2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Reviews: 1963

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,342 | Reviews: 1,963 | Show All Ratings:
acevenom

Louisiana

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours cloudy dark chocolate brown with a tan head with lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates slowly, leaving very little lacing on the side of the glass. It appears to be well carbonated. There are smells of sweet malt, esters such as banana and bubblegum, and alcohol. There are other dark fruits such as raisin and prunes in the aroma as well. The flavor reflects the taste. There are sweet malts, fruit, and bubblegum flavors. There is some alcohol in the taste, but it's not very strong for a beer above 8% ABV. There yeast is also in the taste. There's a mild aftertaste. The body is light with abundant carbonation. The carbonation helps chase away the aftertaste, making this very easy to drink. Overall, this is a fantastic beer with high drinkability.

05-06-2012 15:26:45 | More by acevenom
BoulderBarrovecchio

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Very inviting thick dark caramel color with a one inch head that stays for a while. A lot of visible carbonation displayed by the bubbles racing to the top to replenish the head.

S: Really ripe bananas is by far the dominant scent.

T: Again, really pronounced banana flavor mixed with wet walnuts, a flash of a dark fruit in the middle, followed by a nutty, bread, banana after taste.

M: Medium body with high carbonation that provides a consistent bite, and finishes with a syrupy exit.

O: Wow. Perfect appearance, excellent mouthfeel, and I really enjoyed the ripe banana and syrupy wet walnut tandem. If not my new favorite, it is among the top tier.

02-09-2014 03:41:03 | More by BoulderBarrovecchio
schleprock

4.81/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a dark chocolate color with a thick foamy head. This beer is an excellent drinking beer for it's alcohol content. It has a very nice balanced malt flavor with a hint of caramel and dark fruits.

This beer goes down easy and is clearly the best dark wheat beer I've had. It has little carbonation notes on the tounge with a full caramel and dark fruit taste that is nicely balanced and not overly sweet like most doppelbocks.

09-13-2013 00:18:36 | More by schleprock
WilliamPhilaPa

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Nice light brown / dark copper color, bit foggy / hazy. Very nice creamy head. The aroma is a fruity / banana and yeast. The taste is fruity, sweet taste; hints of bananas and cloves, touch of caramel, and some raison notes in there as well. I thought it was balanced to near perfection. Overall a excellent brew! Enjoyed this at Ludwigs Garten (in Philly) with the Bierman9 & Artied2.

07-04-2002 08:58:10 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Murph

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

The brew was a dark amber/ruby color with a nice yeasty haziness and a good creamy head that fades slowly. The smell was sweet with tons of fruitiness and some nice biscuity yeast. The flavor starts off with some nice sweet/tart vinous fruity flavors with some definite banana qualities and some raisins as well. There is some yeasty biscuity/bready flavors as well as a nice warming alcohol glow. The brew was very smooth and creamy and had the trademark full mouthfeel of the unfiltered wheat beers. For the strength of this brew it was amazingly drinkable. I could see myself putting away a lot of these and being very happy to do so.

07-07-2002 23:03:13 | More by Murph
Amdahl

Iowa

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

12-12-2002 19:21:12 | More by Amdahl
feloniousmonk

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Big off-white head, dark violet color. Chocolate aromas detected from arm's length, just after I poured it into it's own unique Aventinus glass, footed at the bottom, ballooning at the top. With a closer sniff, all kinds of things come spilling out of this aromatic cornucopia! Cloves, cocoa, anise, spices, dark fruits. Great malt, some sparkling hops, long, luxurious finish. A glorious balance between dark and light. More flavors leap to the imagination as I savor each sip...peppers, raisins, I search for other fruits, but I'll stick with grapes. Halfway through this 16.9 oz,. bottle the head has disappeared, but the flavor's still bursting through! Heavy, alcoholic, but remarkably drinkable, with spice and raisiny flavors standing triumphant. A unique creation, and one of the best sips I've ever put to my lips!

12-29-2002 00:50:52 | More by feloniousmonk
nomad

Kansas

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured an opaque with a very dark ruby color. It looks darker when you put it down, though. Beer had tons of little carbonation that built a giant symmetrical building of a head; it became more frothy and billowy as it settled. Lace was decent but a little hasty.

Nose, hmmm, nice... It was dominantly banana, cloves, and an apple-fig scent (smell was more apple than fig, though). You can immediately pick up on the beautiful yeast used alongside the faint yet nicely roasted wheat background. A wonderful nose, reminded me of fall harvest - though I had no problem drinking it in early spring.

Flavors were of a tasty roasted malt; a medium level roast that also seemed a bit spicy. Tasted also of raw cinnamon (the true taste, not the sugar-sweetened kind). This combined greatly with the most dominant flavor which was the cooked apples. The more yeast more poured in the more clovey it became, and combined with the apples, it became like a late fall bounty done well in the kitchen.

Had a moderate to short finish, with a subdued cream in the finish. Very quiet hops and sour were in the aftertaste and lingered with welcome on the appropriate buds. This beer is so unobtrusive yet still so hearty in both taste and aftertaste. There was some tingle on the tongue that helped to call me back, and the mouthfeel was sort of watery-oily. And from these notes, and everything else with it, this beer is so very drinkable. Compared to the other classic dopplebock, Celebrator, more fruity and spicy, and classic in its own right.

03-28-2003 11:18:29 | More by nomad
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I am very excited to try this brew as the regular version is probably my overall favorite beer. The bottle comes wrapped in paper with some purple type printed on it. Brewed in 2000 mixed with events that occurred that year. I peel back the paper and find the bottle cap to be a little rusty, hmmm could be a bad sign but I press on.
The cap pops right off.
The brew pours similar to the yearly offering. Soft creamy off white head foams up very easily, nice tight latticework. Color in my chalice is a rich,clear, dark red color.
Aroma, is yeasty bread, cherries, maybe grapes and actually birch beer. This last scent throws me a little but its there.
First sip gives me a fine prickly carbonation and slightly thick body.
Flavor is rich and complex. I get a sweet malty hit up front followed quickly by bready yeast flavor and then tart sour cherries and the finish brings back the birch beer from the aroma.
This is a very good complex beer that I think has improved greatly with 3 years in a cave. I am going to buy more of these if I see them for sure!

02-18-2004 04:41:30 | More by sulldaddy
Hibernator

Aventinus
500 ml
1 pint .9 fl oz brown bottle

I served this is in a German hefeweizen glass. I would like to eventually get a sweet Aventinus glass, but this will have to do for today. There appears to be a freshness date on the back of the label, but I don't know what it means. It reads 04.233 0503.

Pours a marvelous shade of brown...ranging from darker chestnut colors to light brown. There is a tannish colored head on top that turns into a thin lace.

Very nice aroma...sweet fruits, ripe bananas, spices and cloves. A very inviting nose.

Spicy and carbonated with a clovey, bananas dipped in caramel attack on the palate. Fruity esters with a slight chocolate backdrop. Wheat and grains add a dryness to the finish. One of the most thirst quenching 8.0% ABV beers I've ever had. This could be dangerous.

An awesome beer, no question about it. I wish I had more in my fridge. Weizenbocks are quickly becoming one of my favorite styles of beers. It's clear that the Schneider Aventinus is one of the best out there. Highly recommended.

02-13-2005 21:32:24 | More by Hibernator
mrasskicktastic

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Pours an espresso brown with a two finger head that lingers for minutes and leaves nice little patches of lacing. Sadly with time that find their way down the sides of the glass. Even though this beer is very dark, I can see carbonation bubbling to replace the head. It keeps a small head almost indefinitely (certainly longer than the life expectancy of the beer!)

S - Smells strongly of the sweet malt. Esters from bananas, dates and faint cherries entice me to drink. These three are accompanied by cloves and allspice to further the cause. The odor is amazing. It is a shame it isn't stronger.

T - Delicious. It is moderately sweet from a strong malt presence. Bananas, dates, tart cherries and figs make a presence, while some cloves, allspice, faint nutmeg and a bit of white pepper spice it up. There is a very strong toast presence - and it is well toasted at that. Abv is in the flavor. Even so, the alcohol taste works - it is simply a character trait. This weizenbock is almost everything that I hoped to find in a wheat beer. Banana bread beer. Mmmm.

M - Not quite as thick as I expected. It is thick and quite frothy, but I expected a more chewy texture from this beer. Although, I must say the texture is still excellent. The beer is very refreshing and smooth.

D - Well at the price, 8% abv and .5L bottles, this isn't the ideal session beer. Although any session with this beer would be a wonderful session indeed! It is sweet, but well rounded enough to be an excellent compliment to a meal. I will definitely drink this again. It is my favorite beer to date (I do have a Rochefort 10 in the fridge though). Weizenbocks are probably my favorite style. I wish more breweries would release them.

12-10-2005 05:40:21 | More by mrasskicktastic
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Holy cow. Dark cloudy brown with a HUUUGE head, and I wasn't even trying. Giant bubbles quickly break down though, into a loose covering. Head retention is the weak point of this brew. Looks good though (except the head)

S - Yeast is first and foremost, with a strong menthol like coolness in the bottle. In the glass ripe dark fruits explode.

T - Mixed berries and mild bitterness. A touch of that cooling menthol/alcohol is noticeable. Who'd a thunk a beer could clear your sinuses. Sweetness that matches the fruit well, and a tartness follow. Some spiciness now - cloves maybe a touch of anise.

M - Medium bodied, maybe on the heavier side, but not at all chewy. Drying finish. Carbonation is a bit biting but short lived in the mouth - champagne like.

D - Another please. I pick up more tomorrow. Absolutely fabulous.

02-01-2006 03:41:41 | More by allergictomacros
rtratzlaff

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

My first review, so take with a grain of salt. This is just what my young palate was able to pick up.

Poured a dark ruby color with a beautiful off-white inch thick head.

Nose was slightly chocolate, fruity banana-like esters.

I drank some without the yeast, and some with:
w/out: crisp carbonation up front leading to pleasant sweetness in the middle with tons of flavor and complexity I cannot even begin to describe (maybe one day). I did pick up on the spicy clove finish that the bottle describes, and finally an alcoholic warming of the tongue.
with: raisney fruitiness giving way to yeasty flavor. Flavors similar to w/out but even more complex and pleasing.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth--about what I expected.

I drank this slightly hungry just to make sure I could get it all down, but I ended up still getting quite full from this beer. I'm sure experience BAs could handle it with no problem, but I got quite full and surely felt that 8.2%. It's very deceptive. Make sure you take you time with this one. I imagine this would go well with grilled pork chops.

05-22-2006 01:58:23 | More by rtratzlaff
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a 16.9 to a tall pilsner glass. Listed as 8.2%abv.

A: Rich caramel-brown, semi-cloudy. Enormous multi-finger white head, minimal lacing.
S: Tons of spice, clove, a sweetness like raisins, baked bread (wheat)...lots going on. A truly wonderful smelling beer
T: As good as the smell - lots of spice including perhaps nutmeg or cinammon, malt & wheat predominantly, some fruitiness, a hint of alcohol but very nicely balanced.
M: Medium body with a smooth, lingering malty sweetness. The persistant carbonation makes drinking this somewhat like champagne.
D: Quite enjoyable. A terrific beer for all seasons and one that will go near the top of my personal favorites. Understandable why this is such a highly rated beer.

06-27-2006 17:18:05 | More by msubulldog25
robertmitchum

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

12-13-2006 06:32:38 | More by robertmitchum
Greenfloyd

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Holy Goodnight what a beer...

Ahhemmm..I mean....Pours into a hefe-glass with a shaded redwood color, the stable and very present cloud of toasted ivory foam, hovers overhead. Warm banana spice cake tones find their way into your mind via the incredible nose of this Weizenbock. Malt and sweet plum flavors give way to a perfectly balanced, slightly tart, dark fruit finish. The mouth feel of this beer puts it over the top, giving it all the qualities of a incredibly crafted brew. The wheaty, medium bodied fresh finish lingers favorably until the next sip.
Brunnen getan, meine Deutschen Brüder, gut getan……Pairs as well with bacon wrapped bockwurst, as it does with a medium rare filet mignon...enjoy

01-19-2007 04:40:12 | More by Greenfloyd
ohmybock

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

What do you say about Aventinus? This is easily one of my all-time favorite brews. I'm rating this one based on the bottle, but I've also had it on draft in the States and Germany, and there's not a big difference between any of them...they are all world-class when fresh! This would easily be one of my "five desert island" brews. I used to enjoy many other German-style hefeweizens, but Aventinus has killed my enjoyment of most other "regular" hefes. I've had the Aventinus Eisbock on several occasions as well, but I enjoy this version the most. This has an incredible mixture of the classic German wheat beer flavors, while condensing them, yet not over-doing them. The spicy, clovey phenolics are in perfect harmony here. This brew sets the standard for all other dark-ish weizenbocks. Way-to-go Schneider! Please don't ever change this one nor stop brewing it.

05-29-2007 00:10:05 | More by ohmybock
brdc

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Pured this one into my Aventinus glass, unskillfully producing an enormous amount of a foamy/airy head. It quickly drops down, revealing a beautiful mahogany brew, with a light tan head that is now creamy, leaves a nice lacing and keeps a collar for a very long time. Small pieces of what I hope are yeasts drop slowly to the bottom.
Aroma is tamed, but quite nice; dark fruits, clove, other spices, and even some chocolate.
Creamy and velvety on the mouth, medium to full bodied with little carbonation adding to the velvety feel, it delicate yet bold, spiced up front, evolving into a sweetish chocolate, turning into dark fruits, and then clove, matching the aroma perfectly.
At this ABV is ridiculously easy to take down. First time I review, but my third or fourth, on my way to many more. Exquisite!

Addendum:
Had one bottled in 2001, served in 2010. Aged three years in their caves, longer in my cellar.
The aroma improves remarkably, with a lot of sherry and chocolate notes. Taste seems a bit sweeter, but mouthfeel for some reason feels slightly watered down. Impressive after 9 years.

12-04-2007 23:41:02 | More by brdc
kbnooshay

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a hazy dark amber-brown. The frothy off white head was a few fingers deep for a few minutes before settling down to nothing. The smell is of ripe banana, dark fruit, cider and clove. Barely any alcohol was detected. More of the same in the flavor but the alcohol is definitely more noticeable. The strong dark fruit and banana flavors mix wonderfully with the wheat flavor. Medium body and slick feel. Exquisite.

05-28-2008 02:29:17 | More by kbnooshay
Vvall

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Man,this was an outstanding find...I picked it up not expecting much,mainly because I prefer Stouts,and to my surprise I was astounded.This is exceptional in everyway,even the price was decent.I tastes,looks,and smells great.The alcohol content was enough to make both easy to drink and easy to get a buzz on,with just two or three.I will most certainly be buying this one again...soon.

06-29-2008 20:00:16 | More by Vvall
pwsoldier

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into an Aventinus weizen glass. Yeast swirled and poured with the beer.

A - Pours a dark and cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin layer of suds. Lacing is moderate.

S - Banana, clove, orange, dark fruit, and just a hint of alcohol.

T - Unbelievably complex. Dark fruit comes out the strongest, with some banana and spice coming through as well. The phenolic tones I caught in the nose are completely absent on the palate, which is fine by me.

M - Medium bodied, semi-dry finish. A hint of fruity sweetness lingers on the palate for just a moment, begging you to take another sip.

D - This one is as drinkable as any good dunkelweizen, despite the higher alcohol content. A finer wheat beer could not be asked for.

10-16-2008 06:05:12 | More by pwsoldier
steveh

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Hmm, haven't ever reviewed one of my favorites:

A -- Deep brown, mahogany brown with amber undertones in the cloudy pour. Thick tan head that settles slowly.

S -- Earthy, cloves, dark fruit characters -- some alcohol back. Very appetizing.

T -- Bready malts that fold into dark fruit character and finish in clove spiciness -- wow, big character.

M -- Light-medium body with a spritzy mouth-feel.

D -- Dangerously good at 8.0%.

The mother of all Weizenbocks -- or Doppelweizenbocks, that is.

12-03-2008 22:35:31 | More by steveh
scootny

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Just the best example of the style. A huge head that arrives explosively and stays for eternity. The beer stays covered. Vigorous carbonation is easily seen even though the brew is an opaquely cloudy mahaogany. That is before I make an effort to swirl the yeast in. A light touch of lacing in spite of the abv and low hop content.

Smell is massively fruity. Big banana, clove, raisins. Hints of anise and a spicy pepperiness. Sweet wheat malt adds a sour lemony twang.

Taste is beyond words but I'll try... Large banana yeastiness with a sweet wheat malty backbone. Clove in abundance with a subtle lemon presence, a gentle twang. Yeast dark fruit esters. A melon like juiciness. Alcoholic sweetness in the finish. A mild hop bittering and a lingering fusel note as well as graham flavored breadiness.
Feel is velvety, carbonation is creamy.

Drinkability is better that it has a right to be. While just a touch hot it nevertheless encourages you to go for it. The abv does not call out and the taste and feel is seems lighter than it is.

The paradigm for the style. It has all the attributes of a hefe and a bock in the same glass. At the same time it takes each to a new level in brewing.

02-16-2009 03:45:19 | More by scootny
FreshHawk

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Deep brown with a large foamy ivory head. Very good retention and a good amount of lacing left over.

S - Dark malt and chocolate along with a good amount of fruit (both dark fruit and banana). Faint spices too.

T - Dark malt flavors provide a base, which includes, chocolate and caramel along with some wheat flavors. On top of this is a good amount of sweetness from fruits. Fruits include dark fruits (plums, dates, figs, raisins, and cherries) as well as banana. Also has a bit of a bubblegum flavor and some spices (clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg being the major ones). A bit of a warming alcohol taste finishes the sip.

M - Medium to full body with a fairly high level of carbonation. Creamy and sticky feel make it feel even more full bodied.

D - Probably a bit too sweet and a bit too heavy (as well as too high an ABV) to have multiple ones of this in one sitting, at least consecutively. However, a sipper that I would gladly sip on again.

Notes: Really good beer. Good Hefe flavors mixed with the big, dark maltier flavors of a Doppelbock/BSDA. A bit like liquid candy/sweet juice and a bit like rum. Lots of good flavors, definitely a nice sipper.

03-02-2010 01:01:17 | More by FreshHawk
treznor

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Served on tap at Pizza Paradiso (DC). Floral/citrusy nose. Hazy and dark color. Smooth taste with a bit of a caramel taste at the beginning and a hint of bitterness at the end. Excellent example of a Weizenbock. Could drink this until I fell off the stool!

01-19-2011 01:40:45 | More by treznor