Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,057 | Reviews: 2,068
3.08/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a reddish brown color. Very odd fizzy head that recedes into nothing. Clove dominates in the smell, as well as something else that I don't like at all. Taste is of cloves and some bananas, with a bit of chocolate. There's almost a burning aftertaste that's rather unpleasent.

Overall, I don't really care for this brew. Not only is it darn expensive ($4 bucks a bottle, almost the same as a Rogue bomber), but it just doesn't do anything for me. I may try it again in a year or so, once my tastebuds have grown.

3.1/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a distinct carmel color. Significant head, but doesnt look carbonated in the body ... at least to the degree of head.

Smells like a malty bock. Sweet, doppel, citrus? Did I mention malt? Dont really smell the abv, though there is something crisp about the smell. Is crisp a smell?

Smells much more malty than the taste. Initial is a bit uninspiring. Was expecting something more pungent considering the envigorating smell. Ending is nice. A bit malty, but nothing that catches me. Maybe Im missing something. Its a bock, yes. I guess I dont understand the style difference from other bocks.

A bit smooth, better than the carbonation looks. Like most other bocks.

I gotta go average here. This beer hasnt done much to awe me. Its a decent beer, but Im not getting the part thats going to being me back to it unless Im in Germany ;)

3.1/5  rDev -28.4%

On first sip, this beer grabbed me. I liked it right away but after a few sips the sweetness got to me. It is very thick and syrupy and all I could think of was Dr. Pepper. Once the thought of Dr. Pepper was in my head thats all I could taste and I could barely finish it. I would not get this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle 2004

Smells foral, sweet and medicinal with hints of figs and raisins. Heavy dose of cloves and wheat. Lots of alcohol definatly a sipping beer. Taste bites the tongue and warms the inside, a great winter warmer. Definatly a good beer but its drinkability isn't there for me just a little to strong.

3.1/5  rDev -28.4%

Dark brown color with a nice head, but nearly no lacing left on the glass as you drink.
Aroma of cloves and light malt..tons of spice.
This one needs to tone down the cloves a bit. I'm not a lover of the Weissbeer style, so maybe that's why I couldn't get past the fruity, spicy flavor of this beer.
I have to give this beer some credit. It was smooth and had a decent mouthfeel to it, with some nice malt flavor.
Doesn't quite live up to it's reputation as far as I'm concerned.

3.11/5  rDev -28.2%

A - pours a dark chestnut color with suprisingly white foam

S - a bit of sweet malt, some banana and citrus, but not alot of aroma overall

T - sweet malt, caramel, honey, wheatiness, bananas and cloves

M/D - a bit too sweet for my tastes, malty but medium bodied and light mouthfeel

3.12/5  rDev -27.9%

Undecipherable date code, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Surprisingly clear, brilliantly burnt brown colored, with a light tan colored huge, dense head that dissipated with soda like fizzing into a rather modest one and, surprisingly, didn't leave any lacing. At first I thought that this was going to be a great looking beer, but as it turned out, not quite.

Aroma is, simply put, magnificent: very sweet with dark caramely sweetness and fruity banana sweetness. It does remind of a doppelbock and a hefeweizen at the same time and has all the toasty-caramel notes with the banana-clove-tart hints. Brilliant.

Although not as strong as aroma, the taste is equally complex: dominated by banana-caramel flavor, with slightly tannic and slightly bitter finish. Very good until the finish that is excruciatingly sweet and cloying, making it hard to take another sip. Some alcohol helps, but still, the overly sweet aftertaste kills almost all the pleasure derived from drinking this one.

Thin body, but still somehow manages to stay around on the palate as if I drank LME. I don't get it!

If you chugged it you won't know but as it is, very tough to drink.

3.13/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance: a nice dark ruddy hue with a huge head that settles into a thin foam.

Smell: Overall, a resonating sourness reminiscent of yogurt or malted milk. Higher notes of caramel, sweetbreads, toffee, and carob.

Taste: Definitely strong yeasts. Low carbonation and excessively smooth, like most weissbiers. A biscuity, bready taste; like drinking a piece of good pumpernickel bread. Alcohols come out near the middle. Warming effect near the end.

Overall: Easy to go down, but a little bit yeasty for my taste.

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

Huge head, with a cloudy red amber look to it.
Malty, fruity in the nose.
You can definitely feel the carbination that leaves your tongue tingly.
The taste of chocalate,spices, coffee ,and what seems to be bananas, that for me left a unpleasant after taste. You can taste
the sweetness of the fruits, and sense the high alcohol content.
Still a good experience, but not sure how many more I'll have of this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

This beer was interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. It poured a nice orange color and had a vigorous foamy head. The aroma was very fruity with no hops present. The beer had a sweet maltiness with a pronounced apple flavor. The hops were very subdued and provided barely enough bitterness to balance out the malt. The body and mouthfeel was relatively light considering the alcohol content. The carbonation was very high - almost like that of a witbier. A decent beer, but not outstanding in my opinion.

3.19/5  rDev -26.3%

I hate to do this. BUT SOUR beers shouldn't be considered a beer. MAN these beers run right through me LOL!!! I can never put a sour beer in the top 250 beer list. I think the best part of this beer is the label. No offense but I hate sour beers. Doesn't work for me. Sorry..This isn't an attempted to lower the rating but I have to give my rating good or bad.

3.24/5  rDev -25.2%

The pour was on the dark side and producing a nice golden head. I first picked up hints of cloves, cardamom, orange and some cinnamon

I wasnt sure what to expect based on the aroma. The taste was malty and bit heavy. It was a bit on the thin side and did not leave any distinctive aftertaste.

This may just not be the type of beer that really suits me.

Nothing to complain about or negative comments, just something that was a good drink but also something I would not consider having more than 1 glass.

3.24/5  rDev -25.2%

A - This is how a beer should look. A clear ruby brown fluid with some carbonation bubbles going to surface. On the surface the bubbles meet a decent off-white head, which slowly retract to a creamy layer.

S - A malt syrup scent mixed with a strong light sour prickly yeast smell with a sweet touch.

T - What the hell is this! I have never ever tasted something like this before. This is different. All kind of flavors are coming directly after each-other, similar like a jawbreaker. In the beginning the beer is the same as the smell gave away and than after swallowing comes a sour caramel twist.

M - A highly carbonated beer and a bitter sour finish, not something I fancy.

O - Something different,but not my taste.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Strong weizen beer, good taste

3.29/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a brown color with a slight ruby red tint to it. It has a thick light tan head that fades very slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a bubblegum like aroma. It also smells slightly spicy. Some caramel malt aroma is also present. It has a very subtle yeasty aroma also.

From the aroma, I was worried about what this beer would taste like. However, I was wrong. It tastes good. It is spicy, with some yeasty flavor.It has a caramel malty sweet flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. It is decently carbonated for the style.

I doubt this beer would kae the best session beer. It is a little high in alcohol. Also, although the flavor is decent, it might be a bit much after a few.

Overall: I didnt particularly like this one. I dont know what is was, but I just didnt like it. Sorry.

3.29/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Nice dark weizen sehr gut

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a cola brown with a thick, rich foamy head. Great aroma of cloves, spices, and a slight hint of bananas. Nice clove taste and bubblegum...Someone was dead-on when they said they tasted Marmite in it. Spicey finish. Drinkablity is average. I would rather drink a ton of lighter-bodied hefe's than something like this.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured, sacriligiously, into a highball class.

A- Brown with a frothy white cap.

A- Chsitmas spice, banana peel, a touch of sour. Some bready malt becomes apparent as the beer warms.

T- A sour tinge is immediately apparant, then the taste of carmel-covered banana, lots of breadiness, and a delicate chocolate note. Really, the spice and the sour tinge dominate.
It's unimaginable that this beer is 8% alc. It's wet and leaves no burn. Easy drinking, but in that light I'd really rather a fresh Hefeweizen.

M- The wheat leaves a frothy light body that glides over the palate before floating away. It's easy drinking... except for the taste.

0- Wheat beers have the shortest of shelflives after hor-forward beers, like IPA's. So I'm hoping, although this one exceeds 8%ABV, that this example sits post its prime. It just fails to impress me. The flavor is there, but nothing exceptional pops out.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: hazy translucent amber in the light; dense, full, lasting off-white head, eventually fades to a centimeter of cover; little to no lacing
S: yeast/wheat, apple, savory
T: smokey/sour/savory/apple
M: medium-bodied, coating, dry
O: Dissapointing off flavor and scent. Many people get far more out of this beer, but this is in a class of bad-savory-tasting beers in a class I otherwise prefer. It's bizarre--I'd very much like to hear from someone who's had this or other similar beers and can clarify whether I keep somehow getting bad bottles or whether I'm especially sensitive to this flavor.

500mL / Weizen Glass

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: A ruby-bruin color with a nice eggshell white head that provides nice lacing

Smell: Interesting. I get the top-fermented estery banana of a Belgian ale along with a yeasty slice of white bread.

Taste: This beer calls itself a top-fermented dopplebock ale. Thats what you get in the taste. There is a fruitiness belying a dopplebock. This is, I imagine, indicative of a weizenbock, but it is an unusual blend given the German origins of this beer. Additionally, I found that it left a sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It is a little slick, but the carbonation is pleasant.

Drinkability: Not really a fan. I found the pint bottle more than enough.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

medium cola brown with a touch of red. an inch of loud bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

cloves, bananas and a cola sweetness in the aroma.

bananas and a malty sweetness in the taste. heavy mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. leaves the taste of cloves in the aftertaste, but the finish is fairly empty. second glass tastes better than the first with the sediment adding some complexity. straightforward and drinkable, but nothing stellar.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

3.31/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Cloudy caramel colored - pretty opaque. Nice 2-finger off-white head. Good retention and decent lacing.

S: Caramel, raisins, berries, lots of fruitiness. Very dessert-like smell.

T: Alcohol and raisins are dominant, followed by more alcohol after swallowing. There is a fermented fruit sweetness behind all the flavors. It's alright, but not great.

M: Medium-bodied and perfectly carbonated. Sweetness makes the mouth feel unclean though - a bit like sugary soda does.

D: Drinkable, but too cloying to enjoy in large amounts. Probably won't drink again.

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

This was a disapointment. It pours reddish orange with a eggshell head. Some lacing. The malts were just too cloying. This offset a little bit by cloves, but not enough. It did serve as a deecent winter warmer, but the sweetness really cut down on drinkability. I can see the love for this beer, but I just wasn't feeling it.