Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,053 | Hads: 4,150
4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Very inviting thick dark caramel color with a one inch head that stays for a while. A lot of visible carbonation displayed by the bubbles racing to the top to replenish the head.

S: Really ripe bananas is by far the dominant scent.

T: Again, really pronounced banana flavor mixed with wet walnuts, a flash of a dark fruit in the middle, followed by a nutty, bread, banana after taste.

M: Medium body with high carbonation that provides a consistent bite, and finishes with a syrupy exit.

O: Wow. Perfect appearance, excellent mouthfeel, and I really enjoyed the ripe banana and syrupy wet walnut tandem. If not my new favorite, it is among the top tier.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Having this beer on tap, in it's own glass, is a special event. It's a tall glass, slim at bottom and quite wide at top. My favorite style of beer is a Weizenbock, and as you would expect I enjoy the slight sweetness and maltiness of this beer. It really deserves a place among beers such as Chimay Bleu, Westvleteren, Rochefort as an amazing beer that has withstood the test of time. Schneider brews some damn good stuff.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance - beautiful dopple poured into pilsner glass. This beer is a perfect hazy amber color that has a beautiful head with amazing retention. Lots of lacing with this one, really a beautiful sight.

Aroma - nice hints of cloves and multiple berry essences hit you right out of the bottle.

Taste - smooth and very refreshing, honey and berry evident here as well. Sweeter than most dopples and the malt is much more rich than any other.

Feel - smooth on the tongue with a very nice hearty finish

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice dark brown color and white head. Head leaves very quickly and provides an easy to drink well carbonated beer. Enough about the feel, color and smell! What a great beer! Get some german cheese, some crackers and have at it. This one will always have a shelf in my fridge. I love it and think that it goes very well with German food. It just tastes like Germany. Enjoy!

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Color of red and brown tones with white head. Nice white ring lasts for the retention. Aroma is very pleasant. Wholesome malts with banana bread, honey, spice, apple, and some faint caramel or toffee sweetness. Mmmmm for taste. Various flavors of sweet malts and fruits weave around in your mouth. Banana and some sort of dark fruits, cloves and spice, and wheat and yeast. Delectable. Great mouthfeel. Gritty and grainy with a velvet like smoothness. Cabonation is just right and adds to the mouthfeel. For 8% very drinkable. Too good to be hard to drink.

A more awesome "dunkel bock" version of the original Schneider Weisse Hefe, which was very yummy itself.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

A- This brew is super hazy and is of a rich copper color with hints of orange and red in the background. The head is a dense creamy off white color and while it dissipates rather quickly, a lingering bubbly film sticks around the top of the beer.....too hard to tell what the carbonation is like and the lacing isn't very sticky unfortunately, with the patchwork of foam quickly sliding back into my glass.

S- This has a rich malty sweetness about it upfront with heavy notes of yeast, biscuit and freshly baked bread as well! Banana esters are present as well as molasses, toffee/caramel and fruity light grains. There is a spicy finish that catches the nostrils ever so slightly....very nice overall!

T- Beautiful flavors that combine rich dark fruits, with sweet toffee/caramel malt! Banana, black molasses, mildly oaked vanilla, and bread yeast comprise the basis of the flavors with a slightly citrusy backbone. I also get hints of milky chocolate and rum cake spiciness. The finish lingers with sticky flavors on the palate and as this warms, the alcoholic tinge smooths out. There is virtually no hop bitterness either on the finish.

M/O- The mouthfeel of this one is medium/full bodied, and the carbonation is creamy smooth....perhaps the best way to describe this is dessert like....almost banana bread in character! The alcohol is so well hidden for a high percentage and is so well balanced between sweet, dried fruit, alcohol and spice that one forgets that this is beer really! I can see why this is so highly regarded and I would absolutely love to enjoy this beer all evening, but I'm sure it would catch up with me very quickly. This is the essence of excellence for this style and I will most definitely get this one again if given the chance! Full marks and recommendation....if this had a head that retained like Tap X as an example, I feel this would be as close to perfection as possible!

Vintage 2001 bottle...
Appears a dark chestnut brown with traces of red and a 2 finger, foamy tan head that slowly fades out. Little remnants of lace are left around the glass. Small chunks of spent yeast sit at the bottom like artifacts of shrapnel from a battle at sea.
Smell is slightly oxidized but very acceptable for the age, along with mineral water, dusty, aged antiques, notes of port wine, rich brown sugar, raisins, prunes, and very phenolic with hints of cocoa & cloves. It holds it's own against any of the Belgian heavy hitters that you've been sitting on.
Taste is of raisins, cloves, caramel, brown trace of any wet cardboard with this 5+ year old bottle. Nice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly sweet, phenolic, and herbal.
Seek this one out. It seems like the 2001 year is ripe and ready now. I recently had a vintage '99 bottle that hadn't held up nearly as nice as this one.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation: This beer is an eye-catching 500 ml German style bottle. It was actually not on my list when I walked past it in State College and it grabbed my eye.

Appearance: Pours a rusty brown color into my Hefe Weizen Glass with a large tan head.

Smell: It has a strong yeast aroma that provides a distinct twang followed by caramel malts dark fruits and spices; and then there is a bit of apple cider and pumpkin pie aroma rising up through the center to make a statement of presence in the nose.

Taste: What a truly unique treat. I am hooked. It is every thing I like in a Dunkel with more booze and the deep rum raisin flavors I love in a DoubleBock. The yeast the wheat the spicy cloves in the stinging aftertaste all keep this beer remarkably interesting. From the top. It starts out with a gentle alcohol warming sensation and is immediately followed by fruity yeasty twang with spices of clove and nutmeg sweet malts and hint of banana drizzled in caramel and a hint of chocolate, following. The aftertaste may be the best feature. Wow, I can't stop wanting more. There is a residual spiciness that keep beckoning for the next sip.

Mouthfeel: This is a full body beer with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability: Wow. I can't even explain how easily this beer drinks. I am thinking we should defiantly buy stock in it though. Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH. I wonder if they are a publicly held stock? ;-) It is that freaking good. I suggest buying a case.

Hope this is helpful.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation: 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle poured into weizen glass.

Appearance: Cloudy brown. Head is faint and quicky subsides to almost nothing. No lacing is present.

Smell: Upfront fruitiness: fruity, grape aroma with faint cloves. Musky, yeasty wheat beer aroma is easily noticeable. Slight hints of coffee and chocolate lay in the background.

Taste: Tart grapes with a chocolately, yeasty background. Rich malts predominate upfront with a citrusy, fruity finish. A rather common wheat/weizen beer flavor is easily detected. This beer has a rather vibrant carbonation upfront, yet is exremely smooth in its finish.

Overall : A completely flawless weizenbock. Highly recommended!

I. Love. This. Beer.

A- Pours a nice warm copper. Pretty.

S-Like a good wheat beer should exept with a twinge more alcahol.

T-not what I was expecting from the style, tastes like a hefe with a stiffer backbone. Not as crisp, but in a good way. The flavor lingers on the palate and brew warms the chest as it slides down. Very floral and delicious.

M-a bit more carbonation than I needed, but after a while it becomes pretty creamy and nice.

DrA.- Wow, this thing is a gulper. I have to hold myself back from downing it. I like how its a high alch. content dunkel yet it goes down so easily.

Overall- Just awesome. As a huge hefe fan I am in heaven.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours cloudy dark chocolate brown with a tan head with lots of tiny bubbles. The head dissipates slowly, leaving very little lacing on the side of the glass. It appears to be well carbonated. There are smells of sweet malt, esters such as banana and bubblegum, and alcohol. There are other dark fruits such as raisin and prunes in the aroma as well. The flavor reflects the taste. There are sweet malts, fruit, and bubblegum flavors. There is some alcohol in the taste, but it's not very strong for a beer above 8% ABV. There yeast is also in the taste. There's a mild aftertaste. The body is light with abundant carbonation. The carbonation helps chase away the aftertaste, making this very easy to drink. Overall, this is a fantastic beer with high drinkability.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

What do you say about Aventinus? This is easily one of my all-time favorite brews. I'm rating this one based on the bottle, but I've also had it on draft in the States and Germany, and there's not a big difference between any of them...they are all world-class when fresh! This would easily be one of my "five desert island" brews. I used to enjoy many other German-style hefeweizens, but Aventinus has killed my enjoyment of most other "regular" hefes. I've had the Aventinus Eisbock on several occasions as well, but I enjoy this version the most. This has an incredible mixture of the classic German wheat beer flavors, while condensing them, yet not over-doing them. The spicy, clovey phenolics are in perfect harmony here. This brew sets the standard for all other dark-ish weizenbocks. Way-to-go Schneider! Please don't ever change this one nor stop brewing it.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

The brew was a dark amber/ruby color with a nice yeasty haziness and a good creamy head that fades slowly. The smell was sweet with tons of fruitiness and some nice biscuity yeast. The flavor starts off with some nice sweet/tart vinous fruity flavors with some definite banana qualities and some raisins as well. There is some yeasty biscuity/bready flavors as well as a nice warming alcohol glow. The brew was very smooth and creamy and had the trademark full mouthfeel of the unfiltered wheat beers. For the strength of this brew it was amazingly drinkable. I could see myself putting away a lot of these and being very happy to do so.

Warning: first weizenbock review

Appearance: Poured into an Ayinger hefeweizen glass. Good fluffy, 4 finger head. No lacing, but the faintest head is retained throughout the beer. Very nice light brown, amber color.

Aroma: With the smell of something like a fruit cobbler, I know this is gonna be good. Bananas, apples, faint spices. Very nice

Taste: I had heard people say this before, so maybe I was somewhat expecting it, but this really does taste like a Trappist, or at least Belgian dark ale. Complex, yet perfectly balanced. Some baked fruits. The wheat is not omnipresent like in hefeweizens (the only other wheat style I am somewhat familiar with), but there are hints of the same spices such as clove. It is very sweet, but not overpowering, like some chocolate stouts. There is kind of a slight butterscotch taste. The faint (but tasty) hops kick in at just the right time to override the sweetness, and then quickly fade. But the balance is key here. Not the flavors as individuals, but how the brewers have managed to bring all of the flavors into a flavor of their own. I continue to be amazed as I look at the bottle and see the 8.2% ABV, as the alcohol is almost completely not present (vs. the Aventinus Eisbock).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pillowy. The head at the beginning blends perfectlt with the beer. Enough head retains to keep this balance up.

Drinkability: Holy #*%&($($($*@%!!! I figured that this would just be another beer that got rave reviews but just wouldn't be my thing. If I had the money I would just throw massive keg parties with nothing but Aventinus. At 8.2% ABV, this is nothing to scoff at, but I can barely taste it. Actually I can see myself getting in trouble with this brew. As the alcohol really does sneak up on you, it shouldn't be sessionable, but it just tastes so good!!!! Nonetheless, I hope to have this in my fridge more often in the future.

Note: I had originally thought that this was a regular doppelbock, but as I have not had a doppelbock either, my warning still applies

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a dark chocolate color with a thick foamy head. This beer is an excellent drinking beer for it's alcohol content. It has a very nice balanced malt flavor with a hint of caramel and dark fruits.

This beer goes down easy and is clearly the best dark wheat beer I've had. It has little carbonation notes on the tounge with a full caramel and dark fruit taste that is nicely balanced and not overly sweet like most doppelbocks.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Man,this was an outstanding find...I picked it up not expecting much,mainly because I prefer Stouts,and to my surprise I was astounded.This is exceptional in everyway,even the price was decent.I tastes,looks,and smells great.The alcohol content was enough to make both easy to drink and easy to get a buzz on,with just two or three.I will most certainly be buying this one again...soon.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pured this one into my Aventinus glass, unskillfully producing an enormous amount of a foamy/airy head. It quickly drops down, revealing a beautiful mahogany brew, with a light tan head that is now creamy, leaves a nice lacing and keeps a collar for a very long time. Small pieces of what I hope are yeasts drop slowly to the bottom.
Aroma is tamed, but quite nice; dark fruits, clove, other spices, and even some chocolate.
Creamy and velvety on the mouth, medium to full bodied with little carbonation adding to the velvety feel, it delicate yet bold, spiced up front, evolving into a sweetish chocolate, turning into dark fruits, and then clove, matching the aroma perfectly.
At this ABV is ridiculously easy to take down. First time I review, but my third or fourth, on my way to many more. Exquisite!

Had one bottled in 2001, served in 2010. Aged three years in their caves, longer in my cellar.
The aroma improves remarkably, with a lot of sherry and chocolate notes. Taste seems a bit sweeter, but mouthfeel for some reason feels slightly watered down. Impressive after 9 years.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Hmm, haven't ever reviewed one of my favorites:

A -- Deep brown, mahogany brown with amber undertones in the cloudy pour. Thick tan head that settles slowly.

S -- Earthy, cloves, dark fruit characters -- some alcohol back. Very appetizing.

T -- Bready malts that fold into dark fruit character and finish in clove spiciness -- wow, big character.

M -- Light-medium body with a spritzy mouth-feel.

D -- Dangerously good at 8.0%.

The mother of all Weizenbocks -- or Doppelweizenbocks, that is.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Chocolate brown suspended in golden orange--totally unique and compelling. Cloudy, pours with a big head that subsides to light suds. Low viscosity.

Aroma: Banana, chocolate, cloves, orange and some lactose sour notes. Sour wheat finish combines with peppery hops and a little booze. Phenomenal.

Taste: Great. Full weizen flavor, with banana esters, orange, cloves. Chocolate and toffee background from the bock malts and hops and chalk in the finish. Great blend of sweet bock tendencies and some of the sour wheat notes. Fruity in a way that many bocks aren't.

Mouthfeel: Great doppelbock body--slightly lighter, with good malts and subtle cleansing hops--combines with the finish of a wheat beer. More aggressive carbonation that is typical of weizens.

Drinkability: Definitely the standard and the standard-killer for weizenbocks. Simply superb combination of wheat and bock tendencies, resulting in a ridiculously drinkable beer. I enjoyed this bottle as much as I enjoyed my first encounter with this in the Schneiderbrau restaurant in Munich.

Poured into a Aventinus glass at 55 degrees. Perfect

A - Gorgeous. I mean thick white head of like 2+ fingers with a enticing brown colo for the body. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Wheat aromas predominate, followed but a rich caramel malty sort of sweetness. Banana and cloves are present from the yeast strain.

T - Same as the nose but better. I mean its hard to put to words how balanced and delicious this beer is. You cant stop drinking it. I mean i went through a full Aventinus glass in like 4 minutes because I constantly wanted to taste the beautiful flavors. The alcohol notes do sort of pop through right at the end but its in enjoyable way.

M - Perfect. the creamy sort of wheat feel to it which is just perfectly balanced. Medium bodied not too much and not too little.

O - This is easily the best Weiznbock in the world. Weinhestephaners comes close but this one is in a league of its own. Schneider & Son is da bomb.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Served on tap at Pizza Paradiso (DC). Floral/citrusy nose. Hazy and dark color. Smooth taste with a bit of a caramel taste at the beginning and a hint of bitterness at the end. Excellent example of a Weizenbock. Could drink this until I fell off the stool!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

This is among my favorite of beers, both dark and complex this weizenbock is an absolute treat because of its depth and sweet finish. The first few sips each bring different notes and it takes finishing a pint to fully appreciate all of the elements that bring together this fantastic find.

While I've tried it from a bottle, my first recommendation would be to make your first attempt from the tap to really grasp it at its best. This is an exceptionably drinkable beer and of the highest quality and standard. No matter if you get the best or worst bartender of the lot, the pour is nearly always respectable. To me it starts with a dry roasted flavor and subtly the sweet notes take hold.

The banana note that previous reviewers have referenced first hit me as a sort of bubblegum finish. This is most certainly the combination of clove and banana coming through.

A note on food pairing, if you're ever in the hunt for a good breakfast food beer pairing I would highly recommend the way this compliments buttery breakfast items like french toast and Belgian waffles, or sage sausages.

500 ml
1 pint .9 fl oz brown bottle

I served this is in a German hefeweizen glass. I would like to eventually get a sweet Aventinus glass, but this will have to do for today. There appears to be a freshness date on the back of the label, but I don't know what it means. It reads 04.233 0503.

Pours a marvelous shade of brown...ranging from darker chestnut colors to light brown. There is a tannish colored head on top that turns into a thin lace.

Very nice aroma...sweet fruits, ripe bananas, spices and cloves. A very inviting nose.

Spicy and carbonated with a clovey, bananas dipped in caramel attack on the palate. Fruity esters with a slight chocolate backdrop. Wheat and grains add a dryness to the finish. One of the most thirst quenching 8.0% ABV beers I've ever had. This could be dangerous.

An awesome beer, no question about it. I wish I had more in my fridge. Weizenbocks are quickly becoming one of my favorite styles of beers. It's clear that the Schneider Aventinus is one of the best out there. Highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Nice light brown / dark copper color, bit foggy / hazy. Very nice creamy head. The aroma is a fruity / banana and yeast. The taste is fruity, sweet taste; hints of bananas and cloves, touch of caramel, and some raison notes in there as well. I thought it was balanced to near perfection. Overall a excellent brew! Enjoyed this at Ludwigs Garten (in Philly) with the Bierman9 & Artied2.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Holy Goodnight what a beer...

Ahhemmm..I mean....Pours into a hefe-glass with a shaded redwood color, the stable and very present cloud of toasted ivory foam, hovers overhead. Warm banana spice cake tones find their way into your mind via the incredible nose of this Weizenbock. Malt and sweet plum flavors give way to a perfectly balanced, slightly tart, dark fruit finish. The mouth feel of this beer puts it over the top, giving it all the qualities of a incredibly crafted brew. The wheaty, medium bodied fresh finish lingers favorably until the next sip.
Brunnen getan, meine Deutschen Brüder, gut getan……Pairs as well with bacon wrapped bockwurst, as it does with a medium rare filet mignon...enjoy