Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser AventinusSchneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Formerly Schneider Aventinus.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,047 | Hads: 4,119
4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

This is the perfect beer for a meal, imho. Wheat with some serious flavor, excellent aftertaste, and authentic dipole bock feel. Will definitely be grabbin another soon. (169 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

As the bar maid was bringing this brew to us, it almost appeared as though it was 1/2 liter of purple liquid with a giant fluffy white head on top. As it got closer, I realized it was merely a deep ruby color, but what a color it was. The locals at the table tried their hand at English with us, giving us the warning that this beer was not for amateurs. Taking a sniff, you could tell this beer was in the 8% range. Pretty alcohol smelling. As I took the first sip, my worries of it tasting like pure alcohol were put to ease. While there was a bit of an alcohol taste, there was plenty of malt here to balance that out. A bit of a clove taste followed it as well. It was a lot crisper than I was expecting. Definitely a refreshing bock to take down mid day. (759 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into my Weizen glass from a 500mL bottle after going into the fridge for 20 mins because my cellar is running warmer then the recommended serving temp.

A: Very lively looking beer. Blood orange to copper coloured murky beer with a three inch rocky off white head which subsides very quickly into a thin 1/8 inch head which is maintained due to the strong carbonation.

S: Wow did I just open a beer or a package of bubble gum? Big bubble gum presence right off the bat with banana notes in the background. Also some very sweet orange chocolate in the background. There is also alot of yeast in the nose.

T: Again the bubble gum is right there upfront. Actually, all of the scents I mentioned above are present in the taste. There is also some more estery flavours there as well as spiciness.

M: Medium to heavy carbonation with medium body. Although the carbonation is heavy the beer is surprisingly and pleasantly quite smooth.

D: Some alcohol makes its way through in the taste which slightly hurt the drinkability of this beer. Also at 8.2% I'm probably only going to have one. However, the beer has a great smell, an equally great taste and an excellent mouthfeel.

Overall an excellent beer. Still a little bit of heat present after one year of cellaring. I've got a few more in the cellar which will be tasted a few years from now. Cheers everyone! (1,371 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

appearance- Ok so we got a murky brown color with a white 3 finger head. Looks like a Belgian quad essentially

smell- Smells great. I get grape bubblegum,orange,yeast,banana,clove and slight alcohol

taste- It actually does taste similar to a quad. I get spice up front with that clove and bubblegum flavor with a slight alcohol burn at the end.

The mouthfeel is medium with medium to high carbonation

Overall- This was a great beer. Definitely my favorite German beer that i have sampled. VERY cheap price at $3 for a 500 ml bottle in Alberta which is a awesome price. (573 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark brown,,, with a nice tan head. Yeat swirls around the glass. a very attractive beer.the beer just smells yummy. Chocolate, malty, cloves. It tastes just as good as it smells. This is without a doubt one of the finest German beer offerings. Very high drikability. It hides it's strength well. (314 characters)

I generally try to refrain from reviewing beers that I know I love, beers that make me salivate at the mere mention of them, but sometimes I make an exception and post a completely biased and unscientific review of a beer I think is perfect. This is one of those beers.

A: A beautiful dark mahogany (I've seen Mercedes-Benz this color) that lets almost no light through. In an Aventinus glass this beer is a piece of artwork. The head comes up and over the rim of the glass and just hovers there before settling down and leaving a constant white outline on the top of the beer. I love the way the yeast creates mini-clouds inside of the beer after the initial pour before dispersing evenly throughout the beer.

S: Aventinus as the banana and clove that you'd find in a lesser weizen, but it also has hints of chocolate and dark fruits that are not only surprising to find in a weizen, but also exceptional for more traditional bocks and doppelbocks.

T: So good. I need to have a few of these on hand at all times, but I never have more than one or two a month. It is a beer that is too good to be consumed everyday. It needs to be savored and reserved for special occasions. The same dark fruit and chocolate flavors melt over the malty yeastyness that would be found in other weizens. There is a sweetness that comes out as the beer warms, but it is perfectly balanced by the hops.

M: I actually prefer the mouthfeel of Hefeweizens and Dunkelweizens to this, but it is still a wonderful thing to hold in my mouth. There is a subtle sting at the back of my throat, but otherwise this beer goes down perfectly. This is dessert in a glass.

D: Oh God does this beer go down smooth. If it wasn't for the 8%+ abv and the $4+ price tag I'd probably find more "special occasions" to enjoy this beer. As it is I think Aventinus is a perfect beer and nothing will inhibit my drinking of it. (1,889 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer was even better than what I thought it would be. Poured just like any German wheat beer. It was exactly a said on the bottle wheat doppelbock. I would say this is cut down the middle all the goodness from a wheat beer and all the malty sweetness from a great doppelbock. Poured a dark brown almost soda looking. Very gassy like most German wheat beers. Very malty slightly sweet. tasting. Finish comes off cool and refreshing but with a little more heaviness that I found not too overpowering for the summer.

In all this is a beer that is among the best in my book. Definately in my top ten. (604 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Packaged in paper wrapper dated 2000

Pours a ruddy, milky brown with deep orange highlights. Minimal head with large carb bubbles

Raisins, apple, assorted citrus, molasses, a bit of brown sugar on the nose, buoyed by undercurrents of wheat, yeast and alcohol.

Thick and foamy on the tongue, goes down like cream

Fermented apple kick precedes sugary malt awash in mild alcohol substratum. Six years of age apparently suits this bad boy pretty well. Assertive dichotomy between the soured fruit and candied malt blends well without dissipating into bland inoffensive.

I can't really imagine tiring of this one too quickly, although that abv is liable to creep up on you. (683 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Bock poured a beautiful ruby/amber color with a plentiful head .Smells of sweet malt , caramel ,unripe plum and slight alcohol and delicious fruit .I couldn't wait to take a sip .So I didn't
It seemed rather light bodied for a doppelbock , then it warmed a little and wow .
All I can say is round , balanced . this beer seemed to be created whole , complex but with everything seamlessly interlocked . You can taste the wheat , and it belongs there. Bitterness ,not harsh .Almost unnoticible , slightly tannic finish . Too tasty .Too drinkable . I can get in trouble with this one . So .. (594 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20%

This hazy, brown beer poured with one of the liveliest heads I've ever seen (though it then settled down and left only the slightest trace of lacing). A spicy, cinnamon aroma, along with a peculiar sweetness I associate with canned corn dominate the nose and taste. The relatively high alcohol content also contributes to the flavor; I definitely welcomed those esters for adding an additional dimension to the otherwise clobbering maltyness. To that end, I found that a few bites of dark chocolate brought out a crispness that I might have otherwise overlooked. Overall, a bit of a heavier brew than I usually care for, but definitely worth experiencing. (655 characters)

One of those "perfect" brews you encounter. Fruity yeasty punch to the face with a subtle alcohol ester present and creamy lingering head. Drank this beer with some foie gras spread on a crusty sourdough resulting in a delicious paring, perfect on a warm overcast day. (268 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a wonderful experience to enjoy this masterpiece of brewing art! I was lucky enough to sample a bottle of 1999 vintage Aventinus at the Olney Ale House in Olney, MD (more about them in the Beerfly section). I must say that this is one of the finest winter warmers or dessert beers that I have ever tasted. It pours with a deep opaque body with garnet undertones and is topped by a dense beige head that demands you to taste this beer. And oh what a taste it is! Starting with the ripe, fruity nose of plums and cloves that hints at the taste to follow. A velety mouthful of warm, fresh baked bread with definite chocolate undertones. Despite its high alcohol level, there is an almost indistiguishable amount of alcoholic bite. The beer lingers on the back of the palate with a hint of toffee and clove spiciness that perfectly balance the tast of this marvel. This beer is truly a maltsters dream!

Prosit! (914 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer is dark amber in color. It poured with a very nice head that persisted for 5 minutes after pouring. With the yeast swirled into the beer, it's impossible to see through the beer to the other side. The aroma is sweet and clove-like but with a strange ester in the background that reminds me of bacon slightly. The taste is brilliant with The mouthfeel is coating and washes away gently. As far as drinkability, this beer just keeps going on and on. This is one of the truly great beers in the world. (507 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Man,this was an outstanding find...I picked it up not expecting much,mainly because I prefer Stouts,and to my surprise I was astounded.This is exceptional in everyway,even the price was decent.I tastes,looks,and smells great.The alcohol content was enough to make both easy to drink and easy to get a buzz on,with just two or three.I will most certainly be buying this one again...soon. (386 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

I picked this one up with a bunch of Weissbier. I admit it was my fault for not reading the lable and I assumed it was going to be like the other but I was wrong. To be honest I didn't really enjoy this beer all that much the flavours were just to intense for me and I found that each drink of the glass was just to much information for my taste buds to process. Also I think the higher alcohol content may be why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Pour into a glass. Really interesting dark colour, found that it had a thicker feeling in the mouth but not creamy. I wouldn't buy again for a few years until I can train my self on Dopplebock. (635 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At first glance, it can be said that it has the exact tone of apple cider. The head is extremely uniform, sticking together to create a thin but consistent layer on the surface. Also, it has to be noted that there is a coat of yeast on the bottom as well as very tiny chunks floating around in the beer, something typical for a bottle fermenting beer.

The smell is good and has an array of flavors; it's obvious that this is a very complex drink. A starchy plantain scent is identifiable but everything else is as hazy as the color of the beer to me.

The creamy texture held my tongue a prisoner - and I had no issues with that. Caramel, fruits (citrus and a hint of grapes), cloves, and the wheat found in Belgian styles turned slid into my stomach with glee. And to top it off, although it's not that heavy, it's weighted and it definitely hits you where you want it to.

Overall, this beer was really good. The taste is extremely unwavering, which makes this a very approachable drink for almost anyone. Most importantly, it's not extreme in any sense of the word. (1,069 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I Have not had to many bock beers, but this beer is quite good.

poured a dark brown with a nice lacey head. has a full malt\fruty smell that comes through in th taste.with the higher abv i doubt i will be drinking too many in one sitting. but at has a nice body and a all around very nice beer. (297 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Perhaps the finest German beer I can buy bottled in Austin...who doesn't need to have an exceptional beer handy for those special occasions?
O.K.
I'm drinking this side-by-side with my second most favorite beer in the world...a bottled Andechs Dopplebock (my favorite is the draft dopplebock from the monastery in Bavaria).
The smell is wonderful...
The head's still there after 20 minutes...
I'm savouring the comparison...making it last. The head's still there...
The banana-rum bread description just before this one is very fitting. Throw in some raisons and maple syrup and you have it a bit closer....very sweet. VEEERY LOOOONNGGGG mouthfeel....as long as it gets with any beer I've ever had.
It's a wonderful thing...the only reason I don't drink it more regularly is to keep trying other beers and because beer drinkin' is like wearing clothes...how often do you wear your favorite shirt?
Anyone who loves rich alcohol-laden and flavor packed beers must try an Aventinus. You will not regret it, even if you don't love it as much as I. (1,053 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%

I picked up a pint of this the other day from the Liquor Station because I needed a single and I thought I'd try something good. It was good, no doubt. One of the best I've had in a long time. But is it worth being one of the few 90+ brewskis on BA? Lower eighties would be insulting. Upper eighties, I'll give it that. But is this what an "A" is supposed to be?

While pouring it a thick head consumed my glass, leaving me with a glass that was 3/4 head and 1/4 beer. I thought, "Oh no, I'm gonna have to wait 5 minutes for this head to go down," but to my surprise it went away fairly quickly. The head was not what I was used to, and the awkwardness took away from the experience.

It had a creamy texture, sort of like Guinness, and tasted like a mix of fruit and chocolate. And seeing as it was up around 8% ABV I was surprised I couldn't taste a hint of alcohol.

A pleasing, but only slightly above average aftertaste also left this beer below perfection in my opinion.

Definately a high quality beer, no doubt, no question about it. If I gave it a rating though, I'd probably give it an 88. It was good, but as the first 90+ rated beer I've had, I have yet to be blown away. (1,191 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a dark brown with huge head. Leaves wonderful lacing. Smelll is full of malt and wheat sweetness. The taste has hints of fruit and even some chocolate. There is a large amount of sweetness in the taste but I think it makes this a really nice drink. The mouthfeel has lots of body. This was the beer that I drink when I want something familar but I always enjoy having one. Also had on draught which is excellent. (418 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

This beer is one of the most complex I've ever tasted. It is a very dark beer, almost no light can be seen through it. The smell reminds me of various fruits, but I can't peg one. The taste was similar, it was a wave of flavor. The mouthfeel and drinkability were okay; the beer was a bit heavy for my tastes. I had to sip this beer slowly over the course of dinner to get it down.

I'm glad I tried it, I don't think I'll do it again though. (442 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Holy crap, this stuff is GOOOD!

Murky, rusty brown brew without a finger of coarse off-white head that stuck around for a little while, but persisted in a thin layer throughout the drinking privelege/experience. The smell is ripe fruit, mild alcohol, a bit of yeast, ripe fruit, and ripe fruit. The flavor unfolds in the mouth in a delightful way, starting with the obvious ripe fruit up front, then opening up to subtle yeast notes, followed by the warmth of alcohol. The wheat provides a great balance to the other bold flavors in this wonderful beer. The mouthfeel is damned nice: pretty smooth, maybe just a touch over-carbonated, but still very nice. The yeasty residue in the mouth is great, and is complimented by the warmth of the alcohol. It's easy to drink, particularly for something so big and bold.

This from a an american beer drinker who grudgingly admits to being a hop-head.

BUY THIS BEER.

Gods bless my wife for grabbing me something I've seen a million times, but never picked up. (1,004 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Just like the flagship Schneider Weisse, this is an all-around good and tasty Weizen with great ingredents and a great strain of yeast.

Smells like a Dunkelweizen on the nose, not overly pungent with malt and banana aroma, and in the mouth...it's much the same, only more intense and malty, with maybe a little too much alcohol taste.

This beer is the originator of its style, and, as such, is a standard in a small but exceptional selection of beers, but I'll get into raving about the characteristics I find in this beer when I have time to write a review on the Schneider Weisse. (584 characters)

How can i not love this one?

Fruity sweetness that leaves a sticky feeling on the lips...

A smell that cannot be denied ... Nice dark reddish brown

its just so good...kinda raisin like....with sugary fruits added...nothing specific

great for after dinner as a relaxer...the carbonation is really nice and feels good going down ...

went down nice and warm even though i let mine sit in the fridge for 2 days...

potent but not too potent 8.0%abv....just an all out beauty...

i couldnt ask for a better beer... unique and a real nice sipper

Bravo (567 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a dark, cloudy, beer. Good foam that forms a great head, good lace.
S:Fruty caramels, alcohol all around.
T:Syrupy.. almost chewy... alcohol... maybe rum...Hops... and sweet caramels that balance very well the alcohol.

Not comparable with weissbiers, more comparable with doppelbocks... strong character.
Elixir from the gods... you cant go to heaven if you havent tried this beer...
Cheers (398 characters)