Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,057 | Reviews: 2,068
4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

First I must admit I love this beer, so a little bias may be in order. I'll keep it to a minimum.

A: milk-chocolate brown and cloudy, with a slightly-off white head that fades to minimal, but laces continues. not much left on the glass though, so not as sticky as I like to see.

S: dark fruits come through very strongly, plum and pomegranite, with some wheat very present and some almost-burnt caramel. smell a little bit of heat, but not really a bad alocohol bite .. more of an appetizing heat melding with fruity orange-strawberry. lots of dark caramel on the exhale. loving it.

T: what i'm looking for in a weizenbock and what I compare others to - strong dark fruit again and wheat, sweet but well balanced and with what seems like a quick end - but the after-after taste lingers with sweetness and light fruit. some earthiness. some orange, apple, apple skin notes present

M: medium-thick, not quite as much as I would like, but very smooth, wheat evident.

D: awesome, especially for 8.2%.. alcohol not noticeable really at all, just great, smooth.. overall a great beer.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Awesome beer. I am becoming a HUGE fan of this style of beer, and this is exceptional. It pours a cloudy brown and the smell of bananas and cloves is very strong. I would highly recommend this beer to fans of this style. Very easy drinking, refreshing spring or Summer beer.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a Weizen glass. The color is a nice deep, dark amber that has about 1 finger worth of head to start, but that disappears quickly leaving no lacing; lots of carbonation bubbles as well. The smell is dominated by clove and banana with a slight roasted character as well. The taste is huge on banana & the spicy clove character as well and the finish is dry and slightly citrusy - a perfect dessert beer. This is a well carbonated beer, but a little more creaminess and this would be better off. This beer is absolutely delicious & a wonderful example of what this style (and beer in general) should strive to be. Highest recommendation.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap a few hours ago at Fat Heads in North Olmsted, Ohio. What a treat to find this on tap! Poured professionally into a 0.5 liter Weizen glass by the bartender at Fat Heads.

A Opaque Mahogany body with a slight head of less than a centimeter. The top line went way above the "0.5L" line on the Weizen glass. Way cool.

S Sweet malt and some grains along with a perfect amount of spices to keep one's interest. Just great!

T Spices, sweet malt perfection. Really, the taste cannot be improved.

M Smooth feel in this beer that hides its alcohol maybe as good as any beer out there.

D Great drinkability. I drank the entire 0.5L Weizen glass before I even knew it.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

A remarkable looking beer, this one poured into an official Aventinus wheat glass, with a very full head. Not only was the head nice and full, but as the beer sat the head expanded. It didn't bubble down to a thin layer, but it started to expand until it rose above the rim of the glass. I watched the beer for at least two minutes before I even took my first sip, it was just amazing how long the head was lasting, unlike any beer I have ever seen. The dark brown amber body complemented the creamy brown tone of the head so well. The sweetness in the aroma carrie wheat barley along the alcohol. The nose was like a sweet fig brandy with raisins to complement the complex full aroma. The yeast character from the banana esters were also detectable with in the scent of the beer. The lace formed perfectly and full as I sipped on this huge beer. It is so full bodied with a creamy thick and chewy mouthfeel, that this beer is a meal by itself. The same yeast flavors of the banana and clove is here with buttery notes of apples and raisins. A wonderful aftertaste full of malty goodness laced with alcohol on the tongue. I would love to enjoy this beer regularly, but too many of these put down could equal quite a mess with the high alcohol and full body these are meant to be enjoyed one at a time. I wish I could put more of these away, because it is amazing in every way.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Beautifully dark and hazy with a thunderous off white head.

S: So yeasty and full of malts. Traces of clove and pear, banana phenols roasted wheat malts.

T: Pear and solid roasted wheat malts. Traces of dark fruit and bread and nuts with no indication of its ABV. A very delicious meal in a glass.

M: Crisp carbonation that leaves the mouth clean with a tart sweetness and lingering warmth from the alcohol.

D: So smooth and satisfying and full of complexity. This is art, no, ancient magic in a glass. A beautiful beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

How did I pass this up so many times at my beer store....What a huge mistake...although I've loved quality beer for many years I never tried this until reading about it on this website. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Appearance cannot be improved. Deeep rich looking frothy head. It actually spoke to me...I think its alive and it will not die. Smells of some banana and caramel but so enriched that it smells like a poutpouri with some raisin or plum in the background as well....just beautiful all around. I had this with the intention of a pre-nightcapper but I could see this as an after dinner brew to seal the deal. Something strong enough to compete with the dinner yet rich and easy drinking not to bloat or disturb. mouthfeel was awesome creamy, some oils, carbonation makes its point then fades quickly like alot of german brews. If I did believe in a god it would have to be the person that perfected this recipe....Perfection.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Very inviting thick dark caramel color with a one inch head that stays for a while. A lot of visible carbonation displayed by the bubbles racing to the top to replenish the head.

S: Really ripe bananas is by far the dominant scent.

T: Again, really pronounced banana flavor mixed with wet walnuts, a flash of a dark fruit in the middle, followed by a nutty, bread, banana after taste.

M: Medium body with high carbonation that provides a consistent bite, and finishes with a syrupy exit.

O: Wow. Perfect appearance, excellent mouthfeel, and I really enjoyed the ripe banana and syrupy wet walnut tandem. If not my new favorite, it is among the top tier.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Having this beer on tap, in it's own glass, is a special event. It's a tall glass, slim at bottom and quite wide at top. My favorite style of beer is a Weizenbock, and as you would expect I enjoy the slight sweetness and maltiness of this beer. It really deserves a place among beers such as Chimay Bleu, Westvleteren, Rochefort as an amazing beer that has withstood the test of time. Schneider brews some damn good stuff.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance - beautiful dopple poured into pilsner glass. This beer is a perfect hazy amber color that has a beautiful head with amazing retention. Lots of lacing with this one, really a beautiful sight.

Aroma - nice hints of cloves and multiple berry essences hit you right out of the bottle.

Taste - smooth and very refreshing, honey and berry evident here as well. Sweeter than most dopples and the malt is much more rich than any other.

Feel - smooth on the tongue with a very nice hearty finish

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Nice dark brown color and white head. Head leaves very quickly and provides an easy to drink well carbonated beer. Enough about the feel, color and smell! What a great beer! Get some german cheese, some crackers and have at it. This one will always have a shelf in my fridge. I love it and think that it goes very well with German food. It just tastes like Germany. Enjoy!

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Color of red and brown tones with white head. Nice white ring lasts for the retention. Aroma is very pleasant. Wholesome malts with banana bread, honey, spice, apple, and some faint caramel or toffee sweetness. Mmmmm for taste. Various flavors of sweet malts and fruits weave around in your mouth. Banana and some sort of dark fruits, cloves and spice, and wheat and yeast. Delectable. Great mouthfeel. Gritty and grainy with a velvet like smoothness. Cabonation is just right and adds to the mouthfeel. For 8% very drinkable. Too good to be hard to drink.

A more awesome "dunkel bock" version of the original Schneider Weisse Hefe, which was very yummy itself.

Vintage 2001 bottle...
Appears a dark chestnut brown with traces of red and a 2 finger, foamy tan head that slowly fades out. Little remnants of lace are left around the glass. Small chunks of spent yeast sit at the bottom like artifacts of shrapnel from a battle at sea.
Smell is slightly oxidized but very acceptable for the age, along with mineral water, dusty, aged antiques, notes of port wine, rich brown sugar, raisins, prunes, and very phenolic with hints of cocoa & cloves. It holds it's own against any of the Belgian heavy hitters that you've been sitting on.
Taste is of raisins, cloves, caramel, brown sugar...no trace of any wet cardboard with this 5+ year old bottle. Nice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly sweet, phenolic, and herbal.
Seek this one out. It seems like the 2001 year is ripe and ready now. I recently had a vintage '99 bottle that hadn't held up nearly as nice as this one.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: This beer is an eye-catching 500 ml German style bottle. It was actually not on my list when I walked past it in State College and it grabbed my eye.

Appearance: Pours a rusty brown color into my Hefe Weizen Glass with a large tan head.

Smell: It has a strong yeast aroma that provides a distinct twang followed by caramel malts dark fruits and spices; and then there is a bit of apple cider and pumpkin pie aroma rising up through the center to make a statement of presence in the nose.

Taste: What a truly unique treat. I am hooked. It is every thing I like in a Dunkel with more booze and the deep rum raisin flavors I love in a DoubleBock. The yeast the wheat the spicy cloves in the stinging aftertaste all keep this beer remarkably interesting. From the top. It starts out with a gentle alcohol warming sensation and is immediately followed by fruity yeasty twang with spices of clove and nutmeg sweet malts and hint of banana drizzled in caramel and a hint of chocolate, following. The aftertaste may be the best feature. Wow, I can't stop wanting more. There is a residual spiciness that keep beckoning for the next sip.

Mouthfeel: This is a full body beer with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: Wow. I can't even explain how easily this beer drinks. I am thinking we should defiantly buy stock in it though. Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH. I wonder if they are a publicly held stock? ;-) It is that freaking good. I suggest buying a case.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle poured into weizen glass.

Appearance: Cloudy brown. Head is faint and quicky subsides to almost nothing. No lacing is present.

Smell: Upfront fruitiness: fruity, grape aroma with faint cloves. Musky, yeasty wheat beer aroma is easily noticeable. Slight hints of coffee and chocolate lay in the background.

Taste: Tart grapes with a chocolately, yeasty background. Rich malts predominate upfront with a citrusy, fruity finish. A rather common wheat/weizen beer flavor is easily detected. This beer has a rather vibrant carbonation upfront, yet is exremely smooth in its finish.

Overall : A completely flawless weizenbock. Highly recommended!

I. Love. This. Beer.

A- Pours a nice warm copper. Pretty.

S-Like a good wheat beer should exept with a twinge more alcahol.

T-not what I was expecting from the style, tastes like a hefe with a stiffer backbone. Not as crisp, but in a good way. The flavor lingers on the palate and brew warms the chest as it slides down. Very floral and delicious.

M-a bit more carbonation than I needed, but after a while it becomes pretty creamy and nice.

DrA.- Wow, this thing is a gulper. I have to hold myself back from downing it. I like how its a high alch. content dunkel yet it goes down so easily.

Overall- Just awesome. As a huge hefe fan I am in heaven.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours cloudy dark chocolate brown with a tan head with lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates slowly, leaving very little lacing on the side of the glass. It appears to be well carbonated. There are smells of sweet malt, esters such as banana and bubblegum, and alcohol. There are other dark fruits such as raisin and prunes in the aroma as well. The flavor reflects the taste. There are sweet malts, fruit, and bubblegum flavors. There is some alcohol in the taste, but it's not very strong for a beer above 8% ABV. There yeast is also in the taste. There's a mild aftertaste. The body is light with abundant carbonation. The carbonation helps chase away the aftertaste, making this very easy to drink. Overall, this is a fantastic beer with high drinkability.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

What do you say about Aventinus? This is easily one of my all-time favorite brews. I'm rating this one based on the bottle, but I've also had it on draft in the States and Germany, and there's not a big difference between any of them...they are all world-class when fresh! This would easily be one of my "five desert island" brews. I used to enjoy many other German-style hefeweizens, but Aventinus has killed my enjoyment of most other "regular" hefes. I've had the Aventinus Eisbock on several occasions as well, but I enjoy this version the most. This has an incredible mixture of the classic German wheat beer flavors, while condensing them, yet not over-doing them. The spicy, clovey phenolics are in perfect harmony here. This brew sets the standard for all other dark-ish weizenbocks. Way-to-go Schneider! Please don't ever change this one nor stop brewing it.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

The brew was a dark amber/ruby color with a nice yeasty haziness and a good creamy head that fades slowly. The smell was sweet with tons of fruitiness and some nice biscuity yeast. The flavor starts off with some nice sweet/tart vinous fruity flavors with some definite banana qualities and some raisins as well. There is some yeasty biscuity/bready flavors as well as a nice warming alcohol glow. The brew was very smooth and creamy and had the trademark full mouthfeel of the unfiltered wheat beers. For the strength of this brew it was amazingly drinkable. I could see myself putting away a lot of these and being very happy to do so.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Heavenly. This beer and brewery on top of my favorites list.

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a dark chocolate color with a thick foamy head. This beer is an excellent drinking beer for it's alcohol content. It has a very nice balanced malt flavor with a hint of caramel and dark fruits.

This beer goes down easy and is clearly the best dark wheat beer I've had. It has little carbonation notes on the tounge with a full caramel and dark fruit taste that is nicely balanced and not overly sweet like most doppelbocks.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Man,this was an outstanding find...I picked it up not expecting much,mainly because I prefer Stouts,and to my surprise I was astounded.This is exceptional in everyway,even the price was decent.I tastes,looks,and smells great.The alcohol content was enough to make both easy to drink and easy to get a buzz on,with just two or three.I will most certainly be buying this one again...soon.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Pured this one into my Aventinus glass, unskillfully producing an enormous amount of a foamy/airy head. It quickly drops down, revealing a beautiful mahogany brew, with a light tan head that is now creamy, leaves a nice lacing and keeps a collar for a very long time. Small pieces of what I hope are yeasts drop slowly to the bottom.
Aroma is tamed, but quite nice; dark fruits, clove, other spices, and even some chocolate.
Creamy and velvety on the mouth, medium to full bodied with little carbonation adding to the velvety feel, it delicate yet bold, spiced up front, evolving into a sweetish chocolate, turning into dark fruits, and then clove, matching the aroma perfectly.
At this ABV is ridiculously easy to take down. First time I review, but my third or fourth, on my way to many more. Exquisite!

Addendum:
Had one bottled in 2001, served in 2010. Aged three years in their caves, longer in my cellar.
The aroma improves remarkably, with a lot of sherry and chocolate notes. Taste seems a bit sweeter, but mouthfeel for some reason feels slightly watered down. Impressive after 9 years.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Hmm, haven't ever reviewed one of my favorites:

A -- Deep brown, mahogany brown with amber undertones in the cloudy pour. Thick tan head that settles slowly.

S -- Earthy, cloves, dark fruit characters -- some alcohol back. Very appetizing.

T -- Bready malts that fold into dark fruit character and finish in clove spiciness -- wow, big character.

M -- Light-medium body with a spritzy mouth-feel.

D -- Dangerously good at 8.0%.

The mother of all Weizenbocks -- or Doppelweizenbocks, that is.