Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Caudalie

Quebec (Canada)

07-17-2013 19:40:02 | More by Caudalie
MONKandTUCK

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured, sacriligiously, into a highball class.

A- Brown with a frothy white cap.

A- Chsitmas spice, banana peel, a touch of sour. Some bready malt becomes apparent as the beer warms.

T- A sour tinge is immediately apparant, then the taste of carmel-covered banana, lots of breadiness, and a delicate chocolate note. Really, the spice and the sour tinge dominate.
It's unimaginable that this beer is 8% alc. It's wet and leaves no burn. Easy drinking, but in that light I'd really rather a fresh Hefeweizen.

M- The wheat leaves a frothy light body that glides over the palate before floating away. It's easy drinking... except for the taste.

0- Wheat beers have the shortest of shelflives after hor-forward beers, like IPA's. So I'm hoping, although this one exceeds 8%ABV, that this example sits post its prime. It just fails to impress me. The flavor is there, but nothing exceptional pops out.

07-25-2011 13:07:30 | More by MONKandTUCK
tjinohio

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: A ruby-bruin color with a nice eggshell white head that provides nice lacing

Smell: Interesting. I get the top-fermented estery banana of a Belgian ale along with a yeasty slice of white bread.

Taste: This beer calls itself a top-fermented dopplebock ale. Thats what you get in the taste. There is a fruitiness belying a dopplebock. This is, I imagine, indicative of a weizenbock, but it is an unusual blend given the German origins of this beer. Additionally, I found that it left a sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: It is a little slick, but the carbonation is pleasant.

Drinkability: Not really a fan. I found the pint bottle more than enough.

05-31-2010 02:25:04 | More by tjinohio

01-13-2013 19:11:53 | More by scarnold8
Realale

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

Gorgeous, rich mahogany color. Slight cloudiness, as yeast was swirled and poured into the class. Huge rocky beige head slooooooowly settles to the thinnest cap of foam.

Nose is nicely clovey, with a complex bready/malty base. Some fruitiness as well.

Goes a bit wrong in the mouth. The clove is there, although a bit strong, but the sweet malt is an almost over-whelming presence. Not enough bitterness to balance the too sweet palate, and the alcohol is apparent on the finish - always a turn-off for me. Perhaps an off-bottle, but I couldn't finish it. Based on reputation, I'd be willing to give it another shot, but this was disappointing.

12-13-2002 06:07:49 | More by Realale
ralree

Maryland

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Cloudy caramel colored - pretty opaque. Nice 2-finger off-white head. Good retention and decent lacing.

S: Caramel, raisins, berries, lots of fruitiness. Very dessert-like smell.

T: Alcohol and raisins are dominant, followed by more alcohol after swallowing. There is a fermented fruit sweetness behind all the flavors. It's alright, but not great.

M: Medium-bodied and perfectly carbonated. Sweetness makes the mouth feel unclean though - a bit like sugary soda does.

D: Drinkable, but too cloying to enjoy in large amounts. Probably won't drink again.

11-18-2007 21:10:00 | More by ralree
Prufrock

3.28/5  rDev -24.4%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

medium cola brown with a touch of red. an inch of loud bubbly tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

cloves, bananas and a cola sweetness in the aroma.

bananas and a malty sweetness in the taste. heavy mouthfeel with a medium carbonation. leaves the taste of cloves in the aftertaste, but the finish is fairly empty. second glass tastes better than the first with the sediment adding some complexity. straightforward and drinkable, but nothing stellar.

02-04-2006 04:14:09 | More by Prufrock
RandomExile

Maryland

3.29/5  rDev -24.2%

A: hazy translucent amber in the light; dense, full, lasting off-white head, eventually fades to a centimeter of cover; little to no lacing
S: yeast/wheat, apple, savory
T: smokey/sour/savory/apple
M: medium-bodied, coating, dry
O: Dissapointing off flavor and scent. Many people get far more out of this beer, but this is in a class of bad-savory-tasting beers in a class I otherwise prefer. It's bizarre--I'd very much like to hear from someone who's had this or other similar beers and can clarify whether I keep somehow getting bad bottles or whether I'm especially sensitive to this flavor.

500mL / Weizen Glass

02-15-2014 05:16:47 | More by RandomExile
swamiswamu

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -24%

This was a disapointment. It pours reddish orange with a eggshell head. Some lacing. The malts were just too cloying. This offset a little bit by cloves, but not enough. It did serve as a deecent winter warmer, but the sweetness really cut down on drinkability. I can see the love for this beer, but I just wasn't feeling it.

02-18-2005 16:20:44 | More by swamiswamu
PEBKAC

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Had a pour of this at Jacob Wirth's in Boston my last time out. The tap ran dry the last time I was here, so I jumped on it this time. $9 for a drop into the official half liter glass. My lunch in comparison, was only $7.50. :o

Big frothy head spilling all over the bar, but it settles just on the line. Nice recovery. Served a little cold & fidgety, it tossed around for a little while & settled on just being plain old brown & cloudy.

Big yeasty caramel nose, with very pungent clove & bread crust right in the center of things. Almost like someone making bread pudding for the first time. :P Big splash of alcohol concentrating at the end.

Taste was a little disappointing. Very, very bready, lazy & abusive banana/clove esters & a karate throat chop full of alcohol. Positives were the peppery spiciness, some caramel, & the pruny & acidic end that gets soaked up on a toasted finish.

Flour-like texture(though strong carbonation), but really too messy with the alcohol. I enjoyed the taste, but didn't really enjoy swallowing it.

Nine dollars can buy me a really mean LI iced tea.
Just saying. :D

05-10-2008 00:22:32 | More by PEBKAC
whartontallboy

3.3/5  rDev -24%

This one was so highly touted I had to give it a try.

Pours out an interesting murky brown color that's somewhere between dark iced tea and light cola. Big tan head that was impressively packed made me excited for my first sip.

Smells pretty wheaty, with some overtones of clove, chocolate, alcohol, banana, and even a bit of fresh pear.

Taste is a little bump in the road for me. It has an interesting mix of chocolate, caramel, and some clove and banana flavors I'd kind of expect from the style. My only problem, and I know it's supposed to be strong, is that I feel the alcohol is a bit over-the-top in the flavor. There's a pleasant clove element to the finish, but it's almost completely overpowered by the alcohol. It seemed a little more assertive than the 8% would warrant. Raisiny notes are there and fairly enticing, though.

Overall, I knid of went back and forth on this beer. It looked and smelled great, but then I hated the taste. As it warmed, I started to like it more and more, but it's definitely not one of my new favorites.

05-20-2005 03:16:44 | More by whartontallboy
GooberMcNutly

3.3/5  rDev -24%

Dark, rich and sweet. The wheat base to the bock gives it a tall, white rockey head and removed all astringency from the mouthfeel. Aromas of cloves and very, very slight banana and vanilla aspects. The malty bock backbone and lager fermentation suppress most of the yeasty/bready fresh aspects and give it some legs in the bottle.

01-19-2007 16:24:23 | More by GooberMcNutly
OStrungT

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer pours a brown color with a slight ruby red tint to it. It has a thick light tan head that fades very slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a bubblegum like aroma. It also smells slightly spicy. Some caramel malt aroma is also present. It has a very subtle yeasty aroma also.

From the aroma, I was worried about what this beer would taste like. However, I was wrong. It tastes good. It is spicy, with some yeasty flavor.It has a caramel malty sweet flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. It is decently carbonated for the style.

I doubt this beer would kae the best session beer. It is a little high in alcohol. Also, although the flavor is decent, it might be a bit much after a few.

Overall: I didnt particularly like this one. I dont know what is was, but I just didnt like it. Sorry.

10-22-2006 00:35:02 | More by OStrungT
quasimoto

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Pours a nice dark cloudy copper color with a big off-white head. It also has good lacing

S - Strong aroma of the sweet wheat which gives it a nice chocolate orange aroma.

T - Tart wheat flavor. Kind of lemony but with backgrounds of malty sweet. There is a strong alcohol aroma on the end of it.

M - Very smooth and easy to drink, if it wasnt for the tartness of it.

D - For its style I think it is very drinkable. Nice would be nice on cool summer nights.

02-25-2006 03:33:29 | More by quasimoto
pioppo

Italy

3.33/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

01-26-2011 12:16:23 | More by pioppo
wyllder

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a deep, muddy golden brown, with a modest fizzy head that settles down to little more than a lacing.

Nose has some alcohol esthers and a scent of what I can only describe as burnt hops.

First sip is interesting, leading in with a quick hit of hops, mellowed out by a mild burnt malt taste and then the hops are back, mixing with the carbonation to form an interesting combination of dark caramel roasty malt and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is ok, with the carbonation being a bit too agressive against the burnt taste for my liking.

This is my first review of a Weizenbock, and I've found I am evidently not a fan of the style. While I can appreciate the complexity and craft of this brew, the taste ended up being unpalatable to me after about 2/3 of the bottle and I couldn't force myself to finish it.

If you like Weizenbocks, I have little reason to doubt you'll like or love this.

Wyll-

07-02-2004 14:21:43 | More by wyllder
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Not sure about this one. Smell was that of raisins and prunes but the taste was a bit unbalanced IMO. At times smooth and at other times a bit harsh. Sound weird? Well it was. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of this beer to begin with. Hard to finish a whole glass for me but I definitely appreciate it. I was expecting more from this 5 year old beer.

01-24-2004 00:34:08 | More by Jdiddy
haazer

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into my hefeweizen glass.

A- Pours an opaque, rasberry brown with orange & sienna highlights throughout. Head is bubbly, soapy, and mocha colored. Builds up a decent amount but drops down quickly. Effervescence upon closer inspection.

S- Aroma's are actually very faint. Hard to pick up on anything. Do detect a little bit of a malty/fruity combination. Some yeast and clove, but very faint.

T- Flavors are quite intresting. Its like a dopplebock combined with a hefeweizen, which I didn't pick up on from other weizenbocks. Starts out as a hefeweizen with the light, yeast and clove taste. Afterwards the caramel malts roll in with somewhat of a rye flavor. A little bready. No hint of the alcohol.

M- Light to medium bodied. Goes down very easy. Tiniest bit drying. Felt very similar to drinking other weizenbocks, is that a normal mouthfeel?

D- Nothing overly special about this beer. Best aspect may be how well the alcohol is hidden, which does contribute to some good drinkability. Smooth enough to go down easy, would not drink too many of these as you might end up in trouble. But you couldn't tell from any of this beers traits that it was 8.2%.

11-21-2010 04:21:06 | More by haazer
chunkylover53

Ontario (Canada)

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a dark brown with a big foamy, quickly-dissipating head.

The smell is really interesting. Sort of chocolatey with a warm earthiness. Maybe some dark fruits. Hard to describe, but very nice. In fact, the smell is the nicest thing about it.

The taste is... well... OK. Not as strong as the smell. Slightly hoppy with a bit of the aforementioned dark fruits.

I couldn't drink a great deal of this, but I wouldn't turn it down, either.

12-07-2005 03:26:20 | More by chunkylover53
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

A very cloudy brown/dark amber beer. Has a small beige head that evaporates quickly. A lot of clove character up front in the aroma. With some nutty malt notes in the background. The taste is malty sweet at first with some dried fruit notes in the middle. You get a hint of clove on the finish. Followed by the warming alcohol note on the end.

12-14-2006 23:11:34 | More by ybnorml
Pencible

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%

This poured a hazy dark mahogany with white head. It smelled like lemon and wild yeast, salt and vinegar, and no malt. It tasted like prune malt and sour wild yeast with lemon and salty hops. It was watery with lots of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall this was much more Belgian and less dark (lacking malt) than I expected. It was clean and drinkable, but didn't have a flavor that I particularly enjoy. It had decent body and hid the alcohol fairly well, and will hopefully become much more balanced with tasty malt character as it ages.

11-17-2008 01:37:02 | More by Pencible
Arbitrator

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%

Chilled bottle into glass.

A: Pours a translucent mahogany color with ruby and amber highlights when held to a lamp. The one-inch off-white head recedes over a few minutes into a donut around the glass. Substantial lacing when I take a swig, but nothing that sticks to the sides as I drink.

S: Dark fruit, spices, wheat, bubble gum, and banana.

T: Wow, a lot of bubble gum and banana up front. The two flavors segue into a dark fruit medley, mostly raisins and plums, that lay on the sweetness. The taste ends with a combination of wheat, cloves, and coriander. Tastes a lot like a dark Belgian ale, more than a bock.

M: Medium-bodied, with strong carbonation that gives it a spicy kick but detracts from the flavor a bit. The ABV has a very slight sting and singes the nose hairs on the exhale, but it is very manageable otherwise.

D: It feels almost like this beer isn't sure what it wants to be. Very heavy tastes, but a medium body and high carbonation. The flavors blend very well, but it's heavy enough on the tongue that a single one of these is enough to induce palate fatigue. I enjoyed the first 1/3 of this but was progressively less enthused on the rest.

05-10-2009 03:45:35 | More by Arbitrator
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%

I see this beer all the time at Total Wine, but never knew the history behind it. There is one guy that RAVES about this beer, calling it, "the best beer ever". Not sure it is the best beer in the world, but I am excited to try it. I like the label, too… it's purple. I bet Sheryl likes that. It's her favorite color. I also really like the name. Look for the next few bottles to be from the other side of the aisle. You need to visit a Total Wine to know what I mean, but at Total Wine, the beers from the United States are on one side, and then all other countries on the other. I will be spending more time on the other side for a while. Just to make things interesting!

In the Glass: After hearing Sheryl explain it, I am not sure I can do this beer justice. She basically said someone took a "dump" in the glass. Her words, not mine. I wouldn't say that, but the beer is quite dark. It also has a large head that just sits there for 5 minutes. Granted, I did a hard pour, but the head was impressive. The lace isn't very impressive considering the head, but I am not too worried about that.

It says on the bottle that this is "Germany's original wheat-doppelbock ale". Not a typical style for us, so let's dig in.

Nose: This smells like a spicy wheat beer. The aroma isn't all that impressive. I am impressed with the ABV on this one. 8.2 for a beer that is only $3.99 a bottle is a pretty good deal. I am also seeing, "TAP 6" on the label. It is on the label and on the neck of the bottle. I don't know what that means. Maybe I should Google it.

A second whiff has me smelling more dark fruits leaving with a very earthy finish. I hope it tastes better than it smells!

Flavor: The flavor is quite complex, and I am getting a lot of different flavors throughout. I am not sure where to start. At first I get typical wheat beer flavors; think Blue Moon. Then it mellows out as I swallow, and some subtle sweetness kicks in. Then plums take over. Maybe that is why the label is purple. The plums are really obvious for a few minutes, then a nice drying takes over. The finish only lasts for a few seconds, but it is a very enjoyable drink. Again, not blown away with the flavor profile here, but I am impressed with the complexity this bottle offers.

Mouthfeel: Considering the head on this, I expected more bubbles. The mouthfeel is quite nice, and slides down smooth. It is VERY easy to drink. There are some bubbles at the end of the drink, but nothing to write home about. On that drink I started to swish the beer around in my mouth a little. I plan on doing that for all beer reviews going forward so I can comment on my additional experience. When doing that here, the bubbles overwhelm the palate, but the plums really come through. If I didn't know any better, I would think they used plums in the brewing process on this one.

Aftertaste: The sweetness from the plums sticks around for a few minutes, and it slowly becomes dry. The finish doesn't last very long, but it is long enough to make me want another sip. I am drinking this right out of the fridge, and with this one, I am not sure it warming up will do much for the beer. The best part of this beer are those fruity flavors I am getting.

The guy that calls this beer, "the best beer ever" must not have a very refined palate. It's good, but it is by no means the best beer in the world. Actually, the best beer in the world, according to RateBeer, isn't even that good. Cool story, but quads are just not my style. They did a good job with this bottle, and I am going to look at where those plum flavors are coming from. Best part of this offering. Cheers!

05-08-2013 22:27:05 | More by rickyleepotts
Lothore

3.4/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours deep brown with an excellent cream colored head. This brew smells of sweet fruits. The taste is also of sweet fruit, namely dried apricot and darker fruit. It is highly carbonated with an average viscosity. It is fairly drinkable however it just isnt my style, the taste really doesn't do it for me.

07-05-2007 07:06:09 | More by Lothore