Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser OriginalSchneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Formerly Schneider Weisse Original.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-03-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original Alström Bros
atpben

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Have had this beer on various occasions but recently at the Flying Saucer in Houston. Pouredc in a Schneider Hefe-weisse glass. Pours a cloudy light brown color with a nice inch long head. Bananas (which I love) and spices in the aroma. I love the taste of this beer. More banana, clove, light caramel and some light apple tast near the end. Pretty crisp and excellently balanced. Very easy to drink all day. One of my favorites of this style. A great summer beer.

04-16-2009 17:21:47 | More by atpben
cavedave

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a cloudy dark amber into my Kapuziner glass. Huge light beige head. Massive carbonation. Appears thick.

Smell is banana bread (in a good way), delicate florals, a bit of spiciness (cloves? coriander? cardamom?), mere suggestions of alcohol at the back of the very pleasant aroma.

Banana fades to background of the sip, which is a not-all-that-complex mixture of fruit, spice, and slightly sour, slightly sweet bread. Banana appears again in the spicy and herbal finish. Not complex, not a long finish, but a well balanced amalgam, and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it could be perfect for this style (which I am a neophyte at enjoying).

Drinkability is awesome. In summer this would be a great "all-day-er".

04-14-2009 16:54:56 | More by cavedave
ludachris

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a really nice deep caramel with a three finger rocky slightly off white head. Slowly boils down, really nice retention and decent lacing. This hefe looks very appetizing.
Usuall smell of banana, clove, citrus and some candied apple and bubble gum.
Banana and clove up front followed by a hint of candied apple and finishes off with a nice citrus touch that lingers. Can really taste the orange after licking my lips.
Mouthfeel is smooth but a little too dry and a bit too thin, but like most hefes I've had, this is very drinkable.

Overall, a nice hefe. Appearance is spectacular and the smell is nice. The let down was the beer's body, it seems to be lacking. A little too thin and a little too dry. This brew is nonetheless a great interpretation and would love to session some of these. Probably would buy again, just not that often.

04-07-2009 01:11:11 | More by ludachris
hustlesworth

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%

A- murky swampy burnt orang-ish tawny brown burnt sienna with yellow ocher highlights and a huge dense creamy ivory puff ball of a head. foam has miraculous staying power and leaves lots of thick blankets and swirls of lace, the best looking hefe i've seen in recent times. that means like the last several weeks.

S- toasty and meaty with a faint bit of sulphur thay may actually complement the rest of the aroma. bananas, cloves, blah blah yeast blah with sweet canned pears in syrup and red apples.

T- bubblegum wheat and yeast flavors mix with banana and very ripe plum. some spice flavors like fresh nutmeg, and a quick little bite of hops as it dries out some in the finish becoming toasty and full of fresh grainy flavors like Special K cereal. aftertaste of wheat bread, barley soup, and a light fruity apple tartness. very good.

MF- slick and effervesced with a plush wheat protein feel. very fine refreshing carbonation balances the body out completely.

D- this beer deserves a better rating in my opinion, a perfectly balanced example that looks great and drinks even better.

04-06-2009 20:40:49 | More by hustlesworth
UDbeernut

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

bottle poured into wheat glass

a: hazy pale straw yellow color. Nice thick head with excellent retention

s: yeast esters

t: wheat, yeast esters, clove, slightly peppery, excellent example of a Hefe

m&d: very drinkable beer. Light and perfect for summer.

Cheers!!

04-05-2009 13:57:09 | More by UDbeernut
01121987

Quebec (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -3%

hazy copper brown with a fine head that fades faster than i would have expected. also darker than your average hefe.
aroma is full of complex fruitiness. right on!
wheaty and estery fruitiness in the flavor. also right on!
mouthfeel is a little dry for my taste. more body would be much appreciated.
very drinkable, could be a session beer if it wasnt so expensive!
overall i think this beer could be better but who am i to say such a thing!

03-31-2009 23:17:37 | More by 01121987
UA8

Washington

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Oddly dark for a hefe pours muddy brone color with a bubbly white head.

S- Lots of cloves and spicy wheat notes. Twangy yeast notes also in there.

T- The spice notes lead the way with cloves, and a subtle hint of banana-y yeast. There's a medicinal note that kinda wander around on the palate through the beer.

M- A bit thin for my liking and the carbonation burns.

D- Wow kinda a let down after having some of their other excellent beers. I would pass on this one and gor for and aventinus or hopfen-weisse.

03-31-2009 21:58:44 | More by UA8
beerbuddah

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this at the LCBO in a 500ml bottle, poured it into a flute glass, because i don't yet have a weizen glass.

A - looks and golden color. lots of thick, foamy head when I poured it, but it dissipated in a few minutes. Lots of carbonation bubbles. aren't hefes supposed to be much lighter and more opaque?

S - smells great. I get hints of banana, as well as a sweet chocolaty smell.

T - very good. tastes like it smells. I taste bananas, and a bit of chocolate. The finish is clean and crisp, and the hint of cloves lingers. Absolutely no hint of the 5.6 ABV.

M - I like the mouthfeel, though it has quite a bit of carbonation. This could be because of the glassware.

D - Good. I could drink another of these.

Will be buying this beer again. It tastes great, and quite drinkable. Good for a nice summer day. I've got to find a weizen glass just for this beer.

03-29-2009 02:48:16 | More by beerbuddah
confer

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Murky gold with some brown. Lots of sediment in the bottle, a lot of swirling needed to get the yeast up and moving.

S- The aroma is sweet ripe bananas

T- The taste it true hefe. You can taste the cloves. It becomes sweeter as it warms.

D- An excellent Hefe. I could drink this all summer long. I also like the .5 liter bottles, just don't like the price

03-29-2009 02:31:06 | More by confer
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Draught into Weizen glass.

Pours a cloudy golden brown with a big, fluffy, long lasting white head.

Nose is banana and cloves, crisp wheat.

Taste matches nose - banana and clove underpin the crisp, light wheat body of the beer, with a slightly dry, clean finish with a hint of hop bitterness that doesn't linger on the palate at all. Fruity banana is less prominent than, say, Weihenstephaner.

Emminently drinkable, delicious and classic.

03-27-2009 12:41:06 | More by JohnQVegas
unclejimbay

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Schneider Weisse Hefeweizen
Reviewed @ Lüke, NO 3/20/09 lunch - draft>large SW signature wheat glass
A 4.5 - Dark golden honey in color, respectable head, excellent lace and retention for entire beer.
S 4.5 - strong banana aroma evident, quickly followed by clove notes.
T 4.5 - excellent taste. Taste follows smell on a solid wheat base. Mild sweet finish.
MF 4.0 - medium body for a hefe, less carbonation than expected, but still delish!
D 4.5 - Excellent, this the first time I had this on draft, it surpassed my expectations.

The presentation on this brew was great. I had it at Lüke bar/restaurant in NOLA. They have a cool little bar, good food, and their own custom brews. Check them out on the web. I added them beeradvocate on 3/25/09.
Full-service bar featuring an extensive French, German, and Belgian beer selection, plus three exclusive house brews--custom-brewed locally: Lüke Fru (a very young beer, perfectly suited for the raw bar,) Lüke Export (a golden pilsner with a nose of Austrian hops,) and Lüke Alt (an aged pilsner in the Düsseldorf style, best for the menu's meatiest dishes).

03-25-2009 18:27:14 | More by unclejimbay
ironarrow42

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

I roused the yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle and poured out with the beer. Pours a very cloudy deep burnished gold-to-pale amber with a generous pillow of near-white foam that subsides to an 1/8" layer.

Aroma of pale malt with fruity (some banana & Juicy Fruit) & clovey notes. Very appetizing. Body on the lighter side of medium, lightly carbonated, with a smooth feel on the palate.

Classic heffie flavours - mild banana, clove, light vanilla & bubblegum notes, all over clean, pale malt. Mild bittering balances the beer, leading into a gently fading finish. Beautifully balanced and thirst quenching. Now all I need is a Brewers or Packers game and some brats!

03-22-2009 01:22:00 | More by ironarrow42
biegaman

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Darker than most typical German Weißbier, this combines curry and carrot for a lustrous, stunningly attractive look. To the light, it appears copper plated with a clean, well burnished complexion. The transparency is hindered only by the beer's deeper tones but that notwithstanding, is spotlessly clear. As standard for the style, a monstrous-sized white mountain of tightly packed suds rises from high above the surface; steady streams of bubbles ensure its tenure will be a long and healthy one.

I thought I was smelling a beer, not a banana. Whether you wish them served over vanilla ice cream or sliced into your morning cereal, the people at Schneider offer a variety of platter combination for how you can order your bananas. Whichever dish you chose, however, will most likely be accompanied with a tinge of lemon and one crack of fresh black pepper. Smells like good eating!

The beer is a little flat for the style. Another notch or so of carbonation could really imprint those nuances of spice and fruit into the palate - not to mention make the beer that much more refreshing. The anticipated mouthfeel of a grainy textured yet spicy and creamy full beer have been met only adequately. The esters responsible for all that banana character as well as the phenols that provided spice are considerably more subdued in taste.

As a matter of fact I'd say disappointingly so. There are still notes of fruits, spices, and cereal grains but they aren't as vivid or lively as I was led to expect. Weißbier typically doesn't travel well nor is it meant for aging; although I can't encrypt the production date I'd be willing to believe this bottle was at some point a whole lot tastier.

Which is the unfortunate thing about reviewing foreign beers. Posting reviews is all about creating a better culture for beer through education. A website such as beeradvocate.com is an invaluable resource for a consumer. Likewise, brewers can be recognized for their work, both with positive advertisement when good and constructive feedback when bad.

I know - especially from personal experience - that Weißbier is best when as fresh and close to the source as possible. What then to do about a beer like Schneider Weisse (the self proclaimed original wheat beer)? I like this beer a whole bunch - and I love it on hot days - but there's no doubt in my mind it's better had on German soil. So then, my recommendation to you would be to either buy the beer (cause you'll probably enjoy it) or go to Germany and visit the brewery (which you'll definitely enjoy).

03-08-2009 22:35:49 | More by biegaman
bobsy

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

We did a blind tasting of hefeweizens by Schneider, Weihenstephaner, Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr. Weihenstephaner was a clear winner, while the Hacker-Pschorr was the most disappointing of the bunch.

Bottle conditioned and courtesy of the LCBO. Burnished copper appearance, with a frothy white head. Far darker than a regular hefe. Wheat and banana pleasantly dominate the aroma, along with pear and spice. There's a lovely fresh wheat taste in a flavour which is accented with spices and yeastiness. Crisp finish and refreshing.

03-08-2009 19:15:34 | More by bobsy
thirdeye11

Poured from a 500ml bottle (16.9oz) into a tall wheat-style beer glass, this beer pours a huge 3 finger head that recedes quite slowly, but doesn't last throughout the entire drinking session. I left the last inch of beer, swirled it to get all the yeast in the bottom, and finished pouring. I purchased this yesterday during lunch when I was at a Central Market up in Plano that I normally don't frequent. This is a hefe I have wanted to try for a couple of months now and not been able to find until yesterday. I had to crack it last night.

A: This beer pours the darkest of all "hefeweizens" I have ever seen, and it is quite murky in appearance. I was somewhat turned off by the color, but the bubbles were abundant.

S: The smell was the most deceptive I have found in any wheat style yet. It took me a long time to figure out what I was smelling but I am positive I smelled dried dark fruits (figs, plums) in the foreground which I found very odd for a hefe style. I have never smelled this in the style. I also smelled pear up front, and believe it or not could also smell the alcohol here. The last element that took me a while to figure out was the bready yeast. I am used to this in Belgians, but not hefeweizens. Very surprising, and in a good way.

T: Absolutely loved the taste. While I smelled the dark dried fruits I also tasted more sourness for the style of hefeweizen than any previously. At first I was not sure I liked it, but after about half the bottle I was sure this is a rare and special treat. Very very good, and the aftertaste was downright awesome. The aftertaste stayed with me for a good 20 minutes after I finished the bottle and left me wanting more. Oddly though I could also taste the alcohol, and that surprised me at just under 5% as I typically drink beers 8% or higher and do not notice it as much as this one.

M: Very creamy, and perfectly carbonated this hefe may be the best feeling in my mouth of any I've had. I was quite impressed.

D: I don't think I would want more than 2 of the big 500ml bottles of this, but easily could drink and enjoy both of those. This is a great beer that i highly recommend.

Overall I was quite surprised by what I found in this beer, and would seek it out again. It is not my favorite hefeweizen, but it among the top tier of all I've had. Highly recommended if you want to try something different, and this one is called the original hefeweizen according to the label.

03-03-2009 14:38:17 | More by thirdeye11
gotweid

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

From a pint bottle into a traditional weizen glass it poured a hazy, slighly dark golden to amber color. She had a thick, foamy, bubbly white head that stayed quite a while then slowly dissipated. One could notice a decent amount of carbonation. Appearance is spot on for this style. Aroma of banana, clove and wheat are there, just like they should be. Taste of wheat and yeast is dominant. Mouthfeel is ever so smooth and refreshing, yet a little dry, not too wet. Hops are not dominant, which is true to style. Very drinkable and enjoyable. This is the best example of the style that I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

02-28-2009 03:52:07 | More by gotweid
bkilpatr

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a weizen glass. 02/22/09.

Pours a cloudy golden-brown color with nearly 2 and a half fingers of soft beige foam. The head receded slowly to a thin layer, minimal lacing and retention. Aroma is heavy with wheat and banana esters, orange peel, lemon, and clove.

Taste is strong with wheat and banana flavors. Lots of orange peel, green apple, and lemon zest join the mix. White pepper and clove linger in the background. Very pleasant taste with nice complexity.

Feel is medium bodied with crisp carbonation. Just a bit on the thin side. Very clean finish. Drinkability is very good, though it's slightly heavy. I'd easily enjoy a few of these in a sitting.

This is one of the best hefeweizens around. I highly recommend it.

02-23-2009 21:18:41 | More by bkilpatr
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

A- I don't mind sediment in my beer, but I don't know how to feel about chunky strings floating around. Hazy caramel-colored body and an OK head

S- Smell is what a real hefeweizen should be. Clove and banana esters from the yeast along with light wheat and orange scents from malts/hops. Slightly oxidized

T- Taste is very palatable and has alot of unique flavors that make it special. Hefeweizen flavors of sweet wheat, bitter hops, and sour yeast

M- The body has little consistency and carbonation is sparkly

D- Flavorful enough to drink by itself or pair with spiced foods

02-13-2009 03:29:20 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
dananabanana

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Orange, rust, slightly opaque. Head is thick, tan, almost white. Darker beer than I expected.

S: Very wheaty, pretty standard.

T: A little watery, but definite wheat flavor. Tastes a little aged. Banana, sort of citrus develops later.

M: Over carbonated, but refreshing.

D: Goes down light and easy, but might be a bit boring at the end.

02-09-2009 15:02:20 | More by dananabanana
roadhouse

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance is darker than usual for most hefeweizens, heck even some dunkelweizens, but it's quite good looking. Golden hues on the bottom leading into a orange-copper cloudy body. One inch off-whit head sits atop retained by a reverse blizzard of carbonation bubbles. A but of lacing.

Aroma is dominated by the wheat itself more than the esters, which seems unusual for a Hefeweizen. It's got a slight apple cider smell and a bit of the usual banana esters. Not much of the clove factor here.

Taste is very bready and grainy with the apple and banana esters coming through midway. The finish brings the clove spiciness that was lacking in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium, a bit more body than usual for the style. Nice creaminess to it, with a crispness on the tip of the tongue from the phenols.

Well this should probably be classified as a Dunkelweizen, especially since they have the Weizenhell, but whatever. It's quite good, not my favorite Hefeweizen or Dunkelweiss though.

02-04-2009 03:26:15 | More by roadhouse
jujubeast6000

2.78/5  rDev -30%

Reviewed 2/14/2007 (500mL bottle):

Pours a huge, creamy off-white head, decent lacing, lasting. Brown color, very cloudy. Floral wheaty aroma, some alcohol. Light, malty flavor, watery. .Some of that wheat in the taste, some grapefruit. Watery, not too complex a flavor. A light session beer.

02-03-2009 02:36:15 | More by jujubeast6000
bmwats

Louisiana

Poured from 500ml bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Light copper color, almost with a grayish tone, and very hazy. As a matter of fact it's almost opaque. Medium carbonation pours into 3 finger foamy white head which quickly settles into a smattering of carbonation on the surface. Sediment dances around the body of the brew, and carbonation continues to rise throughout. No real lacing to speak of.

S: Wheat, yeast, baked bread, citrus, and little clove (or basil or maybe even oregano).

T: Wheat, orange citrus, and a touch of honey sweetness.

M: Light but hearty. Really coats the palette. The wheat and citrus hang with you through the whole experience. The sweetness kinda' creeps in at the finish.

D: Really good drinkability. Good flavor and feel.

Atmosphere is decent. Head lacks a bit, but nose and overall appearance are distinctive. Looks alot like dirty dishwater. Flavor is a little different for a hefeweizen, and not in a bad way. Feel is light and non-offensive. Very good quaff.

02-01-2009 02:08:53 | More by bmwats
CMW

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

This brew pours a beautiful cloudy amber color with a considerable amount of carbonation. Even with the cloudy like look in the glass you can still see the large amounts of carbonation bubbles dancing to the top. I was somewhat surprised by the color as it is darker than your standard wheat beer. I used a weizen glass and there was a large marshmallow-like head that I wished stuck around a little longer. After it had dissipated I was left with a very slight lacing around the top of the glass.

The aroma was a mixture of fruits and subtle spices. The smell of clove and nutmeg is the first thing I detect. Bananas and apples add to the complex aroma that comes across yeasty. The overall aroma makes me want to take a drink immediately.

The taste is your reward here. It has a medium body where the fruits jump right out at you. At the first part of the taste you feel a slight bite from the carbonation. After the initial taste, the mixture of fruit definitely stands out. The mixture of banana, apple, and pear or orange blends perfectly. On the way down I can taste of hint of clove. In the end there is a very slight bitterness for balance.

01-27-2009 19:45:51 | More by CMW
KTCamm

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Dark amber hefeweizen with a strong fizz upon pour. Cloudy appearance. Very mild banana/clove. I got some citrus in the taste and in the finish as well. We carbonated. Drinkability - very good - I only had one in my fridge, but could hav easily had another.

01-23-2009 02:22:54 | More by KTCamm
farrago

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Super-cloudy yet you can still see the thin, active bubble beads, plenty of dead yeast cells floating about, as yellow as orange, the head light and without much froth, however the thin layer that's there remains for some time, renewed by the ceaseless bubbles. Medium level thrust in the nose but very consistent, offers banana, cinnamon to clove spice, peach fuzz, bread pudding scents with a split down the middle between hops and malts. Medium-bodied plus, its smoothness is exhibited early, flows fast enough you do need to focus to get the most out of the clove, nutmeg spice, spearmint, lemon peel, croissant flakes, banana and fig fruit. Lightish carbonation allows it to soak in well. Persistent finish without ever appearing pushy.

01-17-2009 18:20:27 | More by farrago
Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH