Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse - Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-WeisseSchneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse

Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  8.20% ABV

Schneider version. This brew is the result of the long friendship of Brooklyn brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Schneider brewmaster Hans-Peter Drexler. Garrett had always admired the delicate balance of flavors in Schneider Weisse, while Hans-Peter had long enjoyed the effusive hop character of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale and BLAST! Garrett's concept for the collaboration was that each brewmaster would brew essentially the same pale, hoppy weissbock in the other's brewery, but with different hopping to reflect the local hop flavor.

Dry-hopped w/ Hallertauer Saphir.

(Beer added by: John_M on 07-16-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
biggred1

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Cloudy light blonde with a lot of suspended yeast,big foamy head that rose halfway out of the glass and finally settled into a nice finger of rocky suds.Smells of sour citrus grapefruit and lemons with the requisite banana clovey thing,also big grassy fresh hops.Taste is unique to say the least,kind of like a Belgian triple/IPA/Hefe hybrid unlike any other weizenbock I've ever had.Big spicy,sour hoppy notes that pummel the palate in a good way and a big warming alcoholic finish.Medium bodied with a smooth, steady fine carbonation that keeps things lively.This stuff suits me just fine but may be too big for some.Outstanding

06-21-2008 23:15:26 | More by biggred1
demitriustown

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

500 ml bottle: From trade with pantanap (thanks a lot) Smells absolutely wonderful, like fresh picked fruit and a wonderful floral hop aroma that is to die for. Pours a cloudy and pulpy orangish/brown with a medium sized tan head that lingers for quite a while. Taste is got a nice hop texture, wheat, yeast, citrus(orange mostly) and a light spice note that comes toward the back end. Palate is somewhat bready, viscous, and carbonated at the back of the mouth. Overall, I could really enjoy this brew if I got it around here. I would buy as much as I could If I has a regular supply.

06-19-2008 20:34:01 | More by demitriustown
SaucyA

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Served into a Weihenstephan glass, this poured with a huge frothy heady, and a cloudy golden body. It looks as it should.

S - Interesting hoppy nose, banana, clove, and a weird soapy smell underneath. It works, if not a little strangely.

T - Interesting taste. Finishes like a hefe but has a weird hop/soap/tangy kick to begin with. Obvious alcohol presence. Drier finish than expected. Nothing I'm dying over... it's interesting but doesn't work for me, personally.

M - Light yet creamy, good carbonation.

D - Don't know what it is but I'm just not feeling something about this brew. Wish I could put my finger on it, but all I can say is I don't like the taste. I got through it, but it took me a while.

Notes: I had pretty high hopes for this and I'm quite dissapointed it didn't taste as good as it sounded. I have the Brooklyn version in the fridge that I'll try soon enough... I hope that one is better.

06-18-2008 04:09:54 | More by SaucyA
lpayette

Vermont

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Pours a very very cloudy grapefruit juice color with a massive, rocky, sticky white head. Lots of active carbonation to keep the head going.

Smell- Surprisingly spicy and tart in the nose. Lots of clove and banana. Different.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Is a bit of a surprise again. Not quite what I was expecting. Even though there's still a little yeast in the bottom of the bottle, I wish I hadn't poured so much in. Flavor is mostly of grapefruit and banana. Various spices. Barnyardy. A hint of a metallic finish. A little tart. Lot of medicinal notes. A slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel IMO. VERY yeasty in both flavor and mouthfeel. Too much so for me, even considering the style.

Drinkability- I'm still struggling through this one. It is getting slightly better as it warms, but still falls way short. Hopefully I start to have a change of heart about it. If I had another one I'd be more careful not to pour so much yeast in next time. Unfortunately however, I probably won't be trying this one again. I was hoping this would be much better. Hopefully the Brooklyn version I recently received in trade will be much better.

06-18-2008 01:05:58 | More by lpayette
JayQue

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

An unusual beer, weizenbock strength. witbier lightness with some piney West Coast hops thrown in. But it works!!!

Pours the usual hefe/wibier cloudy, straw color with a huge white head. The head dies down pretty quickly. Leaves a few jagged lines of lacing on the glass.

Smell is mild but represents both styles, the wheat and the hoppiness. The witbier sweetness and cloves/citrus taste leads off. The finish is a mild blast of piney hops. The tastes do not intrude on each other and the overall effect is a smooth,witbier with a little hops kick at the end. The alcohol taste does not come through despite the 8.2% abv.

Very tasty and drinkable. I split the bottle, but could easily see myself drinking 2-3 times as much as I had tonight. Very nice, can't wait to compare against the Brooklyn brewey version.

06-17-2008 02:37:14 | More by JayQue
dacrza1

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Swirling, tempestuous activity in a Schneider Edel-Weisse glass... bright yellow brown body with a massive four-finger head--picture perfect... thick, uneven foam is left as tracing... the citrus and banana aromas are compounded by the spruce and pine accents... this promises to be complex and refreshing, if the smell is accurate...medium to full-bodied, light on the tongue but warm on the throat... the head softensits impact... a grainy texture is also noticeable by the third sip... unexpectedly, the combination of killer hops and mega wheat neither nullify nor mutate, but become congruous and complimentary in a delicious marigae... perhaps this one was a winner before the bottle hissed open, but with two brilliant breweries joining forces, the results are predictable and impeccable... cheers.

06-15-2008 04:08:58 | More by dacrza1
marcpal

3.78/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml poured into weyerbacher tulip glass.

A: Hazy orange and cloudy with a terrific meringue head that built its on structure on this bad boy with staying power. A truly great looking beer. A plethera of sediment on the bottom of the glass.

N: Banana bread and lemon. Scents of a moisturizer and liquid soap, oddly in a good way. The hops are there but not as much as the Brooklyn version which is unfortunate.

T: Tastes of pumpkin pie spices at first and this is backed by the malt. Not too many hops or bitters. Quite sweet and bubblegum-like.

M: Creamy mouthfeel and the burn of the alcohol makes itself known. Carbonation moderate on the tongue.

D: Very good but lacking in the hops which make me prefer the Brooklyn vesrion. Complexity still makes this a pleasurable drinking experience. Short of being great.

06-14-2008 21:37:08 | More by marcpal
mbrandon2w

Maine

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a hazy gold. Nice head, but not long lasting.
Aroma is of hay, a bit of alcohol and a lot of juicyfruit bubblegum.
Taste is solid, with a nice sweet malt flavor, some banana, and still a lot of bubblegum. Very nice.
As it warms though, the brew picks up too much of the alcohol flavor, so it takes a hit on drinkability.
Overall, a very nice, solid beer, that I plan on picking up some more bottles of.

06-14-2008 17:09:24 | More by mbrandon2w
everetends

Alabama

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

500ml bottle gotten from Cheers in Carrollton, GA. Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Poured a beautiful orange with a big, soapy head. This beer is incredibly hazy, and once you get some yeast in there, this beer gets crazy active. This beer is amazing to look at and has great activity.

S: Banana, citrus (lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit), floral hops, yeast, grains and a touch of clove.

T: Once again, banana, mandarin orange comes through real well. The yeast is very nice, and the floral hops (says Hopfen for a reason, they are really there) really go well here. The clove is barely there and a nice compliment. There is a sweetness to this beer but an alcohol bite comes and balances that out as well. Very good balance.

M: A bit of carbonation that tickles flavors across your tongue and back of your throat. Has a somewhat creamy texture to it that keeps the tastes of fruit and hops lingering on your tongue. A touch of alcohol warmth rests on your throat.

D: This is a great brew. One is enough because the alcohol is pretty high and this is a complex beer. It has a lot going on here. I can drink this beer but it will be one a night and I would need a break for a little while. Still a great brew.

06-14-2008 02:20:42 | More by everetends
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

500 ml bottle acquired via DLD trade with SPLITGRIN!

Pours a cloudy amber golden, very nice bright colour, thick white head forms, sticks around, leaves lots of lace and settles to a thick layer, lots of chunkies from a bit of sediment that was stirred up during the pour. Smell is honey, wheat, vanilla, citrus and floral hops, banana, some light spice and alcohol, quite yeasty. Taste is honey and wheat, very nice citrus/oranges flavours, yeast, banana, quite hoppy, some bready malt, lightly bitter finish, very refreshing. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation, goes down very easy with great flavours, I like.

06-14-2008 01:31:45 | More by Viggo
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. sampled june 13/08.

pours deep golden yellow with just a touch of haze. a big white head forms, dropping slowly and leaving a bit of spotty lace.

aroma is great. lots of bright fresh slightly sweet citrus - orange, tangerine, mandarin orange. touch of light clove. cracker and white bread. touch of grain. bit of alcohol.

taste is good. medium-low bitterness level. nice fresh citrus character. orange and tangerine again, but less sweet than i expected from the aroma. floral and slightly perfumey. bit of alcohol. wheat bread and cracker. touch of grain. bit of clove, but nicely restrained so that it doesn't clash with the hops.

mouthfeel is good. just over medium carbonation level. fairly light body.

drinkability is good. nicely balanced, light and easy drinking.

06-14-2008 01:29:58 | More by grub
joeysmokedporter

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a sam adams glass.

A: Pours clear golden orange at first, then when the yeast is roused, amazingly cloudy. A little bit of head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: A sweet malt aroma combines with a spicy, floral hop smell. The weizen banana/clove is also present, although the clove can be difficult to distinguish from the hops. Even without head the aroma is very forthcoming.

T: Wow. Starts with a malt sweetness that moves into a complex combination of earthy, floral hops, the weizen flavors, then finishing with a dry bitterness that tapers off quickly. Balance is on the malt and hops with the weizen flavors in the background but prominent enough to add a nice complexity.

M: For a weizen, this is a medium/heavy body. Carbonation is low for the style. Although the body probably works in favor of accenting the various flavors in the profile.

D: While this is a pretty big beer for a weizen, it is very drinkable and much more complex. These are difficult flavors to weave together; I didn't believe it could be done but Garret and Hans-Peter have made magic with this beer. The Brooklyn Schneider is also a very good bet.

06-13-2008 23:51:10 | More by joeysmokedporter
brentk56

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a sturdy head that sticks forever but only leaves a few dots of lace

Smell: Quite the unusual aroma, with herbal hops combined with the green banana and clove; the combination is somewhat medicinal and the alcohol peeking through adds to that effect

Taste: Herbacious, grassy flavors compete with the clove and banana in a do-si-do; lemony as well; after the swallow, the bitter hoppy flavors moderate and it takes on more of the weizenbock character, albeit quite lemony

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with buoyant carbonation; some warmth in the gullet, too

Drinkability: From the outset the hoppy flavors compete with the weizen flavors and while it may be a draw, my taste buds are the losers; the combination just doesn't work for me

06-13-2008 00:32:12 | More by brentk56
ohmybock

Georgia

2.6/5  rDev -36.3%

This is a .5L bottle of the latest batch from Schneider. (The label has changed a bit from the original release.) I bought a few bottles of the first batch, but I didn't like them. They all had a mild sour flavor...like something was wrong with them. Thankfully, this new bottle does not have the same problem. Still, I'm not a huge fan of this brew. I love hoppy American and European brews, plus I love German-style weizen beers. However, this uber hoppy weizen brew just don't seem to work for me. In this Schneider version, there's a prevalent soapy character I just can't get past. It's in the aroma and the taste, and I figure it's from the hop variety used. Unfortunately for me, the character takes me back to when I was a kid and said a bad word. My Mom's punishment for my mistake was having me suck on a bar of bath soap. Although not as horrible as that, this beer has a soapy character and bitterness that brought me right back to those old forgotten days of gagging on a bar of soap. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish the bottle, but at the same time I doubt I'll be buying this brew again. I tried this bottle side-by-side with the Brooklyn version (and I've also had the similar-in-style New Glarus Imperial Weizen). It seems like I should like all three of those brews a lot, but alas I guess it's not meant to be. Maybe if they used the same wonderful hops as in Sam Adams Imperial Pils, I would like all them better? I'm not sure. As it stands, Aventinus is one of my all-time favorite brews. I also think the Aventinus Eisbock and regular Schneider Weisse are very good. I love that Schneider is trying something different with the Hopfen-Weisse, but I'll stick with Schneider's other offerings.

06-12-2008 21:27:48 | More by ohmybock
AlexJ

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Pale hazed dirty yellow with a massive billowing head that forms stiff rocky peaks. Retention is superb with thick lace crusting my Prima Pils glass.

Aroma is huge and mouthwatering. Pungent clove spice and fresh banana bread. There's an awesome yeast note with light crushed rock minerality. THeres sweet fruit and green herbal and floral hops. Complex and spicy nose.

Flavor certainly exceeds all expectations. It simply bursts with Bavarian goodness, clove, banana, cinnamon, minerals, and crisp grass, herbs, and floral hops. I love the bitterness factor. Light undertones of spiced pears and apple emerge as it warm.

Body is medium, creamy, slick, and slippery on the tongue. Carbonation is fluffy and expansive. Excellent drinkability in spite of it's strength. Another first tier beer from the boys in Brooklyn. Well done.

06-11-2008 23:41:44 | More by AlexJ
wagenvolks

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

0.5l bottle into a beer mug.

My expectations for the Schneider version of Hopfen-Weisse is very high, perhaps unfairly so, as I absolutely loved the Brooklyn version. A slow pour of the bottle builds a towering, 2" thick light golden head that shows no intention of receding. Fervent carbonation bubbles upwards through a hazy, peach body. The aroma is distinctively german Hallertau, with notes of spicy, grassy hops, crystal-wheat malts, and fruity yeast esthers.

The taste is quite close to the Brooklyn version, with the main differences being a spicier hop note, more clove, and a sweeter, thicker malt base in the former. Both are good, but I think the American version pulls off a slightly better flavor profile. I do appreciate the spiced, zesty hop bite on the finish of Schneider's Hopfen-Weisse, which rounds out a medium-bodied, well-carbonated mouthfeel. All in all, this beer was outshined (although barely) by Brooklyn's version, but as far as price goes ($3.99 for 500 ml. vs. $12.99 for 750ml), Schneider is far easier on the wallet.

06-10-2008 23:47:06 | More by wagenvolks
oggg

3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bomber from specialty store in midtown. $11.99

This beer pours an orangey light brown color with plenty of small bubbles that initially foams up to a sizable head with only modest retention. On the nose I get a light clove scent amid a pronounced noble hop aroma. Very floral. Faint suggestion of banana. My wife suggested grapefruit. On the first taste out of the bottle, the beer is awful -- bitter and tangy. Given a second, the beer seems to calm down, and you really do get the sense of a thick hefeweizen topped with a big chunk of German hops. It's fairly sweet, and there is a lot of messiness with esters and phenols. The hop bite is at the level of an English IPA, or maybe a bit more.

Overall: Not really my cup of tea, although I do appreciate Schneider's focus on clove and not banana.

06-10-2008 14:14:35 | More by oggg
JoeyBeerBelly

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

16.9 oz bottle served in a weisse glass.

L - murky orange/brown with a huge white head that eventually fell to a layer, leaving some bits of lacing.

S - sweet and spicy yeast aromas.

T - sweet taste of malts is met with hop bitterness on the finish. Very good balance of flavors.

F - medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel.

D - easy to drink a few, but watch the abv.

06-08-2008 20:51:01 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Appears a hazy clouded golden tangerine hue with a creamy hued billowing large bubbled head. As the last of the bottle empties the body becomes even cloudier more yeast adding to the mix causes the brew to look like a tropical banana smoothie. Head has great retention here with intricate even lacing clinging to my glass. Aromatics come with fresh zesty herbal hops very spicy with yeast esters and malted barley notes providing sweetness. A touch of banana but much more citrus than anything else, also an air of alcohol can be picked up. It really tickles the nose hairs. Flavor is great herbal zesty almost minty hop bursts layered with a big traditional wheat beer takes hoppy wheat ales to another level. The esters are somewhat lost in the mix of hops and alcohol at 8.2 percent by volume. Most hefe and wezinbocks tend to be overly sweet that is not the case here, aggressive Euro hops are fresh with grassy herbal and citrus notes, zesty wheat kick with the yeast playing such a big role in the overall mix of flavors with a dough like presence. Esters created by fermentation are evident but overshadowed by the hops and alcohol which I really enjoy. Again overall I get a minty sensation in the flavor. Mouthfeel brings effervescent carbonation trademark for good weizens, hop oils remains as well given it a slick feel really sticks around on the palate and almost coats the teeth. Drinkability is excellent creative cooperation between two great brewers it doesn't get better than this now I have to give the Brooklyn Brewing version with the American hops I believed they used Saphir hops in this brew. It goes without saying but you need to try this beer and definitely compare and contrast it with the other brew.

06-08-2008 19:41:26 | More by WVbeergeek
daledeee

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Hoppy wheat beer??

I am willing try about anything once; maybe not twice.

This beer pours a nice cloudy orange yellow with a fluffy white head. The aroma of citrus and hops exudes as you pour. The bottle developed an incredible amount of foam from the pour.

Taste is very very good. Hops and citrus blend along with some banana. Mouthfeel is quite bubbly. Very invigorating. Alcohol is very warming.

This is one of the best wheat beers I have ever had.

06-07-2008 23:51:17 | More by daledeee
scottg

Vermont

4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Pours an cloudy orange/gold color with a one finger white head. Wheat, banana, lemon, floral, sweet citrusy hops aromas all mix together. Sweet malt flavor, wheat and banana up front leads to a nice yeast and sweet orange hop flavor. Light to medium body, medium carbonation, this is a clean, crisp, and refreshing beer, easy to drink. Great partnership between two fantastic brewers!

06-06-2008 20:51:45 | More by scottg
NJpadreFan

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Schneider- Hopfen Weisse

A- Cloudy golden yellow with the biggest fluffiest head. Thick chunky lacing down the glass.
S- Strong cloves, grapefruit, and pepper.
T- Sweet spicey pepper and clove come at you first followed by a dry wheat flavor thats infused with grapefruit rind hops.
M- Sweet and dry with an intense flavorful, and slightly bozy, finish.

Overall- Quite delicious! Easy to pound, even at 8.2% abv. A definite sumer beer.

06-06-2008 19:14:10 | More by NJpadreFan
vtfan77

A- Pours a nice, clear orangey yellow with a big, fluffy white head and... oops, there goes the yeast! I should have been more careful with that. It clouds the beer up quite a bit, leaving little chunks visible. That's my fault for not being more careful and swirling the yeast around some before pouring it in.

S- Sweet bananas and cloves are accented by a tangy herbal hoppiness. Quite appetizing.

T- Tastes a lot like it smells, only the hops mute out some of the banana and clove flavors. Still, the hops and the usual weizen flavors meld pretty nicely. The alcohol comes through from time to time. Even with all the hops, the finish is only moderately bitter.

M- Light-medium in body with a nice, high level of carbonation.

D- One will do me just fine. The alcohol is a bit much for multiple servings.

An interesting beer, and a good one. It reminded me quite a bit of Schneider Weisse, only with more hops and alcohol. Not one for everyday drinking, but a good choice for someone looking to try something a bit different. Now I need to get my hands on the Brooklyner-Schneider one. Recommended.

06-05-2008 20:15:25 | More by vtfan77
dasenebler

Maine

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Did not really know what to expect with this one. It's totally different from anything Brooklyn does, and also nothing like the standard Schneider-Weisse. The nose is quite hoppy and citrusy for a wheat beer, showing this brew's dry-hopped character.

Poured with a fluffy, foamy head that was quite large and stuck around for a while. The color was interesting: a really pale brown almost grey hue. Initial taste was quite intriguing and almost shocking. This wheat beer is full flavored and bitter with a complex almost smoky/earthy quality. Also spicy and hoppy, but not overwhelming. Highly drinkable, and on first tasting you'd never think it was 8.2 abv. A really interesting brew that I have to try again.

06-04-2008 06:16:59 | More by dasenebler
TasteTester

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Wow, where to begin. I had expectations for this beer, and I was completely stunned. I expected a taste of a Brooklyn beer here and it tasted like a Schneider. Could not tell that Oliver/Drexler switched breweries for this collaboration. Also paired this with the Brooklyner-Schneider in a side by side with friends.

A - Nice cloudy, hefe color. Light head on a soft pour.

S - Good aroma, more bananas than anything else. Slight earthiness of hops.

T - Tasted the bananas from the get-go. Subtle banana/citrus taste with a calming hops after bite.

M - This beer has a lot of texture.

D - Not really sure. Could probably have another and call it a good night.

06-04-2008 03:40:19 | More by TasteTester
Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse from Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH