the head quite a bit better in the last pour.

The kind of beer that makes you say, "Hmmm," after every sip. That's not a bad thing, but I don't think most of us would want to have more than one per night...

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Copped this purple-logo bottle from a Morris County store... really liked the company's Hefe-Weizen, so figured this would be a good sample... beautiful purple, dark-brown, mahogany appearance with immense frothy, foamy head that bubbles up... smell is replete with figs and prunes... taste is all malts with a rich, thick, creamy plum, fig taste that hits home and stays on the palate... ultra-rich flavor that is very filling and intense... extra malty with an alcohol presence certainly noticeable... reminds me somewhat of a doppelbock... a strong, full-flavored, robust beer that is satisfying... good stuff... Recommended...

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Served from a 500 ml bottle into a Ayinger Celebrator pedestal glass. I don't think I've ever had this style, and I'm not familiar with German beers at all, so this will be something new for me. So with the fact that I'm a total novice in mind, off we go...

Pours a dark mahogany cola-brown, with a huge tan head. The aroma is strongly spicy, with malts and fruits as well. The taste is malty and full at first, with definite banana flavors, before brining on the clove notes... this in turn introduces the wheat and yeast characteristics. The flavor finishes on a citrus-y, wheaty, almost astringent note. The mouthfeel is fairly light, like hefewiezen, but it is well-carbonated. If you enjoy this style, I could definitely see enjoying a glass or two of this.

Overall, tough for me to judge. To be honest, I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but this one is obviously well beyond most other brews. If you're a fan of the style, you don't need me to tell you to try it.