Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
3.24/5  rDev -25.3%

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a cola brown with a thick, rich foamy head. Great aroma of cloves, spices, and a slight hint of bananas. Nice clove taste and bubblegum...Someone was dead-on when they said they tasted Marmite in it. Spicey finish. Drinkablity is average. I would rather drink a ton of lighter-bodied hefe's than something like this.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured, sacriligiously, into a highball class.

A- Brown with a frothy white cap.

A- Chsitmas spice, banana peel, a touch of sour. Some bready malt becomes apparent as the beer warms.

T- A sour tinge is immediately apparant, then the taste of carmel-covered banana, lots of breadiness, and a delicate chocolate note. Really, the spice and the sour tinge dominate.
It's unimaginable that this beer is 8% alc. It's wet and leaves no burn. Easy drinking, but in that light I'd really rather a fresh Hefeweizen.

M- The wheat leaves a frothy light body that glides over the palate before floating away. It's easy drinking... except for the taste.

0- Wheat beers have the shortest of shelflives after hor-forward beers, like IPA's. So I'm hoping, although this one exceeds 8%ABV, that this example sits post its prime. It just fails to impress me. The flavor is there, but nothing exceptional pops out.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: A ruby-bruin color with a nice eggshell white head that provides nice lacing

Smell: Interesting. I get the top-fermented estery banana of a Belgian ale along with a yeasty slice of white bread.

Taste: This beer calls itself a top-fermented dopplebock ale. Thats what you get in the taste. There is a fruitiness belying a dopplebock. This is, I imagine, indicative of a weizenbock, but it is an unusual blend given the German origins of this beer. Additionally, I found that it left a sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It is a little slick, but the carbonation is pleasant.

Drinkability: Not really a fan. I found the pint bottle more than enough.

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Gorgeous, rich mahogany color. Slight cloudiness, as yeast was swirled and poured into the class. Huge rocky beige head slooooooowly settles to the thinnest cap of foam.

Nose is nicely clovey, with a complex bready/malty base. Some fruitiness as well.

Goes a bit wrong in the mouth. The clove is there, although a bit strong, but the sweet malt is an almost over-whelming presence. Not enough bitterness to balance the too sweet palate, and the alcohol is apparent on the finish - always a turn-off for me. Perhaps an off-bottle, but I couldn't finish it. Based on reputation, I'd be willing to give it another shot, but this was disappointing.

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Cloudy caramel colored - pretty opaque. Nice 2-finger off-white head. Good retention and decent lacing.

S: Caramel, raisins, berries, lots of fruitiness. Very dessert-like smell.

T: Alcohol and raisins are dominant, followed by more alcohol after swallowing. There is a fermented fruit sweetness behind all the flavors. It's alright, but not great.

M: Medium-bodied and perfectly carbonated. Sweetness makes the mouth feel unclean though - a bit like sugary soda does.

D: Drinkable, but too cloying to enjoy in large amounts. Probably won't drink again.

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

medium cola brown with a touch of red. an inch of loud bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

cloves, bananas and a cola sweetness in the aroma.

bananas and a malty sweetness in the taste. heavy mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. leaves the taste of cloves in the aftertaste, but the finish is fairly empty. second glass tastes better than the first with the sediment adding some complexity. straightforward and drinkable, but nothing stellar.

3.29/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: hazy translucent amber in the light; dense, full, lasting off-white head, eventually fades to a centimeter of cover; little to no lacing
S: yeast/wheat, apple, savory
T: smokey/sour/savory/apple
M: medium-bodied, coating, dry
O: Dissapointing off flavor and scent. Many people get far more out of this beer, but this is in a class of bad-savory-tasting beers in a class I otherwise prefer. It's bizarre--I'd very much like to hear from someone who's had this or other similar beers and can clarify whether I keep somehow getting bad bottles or whether I'm especially sensitive to this flavor.

500mL / Weizen Glass

3.3/5  rDev -24%

This was a disapointment. It pours reddish orange with a eggshell head. Some lacing. The malts were just too cloying. This offset a little bit by cloves, but not enough. It did serve as a deecent winter warmer, but the sweetness really cut down on drinkability. I can see the love for this beer, but I just wasn't feeling it.

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Had a pour of this at Jacob Wirth's in Boston my last time out. The tap ran dry the last time I was here, so I jumped on it this time. $9 for a drop into the official half liter glass. My lunch in comparison, was only $7.50. :o

Big frothy head spilling all over the bar, but it settles just on the line. Nice recovery. Served a little cold & fidgety, it tossed around for a little while & settled on just being plain old brown & cloudy.

Big yeasty caramel nose, with very pungent clove & bread crust right in the center of things. Almost like someone making bread pudding for the first time. :P Big splash of alcohol concentrating at the end.

Taste was a little disappointing. Very, very bready, lazy & abusive banana/clove esters & a karate throat chop full of alcohol. Positives were the peppery spiciness, some caramel, & the pruny & acidic end that gets soaked up on a toasted finish.

Flour-like texture(though strong carbonation), but really too messy with the alcohol. I enjoyed the taste, but didn't really enjoy swallowing it.

Nine dollars can buy me a really mean LI iced tea.
Just saying. :D

3.3/5  rDev -24%

This one was so highly touted I had to give it a try.

Pours out an interesting murky brown color that's somewhere between dark iced tea and light cola. Big tan head that was impressively packed made me excited for my first sip.

Smells pretty wheaty, with some overtones of clove, chocolate, alcohol, banana, and even a bit of fresh pear.

Taste is a little bump in the road for me. It has an interesting mix of chocolate, caramel, and some clove and banana flavors I'd kind of expect from the style. My only problem, and I know it's supposed to be strong, is that I feel the alcohol is a bit over-the-top in the flavor. There's a pleasant clove element to the finish, but it's almost completely overpowered by the alcohol. It seemed a little more assertive than the 8% would warrant. Raisiny notes are there and fairly enticing, though.

Overall, I knid of went back and forth on this beer. It looked and smelled great, but then I hated the taste. As it warmed, I started to like it more and more, but it's definitely not one of my new favorites.

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a brown color with a slight ruby red tint to it. It has a thick light tan head that fades very slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a bubblegum like aroma. It also smells slightly spicy. Some caramel malt aroma is also present. It has a very subtle yeasty aroma also.

From the aroma, I was worried about what this beer would taste like. However, I was wrong. It tastes good. It is spicy, with some yeasty flavor.It has a caramel malty sweet flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. It is decently carbonated for the style.

I doubt this beer would kae the best session beer. It is a little high in alcohol. Also, although the flavor is decent, it might be a bit much after a few.

Overall: I didnt particularly like this one. I dont know what is was, but I just didnt like it. Sorry.

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Pours a nice dark cloudy copper color with a big off-white head. It also has good lacing

S - Strong aroma of the sweet wheat which gives it a nice chocolate orange aroma.

T - Tart wheat flavor. Kind of lemony but with backgrounds of malty sweet. There is a strong alcohol aroma on the end of it.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink, if it wasnt for the tartness of it.

D - For its style I think it is very drinkable. Nice would be nice on cool summer nights.

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a deep, muddy golden brown, with a modest fizzy head that settles down to little more than a lacing.

Nose has some alcohol esthers and a scent of what I can only describe as burnt hops.

First sip is interesting, leading in with a quick hit of hops, mellowed out by a mild burnt malt taste and then the hops are back, mixing with the carbonation to form an interesting combination of dark caramel roasty malt and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is ok, with the carbonation being a bit too agressive against the burnt taste for my liking.

This is my first review of a Weizenbock, and I've found I am evidently not a fan of the style. While I can appreciate the complexity and craft of this brew, the taste ended up being unpalatable to me after about 2/3 of the bottle and I couldn't force myself to finish it.

If you like Weizenbocks, I have little reason to doubt you'll like or love this.

Wyll-

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into my hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours an opaque, rasberry brown with orange & sienna highlights throughout. Head is bubbly, soapy, and mocha colored. Builds up a decent amount but drops down quickly. Effervescence upon closer inspection.

S- Aroma's are actually very faint. Hard to pick up on anything. Do detect a little bit of a malty/fruity combination. Some yeast and clove, but very faint.

T- Flavors are quite intresting. Its like a dopplebock combined with a hefeweizen, which I didn't pick up on from other weizenbocks. Starts out as a hefeweizen with the light, yeast and clove taste. Afterwards the caramel malts roll in with somewhat of a rye flavor. A little bready. No hint of the alcohol.

M- Light to medium bodied. Goes down very easy. Tiniest bit drying. Felt very similar to drinking other weizenbocks, is that a normal mouthfeel?

D- Nothing overly special about this beer. Best aspect may be how well the alcohol is hidden, which does contribute to some good drinkability. Smooth enough to go down easy, would not drink too many of these as you might end up in trouble. But you couldn't tell from any of this beers traits that it was 8.2%.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.