Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,048 | Hads: 4,122
3.35/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I see this beer all the time at Total Wine, but never knew the history behind it. There is one guy that RAVES about this beer, calling it, "the best beer ever". Not sure it is the best beer in the world, but I am excited to try it. I like the label, too… it's purple. I bet Sheryl likes that. It's her favorite color. I also really like the name. Look for the next few bottles to be from the other side of the aisle. You need to visit a Total Wine to know what I mean, but at Total Wine, the beers from the United States are on one side, and then all other countries on the other. I will be spending more time on the other side for a while. Just to make things interesting!

In the Glass: After hearing Sheryl explain it, I am not sure I can do this beer justice. She basically said someone took a "dump" in the glass. Her words, not mine. I wouldn't say that, but the beer is quite dark. It also has a large head that just sits there for 5 minutes. Granted, I did a hard pour, but the head was impressive. The lace isn't very impressive considering the head, but I am not too worried about that.

It says on the bottle that this is "Germany's original wheat-doppelbock ale". Not a typical style for us, so let's dig in.

Nose: This smells like a spicy wheat beer. The aroma isn't all that impressive. I am impressed with the ABV on this one. 8.2 for a beer that is only $3.99 a bottle is a pretty good deal. I am also seeing, "TAP 6" on the label. It is on the label and on the neck of the bottle. I don't know what that means. Maybe I should Google it.

A second whiff has me smelling more dark fruits leaving with a very earthy finish. I hope it tastes better than it smells!

Flavor: The flavor is quite complex, and I am getting a lot of different flavors throughout. I am not sure where to start. At first I get typical wheat beer flavors; think Blue Moon. Then it mellows out as I swallow, and some subtle sweetness kicks in. Then plums take over. Maybe that is why the label is purple. The plums are really obvious for a few minutes, then a nice drying takes over. The finish only lasts for a few seconds, but it is a very enjoyable drink. Again, not blown away with the flavor profile here, but I am impressed with the complexity this bottle offers.

Mouthfeel: Considering the head on this, I expected more bubbles. The mouthfeel is quite nice, and slides down smooth. It is VERY easy to drink. There are some bubbles at the end of the drink, but nothing to write home about. On that drink I started to swish the beer around in my mouth a little. I plan on doing that for all beer reviews going forward so I can comment on my additional experience. When doing that here, the bubbles overwhelm the palate, but the plums really come through. If I didn't know any better, I would think they used plums in the brewing process on this one.

Aftertaste: The sweetness from the plums sticks around for a few minutes, and it slowly becomes dry. The finish doesn't last very long, but it is long enough to make me want another sip. I am drinking this right out of the fridge, and with this one, I am not sure it warming up will do much for the beer. The best part of this beer are those fruity flavors I am getting.

The guy that calls this beer, "the best beer ever" must not have a very refined palate. It's good, but it is by no means the best beer in the world. Actually, the best beer in the world, according to RateBeer, isn't even that good. Cool story, but quads are just not my style. They did a good job with this bottle, and I am going to look at where those plum flavors are coming from. Best part of this offering. Cheers! (3,644 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Pours a nice dark cloudy copper color with a big off-white head. It also has good lacing

S - Strong aroma of the sweet wheat which gives it a nice chocolate orange aroma.

T - Tart wheat flavor. Kind of lemony but with backgrounds of malty sweet. There is a strong alcohol aroma on the end of it.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink, if it wasnt for the tartness of it.

D - For its style I think it is very drinkable. Nice would be nice on cool summer nights. (474 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

pours a semi hazy dark brown which has very quickly dissappearing white head. leaves no lacing.

smell: very hidden malts with alot of alchohol. nothing else to say.

taste: complex malts mixing very well and masking the alchohol competely.

mouthfeel: kinda sticky, the beer is undercarbonated and kinda syrupy.

drinkability: kind of sessionable, very full flavored and affordable.

not alot to say about this one besides its just good. (438 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -22%

This poured a hazy dark mahogany with white head. It smelled like lemon and wild yeast, salt and vinegar, and no malt. It tasted like prune malt and sour wild yeast with lemon and salty hops. It was watery with lots of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall this was much more Belgian and less dark (lacking malt) than I expected. It was clean and drinkable, but didn't have a flavor that I particularly enjoy. It had decent body and hid the alcohol fairly well, and will hopefully become much more balanced with tasty malt character as it ages. (554 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -21.8%

Chilled bottle into glass.

A: Pours a translucent mahogany color with ruby and amber highlights when held to a lamp. The one-inch off-white head recedes over a few minutes into a donut around the glass. Substantial lacing when I take a swig, but nothing that sticks to the sides as I drink.

S: Dark fruit, spices, wheat, bubble gum, and banana.

T: Wow, a lot of bubble gum and banana up front. The two flavors segue into a dark fruit medley, mostly raisins and plums, that lay on the sweetness. The taste ends with a combination of wheat, cloves, and coriander. Tastes a lot like a dark Belgian ale, more than a bock.

M: Medium-bodied, with strong carbonation that gives it a spicy kick but detracts from the flavor a bit. The ABV has a very slight sting and singes the nose hairs on the exhale, but it is very manageable otherwise.

D: It feels almost like this beer isn't sure what it wants to be. Very heavy tastes, but a medium body and high carbonation. The flavors blend very well, but it's heavy enough on the tongue that a single one of these is enough to induce palate fatigue. I enjoyed the first 1/3 of this but was progressively less enthused on the rest. (1,176 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -21.8%

A very cloudy brown/dark amber beer. Has a small beige head that evaporates quickly. A lot of clove character up front in the aroma. With some nutty malt notes in the background. The taste is malty sweet at first with some dried fruit notes in the middle. You get a hint of clove on the finish. Followed by the warming alcohol note on the end. (343 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a deep, muddy golden brown, with a modest fizzy head that settles down to little more than a lacing.

Nose has some alcohol esthers and a scent of what I can only describe as burnt hops.

First sip is interesting, leading in with a quick hit of hops, mellowed out by a mild burnt malt taste and then the hops are back, mixing with the carbonation to form an interesting combination of dark caramel roasty malt and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is ok, with the carbonation being a bit too agressive against the burnt taste for my liking.

This is my first review of a Weizenbock, and I've found I am evidently not a fan of the style. While I can appreciate the complexity and craft of this brew, the taste ended up being unpalatable to me after about 2/3 of the bottle and I couldn't force myself to finish it.

If you like Weizenbocks, I have little reason to doubt you'll like or love this.

Wyll- (914 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer. (349 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either. (446 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -20.6%

Hazy brown.
Picked up a hint of blackberry as the bottled opened. Aroma of strong dark malt, almost a black soy bean note, clove, yeast...
Flavours include hints of chocolate, dried currants, hint of acetone, with a plummy aftertaste.
Chewy, heavy & spiritous, slightly hot.
I found this hard work to drink. Nice flavours, but I would like less of the effects like the heat & alcohol elements. (397 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

This brew has an insane amount of frothy light head.
Color is a chalky dark amber that lets no light through.
Smell is of very strong oak and yeast.
The taste is extremely rich. It has dark malts and fruity after thoughts. An interesting combo, and a nice sipper. (266 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

A: A foggy brown with virtually no head when poured.

S: The smell has hints of fruit but the aroma seems artificial.

T: It is good but not great. There is the taste of dates, citrus, and something herby that I cannot identify. The taste is very strong.

M: Slightly viscous and extremely carbonated.

O: Weizenbocks are not what I normally drink which is why I rated it lower than a Weizenbock drinker would have. It is worth trying if you want to try different beers. (470 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours deep brown with an excellent cream colored head. This brew smells of sweet fruits. The taste is also of sweet fruit, namely dried apricot and darker fruit. It is highly carbonated with an average viscosity. It is fairly drinkable however it just isnt my style, the taste really doesn't do it for me. (305 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20%

Pours a cloudy dark amber with a half finger off white head that melts to fine lacing.
Aroma is surprisingly belgium in nature with dark fruits and moderate alcohol.
Taste is initially cinnamon..cinnamon then dark fruits like aprocots and plums and follows with a slight wheat drying and alcohol burn.
Aftertaste of wheat and alcohol.
Mouthfeel is very substantial. (369 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20%

Poured with a nice off white head, deep amber color. Very nice looking beer. The smell was of banana, clove up front, alcohol towards the back end. Taste was pretty delicious, even though I am not a big fan of clove, estery tastes, this was a pleasant beer to have. It almost tasted of banana bread, with the banana, spices, and wheat and yeast combining to give it a bready feel. It has a nice body, a bit syrupy as it warms. Citrusy finish that stays in the mouth for a while. Overall I did enjoy this beer, perhaps the size of the bottle was too much, a 12 0z size might be more enjoyable. I would recommend this to any beer enthusiast, no matter what your style of preference. (680 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20%

This hazy, brown beer poured with one of the liveliest heads I've ever seen (though it then settled down and left only the slightest trace of lacing). A spicy, cinnamon aroma, along with a peculiar sweetness I associate with canned corn dominate the nose and taste. The relatively high alcohol content also contributes to the flavor; I definitely welcomed those esters for adding an additional dimension to the otherwise clobbering maltyness. To that end, I found that a few bites of dark chocolate brought out a crispness that I might have otherwise overlooked. Overall, a bit of a heavier brew than I usually care for, but definitely worth experiencing. (655 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

Served a pale and murky light brown with a large creamy tan head that persisted through the half-liter. Smells of overpowering sweet and fruity malts, particularly banana. Tastes strongly of tropical fruits up-front with a significant and persistent bitterness in the finish. Creamy smooth in the mouth.

A one-two punch of sweet and sour. Somewhat simplistic. Lacking in depth and disappointing overall. (407 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

I prefer Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock. In addition to tasting better, Celebrator also has that tassle-y thing attached to the neck of the bottle... CLASS (155 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Been reading so much about this beer in forum posts had to spring for the 4 bucks at bevmo to sample it myself.

Pours like it would be nice, Cola brown, cloudy, head that sticks with it. I remember Alexander the Grape.

Smells aggressive sweet darkness and dark fruits. Like if nerds made a side with dark fruit nerds.

Tastes ok. a little to sweet. but thin aftertaste. Like those dots you would eat off the paper roll. The dots were sweet but you'd always bite off some of the paper.

This beer overall is like the cola flavored Fizz candies. Carbonated, ethereal and should be dispensed at the candy shop, it will lick the malty lollipop. (645 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

I picked this one up with a bunch of Weissbier. I admit it was my fault for not reading the lable and I assumed it was going to be like the other but I was wrong. To be honest I didn't really enjoy this beer all that much the flavours were just to intense for me and I found that each drink of the glass was just to much information for my taste buds to process. Also I think the higher alcohol content may be why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Pour into a glass. Really interesting dark colour, found that it had a thicker feeling in the mouth but not creamy. I wouldn't buy again for a few years until I can train my self on Dopplebock. (635 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Purchased a 500ml bottle of this today with great anticipation, after seeing it so highly rated on the Best of BA. I like doppelbocks, but have never had a wheat doppelbock.

Poured it into a pilsner glass, and got a several inch tall head, which settled fairly quickly and left little lacing on the glass. It was a cloudy, medium amber color. Lots of champagne-like, tiny bubbles.

This smelled very much like a malty Belgian ale. Definite yeasty aromas with some sweet malt and banana aromas in the background. I wasn't expecting this much yeastiness.

The taste reminded me of a Belgian as well. Bubblegum, overripe bananas, yeast. I'm a little dissappointed in this. I was expecting it to be more like the doppelbocks I've had with rich maltiness, rather than like a Belgian ale. I wouldn't say it tastes bad, but it is not what I was looking for.

You can feel the carbonation all over the mouth, and it leaves a fairly dry palate in its wake. Not overly thick or chewy.

Overall, I'm disappointed in this beer, especially with its high ranking on the "Best of" list. It was rather expensive compared to other doppelbocks, but I don't think it was worth the extra $$. I probably won't buy this one again. (1,219 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: As brown as the bottle. A very nice, lofty head with tiny bubbles. very nice retention. Small amount of spotted lacing.

Nose: Dark fruit, carmel, with a tiny bit of clove.

Taste: Creamy and a tiny bit syrupy, very full bodied. Nuts, yeast, small chocolate notes. A faint hint of banana.

Notes: Just a very well crafter dopplebock! (348 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Served in a hefe glass, poured a yellowish dark brown with a large tan head. I like the yeast in a hefe, and it did its thing with the bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass.

The smell was classic hefe weizen: banana nut bread, with a touch of clove.

The taste also reminded me of a classic hefe weizen with a nice nuttiness from the yeast, apples and bananas, plus alcohol showing off. None of the caramelized malt character I was expecting from a bock beer, though. It became too sweet by the end, I really wanted some hops to come in and rescue my taste buds.

I'm glad I tried this, but I doubt I'll have it again. One never knows, do one? Just the thought of the sweetness makes me cringe. (710 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a cloudy brown, mostly opaque. Thick, foamy head. It has a mild wheat and vanilla smell to it.

Very intense taste. The wheat jumps out at first, but the banana and vanilla sit in the back of the throat. The aftertaste is too much, but I respect the uniqueness of this beer. (289 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance started off outstanding and finished below average. Extreme carbonation with a soapy like head that fizzed alot.Dark red color with bubbling carbonation.Strong ABV noticed with every sip. Watery and could use more body.No traces of lace left at all.Had a huge head even with a slow pour that lasted for a few minutes.Sweet malt taste with hints of raisins and molasses. I expected more. (397 characters)