Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,039 | Hads: 4,090
3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a distinct carmel color. Significant head, but doesnt look carbonated in the body ... at least to the degree of head.

Smells like a malty bock. Sweet, doppel, citrus? Did I mention malt? Dont really smell the abv, though there is something crisp about the smell. Is crisp a smell?

Smells much more malty than the taste. Initial is a bit uninspiring. Was expecting something more pungent considering the envigorating smell. Ending is nice. A bit malty, but nothing that catches me. Maybe Im missing something. Its a bock, yes. I guess I dont understand the style difference from other bocks.

A bit smooth, better than the carbonation looks. Like most other bocks.

I gotta go average here. This beer hasnt done much to awe me. Its a decent beer, but Im not getting the part thats going to being me back to it unless Im in Germany ;) (840 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

On first sip, this beer grabbed me. I liked it right away but after a few sips the sweetness got to me. It is very thick and syrupy and all I could think of was Dr. Pepper. Once the thought of Dr. Pepper was in my head thats all I could taste and I could barely finish it. I would not get this one again. (304 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle 2004

Smells foral, sweet and medicinal with hints of figs and raisins. Heavy dose of cloves and wheat. Lots of alcohol definatly a sipping beer. Taste bites the tongue and warms the inside, a great winter warmer. Definatly a good beer but its drinkability isn't there for me just a little to strong. (315 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%

Dark brown color with a nice head, but nearly no lacing left on the glass as you drink.
Aroma of cloves and light malt..tons of spice.
This one needs to tone down the cloves a bit. I'm not a lover of the Weissbeer style, so maybe that's why I couldn't get past the fruity, spicy flavor of this beer.
I have to give this beer some credit. It was smooth and had a decent mouthfeel to it, with some nice malt flavor.
Doesn't quite live up to it's reputation as far as I'm concerned. (483 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -27.8%

A - pours a dark chestnut color with suprisingly white foam

S - a bit of sweet malt, some banana and citrus, but not alot of aroma overall

T - sweet malt, caramel, honey, wheatiness, bananas and cloves

M/D - a bit too sweet for my tastes, malty but medium bodied and light mouthfeel (285 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -27.6%

Undecipherable date code, poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Surprisingly clear, brilliantly burnt brown colored, with a light tan colored huge, dense head that dissipated with soda like fizzing into a rather modest one and, surprisingly, didn't leave any lacing. At first I thought that this was going to be a great looking beer, but as it turned out, not quite.

Aroma is, simply put, magnificent: very sweet with dark caramely sweetness and fruity banana sweetness. It does remind of a doppelbock and a hefeweizen at the same time and has all the toasty-caramel notes with the banana-clove-tart hints. Brilliant.

Although not as strong as aroma, the taste is equally complex: dominated by banana-caramel flavor, with slightly tannic and slightly bitter finish. Very good until the finish that is excruciatingly sweet and cloying, making it hard to take another sip. Some alcohol helps, but still, the overly sweet aftertaste kills almost all the pleasure derived from drinking this one.

Thin body, but still somehow manages to stay around on the palate as if I drank LME. I don't get it!

If you chugged it you won't know but as it is, very tough to drink. (1,165 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance: a nice dark ruddy hue with a huge head that settles into a thin foam.

Smell: Overall, a resonating sourness reminiscent of yogurt or malted milk. Higher notes of caramel, sweetbreads, toffee, and carob.

Taste: Definitely strong yeasts. Low carbonation and excessively smooth, like most weissbiers. A biscuity, bready taste; like drinking a piece of good pumpernickel bread. Alcohols come out near the middle. Warming effect near the end.

Overall: Easy to go down, but a little bit yeasty for my taste. (519 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Huge head, with a cloudy red amber look to it.
Malty, fruity in the nose.
You can definitely feel the carbination that leaves your tongue tingly.
The taste of chocalate,spices, coffee ,and what seems to be bananas, that for me left a unpleasant after taste. You can taste
the sweetness of the fruits, and sense the high alcohol content.
Still a good experience, but not sure how many more I'll have of this beer. (417 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

This beer was interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. It poured a nice orange color and had a vigorous foamy head. The aroma was very fruity with no hops present. The beer had a sweet maltiness with a pronounced apple flavor. The hops were very subdued and provided barely enough bitterness to balance out the malt. The body and mouthfeel was relatively light considering the alcohol content. The carbonation was very high - almost like that of a witbier. A decent beer, but not outstanding in my opinion. (513 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.8%

The pour was on the dark side and producing a nice golden head. I first picked up hints of cloves, cardamom, orange and some cinnamon

I wasnt sure what to expect based on the aroma. The taste was malty and bit heavy. It was a bit on the thin side and did not leave any distinctive aftertaste.

This may just not be the type of beer that really suits me.

Nothing to complain about or negative comments, just something that was a good drink but also something I would not consider having more than 1 glass. (506 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -24.8%

A - This is how a beer should look. A clear ruby brown fluid with some carbonation bubbles going to surface. On the surface the bubbles meet a decent off-white head, which slowly retract to a creamy layer.

S - A malt syrup scent mixed with a strong light sour prickly yeast smell with a sweet touch.

T - What the hell is this! I have never ever tasted something like this before. This is different. All kind of flavors are coming directly after each-other, similar like a jawbreaker. In the beginning the beer is the same as the smell gave away and than after swallowing comes a sour caramel twist.

M - A highly carbonated beer and a bitter sour finish, not something I fancy.

O - Something different,but not my taste. (722 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a brown color with a slight ruby red tint to it. It has a thick light tan head that fades very slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a bubblegum like aroma. It also smells slightly spicy. Some caramel malt aroma is also present. It has a very subtle yeasty aroma also.

From the aroma, I was worried about what this beer would taste like. However, I was wrong. It tastes good. It is spicy, with some yeasty flavor.It has a caramel malty sweet flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. It is decently carbonated for the style.

I doubt this beer would kae the best session beer. It is a little high in alcohol. Also, although the flavor is decent, it might be a bit much after a few.

Overall: I didnt particularly like this one. I dont know what is was, but I just didnt like it. Sorry. (856 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a cola brown with a thick, rich foamy head. Great aroma of cloves, spices, and a slight hint of bananas. Nice clove taste and bubblegum...Someone was dead-on when they said they tasted Marmite in it. Spicey finish. Drinkablity is average. I would rather drink a ton of lighter-bodied hefe's than something like this. (322 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured, sacriligiously, into a highball class.

A- Brown with a frothy white cap.

A- Chsitmas spice, banana peel, a touch of sour. Some bready malt becomes apparent as the beer warms.

T- A sour tinge is immediately apparant, then the taste of carmel-covered banana, lots of breadiness, and a delicate chocolate note. Really, the spice and the sour tinge dominate.
It's unimaginable that this beer is 8% alc. It's wet and leaves no burn. Easy drinking, but in that light I'd really rather a fresh Hefeweizen.

M- The wheat leaves a frothy light body that glides over the palate before floating away. It's easy drinking... except for the taste.

0- Wheat beers have the shortest of shelflives after hor-forward beers, like IPA's. So I'm hoping, although this one exceeds 8%ABV, that this example sits post its prime. It just fails to impress me. The flavor is there, but nothing exceptional pops out. (900 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: hazy translucent amber in the light; dense, full, lasting off-white head, eventually fades to a centimeter of cover; little to no lacing
S: yeast/wheat, apple, savory
T: smokey/sour/savory/apple
M: medium-bodied, coating, dry
O: Dissapointing off flavor and scent. Many people get far more out of this beer, but this is in a class of bad-savory-tasting beers in a class I otherwise prefer. It's bizarre--I'd very much like to hear from someone who's had this or other similar beers and can clarify whether I keep somehow getting bad bottles or whether I'm especially sensitive to this flavor.

500mL / Weizen Glass (617 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance: A ruby-bruin color with a nice eggshell white head that provides nice lacing

Smell: Interesting. I get the top-fermented estery banana of a Belgian ale along with a yeasty slice of white bread.

Taste: This beer calls itself a top-fermented dopplebock ale. Thats what you get in the taste. There is a fruitiness belying a dopplebock. This is, I imagine, indicative of a weizenbock, but it is an unusual blend given the German origins of this beer. Additionally, I found that it left a sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It is a little slick, but the carbonation is pleasant.

Drinkability: Not really a fan. I found the pint bottle more than enough. (656 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

medium cola brown with a touch of red. an inch of loud bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

cloves, bananas and a cola sweetness in the aroma.

bananas and a malty sweetness in the taste. heavy mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. leaves the taste of cloves in the aftertaste, but the finish is fairly empty. second glass tastes better than the first with the sediment adding some complexity. straightforward and drinkable, but nothing stellar. (516 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable. (442 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Cloudy caramel colored - pretty opaque. Nice 2-finger off-white head. Good retention and decent lacing.

S: Caramel, raisins, berries, lots of fruitiness. Very dessert-like smell.

T: Alcohol and raisins are dominant, followed by more alcohol after swallowing. There is a fermented fruit sweetness behind all the flavors. It's alright, but not great.

M: Medium-bodied and perfectly carbonated. Sweetness makes the mouth feel unclean though - a bit like sugary soda does.

D: Drinkable, but too cloying to enjoy in large amounts. Probably won't drink again. (560 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle. (331 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%

This was a disapointment. It pours reddish orange with a eggshell head. Some lacing. The malts were just too cloying. This offset a little bit by cloves, but not enough. It did serve as a deecent winter warmer, but the sweetness really cut down on drinkability. I can see the love for this beer, but I just wasn't feeling it. (325 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%

Had a pour of this at Jacob Wirth's in Boston my last time out. The tap ran dry the last time I was here, so I jumped on it this time. $9 for a drop into the official half liter glass. My lunch in comparison, was only $7.50. :o

Big frothy head spilling all over the bar, but it settles just on the line. Nice recovery. Served a little cold & fidgety, it tossed around for a little while & settled on just being plain old brown & cloudy.

Big yeasty caramel nose, with very pungent clove & bread crust right in the center of things. Almost like someone making bread pudding for the first time. :P Big splash of alcohol concentrating at the end.

Taste was a little disappointing. Very, very bready, lazy & abusive banana/clove esters & a karate throat chop full of alcohol. Positives were the peppery spiciness, some caramel, & the pruny & acidic end that gets soaked up on a toasted finish.

Flour-like texture(though strong carbonation), but really too messy with the alcohol. I enjoyed the taste, but didn't really enjoy swallowing it.

Nine dollars can buy me a really mean LI iced tea.
Just saying. :D (1,106 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22.7%

Gorgeous, rich mahogany color. Slight cloudiness, as yeast was swirled and poured into the class. Huge rocky beige head slooooooowly settles to the thinnest cap of foam.

Nose is nicely clovey, with a complex bready/malty base. Some fruitiness as well.

Goes a bit wrong in the mouth. The clove is there, although a bit strong, but the sweet malt is an almost over-whelming presence. Not enough bitterness to balance the too sweet palate, and the alcohol is apparent on the finish - always a turn-off for me. Perhaps an off-bottle, but I couldn't finish it. Based on reputation, I'd be willing to give it another shot, but this was disappointing. (650 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured into my hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours an opaque, rasberry brown with orange & sienna highlights throughout. Head is bubbly, soapy, and mocha colored. Builds up a decent amount but drops down quickly. Effervescence upon closer inspection.

S- Aroma's are actually very faint. Hard to pick up on anything. Do detect a little bit of a malty/fruity combination. Some yeast and clove, but very faint.

T- Flavors are quite intresting. Its like a dopplebock combined with a hefeweizen, which I didn't pick up on from other weizenbocks. Starts out as a hefeweizen with the light, yeast and clove taste. Afterwards the caramel malts roll in with somewhat of a rye flavor. A little bready. No hint of the alcohol.

M- Light to medium bodied. Goes down very easy. Tiniest bit drying. Felt very similar to drinking other weizenbocks, is that a normal mouthfeel?

D- Nothing overly special about this beer. Best aspect may be how well the alcohol is hidden, which does contribute to some good drinkability. Smooth enough to go down easy, would not drink too many of these as you might end up in trouble. But you couldn't tell from any of this beers traits that it was 8.2%. (1,168 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

This one was so highly touted I had to give it a try.

Pours out an interesting murky brown color that's somewhere between dark iced tea and light cola. Big tan head that was impressively packed made me excited for my first sip.

Smells pretty wheaty, with some overtones of clove, chocolate, alcohol, banana, and even a bit of fresh pear.

Taste is a little bump in the road for me. It has an interesting mix of chocolate, caramel, and some clove and banana flavors I'd kind of expect from the style. My only problem, and I know it's supposed to be strong, is that I feel the alcohol is a bit over-the-top in the flavor. There's a pleasant clove element to the finish, but it's almost completely overpowered by the alcohol. It seemed a little more assertive than the 8% would warrant. Raisiny notes are there and fairly enticing, though.

Overall, I knid of went back and forth on this beer. It looked and smelled great, but then I hated the taste. As it warmed, I started to like it more and more, but it's definitely not one of my new favorites. (1,059 characters)