Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-WeisseSchneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Schneider version. This brew is the result of the long friendship of Brooklyn brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Schneider brewmaster Hans-Peter Drexler. Garrett had always admired the delicate balance of flavors in Schneider Weisse, while Hans-Peter had long enjoyed the effusive hop character of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale and BLAST! Garrett's concept for the collaboration was that each brewmaster would brew essentially the same pale, hoppy weissbock in the other's brewery, but with different hopping to reflect the local hop flavor.

Dry-hopped w/ Hallertauer Saphir.

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-16-2007)
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a slightly hazy apple juice body with a pure white and settling down to silky head.

S: Big banana aroma with a brown sugar sweetness. Fresh pressed oranges then on a deep inhale a sharp and peppery hop presence rears its head.

T: Highly citric, orange and lemon then banana and apple. Spicy hops and a slight yeasty funk kicks in. Simple flavors, but all bold and delicious.

M: Medium to full and juicy, yet, still refreshing.

D: If it wasn't for the high abv, I would drink this all night.

phantomwyse, Jun 04, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Schnedier version (at least I think so from the bottle).

Pours a honey golden yellow with fizzy white foam. Lots of sediment floating in the bottle. No lacing.

Good hefe smell of bananas. Some citrus.

Taste opens like a hefe, but a bittering hop quickly takes over and dominates. Stays relatively mellow, but had an "edge" to it that IMO keeps it a notch below similar beers. The flavor is good, but I find it lingering just a bit more than I'd like.

Bitter in the mouthfeel. Somehwat chewy.

A nice taster and a drinkable offering. Given the choice, I'd probably try a separate offering than go back to this one. Good - not great.

KTCamm, Jun 03, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Bought at Liberta`s in Ridgefield, CT.

B. United released this again a month ago or so, once again.
The appearance is a thick honey color with a huge frothy light white head to it, glorious looking !
The smell is bananas, literally. More bananas in the taste, some cashew flavor, and some wheat. Mouthfeel is similar to a strong belgian pale ale IMHO, very nice. Drinkability is very good, this is very appropriate for the warm weather it is released into. Ever since it had stopped being distributed last year, I was yearning for it. This beer is in my top 10 list, incredible beer.

mltobin, May 31, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Picked up at Rick's Wine and Gourmet in Alexandria, VA.

Poured in to my Aventinus 100 anv glass. Pours a very nice clear golden color and then towards the end the clouds start to pour in. The head forms perfectly and the beer in the glass looks like a work of art. The aroma coming from this beer is just heavenly, extremly floral notes up front with a bit of spice behind it. The taste is what made this beer so tasty. The floral notes hit me pretty strong at the start and a spice back it up. I felt the floral notes and the spice were balanced perfectly and made for a wonderful and amazing brew. The alcohol and carbonation was just enough as they helped with pronouncing the flavor and aroma. The beer could be had in a session as long as you whatch the amount. The alcohol is well hidden and can sneak up on you.

BZero007, May 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14%

A bit confused about this Weizen bock being called an ale but I guess it's a loosely used term in this case. Aside from that I loved this beer the first time I had it and once again just now.

The appearance, especially if you gently swirl the beer before pouring is a gorgeous, brass-tan opaque blizzard of sediment.

The nose is very inviting; loads of spicy pine, banana, yeast and bread.

The mouth is where it's at. Very creamy, and as the nose promises, it's loaded with spicy and somewhat floral & piney notes. The banana is less pronounced here but not in a bad way. Very refreshing, very easy-drinking and frankly better than I remembered.

beeronesse, May 29, 2009

Serving Type- Bottle served into a 0.5L weissen glass

appearance- hazy orange

smell- orange, wheat, banana, clove. mostly smells of wheat

taste/mouthfeel- wheaty beer with a notacable bitterness. nice fruit notes. medium body but good feel.

drinkability- short review, but good beer.

Anthony1, May 28, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Mine has a different looking label but I think it is the same.

Ton of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I poured it three times & still ended up with a tall cloudy glass. It was clearly a nice clear golden hue, but came out a grungy brownish yellow.

Huge head on the first pour. Probably 4-5 inches. Nice foam. Wonderful smell. Like old cut apples, sweet & tangy. High hops.

Sweet, malty. Well crafted. The high alcohol is well hidden behind the malt. Warming & bready with a quiet finish. Mild notes of bitter hop resin.

Pretty good start, but the product is probably just a bit too old. Would really like to get a fresh one.

Dotcubed, May 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Appears golden yellow and cloudy with some carbonation apparent in the glass, fluffy head and some lacing. About what you would expect from a weizen. Smells of wheat, citrus, and definite hints of hops. The taste is an interesting marriage of the light citrusy character of a hefeweizen with hop characteristics one might find in an IPA, a sort of piney quality, perhaps. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated, quite smooth.

Very drinkable, certainly an interesting style. Refreshing and yet features a healthy dose of hops. I will be interested to try the Brooklyn version, as well.

bcdees47, May 24, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse is a very cloudy dull gold beer with a thin, dense, white head that has good lacing. It has a fresh, fruity, spicy aroma with notes of lemon, orange, coriander and banana/clove. It is medium bodied; smooth and lively with a clean finish. It has a full, fruity wheat flavor with lots of spice. It's chai-like. It's a little sweet, a little bitter and incredibly drinkable-- even at 8.5% ABV-- Look out!

yesyouam, May 23, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

A 500ml bottle purchased in MD. Poured into my weizen glass, the beer appears a hazy dark yellow color with about an inch of pillowy white foam. Nose and flavors are dominated by floral bitter hops, orange, lemon, bananas, maybe a touch of grapefruit, yeah it's fruity, spicy yeast, caramel, some alcohol. Bordering on full bodied with ample carbonation. Very tasty.

ClockworkOrange, May 22, 2009
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Got this bottle from the Common Market in Charlotte NC.
Pours Light amber, almost yellow, light white head.
Smell is hoppy with obvious wheat and orange notes.
Taste is full of bright wheat and estery fruit notes. Very much like a hefeweissen but followed by some intense citris hop flavors. Really good infusion of fruit from the Hefe with Fruit from the Hops, very impressed.
Mouthfeel is tart and a litte sharp.
Drinkability is good and accessible to many palates!

chaz410, May 14, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

The colour is deep beige-orange; the two finger head is white. The liquid is very hazy.

The smell is fresh with sour dough-like notes of wheat. But there is also a distinct spicy-bitter hop character plus a pleasant sweet fruity scent. Very nice.

The taste is not as sweet as the smell: Quite the reverse, it is dry and spicy with a milt tart flavour of wheat dough. And there is something more here, something that I haven't noticed in any other weizenbock: A slightly roasted flavour of caramel sauce and dried red berries. It is highly balanced and a treat to drink. The aftertaste is somewhat sweeter with hoppy notes of old fashioned fruit candy, gooseberries and just a very fragile hint of bitterness.

The carbonation is medium; the many bubbles are small. The liquid is smooth and a bit thick.

If this beer would have been a music style, it should have been 70's roots reggae.

A bloody great beer, this one.

bark, May 08, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Not terribly impressed by this one. I think a 8.2% Weisse beer is a little much. Strong citrus, yeasty, a raison-y sweetness. Slightly bitter finish...not a hop bitterness but more the taste of citrus fruit rinds. The alcohol comes through at the end, and I really don't think in a particularly great way.

Appearance is cloudy as expected - kind of a murky brown/yellow. Decent head that vanished quickly.

Not really feeling this one. I MUCH prefer Schneider's other unfiltered offerings.

benwah22, May 07, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Yellow with brown hues, plenty of yeast haze. 4 cm white airy head that dissipates after a while, while leaving nice lacings on the glass.

S: Nice hop character up front - grapefruit, grass an resins, some pine-needles. Banana. Some yeast. Quite a lot of white pepper. Decent malt character beneath - white bread, wheat. Quite nice overall, but there are some notes that are slightly too assertive, not really harmonious.

T: The taste is not as impressive as the smell. Again, there are plenty of hops, but they are not as well defined as in the smell (grape, grass, floral notes). A rather sweet and juicy malty backbone mixes with a prominent spicy character (mostly white pepper). Some flavors of bubblegum, and of course banana. The finish is mildly bitter and dominated by a very sweet and sticky taste of alcohol, making the beer slightly perfumy. Faint mineral-notes, bread and hints of lemon lingers in the mouth.

M: Moderate body, plenty of carbonation but the bubbles are rather calm. Slightly chewy due to the alcohol.

D: This is a rather good beer, but for some reason it didn't really do it for me. This one proves that more hops is not always better. It lacks balance, the flavors are not integrated with each other and the alcohol is too prominent.

ricke, May 05, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Really didn't know what to expect from this one. Hefe-Weizen is one of my favourite styles. Especially in the summer. But this one is much stronger in alcohol than usually, and "Hopfen" in the names also suggests an American twist of this old Bavarian style.

A: Pours an orange liquid with a rich cloudiness. The head is white and finger thick. Looks promising!

S: Hefe-Weizen (of course); but also citrus, alcohol, pineapple and some pine tree.

T: Follows the smell, but I guess I would have likes it even more without some of the alcohol.

M: Very pleasant!

D: The high alcohol is a downer, but still very drinkable.

Note: I rated this one as Hefe-Weizen, but here at BA I noticed that it's labelled as a Weizenbock - a style I'm not familiar with. I guess that makes my comments about the high alcohol a bit out of place.

Scriba, May 05, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

I wanted to like this more than I did. The bottle I drank was colder than it should have been, so I'm keeping an open mind and might even try it again.

But really? First I got some hop bite (not hop spice, just the bitterness, which was tricky), and then some (actually pretty nice) weizen banana-and-clove, but nothing to bring them together except some fruit-bubble-gum and some alcohol.

I feel like both of the styles needed to be stronger, because when they were both weak (hop bite w/o taste, weak weizen flavors) you just noticed the alcohol more. I still wouldn't say I disliked the beer, I enjoyed drinking the whole thing, but I like to drink a beer and think "Wow, I hope I can find another one soon!" not "Eh, that was an interesting and decent experience."

The mouthfeel was actually very smooth, but whenever I licked my lips, which I do without really thinking about it, I would get the bubblegum taste, which was making me unhappy. Might have upped the drinkability rating, though, since I will say I wanted to keep drinking it to forget about my lips.

lstokes, May 04, 2009

Beautiful cloudy honey color. Head is extremely forward but did not last; also minimal lace retention. Not sure if that's because of my glass/pour or the beer itself

Banana, clove, honey, faint floral hops.

Taste is a bit citrusy. Nice, nice balance. A lot of honey, bit of clovey spice. Some banana, grapefruit-hop bitterness at the end. Very faint alcohol, a little more prominent as the drink goes on. This is like a killer ambrosia, the southern citrus salad kind.

Mouthfeel is medium and slightly chewy. Fairly carbonated.

Drinkability's pretty damn good. Some danger in this bottle.

I do not think this is the first weizenbock I have ever had, but it's the first I've ever reviewed. I hope it is not the last, and I definitely intend to try the Brooklyn version soon.

thryn, May 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes slowly into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of bananas, cloves, herbal hops, and wheat, in that order. As the beer warms the hops and bananas take over a bit more.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Banana and wheat flavors up front are soon joined by herbal hops that carry on until the cloves join in right before a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation for the style.

Drinkability is good. I had no problem finishing my glass and could have a few.

Overall I'm a fan of this style and this beer didn't disappoint. Nothing really pops from this beer but it's solid. Worth a shot.

glid02, May 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a Cloudy gold like a Hef should into my allagsh gLass. Nice creamy head.

Smells of pine and wheat. The Brooklyn version has more of a hoppy smell.

Taste is absolutly smooth starts off with a hoppy bitterness and finishes off sweet and wheaty. I can't believe this is 8.2% abv. The alchohol is masked so well.

Feels like velvet in my mouth, so smooth again.

This is a great drinker if you can handle the abv!

LennyV, Apr 29, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle.

A - same shade as a normal hefe, very cloudy. Holds a giant fluffy layer of head that retains very well and leaves ridiculous lacing. A very sexy looking beer.

S - The prominent aroma I get is hoppy pine, backed up by sweet clove and banana. The hops and the hefe aromas go surprisingly well together.

T - A very light sweetness and fruit, balanced out by a peppery bite and a good floral hop taste. Clean finish with little residual bitterness.

M - The foam gives off a dimension of creaminess to the fairly carbonated hit on the palate. Oh so smooth and luscious.

D - It's so rich and filling, but also so easy drinking. I wish I could drink more of this liquid love, but the pint I had will suffice, as it's already filled me up.

Overall - Were you actually expecting a less than glowing report for this one? Seriously, how can you go wrong with a collaboration between two of the world's premiere brewmasters? This is absolutely a repeat buy for me.

DannyS, Apr 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

i love this beer. i'm a huge bavarian/hoppy fan...this beer KILLS! It is almost the best of both worlds. Eventhough it is not perfect (because what bier is?!?!), it comes damn near close. I could drink a 6er of this myself while listening to Schonberg and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

erp2, Apr 22, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

The label on my bottles is not the same as the BA picture. It's a modified Schneider label without the big Brooklyn B. Just a note.

Looks fantastic. Cloudy and straw-colored with a monster head.

The smells is also great: banana and clove -- of course -- but also pear and apple.

Clove and pepper mix with sweetness and a just-noticeable taste of alcohol and finishes with an herbal hop note. I can say I've never had a beer like this before. Lots of big flavors, but well-controlled -- what else would you expect from a German brew?

The body is also good and smooth.

This beer is well worth looking for and I look forward to trying the American version.

Shaw, Apr 20, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +17.2%

A: Hazy and tan with an even complexion throughout. Pours with ample loose head and minimal even lacing.

S: Mild citrus and other tart fruity notes. Subtle hints of banana.

T&M: Lusciously smooth and wheaty with a mild alcoholic aftertaste. Some faint malt-like fruitiness in the background.

** Please note: I am sampling this at a colder temp than recommended which makes it a bit sharper. If storing in a fridge I suggest letting it breathe for a few.

D: I found this brew to be dangerously smooth, refreshing and drinkable. I'm storing it at about 40 degrees, but once this baby warms up it goes down easy (like most brews from Schneider). My new favorite wheat brew... I bought out my local beer shop's supply.. about 15 bottles.

dino213aa, Apr 16, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Has this at the Capital Ale House in Richmond Downtown. Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a very hazy golden color with a fluffy white head. Spicy and flowery in the aroma. Some banana, orange and light clove with an awesome smack of hop bitterness. Nice dry finish. A very interesting blend of ipa and weisse beers. I like the brooklyn version a little better. Will try again.

atpben, Apr 14, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -9.3%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy orange, somewhere between a typical wheat beer and an IPA. Two finger head that leaves generous lacing.

S: The hops and fruity esters come together to create a strongly herbal, almost soapy aroma. It's unique, I'll say that much.

T: Major noble hop presence. Again, strong soapy notes. No trace of alcohol. I can't quite decide if I like it or not.

M: Refreshingly thin with good carbonation.

D: This is kind of an odd bird. The different components of this beer don't really come together all that well, but there's nothing that really drives me away either. I'd say this is worth trying at least once.

BarrelO, Apr 12, 2009
Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH