Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

YOUR RATING = None |

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Reviews: 2,092 | Ratings: 4,342
4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This is by far one of the best beers i've ever had. Poured to a medium cloudy brown with a fast forming thick head, not bad. Smell is of sweet grains, enough to make you want it.

Taste is amazing, a slight sweetness and a body that fills the mouth, Smoother than anything i've ever drank, goes down so so easily. Making this one of the most drinkable and delicious things I've ever had.

My only fear is that there won't be any of this left next time i go to buy beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Had on tap while in Germany. Poured a dark cola looking color. Nice frothy white head.
S: Smell is of banana and hefe yeast. Also has a fruity scent in there.
T: Tastes real sweet. Lots of different flavors in there: banana, dark fruits, yeast, wheat.
M: Mouthfeel is perfect, creamy and very smooth going down.
D: Drinkability was awesome this beer went down very well, the high ABV is very well hidden in this beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

"Germany's original Wheat-Doppelbock Ale" on the label. I used to think that bock implied lager, but now I know otherwise. I have heard wonderful things about this beer and so I am curious; it's supposed to be the ultimate in wheat beers. We shall see if it lives up to this claim.

Look - Poured into a weizen glass a cloudy brown, maple syrup like color. Thick off white head as is typical for wheat beers.

Nose - The scent of clove is very intense. Bananna goodness is there as well. Deep chocolate sweetness...alcohol is their but doesn't completely dominate the situation.

Taste - This is the clove and bananna bomb to end all clove and bananna bombs! Next I'm blasted by a rich maltiness that I have not noticed in wheat beers before. Chocolate is here but it is balanced by bitterness of hops, alcohol, and clove spiciness. I can see also why some say that this tastes like bubblegum; there is a definite bubblegum flavor there but it is not bad at all. I like to think of it as chocolate covered bananna. To sum this all up it as though there is a war being waged between wheat, malt, and yeast that created a symphony of complex goodness that rivals Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. If I haven't sung the praises of this enough I will say that this beer has done the unthinkable and combined my two favorite types of beer: wheat and doppelbock. Very nice tasting and something that I will be returning to.

All of this being said I can see why some beer drinker's might not care for it much. If there is a beer spectrum that stretches from hoppy on end (IPA) to malty on the other, Aventinus would be representative of the malty side...so hopheads beware.

As I sip further I am starting to feel the warming effects of the relatively high, 8.2%, alcohol. This will be a nice beer to bring to my family's Xmas gathering to keep warm and to endure their idiotic banter.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a 16.9 to a tall pilsner glass. Listed as 8.2%abv.

A: Rich caramel-brown, semi-cloudy. Enormous multi-finger white head, minimal lacing.
S: Tons of spice, clove, a sweetness like raisins, baked bread (wheat)...lots going on. A truly wonderful smelling beer
T: As good as the smell - lots of spice including perhaps nutmeg or cinammon, malt & wheat predominantly, some fruitiness, a hint of alcohol but very nicely balanced.
M: Medium body with a smooth, lingering malty sweetness. The persistant carbonation makes drinking this somewhat like champagne.
D: Quite enjoyable. A terrific beer for all seasons and one that will go near the top of my personal favorites. Understandable why this is such a highly rated beer.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured a hazy dark amber-brown. The frothy off white head was a few fingers deep for a few minutes before settling down to nothing. The smell is of ripe banana, dark fruit, cider and clove. Barely any alcohol was detected. More of the same in the flavor but the alcohol is definitely more noticeable. The strong dark fruit and banana flavors mix wonderfully with the wheat flavor. Medium body and slick feel. Exquisite.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into an Aventinus weizen glass. Yeast swirled and poured with the beer.

A - Pours a dark and cloudy brownish-red with an impressive off-white head that gradually dissipates into a thin layer of suds. Lacing is moderate.

S - Banana, clove, orange, dark fruit, and just a hint of alcohol.

T - Unbelievably complex. Dark fruit comes out the strongest, with some banana and spice coming through as well. The phenolic tones I caught in the nose are completely absent on the palate, which is fine by me.

M - Medium bodied, semi-dry finish. A hint of fruity sweetness lingers on the palate for just a moment, begging you to take another sip.

D - This one is as drinkable as any good dunkelweizen, despite the higher alcohol content. A finer wheat beer could not be asked for.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Finally getting around to reviewing this thing. Ive had it a few times and loved every single time.

Poured into an Aventinus glass. Caramel body with white head. The head is reflective of the ABV compared to the hefeweizen head. I get load of clove out of the nose, a slightly spicy clove. The taste is loaded with banana and clove. Theres an insane balance between the clove and banana. Full feeling in the mouth, with the yeast flavors just taking over in the best way possible. Finishes chewy and amazing.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a very interesting, very enjoyable beer which I loved, although I was not sure what to expect.

Deep, murky brown with a little reddish-ochre hue to it, this has a big, dense, light tan head that slowly shrinks to a foamy ring and leaves a little weak lace.

The aroms is fruit - banana and stewed and spiced plums and pears, with a hint of burnt/caramelized pumpkin, bubblegum, whole wheat bread. It's very aromatic yet light and complex, with a definite hefeweizen element but also a stronger, bock-like quality, which seems logical.

The taste is highly interesting, lively and complex, which was what hit me before any specific flavours did. It is light, yet strongly flavoured, zesty, lively. It has a lto of fruit, spice, apple, 7-up, whole wheat bread, a hint root beer and a hint of rum - with alcohol evident but restrained and smooth. SUpposedly it's has some choclate, but I did not really get that. It does not taste its strength. it is highly drinkable and engaging.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Big off-white head, dark violet color. Chocolate aromas detected from arm's length, just after I poured it into it's own unique Aventinus glass, footed at the bottom, ballooning at the top. With a closer sniff, all kinds of things come spilling out of this aromatic cornucopia! Cloves, cocoa, anise, spices, dark fruits. Great malt, some sparkling hops, long, luxurious finish. A glorious balance between dark and light. More flavors leap to the imagination as I savor each sip...peppers, raisins, I search for other fruits, but I'll stick with grapes. Halfway through this 16.9 oz,. bottle the head has disappeared, but the flavor's still bursting through! Heavy, alcoholic, but remarkably drinkable, with spice and raisiny flavors standing triumphant. A unique creation, and one of the best sips I've ever put to my lips!

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Look: Deep reddish brown, slightly cloudy. Big head, but it dissipates quickly with a little lacing

Smell: Cloves, and dark fruit - plums mostly

Taste: Up Front: All kinds of spices, but cloves stand out. Finish: Banana, raisin, prune, clove, sweet & roasted malt

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth & thick with low/medium carbonation

Drinkability: Oh My ME, that was easy to drink! So smooth and decadent!

Overall Impression: This Weizenbock from Germany is hands down, the best one I've had to date. Very complex from start to finish. I truly have never cared much for Wheat Beers, but this one changes everything. I could drink this any time! Highly recommended!

Schneider Aventinus
From tap to Aventinus glass 07/28/2010

A: Thanks to Toronado SD's little Private Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider promo, I was served Aventinus in it's own glass, which I got to keep. It's pours a deep, cloudy, leather-brown with red hues. Even though it's dim in Toronado, no light passes through this ale. Lots of carbonation and a two-finger head. Lots of immediate lacing which seems to collapse under its own weight and doesn't stick

S: The Bavarian yeasts are very noticeable with banana and clove as the most prominent scents. Some citrus is also in there.

T: This tastes exactly like it smells with banana and clove washing over your tongue. The hops nicely balance the malty sweetness with citrus notes, leaving a perfectly clean finish. The 8% alcohol is completely hidden, even as the beer warms, but a bready, chocolaty undertone becomes noticeable. These flavors work perfect together and are remarkably balanced.

M: One of the more viscous and creamy wheat ales I've had (I've avoided wheat ales because of my dissatisfaction with a lot of the popular American varieties)
Definitely the consistency of a 'big' beer.

D: With the amazing balance it's hard to stop drinking this. I could easily drink 4 or 5 more but I have to drive home. There are enough layers of flavors to keep any beer geek interested, but I can't imagine anyone who likes beer not liking this.

Notes: Well, I think this is going to be my gateway drug to German beer. I've had a few here and there, but I find many of the American beers that call themselves 'Hefeweizens' complete boring, which led me to avoid 'real' hefeweizens, and I haven't had a wheat ale in a long time. Not to mention, when I moved to San Diego, I found Karl Strauss (which used to specialize in German-style beer) to be the weaker of the amazing local breweries (not so much anymore, Karl Strauss has really stepped up their game). Schneider Aventinus just completely converted me, thank god Toronado SD sent out their promo email. This is truly a remarkable beer - I think I'm going on a weizenbock binge, as I have been with IPA's.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This one was a good find at the beer store. A 3 year old aged Aventinus specially packaged. From the information hanging off the bottle: "Therefore, in 1999, the Schneider brewery decided to age 240 cases of Aventinus each year in their historical ice cellar in Kelheim with each batch held for a minimum of 3 years." The result is quite yummy. Pours light brown in color with a haze. Smell is of bananas and yeast. Taste is heavenly. Bananas, lemon juice, minimal cloves. I wish I had a new one to compare against. Perhaps this is worth another trip back to the store! $5.49 for 500ml bottle. If you see it, it is worth it. Label says hints of softer chocolate, clay, and sherry when aged. Excuse me if I didn't pick up on all of these.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured this 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. bottle into my tall Schöfferhofer Weizen glass and, man, I haven't seen a better looking beer in a long time. HUGE, rocky tan head capped off the glass like a royal staff. Amazing bubbling action. Bubbles vigorously shot up the entire length of the glass and built up so much speed that they were forcing other bubbles to some to shoot down a little and then wiggle back up. It was cool to watch and I'm probably not explaining it well.

Aroma of ripe banana, brown sugar, and wonderfully historic musty-smelling malts.

The banana is front and center in the taste. There's faint apple, and caramel malts laced with burnt brown sugar.

Mouthfeel was velvety, yet carbonated enough. Perfect.

This one really speaks to me, It's a classic. So flavorful and delicious. I need to seek out the aged versions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Review of 2006 vintage, on 5/13/2011.

Appears a deep mahogany in color. Sudsy head dissipates to a film quick, thought the film stays around. No lace. Huge difference in the head between the aged version and the "off-the-boat" version which was frothy and billowy.

The aroma gives off a single profile that has the original flavors I remember from the "fresh" version folded into each other. But I can make out banana, dark fruit (plum & apple) and notes of chocolate.

The taste is also a combination of so many flavors into one massive layered profile. It's harder to dissect the flavor profile on the aged version as everything is blended so much. But I can taste cherry, caramel, banana, plum, and apple, all layered with a kiss of chocolate. Overall, it's similar fig, but sweeter. And it gets even sweeter in the last 3rd of the glass.

Meadium-heavy body that has a creamy core with crisp edges.

Drinkability isn't bad. Good at first, but diminishes as you get further along.

I was really looking forward to the vintage. I enjoyed it, but realized in the end that I prefer the fresher version. I still recommend trying to the aged version.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

For all the hype, all the great reviews, and the fact that I can get this at my nearby Kroger in Richmond, I'm now even more ridiculously impressed at how good this is. 1 pt 9 oz bottle.

Appearance: Lacing isn't crazy, but the head stays put on top of the beer, dissipating slowly with each pour. Unfiltered wheat haze with amber and brown undertones.

Smell: A fantastic mesh of clove, banana, slight cream, and malt at the forefront. Some slight dark fruit and chocolate undetones. This is absolutely ridiculous it's so good, and I'm having trouble getting my nose out of it.

Taste: As I'm tasting this, I'm thinking to myself, "Is this for real?" Beautiful malt sweetness, banana, clove, and cream. The aftertaste lingers for long on the tongue, and it should be savored. I have to say, the complexity here is NOT the point; it's that what's here is balanced so smoothly, so beautifully, and so tastefully, that it certainly, to me, warrants an exceptional rating. So goddamn good.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to full-bodied, medium carbonation that fits the creamy and fuller body of the beer. Wonderful.

Drinkability: I had no clue what I was in for. This may be the beer that I expected worlds from and finally got them in return. I can't wait to get more of this, and that it's so readily available to me makes it almost laughable.

I wish I hadn't had Aventinus as my first Weizenbock, but either way I'm certainly getting some more. Regardless off what kind of beer is your favorite, a bottle of this is cheap enough to try, and even it wasn't, you should at least try this.

Vintage 2000.
Looks like clay-infused cola. Darkish brown and opague.
Nose is raisiny with notes of vanilla, rum, sherry, and cognac. But not in an alcoholc sense. Loads of cloves, and chocolate covered bananas.
Begins with an enveloping caramel sweetness. It makes stops at bananas and chocolate, then ventures towards spice. White pepper and clove are foremost, but futher attention provides nutmeg and ginger. The finish is full of black grape skin, covered in white chocolate, vanilla and nougat. Brown sugar, rum, and bourbon all make cameos, but this is never over-boozy nor oversweet. Actually, alcohol is phased out entirely, and merely carries suggestions of related flavors. Ends with a bath of grape, vanilla and herb. Good lord!
Medium bodied, with dashing carbonation. This screams for additional draughts. And lots of them.
I appear to fancy this more than the non-aged Aventinus. It's a glorious brew and well worth the inflated price. All things considered, I'll purchase the standard issues and age them myself....and hope they turn out just as well.

Damn!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

A - A billowing finger of thick vanilla-hued cream is suspended above a murky chocolaty-brown brew...thick and ominous as a NYC sewer (remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?) This looks like the muck that baby alligators slither through as they grow into subterranean monsters beneath the city. Head retention is disappointing, but expected due to the high ABV. Swirling whips up some thick creamy lace that slides back down into the small pillowy head.

S - Chocolate cake, tootsie rolls, prune juice, ripe plums, dates, and raisins. Damn that's complex! I'm smelling something new every time I stick my nose in the glass. Initially the aromas are dark fruit and sweet chocolate, then a citrus and tropical fruit freshness from the wheat really livens things up! Melon and fruity chewing gum (tropical fruit Bubba Yum) notes are there too.

T - Rich dark fruit and dried tropical fruits. Dates, raisins, and prunes make up the dark side of the beer (the Mr Hyde, if you will) and the dried apricots and tropical mango flavors bring out something sunny and entirely new (the nice friendly Dr. Jekyll). Outstanding balance and depth of flavor, with a hearty alcohol kick at the end. Wow.

M - Full bodied with very silky and understated carbonation. Some sugar is left on the palate, but is quickly bitch-slapped by a wall of booze that leaves the mouth slightly dry and warm. The finish goes on for days, with lingering dark fruit again...transitioning from dark-to light- to dark again at the finish.

D - Ridiculously good beer. One of the best for a high ABV and high malt content lover like me (I think my love of scotch has influenced my taste in beer...I like to feel a little heat after the swallow. I make fun of people who drink light, or (even worse) ultralight beer...I often share with them the estimated calorie content of a boozy malt bomb like this one....roughly 300-400 I guessing? No wonder German monks invented doppelbocks to get them through the Lenten fasting periods! It's liquid food!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the Doppelbock (not really a Weizebock to my tastebuds) that all others should be judged against. Quite simply, there is no other that comes close to Aventinus. A true gift from the gods. Schneider hit the jackpot with this one and it's hard for me to forsee it ever being beaten.

Yes it's that good! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

I could drink this along side Weinstephan VITUS and KORBINIAN for the rest of my days and die a happy man! The only 3 Weiz beers you ever need drink again!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle; dated 2008. The bottle comes in a paper wrapping covered with factoids about that year -- a fun little read. Pours the same beautiful dark red/brown as the non-aged Aventinus.
Smell: amazing what 6 years in a cave does to this beer. Gone is the big banana/ester/dark fruit smell that dominates the non-aged version. Now there are more malts, bread, but also a different fruity aroma more like a good wine.
Taste: Wow. Just the best German beer I've ever had. More like a doppelback than a wheat beer. Whereas the non-aged version of this reminds me of a deluxe hefe, this beer reminds more of, say, Ayinger Celebrator, but so much better and more complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth. No other word for it.
Overall, as noted, the most interesting and best German beer I've yet had.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

The local store has aged bottles of this from 2004-2007. I picked up one of each. I had the 2006 a few weeks ago. This review is for the 2004 bottle. I poured the bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a nice dark brown. Under a light it shows a reddish/orange hue around the edges. Head dissipated very quickly but maintains a lace around the rim.

S: Very Malty with a dark fruity nose to it with a hint of banana

T: The 2004 has a much maltier taste than the 2006 I recently enjoyed. I am going to attribute this mostly to the fact that there is very little carbonation at this point. The lack of carbonation seems to really bring out the caramel in the malt.

M: Very little carbonation at this point in its life. This is both a blessing and a curse. While i believe the mouthfeel suffers because it becomes extremely smooth almost to the point where it is syrupy... However, it does bring out other aspects of the flavor (the malt) that I never have picked up in this oft-enjoyed beer.

O: Definitely a great beer. One of the best Weizens around. Very (dangerously) drinkable at upwards of 8%. However, I would say that the 2006 definitely is a better vintage to be enjoyed at this point in time (2012).

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased chilled from Whole Foods in the Fair Oaks/Chantilly area. My wife absconded with the first few sips of this beauty before I had the chance to ask her if she wanted any. Her response: "This is a work of art." After prying the glass from her hands I have to agree.

A - Beautiful mahogany with a creamy cap about an inch thick that lingers; no lacing.

S - Oak, almond, raisins, toffee.

T - World class; the finest of this style I've had since visiting Sachsenhausen (Frankfurt) where we drank this type of beer from those glass boots. Complex, dark fruit (e.g., dates); "oral sex."

M - Sort of creamy but vibrant enough that the malt whispers to you; fabulous.

D - Given the ABV, it's probably unwise to drink too much of this. Otherwise I'd like to be buried with some.

Tasted On: 08-31-2011
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 500 ml brown bottle
Glassware: Weizen glass
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Color is dark brown, with a hazy clarity from the yeast. Lots of bubbles are seen in the glass. The head is composed of tight bubbles, pillowy, and 4 fingers high. Retention is good.

Complex aromas start with a huge malty nose of sweet breads, bananas, cloves, spices, and dark fruits. Also wheat grains and a fruity bubble gum smell from the yeast. Very nice

The taste follows the aromas, with rich, big bready malts and the associated caramel and chocolate flavors. Also present are spices and flavors of dark fruits such as raisins and ripened bananas. Nice alcohol warming effects.

Mouthfeel is creamy and medium bodied. Carbonation is high. Finishes with big and sweet malts. Very hearty

Overall an epic beer; a definite treat!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a light chestnut color with a big foamy tan head and lots of carbonation. Champagne would be proud to have some of these lines of finely beaded bubbles.
Big sweet and toasty malt smells. Tropical fruit, mainly banana, and an almost bubblegum hint. A bit of brown sugar and hints of clove and dark rum.
Mmmm good! Sweet toasted bready malt flavor. Lots of rum soaked, sugared fruit, spices and a little nuttiness as well. Chocolate, clove and cola in the finish. Outstanding!
Medium to full bodied with a rich, full, creamy mouthfeel that was lightened nicely by the carbonation.
The alcohol made its presence known as the beer warmed, but in a complementary way. This along with the carbonation induced light mouthfeel leads to great drinkability. But beware, it'll sneak up on you.

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Well, here I am stuck in my apartment on a Friday so I can pack up for a move. I made sure to buy a new beer to try to give myself a moment of procrastination zen. Enter Aventinus.

I do not have the crazy Aventinus glass, but I do have a tall Weizen glass that has a bigger than normal bubble at the top. Close enough, right? Right. So I poured the beer and it produced about an inch of creamy, slightly tan head that subsided to a centimeter or so thick for the rest of the tasting. The color is an attractive deep reddish brown, like a dark cherry oak wood floor. There is some cloudiness that prevents much light from getting through.

The smell is really enjoyable. It reminds me of some of the stouts I have had recently. It has a nice sweet oak smell. Hints of nut and roast mixed in with fruit (grape/raisins). Some very slight hints of spearmint the further I got down the glass. I was so intoxicated by the smell that I almost forgot to drink some. Anyway, the taste is very parallel to the nut and grape smell. It has a unique roasty oak taste backed by subtle sweetness. This is an exceptionally crafted and balanced beer.

The body of the beer is light to maybe medium light. There is a moderate amount of carbonation which leads to a crisp bite and a slightly dry finish.

Overall, I am extremely pleased I bought this beer. It was kind of like a blind date, because I knew nothing about the beer before purchasing it and I was nervous about the possibility of choosing a bad beer on a otherwise crappy night. Put this on my list of favorite beers. Check! Well, back to packing my junk up for now. Cheers!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

Holy schlamoly batman What a fantastic brew. I see that this beer is well reviewed but I have never seen it in North Texas so I had Ungespundet send me a bottle staight from Bavaria. Pours out of the bottle a cloudy dark brew with a good head that faded to a small one fast. The smell was absolutly fantastic. Malt, fruit , spice all rolled into one. I never had a better tasting beer. All the flavors are so well balanced. Every sip this beer gets better and better. It goes without saying this beer is the worlds best weizenbock but it may just be the worlds best beer. I like it so much I am going to visit the brewery next week.