1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-WeisseSchneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Schneider version. This brew is the result of the long friendship of Brooklyn brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Schneider brewmaster Hans-Peter Drexler. Garrett had always admired the delicate balance of flavors in Schneider Weisse, while Hans-Peter had long enjoyed the effusive hop character of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale and BLAST! Garrett's concept for the collaboration was that each brewmaster would brew essentially the same pale, hoppy weissbock in the other's brewery, but with different hopping to reflect the local hop flavor.

Dry-hopped w/ Hallertauer Saphir.

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 07-16-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,048 | Reviews: 697 | Show All Ratings:
cokes

Wisconsin

1.83/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Swamp water, opaque, muddy, yellowed tan with a large-pocked, everlasting pile of dirty snow fed by erupting geysers of bubbles.

It looks sorta good, at least. It's also looks like storm sewer discharge, but that's not so out of style parameters.

Talc and crushed aspirin hit the nose first and hardest, then keeping its sere and acrid lean, it drifts towards rusted tin. Lemon and dandelion come next. A tenebrous doughiness provides the only glint of malt. It doesn't even hint at being a weizenbock, aroma-wise- and I can enjoy a hopped-up version of anything, with hallertauers being amongst my favorite varietals- this quite simply smells like a junkyard sprinkled with pills.
There's a thin crust pizza dough maltiness that is the first entrant in the mouth. It turns richer and doughier with a vague approximation of under-baked banana bread. But banana is never truly a feature, and the wheat (which should be paramount here) barely ekes out traces of dough. Likewise, the weizen yeast is far too subtle or too far over-matched. There is no clove, no pepper, no anything. A whelp of lemon precedes a weed and alum drenched hop closure. It rides out and lingers crushingly of rusted metal, with further caustic medicinals. Acrid, atonal, and just utterly abysmal. Nothing works together here, and the hops are just downright uncouth and full of negative flavors, even if not overbearingly loud, they are just amazingly disjointed.
The body is a thickened medium with a staunch carbonation. It's a frame that could work, and it is probably the one thing here that keeps me from dumping it.
But even yet this teeters on totally undrinkablity, the clownish hops marginalize the malt and yeast traits (which isn't much of a feat, given that both of the later are non-entities). Let me reiterate; This is a weizenbock without significant contributions for yeast or malt. If the hopping worked well, it be a less of an issue, though it would still be a significant if not fatal flaw. But the hops don't, and not by a long shot, as they only add to this wreckage.
With two solid brewers, someone should have stood up and stated the obvious:
This is thoroughly fucked.
Let's try again.

10-05-2007 07:43:53 | More by cokes
Realale

Missouri

2.23/5  rDev -45.3%

Deep, hazy gold. Sticky, off-white head settles pretty quickly to a solid half inch, and stays through the pint, leaving nice lacing.

Banana ester is quite strong in this bottle, with a hearty kick of clove. It does not make a pleasant combination with the abundant, somewhat aggressive hops. Sweet malt enters the mix, and does not help the situation.

On the thin side of medium in the mouth. The hops and spicy wheat are in control here, though the clove makes itself known in the long finish. Good slightly sweet malt in there as well. A bit hot to boot. Definitely tastes better than it smells.

Carbonation is appropriate for a weizen, with the abundant bubbles doing a fine palate-scrubbing job here.

Full points for originality here, but I just don't like this. It's virtually undrinkable for me.

09-29-2007 23:25:42 | More by Realale
nomisugitai

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Big dissapointment.

Appearance - Nice head, yeasty weizen

Smell - Nice hop smell with a little yeast

Taste - Sweet malt liquor. Reminded me of OE. Not good. Alcohol takes over.

Mouthfeel - Syrupy

Drinkability - I wouldn't want to drink more than 1

09-10-2008 16:00:31 | More by nomisugitai
BeerImmediately

2.55/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours w/a healthy, bubbly white head over an opaque / dirty, dirty blond. No lacing.

Aromas are full of mango and tangy citrus on the top, and some bready/yeasty qualities as you dive in. Seems odd.

Flavors are full of tangy citrus - mostly lime, followed by some blood orange. This is a Weizenbock? Just a very minor touch of banana, maybe a hint of clove like spice. Maybe I got a bad batch?

Mouthfeel is really clean/bright for the style. I'm used to a richer feel. Appropriate level of carbonation.

Don't get me wrong - this is a fairly tasty concoction, but it seemed well off of what a weizenbock should be. Given that this is from Schneider - the king of wheat beers - I will certainly try it again, just to make sure I'm not having a bad batch.

09-29-2011 22:33:47 | More by BeerImmediately
ohmybock

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

This is a .5L bottle of the latest batch from Schneider. (The label has changed a bit from the original release.) I bought a few bottles of the first batch, but I didn't like them. They all had a mild sour flavor...like something was wrong with them. Thankfully, this new bottle does not have the same problem. Still, I'm not a huge fan of this brew. I love hoppy American and European brews, plus I love German-style weizen beers. However, this uber hoppy weizen brew just don't seem to work for me. In this Schneider version, there's a prevalent soapy character I just can't get past. It's in the aroma and the taste, and I figure it's from the hop variety used. Unfortunately for me, the character takes me back to when I was a kid and said a bad word. My Mom's punishment for my mistake was having me suck on a bar of bath soap. Although not as horrible as that, this beer has a soapy character and bitterness that brought me right back to those old forgotten days of gagging on a bar of soap. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish the bottle, but at the same time I doubt I'll be buying this brew again. I tried this bottle side-by-side with the Brooklyn version (and I've also had the similar-in-style New Glarus Imperial Weizen). It seems like I should like all three of those brews a lot, but alas I guess it's not meant to be. Maybe if they used the same wonderful hops as in Sam Adams Imperial Pils, I would like all them better? I'm not sure. As it stands, Aventinus is one of my all-time favorite brews. I also think the Aventinus Eisbock and regular Schneider Weisse are very good. I love that Schneider is trying something different with the Hopfen-Weisse, but I'll stick with Schneider's other offerings.

06-12-2008 21:27:48 | More by ohmybock
shbobdb

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Man, something about chefs, kitchens, broths, and too many. I mean, I figured this beer was pretty much a slam-dunk. Scheider und Sohn, one of the best Weizen brewers in Germany and Brooklyn, one one the best brewers in America. I mean, how could this beer fail to be awesome?

I think the answer is cross-cultural miscommunication. The weizen elements of this beer are very subtle and weak. This isn't merely in keeping with the German's present desire for a weaker beer, but also with the German notion that Americans can't handle real beer. The hops and alcohol, on the other hand, are depending on *something* being there that just isn't.

It comes out feeling like an IPA without any malt support. There is a faint estery push, but it reminds me more of a homebrew fermented too warm as opposed to a genuine hopfen weizen.

This beer really could have *been* something, but it just ain't. It wants to be some high alcohol, low taste, high hop junk like Belgium is pooping out right now. Germany ought be a step above that.

08-02-2007 01:28:35 | More by shbobdb
olimpia84

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured the 16oz bottle into my Weizen glass.

A: nice dark golden and orange color with a nice three finger white creamy head. Good retention.

S: citrus is the predominant smell on the nose followed by banana bread; there was a bit of metallic smell too

T: hops were predominant to the point that it overshadowed other flavors such as citrus fruits and banana. The hops influence make this beer very bitter... in fact way too bitter, imo. Also some spicy notes of cloves.

M: medium body with medium carbonation. Unfortunately the ABV is not very well hidden and you notice it as you're drinking the beer.

O: a bit disappointed in this one. After having a good experience with the Schneider Weissbier I was excited to try this one but it ended up being a very bitter beer that imo hid some of the taste qualities that I could tell were present from the smell.

08-29-2011 15:37:28 | More by olimpia84
harrymel

Washington

2.74/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottled: unk

Gold apricot with a solid quilt of marshmallow foam and lots of lace. Aroma of licorice, BO, weed, some black olive and some metal. Malts, yeast, some plastic, some banana, some more yeast and bitterness. Full bodied with moderate carb and a dry finish. Meh.

02-21-2013 09:30:35 | More by harrymel
lpayette

Vermont

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Pours a very very cloudy grapefruit juice color with a massive, rocky, sticky white head. Lots of active carbonation to keep the head going.

Smell- Surprisingly spicy and tart in the nose. Lots of clove and banana. Different.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Is a bit of a surprise again. Not quite what I was expecting. Even though there's still a little yeast in the bottom of the bottle, I wish I hadn't poured so much in. Flavor is mostly of grapefruit and banana. Various spices. Barnyardy. A hint of a metallic finish. A little tart. Lot of medicinal notes. A slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel IMO. VERY yeasty in both flavor and mouthfeel. Too much so for me, even considering the style.

Drinkability- I'm still struggling through this one. It is getting slightly better as it warms, but still falls way short. Hopefully I start to have a change of heart about it. If I had another one I'd be more careful not to pour so much yeast in next time. Unfortunately however, I probably won't be trying this one again. I was hoping this would be much better. Hopefully the Brooklyn version I recently received in trade will be much better.

06-18-2008 01:05:58 | More by lpayette
Schneic8

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Bottled on Feb. 11, 2011.

Appearance: Golden orange color with a nice head that lasts. It seems to have a decent amount of carbonation.

Smell: Has a sweet smell with herbal characteristics. It seems to have a dry smell but mainly sweetness is coming through.

Taste: Has an initial sweet taste that I find hard to overcome. It fades to a bitterness that is refreshing. The citrus flavor outshines the hefeweizen wheat flavor and has a slight soapy taste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp smoothness that sits in the mouth well. Light carbonation that goes down smooth.

Overall: Not as good as I had hoped. The other Schneider beers I have tried were exceptional but this one I did not like very much. The unique flavor of the beer was not to my liking particularly the odd sweetness it has followed by the slight bitterness. Not sure I would try again.

08-09-2011 02:04:26 | More by Schneic8
B967ierhunter177

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer pours a hazy, bold gold with thick head and lasting lace. The aroma is citrus and banana with a bit of hay. It's flavor is typical hefeweizen, banana, lemon,and some vanilla. It has a strong alcohol background that becomes more prevalent then overwhelming as it warms. The mouthfeel is medium, very filling. Schneider - Brooklyner Hopfen - Weisse is a decent beer, could rate better with less alcohol burn. Slightly recommended.

10-08-2011 22:25:43 | More by B967ierhunter177
alexgash

Connecticut

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

500 ml bottle.

Cloudy, pulpy, muddy orange body. Tall, rocky, three fingers of long-lasting, great-lacing, off-white head. Fresh wheat, boozy bananas, some clove, and loads of grassy, herbal hops on the nose. Interesting. Herbal bitterness up front. Toasted wheat bread malts follow. Rummy fruits, with accents of banana, and some tropical fruit follow. Some bitter astringency shows through and almost tastes medicinal. Boozy finish with lingering fruit and herbal hops. Medium-bodied with a soft feel. Disappointing.

09-17-2008 01:29:48 | More by alexgash
mmmbeer

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Half-liter Euro bottle, with some batch code on the label; "robustly dry-hopped" with Hallertau Saphir. Pours a medium-hued cider color, fully opaque, with high carbonation and a noisy, three-finger whitish head that leaves little lacing. In the nose there's a lemony hop presence, with some phenols, orange, and a bit of pith. It starts really nice, but peters out over time. On the first sip, there is some immediately-detectable heat, followed by some rather sharp, almost piercing spicy flavors consisting of lemon, banana, latex, and spicy yeast, along with a medium hop bitterness. It has a medium body, with crisp, numbing carbonation and some hops in the finish. This beer is all out of balance. The alcohol is waaay too noticeable and the flavors are incredibly sharp. This one needs some age to tame the heat. We'll see how it compares to the one brewed on this side of the pond.

02-25-2009 23:29:13 | More by mmmbeer
WhiteOak

Connecticut

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

A- Cloudy, dark orange-amber color. Copious large sediment particles float throughout. The moderate head is yellowy-tan.

S- A strong grapefruit citric hops smell obscures the delicate classic hefe-weizen aroma of clove & banana. Fruity smells of apricot are apparent, but the aromatic profile is clumsy and out of balance.

T- Citric hops completely upstage and overshadow the delicate Hefe-Weizen wheat flavor, and the unhappy international marriage results in a soapy taste with a shot of Pine-Sol. The bitter finish steps upon any hopes of the wonderful classic lingering Hefe flavors.

As a dedicated admirer of both the long-proven and accepted traditional Hefe-Weizen beer and the unquestionably great brewery of G. Schneider & Sohn, I must respectfully submit that it was a shame to dedicate such valuable resources and production capacity to the conversion of a Hefe-Weizen into a pseudo IPA.

If the "American ingenuity" (as the label states) was merely to toy with a classic recipe by "robustly dry-hopping" an otherwise perfect beer, then it appears to me at least that the Americans should not be invited to collaborate on such an iconic beer at such a time-stable house.

05-21-2011 22:12:16 | More by WhiteOak
spicelab

Australia

2.98/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

500mL bottle thanks to Adam@Platinum Liquor.

Heavily hazed dirty apricot with a large white head that falls with minimal lacing to a slightly raised ring.

Hectic melange of tart, sweet and floral spice. Cumquats, marmalade, grapefruit, bitter melon, bubble gum and a bizarre jungly, vegetal character. There's also kind of a pungent, almost barleywine malt character. Full-on stuff.

Sweeter flavours, with lots of clove, pear and banana esters and bucketloads of floral character. Odd combo of yeast and barleywine-esque malt is also present.

Medium body, but very oily mouthfeel. Carbonation is spritzy but mild, and doesn't cut through the oiliness anywhere near enough. Something of a dry finish.

Found this a borderline Frankenstein beer. Chock full of interesting characteristics, but combined in a way that seems overblown and random.

04-07-2012 07:36:14 | More by spicelab
RickS95

Indiana

Pours a very cloudy, hazy, milky golden yellow. The beer is just full of haze and yumminess. The head is thick and slightly dirty white. Large bubbles on the perimeter and foamy, small bubbles in the center. Good retention, not much lace.

Fruity banana, cloves, bubble gum. Lemon and honey in the background.

While I enjoy a high ABV beer as much as the next guy, I don't want the beer to taste like alcohol. This one does. While it doesn't burn your tongue or throat, it's a very forward, aggressive alcohol flavor that takes away from the other yummy ingredients. Lemon, faint banana, and bubble gum take care of the taste buds the alcohol doesn't.

Early on it's smooth and creamy and a bit sweet. Then the alcohol wipes that clean and gives a grainy alcohol feel til the swallow. Medium bodied. Kind of a dryish, hot finish.

Overall it's very disappoinging. I've had the other collaboration from these brewers and it was excellent. This isn't. Tastes only slightly different than straight alcohol. I'm pleased with the 8.2% ABV, I just don't want to taste it. Almost tastes like a mixed drink.

09-21-2012 02:33:11 | More by RickS95
DoubleJ

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

Of the Schneider beers I've had so far, I have loved their heavier beers (Aventinus & Aventinus Eisbock), but merely satisfied by their session wheat beers (Schenider Weisse & it's organic component). This beer falls into the heavy category, so that's a good sign. On to the beer:

Banana peel yellow in color with tocuhes of cloudiness and yeast. Aroma is unique, starts with a tropical fruity hoppiness, then in comes banana and pinneapple. So far, me likey.

I'm not sure it I love my banana flavored beer to be mixed with a tropical and hoppy flavored beer. The banana comes in, then it gets smackedown by the hops. Taste of canned pinneapples. I get hop juice as well, but it just doesn't seem right.

I've had my share of hoppy wheat beers that I've liked. This one has too much going on. Either dominate with the hops are just have a pinch of them, blending the two makes an odd concoction.

08-22-2008 03:05:01 | More by DoubleJ
goldbot

District of Columbia

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy orange with huge chunks of lees floating around. Thick and creamy white head. Looks awesome except for the gigantic yeast chunks. I poured carefully but had to leave a good two inches of beer in the bottle to avoid pouring out even more yeast. Aroma of sweet malts and grains with a floral hop character - quite planty. The flavor is very sweet - some bready malts and caramel but lots of sweet cherry to the point of being slightly cloying. Some floral hop character. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy but again I thought it was way too sweet. It does cover up the high ABV though. Overall I expect much better from a collaboration of these two great breweries - I was quite disappointed.

03-24-2011 23:20:36 | More by goldbot
AwYeh

3.03/5  rDev -25.7%

500 ml bottle poured into tulip.

A: Opaque, yellow-brown tone with two fingers of light, bubbly, sparkling head. Good retention which I didn't expect considering the sparkling quality of it, accompanied by moderate lacing.

S: Lots going on here right from the beginning: I pick up the banana, clove, and bubblegum flavors associated with the style, a big punch of grassy hops emerges, and a strong, funky yeastiness comes out which really dominates the smell once its been picked up.

T: Clove and banana upfront are quickly overtaken by a medicinal sweetness of increasing intensity as the glass goes on– not particularly digging that aspect of the flavor. Besides that, strong grassy hops and lightly funky yeast are quite enjoyable. There's a light citrus flavor in here too, comparable to apricots.

M: Moderate-bodied with equally moderate carbonation, slightly creamy with a light dryness on the finish.

O: I didn't end up liking this one as much as I thought I would, but I'll give it another chance if I have the opportunity. There's lots of good to be had here, and I could easily see someone enjoying this more than I did regardless of whether or not they like the medicinal notes.

01-12-2012 04:25:36 | More by AwYeh
natelocc787

3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Not impressed with this example AT ALL. Big letdown, tasted like a homebrew I messed up one time. First off this doesn't taste Weizenbock at all it tastes Belgian Golden Ale all the way and the yeast character overwhelms all else in taste and aroma. Coriander, honey, banana, candi sugar and hops all show up beneath the powerful yeast in the smell and taste. It actually makes the nose a little more aromatic than it otherwise might be. Just not a pleasing taste. Big bubbles, over carbonated and dry-i think they dropped the ball on this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle, either way I don't want to risk trying it again.

12-07-2009 19:12:19 | More by natelocc787
balconybrew

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured a murky off amber-yellow color with foam! The bright white head sat on top of the liquid. It took a few drinks for the head to begin to fall, but it didnt dissolve completly. No lacing. The aroma was typical with a stong hop presence. (as expected)
The flavor was the same. Bier was a little chewy for the style. One was enough for me.

09-14-2007 02:36:13 | More by balconybrew
DaggerEyes

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

poured into a Weise glass with a rowdy and huge foamy head that took a little while to settle down. settled into a thin layer with plenty of lacing. The cloudy color is similar in appearance to an apple cider but a bit more on the orange side of the spectrum.

Quite a unique smell...fruit is present first on the nose, citrus, pine, apple, banana, very subtle clove.

The taste is much different than the nose would lead one to believe. The alchohol is not well masked at all, hits you pretty quick. Very blunt and bitter on the tongue. A huge disappointment after the wonderful bouquet present on the nose. Banana and clove tastes battle to come through the bland hop blast, but to little avail.

The mouthfeel is nothing special round in the mouth very little carbonation and a somewhat dry finish.

Not the type of beer you could throw back a lot of over the course of the night, due to the rather high ABV.

After reading a lot about this collaborative brewing project I was very excited to give this beer a go, it didn't even come close to living up the hype, a much more interesting story than drink

09-14-2007 23:14:40 | More by DaggerEyes
RonfromJersey

3.13/5  rDev -23.3%

Cloudty, hazy pale orange body, topped by a high columnof off-white swiss-cheesed foam.

Nose has little bits of banana and clove, and a big squirt of lemon at the center.

On the tongue, a splash of sweet malt, then a stiff brush of wheat. Undercoat of lemon, which rises at the finish. Very mild spice note. Clean finish. Slight alcohol note. Just doesn't seem to come together.

Mediumish mouthfeel, solid, almost too solid. Creamy even.

Drinkability isn't impaired by anything, its just ok.

Maybe expectations were too high, but overall a letdown. Tastes just never quite came together, a case of the sum being less than the parts perhaps. Not saying the brewers shouldn't try again by any means.

10-24-2007 20:44:49 | More by RonfromJersey
elinash

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

I was excited to try the first of the two schneider-brooklyn collaborations (the other being this same beer done at Brooklyn...yet to come).

Appearance was cloudy on the first pour with good off white head that faded. The pour at the end of the bottle looked like blended oatmeal that you couldn't see through with a flashlight.

Aroma was all up front astringent hops.

Taste doesn't stray too far from the acidic hop in the aroma. Mouthfeel is ok, pretty thin overall. Sweetness does come through and fades pretty quickly into a bitter finish.

I wasn't thrilled, as you might be able to guess. I'm hoping that the Brooklyn version will be better.

08-02-2007 01:02:39 | More by elinash
dedrinker

Kansas

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Wow. What a good way to utterly compromise a classic. Take a great classic hefe-weizen from a noteworthy and classic producer, and then let American "ingenuity" enter the picture, and there you wind up with a dubious result. The beer poured a dishwater khaki, and while the smell was intriguing - more clove phenols than original Schneider-Weiss normally has, but with a little hop citrus - the flavor was another story. The hops played an annoying younger brother trying to hassle his older brother as he attempts to hold a mature conversation with a beautiful woman. Garret's contribution distracted and detracted from the otherwise sublime brilliance known as Schneider-Weiss.

09-20-2007 20:39:33 | More by dedrinker
Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH