Join our email list →

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany | website

Weizenbock | 8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,074 | Hads: 4,264
3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle, into a pint-glass. I know, I know.

Poured a dark copper/brown with flashes of red. Head is extremely lively and I have to pour this one slow. The head recedes after about 30 seconds leaving no lacing. Smells of that grassiness and malt character.

Extremely fizzy and lively mouthfeel. Taste is heavy-duty on bananas, with that strong wheat character and spiciness. I also detect some raisins, prunes and a very light finish with mild toasting. I can't even hint at the alchohol, very well hidden. I can detect a very similar character in Hoegaarden, another wheat beer, of course.

I'm not keen on this style yet, I'm having a hard time getting into the wheat feel in general. I will explore, learn and return later.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

pured murky but not too dark, some transparency at the edges. poors with a moderate head and it stays around.

smells of malt and dark fruits

taste is grainy and dark fruits with raisins being the predominant one...

good beer, high alcohol content sneaks up on you.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A: A nice walnut brown haze that fades out to a golden amber. Abundant, even head with a light tan color. Barely any lacing.

S: Aromas of fig, maple syrup, and the slightest hint of citrus.

T&M: Soft maltiness with a sour finish. Upon tasting, the scents of fig give way to a more tart raisin and fermented pear. The balance between soft and sour is perfect.

D: It doesn't get much better than this. At 8%abv, it may be tricky as a session brew- guess it depends on the person. This is one smooth doppel that will seriously grow on you.

Also, this beer greatly benefits from its official glassware (pilsner with a rounded top). As you bring it to your lips, the bubble near the top of the glass nicely captures all of this brews aromas. Just bought the glass today and I notice the difference.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

I did not try this at the brewery a month ago and now I regret it. Light brown, foamy head atop a redish, cloudy body. Foamy head does fade leaving some lacing, not much. Initial taste is a sweet, dry, coffee and banana bread blend. Spicy and quite complex. The sweetness seems to come on strong on the tip of the tongue then just before it dominates the taste buds it
gets balanced out nicely with the spice and dryness of the brew. The mouthfeel hangs on well between sips and the finish is dry with just a bit of the malty chewiness that you would expect from a doppelbock. A nicely done brew and worth picking up.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pilsner gass.
Nice foamy head that slowly fell to a thin cap. Jasper brown, and cloudy, letting only a little light through.
Smells of spiced pears, apples, and bananas. Clove and allspice, sourdough notes.
Taste and aroma are much of the same, but wheatbread presents itself more prominently.
The beer hits all parts of the tongue at once, and the flavors meld nicely. It moves through the mouth quickly and smoothly.
I can and have drink many of these one after another. I really like drinking this beer.
I have ordered and purchased this beer many times but have never given much thought to why this is. It all comes together well.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly golden with a lasting 1cm white head. Aroma is of slightly overripe banana and a bit of yeast.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth with no alcohol sting. Instead the taste is of banana, well-rounded, mild hops, with clove/black pepper at the end. Very tasty!

I had this with mild-flavored picnic food: boiled eggs, ham, fried chicken, potato salad, etc. It enhanced the meal well.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

It was a very clear dark amber with fantastic white head. It was fairly well carbonated and looked great in the glass. The smell was very wheaty almost like a hef. It was very cidery in scent with tons of floral notes. The only deduction I had was that an alcohol quality was sensed during wafting. It tastes of malty richness as wheat fills the mouth. It is exceptional for the style but a tinge too sweet for my taste buds. The mouthfeel was creamy and rich but not too thick- fantastic. I found this beer to be very drinkable and I will break another one out during the summer, poolside.

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

The head on this puppy is huge! It took me a few pours to get it all into my hefewiezen glass. It's pretty cool to see all of these tiny bubbles screaming from the bottom to the top of my glass. Color is a dark brown. This bottle went flat pretty quickly. Not sure if that is normal or not.
Smell is like bubble gum and then almost earthy. This is definitely a German brew.
Taste is bananas and bubble gum without much hoppiness to it. Overall pretty sweet. A really distinctive beer. Different from anything I've ever had. Not sure if this is my style though.
The 8% alcohol is hard to find here. Extremely drinkable. One 500ml bottle caught up to me quickly.
I would recommend you try this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank a bunch of these in Helen,Ga over Thanksgiving weekend last year.
Pours a cloudy brown with ruby highlights.
Aroma of warm banana bread, raisins and pumpkin pie.
Huge thick and malty mouthfeel, nice tight carbonation.
Smooth and warming finish.
Probably the best Bock I've Had.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

This has been a wheat clincher in my frig for fifteen years. It's the brew I always turn to as the grand finale to a Weizen afternoon. You can't beat a heavy-on-the-alcohol malt assault after a couple (yeah sure) of standard Weizens. Seriously, this is a world class beer that sets the standard in this micro style (few attempt this quest.) Smooth as a Samui wave that glorys the arrival of a Thai evening, this purple-labeled bottle delivers satisfaction to the few that appreciate a beer well done, excellence accomplished by the same brewery that awards us with the exceptional Schneider Weisse. I'm clinched once again.

I've had a few,
Yes it's true.
Doppel my wheat,
Bock my brew.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a snifter at about 55 degrees.

A- Dark Amber. After the pour an inch and a half cream colored head formed which dissipated

S- sweet raisins, slightly fruity

T- exactly that, sweet raisin with an almost a bittersweet apple taste

M- slightly carbonated, extremely smooth, not smooth like a great stout but just goes down really nice the flavor tones sit on the tongue briefly

D- Great beer to just relax with. I could drink about 2 or 3 of these and be rather content.

I strongly suggest getting a few bottles of this. I will absolutely be purchasing more to cellar!

cheers.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A - pours a nice coppery brown with a cloudy, thick he's that leaves tons of lacing.

S - Spicy phenols are the most noticeable scent followed by bananas and a chocolatey caramel sweetness.

T - Tastes of clove, coriander, nutmeg, and bananas followed by chocolate and vanilla. Very complex: there are hints of roasted nuts and a balanced wheaty flavor. The hops add a crisp zing in the finish.

M - Feels smooth but rich in the mouth. Definitely not too thick and not too thin. The carbonation is very nice.

O - A classic! A must try for beer lovers everywhere. Definitely in my top five favorite German beers.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice pour with medium head. Cloudy amber and copper color.

S: fruity banana esters, ancient spice and malt. Maybe a little clove. Smells like a pefect October comfort beer.

T: Perfect Octoberfest fall beer. Complex mixture of fruit, spice, mal and even bread. Nice carbonated mouthfeel.

O: This is a great beer plain and simple. Love the mixture of all of the flavors.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lovely beer. A little sweet overall, if anything for me the sweetness does take away other possible elements. The look is off putting (muddy water), however, that could be to my poor handling, there is a huge amount of trub in the bottom of the bottle. Whilst this isn't a problem for me, as I'm more interested in taste, I'm sure some people will be put off.

Overall exceptional and well worth looking out.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a bottle

the color as if I poured molten caramel into a bottle with light carbonation, 1-2 cm head

smell - caramel- orangish

taste - this beer surprised me in its overall complexity of flavor, it starts with a sorta doppelbock like taste - earthy, yeasty but ends with a decidedly strong clove finish and aftertaste, as it warmed, the clove sensation dominated - which added to the complexity, because I feel like it brought out more citrus elements as it warmed

mouthfeel - moderate amount of carbonation, smooth as silk however

Overall - beautiful beer, more complexity to taste than I would have imagined, a pleasure to drink for any occasion, the kind of beer that should be reserved for special company

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours to a plum colored amber with a finger thick head that dissipates quickly. Smells of wheat and hmmm grapes, plums or prunes, not sure.

Taste definitely was prunes I think, with wheat and a bit of alcohol in the background. Finish was a chocolate covered clove leaf.

Swishing about the mouth brings out the suds and alcohol taste, a light and frothy feel.

Drinkability is good but the alcohol content is a bit high for a session beer.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice dark brown color and white head. Head leaves very quickly and provides an easy to drink well carbonated beer. Enough about the feel, color and smell! What a great beer! Get some german cheese, some crackers and have at it. This one will always have a shelf in my fridge. I love it and think that it goes very well with German food. It just tastes like Germany. Enjoy!

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Another wonderful brew from Schneider... Rich colouring, Beautiful head! Cloves and pepper with a slight amount of bannana on the nose. Taste was one of raisons and a slight choc/toffee flavour, this kept developing as the beers temperature changed until fruity bannana became evident in the taste as well as aroma.

A very drinkable beer, I would be happy with glass after glass.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to many positive recommendations on Beer Advocate I sought out this incredible beer. I've never had a doppelbock than grabbed my attention like this one! We were at a German bier stubbe in the Chicagoland area enjoying various schnitzel dishes, when I saw Aventinus on their beer menu. Remembering my Beer Advocate recommendation on this beer, I suggested we order a round. WOW, we weren't dissapointed!

A: Dark ruby, cloudy when held to the light. The vision is that of a deep robust beer. The head is outstanding, thick & creamy full of frothy goodness.
S: The variety of aromas coming from the glass made me ponder for minutes all that assailed my senses. Raisin, clove, oatmeal with many overtones as the carbonation tickled my nose.
T: Smooth and flavorful with many different tastes on my palate. Sheer enjoyment as I savored each sip. Carmel and raisin were predominate, but there was a toasty aftertaste that I really enjoyed. Just a wonderfully complex beer that treats your senses on every level.
M: Silky smooth, creamy, with a wonderful afterglow of warm alcohol tingling your palate. Not overbearing mind you, but you know it's there.
D: At 8% I'm sure a couple of these would have you mellowed out in a hurry. Very drinkable, not heavy, but this is a potent brew and after 2 pints I could feel the kick. But I loved it.

If you like doppelbocks or hearty brews with big chartacter, give Aventinus a try. It's a great beer.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours chocolately-brown and cloudy--looks just like a dark, unflitered wheat beer. Respectable head that settles down to a thick, bubbly layer over my beer. It smells rich and creamy, and the smell displays more of the German wheat beer characteristics than the taste actually does. Smells distinctly of bananas and cloves. The taste is mild and somewhat constricted, but really very good and it tastes like a classic, which I suppose it is. Definitely a good beer to watch out for and to try, at least once, on a warm summer night on the patio of your favorite beer bar.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

500 ml bottle, pours a copper brown. almost the color of a deeep honey with amber hues. a very light brown or cream fluffy head that dissipates nicely. well carbonated.

smells like german malts and yeast. wheaty as well. some caramel in it as well.

as i said early, well carbonated. with a crisp "snap crackle and pop" feel to it. full body for sure. doesn't feel to syrupy, more viscous than i thought. As I got down to the bottom a spicy flavor started to emerge as well. I have no idea where they are hiding the 8.2% because I can't taste it at all!

Wow. great brew. I'm going to a german restaurant tomorrow night for a boot of one of these.

cheers

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 500ml Euro style bottle, into a Unibroue tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark murky brown, with about 2-3 fingers worth of off-white head, that disipates rather quickly, but leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Tons of dark fruits; plums, raisins, figs. A nice healthy dose of a biscuity malt character follows the fruits.

Taste: Similar to the smell, with the dark fruit flavors coming though staring at the beginning, with the sweet bready malts coming in to round things out a bit at the end.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick, though it still has a nice crisp, clean finish, that keeps you wanting more.

Overall: Very good brew. Never had a Wheat Dopplebock before, but this one stands up to the best Dopplebocks I've had. Very sweet, but not cloyingly so, just a very well balanced high gravity brew.

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Having this beer on tap, in it's own glass, is a special event. It's a tall glass, slim at bottom and quite wide at top. My favorite style of beer is a Weizenbock, and as you would expect I enjoy the slight sweetness and maltiness of this beer. It really deserves a place among beers such as Chimay Bleu, Westvleteren, Rochefort as an amazing beer that has withstood the test of time. Schneider brews some damn good stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer pours a nice deep brown. This beer didn’t have much in the way of head, most other times I’ve had this beer I've gotten a nice layer of creamy head. The aromas are of fruit and caramel, but a hint of cloves can be picked up. This is defiantly a full-bodied beer. Chocolate and cloves dominate the flavor. I absolutely love this beer and it is a staple in my beer diet. Drinking more than 3 of these would bring me to my knees. The alcohol is not as present as some other beers that I have drank with similar alc./vol.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A dark 'n delicious beauty of a beer! Boasting an incredibly rich, nutty flavor with strong hints of spice - cinnamon and clove come immediately to my senses. With a sweet aroma and a silken mouthfeel akin to what might be a sort of liquid velvet, the thick and longevitous head comprised of fine bubbles tops off what is one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to experience. So spicy she is that this would not be a beer I drink in robust quantity, rather one to savor and let linger on the palate while the ripe fruity scents waft up to the nose and prelude the slightly bitter, ever so smooth finish fit for kings.