Join our email list →

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Germany | website

Weizenbock | 8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,075 | Hads: 4,265
4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A dark 'n delicious beauty of a beer! Boasting an incredibly rich, nutty flavor with strong hints of spice - cinnamon and clove come immediately to my senses. With a sweet aroma and a silken mouthfeel akin to what might be a sort of liquid velvet, the thick and longevitous head comprised of fine bubbles tops off what is one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to experience. So spicy she is that this would not be a beer I drink in robust quantity, rather one to savor and let linger on the palate while the ripe fruity scents waft up to the nose and prelude the slightly bitter, ever so smooth finish fit for kings.

3.3/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Amber and clear with light beige quite persistent and quite fine foam.

S - The aroma is the tipical one of weizen beers: banana and clove. But it's not so fine. Also a little of roasted.

T - A good body and a good level of alcohol are mixed with the banana flavour.

M - Very sweet with low bitterness. So fine for the style.

D - The high level of alcohol comes out soon and, with the consistent body, makes this beer not so drinkable.

Good old Aventinus. Strange beer it is to me. When I first tried it I despised it, but like Orval, I kept coming back to it and now it's at the top of my list. Pours a beautiful mahogany with a big foamy, fizzy head. Smells of chocolate cherrys, and other unidentifiable fruits. Wonderful aromas are coming off of this that I just can't put my finger on. Smooth, smooth, smooth for something of this alcohol content. Instantly refreshing, yet at the same time, rich with flavour. Dark fruits and milk chocolate are all over this. The yeast assaults you with a million unidentifiable fruit flavours. The closest I can come is bananas, red delicious apples and cherries. Finishes with a slight, and I MEAN slight chocolately aftertaste. This is one of God's nectars and if Schneider and Sohn ever decide to stop making it they better start watching their backs! :)

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Was poured a sample from draft on the recommendation of the bartender (I asked for something bold and/or extreme).

Poured a light caramel color with a big foamy head. One sip and I was blown away. The big head gives way to a blast of banana aroma and flavor. The fruitiness is complemented by a distinctive toffee/caramel sweetness. This beer melts in your mouth. The finish is sweet with a trace of alcohol, just enough to let you know you're drinking a beer and not a dessert from iron chef.

Fantastic beer.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into weizen glass.

Appearance- A hazy reddy brown with a beautiful 3-4 finger off white head with a combination of large and small bubbles

Smell- I get lots of banana, bready yeasty sweetness, caramel malts and a tinge of alcohol with some spiciness (clove or allspice?) in particular.

Taste- Taste is bready, with lots caramel malts, and lots of spiciness (clove, nutmeg). Also, there are some dark fruits and a little bit of alcohol; the alchohol is very well hidden though. Awesome flavour overall. Also, banana flavour is present, but it does not stand over and above the other flavours, rather it is a part of the broader sweet bready profile that dominates the beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation, and somewhat sticky. Coats the mouth quite well.

Drinkability- Not a session beer, but one to enjoy after supper on a cold winter evening.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

This brew has an insane amount of frothy light head.
Color is a chalky dark amber that lets no light through.
Smell is of very strong oak and yeast.
The taste is extremely rich. It has dark malts and fruity after thoughts. An interesting combo, and a nice sipper.

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Strong raisins. Nice and hearty and bitter, but not my kind of beer. Gives me a little bit of rye and pumperknickel. It's a darker brown, and some sweetness left over. If I did not read the label, I'd guess the alcohol content ain't low either. Solid, but I don't know enough about darker german beers to give anything definitive.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

This is a fantastic brew!

It poured a beautiful hazy medium orange with a very impressive head that outlasted the brew.

The scent coming off this beer was a medium sweet banana clove with some alcohol, though less than expected considering ABV.

It tasted like it smelled... malty banana with some clove and other fruits (apricot?). No noticeable hops. Clean and refreshing with minor alcohol taste.

Full of flavor and truly a joy to drink. If it weren't $4-5 a bottle, I'd drink it much more often!

Get some!

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Been drinking nothing but dipa's ris's and all that crazy stuff latley so its time for a change!

The beer pours with a light amber base that gets progressively darker as it reaches it's perfect white head.

Smells like a bastard child of la folie and ayinger doppelbock absolutley heaven

The taste has less sour tones than the smell would lead you to beleive however the over powering sweetness that is present in some doppelbocks is much more controlled here.

The mouthfeel has some initial carbonation but is very smooth overall not ten fidy smooth but this isnt exactly ten fidy now is it.

Drinks very well for the abv and the style probably couldnt do more than a few bombers without being on my ass but amazing never the less

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

This is an astonishing and quite unique beer. Will, without a doubt, be a permanent addition to my buying patterns.
On first pour, this is a deep, dark, cloudy and chocolatey brown. The head is dense that (slowly) fades to a creamy and sticky lace. Aromas are predominately fruit esthers with a strong burnt sugar and alcohol underpinning. Oddly enough, there is a nice tropical spice aroma that lurks under it all.
Initial taste shows a bright and snappy carbonation with noticable alcohol and a nice, tropical-seeming, spice and caramel flavor. The mouth feel is super creamy but a bit too "sticky" to be truly excellent (IMHO). Finish has excellent wheat and yeast flavors with a final blast of crisp fruit/alchohol.
This is an outrageous beer. To my taste and in my experience the best of its type.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

A - 500 ml serving pours muskeg (Alaskan for peat bog) water brown with a lot of fizzy cream soda head that all but disappears; if you let it sit and warm awhile it takes on a bit of a 'brandy in a snifter' quality. Second pour produces an opaque fog.

S - Banana bread, wheat and pleasant pure alcoholic nose...raisins & big cloves; doughier on second, swirled pour.

T - More bananas, more bread, malt, roasted grain, raisins, dominating cloves...walnuts; mild, waltzing alcohol. To say that this is a beer with flavor would be to say that the Marianas Trench is deep. Swirling bottom contents on second pour infuses yeast and dough.

M - Smooth but not too viscous, carbonation persistent, slightly astringent; if left to sit and warm it takes on a bit of a 'brandy in a snifter' quality; second cloudy pour is more viscous, less astringent than 'slightly astringent'.

D - Worth a few numbers around the dance floor until you need to take a cab home; this girl can dance.

I'm glad I can finally leave a review of Aventinus, a brew I found in Germany a year ago and have managed to enjoy often since then.

Served in a 1 pint plus .9 fl. oz. bottle, no freshness date marked.

A: Pours a nice, deep brown. Good sized tan head with nice lacing. Pretty much clear, with some slight clouding.

S: Has an undoubtedly alcoholic scent, along with notes of clove, fruit and banana.

T: Wow. I've heard more than one reviewer call Aventinus "The Nectar of the Gods" and I couldn't agree more. Starts off sweet with a little bit of fruity tang, plus some slight caramel flavors. Finishes more with clove and an alcoholic taste.

M: For the most part, heavy and creamy... though there is paradoxally a crispness to the beer as well. Incredibly pleasant warming alcohol feel as well.

D: I would only suggest one or two of these in a night, but that doesn't mean that the beer has low drinkability. Rather, I could happily have Aventinus every night.

Notes: A golden standard for the Weizenbock, and for quality brewing in general. Probably as close to a perfect beer as can be found on earth.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this one on tap in Atlantic City.
The color was Dark red/brown, looked very nice poured into it's own Aventinus glass. THe smell was of clove and possible wheat malt maybe banana.
Nice full head that was full-bodied with a hint of caramel.

I had about 15 to taste this night and this by far was my favorite.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

First, let me warn you: this is one super carbonated beer. As soon as I popped off the bottle cap the head began to rise inside the bottle and I quickly had to grab my glass to save myself from a mess. So, consider yourself warned.

Appearance: Poured out of a 500 ml (16.9 ounces my calculator tells me) bottle into a Paulaner weizen glass. This beer pours a very dark golden brown color with an enormous off-white head. Once I swirl the remainder of the beer inside the bottle and add it to my glass a heavy amount of yeast sediment can be seen floating in the beer. Holding this beer up to a light reveals an absolutely insane amount of carbonation bubble rising from the bottom of the glass, and it reminds me of those thermal vents on the ocean floor you see videos of. The head looks very soft and pillowy and lingers for a long time, but surprisingly leaves no lace on the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer showcases its very strong phenol aroma with bananas and apples being the most prominent. There is also a strong clove presence, along with hints of crystal malts and light brown sugar. The nose is fairly reminiscent of spiced apple cider, but with a much stronger malt presence.

Taste: This beer starts off with a strong amount of sweetness and yeasty, bready, malty flavors; moves to a complex fruitiness and spiciness; then fades to a rich, syrupy sweetness at the end intertwined with a moderate amount of alcohol flavor. Along the way there are notes of banana, clove, and vanilla, along with a slight hint of chocolate from the malts. The finish brings the clove phenols to the forefront, along with a pleasant warming effect from the alcohol. The spiciness and warmth of the finish would make this a good winter beer for when you're sitting in front of a fire.

Mouthfeel: This beer is medium bodied with a good amount of creaminess and carbonation. Unlike some of the other reviews, however, I don't think this beer is too carbonated for the style or too carbonated to adversely affect the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Despite the fact that the alcohol is faintly present in the finish it is in no way overpowering, and this is one highly drinkable beer. This beer has all the drinkability of a good Dunkleweisse but a much stronger malt flavor. All of this adds up to make for one great beer.

Notes: BJCP history for this style tells me that "Aventinus, the world's oldest top-fermented wheat doppelbock, was created in 1907 at the Weisse Brauhaus in Munich using the 'Méthode Champenoise' with fresh yeast sediment on the bottom. It was Schneider's creative response to bottom-fermenting doppelbocks that developed a strong following during these times", and I feel blessed to be able to drink "the original". Whether or not that means this is the best is up for debate, but only time (and me drinking more Weizenbocks) will tell. If you're a big fan of wheat beers or of any of the similar styles, be sure to give this one a try.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

A - Dark and Hazy with a 2 finger beige/white head that leaves no lacing.

S - Fruits, some banana, wheat and some alcohol.

T - Spices, Bananas and some fruits, some burned malt flavor appears halfway in and a little bit of alcohol.

M- Medium body with really sharp carbonation and some "warmth" from the alcohol makes a really pleasant experience.

D - Great beer that makes you want to take one more.

Serving: Bottle in a Weissbier glass.

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

One of my first beers of this type. Hard to forget.

Once I liked it extremely for the exciting taste.

Now, it is a bit too sweet for me. Only when it is very cold outside, just one bottle of this is perfect.

The aroma is crazy. Very intense banana and clove. Additional very strong sweet malty aroma.

The taste is very intense and sweet.

Due to high abv. and sugar content it gets fast to the head.

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a pilsner glass. The amber brown liquid produced a nice tight head. The smell of malt and mature fruit is the first introduction to this brew. Smells sweeter than the taste which has some spice and yeast/malt bread like quality. Now the strange part, I detect a char grill on the finish. I'm not so sure I'm crazy about this one. The general consciences would have me believe I may have gotten an "off-bottle". I'll have to try this beer again in the future.

Appearance: big dense white head and opaque dark brown body.

Aroma: big clove with wheat graininess and a bit of banana.

Taste: lots of clove and banana with sweet malt blending well with some indistinct fruity notes. A slight tartness in the aftertaste. Low hopping serves to balance - no bitterness detectable.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy, despite a medium-high level of carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall: awesomely delicious! This is a new addition to my top five beers list. Perfection.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a pint + 6 oz. bottle with the yeast. A deep mahogany color with a nice tan head that fades but never disappears. Smell is sweet and estery, with a hint of alcohol. The taste is malty and bright. Hints of traditional weizen flavors like clove and yeast, with a strong malty undertone. The alcohol flavor is not nearly as strong as I expected, but it's definitely there. Nice fruity flavors and a pleasant carbonation make the beer seem lighter than it is. A nice clean taste and feel in the mouth. Very smooth and drinkable, but it sneaks up on you.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

The first weizenbock I've ever had, and my god is this one great.

Poured out of the 500mL bottle into a weizen glass. This is taking forever to pour. I'm waiting patiently.

A - A light brown (maybe dark orange?) color with a HUGE head full of tiny bubbles. I've heard alot about this one, and it's lookin pretty serious.

S - Caramel, cloves, some toasted malts and tons of highly sweetened fruits.

T - I've had tons of wheat beers, tons of weizens, and quite a few doppel bocks. I've never had anything like this. Put it this way - take every thing you like about your favorite wheat beer, add in everything you like about your favorite dunkel or doppel, and kick it all up to 8.2% abv - it's amazing.

M - Lightly carbonated, but sooo smooth and rewarding. It seems to melt on your tongue like a perfectly cooked steak. It then leaves you with sweet sugary aftertastes. You really can't even tell how hot (alcohol wise) this beer really is. Simply fantastic.

D - I'm getting close to the end of the bottle, and I don't really know how many more of these I could tangle with. I feel like I could really enjoy this bottle in a quick manner - but no matter how great it tastes, you don't want to drink more than one.

I'd almost compare this to a desert wine - it's something that tastes extremely good, has some sweetness, but not something you're really want to "over do it" with.

Again, I simply can't stress how fine of an effort this beer is. Has to be the best German beer I've ever tasted, and I can't imagine anything in the future tasting any better than this.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

"Germany's original Wheat-Doppelbock Ale" on the label. I used to think that bock implied lager, but now I know otherwise. I have heard wonderful things about this beer and so I am curious; it's supposed to be the ultimate in wheat beers. We shall see if it lives up to this claim.

Look - Poured into a weizen glass a cloudy brown, maple syrup like color. Thick off white head as is typical for wheat beers.

Nose - The scent of clove is very intense. Bananna goodness is there as well. Deep chocolate sweetness...alcohol is their but doesn't completely dominate the situation.

Taste - This is the clove and bananna bomb to end all clove and bananna bombs! Next I'm blasted by a rich maltiness that I have not noticed in wheat beers before. Chocolate is here but it is balanced by bitterness of hops, alcohol, and clove spiciness. I can see also why some say that this tastes like bubblegum; there is a definite bubblegum flavor there but it is not bad at all. I like to think of it as chocolate covered bananna. To sum this all up it as though there is a war being waged between wheat, malt, and yeast that created a symphony of complex goodness that rivals Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. If I haven't sung the praises of this enough I will say that this beer has done the unthinkable and combined my two favorite types of beer: wheat and doppelbock. Very nice tasting and something that I will be returning to.

All of this being said I can see why some beer drinker's might not care for it much. If there is a beer spectrum that stretches from hoppy on end (IPA) to malty on the other, Aventinus would be representative of the malty side...so hopheads beware.

As I sip further I am starting to feel the warming effects of the relatively high, 8.2%, alcohol. This will be a nice beer to bring to my family's Xmas gathering to keep warm and to endure their idiotic banter.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

It pours a cloudy brown, with a nice tan head to it. It has an excellent aroma of ripe plum and other fruity esters, along with some light phenols and cloves. there is some light wheat and hop spiciness in the background as well. Very nice.

It is extremely creamy and delicious. A nice fruitiness full of plum and banana open it up, followed by some nice phenols and cloves backed with some nice alcohol, which really works to enhance everything. As it warms the wheat begins to become noticable, as well as what tastes like some very light roast. Throughout the drinking experience the carbonation is lively and wonderful. Definitely an excellent beer.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pretty dark and cloudy -- muddy.

Smell: Very fruity -- raisins and dried, dense fruits really come through.

Taste: Great! Very complex with lots of wonderful fruit tastes. This paired with the wheat makes a sweet and fruity pair.

Drinkability: Take it slow with this one. But for how much flavor it has -- it's very doable. With how much comes in one bottle (500mL ?), you'll only need one.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A: pours a generous off white three finger head that if done right you can get it above to rim of the glass. An opaque mild brown/red/orange it's pretty hard to define. A rocky head resists dissipation for the first half of the glass.
S: spicy yeast, banana, and some darker malts come through.
T: very smooth banana comes forward followed by yeasty spice. The sweetness of the malts rounds it out. some chocolate might be coming through from these darker malts.
M/D: mouthfeel is moderate and the carbonation that created such a huge head is gentle and smooth throughout. Alcohol is almost not apparent at all. There is a reason this beer has such good ratings.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Served from a 500ml brown bottle.

Appearance: Dark murky brown with a nice tan head.

Smell: Juicy fruit and caramel smell. Some wheat spice is also noticeable.

Taste: Fruity and spicy with some decent sweetness and little in terms of hops. A bit grainy on the end. Tasty.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a pretty high carbonation that enhances the bite from the wheat spice.

Impressions: Tasty and refreshing despite the high alcohol content.