Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

The new style (TAP 6) bottle.

Poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

A deep off-white head sat on top of a moody reddy/browny coloured body, lots going on as bubbles rise through the beer to replenish the head.

Sweet malty/yeasty/banana/vanilla smells.

The taste is a toxic, vibrant, fizzy mix of the aforementioned aromas, a little too sweet in my opinion with the vanilla and banana flavours coming through the most. Add a large hunk of treacle toffee into the taste arena and you've got the right amount of sweetness I found.

The alcohol is well hidden and only arrives as you finish the beer, warming the mouth nicely. I expected more from this well respected and thought of beer, too sweet for me.

BlackHaddock, Apr 05, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -35.5%

This is the 2002 brewery-aged version. Apparently Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Bucs won the Super Bowl, and the Euro was adopted in this fine year. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Two fingers of quick-dissolving foam, over top of an attractive transparent orange-brown liquid with lots of bubbles and suspended sediment. No lace, cap, collar, nada - looks like sparkling juice or something.

S - Very vinous, but also some date, caramel, and figgy malt character. There's a touch of booziness - kind of in a rum-soaked banana way - and maybe some spice as well. It's a little reminiscent of some Kuhnhenn beers (Winter Wonder, Fourth Dementia), but not as good.

T - Yikes! Taste is incredibly bland - there's a little bit of oxidized wet cardboard character, and only the faintest bit of sweet dark fruit malt. If I had aged this on my own and it had gone downhill like this I wouldn't bother reviewing it, but because Schneider actually packages these vintages and markets them as such I have no choice but to be hard on this brew.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, kind of watery. Not offensive, but not particularly interesting either.

D - If I wanted to get drunk I could finish this, as it's actually quite bland. However, since I actually want beer that tastes good, or at least tastes like SOMETHING, my drain will be savoring this brew instead.

I will review a fresh bottle at some point in the future, but for the time being people need to be warned that the "vintage" Aventinus is pretty bad.

MasterSki, Dec 02, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

0,51 l bottle poured into a pilsner glass...

A- chocolate brown with a nice full tan head that settles into a generous lace.

S- caramel and roasted barley. there is also that"I drank too much at a German bier gaarten" smell to it.

T- yep, the bier gaarten thing again. This beer is plenty sweet with caramel and brown sugar leading the way. It packs plenty of wallop at 8.2% ABV, but (for me) it drinks like a strong barley wine.

MF- sweet that finishes wet. No too impressive for me, but this is not how I like my beer. .

O- if you like sweet German beers with lots-O-kick, this is your beer. This is not what I like in a beer. On my first trip to Germany my first beer was of a similar style, which left me wondering what all the "German bier" fuss was about.

jjkatter, Jan 16, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -33.2%

16.9 oz. Bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Dark hazy brown. Surprisingly, the thin, coarse head acted just like the head on a soda. Rose up thin and fizzed away immediately. Very heavy bead.

Smell: Green apples and chocolate were the main components. Also some light banana, lemon zest, and a good dollup of grainy wheat. Became somewhat sour on the nose after a short period of time.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin in the mouth. A little chewy, but also a little chalky. Sometimes, it had an extrememly rough bite in the back of the throat.

Taste: Heavy clove, banana, and tart fruit. Seemed very sour and not really in a good way. Like extremely over-the-top green apple, but with a chemical bite. Powdered cocoa and light wheat rounded out the flavors with some hints of yeast and a continuation of the annoying sour flavor on the finish.

I was pretty disappointed with this one. Between the almost non-existent head and the weird sour flavor, I almost thought that I had on off bottle and didn't review it. But enough of the other flavors seemed on point that I think it is supposed to taste like this.

0 for 2 with Schneider.

Quaffer, Apr 20, 2004
2.91/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to kjyost for this one.

Poured from a 500ml bottle, bottled in 2004. Special aged release by the brewery.

Pours a light brown body the color of light cola; head starts thick but disappears in the blink of an eye. Dark plums and molasses are in the aroma. Flavor is a shell of what it could be but there are glimpses of what i know this beer is. Little carbonation and a bit of oxidation finish things off. Nice marketing ploy by the brewery but this should not be aged so long IMO.

papat444, Jul 05, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearence: Pours a deep mohogany with a thin, quickly dissapating off-white head. Perfect clarity, loads of carbonation.

Smell: The smell is strong and spicy, with strong alcohol notes. The wheat is noticable but not upfront.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Ouch. Too sweet. The flavors that are present (nuttyness, roasted malts, cloves) are overrun and overpowered by the incredibly malty sweetness. Too much for me, it's killing me. The mouthfeel is chewy and thick.

Drinkability and Overall: It's an ok brew just not quite my cup of tea. Too sweet, too overpowering, no balance, and definitly no focus. I've not had too many Weizenbocks, but I know enough about them to realise there is much more a Weizenbock can be than this. Not bad.

santoslhalper, Jul 21, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -32.5%

A: Pours a great, huge head that starts to disipate pretty quickly in my 22 oz. Wiezen Glass. It is a solid brown, and when held up to light shows amber, copper and orange. The head is just of white and looks rather creamy on top with bubbles of varying size underneath. There is decent active carbonation, but not too much.

S: Smells super wheaty, and it's confusing my brain being so brown and smelling like that. I also get a malty sweetness and a sort of funk I usually associate with Belgians. There is also a candi sweetness, perhaps that's what it is, and it's just confusing me. The more I smell it, the more I get just the candi sugar.

T: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I just can't seem to get into it though. Perhaps it's a bad bottle? The taste is mildly malty sweet, but tastes more like candi sugar to me than real malt. And the wheat is just a whisp at the end, more of an after taste. I get no hops whatsoever.

M: Ok, very plain. Thin but heavy, mild or little carbonation.

D: I could see where I certain set of people would like this. Must be a bad bottle?

mdwalsh, Sep 01, 2009

ejw127, Dec 03, 2011

zaraspook, Jul 02, 2014

JDM44, Mar 10, 2014

twincano, Jan 19, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

pours an unfiltered reddish brown with three fingers of creamy head that dissipated but never entirely left.

smell is sweet molasses malts with raspberry and something that reminds me of bubble gum.

taste is a bit sweet and malty and very smooth with subtle fruit. unfortunately there are undertones of bubble gum flavor for me that is just not good and it got worse as the beer went on.

mouth is medium bodied with low carbonation.

i was shocked when I opened up the BA page and saw the reviews for this one. I have never been this far below the average but I just did not like this beer at all.

mryuk, Apr 02, 2011