Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,057 | Reviews: 2,068
4.09/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours to a plum colored amber with a finger thick head that dissipates quickly. Smells of wheat and hmmm grapes, plums or prunes, not sure.

Taste definitely was prunes I think, with wheat and a bit of alcohol in the background. Finish was a chocolate covered clove leaf.

Swishing about the mouth brings out the suds and alcohol taste, a light and frothy feel.

Drinkability is good but the alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Nice dark brown color and white head. Head leaves very quickly and provides an easy to drink well carbonated beer. Enough about the feel, color and smell! What a great beer! Get some german cheese, some crackers and have at it. This one will always have a shelf in my fridge. I love it and think that it goes very well with German food. It just tastes like Germany. Enjoy!

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

1pt .9 oz bottle poured into flute glass.

Beautiful dark brown color. Small Head dissipated very very quickly. No lacing. Very little carbonation. Thought I may have had a bad beer or something, maybe old, judging by the lack or carb,and head. But this thing is good! Scratch that second pour more vigorous got quite a large head disipated quick. Minimal lace.

Smells strong of banana and caramel. This may be the best aroma ive ever had the privalidge of expieriencing.

Fruity and malty tasting, wonderful, bit of an off aftertaste that just makes my want to drink more.

Feels very smooth with minimal carbonation, creamy.

Very very drinkable. I realy cant belive its 8.2%. Hardly any alchohol taste to me at all. Very pleasent to drink and the longer beetween sips the more the aftertaste makes you need another. Great beer, one of my new favs. A co worker said it was bad, I cant wait to tell him he was WRONG! A must try beer!

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%

Another wonderful brew from Schneider... Rich colouring, Beautiful head! Cloves and pepper with a slight amount of bannana on the nose. Taste was one of raisons and a slight choc/toffee flavour, this kept developing as the beers temperature changed until fruity bannana became evident in the taste as well as aroma.

A very drinkable beer, I would be happy with glass after glass.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to many positive recommendations on Beer Advocate I sought out this incredible beer. I've never had a doppelbock than grabbed my attention like this one! We were at a German bier stubbe in the Chicagoland area enjoying various schnitzel dishes, when I saw Aventinus on their beer menu. Remembering my Beer Advocate recommendation on this beer, I suggested we order a round. WOW, we weren't dissapointed!

A: Dark ruby, cloudy when held to the light. The vision is that of a deep robust beer. The head is outstanding, thick & creamy full of frothy goodness.
S: The variety of aromas coming from the glass made me ponder for minutes all that assailed my senses. Raisin, clove, oatmeal with many overtones as the carbonation tickled my nose.
T: Smooth and flavorful with many different tastes on my palate. Sheer enjoyment as I savored each sip. Carmel and raisin were predominate, but there was a toasty aftertaste that I really enjoyed. Just a wonderfully complex beer that treats your senses on every level.
M: Silky smooth, creamy, with a wonderful afterglow of warm alcohol tingling your palate. Not overbearing mind you, but you know it's there.
D: At 8% I'm sure a couple of these would have you mellowed out in a hurry. Very drinkable, not heavy, but this is a potent brew and after 2 pints I could feel the kick. But I loved it.

If you like doppelbocks or hearty brews with big chartacter, give Aventinus a try. It's a great beer.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours chocolately-brown and cloudy--looks just like a dark, unflitered wheat beer. Respectable head that settles down to a thick, bubbly layer over my beer. It smells rich and creamy, and the smell displays more of the German wheat beer characteristics than the taste actually does. Smells distinctly of bananas and cloves. The taste is mild and somewhat constricted, but really very good and it tastes like a classic, which I suppose it is. Definitely a good beer to watch out for and to try, at least once, on a warm summer night on the patio of your favorite beer bar.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

500 ml bottle, pours a copper brown. almost the color of a deeep honey with amber hues. a very light brown or cream fluffy head that dissipates nicely. well carbonated.

smells like german malts and yeast. wheaty as well. some caramel in it as well.

as i said early, well carbonated. with a crisp "snap crackle and pop" feel to it. full body for sure. doesn't feel to syrupy, more viscous than i thought. As I got down to the bottom a spicy flavor started to emerge as well. I have no idea where they are hiding the 8.2% because I can't taste it at all!

Wow. great brew. I'm going to a german restaurant tomorrow night for a boot of one of these.

cheers

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 500ml Euro style bottle, into a Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark murky brown, with about 2-3 fingers worth of off-white head, that disipates rather quickly, but leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Tons of dark fruits; plums, raisins, figs. A nice healthy dose of a biscuity malt character follows the fruits.

Taste: Similar to the smell, with the dark fruit flavors coming though staring at the beginning, with the sweet bready malts coming in to round things out a bit at the end.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick, though it still has a nice crisp, clean finish, that keeps you wanting more.

Overall: Very good brew. Never had a Wheat Dopplebock before, but this one stands up to the best Dopplebocks I've had. Very sweet, but not cloyingly so, just a very well balanced high gravity brew.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A dark 'n delicious beauty of a beer! Boasting an incredibly rich, nutty flavor with strong hints of spice - cinnamon and clove come immediately to my senses. With a sweet aroma and a silken mouthfeel akin to what might be a sort of liquid velvet, the thick and longevitous head comprised of fine bubbles tops off what is one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to experience. So spicy she is that this would not be a beer I drink in robust quantity, rather one to savor and let linger on the palate while the ripe fruity scents waft up to the nose and prelude the slightly bitter, ever so smooth finish fit for kings.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Having this beer on tap, in it's own glass, is a special event. It's a tall glass, slim at bottom and quite wide at top. My favorite style of beer is a Weizenbock, and as you would expect I enjoy the slight sweetness and maltiness of this beer. It really deserves a place among beers such as Chimay Bleu, Westvleteren, Rochefort as an amazing beer that has withstood the test of time. Schneider brews some damn good stuff.

Good old Aventinus. Strange beer it is to me. When I first tried it I despised it, but like Orval, I kept coming back to it and now it's at the top of my list. Pours a beautiful mahogany with a big foamy, fizzy head. Smells of chocolate cherrys, and other unidentifiable fruits. Wonderful aromas are coming off of this that I just can't put my finger on. Smooth, smooth, smooth for something of this alcohol content. Instantly refreshing, yet at the same time, rich with flavour. Dark fruits and milk chocolate are all over this. The yeast assaults you with a million unidentifiable fruit flavours. The closest I can come is bananas, red delicious apples and cherries. Finishes with a slight, and I MEAN slight chocolately aftertaste. This is one of God's nectars and if Schneider and Sohn ever decide to stop making it they better start watching their backs! :)

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Was poured a sample from draft on the recommendation of the bartender (I asked for something bold and/or extreme).

Poured a light caramel color with a big foamy head. One sip and I was blown away. The big head gives way to a blast of banana aroma and flavor. The fruitiness is complemented by a distinctive toffee/caramel sweetness. This beer melts in your mouth. The finish is sweet with a trace of alcohol, just enough to let you know you're drinking a beer and not a dessert from iron chef.

Fantastic beer.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into weizen glass.

Appearance- A hazy reddy brown with a beautiful 3-4 finger off white head with a combination of large and small bubbles

Smell- I get lots of banana, bready yeasty sweetness, caramel malts and a tinge of alcohol with some spiciness (clove or allspice?) in particular.

Taste- Taste is bready, with lots caramel malts, and lots of spiciness (clove, nutmeg). Also, there are some dark fruits and a little bit of alcohol; the alchohol is very well hidden though. Awesome flavour overall. Also, banana flavour is present, but it does not stand over and above the other flavours, rather it is a part of the broader sweet bready profile that dominates the beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, and somewhat sticky. Coats the mouth quite well.

Drinkability- Not a session beer, but one to enjoy after supper on a cold winter evening.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

This brew has an insane amount of frothy light head.
Color is a chalky dark amber that lets no light through.
Smell is of very strong oak and yeast.
The taste is extremely rich. It has dark malts and fruity after thoughts. An interesting combo, and a nice sipper.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Been drinking nothing but dipa's ris's and all that crazy stuff latley so its time for a change!

The beer pours with a light amber base that gets progressively darker as it reaches it's perfect white head.

Smells like a bastard child of la folie and ayinger doppelbock absolutley heaven

The taste has less sour tones than the smell would lead you to beleive however the over powering sweetness that is present in some doppelbocks is much more controlled here.

The mouthfeel has some initial carbonation but is very smooth overall not ten fidy smooth but this isnt exactly ten fidy now is it.

Drinks very well for the abv and the style probably couldnt do more than a few bombers without being on my ass but amazing never the less

4.33/5  rDev 0%

This is an astonishing and quite unique beer. Will, without a doubt, be a permanent addition to my buying patterns.
On first pour, this is a deep, dark, cloudy and chocolatey brown. The head is dense that (slowly) fades to a creamy and sticky lace. Aromas are predominately fruit esthers with a strong burnt sugar and alcohol underpinning. Oddly enough, there is a nice tropical spice aroma that lurks under it all.
Initial taste shows a bright and snappy carbonation with noticable alcohol and a nice, tropical-seeming, spice and caramel flavor. The mouth feel is super creamy but a bit too "sticky" to be truly excellent (IMHO). Finish has excellent wheat and yeast flavors with a final blast of crisp fruit/alchohol.
This is an outrageous beer. To my taste and in my experience the best of its type.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

A - 500 ml serving pours muskeg (Alaskan for peat bog) water brown with a lot of fizzy cream soda head that all but disappears; if you let it sit and warm awhile it takes on a bit of a 'brandy in a snifter' quality. Second pour produces an opaque fog.

S - Banana bread, wheat and pleasant pure alcoholic nose...raisins & big cloves; doughier on second, swirled pour.

T - More bananas, more bread, malt, roasted grain, raisins, dominating cloves...walnuts; mild, waltzing alcohol. To say that this is a beer with flavor would be to say that the Marianas Trench is deep. Swirling bottom contents on second pour infuses yeast and dough.

M - Smooth but not too viscous, carbonation persistent, slightly astringent; if left to sit and warm it takes on a bit of a 'brandy in a snifter' quality; second cloudy pour is more viscous, less astringent than 'slightly astringent'.

D - Worth a few numbers around the dance floor until you need to take a cab home; this girl can dance.

I'm glad I can finally leave a review of Aventinus, a brew I found in Germany a year ago and have managed to enjoy often since then.

Served in a 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. bottle, no freshness date marked.

A: Pours a nice, deep brown. Good sized tan head with nice lacing. Pretty much clear, with some slight clouding.

S: Has an undoubtedly alcoholic scent, along with notes of clove, fruit and banana.

T: Wow. I've heard more than one reviewer call Aventinus "The Nectar of the Gods" and I couldn't agree more. Starts off sweet with a little bit of fruity tang, plus some slight caramel flavors. Finishes more with clove and an alcoholic taste.

M: For the most part, heavy and creamy... though there is paradoxally a crispness to the beer as well. Incredibly pleasant warming alcohol feel as well.

D: I would only suggest one or two of these in a night, but that doesn't mean that the beer has low drinkability. Rather, I could happily have Aventinus every night.

Notes: A golden standard for the Weizenbock, and for quality brewing in general. Probably as close to a perfect beer as can be found on earth.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a fantastic brew!

It poured a beautiful hazy medium orange with a very impressive head that outlasted the brew.

The scent coming off this beer was a medium sweet banana clove with some alcohol, though less than expected considering ABV.

It tasted like it smelled... malty banana with some clove and other fruits (apricot?). No noticeable hops. Clean and refreshing with minor alcohol taste.

Full of flavor and truly a joy to drink. If it weren't $4-5 a bottle, I'd drink it much more often!

Get some!

4.2/5  rDev -3%

I had this one on tap in Atlantic City.
The color was Dark red/brown, looked very nice poured into it's own Aventinus glass. THe smell was of clove and possible wheat malt maybe banana.
Nice full head that was full-bodied with a hint of caramel.

I had about 15 to taste this night and this by far was my favorite.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

First, let me warn you: this is one super carbonated beer. As soon as I popped off the bottle cap the head began to rise inside the bottle and I quickly had to grab my glass to save myself from a mess. So, consider yourself warned.

Appearance: Poured out of a 500 ml (16.9 ounces my calculator tells me) bottle into a Paulaner weizen glass. This beer pours a very dark golden brown color with an enormous off-white head. Once I swirl the remainder of the beer inside the bottle and add it to my glass a heavy amount of yeast sediment can be seen floating in the beer. Holding this beer up to a light reveals an absolutely insane amount of carbonation bubble rising from the bottom of the glass, and it reminds me of those thermal vents on the ocean floor you see videos of. The head looks very soft and pillowy and lingers for a long time, but surprisingly leaves no lace on the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer showcases its very strong phenol aroma with bananas and apples being the most prominent. There is also a strong clove presence, along with hints of crystal malts and light brown sugar. The nose is fairly reminiscent of spiced apple cider, but with a much stronger malt presence.

Taste: This beer starts off with a strong amount of sweetness and yeasty, bready, malty flavors; moves to a complex fruitiness and spiciness; then fades to a rich, syrupy sweetness at the end intertwined with a moderate amount of alcohol flavor. Along the way there are notes of banana, clove, and vanilla, along with a slight hint of chocolate from the malts. The finish brings the clove phenols to the forefront, along with a pleasant warming effect from the alcohol. The spiciness and warmth of the finish would make this a good winter beer for when you're sitting in front of a fire.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium bodied with a good amount of creaminess and carbonation. Unlike some of the other reviews, however, I don't think this beer is too carbonated for the style or too carbonated to adversely affect the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Despite the fact that the alcohol is faintly present in the finish it is in no way overpowering, and this is one highly drinkable beer. This beer has all the drinkability of a good Dunkleweisse but a much stronger malt flavor. All of this adds up to make for one great beer.

Notes: BJCP history for this style tells me that "Aventinus, the world's oldest top-fermented wheat doppelbock, was created in 1907 at the Weisse Brauhaus in Munich using the 'Méthode Champenoise' with fresh yeast sediment on the bottom. It was Schneider's creative response to bottom-fermenting doppelbocks that developed a strong following during these times", and I feel blessed to be able to drink "the original". Whether or not that means this is the best is up for debate, but only time (and me drinking more Weizenbocks) will tell. If you're a big fan of wheat beers or of any of the similar styles, be sure to give this one a try.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Dark and Hazy with a 2 finger beige/white head that leaves no lacing.

S - Fruits, some banana, wheat and some alcohol.

T - Spices, Bananas and some fruits, some burned malt flavor appears halfway in and a little bit of alcohol.

M- Medium body with really sharp carbonation and some "warmth" from the alcohol makes a really pleasant experience.

D - Great beer that makes you want to take one more.

Serving: Bottle in a Weissbier glass.

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%

One of my first beers of this type. Hard to forget.

Once I liked it extremely for the exciting taste.

Now, it is a bit too sweet for me. Only when it is very cold outside, just one bottle of this is perfect.

The aroma is crazy. Very intense banana and clove. Additional very strong sweet malty aroma.

The taste is very intense and sweet.

Due to high abv. and sugar content it gets fast to the head.